PDA

View Full Version : The High End Of Low

S.D.
06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I feel perhaps a consolidated analysis of The High End Of Low might be interesting, the album has been discussed at length in other arenas, but it would be nice to have that opportunity here. There may be a few references that were not mine originally, so if I cannot recall who authored them, I apologise.

Firstly, the record title is evidently a continuation of the binary that exists in all of Manson's work. There have been several references to the 'high' and 'low' in lyrics before this record title.

The Dope Show:-
"There's lots of pretty, pretty ones, who want to get you high
But all the pretty, pretty ones, will leave you low, and blow your mind"

Heart-Shaped Glasses:-
"Little girl, little girl you should close your eyes,
That blue is getting me high, and making me low"

The Golden Age Of Grotesque:-
"We're the low art gloominati"

The combination of the two is interesting, because these prior lyrics suggest that they are still opposing features, whereas The High End Of Low seems to suggest a more symbiotic relationship between the two, which in light of some of the lyrics, and the general tone of the album, seems to be based in Manson's desire to embrace his more sinister side, rather than apologising for it, as has been the case on other records. I had previously mentioned that whether intentional or not, and not to suggest some sort of trilogy, The High End Of Low actually seems to work rather well as a bookend to EAT ME, DRINK ME, with The Golden Age Of Grotesque holding up the other side. The Golden Age Of Grotesque is still a fairly apologetic, though quite emotionally void album, much of its commentary is externalised, with concepts such as "Cocaingels", "Downloadable Suicide" and "Vodevil" taking the stance of Manson as part of a corrupt society, The Better Of Two Evils, as it were. The High End Of Low, on the other hand, internalises his role, and he positions himself as quite the opposite, the cause of ills, rather than a "poster boy" for it. There is a weakness there, the relinquishing of responsibility, as opposed to the recognition of others doing the same.

It's interesting that actual gravity seems to permeate the theme, as Manson utters the line "Remember when I took you up to the top of the hill, we had our knives drawn" [Running To The Edge Of The World]. This reminds me of the line "Drive me off the mountain", during If I Was Your Vampire, suggesting that when you ascend to the highest high, the only thing left is low, or perhaps to get to the top is to be at the high end of low. I'll add some more things in there, old and new, when I have the chance, but I wanted to reinstate the topic and see what people's thoughts are now we've all heard the record. Also, this imagery choice was pointed out at some point, I'm not sure by who:-

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/HighEndComparison.jpg

The second half of the image is from the Criterion DVD cover for the film High And Low (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057565/), by director Akira Kurosawa. It has been cited as an influence on The High End Of Low, especially in correlation with the themes of money (Pretty As A $?) and kidnapping, which was mentioned in interviews by Manson leading up to the album's release. It is of course, a film, and The High End Of Low is described as being constructed to be like a movie. Anyway, these are all fairly obvious sentiments, I just wanted to start things somewhere, and see if anyone has anything to add to the topic. I will write some more later.

Hate Sells
06-27-2009, 10:31 AM
So...I wanted to make a separate thread about the use/imagery of the swastika and the dollar sign, as it pertains to this era, as I think it is less broad of a topic than The High End of Low, but for now I will post this here, instead. I personally have found it to be very interesting, especially as the now-confirmed statement on facism comes into play. Anyway, I'll start my analysis off with something I just noticed recently (as I came across them on eBay); one of the posters from the Rape of the World tour, featuring George Bush, a dollar sign, and two swastikas (from February 10th, 2008, The pageant in St. Louis) in comparison to another ROTW concert poster; this one of Adolf Hitler with a swastika, and what appears to be the "stars" of the stars and stripes (from February 8th, 2008, Myth in St. Paul). I find it very inspiring how Manson seems to have had this idea of imagery in mind since the last tour; probably not since Smells Like Children (as he seems to have been mis-quoted on saying in the recent Spin interview); but certainlly for longer than we had expected.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/hatesells/BVJS-wBmkKGrHgoH-CUEjlLlvzuyBKQ-Syq.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/hatesells/BVJT9NgBmkKGrHgoH-D8EjlLlcYWBKQ-lPi.jpg

(BTW, these are just the pictures from eBay...I searched for a while trying to find better images, but I couldn't find anything, and I don't have the time right now...but if anyone has some high-res pictures or anything, please feel free to post/link them.)

Mexicanfiend
06-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice idea, S.D.

And I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one that saw The Dope Show lyrics connection. I've been thinking about it for some time, myself.

Also, I'd like to point one a Nietzsche connection: What ever doesn't kill you is going to make you stronger, which Manson adapted for the Leave a Scar chorus: What ever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar.

In running to the edge of the world, I remember I also made a connection towards The Last Day On Earth, because for me it seemed like he was somehow denying the previous feeling.

"We're running to the edge of the world, but I don't know if the world will end today"; when compared to "I know it's the last day on earth, we'll never say goodbye"; seems like an antagonist perspective. Today, love is not everlasting neither the world will end when the love fades away.

In I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies, the line "I'm sick of Immortality", makes me think of the Reflecting God line "You'll understand when I'm dead".

And I'm going to link a post I made today about this album as well, to give you a general idea of how I perceive this album as a whole:

I think I finally understood why people were comparing this album to Antichrist Superstar. Let's see:

The High End Of Low also tells a story, which for me is the opposite to Antichrist: is about him trying to become a "normal" person. The album begins from where it Eat Me, Drink ME ends: with Evan going out of Manson's life. He is in deep pain on such song because of someone he apparently loved so much being no more around, and suddenly he remembers who he is, that's why I love the musical explosion after the second chorus. Then tracks 2 to 6 are the usual Manson, talking about the world he views: sex, scars, protests... what is common to talk about when Manson is involved. In fact, Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin-Geddon can be the best critical song towards the world since... Kill King 33.

And then, we shall remember what the man said about it: Is like a movie of his life. So, from tracks 7-9 is like a catharsis: he is taking out all the pain by singing both the most romantic, recriminating and violent songs -lyrically, of course. The core of the album dwells here.

Then, with a strong nostalgic aura, he goes back and talks us about Wight Spiders and Unkillable monsters. Not unlike Toruniquet and the dreams he claims to have on his autobiography.

Then, some sort of interlude: We're from America. When I read that he wrote this song not in a political way, but as a justification -almost an excuse- towards his behavior, I appreciated this song more.

And then: the third act of misery: tracks 13, 14 & 15. The first one is like the final testament to a broken jar that can't be repaired. Into the fire: I admit that at first glance I wasn't impressed with it, unlike many of you. But if you picture it as the equivalent to a movie end, it breaks your heart. I love how he talks about hating her and what-not, while in the chorus I found the strongest phrase from the whole album: "I'm two heartbeats in hell, trying to break your fall". The most romantic Manson EVER. He won't want to talk to her anymore, but in the end he will always be worried about her, and if there's something he can do to save her, he will, no matter how fucked up and damned he is. I feel so identified with it.

And 15, the end credits. He survived, but not without being hurt along the way, something that undoubtely leaves unvaluable lessons. 15 is for me a final manifiesto of the new Manson, the one that was born during Devour: Now he will kill for what he believes in, and won't even hesitate about it.

What doesn't kill you is only gonna make you stronger... but with scars as well, indeed.

The Empirical Guy
06-28-2009, 03:07 AM
I posted this on the 'phant a day or two before it went down, so will repost it here.

Manson has a bit of a thing with "et cetera" lately, quoting it in interviews, and going so far as to replace lines of lyrics with it in other songs live. It occurred to me, could this be a throwback to his old favourite, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? Says Wonka in the film:

Wrong, sir, wrong! Under Section Thirty-Seven B of
the contract signed by him it states quite clearly that all
offers shall become null and void if--and you can read it
for yourself in this photostatic copy: "I, the undersigned,
shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera, . . . fax mentis
incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!Not sure if this has any real significance, other than being interesting that after all these years he can still be linked to that one film from his youth.

S.D.
06-28-2009, 03:25 AM
You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
so you get nothing!

The High End Of Low?

The Hand
06-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Re: Fiend, I think the paraphrasing of Nietzsche reflects the sentiment of the album of a whole, of being a bit knackered & winded by life. Consider that ACSS is an album built on this Nietzschean idea of will to power, whereas this one eschews that kind of sentiment

The Empirical Guy
06-28-2009, 05:14 AM
You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
so you get nothing!

The High End of Low?

Hmm, probably not his intention, I think, but an interesting find anyway.

S.D.
06-28-2009, 05:26 AM
The use of "Et cetera" was something I noted previously, in relation to a tattoo Twiggy has. It was posted on the Goon Moon MySpace at some point, certainly before his reunion with Marilyn Manson:-

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/EtCetera.jpg

"I'm not an artist I'm a fucking work of art"

Anima XI
06-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Norsefire
06-28-2009, 08:08 AM
I find it very inspiring how Manson seems to have had this idea of imagery in mind since the last tour; probably not since Smells Like Children (as he seems to have been mis-quoted on saying in the recent Spin interview); but certainlly for longer than we had expected.

I posted this back on the 'phant as well, I think Print Mafia was behind all the designs of the posters. So I am not sure if Manson had anything to do with these, but the idea still fits in with what Manson was doing with this album.

Hate Sells
06-28-2009, 09:03 AM
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/EtCetera.jpg

"I'm not an artist I'm a fucking work of art"
I remember this, too...was that the title Twiggy posted it under...?

S.D.
06-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I remember this, too...was that the title Twiggy posted it under...?

No, I just thought it worked well.

Here is something that people might be interested in. Compare the descending guitar parts for Wight Spider with the following:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH58xearYzw

The music used for this scene from the film Heat is a reworking of the Joy Division song New Dawn Fades. I'm aware that Marilyn Manson is a fan of the band, and that this version is recorded by Moby. Brian Eno also worked on the soundtrack for this film, which I think is nice, as both Roxy Music and by default, Eno have been influences on Manson's work in the past. This version, though without words, musically bears a lot of resemblance to Wight Spider I feel, and I think Manson would be aware of both the film and the piece of music. There is even a drum beat that is very much the same in both songs, if you listen at around 1:55 (yes, I know, it's a coincidence!) into the clip, you'll hear the same speed drum part that introduces Wight Spider.

Anyway, although not included, these are the original lyrics to the Joy Division version:-

"A change of speed, a change of style.
A change of scene, with no regrets,
A chance to watch, admire the distance,
Still occupied, though you forget.
Different colours, different shades,
Over each mistakes were made.
I took the blame.
Directionless so plain to see,
A loaded gun won't set you free.
So you say.

We'll share a drink and step outside,
An angry voice and one who cried,
we'll give you everything and more,
The strains too much, can't take much more.
Oh, I've walked on water, run through fire,
Can't seem to feel it anymore.
It was me, waiting for me,
Hoping for something more,
Me, seeing me this time, hoping for something else."

These could quite easily be lyrics from The High End Of Low, most obviously with a line referring to running (to the edge of the world?) "through fire". Not only that, but the film, of course, is called Heat... I'd be interested to read any thoughts on this, and if the song has the same resemblance for anyone else.

Also, I've been thinking about some of the samples and noises that feature on the record, I can't put a finger on all of them. What is the sound at the start of We're From America, that features at the official website on loop? It seems to me to be like a death knell of some kind, monotonous and grim. There is also the sound at the end of Pretty As A Swastika that resembles a periscope for submarines.

The Empirical Guy
06-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Shit, I never even knew Twiggy had an "et cetera" tattoo as well.

Maniac Master
06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
compare 'I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell (Alternative Version)' with 'I Put A Spell On You' and i bet you'll notice something. ;)
the part i mean beginns at 00:17.

IPASOY just came to my mind when i listened to the alternative version the first time. the similarity is unbelievable.

HerrDoKtor
06-30-2009, 03:20 AM
This is not that relevant, oh well.

You all must know of Rocky Horror Picture Show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/). These lips (http://kingdomofstyle.typepad.co.uk/my_weblog/images/2007/08/31/ringlogo_rhps.jpg) certainly are familiar for the ones who attended the first legs of Rape of the World tour.

Anyway, there's a musical segue, when Rocky wakes up / is born, named The Sword of Damocles in which he sings

My high is low
I'm dressed up with no place to go
And all I know is I'm at the start
of a pretty big downer
The song's here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG3Eh6gq1_g) if you're interested, sorry I couldn't find a clip from the movie itself.

S.D.
06-30-2009, 03:39 AM
compare 'I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell (Alternative Version)' with 'I Put A Spell On You' and i bet you'll notice something. ;)
the part i mean beginns at 00:17.

That is really close, thank you for the observation. I've only just tried out some of these alternate versions. The intention seems literally to have 'High' and 'Low' identities to the album.

A musical segue, when Rocky wakes up / is born, named The Sword of Damocles in which he sings

My high is low

I did some brief reading, as I wasn't that familiar with this Greek myth, and the story of Damocles does have the named sword hanging above his head, as the song's lyrics state. Interestingly, he swaps places with the king to enjoy being treated like royalty, and looks above and notices the sword. It could be said he had "to look up just to see hell". Read more if you like:-

http://www.inspirationalstories.com/0/2.html

The Rocky Horror song can be watched here:-

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/3843738/Roc ... f_Damocles (http://www.myvideo.de/watch/3843738/Rocky_Horror_Sword_of_Damocles)

Fantastic notes everyone, thank you.

Maniac Master
06-30-2009, 08:53 AM
no problem, just thought i should mention. :)

S.D.
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
There is some interesting material in those articles for certain, though I do find it a little odd that all of the content is credited to NK, because there is a rather large portion of the material there that was originally discovered and featured in a selection of threads originally penned at MansonUSA. That isn't meant to sound like a barbed comment, because it isn't, I'm just concerned that a lot of the time and effort put in by various parties in the months leading up to the release of The High End Of Low might be being overlooked to some degree. Extensive reading, nonetheless.

Here's an interesting idea, consider the front cover of The High End of Low, and the "halo" that Manson has around his head. To some degree, the halo also looks like a collection of veins ("soaked and stained red" / "you're not crying this is blood all over me"), which are leading to the brain, or perhaps, the "wounded head". In this sense, the "hole is where the heart is". This is especially true if one considers the relationship between Kennedy and Christ, in that Kennedy's halo was a bullet.

That is one of the things I see looking at the album cover, veins, which makes some sense to me, I'm interested if anyone else shares these thoughts?

[god]speed
07-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Kurosawa's HIGH AND LOW or Heaven And Hell has been a notable influence, It is the source of inspiration for the Font Used On The Album Cover... However The Intricate Details That Manson has Drawn Upon In the actual construction of the album itself is rather remarkable...

I think everyone that spent the Extra Money to Purchase the Deluxe Edition and had the chance to compare it to the standard version can attest to the absolute lack of quality in the printing of the book in the deluxe version and I recall reports of terrible sound quality from some when playing the record at heavy listening volume, In my opinion, This Tactic Was Used By Manson to Prove a Point A higher Price Does not Guarantee Higher Quality, And that certain products, carry a higher value because of a Brand Name, Dolce and Gabbana, Louis Vuitton, Et Al... Marilyn Man$on Has literally become a Brand Name that the Record Industry Capitalizes Upon, They Know that it is automatically going to sell a set number amount as soon as the record hits the shelf, Because he has attained a certain status where all that he touches turns to Gold, from the Midas Touch of his 'Celebrity Status' And They don't give a fuck about the Philosophy or theories he presents, But One has to Fund a Revolution somehow, right? Manson Quite Literally created a defective version of the album, With a dull worn out booklet and 6 bonus tracks that seemingly use an open mic technique to capture all the sounds of the songs, And stamped Deluxe Edition on it, To Showcase exactly what I have stated above. LOWER QUALITY FOR A HIGHER PRICE- The Exact Fascist Motto That Conglomerati Corporations Thrive Upon. The Opening scene of Kurosawa's High and Low that showcases the exact same situation

The scene takes place in the Main Character, Gondo's Home that Is Perched High Upon the Hill, For Our Sake... Let's Call it "Holywood" Overlooking the impoverished City below,
Let's Consider this for the triptych's sake "Death Valley. Now Gondo, Or Our Omega is quite a noble man, unswayed by corporate greed, he is one of the top men of a reputable Women's Shoe Company. They Have established a name for themselves on the Market as one of the top designer brands of the time, His colleagues have devised a rather 'ingenius' albeit dishonorable deed by creating a cheaply fashioned line of shoes that are to be sold at a higher price, sacrificing quality which ensures that the consumer will have to buy a new pair more sooner than later, Gondo is absolutely appalled by this... The heel shreds like paper as He takes one of the shoes and begins tearing it apart with his bare hands, to showcase his apparent disgust in the idea of selling a terrible product to his loyal consumers and decides that he wishes to use the money he has put back to purchase more shares in the company, in order to ensure that his legacy lives on as a reputable brand with high standards, and then the rest of the plot begins to unfold...
With Takeguchi the kidnapper as ADAM, In the Shadow of the Valley of Death looking up wishing to one day become "Something Beautiful And Something Free" as -<me>- put it "Takeguchi quite literally Looks upfrom the valley every day Just to see Hell"
What One Man's Heaven, is another Man's Hell thus as the title of High and Low is commonly known as Heaven and Hell.

Manson has quite literally showcased the concepts he spoke of in Mechanical Animals in THEOL.... The common knowledge of the revolution of the Triptych, Being marketed and sold as just another by-product of insatiable means of Celebritarian Needs... It is pressed, packaged, and Sealed. To be delivered to the hands of the masses only to be swallowed and spit out again. Manson Says it best regarding Pretty as A Swastika Being Changed to Pretty as a $... The Revolution (which the Nazi symbol literally is...) is packaged as a $... The Revolution has become everything it stands against and thus it must Destroy itself, "Take You Down, Down From The Inside" But Don't let the concept of destroying what you've become to escape what you hated being as a negative aspect.
You become the contradiction in order to destroy it, We've Known that for what 10-12 years? It paves the path for a new version of the self to take hold.

I Urge Everyone To See the Big Picture for What it Is... Think of the Actual meaning of the Phrase ASTONISHING PANORAMA OF THE END TIMES, It is an amazing Large scale frame that is more grandeur than ever imagined previously, Why Do You Think Manson Has Implimented the Use Of Behind the Scenes Equipment in his Show? He is attempting to show exactly what we already known through lyrics like "the screen is us and we're tv" We are the Nobodies, The Cast Aways, We are the Infants that the world attempted to destroy, though we have Survived abortion ushering in a New Age of Enlightenment The New Aeon of Horus.

WE are LITERALLY, Every single one of You Are ALL STARS NOW, In The DOPEST SHOW ever Conceived.....

The recess bell does not toll for anyone we have dismantled it, Sleep now you were not the spectators you were part of the SPECTACLE

(the show, and spectacles in the sense of FRAMES, Both Film Frames and Frames of HEART SHAPED GLASSES) It is Time To AWAKEN to See the Brilliance of this, The Revolution is Not DEAD, We are Experiencing it now.... Don't Believe Me? Think of the Common Idealisms that Manson fans that understand general concepts of Manson's work commonly speak of in casual conversation. Not Limited to Dualistic Properties in all things, The Cyclical Nature of Events, The Fascination of Death through the Media's Eyes, A Seemingly Unattainable Being Known as Coma White, Adam Kadmon the First Man, JFK as the second christ, Martyrdom, "Etc....ETC..."

Do Not Let These Fruits Fall From Your Hands They are precious, but Most of all...
THEY ARE RIPE.

All the concepts of an awakening/ spiritual revolution that Manson Has talked about for so long Is True and now is literally the End times (Which we Know marks a New Beginning)

Here's the Biggest Misconception and I urge everyone to get this out of their minds,
The Gun was Never Loaded in Count to Six and Die.... Holywood Doesn't End in a Demise.

After All

We Don't Seek Death We Seek Destruction

Emma
07-15-2009, 04:51 AM
It's interesting concerning the booklet and quality on the deluxe version - to be honest mine remains under wrap and key.

However, as much as I understand the battle against the corporate man, the corporation, does it matter to him that the everyday fan may feel cheated and may not feel all that has been given is of the upmost standard?

I mean this as no derision because I agree, Manson has used as a cashcow and is rebelling - especially given the battles he has had with the record companies of late over his creative stranglehold they have bestowed upon him, but not everyone is going to know his motives, motivations, tactics and tacticians.

As for Count to Six and Die, I always felt it apparant that it was an empty gun, one empty chamber after another - you can't kill it especially a charge against those those who sort to at the time - look at the media - fickle monkeys that they are - they change their tune against Ozzy, changed their tune against Manson, changed their tune against MJ - a posthumous entry into celebritarian if ever there was.

I always felt the echo of the empty chamber was Manson saying - your words are without firepower, your rants without ammunition.

S.D.
07-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Well, now that was a grand first post, and welcome to Provider Module. As it correlates with some thoughts I had on the number 15 this week, I entirely agree with the linear ideas you have written here, and how it culminates (though doesn't dissipate) with The High End of Low. One thing that struck me in the lyrics, which you may have picked up on, is how the album starts with a passive allowance at first, and an aggressive disallowance last. During Devour, Manson croons:-

"And I'll love you, if you let me"

...which is then countered by Manson growling:-

"Not letting you win, won't satisfy me, I'll teach you about loss"

...during 15. The duality of love and loss are common, but seem more prolific when placed in this dichotomy of whether it is allowed to happen or it is restricted by one party. This reminds me of lyrics from The Dope Show; "They love you, when you're on all the covers, when you're not, they love another".

What I think (and this ties in directly with your thoughts [god]speed, is that the final line of 15 is meant to imply the listener directly, in that Manson is teaching us that we will all be loved and lost, it is not just the construct of "movies". Effectively, this is what The High End Of Low achieves, the ability to show us that it isn't about us and Marilyn Manson, or Marilyn Manson against us, the very notion of what Marilyn Manson represents means ---"I Am You" --- "I am your shit, you should be ashamed of what you have eaten" --- EAT ME, DRINK ME...

The use of stage props that are taken from film sets is deliberate, I agree, and much like the work of Powell and Hitchcock (you might enjoy my "Visual Parallels" with Psycho in this section), Manson seeks to make us aware that we are always on screen to someone else, that we are always scrutinised for the things we do in life, it's just that some people do it behind the camera, others in front. To some degree we are all film directors holding a clapper board, we all desire to see someone through a selective lense, through the "Eden Eye", if you will, and this is what the new record has made clearer. I'm reminded of the glove-concealed stripshow from the mOBSCENE video, given that it is about authorial power over what entices or seduces. The role of the director is the voyeur, and behind cameras (the eye, the hole where the heart is), we are our "own wicked Gods".

Fantastic thoughts, I'm glad to be able to respond to them here.

I always felt the echo of the empty chamber was Manson saying - your words are without firepower, your rants without ammunition.

Also, Emma, I liked your take on this, and I'm interested, were you in mind of this line at all:-

"I'm more like a silver bullet, than I'm like a gun."

First time I read this, being aware of the subsequent lyric of "Rapist Werewolves", I put the two together, that Manson is not the weapon, but the thing people try and fire out of it.

Emma
07-15-2009, 05:55 AM

Also, Emma, I liked your take on this, and I'm interested, were you in mind of this line at all:-

First time I read this, being aware of the subsequent lyric of "Rapist Werewolves", I put the two together, that Manson is not the weapon, but the thing people try and fire out of it.

I had not been specifically thinking about any lyrics, mainly Manson's way with words during interviews, and also things like the Rolling Stones Who's Fault Is It?essay - but yes it corrolates - Manson has the ammunition, he has demonstrated this over the years with his constant, even if at times his message has worn him physically. All the protestors come and go and the words used to have a go at him are merry-go-round, nothing new, and as pointless as an empty gun on a suicide - which to me, Holywood was always the "I'm back, can't get me down" two finger salute.

I also agree, that others use him as their weapon - and in your analogy I offer another - much like an army is just the pawn of their government, they may be the rifle bearers but they do not fire - and this is how some have used Manson - though I wonder if he has not willfully, but slyly and knowingly participated, mainly because he knows more than they, what the reasons and real useage is.

The Empirical Guy
07-18-2009, 06:52 AM
There is some interesting material in those articles for certain, though I do find it a little odd that all of the content is credited to NK, because there is a rather large portion of the material there that was originally discovered and featured in a selection of threads originally penned at MansonUSA.

That isn't meant to sound like a barbed comment, because it isn't, I'm just concerned that a lot of the time and effort put in by various parties in the months leading up to the release of The High End of Low might be being overlooked to some degree.

Extensive reading, nonetheless.

I noticed that too. I was reading parts thinking "Hmmm..." Oh well. Suss as it may be, in depth discussion on Manson is always good :)

I like your take on this. Interesting.

I have a few things I'd like to say but haven't quite managed to get them into coherent words yet. Hopefully will have them up soon if no one beats me to it.

-<me>-
07-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Post, discuss, dissect imagery related to THEOL.

The High End Of Low booklet (Australian deluxe edition)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/th_IMG_0001-1.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0001-1.jpg)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/th_IMG_0002-1.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0002-1.jpg)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/th_IMG_0005-1.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0005-1.jpg)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/th_IMG_0007-1.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0007-1.jpg)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/th_IMG_0003-1.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0003-1.jpg)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/th_IMG_0004-1.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0004-1.jpg)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/th_IMG_0006-1.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/Jemineye_2007/stuff/?action=view&current=IMG_0006-1.jpg)

-<me>-
08-08-2009, 11:49 PM
The Seventh Seal

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/picatya/theseventhseal.jpg

I'm not sure how much of this is lost in translation....

"He sneers at death, laughs at god, mocks himself and winks at the pretty girls. His world is his own world implausable to all except himself, a joke to everyone including himself. Worthless to heaven and absolutely irrelevant (useless) to hell".

sugarbaby
08-09-2009, 08:16 AM
If you don't know what forever feels like,I'll show you what it feels like without it-15 lyrics
You never said forever would ever hurt like this-Long Hard Road Out Of Hell lyrics
You Never Said "I'll End Up Like This"-Unkillable Monster

Going over lyrics by Marilyn Manson,you'll find reoccuring themes ,same symbols,metaphors,and same same refrains.
Of all things,it makes me wonder who he's been singing to all along.
Maybe his Mother,a girl that reminds him of his Mother?
The High End Of Low is just added speculation and going through his whole body of work,he really never changed in his lyrics during Eat Me,Drink Me and now, as some might say that he's gone more "emo".Eat Me Drink Me wasn't much of a turning point,especially considering that leading up to that album he was hinting at the Celebritarian album,now THAT seems it would have been more of a departure but even that can be looked upon as an elaboration on the Holywood theme.

S.D.
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure if we're acquainted sugarbaby, but I've enjoyed your submissions and thoughts here, they're top.

[i]"He sneers at death, laughs at god, mocks himself and winks at the pretty girls. His world is his own world implausable to all except himself, a joke to everyone including him

Presumably the pretty girls are comparable to swastikas...

This description sounds a lot like the Antichrist Superstar, does it not? The notion of controlling one's own "world" and being aware only of one's own existence, especially in relation to Crowley and Nietzsche.

sugarbaby
08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Thank You S.D.You have some really great stuff in this thread,especially that movie clip with the Joy Division song.
I too hear sounds in this album that sound so familiar but I can't put my finger on them.I hear sounds that sound like they are from past albums too,such as Mechanical Animals and Antichrist Superstar.
Also,as I am not a musician,I don't know if some of the sounds are just stock "filler"keyboard sounds or actual sounds taken from movies and such or live Manson sounds.
The sound in the beginning of We're From America makes me think of something violent,like destruction at war or a natural disaster.
It's all very intriguing.

sugarbaby
08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I've been sitting on this thought since I have heard the song "I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell" but since noone has brought it up anywhere I thought I'd bring it up.The song sounds like it's straight out of the book The Island of Dr.Moreau by H.G Wells,the sinister subject matter of the lyrics,the harrowing scream at the beginning of the song and even the crazed deranged circus/carnival feeling music at the beginning.
This song makes me feel like Manson is describing a satanic ritual and even the words "human wreakage"fit accordingly.
Research this book or even the movie and let me know what you think.

The High End Of Low
The Island Moreau-sing it,it's similar
http://www.gradesaver.com/the-island-of ... t-summary/ (http://www.gradesaver.com/the-island-of-dr-moreau/study-guide/short-summary/)

S.D.
08-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Research this book or even the movie and let me know what you think.

http://www.gradesaver.com/the-island-of ... t-summary/ (http://www.gradesaver.com/the-island-of-dr-moreau/study-guide/short-summary/)

"A strange mix of science fiction, romance, and philosophical meandering"

That quote actually seems to me to be a rather precise description of some of the themes of the song, and indeed, other areas of the album. It would be nice to see if there are more tangible links between the two, I will have to take your advice and do some research, thank you for this post, as ever, your contributions have been excellent.

Also, referring to your comment about the similarity in how the lyrics sound, the first time I heard the song I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell, I thought that it seemed as though Manson was going to some trouble to make it sound as if he were saying "The I end of low" in the lyrics, which seems to be reflected in the title, given that he (I) has to look up high to see what is below...

The original topic for this album saw someone quote the Hermetic phrase "As above, so below", which seems to be present even further in the assertion that Manson is "Forbidden in Heaven and useless in Hell". That would imply that Manson is forced to stay on Earth, to be mortal and die --- "I'm sick of immortality", rather than being in either Heaven or Hell:-

"You can take me,
The grave can take me
The earth is waiting to eat us alive"

Norsefire
08-16-2009, 07:14 AM
When I listen to the High End of Low one of the things that gets pulled up in my mind is during EAT ME, DRINK ME Manson was mentioning "Buyer Beware", I think the last time I heard him say it was in that MTV interview when he played at that fans house. When he commented on people being suprised he does bad things.

"When I'm being myself, they are all freaked out "Wow hes bad, he does bad things". I don't have to list my characteristics.

Why did you ask me in the first place? Why did you marry me? Why did you ask me? Buyer Beware. It should be a lable, I'm going to get a tatoo that says "Buyer Beware"."

So when I was listening to The High End of Low, I am hearing lyrics like..

"It's not like I made myself a list
of new and different ways to muder your heart
i'm just a painting thats still wet
and if you touch me i'l be smeared,
You'll be stained... stained for the
rest of your life"
- Leave a Scar

"I'm well aware i'm a danger to myself
are you aware i'm a danger to others?"
- Leave a Scar

"i'm worse than what you think you'd catch from me"
- WOW

"did you stop and take a look at who you fell in love with?
at who you fell in love with?"
- WOW

There are probably other lyrics in there, but those are the ones that come to mind when I think back to Buyer Beware. The more I listened to the album, the more I kept thinking of this whole Buyer Beware attitude Manson had before.
Marilyn Manson is who he is, he isn't some act or something different so people shouldn't expect him to be what he isn't.

-<me>-
09-11-2009, 06:25 AM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/picatya/TheClock.jpg

"The clock has stopped..."

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/picatya/MMcomEmdm.jpg

Hurry Time Is?

S.D.
09-11-2009, 06:46 AM

Hurry Time Is?

"Faster, faster, faster, faster, faster I'm late I'm late.
The hands on my clock, are starting to shake"?

That comes to mind, also the clock face showing 6:19 in EAT ME, DRINK ME. Someone did also mention that the quote on Twiggy's guitar could be related to Oasis breaking up, as they had a best of called Stop The Clocks, and Twiggy is a fan. Also, the clock behind Manson in The High End Of Low booklet reads 1:25:10, I believe, but the "hands" are resting on the numbers 1 and 5...

sugarbaby
09-12-2009, 02:08 PM
and with this being about the word STOP,with this video coming out and seeing a girl who resembles Evan..
In "Devour",Manson sings"and I'll love you,if you let me and you won't make me stop"and at the end of the song,you can guess that she has made him stop.
So,the clock has stopped.
The clock was shown to us during Eat Me,Drink Me an album that Manson made sincerely for Evan.
and in the latest incarnation of the Marilyn Manson Official website,when you first enter the page and it begins to "load",it looks like a gun is shot and blood splatters and that goes with the lyrics in Devour-"this is loaded and if I open them ,I'll see you and I'll blow your heart to pieces".

The Empirical Guy
09-13-2009, 04:34 AM
Nice link together there, sugarbaby.

Thelema
09-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Hurry Time Is?

"Faster, faster, faster, faster, faster I'm late I'm late. The hands on my clock, are starting to shake"?

I'm not entirely sure of it, but wasn't there also the sound of a ticking clock on Manson's website sometime during the celebritarian era (or was it EMDM)? Does anyone remember exactly which webpage that was affiliated with?

Sounds like he might have a mad watch on his hands or mad hands on his watch? Either/or. ;)

S.D.
09-16-2009, 08:16 AM
This jumped out at me while discussing Tarot with [god]speed this week:-

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/PageWands.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/Ram.jpg

Both figures ride the ram, with a light held shining above their head...

"The Page of Wands invites the seeker to follow his/her heart. For the moment, remove the mental, emotional, and any other oppressive "baggage" of your adult self to discern your true desires from a free and child-like perspective:
What do you really feel and want to do ? This is a positive, purposeful card. It encourages the seeker to consider new and original ways of approaching his/her situation."

http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/Tarot/Wands/Page_Wands.php

spaceSuicide
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
This isn't anything major but I will note it.

This character and concept in THEOL is reaching a point of no return and a rebirth, a rekindling of innocence if you will. If you take an iconic image from one of Tim Burton's most fantastic characters and compare it alongside a promo photo for THEOL you will find a semi-interesting resemblance to be had. Not to mention a sort of distant liking and mutual feeling between Manson and Burton, as well as depp. In Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Manson was a potential cast to play Willy Wonka (real or not who knows). Johnny Depp filled the role. We all know Manson and Wonka, but anyways....

The character I am referring to is Edward Scissorhands, you guessed it. In the film, Edward is seen as an innocent childlike being with whimsical happenings and a forbidden romance.

THEOL seems to allude to a forbidden romance between Manson and a woman/women/Evan.

More connections:

Edward is movie character (I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies)

Scissorhands in a relation to cutting ("cut cut cut cut cut" from I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies).

Edward cuts himself many times in the film when moving his hands on accident (Leave A Scar).

I'm reaching and scraping the barrel for this comparison I know. Here's a last piece of exhibits to be had. Note the similar stance style with projected appendages (Edwards blades and Manson's lights.) as well as a similar hue of blue. No the same angles aren't presented but its similar none the less.:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2268/90616797.jpg

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/Edward-Scissorhands-fb.jpg

Done!

[god]speed
09-17-2009, 04:45 AM
I posted that as Azoth on the Phant, No harm done though. I thought it was a pretty easy find to anyone who is familiar with Burton's work, So I imagine that you noticed this on your own, Thanks for posting Sixx.

The Empirical Guy
09-17-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't think that's really too much of a stretch at all, as least as far as the picture goes. Not so sure on things thematically, I'll have to think about that one some more and it's been a while since I saw the film. But the picture definitely fits.

spaceSuicide
09-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I posted that as Azoth on the Phant, No harm done though. I thought it was a pretty easy find to anyone who is familiar with Burton's work, So I imagine that you noticed this on your own, Thanks for posting Sixx.

Great minds think alike then. I'ma big Burton fan and when I seen this photo this was the first thing I ever noticed to it really.

S.D.
10-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Nice work Norsefire, I like that once again, what people assume is some throwaway comment becomes (or always was) the basis for a piece of music or artwork. In fact, on that note, something else came to mind recently regarding something he said in an interview in 1998:"I think Marilyn Manson has become the zeitgeist for America. It's become an adjective for when something is shocking or perverted. They say that's very Marilyn Manson."

This almost exactly mirrors Manson's perspective in WOW, that when he wants to describe how someone has betrayed him, or misunderstood his position, he has to say "WOW", when other people might say that something is "very Marilyn Manson".

"There's a word that's like you because it can be a noun, a verb, an exclamation or the thing I say"

I would also relate that to the concept of naming things, which is a theme of Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon: "If it hasn't learned your name..."; and This Is The New Shit: "When it's all the same you can ask for it by name".

Besides those already identified by various persons, here are some phrases in various Manson lyrics that seem to mirror the term "The High End Of Low". That isn't to suggest that they are referential to that record, but rather that they are more indicative of the duality of something positive and negative in one place at the same, or where heights are involved:-

mOBSCENE - "We have high places, but we have no friends"
Coma White - "She's standing on an overpass, in her miracle mile" (suicide?)
Better Of Two Evils - "I'll step on you on my way up, I'll fucking step on you on my way down"
Minute Of Decay - "I'm on my way down now, I'd like to take you with me"
Kaboom Kaboom - "We wear lawsuits when we get high, high, high" /
"Call it fake I call it "good as it gets"".
You And Me And The Devil Makes 3 - "I'm just like a rolling stone up the hill in Hades" (I have to look up...?)

If anyone else has others, I'd like to read them.

The Empirical Guy
10-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Coma White - "She's standing on an overpass, in her miracle mile" (suicide?)I've always read it more like being led to her death. Isn't the walk from a prisoner's cell to the execution room sometimes referred to as the Miracle Mile?

S.D.
10-05-2009, 12:44 AM
p r e t t y
- - -
s w a s t i k a

AlcoholicArtist
10-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Another brilliant find as usual S.D., you should be a detective or something :P

S.D.
10-05-2009, 03:24 AM
The further you look, the more you discover. I am glad you have been enjoying some of the submissions here of late, it's always nice to see people igniting interest in subjects surrounding Manson and Celebritarianism.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/HauntedNeck.jpg

"I used to hold your haunted neck"

In this image, if Manson were her vampire, the holes (in happiness) would be on the haunted neck, where the heart is. Should he have drunk from the jugular vein, I'm sure the victim would have died, she wouldn't be crying, there would just be blood all over him. Also, concerning Devour, no one seems to have made the connection between these two lyrics:-

"I want your pain, to taste why you're ashamed"
"My pain is not ashamed to repeat itself"

[god]speed
10-09-2009, 02:41 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/3994528491_1a675d1699_o.jpg

I use to hold your "heart to neck" I know I'll miss you if I close my eyes
Now My Sweet Knife Rusts Tomorrow....
If We Cry, We will rust...
You're not Crying this is blood all over me.

One Of Us Is A Knife, And One of Us Is Ripe... Let Me Show You where it hurts

Holes In My Everything, Stabbed through the center of the spiraled heart, Draining the blood turning the heartless upside down to drain.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3418/3994544143_73dc32b907_o.jpg

S.D.
10-09-2009, 05:01 AM
I wonder if there is any validity in linking these phrases:-

"If we cry, we will rust"
"Now my sweet knife, rusts tomorrow"
"You're not crying this is blood all over me"

Unrelated perhaps, but I had thought about the possible stretch of relating a Mechanical Animals lyric to one from The Golden Age of Grotesque, but realised there are more than just those two relating one to the other. On both albums Manson refers to himself as a grenade:-

"I was a hand-grenade that, never stopped exploding"
"I'm not a puppet, I am a grenade"

Apologies, my thoughts at the moment are so scatter-brained. Also, [god]speed, was the spiral heart/spade image you posted a self-created one, or was it part of an official graphic at any stage? I think it's terrific, and was always enamoured with the spade being a drained heart as a symbol for the song title, but if there was an aesthetic link also, to EAT ME, DRINK ME, I would be happier still.

[god]speed
10-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I think that the parallels that you made above are pretty likely, There are key words that he seems to reuse and reinvent throughout his albums.

I created that spade spiral, It would have made a great logo and Im quite flattered that you questioned whether it was "official" or not.

Also... I wish they would have made a male version of the heart spiral or better yet a spade like that :)

S.D.
10-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Sorry, I've just realised how using the word validity looked as though I was dismissing the lyrics you quoted, which is not the case. I agree with the tangent, I just worded my sentence badly.

[god]speed
10-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Sorry, I've just realised how using the word validity looked as though I was dismissing the lyrics you quoted, which is not the case. I agree with the tangent, I just worded my sentence badly.

I read it as you intended. I meant to put in there I used to hold your "heart to neck"

Which I realize isn't the official lyrics however, I believe manson purposely pronounciates certain lyrics to have double meanings. esp Devour "If you won't make me starve/stop"

S.D.
10-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Although I am not into the concept of mishearing lyrics deliberately, I will say that I was sure the word "starve" was used until I read the lyrics. Also, there is the rather more widely accepted "America can 'Nazi' anything", which when I was a teenager, and first heard Antichrist Superstar, I was certain was followed by "History was written by women".

[god]speed
10-10-2009, 06:01 AM
And there's Holes, Holes, Holes In My Everything...

So...I paint scabs. Cover wounds, encased in scars. Paintings are seldom guilty and often framed for crimes they did not commit. Imprisoned in jails that are owned by the Bourgeois who treat them like criminals...Kunsts! Talking about them and not to them.

Some cover holes in walls, holes in lives. Some make holes in wallets, in hearts...in negative space.

I truly think the entire album and perhaps the entire triptych is centerized upon the fall of adam through
eve. If you consider that until the fall Adam and Eve were a perfectly androgyneus being that was
immortally suspended in perfect obliviousness/ primordial chaos until Lucifer, the light bearer seduces eve in the garden as the worm/serpent gets his wings and thus dreams to be an
'Exterminating Angel, Traveling Executioner From Heaven... Sent To Give You The Prettiest Death I Know call the grave and make our reservations"

The High End Of Low is literally a rising of the Fallen.
Adam to Eve to himself.. "Love You Damaged, Need Human Wreckage"
One creates their own hell trying to aspire to obtain that idealistic view of perfection,
whether it's coma or heaven, One creates their own Hell.
In the film High and Low Takeuchi, the kidnapper sees Gondo's House perched High upon the Hill,
much like Adam down in Death Valley would look up into the hills of Holywood and See Omega's Mansion. Even The Film's Surroundings resemble what Manson describes Death Valley and Holywood as. And Thus
By dreaming of living the life of the hollowed out star, one creates there own hell by setting themselves up to trying to sell the self as a product worthy of "top shelf sales" Thus Adam and Takeuchi are Literally Looking Up Just To See Hell, which reminds me of the lyrics
When You Get To Heaven...You Will Wish You're In Hell...

Then I got My Wings... And I Never Even Knew It.
Adam ascends the Tree of Life Upwards Like a Phoenix from the ashes and thus reaches the high end of low,

I Can't Feel Your Thorns In My Hands
And Hell Was So Cold, All The Vases Are So Broken, And The Roses Tear Our Hands All Open
Red Roses Fall To the Floor...and the world....stood still

You're a Flower that's Withering....
They Slit Our Throats Just Like We Were Flowers And Our Milk Has Been DEVOURED.
All My Lillies Mouths Are Open Like They're Beggin' For Dope And Hoping The Bitter Petal Chant
All Of Your Sad Endings, Are Planted In Their Gardens
And Are Waiting Here For You To Die Like Flowers Do.

Pretty as a ($)
The Only thing Immortal in this world Is Money

I'm Just a Painting That's still wet,
and If you touch me i'll be smeared and you'll be stained
i'm a canvas that bleeds and i'm painted with fingers childish pictures of me that still linger

There's a Crack In My Soul, You Thought It Was a Smile
my smile is a chainlink fence i dare not frown for fear of what comes out
I'm a kickstand in your mouth

Everyone Will Come To Funeral to make Sure That I stay Dead
I'm VCR Funeral of Dead Memory Waste

What Children Love A Singing Wheel?
Impossible Wheel Seducing Our Corpse

Death To The Ladies First, Then The Gentlemen
Ladies And Gentlemen, We Are the things of shapes to Come
I've got the jigger to make all you bigger Ladies un-gentlemen

Remember When I took You Up To the Top Of The Hill?
From The Top of Hollywood, It Seemed Like Space

We Had Our Knives Drawn They Were As Sharp As We were In Love
Press the Knife Against Your Heart, Say that "I Love You...
So Much You Must Kill Me Now"

I Don't Know If The World Will End Today...
I know It's The Last Day On Earth, We'll Never Say Goodbye.

I See A New Beginning Rise Behind the Sun
Soon as The Moon, [..] We'd Have Each other Til The Sun
When I See You in The Sun Your as Pretty As A Swastika
To A Perfect Place, In The Sun.. In The Dirt
I want to Wake Up In Your White, White Sun.

And There's Holes, Holes, Holes, In My Everything
Putting Holes in Happiness

Chapter 10 of Holywood
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/hidden/10.html

Forbidden In Heaven and USELESS IN HELL...USELESS IN HELL

[Mrs. White] She stops the sound coming from her mouth abruptly with this realization. She opens her chapped, red lips into the shape of an 'o' and sticks the barrel in her mouth.

"You'll be worthless in hell too."

Line Up Roll Camera, You Pretend, I'll Pretend, You were Only Acting Baby, Overreacting Baby...

Outside her window, klieg lights and a red carpet draw crowds of celebrating birthday mongers and the long legs of paparazzi, climing over one another for a shot of drama. FLASH!
Something shifts now like a cheap film flashback. The sound is reduced to the dubbed down rattle of a projector's plastic speaker. The voices sneak out through tiny holes from the past and Coma is just a little girl crying into the camera's P.O.V. It is the President's Bell and Howard Zoomatic, and although a fine photographic instrument it provides a somewhat grainy resolution. Her tiny, nine-year-old body is drowning in a white gown and an oversized platinum blonde wig as she is dressed like a kiddy-porn Marilyn Monroe. The handle-held cinematography is nauseating at times as the beautiful little girl dances like an adult.But Don't Worry There's another one just like you, Standing in Line...

Valentine walks over to the President and cleans him up like a baby with one of Coma's pink monogrammed towels. "Listen, your rating's always go up during a punk panic. Play the grieving widower. Grief is good, they love grief." He gives the President a pill.
"Leave this to me. I'll get you a new daughter, the co-star you deserve."
"A pretty one?" he asks childishly.You're as pretty as a $wastika
All the pretty, pretty ones will blow your mind.

Ive tried to maintain that in my time, but Ive realized that I had more to do. I wasnt going to be done with music. It became a turning point. I had to realize that things were depressing and crumbling around me and you have to let go. You have to be willing to hit bottom and you either end up dead or the person who may or may not be for whatever reason destroying you, whether its intentional or not will jump ship because of fear or sinking with you. In turn, they will destroy themselves.

Celebritarian Needs InterviewIf You Wanna Hit Bottom, Don't Bother Taking Me With You..
I'm Two Heart Beats Ahead in Hell Trying to Break Your Fall, Your Fall..

"I'll Stab you once for each time I thought of you"
Manson mentions How He made 158 incisions one for each time he attempted calling Evan. So in a sense, he is speaking to himself as he "cuts cuts cuts"

"And I Won't Answer If You Call, I'm Two Heartbeats Ahead In Hell...Tryin' To Break Your Fall, Your Fall."
From one perspective one could infer that "She" is breaking his fall by not answering the calls, or Manson reflecting on the situation and putting himself in the position to break his own fall, Portraying a new version of the self that is not answering the weakened calls of his former being,It is interesting that he states Two Heartbeats ahead in Hell, because if you think of the rhythm of a heart beat it consists of two pulses, blood pumping in and out. 1-2...1-2....1-2... Listening to the heart in the depths of his soul, Separating himself from what could have became one's downfall.

S.D.
10-10-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm glad you correlated these various lyrical parallels [god]speed, as I was trying to find a tangent to do something similar this week and wasn't sure where it could be done. Fire, and being "burned" are familiar motifs in the Manson canon, not only through their THEOLogical connotations, but also in relation to Manson's own concept of the heart, and of love. During EAT ME, DRINK ME, Manson proclaims that "love is a fire", and the sentiment seems to be negative, especially in the context of the song and mood it relates to. Thinking about it further, however, I'm not so certain that it's supposed to be a negative idea, that love is fire. Urging the reinvention of going "into the fire", would imply that love indeed burns down all that is sees, and everything you think and say, and that this is a positive experience.

The reinvention of love, being mirrored in someone else's eyes (think of the heart-shaped eyes in the EAT ME, DRINK ME booklet, and indeed, those same glasses) would indicate that love is a cleansing fire, and that rather than "death", it is the "destruction" of one love replacing another (after the simple word of love itself already died and went away), and of discovering your heart in someone else's reflection or perception of who you are. I also think this applies to the suggestion by Manson that "anyone with half a soul will hear this" and never leave. The growth of the soul chart, of which I know you are fond [god]speed, shows us that "half" the height of the soul on this chart is half of 18, gauged at the height of 70 horizontally:-

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/chart.jpg?t=1255181360

Half of 70 is 35 --- 3/5 = 15. Also, half of 18 is 9, which is a compilation of triple 3 --- "333 HALF EVIL". Perhaps having half a soul is more conducive to (w)holeness than a full soul, as it requires another soul to make it complete --- two heartbeats in hell --- "I know it's the last day on earth, we'll be together while the planet dies":-

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/day.jpg

Do I Have To Do Everything For You?

I AM YOU

[god]speed
10-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Watching... The Growth and Progress...

ENNUI OPERATION: Measuring and Guaging the Soul, and it's progress throughout.
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/hidden/chart.jpg
Courtesy of NK
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/hidden/celebritarian.html

Number of hits since 1996

1996 Birth of Celebritarianism
2009-1996 = 13 years old. (see chart)
Soul measured every six years
13 divided by 6 = Measured Two times, (Count the Birth as on the chart as measured 3 times)
In 2011 "We" will be 15 years old, soul measured another 0.5,
therefore at 15yrs our soul is measured 3.5x
(edit: to clairify the soul would be measured 0.5 time due to a 3 year period since the 12yr measuring)
15 = 3.5

2011 Seems like a plausible date for the release of a Celebritarian Album.
15 years after 1996

Nov. 16th 1999

We are born as angels

and our parents are God.

They make us in there image.

We follow their commandments.

When we reach the age of reason,

the Age of Horus, we can no longerv be what our "parents" our "god"

our "society" would like us to be.

Maturity, sensibility, rebellion, 15.

This is when we fall.

This is Lucifer.

Being what you want isn't wrong.

The story has always been written from someone

else's perspective.

Now we must write our own, here among thorns.

The Third and Final Beast

MM=2000

S.D.
11-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I was talking to Not Mechanical this evening, and mentioned that the original 15 featured as a hidden track on Mechanical Animals is perhaps one of my favourite Marilyn Manson songs. I was thinking, the way the voice has been manipulated to vibrate and sound "mechanical", sounds similar to the final rasping lines Manson speaks on the song 15 from The High End of Low. It could be intentional.

Norsefire
11-15-2009, 12:25 PM
http://www.celebritarian.co.uk/spade_top.jpg

"you drained my heart and made a spade"

The Empirical Guy
11-17-2009, 06:37 AM
[god]speed, I really like the links you've made there between THEOL and Chapter 10 of the Holy Wood novel.

Just a small thing I noticed a little while ago...

"She has been forecast with an attempt to kill herself, but the ending didn't test well" from Eat Me, Drink Me. So we have killing, death, and if we consider "test" to be as in an exam, then...

"I feel a little sorry baby, I hear the after life is poorly scored" (I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies.

Again, take "scored" not as in a musical score but in the sense of a score in an exam and, with the parallel of death as well, these two lyrics seem very similar, I think.

ImNotJesus
11-18-2009, 07:17 AM
I just brought this up in the "...changing setlist" thread.

Basically, I'm interested in Manson's use of bright colours and neon in THEOL and THEOL related performance.

Ie:

*The Neon Halo front cover.
*Lazer gloves during performance.
*The 'Edward Scissor Hands'-ish neon claws posted above.

Also note the prominant use of (specifically) blue and red throughout the album-art and performances.

I honestly don't have any real ideas, so I'm wondering if anyone has some thoughts?

S.D.
11-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Basically, I'm interested in Manson's use of bright colours and neon in THEOL and THEOL related performance.

*The 'Edward Scissor Hands'-ish neon claws posted above.

Also note the prominant use of (specifically) blue and red throughout the album-art and performances.

From here: PAINTINGS (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php?1924-Analysis-of-Manson-s-Artwork-Portraits-and-Parallels&p=47056)

That post goes into detail some about colours. Mainly the blue being synonymous with "low" and how I think the deliberate use of red, white and blue on the cover of The High End Of Low (with a witty "grey area") is supposed to be like the stars and stripes. Also, the lights you mentioned, I think especially in the shadowy atmosphere of the live arena, is the light "shining in the darkness". The following comparison is between Manson at the recent Moscow show on the 13th, wearing eye goggles with lights attached, and a still from La Jetee, Chris Marker's film (a long term personal favourite of mine as well) about a post apocalypse time travel experiment using a prisoner as test-subject.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/eyes-1.jpg

I won't reveal the plot for those who haven't seen it, but I can say that it would be very easy to reflect it in the line "This is where it starts, this is where it will end". I digress.

The film was also the inspiration and basis for Terry Gilliam's film Twelve Monkeys, though Gilliam expands the plot due to the experimental nature of the original (it is composed entirely using photo-stills, which despite being the basic premise of film anyway, is still a unique experience when you watch it at this speed). In Gilliam's film, the scientists and prisoners from the future are all driven underground after an airborn virus that affects only humans was released in the past. As a result, animals roam free over the surface of the earth.

If the above comparison were evident that Manson is referencing the film I would be overjoyed, because both are pieces I consider to be works of art, and have done for some years now.

Also, keeping with the celluloid theme, as it is so evident in The High End Of Low, I think it's as simple as Manson wanting to reference film-lighting, and his continued serenading of the lights. I also think he's used Sunset Boulevard as an influence for the album, especially how Norma Desmond goes mad and believes that she's more and more involved in her lost Hollywood prime, when she in fact ends the film... Well, I won't give that away, go and watch it!

S.Hal0mega.B
11-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Wow, I love 12 Monkeys, i can really see the comparison. :)

21Faces
11-26-2009, 01:09 AM
"It's Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin-Geddon"

http://dictated.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/a_boy_and_his_dog.jpg

I happened upon this movie through a friend I met on set.

"It's like... fucking armageddon, right? The world is a fucking wasteland- no civilization, no nothing. So you've got all this weird shit going on- like mutations, like this boy and his dog, they can communicate telepathically. So basically all they do is try to survive by looking for food- and they're fighting off other survivors and mutants and shit. And when they find a woman there's a decision to make. Do they kill her and eat her? Or do they fuck her? Then kill her and eat her? It's a foregone conclusion they're going to kill her and eat her, but the question is are they going to get their rocks off first?"

Some may also find it interesting that "A Boy and his Dog" includes a scene where a snuff film is shown. This (dramatized) snuff film features the actual movie's director as an "actor." There are other connections as well (including but not limited to obvious themes of misogyny), but everyone should really just watch the film.

[god]speed
11-28-2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/nk_theol_red_antichrist_halo.jpg

Looking upwards seeing his fears of hell, being misunderstood, misinterpreted in the "real world" praying to his self that he will be safe and not the victim. Not wanting to suffer the fate of previous anti-christs, Jesus and Kennedy the prime examples who were martyred publicly for their beliefs. But to be able to bring about change in the world that understands him. (I AM YOU)
Manson's triptych is a doctrine... he's climbing out of the abyss in this album... Praying that our world will see his vision, not of death... But of destruction of the past's unfortunate events and enabling us to seek the grandeur vision as it unfolds in the astonishing panoramic scenes that our laid out before our eyes.

I think Nick Kushner's image photoshopped below further illustrates exactly what I have stated above. Notice the blood splatter's on his face... This is his fear, though he knows he must put that on the line and attempt to overcome where many others have for lack of a better terms "failed" at generating a revolution, a revival on a massive scale.. That which artists have sought to create since the beginning of time, A new way... A new era.... A new aeon of thought and change without being the sacrifice he as already suffered and survived through

photo below

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/nachtkabarett_marilyn_manson_the_high_end_of_low_i ntroduction.jpg

Mexicanfiend
11-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I have a theory about The High End Of Low having many parallelisms to Jesus Christ's "Stations of the Cross" thing -Via Crucis, in latin-; but I've felt uninspired to finish the essay I began months ago.

spaceSuicide
11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Pretty as a ($)
The Only thing Immortal in this world Is Money.

You can kill me, you can kill them, you can let everyone die. The only thing in this world that does not die is money.

S.D.
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm interested in Manson's use of bright colours and neon in THEOL and THEOL related performance.

It would appear that I am incredibly fucking dim, I really didn't even put these two together when I read and responded to your post the first time around, but the two above, are clearly the same thing. I watched the performance of last night's Cruci-Fiction In Space in Portugal, with the laser gloves, and it just seemed pretty obvious that as Manson clutches a fist with the gloves, it's the same motion as the clutched fist around the "halo" on the record sleeve.

People might dislike the prop (or even the album cover for that matter), and it might just be one of those observations that is so fucking obvious it doesn't seem worth mentioning, but at least there's no room for criticism of intent with these gloves, whether you think it works aesthetically or not.

-<me>-
12-18-2009, 08:01 PM
The Wall....

"isn't a mob"

"need to change the names"

"I ? you

now I will kill you"

"Cut, cut, cut"

...has murdered someone's something sacred

nail without dirt under it ... isnt any white cotton panties that aren't soaked and

stained red"

"Exit now unsaved changes will be lost"

"I kissed god between your thighs" < thanks S.D. for filling in the blanks.

Many thanks to Norsefire for the images....

http://www.celebritarian.co.uk/n17/n7.jpg

http://www.celebritarian.co.uk/n17/n8.jpg

Norsefire
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm interested in Manson's use of bright colours and neon in THEOL and THEOL related performance.

It would appear that I am incredibly fucking dim, I really didn't even put these two together when I read and responded to your post the first time around, but the two above, are clearly the same thing. I watched the performance of last night's Cruci-Fiction In Space in Portugal, with the laser gloves, and it just seemed pretty obvious that as Manson clutches a fist with the gloves, it's the same motion as the clutched fist around the "halo" on the record sleeve.

People might dislike the prop (or even the album cover for that matter), and it might just be one of those observations that is so fucking obvious it doesn't seem worth mentioning, but at least there's no room for criticism of intent with these gloves, whether you think it works aesthetically or not.

I think the laser gloves are great, I think it works well with the track he wears them for - Cruci-Fiction In Space - it could be seen as the blood from the stigmata in the hands.

Cassandra
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Just something I noticed:

"I have to look up just to see hell"
Marilyn Manson- I Have to Look Up Just To See Hell

"Well, I've been down so Goddamn long that it looks like up to me"
The Doors- Been Down So Long

The Doors' song is inspired by a book by Richard Farina Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Been_Down_So_Long_It_Looks_Like_Up_to_Me) .

spaceSuicide
02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Funnily enough I just found that one of the Print Mafia posters during the 2008 Rape of the World Tour had a ($) sign on it, roughly a year before any sight of one was around. See, eerily enough it's also by Swastikas.

http://www.mansonwiki.com/w/images/c/c2/StLouPrint.jpg

Norsefire
02-07-2010, 03:03 PM
yeah, and there is a hitler one to go with it. I posted them once at the 'phant. I'm sure the Hitler one has a Swastika where the dollar sign is, so its cool to see the dollar sign being a sort of American swastika.
I don't know if it has anything to do with Manson though, I think they were designed by Print Mafia, but even if there is no connection between Manson's dollar signs and Print Mafia's, its still cool.

S.Hal0mega.B
02-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Just something I noticed:

"I have to look up just to see hell"
Marilyn Manson- I Have to Look Up Just To See Hell

"Well, I've been down so Goddamn long that it looks like up to me"
The Doors- Been Down So Long

The Doors' song is inspired by a book by Richard Farina Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Been_Down_So_Long_It_Looks_Like_Up_to_Me) .

wow. what a 'coincidence'.... i mean cant that not be deliberate? lol i dunno anymore

S.D.
02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Echoes from Portrait Of An American Family in The High End Of Low?

The phrase "Porno Nation" in Cake And Sodomy seems to relate to We're From America ("where they let you come on their faces") - the USA; "Nation" and pornography. The "cumshot" (ejaculation filmed when covering someone's face) is a staple of Americanised porno movies. Also, reiterated from my observations in The Heirophant topic on The High End Of Low, and the initial post in this thread:-

During numerous live performances over the years (if not all) Manson changes lyrics in The Dope Show to "We love your face, I'd really like to cum on it", thus relating The High End Of Low to The Dope Show once more, not only lyrically but thematically. I also like the potential link between "Hate today, no love for tomorrow" and "I want to sell you hate, today's the day you're gonna fucking die" [Blank And White].

ThreeEyedGod
02-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Echoes from Portrait Of An American Family in The High End Of Low?

The phrase "Porno Nation" in Cake And Sodomy seems to relate to We're From America ("where they let you come on their faces") - the USA; "Nation" and pornography. The "cumshot" (ejaculation filmed when covering someone's face) is a staple of Americanised porno movies. Also, reiterated from my observations in The Heirophant topic on The High End Of Low, and the initial post in this thread:-

During numerous live performances over the years (if not all) Manson changes lyrics in The Dope Show to "We love your face, I'd really like to cum on it", thus relating The High End Of Low to The Dope Show once more, not only lyrically but thematically. I also like the potential link between "Hate today, no love for tomorrow" and "I want to sell you hate, today's the day you're gonna fucking die" [Blank And White].

Don't forget " Watch Out,Your Face, Sperm as cold as ice"

S.D.
03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone sees validity in this idea; The Hermit tarot as referenced during Holy Wood, also inspiring The High End Of Low? No single consensus seems to have been made about the aesthetic choice behind the "hoods" of the record, Manson is not only wearing one on the record sleeve, but also in the booklet and at various public performances. Ginger Fish depicted The Hermit in Holy Wood:-

http://providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./HermitGinger.png

The Hermit is supposed to be an emblem of retracting one's self from the majority, or isolation for the better of the character, and for personal or artistic gain. Perhaps this could be seen in Manson's description of isolating himself during the lead up to his birthday in 2009, he described being alone over the holiday period. Some of the first promotional images from The High End Of Low (and the Armageddon video) showed Manson in the hood, alone in almost all shots. Here is an example:-

http://providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./HermitManson.png

It seems to fit in thematically, the album was a rebirth of sorts, a period of isolation can be synonymous with rejuvenation. I like it as an idea anyway, so many people were whining that the record and "era" were devoid of as many referential themes as past albums, I think maybe you just have to seek them out a little more dilligently. The Hermit is also a torchbearer - "The light shines in the darkness" - the "torch on Ginger's card is his right arm, which I have never seen anyone mention, it seems to be a [pre]extension of The Nobodies video imagery. Obviously (forgive the tangent, as ever!) it's probably also the literal "Holy Wood"/Tree Of Knowledge that Manson has spoken about often.
But in relation to The High End Of Low, the torchbearer brings I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell to mind, and the various film lights utilised throughout. The Hermit is also an Alchemical figure, quite literally The Alchemist, an isolated figure who conjures alone. Perhaps Manson was adopting the character of Alchemist (again!) during the record's creation?

spaceSuicide
03-22-2010, 04:08 AM
I don't care, I still find these in direct reference with each other, non coincidentally or not.

Live in 1998, Rock is Dead Tour

http://www.mansonwiki.com/w/images/4/48/MALive24.jpg

THEOL photoshoot

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/28053939/Marilyn+Manson+The+High+End+of+Low.jpg

The Empirical Guy
03-22-2010, 04:15 AM
^ Perhaps a nod to the fact that, as Manson was fond of saying before the song on THEOL tour, "Rock is not dead!"

Norsefire
05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I got a Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids flyer the other day, and when I read it something really awesome stood out, so I had to share it.

http://www.celebritarian.co.uk/mm_nooseletter.jpg

Is it the news?
or is it the noose?
- Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin-Geddon
I thought it was so cool to see that he was calling the news the noose back during the spooky kids.

spaceSuicide
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I thought it was so cool to see that he was calling the news the noose back during the spooky kids.

me too, that's awesome.

The Empirical Guy
05-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah, great find. I guess it's just the sort of pun that goes through his head all the time, but didn't have the chance to use it in a song until now.

S.D.
05-28-2010, 02:08 AM
I guess it's just the sort of pun that goes through his head all the time, but didn't have the chance to use it in a song until now.

Well, there's that element, but also the recurring motif of strangulation throughout The High End Of Low, and the possibility that it wasn't a viable pun to use up until that point...
I say that because I was suggesting something to Mary recently, about Manson's make-up for the tour. It sounds morbid, but given some of the reactions to the initial run of live shows, I thought the deep black rings round Manson's eyes, and the dark black/blue marks across his temples and neckline might have been representing blood coagulation after death by strangulation. The first promotional picture anyone saw from the record was the Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon sleeve image, with Manson beside what looked like the shadow of a gallows, bringing up the obvious comparison with Adam Ant (a Highwayman, a Dandy, the high road to a low way of life...):-

http://providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./image018.jpg

http://providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./adam_ant.jpg

I guess that role of the condemned is juxtaposed with Manson as the "Executioner" as well, given the album's commentary - "If the world had one neck".
But the Noose/News thing, I don't know if it would have worked at any other stage, Manson's always been fond of victimising himself through characters, but The High End Of Low was the first time he was really vulnerable to critics, and they chose to take him on that, making any "News" surrounding his name as negative as possible (a Noose if you will), which might not have happened so virulently at any other stage of his career. I think he was throwing himself to the lions to a degree, and he has still emerged the better for it, perhaps more creatively driven of late than at any recent point.
Here's a tour image with the make-up I mentioned, to me it looks like strangulation blood rupturing:-

http://providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./neck.jpg

Again, as ever, I'm not trying to be some loon and suggest any of that was planned since 1989 or anything, it's clearly just a play on words Manson wanted to re-use at a time when it was appropriate, and that's fine, it's his pun, but in relation to that awesome connection Norsefire made, I wanted to offer some of these thoughts I'd had as well.
I even remember mentioning to Mary that when Manson played what many called the worst tour performance at the Download festival in '09, a lot of people spoke about how when the set was ending, and going pretty badly, Twiggy gestured to his neck like one would a noose. I never saw the footage, but people who were there said it was an odd moment, and I wondered if it was related to these ideas at all.
I also love the fact that there is still so much conversation and potential readings of an album that a lot of people carelessly said was void of such interpretations originally. It's never that simple with Marilyn Manson.

Norsefire
05-29-2010, 01:48 PM
great post S.D. I liked the thoughts on his tour make up.

S.D.
06-17-2010, 02:15 AM
Another Charlie Manson idea (in a sense) this week. From the Dope Hat video:-

"WE EAT OUR YOUNG"

http://providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./DopeEatOurYoung.png

Manson (senior) was accused of misguiding The Family (the young), in a sense preying on and "eating" their insecurities and stupidities. As ever, I couldn't say if that parallel was intentional in the case of Dope Hat, but it works nicely with the above visual. Similarly, America was the society that chewed up and spat out those members of The Family, and then tried to disown them when they reached up and killed people.

"I was made in America, and America hates me for what I am
I am your shit, you should be ashamed of what you have eaten"
Rock N' Roll Nigger

http://www.providermodule.com/discography/images/disc_main_wfa.jpg

"Made In U.S.A."

Indeed
08-03-2013, 05:28 PM
I was listening to The High End of Low today and i realized this is an amazing album! I dont understand the hate on it. Tracks like "Running To The Edge Of The World" and "I Want Kill You Like They Do In The Movies" and "White Spider" are probably some of the best tracks since Mechanical Animals! I understand that the TOUR in 2009 wasn't the best. Just Imagine if the 2009 tour had as much effort as Hey Cruel World? The Band would be playing arenas by now! Now the only problem about this album was the production. I hate how devour is cut off at the end and four rusted horses sounds terrible quality wise. Both being amazing tracks I felt they were ruined and the high end of low should have been a double album.

bjorn_parramoure
08-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Four Rusted Horses uses a phrase ("Useless in Hell") very similar to a phrase he penned in the Holy Wood novel ("Worthless in Hell").

She is shaking more now and her strand of confidence is snapping. She starts crying weakly and
he laughs at her, wiping the blood and tears out of his eyes.

"You're nothing, now you'll be less than nothing. Back to the ghetto for poor trash like you."

She stops the sound coming from her mouth abruptly with this realization. She opens her chapped,
red lips into the shape of an 'o' and sticks the barrel in her mouth.

"You'll be worthless in hell too."

She pulls the trigger and fires. Her head explodes onto the perfect white walls. If the
President had a frame of reference he would consider her blood splatter to be completely artless
even by Jackson Pollack's standards.

YoureAlreadyHere
01-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Detecting some AIDS from Baudelaire

The Sunset of Romanticism
How beautiful the Sun is when newly risen
He hurls his morning greetings like an explosion!
Fortunate the one who can lovingly salute
His setting, more glorious than a dream!
I remember!... I have seen all, flower, stream, furrow,
Swoon under his gaze like a palpitating heart...
Let us run to the horizon, it's late,
Let us run fast, to catch at least a slanting ray!
But I pursue in vain the sinking god;
Irresistible Night, black, damp, deadly,
Full of shudders, establishes his reign;
The odor of the tomb swims in the shadows
And at the marsh's edge my timid foot
Treads upon slimy snails and unexpected toads.
William Aggeler, The Flowers of Evil (Fresno, CA: Academy Library Guild, 1954)

"We're running to the edge of the world
I don't know if the world will end today

I can see a new begining rise behind the sun
We can never catch up to it as fast as we run"

I'd also like to add:
"How beautiful the Sun is when newly risen
He hurls his morning greetings like an explosion!"

In comparison/contrast to

"I had no choice, I erased the debt of our family
I let you say goodbye with lips like dynamite
And everyone turned their backs, 'cause they knew
When we held on tight to each other
That we were something fatal, that fell into the wrong hands"

Duality Again, the high end of low

The Overman
11-23-2014, 05:04 AM
Just a little tiddlywink, but it seems not to have been noted here.

http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/A_CAT_MAY_LOOK_AT_A_KING

A CAT MAY LOOK AT A KING
An essay by Marilyn Manson
July 17, 2002
marilynmanson.com Journal entry

A catless grin with smoke for words,
I love all those who let me.
M.M.
A.D.

An indirect THEOL lyric from back when Manson was still signing off with his Holy Wood tag. Kinda groovy.

EDIT: From the same. To be honest, these may have been pointed out in this thread already; I'm too lazy to check beyond the first few pages.

Those who have low expectations should get high.

The Overman
12-10-2014, 03:56 AM
"The WOW":

"Don't be surprised/I can look in yoir eyes"

Monster Magnet's "Spine Of God", which Manson joined the band on-stage for in 1999:

"Don't be surprised/There's a bug in your eye"

Very minor potential source of inspiration for that couplet.