PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rararoxsox
06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I used to love this thread...I got so many ideas of new books to read from fellow members, so I figured I would revive it!

Currently reading:

Motley Crue - the dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

-and-

Artie Lange: Too Fat To Fish

Lord Hypnos
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm reading In the Time of The Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

twiggysrabies
06-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm currently reading

The Mayor Of Castro Street by Randy Shilts

and

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy [The Omnibus edition] - Douglas Adams

21Faces
06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting. It's pretty insightful. Makes you watch movies in a whole different way.

Celiny-O
06-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Macbeth.
As well as the 2009 Job Guide. :P

illmindedchild
06-23-2009, 04:06 AM
Currently reading Russel Brand - my booky wook

and i have 'and the ass saw the angel' - nick cave waiting on the shelf once i finish the first one.

i havent read in years but its nice to be reading again.

Miss Lisa
06-23-2009, 04:15 AM
I shall toy between starting 'Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets' (the French edition of Chamber of Secrets) and 'La Peau de Chagrin' by Balzac.

'La Peau de Chagrin' smells like the old board game Ludo we had at my nanna's house :-S

Ich_Bin_Du
06-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Yesterday my new book arrived, I offered it on Amazon:

Stephen King - The Wastelands (The Dark Tower III)

I'll start to read it when my holidays begin. (Next week) I really loved the first two Dark Tower books and I hope this will be great, too. Btw the German titles are stupid. Instead of translating 'wastelands' into German ('ödnis'), they called the book "tot." which means "dead.". -.-

rararoxsox
06-23-2009, 05:36 AM

I'll start to read it when my holidays begin. (Next week) I really loved the first two Dark Tower books and I hope this will be great, too. Btw the German titles are stupid. Instead of translating 'wastelands' into German ('ödnis'), they called the book "tot." which means "dead.". -.-

I used to have a huge passion for Stephen King, but I haven't read anything he's come out in the past five years.

Maybe it's time to start again...

Ich_Bin_Du
06-23-2009, 05:49 AM

I used to have a huge passion for Stephen King, but I haven't read anything he's come out in the past five years.

You should give the new stuff a chance. ;)

CellarOwl
06-23-2009, 09:34 AM
The Sandman and Death comics 'cos I'm a reformed goth dork.
The Fall by Albert Camus
A Leonard Cohen bio
And some collected poetry by Leonard Cohen and Sylvia Plath

The last time I was busy reading so many books at once, two of the characters in them shared the same name and I got the whole mess confused.

rararoxsox
06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
[quote="Ich_Bin_Du":303zhrii]Yesterday my new book arrived, I offered it on Amazon:

You should give the new stuff a chance. ;)[/quote:303zhrii]

I plan on it, but my problem is that I always have anywhere from two to four books going at once.

If and when I do plan on reading him again, I want his books to be my main focus of reading.

Dark Faery
06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm reading Strange Highways by Dean Koontz. It's good. Well the initial story is. There are 12 novelettes to follow. I wish there wasn't as I feel like the initial story has been somewhat rushed. He could have gone into much more detail with the story than he has. The next 12 tales seem shorter again, so I'll see how it goes.

I've read a lot of Dean Koontz books, but the best one for me was the first one I read, called Watchers. That was my favourite Dean Koontz book. None of his other books has ever lived up to it. Not yet anyway.

cyborg assassin
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Yesterday I finished reading James Russell's 'The Germanization of Early Medieval Christianity: A Sociohistorical Approach to Religious Transformation'. It isn't an easy read, but it is a very rewarding book and I learnt a lot from reading it.

BirdmadGirl
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Re-reading Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. I forgot how hilarious the book is, even if he made a lot of it up.

zwiebelsaft
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
For school, I have to read A Prayer for Owen Meany. Oi Vey.

spaceSuicide
06-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Bringing this back home for the book nerds.

I'm currently still on this, great too. If you like her pick it up, very informative.

http://lipsticklifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/9780061684388_13168772_o.jpg

What did you last read? What are you reading now?

rararoxsox
06-24-2009, 07:22 AM
^ I just got that for my birthday last week. Read it all on a Saturday afternoon.

And I agree, very informative indeed!

S.D.
06-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Successfully merged.

Deft One
06-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Paint It Black - Janet Fitch.

Aphrodyte
06-24-2009, 08:03 AM
The Colorado Kid by Stephen King.

mchammer
06-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Strange Brains and Genius by Clifford Pickover.

Peaches
06-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I am currently not reading ANYTHING because the libraries and bookstores around here FUCKING SUCK.
I've been looking for a certain book for about 2 weeks now, and NOBODY has it.
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to suck it up and spend money (which I don't have) and buy it offline because I want to read this book really bad.
:(

BirdmadGirl
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
^ That sucks. I very rarely buy books because I rarely read them more than once so they end up collecting dust and taking up space. In fact, I have to go buy a new bookcase today because the one I have isn't large enough to hold everything.

Does anyone try donating unwanted books to your local library? I bought Invisible Monsters last year after waiting two months to get it from the library. The only copy was lost so after I read it I tried to donate it to them but they wouldn't take it. Apparently, they only accept monetary donations...?

spaceSuicide
06-24-2009, 10:10 AM
^ I just got that for my birthday last week. Read it all on a Saturday afternoon.

And I agree, very informative indeed!

It has great photos of her art and tattoo work. Love it.

Successfully merged.

LOL.

I successfully failed. I didn't even see this thread!

Maniac Master
06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Stephen Kings "Duma Key"
need to finish it today. <.<

twiggysrabies
06-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I am currently not reading ANYTHING because the libraries and bookstores around here FUCKING SUCK.
I've been looking for a certain book for about 2 weeks now, and NOBODY has it.
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to suck it up and spend money (which I don't have) and buy it offline because I want to read this book really bad.
:(

What book are you looking to read? We've got some really cool used bookshops around here, and I'd be willing to see if one around here has it. I could send it off to you. Don't worry, no monies necessary.

Amanda
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
"Out of the Shadows: An Exploration of Dark Paganism" by John J. Coughlin.

Coma_White_917
06-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Not currently, but the last two books I read were To Kill a Mocking Bird and Romeo and Juliet.

Ich_Bin_Du
06-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Stephen Kings "Duma Key"
need to finish it today. <.<
Good choice, I really like that book! :D

Joker
06-25-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm reading 'Memnoch' by Anne Rice. I recently finished 'The Vampire Lestat' (again) - but I can't seem to find a copy of 'The Queen Of The Damned' anywhere. Bloody thing,

Seven
06-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I am currently reading Longitude by Dava Sobel. I've had it for ages but never got round to reading it before. I not long ago finished reading 'They Have Their Exits' by Airey Neaves, which is a biography of his life during and shortly after the war. It was very interesting.

I literally have 3 big piles of books to get through, can't stop myself buying them.

thedarkhorse
06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm currently reading My Early Life by Winston Churchill and Harry Potter for the 500th time.

Michael
06-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Chuck Palahniuk (in general) and to be more precise: Invisible Monsters
It moved me deeply and was the entry point for his other works which are (nearly) all excellent.

John Milton: Paradise Lost
A wonderful tale about humanity (and not about Satan) which is often cited by many artists (especially Manson)

Dante Alighieri: La Divina Comedia
Like Paradise Lost this delivers basic knowledge about many references made art history (including Manson). Beside that you have the bonus of reading one of the most beautiful prose ever written.

Friedrich Nietzsche: (in general) and to be more precise: Jenseits von Gut und Böse
Everyone thinks he knows Nietzsche, few have really read him and even fewer can claim to understand even half of his writings. You should start with Der Antichrist or Also sprach Zarathustra but my favourite is Jenseits von Gut und Böse. The reasons are too complex too state in one or two sentences. Feel free to ask in social media though :)

H.P. Lovecraft (in general) and to be more precise: The Call of Cthulhu (most will know this) but please also check out his non-horror piece The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

Plain and simple the granddaddy of modern horror. Beside that he was a xenophob (in the literal sense of the word) but also wrote a dream cycle of unbelievable beauty.

Lord Hypnos
06-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Dante Alighieri: La Divina Comedia
Like Paradise Lost this delivers basic knowledge about many references made art history (including Manson). Beside that you have the bonus of reading one of the most beautiful prose ever written.

Yes, this trilogy is probably the best books I've ever read. I love the John Ciardi translation

LittleHorn1053
06-26-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm currently reading "For Whom The Bell Tolls" By Hemingway and "Women" By Bukowski.

pleasurevictim
06-27-2009, 01:51 AM

This is crazy that you just finished this book (cowritten by Neil Strauss) because I came here to post that I had just finished his book, THE GAME: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pick Up Artists (remember: Strauss cowrote THE LONG HARD ROAD OUT OF HELL)

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Penetrating- ... 462&sr=8-4 (http://www.amazon.com/Game-Penetrating-Secret-Society-Artists/dp/0060554738/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246092462&sr=8-4)

This was a fascinating read. As a woman I am repulsed by what I read and at the same time, I couldn't stop reading until it was done. SPOILER: The conclusion Strauss reaches is that the techniques that can be used to pick a woman up are a completely different skill from maintaining a relationship with a woman. Duh.

R_Flagg
06-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Today I bought Dissecting Marilyn Manson by Gavin Baddeley. I'm not that far in yet but it's already a fascinating read, and makes me wish I was born 5 years earlier.

Maniac Master
06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Good choice, I really like that book! :D

you really know that one? :D
didn't expect that, to be honest.^^

Not Mechanical
06-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I've just restarted 1984, an excellent book.

Lord Hypnos
06-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Today I bought Dissecting Marilyn Manson by Gavin Baddeley. I'm not that far in yet but it's already a fascinating read, and makes me wish I was born 5 years earlier.

I heard that it has a lot of mistakes in it. Not too sure about that though.

Ich_Bin_Du
06-28-2009, 02:14 AM
[quote="Ich_bin_du":3nzj7hwg]Good choice, I really like that book! :D

you really know that one? :D
didn't expect that, to be honest.^^[/quote:3nzj7hwg]

I know many Stephen King books, not only the popular ones like "Cujo" or "The Green Mile" or so. ;)

Lecter
06-28-2009, 02:18 AM
The Metamorphosis by Frank Kafka

Funndeath
06-28-2009, 11:27 AM
"Women" By Bukowski.

I've just restarted 1984, an excellent book.
The Metamorphosis by Frank Kafka
Great choices, guys.
I'm currently reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I really like Dostoevsky, I love the depth of his characters and how he totally has the pulse of his society. I'm really liking this book except I'm not really in the groove of reading for some reason. I'm distracted.
Last book I read was Naked Lunch.

Alexandra
06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Currently "reading" 1940s: Decades of the 20th Century by Nick Yapp
I have an awful weakness for art books, albums, etc. I like to "feed" my eyes with interesting photographs that in this case tell a story. Actually, I love these photographs so much I'm planning to get all the ten books ^^

Friedrich Nietzsche: (in general) and to be more precise: Jenseits von Gut und Böse
Everyone thinks he knows Nietzsche, few have really read him and even fewer can claim to understand even half of his writings. You should start with Der Antichrist or Also sprach Zarathustra but my favourite is Jenseits von Gut und Böse. The reasons are too complex too state in one or two sentences. Feel free to ask in social media though :)

I thought about reading Also sprach Zarathustra but in Poland it's really tough to buy any book in English and I don't want to "spoil" it by reading in Polish, so I'll just wait till I visit NY on next holiday :)

Michael
06-28-2009, 12:10 PM
I thought about reading Also sprach Zarathustra but in Poland it's really tough to buy any book in English and I don't want to "spoil" it by reading in Polish, so I'll just wait till I visit NY on next holiday :)

Since Nietzsche was a German and thus wrote everything in German it doesnt matter if you are "spoiled" by the English or the Polish translation.

Alexandra
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Since Nietzsche was a German and thus wrote everything in German it doesnt matter if you are "spoiled" by the English or the Polish translation.

Well, yes. But I might enjoy the book more in English, since I think it's a beautiful language. It's just my silly, personal preference.

Maniac Master
06-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I know many Stephen King books, not only the popular ones like "Cujo" or "The Green Mile" or so. ;)

well, i did read Cujo, but ive never read Green Mile. :D
Shining was one of them that fascinated me most, i read it in 2 days.

Joker
06-28-2009, 02:59 PM
[quote="Ich_bin_du":1d4mj4dr]I know many Stephen King books, not only the popular ones like "Cujo" or "The Green Mile" or so. ;)

Shining was one of them that fascinated me most, i read it in 2 days.[/quote:1d4mj4dr]
Have you read Misery? That's an excellent book.
Stephen King's best work is, in my opinion, the Dark Tower series. Epic.

R_Flagg
06-29-2009, 03:37 AM
[quote="R_Flagg":3asqehf8]Today I bought Dissecting Marilyn Manson by Gavin Baddeley. I'm not that far in yet but it's already a fascinating read, and makes me wish I was born 5 years earlier.

I heard that it has a lot of mistakes in it. Not too sure about that though.[/quote:3asqehf8]

Nah not really. So far I spotted one tiny mistake, a voice sample that's used on My Monkey and he said it appeared on Wrapped In Plastic. Other than that it's pretty accurate. I like the fact it's not just about Manson or the band itself but also has lots of details on his influences and references.

Ich_Bin_Du
06-29-2009, 06:23 AM
[quote="Ich_bin_du":247005od]I know many Stephen King books, not only the popular ones like "Cujo" or "The Green Mile" or so. ;)

Shining was one of them that fascinated me most, i read it in 2 days.[/quote:247005od]
Yeah, Shining is great (but the beginning is a little boring in my opinion...). And you have to read The Green Mile, I love it! It's not a typical Stephen King story, more a sad story, but it's great!

Maniac Master
06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
okay, i'll do. :)
i know the movie and that one is just wonderful!

Have you read Misery? That's an excellent book.
Stephen King's best work is, in my opinion, the Dark Tower series. Epic.

yes, we read Misery in school some years ago. it's awesome! :)
but i haven't read just one book of the dark tower series, unfortunately...

Ich_Bin_Du
06-29-2009, 10:33 AM
okay, i'll do. :)
i know the movie and that one is just wonderful!

Yep, the movie is great as well. :D

but i haven't read just one book of the dark tower series, unfortunately...

Schande über dein Haupt! xD Buy them, read them. I have the first three books and they're awesome.

MilkAndCookies
06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I used to love this thread...I got so many ideas of new books to read from fellow members, so I figured I would revive it!

Currently reading:

-and-

Artie Lange: Too Fat To Fish

Too Fat To Fish is a really good read. The stories of his dad are heartwrenching. Lange has lived one hell of a fucked up life, that's for sure. Apparently he's already working on another autobiography detailing more experiences that weren't in the first book. He's one of those guys who seems to have crammed 3 lifetimes worth of experiences (mostly bad) into his short existence.

I've had The Dirt for ages, but have yet to get around to it. I picked it up after reading The Heroin Diaries. The Heroin Diaries was just a bit disappointing. It was really good for about the first half, but at some point every entry became a redundant repetition of the previous. It was a quick read and was definitely entertaining enough to keep me turning the page, though. I hear The Dirt is much better, so I look forward to that in the future.

Currently I'm reading Agent Of Evolution. It's an amazing biography on Bill Hicks, written by his close friend Kevin Booth with contributions by other friends. I had previously read American Scream and this blows that biography out of the water. Agent has the insight -both good and bad- that only his closest friends could share.

Lord Hypnos
06-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King. My first Stephen King book. :D

R_Flagg
06-29-2009, 04:55 PM
That's my favourite SK book. :D

MilkAndCookies
06-29-2009, 04:59 PM

That was a weird book for me. I found large portions to be extremely boring. I think the reason is that King set out to write an epic novel, so instead of letting the story write itself he forced a lot of the backstory, character development, etc...

However, upon watching the movie I grew a greater appreciation for the book. The movie completely left out my two favorite parts of the book, plus I absolutely hated how they handled the transformation of Harold. On the bright side, the movie cut some of the pointless characters and trimmed out all of the boring stretches.

It was a good movie in its own right, and I can't fault 'em that much for not including everything I enjoyed from a 1200 page tome into a 4 hour (?) miniseries, but like I said, the film gave me a greater appreciation for the book.

Lord Hypnos
06-29-2009, 05:14 PM

That was a weird book for me. I found large portions to be extremely boring. I think the reason is that King set out to write an epic novel, so instead of letting the story write itself he forced a lot of the backstory, character development, etc...

However, upon watching the movie I grew a greater appreciation for the book. The movie completely left out my two favorite parts of the book, plus I absolutely hated how they handled the transformation of Harold. On the bright side, the movie cut some of the pointless characters and trimmed out all of the boring stretches.

It was a good movie in its own right, and I can't fault 'em that much for not including everything I enjoyed from a 1200 page tome into a 4 hour (?) miniseries, but like I said, the film gave me a greater appreciation for the book.

Thank you! I didn't know that there was a movie based on it. I chose this book because people say that it's a masterpiece, great etc. I started today, but it's really good so far. Should I watch the movie first then read it? Though I'm a bit startled that the movie is better than the book. I never hear that. O_o

MilkAndCookies
06-29-2009, 05:20 PM
[quote="Synyster Gates":7x5yqst1]I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King. My first Stephen King book. :D

Thank you! I didn't know that there was a movie based on it. I chose this book because people say that it's a masterpiece, great etc. I started today, but it's really good so far. Should I watch the movie first then read it? Though I'm a bit startled that the movie is better than the book. I never hear that. O_o[/quote:7x5yqst1]

No, I'm not saying that the movie is better than the book. I'm saying that the movie gave me a greater appreciation for the book. Honestly, I don't even compare the two in therms of which is better. They both have their good and bad points.

Do not watch the movie first. It's better to read a book and draw the pictures in your own head than to already have faces to go with the characters. Though I will say that with one or two exceptions, they did a fantastic job casting the movie.

Lord Hypnos
06-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Ah, I see. I confused what you said so I thought you meant it was better. This should be a rather long read, but I hope it keeps me interested as it's my introduction to Stephen King. If I don't like it, I'll come back to you and ask what better suggestions there are for his books. Thanks :)

Cassandra
06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I started reading Brave New World awhile ago but had to stop for awhile because other things kept getting in the way. I just recently started reading it again. I'm loving it so far.

Maniac Master
06-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Schande über dein Haupt! xD Buy them, read them. I have the first three books and they're awesome

i was in the library today and i found a bunch of them, but i didn't know which one is the firt part, so i decided to read another one first...
:D

Ich_Bin_Du
06-30-2009, 09:22 AM
[quote="Ich_bin_du":2nmiibuo]Schande über dein Haupt! xD Buy them, read them. I have the first three books and they're awesome

i was in the library today and i found a bunch of them, but i didn't know which one is the firt part, so i decided to read another one first...
:D[/quote:2nmiibuo]
The first one is "Schwarz". Go to the library again. xD

Coma_White_917
07-04-2009, 05:00 AM
High Hopes

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/ba/8e/45734310fca07ad3bb5a6010.L._AA240_.jpg

and
Amityville: The Nightmare Continues

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/Amityville_-_The_Nightmare_Continues_book_cover.jpg

21Faces
07-04-2009, 05:39 AM
http://a6.vox.com/6a00d4143530913c7f00cd972f6dce4cd5-500pi

Best book on screenwriting I've ever read. It's taken my work so much farther, just off the first 100 pages so far.

Ripper
07-04-2009, 06:16 AM
In the last couple of weeks I've read 'Love all the People' which is a collection of Bill Hicks routines, letters and other odds and ends. I read 'The Zombie Survival Guide' by Max Brooks and re-read 'La Nauseé' by Jean-Paul Sartre.

Ich_Bin_Du
07-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Stephen King - Needful Things

Is pretty good so far. :D

Maniac Master
07-04-2009, 09:19 AM
it'll get better.^^

Funndeath
07-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Tintin and the Prisoners of the Sun
Asterix and the Magic Carpet
Asterix and the Secret Weapon
Asterix and Obelix All at Sea
My brother bought some of the Tintin and Asterix books, revisiting our childhood.
after the quake by Haruki Murakami, just getting into his work. I really loved his short stories, brilliant. Very Kafkaesque at points, specially the abrupt endings that catch you off gaurd and make you rethink the entire thing.
I bought some more books - Norwegian Wood, another Murakami. Also bought Elephants on Acid, and other bizzare experiments by Alex Boese
Ishamel by Daniel Quinn
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
I'm getting very distracted from my Dostoevsky, I like his depth into his characters and I love the psychology behind it, but these bloody Russian writers, there's just something with them. Somehow Crime and Punishment was a much faster read. I think I need a period of total solitude to finish this book, because it is quite interesting.

cyborg assassin
07-05-2009, 06:11 AM
I have recently read:
Paul Gottfried- After Liberalism: Mass Democracy in the Managerial State.
Paul Gottfried- Conservatism in America: Making Sense of the American Right.
Martin J. Wiener- English Culture and the Decline of the Industrial Spirit, 1850-1980.
I am currently reading:
Alan Macfarlane- The Origins of English Individualism: Family, Property and Social Transition.

Seven
07-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I just reread Paul Dirac's 'The Principles of Quantum Mechanics'. I need a break now so I am back on a Terry Pratchett kick. Most excellent.

Ich_Bin_Du
07-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Today I'll start with "The Lord Of The Rings".
I haven't read it before (don't kill me :P), and I think it's time now.

R_Flagg
07-06-2009, 12:36 PM
The first half of the first book might drag along a bit, don't let that put you off though.

Celiny-O
07-07-2009, 03:17 AM
I'm re-reading The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell yet again.

Ripper
07-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Yesterday I read 'The Colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett and I also started on 'World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War' by Max Brooks.

Funndeath
07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Just finished reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Brilliant book, makes you see so many things in a new light. Sort of depressing, but also inspiring at the same time. Look it up, its a good book.

antichristangel
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Currently reading Atlas Shrugged, which I find to be extremely relevant so far

Sputnik
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Started reading midnight child
so far I'm confused :s

Coma_White_917
07-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I finished theAmityville books now I'm re-reading a book called A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer. I highly recomend it, it's a great book.

Funndeath
07-12-2009, 03:32 AM
A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif. A fictional political thriller surrounding the assasination of Pakistani president Zia Ul Haq. It's pretty engaging so far, and funny.

Maniac Master
07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I actually own a first edition autographed copy of the gunslinger. I have never read that copy, it's wrapped in plastic.

i would do the same, seriously. how did you manage to get your hands on that autographed copy?

i just finished King's Cell. next one will be Green Mile.

Aphrodyte
07-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Stephen King - Duma Key which started great.

Ich_Bin_Du
07-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Stephen King - Duma Key which started great.
The whole book is great. ;)

zwiebelsaft
07-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Earlier, I said that I was reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" for school. Well- in addition to that, I'm also reading The Prince. It's an okay book, but it's one of those classics that are so old that I have no idea what the hell is going on in the book.

Emma
07-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Ghosts of Sleath by James Herbert.

The only book of his I have read before is The Fog - I usually find him over descriptive and a little fanciful and too 'english country garden' if that makes sense, but this I am enjoying.

Celiny-O
07-13-2009, 05:46 PM
The Strawberry Picker by Monika Feth.
Some sort of murder mystery novel.

Lord Hypnos
07-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I just finished In the Time of The Butterflies. Sad sad book.

I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

ThreeEyedGod
07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
The Stand by Stephen King. Pretty great so far, but will probably be no I.T.

yuzukelly
07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
im reading 'woman worrior' about this chinese woman's childhood. it's a book i have to read for summer homework :/ she started telling the story or mulan (i think...) and i thought she was talking about herself and i was completely lost. i caught on in the middle though xD

cyborg assassin
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Robert Higgs- Crisis and Leviathan: Critical Episodes in the Growth of American Government. A very good account of the growth of big government in the United States between the late 1800s and the 1980s, showing how economic and foreign policy crisises were exploited to expand state power.

Sean Gabb- Cultural Revolution, Culture War. One of the best books about the sorry state Great Britain is currently in.

I'm currently reading Geoffrey Fry's 'The Politics of Crisis: An Interpretation of British Politics, 1931-1945'.

Ich_Bin_Du
08-01-2009, 02:57 AM
Just finished "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King, I liked it.
Today I'll start with "1984" by George Orwell. =)

Barbarella
08-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Just finished reading The Life, Legend and Madness of Howard Hughes.

Fascinating read.

And I thought I was weird.

R_Flagg
08-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Started reading Gerald's Game by Stephen King, I hadn't read that one yet.

cyborg assassin
08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Just finished reading The Life, Legend and Madness of Howard Hughes.

Fascinating read.

And I thought I was weird.

I'll have to pick that up some time as from what I've read about him, he does seem to have been a bit of an interesting chap.

Barbarella
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
^ Yeah, give it a go. You'll probably enjoy it.

Joker
08-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm about a quarter through Palahniuk's 'Haunted'.

Thinking that Saint Gut-Free's story is the most disgusting thing I have ever read, in my entire life.

The man's a genius.

Lord Hypnos
08-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451

ThreeEyedGod
08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Archie comics. Heh.

Funndeath
08-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Recently read:
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Great book. Very good flow. The characters are sort of distraught and lonely in their own way, but somehow it felt kind of soothing reading it.
Transmetropolitan: Back on the street by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson. Ah, such an awesome graphic novel. Everything was biting and hilarious. Spider Jerusalem FTW. Why must graphic novels be so expensive? If someone bought me the entire series of Transmetropolitan and Sandman, I would be their slave.
Currently reading:
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Man, every sentence she writes is so poignant. I've only read a little bit so far but, very engaging.

Emma
08-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Columbine by Dave Cullen
Torchwood: Into The Silence by Sarah Pinborough
Domain by James Herbert

Anima XI
08-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm going to start The Kite Runner soon, if I get time.

YDG
08-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Aside from random, ridiculously old books about drugs formerly from my old school's library, I haven't really been reading much lately. o.O
But I do plan to start reading Invisible Monster by Chuck Palahniuk very soon.

Ich_Bin_Du
08-10-2009, 06:15 AM
I started "1984" by George Orwell, it's really good so far!

Golgi Apparatus
08-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog.

It isn't terrible. I'm pretty well acquainted with AIM, but it presents details that I didn't know about. Also, it says a lot about the Native American Church - which I am on the fence about joining.

snog
08-13-2009, 08:10 AM
well, some pulp fiction about a serial killer. my landlady lends me many of these and i love 'em. she also buys and shares with me all those true crime books. ann rule, ect...

as well, i'm currently reading the ' the complete adventures of lucky starr' series by asimov[writing as 'paul french'].

Funndeath
08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Just read "Gorilla" by Shobasakthi, an ex-LTTE soldier who took part in the movement in his teens before escaping to Europe. The novel is written as "autofiction". Frankly, I was a bit disappointed. I expected more, of the narrative. I liked the second half (the part that takes place in France), but the part taking place in Sri Lanka could have been better written. While I do appreciate his brutal honesty, not embellishing or romanticizing any of his experiences, I had hoped for it to be expressed in a more engaging style. Something I liked was that often, when he introduces a character, there is a footnote, telling us about how the person died. I think that's a clever device he's used, not talking about their lives, but about their deaths to depict the outcome of the war. It's an angry work, there's constant antagonism towards the protagonist from all sides, the Sri Lankan army, the Eelam movements, the French government, his family and the people around him. Nothing is what it seems to be. Good for a one time read, it's a slim book anyway.

Lord Hypnos
08-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I just finished reading The Farming of Bones, by Edwidge Danticat. Really good book. Left me salivating for more at the end.

Cassandra
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I just started "Levin Thumps And The Gateway To Foo". It's cute so far, I like the writing style.

cyborg assassin
08-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Following on from the previous book I read, I have been reading Geoffrey Fry's 'The Politics of Decline: An Interpretation of British Politics from the 1940s to the 1970s'. Not bad at all.

Funndeath
08-14-2009, 04:57 AM
Yay yay yay! Cheap books!
Just bought
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n37/n188092.jpg
and http://www.bookcoverarchive.com/images/books/bluebeard.large.jpg
(my cover of Bluebeard is nicer, though). Both came in 75 rupees. Which is like, 1.5 US dollar.
I also bought a James Hadley Chase for 100 bucks the other day. The cover is fucking sexy but I can't find it online.

YDG
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult.

yuzukelly
08-15-2009, 10:20 PM
i just finished reading today no irish no blacks no dogs by johnny rotten. i enjoyed it ^_^

ImNotJesus
08-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Recently I finished The Tommy-Knockers by Stephen King, I loved most of the book up until the ending...then again I've never thought he was brilliant at concluding his novels, save for IT and The Green Mile.

Now, before every gets all "OMG YOU TOOL!" on me, YES I am currently reading Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga. To be precise, in a month I've read the first three, and I am, as we speak, two-thirds through the final book (Breaking Dawn).

It's easy to dismiss them because of the horrific tweeney-bopper hype that surrounds them, as so many people are eager to do, but I'm loving them all because I decided to grit my teeth, throw away my predjudices give the saga a go.

The first book is poorly written to say the least, but Stephenie Meyer has made amazing progress as a writer, and as a result Eclipse and Breaking Dawn are emotionally complex, interesting reads.

The plot line and direction often leaves a little to be desired, but she can write the most amazing, interesting character interaction and development I've seen in a long time.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

KnaveMurdok
08-19-2009, 01:26 AM
I am MUSCLING my way through the Yale Shakespeare collection! I swear to God I will finish this huge fucking tome of verse! Just to say I did it! I'll be the only one of my friends who has read ALL of Shakespeare!

RevManz
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM

lolz, it's an amazing story. the ending is....well, to not spoil it for you, all i can say it will stand out to you.

anyway, current book i'm reading is finally: Long Hard Road Out of Hell. it's pretty cool so far. :) i can't wait 'til i get to the rules of chapter nine i've heard so much about. great way to end the summer!!

Dante Dellamorte
08-19-2009, 11:09 AM
the children of midnight by salman rushdie

Ich_Bin_Du
08-20-2009, 05:35 AM

lolz, it's an amazing story. the ending is....well, to not spoil it for you, all i can say it will stand out to you.

I finished it and the ending was really great.

KnaveMurdok
08-20-2009, 01:04 PM
1984 is one of my all time favourites :) Not just because it's a fantastic story, but it also happens to be the year I was born.
Everyone thought I was nuts when I started reading it in the 7th Grade, but what the fuck do they know, dystopian future stories always got my attention in the right kinda way.

Lord Hypnos
08-21-2009, 04:24 AM
My favorite book is The inferno by Dante Alighieri, and I haven't read it in a while. Maybe I should...

And I agree that 1984 is a fantastic book. If anyone can suggest me any books in the same vein I'll be very happy :)

Ich_Bin_Du
08-21-2009, 05:09 AM
It's great to hear that you guys like "1984", too. :D
Is the movie also good? (I mean the movie that came out in 1984.)

Dante Dellamorte
08-21-2009, 06:41 AM
My favorite book is The inferno by Dante Alighieri, and I haven't read it in a while. Maybe I should...

Thank you very much... :D

Lord Hypnos
08-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Thank you very much... :D

No, thank you ;)

Celiny-O
08-29-2009, 11:46 PM
That book made me cry.

I'm about to start reading the novel of Billy Elliot.
And after that I plan to read Second Star To The Right which is about a young girl with anorexia (I don't think it's based on a true story though).

Lord Hypnos
08-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm currently re-reading The Stand by Stephen King.

R_Flagg
08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Re-reading The Lost World by Michael Crichton. :)

Lord Hypnos
08-30-2009, 05:04 PM
^I actually read it around the time he died.

CellarOwl
09-01-2009, 06:35 AM
How The Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In by Jim Collins.
A preventative measure for as long as I'm still fighting tooth-and-nail for my job.

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer.
But it could be worse. At least I wasn't the father of the atomic bomb.

Epsilon.
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm currently re-reading The Stand by Stephen King.

Nice. I finished re-reading The Stand earlier today. Definitely one of my favorites.

Lord Hypnos
09-02-2009, 04:12 AM
[quote="Synyster Gates":1nsi27fg]I'm currently re-reading The Stand by Stephen King.

Nice. I finished re-reading The Stand earlier today. Definitely one of my favorites.[/quote:1nsi27fg]

Yes, a very good book. My only complain is how wandering it can get, because I have the extended version.

I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, and decided to choose a random Stephen King book. I ended up going with Insomnia. I've yet to read it, but I'm sure I'll like it.

I'm also considering buying The Dark Tower Series, should I?

Ich_Bin_Du
09-02-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm also considering buying The Dark Tower Series, should I?
I only read the first three "Dark Tower" books so far, but they are totally great. You should read them! =)

Epsilon.
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
[quote="Epsilon.":16ytw72z][quote="Synyster Gates":16ytw72z]I'm currently re-reading The Stand by Stephen King.

Nice. I finished re-reading The Stand earlier today. Definitely one of my favorites.[/quote:16ytw72z]

Yes, a very good book. My only complain is how wandering it can get, because I have the extended version.

I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, and decided to choose a random Stephen King book. I ended up going with Insomnia. I've yet to read it, but I'm sure I'll like it.

I'm also considering buying The Dark Tower Series, should I?[/quote:16ytw72z]

Yeah, I know what you mean. The first 2/3 of the book are great, but the ending was anti climatic and kind of disappointing. But whatever, the other parts make up for it.

I was at B&N the other day doing the same thing. I decided to wait on getting anything but I was looking at the first Dark Tower book debating whether or not I should get it. I think you should, I've heard good things about them.

The Green Mile is another great book by SK, if you haven't read it already you should.

Lord Hypnos
09-03-2009, 04:35 AM
[quote="Synyster Gates":1awmlehk][quote="Epsilon.":1awmlehk][quote="Synyster Gates":1awmlehk]I'm currently re-reading The Stand by Stephen King.

Nice. I finished re-reading The Stand earlier today. Definitely one of my favorites.[/quote:1awmlehk]

I'm also considering buying The Dark Tower Series, should I?[/quote:1awmlehk]

Yeah, I know what you mean. The first 2/3 of the book are great, but the ending was anti climatic and kind of disappointing. But whatever, the other parts make up for it.

I was at B&N the other day doing the same thing. I decided to wait on getting anything but I was looking at the first Dark Tower book debating whether or not I should get it. I think you should, I've heard good things about them.

The Green Mile is another great book by SK, if you haven't read it already you should.[/quote:1awmlehk]

I've currently abandoned it in order to finish Insomnia.

I was going to get Green Mile, but I didn't want to go straight into his most famous books, and since I've never heard of Insomnia, I went for it lol. I've heard a lot of good things about Dark Tower as well, but for some reason I don't feel like getting it now. Something's preventing me but I don't know what. :\

Anima XI
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I recently started Lord of Chaos, the 6th book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The series is getting really good =D

snog
09-03-2009, 04:42 PM
the city and the stars by arthur c clark

rararoxsox
09-03-2009, 06:50 PM
All of you King fans out there should read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"

It's pretty amazing.

Funndeath
09-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Bought today at the book fair:
Not Just Milk And Honey - Edited by Haya Hoffman. An anthology of Hebrew short stories.
Hot Days, Long Nights - Edited by Nadezda Obradovic. An anthology of African short stories.
Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet - Illustrated by Emma Vieceli.
No Exit and Three Other Plays - Jean Paul Sartre.
Yayati - V.S Khandekar.
The Necklace and Other Tales - Guy De Maupassant.

All in under a thousand rupees. :)

Coma_White_917
09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Common Sense by Glenn Beck

Epsilon.
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
All of you King fans out there should read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"

It's pretty amazing.

I'll have to check that out next time I go to the bookstore, it sounds pretty cool.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Epsilon023/IloveYou_CV_Final-1-1.jpg

"As a young child, Lac Su made a harrowing escape from the Communists in Vietnam. With a price on his father's head, Lac, with his family, was forced to immigrate in 1979 to seedy West Los Angeles where squalid living conditions and a cultural fabric that refused to thread them in effectively squashed their American Dream. Lac's search for love and acceptance amid poverty—not to mention the psychological turmoil created by a harsh and unrelenting father—turned his young life into a comedy of errors and led him to a dangerous gang experience that threatened to tear his life apart.
Heart-wrenching, irreverent, and ultimately uplifting, I Love Yous Are for White People is memoir at its most affecting, depicting the struggles that countless individuals have faced in their quest to belong and that even more have endured in pursuit of a father's fleeting affection."

This is a very good book, well written, funny and also very sad.

Ich_Bin_Du
09-13-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm reading "Dissecting Marilyn Manson" right now.

YDG
09-17-2009, 12:46 PM
The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

Holocaust_King
09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Produce Your Own Damn Movie! - Lloyd Kaufman

Another informative and entertaining read from the great Uncle Lloyd.

snog
09-19-2009, 05:46 AM
arthur c clark's 3001: the final odyssey; Bound

cyborg assassin
09-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Julian Hoppit- A Land of Liberty?: England 1689-1727. It took a while to read but was worth it.

CellarOwl
09-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Some Great Reward - The Depeche Mode bio. Great little thrift shop find for a buck.

YDG
09-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Pretty Little Dirty by Amanda Boyden

Funndeath
10-01-2009, 07:15 AM
No Exit and other plays - Jean Paul Sartre. Just started.
The last book I read was a biography of Sir Francis Younghusband by Patrick French. Pretty interesting fellow, crazy transformation from being a prudish Victorian imperialist to a believer in free love, alien supreme beings and mysticism.

Cassandra
10-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I just started "The Amulet of Samarkand" by Jonathan Stroud. I like it so far.

YDG
10-06-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm about to start A Life Without Consequences by Stephen Elliot later ^__^

Funndeath
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Last night I read Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut. I've only read his Breakfast of Champions before, but man, he can sure write. So funny and sharp and always draws you in.

Today, I just started reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. Good stuff so far. He really builds an eerie atmosphere.

S.Hal0mega.B
10-10-2009, 04:09 AM
1984, finished it for the third time. Inspiring.

M Tragedy666
10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Whe Will Jesus Bring The PorkChops by George Carlin. Make Your Own Damn Movie was a great book.

Alexandra
10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I finally bought myself a "real" (imported) English book! ^^
It's The Winner Stands Alone by Paulo Coelho. Honestly, I'm slightly disappointed so far, but I'm at the beginning, so probably it'll get more interesting. Though I'll read any book if it's in English ;)

Also, my recent homework was to borrow a book from the school library's (tiny) range of English classics, so I took The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde and Sense and Sensibilty by Jane Austen.

Sputnik
10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Oedipus the King...
for English class.

Ich_Bin_Du
10-13-2009, 07:00 AM
I went to the library today and I got "Frankenstein" by Mary W. Shelley, "Langoliers", "Dolores Claiborne" and "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King.
I think I'll start with "Dolores Claiborne". =)

cyborg assassin
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
G.K. Chesterton- The Man Who Was Thursday.

Love it.

YDG
10-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Smack by Melvin Burgess
It's pretty decent, keeps my interest well enough.

yuzukelly
10-21-2009, 03:48 PM
the last book i fully read was "howl's moving castle". i read it because it's one of my favorite movies :) and it was really good! :D it was pretty different from the movie, but i tend to get bored way too easily when i read and this one kept my attention xD

Lord Hypnos
10-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Night and Lord of Flies. I love reading :D

Golgi Apparatus
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Women by Charles Bukowski. It's a nice relaxing read. I love me some Bukowski.

Cassandra
10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
The Affinity Bridge by George Mann

Funndeath
10-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Women by Charles Bukowski. It's a nice relaxing read. I love me some Bukowski.
That's an awesome book.

I'm reading Nine Lives by William Dalrymple. Really interesting so far, he traces the lives of 9 different people, looking for, as he says - the sacred in modern India. Some amazing stories in here. I love how he he mixes history, travelogue, legend, humor.

Funndeath
11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
^ After that I read The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. It was pretty fucking amazing. Brilliant, swaggering, boozed up, sexed up, murder ballad style prose. Seriously, everyone should read it, specially if you like his music. Its quite like a Grinderman song/Murder Ballad.

I also finished reading Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I loved it, it's amazing. I had seen the movie, which is not a speck on the book and contorts it into something weird, though for some reason I can only imagine Ben Whishaw as Sebastian. I had also seen a bit of the BBC serialization, which was great, but still, the book is just so much more. The book is really subtle, and you really get inside the character's heads, very engaging.

cyborg assassin
11-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Some books I've read recently:

Paul Gottfried- Multiculturalism and The Politics of Guilt: Toward a Secular Theocracy.
Really impressive book.

Simon Heffer- Like the Roman: The Life of Enoch Powell.
A very long (over 1000 pages) but brilliant biography of this fascinating man, the enfant terrible of postwar British politics.

William Gibson- Neuromancer.
I have had a mild on/off interest in cyberpunk for over a decade, so it was probably about time I read this novel! It's good, but it did remind me why I have a mild rather than a major interest in the genre.

Molière- The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, Such Foolish Affected Ladies, The Doctor Despite Himself.
All good plays. I've read the first two before, the others were new to me.

Books I'm planning to read next:

Fiction:
Joseph Conrad- Nostromo.
Charles Dickens- A Tale of Two Cities.

Non-fiction:
Eamon Butler- The Rotten State of Britain: How Gordon Brown Lost A Decade and Cost A Fortune.
Paul Gottfried- The Strange Death of Marxism: The European Left in The New Millenium.
Christopher Caldwell- Reflections on The Revolution in Europe: Can Europe be the Same with Different People in it?
Michael Scheuer- Marching Towards Hell: America and Islam After Iraq.

ThreeEyedGod
11-26-2009, 01:05 AM
The History Of The Wars In The Middle East by Westwood.

YDG
11-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Bout to finish smokin' and start Identical by Ellen Hopkins. Quite a decent author in my opinion, so I have no doubts that I'll enjoy it.

Emma
11-26-2009, 02:35 AM
The Strange Death of Dr David Kelly by Norman Baker MP and The Fall of the House of Bush by Craig Unger

Funndeath
12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Recently read:
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Currently reading:
Jules and Jim - Henri-Pierre Roché

Emma
12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Al Franken: Lies (And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them):

Not Mechanical
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm nearing the end of The Great Gatsby and really enjoying it, anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Ich_Bin_Du
12-09-2009, 09:38 AM
"Langoliers" by Stephen King. I really like it so far!

Funndeath
12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Jules et Jim is amazing. I waited to watch the film (I know, I know) but reading the novel it's just like, how can anyone make a movie out of this. I guess if anyone could it's Truffaut.

Currently reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. It's quite interesting so far. Only read about a hundred pages. It's about a 15 year old who runs away from home and also has a parallel story about a man who is able to converse with cats after a bizarre childhood accident.

Also bought recently:
Arzee the Dwarf - Chandrahas Choudhury
A Doll's House and Other Plays - Henrik Ibsen
Nausea - Jean Paul Sartre
The Master and The Magarita - Mikhail Bulgkakov
Collected Poems - A.K Ramanujan (a fantastic Indian poet, you should really check him out. And also look for his translations of classical Tamil poetry too, they're beautiful)
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
Uncommon People - Eric Hobsbawm

Ich_Bin_Du
12-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I finished "Wizard and Glass" by Stephen King yesterday, I think. Now I started with "Wolves of the Calla".
I totally love the "Dark Tower"- books! :D

Ludwig
01-03-2010, 03:35 AM
I just finished Alice In Sunderland which is fascinating (but probably very boring for anyone not from the North East of England).

I am now reading Nick Cave's The Death Of Bunny Munro and shall then read Death At Intervals by José Saramago.

I also have a copy of Dune that I'm terrified of starting.

Funndeath
01-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Bunny Monro is an awesome book.

I just finished reading Kafka on the Shore. I love Murakami's bizarre dream like world. Where there are talking cats and fish raining from the sky and weird prophesies, but it's also a world full of lonely, isolated, outcasts (each in a different way, whether of their choosing or of circumstance), of Greek tragedies and strangers whose lives are tangled up together. Very engrossing. And racy.
Currently reading: The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham

Not Mechanical
01-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I just finished reading The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis, which was a really great read. Unfortunately I won't be starting anything new for the next couple of weeks because I'll be focusing on exam revision.

ShelfLife
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I've got so many books I want to read (no time to list them all here), but I'm still stuck on Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen. It's a tiny book, but so slow...damn sexy though. Which is probably why I'm not reading it as much, it's rather awkward reading on the train on the way to work. :P

Hopefully I'll finish it today and get right onto Watership Down. I always read it around Christmastime, so I'm overdue. Same with And the Ass Saw the Angel.

Lord Hypnos
01-03-2010, 03:30 PM

I need to start reading them! I told myself I would last year but never got around it. I did manage to finish Insomnia though, which was great.

Angeles
01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M60KXQT3L.jpg

I just started (re)reading this yesterday and will go through the whole series of 7 books over the next month or 2. This will be the 4th time I've read the entire series and each time I do I get something new out of it, it is without doubt the greatest story I have ever read.

For those that are fans of the Dark Tower series, you might be interested to know there is now an online spinoff game , Discordia (http://www.stephenking.com/discordia/), set in the Dark Tower universe which centres on the conflict between the Tet Corporation and Sombra/North Central Positronics.

I finished "Wizard and Glass" by Stephen King yesterday, I think. Now I started with "Wolves of the Calla".

Glad to see that there are other members here along for the journey with the Ka-tet of the Nineteen and Ninety-nine. :)

I need to start reading them! I told myself I would last year but never got around it. I did manage to finish Insomnia though, which was great.

Yes, you very much need to get started on the epic quest to The Dark Tower.

Maniac Master
01-04-2010, 06:59 AM
currently i'm reading a book that deals with analyzes of the historical backgrounds of Asterix-comics.
it's interesting, seriously.^^

Anima XI
01-04-2010, 07:52 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M60KXQT3L.jpg

I just started (re)reading this yesterday and will go through the whole series of 7 books over the next month or 2. This will be the 4th time I've read the entire series and each time I do I get something new out of it, it is without doubt the greatest story I have ever read.

That's cool, I've always wanted to read the Dark Tower series, that's next on my list of series' to read =)

Right now I'm still on the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. If only I could find Book 7, A Crown of Swords I'd start reading that.. So far I'm loving the series though.

Ich_Bin_Du
01-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Glad to see that there are other members here along for the journey with the Ka-tet of the Nineteen and Ninety-nine. :)

:)
I finished "Wolves of the Calla" today. Damn, I can't wait to read "Song of Susannah"!

That's cool, I've always wanted to read the Dark Tower series, that's next on my list of series' to read =)

I can just recommend them warmly to you.

DecayingSinner
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Just finishing up a book on astrology and have a book on executioners that I'm quite excited to read.

Funndeath
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Just finished The Moon and Sixpence. Great book.
Now reading Sartre's Nausea.

Shangri-LIE
01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
An A.A. handbook. Someone at work thought I needed to read it.

keyboards
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I just reopened the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Anyone toughed it out?

Sputnik
01-06-2010, 12:55 PM
just finished A midsummer night's dream for school
starting Pride and Prejudice.
halfway through Storm of the Century :)

Edit: and... not really a book, but someone just e-mailed "the lottery" to me.

Ich_Bin_Du
01-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Starting "Song of Susannah" today...xD

Funndeath
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Took a break and read Marjane Satrapi's Embroideries in about an hour. It's really great, I find these women's inner circle conversations about love, sex and men very fascinating. And it's funny too. :)

01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I have only just got round to reading the dirt by motley crue. Mick Mars is the greatest guy ever.

[divine_infekt]
01-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm finishing Max Brooks "The Zombie Survival Guide" and I'm also reading George Orwell's "1984" + J. K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone"

Emma
01-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I've been too much reading of news and current affair books so picked me up the Twilight books. Am on New Moon (second week into series, second book already) - don't want to kick Bella's head in as much but given she is on her way to see Edward, I think that feeling may return! Mainly because she is so whinnnnnnny and fatal attraction lovey when she is around him - in fact I just want to kick both their heads in.

BUT don't get me wrong, they aren't a bad read.

Maniac Master
01-13-2010, 12:41 PM
just started reading Stephen Kings "Under The Dome".

Ich_Bin_Du
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
;57439']I'm finishing Max Brooks "The Zombie Survival Guide" and I'm also reading George Orwell's "1984" + J. K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone"

I totally love 1984, the ending is awesome in my opinion. :D

Reading "The dark Tower" right now, finally. As expected I love it so far. Ah, the DT books always make me so very happy. :>

love_lolita
01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm reading The Divine Comedy right now.

Principiante
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm reading The Divine Comedy right now.

C'mon... You can't possible read that... You are kidding with us?

ShelfLife
01-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I don't think a book has ever given me nightmares before, but this once did. I was planning on seeing the movie when it came out, but now there is no way I'm going through all that trauma again.

I'm going to read a few Batman comics before I move onto something else. I've got so many choices for new novels to read, and old favourites to revisit.

Ich_Bin_Du
01-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Just finished "Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk. I watched the movie on Saturday and I loved it, so I ordered the book. I have to read it again, I found his writing style kinda difficult, because of the many jumps between present, future and past and the thoughts of the narrator, which were often digressing.
But I liked that it was (like "A Clockwork Orange") very special and unique. :D
Edit: Read it again. I love it.

KIRA SIL7ER
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
wigfield and under the dome

Alexandra
01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I just recently started Ubik by Philip K. Dick. I'm in the 5th chapter and I'm not sure if I like it...
I mean I do like the issues it brings up and the story in general but it's quite tough. For me at least.
Eh, not only I hardly ever read books but also it's in English...

Has anyone read this one and minds to share thoughts?
Also, I'm hoping to pick up Neuromancer as well, so the question goes for that one, too.

Celiny-O
01-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I've been reading The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell for the millionth time. There's nothing to do around here, and I never get tired of reading that book.

Dysmorphia
01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I am currently reading Terry Pratchett's Colour of Magic. It is quite embarassing, it has taken me 6 months to read- I get distracted so easily.

Celiny-O
01-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I get distracted so easily.
I know how you feel.

ShelfLife
01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I started "The Lovely Bones" this morning. I can't remember the last time I was swallowed so completely by a book. The rape scene at the beginning was one of the most horrible, toe-curling things I've read in a long time though, and considering I've just finished "The Road", that's saying something.

Celiny-O
01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Starting The Catcher In The Rye today. I need to read it before the end of the holidays. Should be pretty easy.

Alexandra
01-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Well, I finished Ubik and you can't imagine how extremely glad I am that I didn't put down the book at first. Later I got completely "overtaken" by it. Brilliant, twisted, inspiring, thought-provoking.
Worked miracles for me, as the ads promised.

I couldn't get used to the reality created by PKD for quite a while. It seemed just too ridiculous. Thankfully, PKD's writing style was so convincing that by the time I was halfway through the book 'cold-pacs' and 'half-life' seemed completely normal to me. And every time I believed that I figured everything out, I kept getting struck that I simply chose to believe lies. Brilliant. It made me realize how much our own reality is ridiculous. We just got used to it.

And what's better than reading Ubik in the middle of a "sleepless" night, listening to Tool, ironically trying to figure out what's the truth and finding a few "semi-references" to Manson's work? Nothing.
I could keep flooding this thread with my amazement but I'll stop myself at this point.
I'll just say that I strongly recommend it. Once Ubik gets you, it won't let go.

And no, this isn't an advertisement… *wink*

Celiny-O
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I've nearly finished Maestro by Peter Goldsworthy. It's a pretty good book.

S.Hal0mega.B
02-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Alien Dawn by Colin Wilson, very well done, research 'n all. The Doors of Perception again - Aldous Huxley.

Aldous Huxley, a biography.

Rotten - John Lydon bio.

Celiny-O
02-01-2010, 01:54 AM
The other day I was reading Bombshells by Joanna Murray-Smith, a book of six monologues about women in various age groups. Most of them were very entertaining. :)

Emma
02-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Just finished Going Rouge: Sarah Palin An American Nightmare.
Just started Race Of A Lifetime (known as Game Change in the US) by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin

Funndeath
02-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I just had a bookgasm.
World book fair in Delhi. Yummy.

Phillip Roth - Goodbye, Columbus
Susan Sontag - The Volcano Lover
Bret Easton Ellis - Less Than Zero
Marquis De Sade - Justine
Kamala Das - My Story
Roddy Doyle - Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
Haruki Murakami - After Dark

I came out with precisely enough change to catch the metro back home.
Oh I am such a bookslut.

S.Hal0mega.B
02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, I finished Ubik and you can't imagine how extremely glad I am that I didn't put down the book at first. Later I got completely "overtaken" by it. Brilliant, twisted, inspiring, thought-provoking.
Worked miracles for me, as the ads promised.

I couldn't get used to the reality created by PKD for quite a while. It seemed just too ridiculous. Thankfully, PKD's writing style was so convincing that by the time I was halfway through the book 'cold-pacs' and 'half-life' seemed completely normal to me. And every time I believed that I figured everything out, I kept getting struck that I simply chose to believe lies. Brilliant. It made me realize how much our own reality is ridiculous. We just got used to it.

And what's better than reading Ubik in the middle of a "sleepless" night, listening to Tool, ironically trying to figure out what's the truth and finding a few "semi-references" to Manson's work? Nothing.
I could keep flooding this thread with my amazement but I'll stop myself at this point.
I'll just say that I strongly recommend it. Once Ubik gets you, it won't let go.

And no, this isn't an advertisement… *wink*

Glad to see another PKD fan, I adore that book as well. It's a shame that so many over look PKD in science fiction, then agan it's a shame so many have bad taste in the world.

cyborg assassin
02-02-2010, 07:55 AM
At the moment, I am reading Eamonn Butler's The Rotten State of Britain and Geoffrey Wheatcroft's Yo, Blair!. Both, in their own way, are about the catastrophe that the British Labour government is. Both are very good, but I would say the latter is more interesting as it particularly concentrates on Tony Blair.

I recently read David Thornton's Leeds: The Story of a City, an affectionate history of the city I have grown up in, and Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance by Ian Buruma, which isn't a bad book. I've also read some of the plays in the Royal Shakespeare Company anthology I have.

Hexon.Arq
02-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I have been slowly crawling through Gibson's Idoru, chapter by chapter in my toilet excursions. I bought it with Valley of the Dolls and arbitrarily decided to put off the latter until I had finished the former.

Funndeath
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Just started reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon which I bought at the Book Fair today. Bookslut strikes again. I just couldn't help myself. :)

R_Flagg
02-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Currently reading Dante's Divine Comedy.

Ripper
02-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I recently finished reading the works of Kafka, which I had mixed opinions on. Since it's my new years resolution to read at least one book a week, I hope to work through classics I haven't got around to yet. Currently I'm reading a H.P Lovecraft Collection and re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse 5'.

Mictlancihuatl
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Currently reading Dante's Divine Comedy.

Ahh. This is by far one of my favorite pieces of literature. I must say Dante Alighieri is a writer I have drawn much inspiration from. His way with words and descriptions is both lyrical and emotional. Just brilliant.

Lord MeowMeow
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
The best books I've read in recent time are:

Robert Baer - The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower

Trita Parsi - Treacherous Alliances: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States

Edward Said - Covering Islam

John R. Schindler - Unholy Terror: Bosnia, Al-Qa'ida, and the Rise of Global Jihad

Mark Juergensmeyer - Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence

All absolutely fascinating, illuminating reads. As for literature, haven't really read much lately. I did, however, finally get around to finishing:

Chuck Palahniuk - Invisible Monsters

^Seriously one of the funniest books I've ever read in my life.

VelvetAIDS
04-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Just finally got around to finishing The Gospel of Filth..... now to finish Lolita.

ThreeEyedGod
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
History Of Wars In The Middle East

Celiny-O
04-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Just finally got around to finishing The Gospel of Filth.....
How was it?

VelvetAIDS
04-06-2010, 11:02 AM
How was it?

I actually liked it. Although it weaved Satanism in and out of the subjects a slight too often, it gave really insightful info on lots of things. (films, music, historical figures, etc). I was surprised it actually mentioned Manson quite a few times in relation to the numerology and occult influences in Antichrist and Holy Wood. It was a really enjoyable read for me.

Celiny-O
04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
^ That's good to hear. I've been wanting to get my hands on a copy for quite a while, but a lack of money has stopped me. I hope to have my own copy within the next few months.

Shangri-LIE
04-08-2010, 04:55 AM
The story of Gagginwithe Cawkinmouf (Audio Book). It's a semi-coherent autobiography of a call girl who gags her way through the narratives sucking cocks, and who has been kidnapped by snuff porn producers. The suspense it amazing.

Thief
04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Good Omens

http://sparksfromthewheel.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/good-omens.jpg

love_lolita
04-28-2010, 08:43 PM
http://danielhaymes.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/n3043.jpg
Oh i love it. =]

KnaveMurdok
04-28-2010, 11:45 PM
http://blog.avalon.ph/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/houseofleaves.jpg
Holy fucking crap, this book is literally, without exaggeration, TERRIFYING!

Ich_Bin_Du
04-29-2010, 04:56 AM
http://danielhaymes.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/n3043.jpg
Oh i love it. =]

I love love love the clockwork orange! :D <3

Emma
04-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Currently reading:
No More Wacos: What's Wrong with Federal Law Enforcement and How to Fix it by David B. Kopel and Paul H. Blackman
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Wacos-Federal-Enforcement/dp/1573921254/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272544684&sr=1-3

And:
Killer Clown: John Wayne: The John Wayne Gacy Murders by Terry Sullivan and Peter Maiken
Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Clown-John-Wayne-Murders/dp/0786014229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272544749&sr=1-1

Norsefire
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I rarely read books because I don't have much time to sit down and get into a book to really enjoy it. Well I guess I could have the time if I make it, which is what I am going to try and do right now I think.

I started reading The Shining maybe well over a year ago or more, the book is awesome from what I read so far, now I got the urge to go and read some more of it right now. :D

love_lolita
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
http://blog.avalon.ph/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/houseofleaves.jpg
Holy fucking crap, this book is literally, without exaggeration, TERRIFYING!

my favorite! best fucking book ever!!!

Dysmorphia
05-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Yesterday I finally finished it!

01-21-2010
I am currently reading Terry Pratchett's Colour of Magic. It is quite embarrassing, it has taken me 6 months to read- I get distracted so easily.

Yes, that is terribly embarrassing, 10 months to read. In my defense, I did read other books in between. :S
I am now reading the Communist Manifesto.

Shangri-LIE
05-06-2010, 04:30 AM
I am seriously reading the "Little Black Book of the Kama Sutra"

Celiny-O
05-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm halfway through The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

YDG
05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Helter Skelter... well, I should be. I borrowed it from a friend in January and didn't even wanna put it down at first, but I suppose I got kinda busy/distracted and it's just been sitting there. I only have like 40 pages left haha I gotta get back to that. 'Tis very unlike me. :|

S.Hal0mega.B
05-07-2010, 07:31 AM
The Threat - David M Jacobs - good - but simply could be paranoid hearsay.

It's funny - I was considering reading a David Ickle Book after seeing him in a doco say some smart stuff - i have to agree with Alex Jones when i read up on this guy - he's lke Dawkins - you think he's going somewhere - then he goes down predictable sam lane. Fucking nut.

1984 - seriouslly i love this book and im waiting for the william hurt film to arrive on DVD. Loved it... cant wait to see it again.

Confirmation - Whitley Strieber - this guy - well i've read his fictional - the Grays - and attempted Communion when i was young but found my way through the film easier (hey cant say no to the Walken) and Breaktrhough to be midly decent ... I'm still undecided on whether he's delusional or for real even after all the radio and video interviews - but his studies on implants and the Mexican incident overlooked by the international media during the eclipse in 1991 is very in depth - i must say it converted me more.

Finished all Budd Hopkin's books, i say this guy goes in and out of insanity, his early 90's and 80s works are far more eye catching. I guess Timothy Good and Steven Greer are my Gods of this 'crusade' these days, even though they wont get anywhere with it.

Iggy Pop's biography. Decent looking into his life. I liked all the Bowie parts.

love_lolita
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
http://liveforfilms.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/brave.jpg

Its pretty good. Makes me think.

YDG
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm gonna re-read Plain Truth soon. It's definitely one of my favorite books ever, I think it's such an interesting story and setting and the ending shocked me to no end. I've also always had a strange fascination with the Amish community as well so that was a plus. I'd definitely recommend it.

Aaah and I just found out it was made into a movie in 2004. Of course I'm always far more fond of books as opposed to the movies made after them, but I still wanna check it out.

ShelfLife
05-08-2010, 02:53 AM
I was almost a quarter of the way through On The Road by Jack Kerouac, but I had to give up. I was enjoying it whilst I was reading it, but it was so hard for me to convince myself to pick up the book. So I've put that aside, and I'm trying The Picnic At Hanging Rock.

S.Hal0mega.B
05-08-2010, 07:05 AM
http://liveforfilms.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/brave.jpg

Its pretty good. Makes me think.

nice choice, an old favourite

Allycat
05-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Winter in kabul

Ludwig
05-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm halfway through The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

I really enjoyed that book, it was very well crafted if not quite as magical as Coraline.

ImNotJesus
05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
The Secret History...

ShelfLife
05-26-2010, 06:38 AM
^^ Someone recommended that one to me a few weeks ago. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Otherwise, just finished "A Lion Among Men", the third installment to the "Wicked" series. I still can't believe that someone who seduced me with his beautiful way of embroidering words together in the first book dumped me so horrifically with this one. The guy had absolutely no idea what to do with the story - "I left everyone on a cliffhanger with the last book, I think I'll write the third about something that has NO RELEVANCE AT ALL to the characters everyone wants to know about."

Fuck you Gregory Maguire. Fuck you.

absinthe bunny
05-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Lucifer Rising - Gavin Baddeley. As all of his books, definitly recommended. I like how he approaches his topics in a different way then all other books. I noticed it most when reading his book on MM, since all other books i read about MM are just reinventions of his auto-biography, but Baddeley's book looks deeper into themes in the MM world without keep walking on the straight MM line.

Allycat
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Stuffed and starved' by raj patel

Ludwig
06-26-2010, 06:31 AM
After playing Bioshock I have been interested in reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, the book which influenced it. However it is HUGE so I'm listening to an audiobook of it instead which is 56 hours...

Funndeath
06-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Bookslut strikes again! I just got my magnanimous brother to buy me these today:
Jean Cocteau - The Miscreant
Andre Breton - Nadja
Leonard Cohen - Beautiful Losers
Tom Robbins - Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.

I'm currently reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

ShelfLife
06-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Wicked, again. Then I'm probably going to go back to my first love, Wuthering Heights.

Celiny-O
06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Life Of Pi by Yann Martel.