PDA

View Full Version : What Language Are You Learning?

Thief
07-01-2009, 01:05 PM
I figured a thread like this would be nice. For anyone who's learning a language, maybe we can find a native speaker or someone similar on here for you! =). Plus it's a nice way to make friends. <3.

Any French-speaking Mansonites out there? I would've been going into my third year, but I'm going to a different school next year, so I'm trying to get some help online.

Miss Lisa
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
You might know that I'm studying French at uni ~ and I'm moving to France for my Year Abroad in a couple of months, scary!

I'd love to chat with native speakers and also am happy to help with any French work (to the best of my ability!), just ask :-D

Sputnik
07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
well...I'm learning french at school :) not very good at it tho...
and i guess il have to learn Dutch since i moved to holland...
at my old school i used to learn greek and itallian - which i hate(hated the teachers not the language) so I didnt pay attention to them...
and I know russian...but my grammer SUFFERS
english of corz. so the only 1s Im actually good at are English, French nd spoken Russian.

Komakino
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Where did you move?

I speak Dutch, which is my native language, English, and a bit of German, but my six years of French lessons were useless. *rolls eyes*

ikkedylandus
07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
^Haha, you're gonna have a hard time learning Dutch =PP

Komakino
07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
It's probably harder to learn Russian than it is to learn Dutch. :P

ikkedylandus
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
OOh don't underestimate the dutch language! If I speak Dutch on xbox live, the americans think i'm talking arabic or something =P but Yeah I Guess Russian Is a damn hard language to learn

R_Flagg
07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I think Dutch is pretty hard, especially to get the accent right. Good luck with it. :D

Thief
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh, and I totally forgot to add that I know minimal Russian -- something I'd also like to learn. =).

R_Flagg
07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I have to dust off my French again. I learned it at high school but lost a lot of it. And if I go back to Belgium, for a lot of the jobs you need to be billingual Dutch/French.

Coma_White_917
07-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I started learning Spanish last semester at school. Now that it's summer, I'm continuing to learn it on my own, and will take another Spanish class once school starts again.

Lord Hypnos
07-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I was born in Mexico, so I learned Spanish first. I started learning English in 5th grade and am now in 10th. I'm proud to say that I know English very well, and prefer to write and talk in that language.

I hate that I mix up words sometimes though :\ And talking in Spanglish is addicting.

Komakino
07-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Dutch is hard, but Russian has a different alphabet. ;)

By the way, I wouldn't mind if people told me if I made (grammatical) errors in English here. How else can I improve my English? :)

Sputnik
07-01-2009, 03:16 PM
yeah...Dutch seems really hard
R_Flagg aren't u in Holland now? planning to learn it anytime? :P

R_Flagg
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
yeah...Dutch seems really hard
R_Flagg aren't u in Holland noa? planning to learn it anytime? :P

I was born and raised in Belgium so I already know it. :p

Sputnik
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
^ -_- lucky.

ikkedylandus
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Go Belgium!! =P

R_Flagg
07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Go Belgium!! =P

A fellow Belgian? Woop woop.

Epsilon.
07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm learning German in school. My teacher has only been teaching for a few years and she's not very good, so everyone in the class is kind of struggling. Most of the people in there aren't too serious about learning it anyway, I'm probably one of like four people who are actually somewhat good at it.

I took a year of Spanish in 8th grade, I was really good at it and had a very good teacher. I really wish I had stuck with it instead of switching to German. Ugh.

Morphine
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I speak English, Russian and Romanian(although my Romanian is a bit rusty)
Spoken Ukrainian is something else I can handle - but don't ask me to write or about grammar.
I'm learning French. Had two years of it, and my teacher was shit. She had a thick Russian accent(She's also Russian but teaches in America) not just in French, but also in English and made constant mistakes. I know it somewhat, but just enough to survive.

yuzukelly
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
i can speak some french. when i was 5 i went to a kindergarten through 8th grade school that taught you french all the years. up untill middle school all the teachers spoke french then in middle school 2 out of 5 teacher spoke english. now im going to be a junior and last year i finished my 4th level of the language(we only get 2 credits in middle school even thoguh we learned it for 9 years) and we need to take 3. i failed the 4th level :/ i didn't like the teacher and honestly i have no idea what the passe compose is XD

Thief
07-01-2009, 06:50 PM
i can speak some french. when i was 5 i went to a kindergarten through 8th grade school that taught you french all the years. up untill middle school all the teachers spoke french then in middle school 2 out of 5 teacher spoke english. now im going to be a junior and last year i finished my 4th level of the language(we only get 2 credits in middle school even thoguh we learned it for 9 years) and we need to take 3. i failed the 4th level :/ i didn't like the teacher and honestly i have no idea what the passe compose is XD

They taught you passe compose fourth level? My teacher brought that up in the first year. xD. Past tense, btw.

yuzukelly
07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
oh no we've been learning since 1st level but we are taught again about it every year and i just don't get it. i used to know the etre, but i forgot :/

Lauren
07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I took a semester of Spanish in middle school then two years in high school. While I wish I could, I'm not going to continue this year, there are more important things for me to take at school.

I would love to learn more languages, especially French and Japanese. I know a tiny bit of Japanese from elementary school and like two words in French, haha. I always tell my mom she should've made me start learning languages when I was really young.

zwiebelsaft
07-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm trying to learn French in my (thus lack of) spare time, but I've been learning German for the last three years, and I'm going to language camp in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I have lost interest in learning German, but too late to avoid going to camp.

Voulez-vous parler Français avec moi? ;D PM-vous moi pour mi MSN. That was shit, but I tried.

oh no we've been learning since 1st level but we are taught again about it every year and i just don't get it. i used to know the etre, but i forgot :/
Stop me where I'm wrong:

Je suis
Tu es
Il/Elle est
Nous sommes
Ils/elles sont
Vous êtes

yuzukelly
07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
i took french for 11 years i should have known that XD i feel like a dumbass lol

but thank you for telling me :D

i know this one;

j'ai
tu as
il as
nous avons
vous avez
ils ont

is that right?

Miss Lisa
07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
It's 'il a', but other than that spot on :-)

yuzukelly
07-01-2009, 10:34 PM
:D
thank you Miss Lisa :D

Procrastinator
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Hai! Am lernin English.

I started learning it in kindergarten and I still remember the "Little Puppy" and "Black Sheep" song. Also, when I sometimes forget the alphabet (which letter is after which), I start singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with the letters of the alphabet instead of the lyrics. This is how I learned the English alphabet in the first place.

On a more serious note, what helped me learn the most, was translating song lyrics when I wasn't attending any English classes. In other words, I taught myself. Which is why I don't know grammar in theory, but somehow manage to make sense and communicate with native English speakers and that's great (for now). Signing up on the 'Phant has helped me learn A LOT, too. You've no idea how much I learned there and neither do I. Being a member here also helps, depite it not being the reason I registered. But I learn new words from you guys every day! <3 And I intend to improve my knowledge by attending classes when I have the chance because I am missing some ridiculously basic stuff.

Also, I have a forthcoming IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test this month. Wish me luck.

Joker
07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm currently learning Russian, very very slowly.

I'm crap, but I have a very patient (and hot) teacher ;)

Method Man
07-02-2009, 02:21 AM
I did German in school. I was alright at it. Got myself a C anyway. Can't really remember much of it now.

Alexandra
07-02-2009, 03:01 AM
I've been learning German for 6 years and I still can't build a proper sentence(!) I'm going to Liceum this year (a Polish equivalent of high school) and this time I'm planning to learn it :)

Miss Lisa: That's great! There's definitely nothing better than learning a language abroad ;)

Barbarella
07-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Due to my parentage I'm fluent in Farsi and Greek. I think growing up and hearing it from an early age helps.

We did French and German at school but I was never very good at either of them. I've just about given up trying to learn another language at this point.

Necrophilip
07-02-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm Finnish, and currently I'm studying both nordic and English philology in uni. So if any of you have trouble grasping any black metal lyrics in Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian, holler. :P

Lecter
07-02-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm not really learning learning those languages but I'm kinda looking at the basics of Hebrew and Spanish.

Anima XI
07-02-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm still learning to speak Urdu, the language of Pakistan. I can understand it, but I still have a hard time putting sentences together.

Ich_Bin_Du
07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
In school I learn English, French and Latin. But I think Latin isn't really a language. :P

zwiebelsaft
07-02-2009, 12:11 PM
In school I learn English, French and Latin. But I think Latin isn't really a language. :P
It's dead, but thanks to Rome, it's a major foundation for a lot of European languages, especially English.

i took french for 11 years i should have known that XD i feel like a dumbass lol

but thank you for telling me :D

i know this one;

j'ai
tu as
il as
nous avons
vous avez
ils ont

is that right?

Yeah- it sounds about right. And it's okay- it's hard enough learning one language. Try two. :)

yuzukelly
07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Due to my parentage I'm fluent in Farsi and Greek. I think growing up and hearing it from an early age helps.

We did French and German at school but I was never very good at either of them. I've just about given up trying to learn another language at this point.

my dad is iranian and he said when i was little he tried teaching me farsi, but my mom kept making fun of him/the language, so he quit trying to teach me.

cyborg assassin
07-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I learned French and German at school, but rather idiotically didn't make much effort to remember them afterwards. This is a great shame, as I have a much more positive opinion of the French and (particularly) the Germans nowadays than I did when I was at school, and I really should make an effort to relearn these languages.

thedarkhorse
07-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm making a feeble attemt to learn Polish but languages are bit beyond me really.

Barbarella
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
my dad is iranian and he said when i was little he tried teaching me farsi, but my mom kept making fun of him/the language, so he quit trying to teach me.
That's a pity, about him giving up trying to teach you I mean.

Lord Hypnos
07-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I barely have a grasp on my native language, a second one is pointless to me.

Seriously, learning a new language is damn exciting and helpful (obviously lol). If it makes you feel determined, learning Spanish can maybe possibly pick up a few chicks (or Oed) with seducing words like algo en tu cara me fascina mi reina ;)

Lord Hypnos
07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I barely have a grasp on my native language, a second one is pointless to me.

Seriously, learning a new language is damn exciting and helpful (obviously lol). If it makes you feel determined, learning Spanish can maybe possibly pick up a few chicks (or Oed) with seducing words like tu sonrisa me da vida mi reina ;)

Ich_Bin_Du
07-03-2009, 08:48 AM
It's dead, but thanks to Rome, it's a major foundation for a lot of European languages, especially English.

That's right, it's pretty funny and interesting to see Latin in the German or English language, but I don't like that you can't really speak Latin, just translate it (in school)....

Alexandra
07-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm making a feeble attemt to learn Polish but languages are bit beyond me really.

Polish is a quite difficult language (some spelling rules are a bit ridiculous) but like Synyster Gates said, learning a new language is very rewarding, so don't give up! :)
Plus, I could help ;P

Oh, and why Polish, if I can ask?

zwiebelsaft
07-04-2009, 08:08 AM
[quote="Ich_Bin_Du":qn868an3]In school I learn English, French and Latin. But I think Latin isn't really a language. :P

That's right, it's pretty funny and interesting to see Latin in the German or English language, but I don't like that you can't really speak Latin, just translate it (in school)....[/quote:qn868an3]
Yeah- Latin is a weird langauge, since there are wikipedia pages written in that language, and there are plenty college courses and high school courses that teach the language, but nobody actually speaks it as a first language, and no country has it listed as either an official or minority language. Well- except the Vatican, but that "country" is filled with 800 old men, so we don't count that.

thedarkhorse
07-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Polish is a quite difficult language (some spelling rules are a bit ridiculous) but like Synyster Gates said, learning a new language is very rewarding, so don't give up! :)
Plus, I could help ;P

Oh, and why Polish, if I can ask?

Most of the people where I work are Polish and I am visiting Poland in the autumn so I though I would try and learn a bit.

Alexandra
07-04-2009, 12:36 PM
^ Oh, I see. Well, I hope you'll have a nice time here :)

Golgi Apparatus
07-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I was taking a Russian language course for the spring semester, but because of requisites I was unable to sign up for it in the fall. It sucks - I was doing pretty good for not ever having taken a foreign language.

Perhaps I'll invest in Rosetta Stone someday.

RevManz
07-06-2009, 08:38 AM
well...i had two years of french. that was quite fun to learn. :)

i also know bits and pieces from japanese aS well. oh, and i know one word from latin: svperstar. :P

Lord Hypnos
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
^LOL! XD

Golgi Apparatus
09-28-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm currently taking a Brasilian Portuguese class. It feels lot more fluid than Russian. I'd really like to make more of an effort in learning it than I have been - been missing class and not really focusing as much as I should be. I'd someday like to be able to be fluent in Portuguese, Russian, as well as English. I wish my school taught Dakotah, unfortnately the only Native language they teach here is Cherokee - Like I'm ever going to use that.

cyborg assassin
09-28-2009, 01:45 AM
I learned French and German at school, but rather idiotically didn't make much effort to remember them afterwards. This is a great shame, as I have a much more positive opinion of the French and (particularly) the Germans nowadays than I did when I was at school, and I really should make an effort to relearn these languages.

I've decided to have a stab at relearning German. If it all goes well I might try relearning French as well. I might be interested in learning Italian sometime, but I am getting way ahead of myself here.

Along with the United States, Germany, France, and Italy are my favourite countries outside the United Kingdom.

I'm also learning shorthand at the moment (Teeline), which is a bit like learning to write a new language. I need to learn it but I don't find it as enjoyable as learning German.

YDG
09-28-2009, 04:25 AM
I tend to spend a lot of time around people who don't really speak English, basically just Spanish. Most of the time I only understand random words here and there, but after a while it became a lot easier to know what they're talking about even if I don't know exactly what they're saying. Does that count? XD

The Empirical Guy
09-28-2009, 06:05 AM
Ich spreche kein Deutsche!

But I am trying to learn, slowly. My girlfriend and best friend both speak German, and I'd like to go there some day, but it's very slow going. Not a lot of time to concentrate on it, but I'm slowly picking up simple words and phrases.

antichristangel
09-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I took a year and a half of french in high school and at community college, but i don't remember most of it. I could maybe understand a little spoken french if it was really simple.
So currently I'm in first semester Latin which is awesome so far :)

R_Flagg
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm taking evening classes Portuguese now, one evening per week. No reason other than learning something new.

Miss Lisa
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I move to France today 8-|

Seven
09-29-2009, 02:13 AM
At school I learned French, Latin and Russian. They could all do with some serious brushing up, my sister-in-law is Russian so she is helping me with that. It is nice for us to have something we can do together. I am going to be learning Spanish cos I signed up for an evening class.

zwiebelsaft
09-29-2009, 04:37 AM
There are some days where I wish I could say that. :P Good luck, Ms. Lisa. I wish I could say that en Français. Bon... voyage? o_O

The Empirical Guy
09-29-2009, 06:06 AM

Wow, that's pretty huge. Hope all goes well with the move.

Miss Lisa
10-01-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm settling in OK, through sheer luck have found a place to stay with a lovely couple until my flat is ready.

:-D

Lecter
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I already speak Arabic (my native tongue), German (14 years of German school will do that to you), a bit of English (obviously, or I wouldn't be able to type this) and a tiny little bit of French.

So if anyone needs any help with Arabic let me know!

I always wanted to learn Spanish and Hebrew. I have already started but still got a long way ahead of me.

zwiebelsaft
10-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm settling in OK, through sheer luck have found a place to stay with a lovely couple until my flat is ready.

:-D
C'est fantastique, Lisa!

BirdmadGirl
10-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to learn C++. Does that count for anything? :P

zwiebelsaft
10-06-2009, 04:41 AM
^ Lol. :P I'm learning A+ in school, but that's not a language per se.

Sputnik
11-16-2010, 11:41 AM
MAJOR BUMP

Hey guys, sorry for the major bump, but i've basically been having issues with my french classes... We are barely learning anything here, and the exams are coming up pretty soon, we haven't written any essays since the begining of our last school year...
There are no available tutors in my area either... : (
so I was wondering, if anyone would be so amazing as too read through an ocassional french essay, correcting the shizztone of grammer and spelling mistakes?
:D

Shangri-LIE
11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Love

RevManz
11-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Love

That's definitely a tricky langauge.

yuzukelly
11-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Bump :s

Is it ok to post here ~? I have some more stuff to share on this topic but if not I apologize >~<

I've taken on learning Farsi ~! It's my father's native language, and I want to learn enough to hold a small conversation with him and surprise him, from there it might be easier for him to help me? lol :D Any people who speak it here?

I also want to share this resource! If you live in the US and have a library card, check out to see if your city's library carries Mango Languages. Not all libraries have it but you can request it;

http://www.mangolanguages.com/libraries/

It's free language learning! A friend I met at college told me about it last winter. I counted last night, it was 45 languages available and ESL courses too. If you have a smart phone, you can download the library version app too. It's really cool! I want to spread the word about it *^_^*

Shangri-LIE
11-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Hate Speech/Love Letters. *In a world of dark paranoia*

adamchabbi6
11-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I studied French GCSE at high school and my parents speak French at home, so I know quite a few words in the French language. I'm not fluent in French though, since I'm not so good at learning foreign languages fluently.

I also learnt some German whilst listening to Rammstein but not fluent in the language as well.

So I'm not currently learning any languages at the moment but I know some French and very little German. In Spanish I know "ola", which means "hello" and "gracias" meaning "thanks."

Leticia
11-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm constantly to improve my English and I very want to learn German.

I also know Russian and Ukrainian.

fill in the blank
12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
the language of life

Shattered Dream
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
None, 'cause I'm 'Murrikan!!!!

Swede
12-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Women's language. (Especially when I come into the kitchen and I'm told that I shouldn't be there haha.
But when she has to peel an onion, who's to do it?) I'm still learning..

Seriously: I'll take this opportunity to ask you all about a little respect and understanding regarding my English. It has always been really bad and I can understand if you may not understand what I want to say on the occasions I made a forum post. Please, try to read again, maybe reverse the words or ask again or simply ignore me. However, I am allergic to elitism and how language barriers can make you look stupid. Well, with all good intentions, I'm looking forward to read all your posts. /yeah, I'm translating them.

johncraze
12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
German, with the Rosetta Stone program, it is really good!, and it was about time I needed to start learning it. I've always loved the language, and I listen to a shitload of bands that sing in german.

J.Lecter
01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
German, with the Rosetta Stone program, it is really good!, and it was about time I needed to start learning it. I've always loved the language, and I listen to a shitload of bands that sing in german.

I was thinking about buying a Rosetta Stone program (not sure which language), but at $400 it's not an easy decision.

So I compromised . . . bought an e-book on sign language. =D

Gonzalo
02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Well the languages I want to learn:
-Thai
-Korean
-Chinese (Mandarin)
-Singaporian
-Indonesian
-Spanish
-Malaysian
Those are the ones i am 100% committed, to. I don't want to be learning languages forever so I'll probably be done, after I finish those.

Seven
02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
A great site for learning languages is http://www.duolingo.com. They do English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. It is free and really good, that's where I learned German.

LittlePistol
02-12-2013, 08:18 PM
I am currently in the process of trying to learn Finnish.

Don't ask hahaha. A lot of my fav bands (aside from Manson) are from Finland and I just think the language is beautiful.

Ive been at it for like a year now but never really devoting hardcore attention to it. Ive got numbers, colors, animals, days of the week etc. Now the hard part for me is learning to string it all together. Finnish is hard!! It doesn't help that there aren't a whole lot of resources for learning it, Rosetta Stone doesn't even offer it lol. I want to learn Norwegian, Swedish, German, French, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, Latin, Gaelic...etc etc but for now, FINNISH it is.

I have used this site www.livemocha.com off and on and I really like it, maybe it will help some others out. :)

Shattered Dream
02-13-2013, 03:14 PM
None, 'cause I'm 'Murrikan!!!!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtEdQBlxgrAvcOH08ttbCXZ5SkoU7nh dn12z2ogShRnmHmupNorA