PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who

S.D.
07-10-2009, 05:56 AM
It occurs to me I have been somewhat starved for discussion of the good Doctor of late, and knowing that we have some dedicated Whovians here, I thought I'd set aside a little corner of space for all things Gallifreyan and beyond. Perhaps starting things off with some Q&A would be good, and I'm sure the conversation will go forward from there in anticipation of the forthcoming specials this year... Anyway:-

Which is your favourite Doctor?: Jon Pertwee, always, with Paul McGann coming in at a close second.

Favourite Companion?: Jo Grant, because I have a crush on Katy Manning in the 1970s. Lucie Miller is pretty cool as well, and Ben and Polly were a good duo.

Favourite televised story? Planet of the Daleks

Favourite other format story? (if applicable): Probably the BBC Eighth Doctor novel Seeing I.

What is it you like about Doctor Who?: It has always been there for me when I need cheering up, like a security blanket. It's always represented innovative writing, novel ideas, interesting Science-Fiction concepts and lasting iconography. I also like to watch it when I come home late at night after getting stupidly drunk.

Enjoy it!

Miss Lisa
07-10-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm not a massive fan (you lost me at 'Whovian'), but I loved it when I was younger...

Which is your favourite Doctor?: Peter Davison. Maybe because he looked a bit like my dad.
Favourite companion?: No clue, sorry.
Favourite televised story?: The one where the Dalek did an emotional monologue. I. Forget. How. To. Feel.
Favourite other format story?: Um, does the computer game count? It was released in about 1998, you could change which Doctor you were. It was brilliant.
What is it you like about Doctor Who?: The power behind it? I like the dash of humour as well.

Seven
07-10-2009, 06:14 AM
I have always loved Doctor Who and the new series are really good.

Which is your favourite doctor? Tom Baker and then Jon Pertwee.
Favourite companion? Don't really have a favourite. I like the new ones too except Martha, she is such a whiny thing.
Favourite televised story. The original daleks ones and the cybermen. They were scary.
What is it you like about Doctor Who? It always seemed to have been there. It is fun, does not take itself too seriously, has great 'villains' and always manages to entertain. Love it.

Can't wait for the new ones to come out.

Emma
07-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I'll answer the little questionaire later but thought you may like to see this:

The Doctor's latest enemy - Andy Stone played by Alan Ruscoe - will appear in Doctor Who, The Waters Of Mars. The episode is the second of four specials being screened on BBC One this year.

S.D.
07-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Thank you very much! I haven't been keeping up with things of late, having been busy, and I had not seen this. Looks exciting.

Emma
07-10-2009, 07:42 AM
I just saw it as a "Big Picture" on the Beeb's entertainment news page and thought you'd like it.

I've been watching Torchwood this week so am kinda in that mood for some Who. Still holding reservations about the new guy though - seems too young imo.

S.D.
07-10-2009, 07:55 AM
I've not had the opportunity to watch any of the recent Torchwood, which is a shame, are they enjoyable?

The most recent new stuff I enjoyed was the last special of course, and seeing The Brigadier in The Sarah Jane Adventures, which really was fucking awesome. I rated that series finale infinitely higher than the previous one for Doctor Who.

Emma
07-10-2009, 08:04 AM
If you can watch Torchwood on BBC iPlayer - DO! It wanes a little at then end of wednesday BUT is still good, and then yesterday - hankies out!

I don't get a chance to watch SJ, though the ones I have seen were good - and we'll have to differ on last season's Who. Tate did not warm to me straight away BUT she developed and imo, the last few episodes were brilliant and sad, especially when all she had achieved were wiped away to nothing.

Emma
07-10-2009, 08:33 AM
More details about the new DW here:

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/theg ... .html#more (http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2009/07/details-revealed-for-doctor-wh.html#more)

Details revealed for Doctor Who: The Waters Of Mars
By David Bentley on Jul 9, 09 02:00 PM

DAVID TENNANT returns to his Time Lord role in The Waters Of Mars, the second of four Doctor Who specials being screened on BBC One this year.

Announcing its autumn season, the BBC confirmed Tennant would be joined by "his cleverest and most strong-minded companion yet", Adelaide, played by acclaimed British actress Lindsay Duncan.

In the storyline for the special, Adelaide is head of the Mars Base and doesn't take kindly to an uninvited appearance by The Doctor.

Doctor Who Waters of Mars2.jpgPeter O'Brien, star of Neighbours, Flying Doctors and Casualty, guest stars as Ed, Adelaide's second in command.

The Waters Of Mars is written by Russell T Davies and Phil Ford and is directed by Graeme Harper.

Two more specials will follow, the second featuring Tennant's Time Lord dying and regenerating into 11th Doctor Matt Smith.

Lindsay Duncan said earlier: "I'm thrilled to be involved in Doctor Who. I've never done anything like this before and I'm really looking forward to working with David Tennant and the Doctor Who team."

The 58-year-old actress played former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher in the TV drama Margaret earlier this year. She also appears in next year's big-screen Alice in Wonderland film directed by Tim Burton, in which she plays Alice's mother Helen Kingsley.

The top picture shows David Tennant and Lindsay Duncan in a scene from The Waters of Mars. Above right is an image from the episode showing Alan Ruscoe as Andy Stone.

S.D.
07-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Just watched Paul McGann's film for something like the fortieth time in my life.

Seven
07-11-2009, 05:57 AM
I haven't even seen what the new doctor looks like so I am going to have to check him out. They have chosen well so far so I hope he is good. There were a couple of bad ones in the past, I didn't like Sylvester McCoy and I never liked Peter Davidson either although he does seem popular with some people.

Ripper
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Which is your favourite Doctor?: Paul McGann, simply to him being the first Doctor I ever saw when I was 7 years old.

Favourite companion?: Sarah Jane Smith, for the hotness.

Favourite televised story?: Claws of Axos

Favourite other format story? (If applicable): The Chimes of Midnight (8th Doctor Audio Play)

What is it you like about Doctor Who?: The backstory with all the Time Lord culture and such and also how stories range from gradiose space operas to small scale things.

Dronepool
07-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not a fan of this (never gave it a chance) but I came across this article and wanted to post it for you guys.

Tony Lee on the Doctor Who Ongoing Series

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/070910-DoctorWho.html

Procrastinator
07-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Which is your favourite Doctor?: I haven't seen all of them YET!, so I say Tennant for now. Scottish hotness...

Favourite companion?: Again, due to my limited judjement, Billy Piper. Freema follows.

Favourite televised story?:Even if I try to make up my mind, I wouldn't be able to pick just one.

What is it you like about Doctor Who?: The whole idea of it. I often wish it was real and sometimes dream of being part of it.

Mar.
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Some news for the new Doctor Who.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 78182.html (http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/37378182.html)

Procrastinator
07-23-2009, 11:59 PM
^ Is it just me, or that actually was a new TARDIS in the photos?

S.D.
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
You see, now this is how you tell if S.D. has had a busy fucking week, by whether or not a bombshell like this went completely over my head, which it did. Also, if it were possible for words typed into a keyboard to emulate the process of a fast, furious masturbation session in which I climax by exploding warm strands of ectoplasmic semen all over these new pictures, then that is precisely what I would be doing at present.

These images look fucking fantastic, I absolutely love the clothes The Doctor is wearing, he looks incredibly eccentric and entirely other, which is what has always drawn me to the character predominantly. I know the way he looks isn't necessarily defined by eccentricity, or clothes from a bygone era, but just for me personally, it has been an aspect sorely missed, and this jolly, almost quasi-50s school teacher visage is excellent, and I like that the clothes worn by Karen Gillan are reminscent of some of Polly's outfits. She also looks absolutely beautiful, I have a real soft spot for English Rose (no, not that one) looking girls, and alongside Smith's more antiquated looks, it suits the aesthetic perfectly.

And yes, curiously, the TARDIS appears to have been given a re-design of sorts. The dimensions of the exterior look to be as bulky as usual, but the windows have been given glass of a darker shade, with the white borders returning, and the St John's Ambulance (John Smith...?) symbol that featured on the original TARDIS in An Unearthly Child appears to have been resurrected. My theory is, which is pretty conclusive with how the TARDIS has looked over the years, is that it is actually getting progressively younger looking (not too dissimilar from The Doctor himself, in some respects).

CaptainSneer
08-11-2009, 04:29 PM
i fucking love the theme song of this show, it was probably the first use of moog/keyboard on television, ever. it and kicks ass. i'm sure the show itself was bad ass for its time, although i don't really care for the episodes themselves.

S.D.
09-15-2009, 03:00 AM
I've been busy, but had the time to read a Paul Magyrs Tenth Doctor and Martha novel called Sick Building during all the periods of waiting around I had to endure last week. It was a rather well written little story, I'd recommend it.

Also, I don't believe in credibility...

So I'm going to show you the 1000s of pounds worth of Doctor Who paraphernalia I have sat in my house. Click the thumbnail. All will be understood if anyone wants to point and laugh.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/winfalcon/Personal%20Pictures/th_DSCI0057.jpg (http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16/winfalcon/Personal%20Pictures/?action=view&current=DSCI0057.jpg)

Procrastinator
09-15-2009, 12:12 PM
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/feb2009/9/9/Image_3_for_Dr_Who_Behind_the_Scenes_gallery_65891 2471.jpg

Method Man
09-16-2009, 02:22 AM
All will be understood if anyone wants to point and laugh.

http://www.jlh-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

S.D.
11-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't care if no one else does! The Waters Of Mars is screening tomorrow night, at 7PM GMT, and as the first of the final three stories David Tennant will feature in, I am sad, I think his Doctor is brillant as the rest. Please come and share thoughts/opinions et cetera when you see the episode if you do, I'll just feel like the h0m0 ranger if not.

Also, I purchased four Doctor Who DVDs today! I was expecting to get about two for ten pounds, but three were 3 each, and one at 5, so I have those now! Also, handofsutekh reminded me that The Chase is being released soon, so I have that to look forward to. Dumbass Dalek for the win (nerd joke, you'll literally only get it if you're familiar with the story itself).

:/

Anyway, roll on tomorrow night, there will be a nice congregation in my house to watch the episode.

Seven
11-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I am very sad about David Tennant not being the Doctor any more cos he is completely brilliant. I shall miss him and I hope the new one isn't too bad.

My favourite Dalek of all time is the gay German dalek....I lol every single time I hear it. It is when Martha goes to Germany with the key and you can hear them rounding up the population.

S.D.
11-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I am very sad about David Tennant not being the Doctor any more cos he is completely brilliant. I shall miss him and I hope the new one isn't too bad.

I think Matt Smith will do just fine and I think he'll surprise everyone. The stills from his first outing suggest that he'll be an eclectic Doctor (as ever), but also unique in his youth. He's still only 27, which at four years older than myself only, means that he has both longevity and a malleable talent to bring to the part, though observing him in other roles, I don't think he'll have difficultly in making the role his own.

My favourite Dalek of all time is the gay German dalek....I lol every single time I hear it. It is when Martha goes to Germany with the key and you can hear them rounding up the population.That scene (much like Julian Bleach's fantastic work as Davros) is one of the only parts of Journey's End that I actually think is worthwhile. I can tell it's obviously supposed to directly reference Nazi history, much like Genesis did (and to be fair, most Dalek stories), but it is a rather memorable segment in an otherwise poorly written episode.

Emma
11-15-2009, 03:41 AM
I still don't know what to think on the new Doctor coming - I will reserve judgment till then, but I am so very much looking forward to The Waters Of Mars tonight and the other last episodes featuring Tennent.

Doctor Who under Davies has not always faired well, but I think he is responsible for bringing great love back to a British TV character, bringing depth, emotion and breaking free of the camp which had started to push into the DW series back in the day - Sly McCoy etc.

The casting has been wonderful, and both Chris and David have been a joy to watch and of course this is helps by the wonderful story lines, the plots that have been the glue of a series until their climax - Bad Wolf springs to mind, and I think we are well placed for more exciting story telling for the new Doctor.

I can not wait.

And I'm excited because it looks like there WILL be a Torchwood season 4.

Seven
11-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I am very excited about the new series but I am also nervous. Not only have we lost the Doctor but we are losing the writer. It is the plots as much as anything that have made it so special. I think that 'Blink' and a few others will become true classics for fans as they were just fantastic in all respects.

That scene (much like Julian Bleach's fantastic work as Davros) is one of the only parts of Journey's End that I actually think is worthwhile. I can tell it's obviously supposed to directly reference Nazi history, much like Genesis did (and to be fair, most Dalek stories), but it is a rather memorable segment in an otherwise poorly written episode.

I enjoyed Journey's End for the most part but that scene is particularly memorable. It makes me lol but it also makes me shiver. The Daleks have always referenced the Nazis for me but never quite so obviously as those metallic German voices in the dark.

Procrastinator
11-17-2009, 04:45 AM
Don't know about the rest of you but I absolutely loved The Waters Of Mars and I'm very excited about the Christmas Special, knowing that The Master will appear in it.

Also, as I couldn't get enough of the show, this summer I decided to watch all of the Classic Doctor Who Series. So I download and watch them one after another. BUT, some of them appear to be just pictures and audio, the so-called reconstructions and others are incomplete. So I skip the reconstructions, for some reason I find myself unable to watch them, and I'm very sad for missing a great deal of stories, such as:

Marco Polo
Galaxy 4
Mission To The Unknown
The Mythmakers
The Daleks' Master Plan (!!!)
The Massacre

I'm currently at The Ark but there are many more reconstructed episodes I probably will never see. Also, I will miss William Hartnell, he's a great Doctor and I love his 'hmmn, hmmn', but I also can't wait to see The Second Doctor take place. Hopefully the episode with his first appearance won't be a reconstruction...

False Prophet
12-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I love the Doctor Who series, only really seen the new ones though. That being said, Tennant is my favorite. Billy Piper is my favorite companion, followed by sarah jane smith

I was wondering if someone (S.D.) could tell me, or point me in the direction of a place that could tell me, the order of the entire Dr. Who series. To be honest, everything up to the new series has me confused lol.

I couldn't really tell you my favorite televised series, or any really, hard to pick.

The series is just captivating, and imaginative. I love the writing as well, and how the keep the story line flowing and expanding, but explain everything and keep it all understandable. (mostly haha) I also have to say i love (and hate) the multitude of spin-offs and side stories that all tie in with the Doctor. I do hope for some more torchwood, though Jack and the Doctor make an entertaining team together (least with tennant, i really want to see what the new doctor is like).

S.D.
12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me, or point me in the direction of a place that could tell me, the order of the entire Dr. Who series.

Unfortunately, the best resource I ever encountered that wouldn't entirely bombard the uninitiated was closed down earlier this year. Not for any bad reason, the people who owned the place just decided to move on, but Outpost Gallifrey was excellent, and had detailed though un-confusing synopses of every story from 1963 onwards.

Equally adequate, I would recommend Doctor Who Online:-

Doctor Who Online Episode Guide (http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/episodes/all.html)

That episode guide goes through each of the ten Doctors chronologically, and offers a nice simple story description of every adventure televised from An Unearthly Child onwards. I would offer a personal assessment of what the show's concept is since the beginning, but you'd be looking at some trademark novel posting going on, so I'll spare you that... ;)

Other than that, yes I also enjoyed Waters Of Mars for what it was, the story was paced well enough and the exploration of the Doctor's ego was interesting. As ever, Davies seems to have missed the point that drama is not synonymous with tragedy, but he likes his grizzle-fests, so at least this one was written competently. I will be looking forward also to seeing The Master return, he's always a horrible shit in all the best ways regardless of who's writing him in, you can't fuck with proper evil, even if the story isn't always top dollar.

Again, I do fear that it'll be the unbending pomposity of Davies' self-indulgence as a writer that sees David Tennant's Doctor end his tenure in a way that perhaps doesn't befit how amicable and popular he has made the role. Maybe I'll be surprised, but having just watched the most recently aired series through once more, and noting again that everyone who isn't Russell T. Davies actually does a rather good job of consolidating a simple yarn, part of Christmas will be me waiting out the fact that it's his last outing as Mr. Big.

False Prophet
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Equally adequate, I would recommend Doctor Who Online:-

Doctor Who Online Episode Guide (http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/episodes/all.html)

Thank you. I have some reading while im snowed in the next couple of days. And 'Waters of Mars' is on BBC America tomorrow, and laziness ensues.

ImNotJesus
12-27-2009, 09:19 PM
The Waters of Mars was a fine gem of writing, I loved every minute of it. David Tennant has always been able to bring a depth to the Doctor I think was often missing from earlier series.

My one problem would have to have been the rediculous amount of repetition (the flashes of newspaper articles and 'gong'ish noises) when introducing the characters.

Was also fun to see an Aussie there too!

Shangri-LIE
01-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Dr.Who sucks bull cocks. Dr. Feelgood is where it's at.

Procrastinator
01-05-2010, 01:55 AM
The End Of Time was sweet.

Goodbye, Scottish hotness... :'(

Seven
01-05-2010, 03:11 AM
I didn't want him to go!

What a superb 2 parter, loved it but...NOOOOO...they have replaced the Doctor with someone who looks about 12. This is going to be bad....

Procrastinator
01-05-2010, 03:40 AM
^ Naaw, don't be like that! After seeing just a short scene of Matt Smith, I already love his acting. This man is mad, I tell you!

Morphine
02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Joe(Joker) got me to watch Doctor Who (the new series at least) and after finishing Season 3, 4, and all the specials in about two weeks I feel exited like a loser :D.
I think Matt Smith will be a great doctor, he can't not be with the main writer being Steven Moffat!
SPOILERS:
The new TARDIS interior looks awesome in my opinion, and the return of characters like River Song and the Weeping Angels is exiting.

False Prophet
02-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Ugh, I hope this isn't the Doctor that River Song marries....I disliked every minute of Matt Smith so far...I just hope he doesn't try to be like a coked out Tenant.

S.D.
04-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Last night was, as expected, great fun! Fresh and new, and with a clearly distinguishable leap in directorial styles, this felt different and exciting.

There were some truly awe-inspiring, amazing stories during the Eccleston/Tennant eras, some of them amongst my favourites of all time, but I've made no secret of the fact that overall, I was displeased with some choices the former production team made. The departure of the tenth Doctor was, by and large, a mess, poorly scripted toss, and a shame to see David Tennant have to go along with such maudlin themes for his final story, his acting was superb in an otherwise empty tale. That story was actually enough for me not to even bother really discussing it in this topic, or with other fans, I think it was best just with a line drawn under it, it felt rushed, convoluted and juvenile in comparison with some of the stories we've seen prior.

I won't get into debates at this stage about various characters and their significance to the show's future as it stands, because I trust Steven Moffat as a writer and head-production manager, his history with Doctor Who and with television in general is one I have admired for a long time now, he's a clever man.
Same goes with Matt Smith, he's perfect for The Doctor, reservations anyone might be having seem inconsequential next to some of the fuss that has been kicked up over new Doctors entering the TARDIS in the past.
The tired, emotional end of the third Doctor's tenure being picked up by the "zany", crash-bang-wallop pacing of the fourth's first story is a fairly good comparison (expect for the fact that Planet Of The Spiders is awesome, and The End Of Time was an utter pile of shit).
But last night was excellent, Amy is a character that needs expansion, but they've clearly gone for an angle closer to some of the show's past companions, she's supposed to be clever and sexy, and independent, which is true of some of the other recent choices to a degree, but not in the same way. I don't predict she's going to end up getting doe-eyed over the Doctor any time soon, which is good, because that approach is thoroughly boring. I know Donna wasn't that sort of companion, and I loved her time in the TARDIS, but as ever, Davies fucked up her final stories and potential entirely, I don't predict this happening with Amy either.

Some of the previewed episodes look great, I have entirely been avoiding knowing anything about it whatsoever, even straying away from the Doctor Who forums I frequent, not really reading up on anything at all, I wanted to be surprised. There is something decidedly... "huge" about the scale of these stories, I think the twee elements of The Eleventh Hour were deliberate, to make way for that, and I loved the Confidential comments about getting away from bloody London, thank fuck.
There were some similarities in parts of the story, Smith And Jones came to mind simply due to the hospital, and the prisoner being sought on Earth idea. Also, the village reminded me of The Android Invasion, and as was commented on another forum I use, the hospital being older looking was reminiscent of Spearhead From Space and The Doctor Dances. Obviously with Spearhead From Space being the third Doctor's (my favourite) first story, there was an homage feel there, and also due to the stealing clothes, both the third and eighth (my other favourite!) Doctor's well-known images were created with them both taking other people's clothes from a hospital! So I was happy. Plus a nice little flashback of all the Doctors was excellent as well, nothing like some canon-confirmation to piss off the continuity & canon haters.

Overall, just a great hour, I think we're in for a real treat with this, there was almost too much to take in with those previews at the end, and fuck me does the new TARDIS look cool or what!? Fun times ahead I think, the adventure begins...

ImNotJesus
04-04-2010, 06:31 AM
I saw the first Matt Smith episode tonight. I loved it, for the most part, although the story line was a tad clich'e.

Also, am I the only one who hates (with a passion!) the new title-credits? The old ones were fine!

Seven
04-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Well, I have to say I really enjoyed the first episode. It was different and fresh for sure. The fish finger custard was a bit rubbish, my concern about Matt Smith taking over the role was that they might make it into a kids version of Dr Who fit only for CBBC. Generally it was great though. They went to great lengths to establish him as The Doctor with the final scenes and elements from older shows, I thought they were pushing that a bit. This was the first episode so they had to do all the introductions thing, I think it bodes well for the rest of the series. I like Amy and I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop her. I hate the new music and credits quite a lot.

I am currently watching the classic series from the start and am just about to start watching series 5. The thing that struck me is that despite terrible costumes and laughably bad sets, it was still superb. It is the imagination of the thing, the strength of the character and the plots. I hope they do not lose that in exchange for fancy effects. I'd forgotten how utterly rubbish the cybermen were when they first appeared! That episode is a true classic. They really trashed so many of the older episodes but at least we have the reconstructions.

I was surprised to see the 'Travel Dials' in one of the very early episodes...is that the first time a teleport device was used on TV?

Emma
04-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Better than I thought although I have to agree the titles are awful - and the new music - can we not fiddle with something that didn't need fixing!

Not a mind blowing episode but Smith is alright and I think I am pleased so far and time will tell as we go forward. Amy was good - feisty and not as I thought - I was worried about her being too young.

I liked all the upcoming previews - really am looking forward to what this season will bring. And as S.D. says, Moffat is a great writer, his input has been brilliant - lets hope this continues.

ImNotJesus
05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Anybody notice the catastrophic continuity errors in the latest two-parter from Doctor Who?

I'm refering to the 'The Time Of Angels' and 'Flesh and Stone' in regards to the angels' defence mechanisms:

It is stated quite clearly (In both 'Blink' and 'The Time Of Angels') that the Angels are 'quantum-locked', meaning they simply cease to exist when observed. This basic rule is flaunted and even broken numerous times in the latest two episodes quite rediculously...

*The Angels in 'Blink' are trapped into an eternity of non-existance by being tricked (through the dissapearing Tardis) into facing each other. In the new two-parter, they seem to have no trouble staring or looking at each other. They constantly move about together and in the final scene they're all in one big huddled group, yet still advancing somehow.

*The idea that Amy can somehow 'pretend' to see to bypass the angels brings up 2 very important questions:

- If they can move at lightening fast speed between flashes of light and single blinks, how is it that they are fooled by someone pretending (incredibly poorly) to be able to see? How can they not distinguish between open and closed eyes at all suddenly?

- The very notion that they freeze when Amy appears, though she has her eyes closed, indicates that they are not 'quantum locked', nor do they 'cease to exist' when being seen...it is somehow simply an instinct they have...a choice to freeze. THEN we see them turning around cautiously and slowly to check to see if Amy really is blind, therefore taking the 'risk' of being seen, but as they are supposed to 'not exist' when seen, the very fact that they CAN move indicates they are not seen (as per the rules set out by previous episodes!!!).

This entire two-part episode was terrible to me. How could Stephen Moffat completely ignore/forget the canon HE HIMSELF set up? River Song is seeming more and more like an uppity, self-important bitch than the kind-hearted, intelligent woman we met in 'Silence in the Library'.

By the very second episode, Amy had made some huge emotional leap towards the doctor, which was a relationship that took an entire series or two to develop with Rose.

It's all so dissapointing to me at the moment...I'm hoping it gets better, because Matt Smith is a damn fine Doctor.

Seven
05-17-2010, 01:21 AM
I have to agree that they really fucked up the Angels in the second part. I thought the first part was superb and was really looking forward to part two but it was a disappointment in many ways. River Song is also not coming across well now. Oh dear....

S.D.
05-17-2010, 01:49 AM
The Angels in 'Blink' are trapped into an eternity of non-existance by being tricked (through the dissapearing Tardis) into facing each other. In the new two-parter, they seem to have no trouble staring or looking at each other.

It is stated quite clearly in the first half of Time Of The Angels that the army encountered in the catacombs are not the same variety as those in Blink, who were referred to as "Scavengers". That, to me, implies that they are almost of a different breed to the Angel Army, perhaps a little like the evolutionary difference between man and ape. It would have been far easier to defeat or deter the Blink Angels, as they were nothing close to as powerful or as cunning as those seen in the recent story.
The recent Angels also seem to have more free-will, or perhaps "initiative" is a better word. The Blink Angels are cunning, yes, I'm not saying they're stupid or anything, but they are clearly less advanced than a group of Angels who would knowingly kill or destroy simply because they find it amusing, another directive mentioned in the story.
Not only that, but (and I will refer this point again in a moment), it is not stated that the Angels in Blink are from the same time as those in this new story, how do we know what evolutionary abilities the passing of aeons might have afforded them? I mean, there is the common suggestion that future years of human evolution might award people the ability to communicate telepathically, perhaps the Angels made similar evolutionary advances and no longer fear their own gaze?

If they can move at lightening fast speed between flashes of light and single blinks, how is it that they are fooled by someone pretending (incredibly poorly) to be able to see? How can they not distinguish between open and closed eyes at all suddenly?I think the instruction to "Walk like you can see" from The Doctor was less about negating the movements of the Angels, and more about giving Amy the faith and confidence required to make her way back to the ship.

Incidentally (and this may be explored later in the series), it has been suggested very prudently by some fans commenting online, that the (incredibly beautiful) sequence where The Doctor reassures Amy and kisses her forehead is not the same Doctor from moments before when he walks off with River and the Bishop. He is The Doctor, but from a separate point in time. It was in fact something that could have been misinterpreted as a continuity error that established this, as The Doctor is still wearing his jacket in the short sequence, whereas the version of him that departed just before is still missing it due to the Angels having torn it from him in the ship.

River Song is seeming more and more like an uppity, self-important bitch than the kind-hearted, intelligent woman we met in 'Silence in the Library'. That is because she hasn't become the kind-hearted, intelligent woman from Silence In The Library yet... I hate to seem like pointing out the obvious, but that is surely one of the most overtly established parts of her appearance in this story? She is a prisoner, still under the title "doctor", not a Professor yet, and clearly leading a very different life to the one she later has. If you consider her to be bitchy or uppity, then surely by grace of experience she's a changed woman later in life? And that, to me, reflects The Doctor pretty accurately also. He started his life as an antagonistic, difficult, evasive man who became terribly obstinate in his advancing years of a first incarnation, and later, although retaining some of those characteristics, mellowed considerably.
Besides that, we know next to nothing about River Song apart from her name, dialogue explaining her appearances in two stories, the fact that she is a time traveller, and that she has some sort of relationship with The Doctor. That's ambiguous to say the least, I'm not about to start assessing her character like I would someone with a more linear, straightforward introduction.

By the very second episode, Amy had made some huge emotional leap towards the doctor, which was a relationship that took an entire series or two to develop with Rose. Well, Rose only knew The Doctor for about four years, and travelled with him for approximately only two of those years. Amy Pond has known The Doctor since she was a little girl...
If you discovered at the age of 22 or so that the "Imaginary Friend" you made when you were a child whose existence you so adamantly claimed to be true, and were told was rubbish by everyone who knows you, was in fact real, then I think you'd probably have a pretty close emotional bond with that person in a short space of time, even on a basis of relief that you're not mad as a hatter.
Besides, I've never been in the habit of "comparing" companion stories, Rose Tyler hasn't even met the Eleventh Doctor, and the handling of her emotional attachment to the Tenth was turned into a ham-fisted mess by someone who showed no tact or consistency in his writing at times. With that in mind, a few explainable continuity questions and an about-turn on all the needless strands created under Davies' tenure are forgiveable in my eyes, it's been an amazing series thus far with Smith and Moffat, and I have enjoyed it immensely.

I only got to see it last night, but Amy's Choice I thought to be one of the best at this stage also, a really well-executed story, reminiscent in some places of Human Nature, but in general an original, creepy, well-paced fare with some great dialogue between The Doctor and The Dream Lord. It also reminded me of The Mind Robber in a lot of ways, which configures with Smith's professed love for Patrick Troughton's Doctor.
I might be biased as a fan of over a decade, but a new Doctor, new production team and new stories already has me immeasurably impressed in comparison with areas of the last. That's a slight shame as I feel the Tenth was sold on some pretty shoddy stories at times, but I also think a change in direction for the Eleventh means we can look back on the atmosphere of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors and see it as something clearly different. I think all The Doctor's incarnations have been great, it's always a grand actor who takes on the role, and similarly talented folk who join him in the TARDIS, it's only the writers who I sometimes take issue with.

Emma
05-17-2010, 02:13 AM
The thing I am looking forward to with the River Song element of the story is that she was jailed for killing a good man, and the Bishop I believe indicates it could be the Doctor she killed. After all, this may be a point in Rivers Life before she had a relationship more intimate with the Doctor but as she is a Time Traveller and has already met the Doctor in many guises - her book at this point still denotes that - it is possible as part of her time travelling she makes amends for what she did in the future and develops a relationship with the man she ends up killing or killed.

Very complicating I know but I hope you see the gist of what I am saying. There are some interesting comments on Digital Spy and other online communities that also ask this question. And the question is, If the good man she has been imprisoned for killing was the Doctor, did she murder him or did he ask her? And as she goes on, through her travels, does she try to make amends and ends up falling in love with the Doctor - the man with the younger face but older eyes that she spoke about during Tennants Doctor.

Time travel makes this very complicated - the happened already happening before the happened now and the soon to be.

There's some interesting timeline stuff on this Doctor Who Fan Wiki: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/River_Song#River_Song.27s_Timeline

ImNotJesus
05-17-2010, 03:53 AM
S.D, you've made some damn fine points.

It still does not however explain WHY they freeze around a blind Amy or WHY it makes sense for them to slowly 'realise' she cannot see. The entire episode they are seen (lol, get it?) making lightning fast movements between near instantaneous flashes of light or single split-second eye blinks. Why then, do they slowly move their heads to 'check' on Amy? Why indeed, do they freeze at all?

You've put me at ease for many of my gripes, just not this one.

I also really can't agree with you on the nature of this series. Russel T. Davies was a sensationalist at times but he never treated Doctor Who like it was a show to be taken absolutely seriously. I feel the new directing/writing/producing staff have sacrificed a lot of the good fun and self-awareness of the series for flashier new effects and concepts, characters and storylines made for the sole purpose of attracting a younger, more 'hip' audience.

ImNotJesus
05-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Just watched Vampires in Venice.

Interesting little episode, enjoyed it far more than the previous two! Hate to be a nit-picky douche, but if whats-her-name was protected by a 'perception filter', meaning only the brainwaves of someone observing her were altered...how and why does she remove items of clothing before her final plunge into the water? I'm finding some pretty awful continuity errors in this series...

Now don't get me wrong, its still my current favourite show...but I guess I miss the 'feel' of the previous series. Please don't ask me to explain because it is something I can't.

Though I have realised something: The development of a relationship between the Doctor and Amy just isn't there...nor is their individual character exploration. It's like we're just expected to love them right off the cuff.

I apologise for my griping.

Seven
05-24-2010, 01:59 AM
This series is very up and down for me. I quite enjoyed Vampires in Venice but thought Amy's Choice was pretty awful. I am still niggled by the same things as ImNotJesus with the Angels. The whole idea of 'quantum locking' from Blink was that they were stone or they were full on attacking. It is the exact opposite mechanism to the collapse of the waveform in quantum physics upon which the concept is based. There is no hesitancy involved, no 'am I stone or is it safe to attack', so the hesitant turning of the head towards Amy is silly to me.

I think S.D. made some good points about River, we are seeing her, and their relationship, out of sequence. That is confusing but interesting.

ImNotJesus
05-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Really? I fucking loved Amy's choice. There were some sappy, soapy moments and a bit of a cliche'd ending, but otherwise I reckon its one of the best so far! I like the episodes where The Doctor judges and questions himself.

I'm also now really intrigued about this whole 'double doctor' concept in Flesh and Stone.

Joker
06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
The Pandorica Opens.

Speechless. Absolutely speechless. Previously untold levels of awesome.

Edit: Just found out that Neil Gaiman will be writing an episode for series six. =D

S.D.
10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't know if any of you other Who fans were aware it was on or tuned in, but the two-part story Death Of The Doctor just finished airing as part of The Sarah Jane Adventures earlier this evening, and having watched both parts I thought it was really good! It was penned by Russell T. Davies as a guest writer now he's got his grubby mitts off of Doctor Who, but even so I didn't mind his hand in this, and to be honest his writing style suits children's television far more than it does primetime, but that's a separate issue.

I was apprehensive because this story was not only Davies' first stab at writing for the Eleventh Doctor, but also marked the monumental (and batty) return of my all-time favourite companion (and schoolboy crush!), Josephine Grant! So I was pleased to see her character happy and definitely un-marred by Davies' writing style, he was respectful to Jo's history, the dialogue wasn't too twee, and Katy Manning was as awesome as ever in the role. She worked excellently alongside Sarah Jane (which I hope means re-appearances can be worked out in future), and given that Matt Smith's Doctor is definitely of the same class ilk as my favourite (Jon Pertwee's Third), I can't think of a better time for them all to meet up.
There were some clear occurrences where you could tell Davies was still trying to include dialogue that means he can leave a mark on Who-Universe history; revelations about the Doctor being able to change his regenerations 507 (!) times, and having the ability to look however he chooses were notable. As ever, these sorts of comments are always fun because they'll set the fanboys' teeth on edge, and it's usually just The Doctor spouting bollocks anyway.
In the same vein however, there was a really nice scene where past companions were given updated character histories, with favourites like Ian and Barbara, Tegan Jovanka, and Ben and Polly mentioned. I loved the weird line about Ian and Barbara being professors, but apparently not having aged since the '60s... Some residual time-energy worn off perhaps? Still, all in good fun.

Now I'm holding out for a UNIT family reunion, they're all converging around The Sarah Jane Adventures, it'll happen at some point!

S.D.
11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I absolutely met Colin Baker - the sixth actor to portray The Doctor - tonight! What a lovely and talented man, this was a long-overdue experience for me, I have never met a Doctor before!
Fantastic night watching him portray Inspector Morse on the live stage, and thank you to Colin for signing The Two Doctors and Attack Of The Cybermen (VHS because I've had it for a decade!) for me! I probably appeared like a gibbering geek to him, but that's okay, I pretty much am. A happy event nonetheless, I will celebrate by catching up on the second half of Vengeance On Varos. So fucking awesome, seriously.

Dronepool
11-22-2010, 07:42 PM
I not a fan (because I never got a chance to watch this show) but I figure you guys will get this joke.

http://i56.tinypic.com/25sy991.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/qqer86.jpg

Procrastinator
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
When will the new series start? I need to know! 'Coming soon' is not good enough!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out it starts on Easter. I've never looked forward to this day before! :)

Emma
04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Very much can not wait for the new series to start and the fact that Alex Kingston is coming back as River Song is brilliant - she has to be one of the best characters created for Doctor Who.

Saw this article on the BBC website for anyone interested. There's a video on the actual story too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12969897

Doctor Who boss says season start is 'darkest yet'
By Tim Masters Entertainment correspondent, BBC News

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51994000/jpg/_51994200_jex_1008491_de29-1.jpg

Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat has said the new season of the sci-fi show kicks off in a darker style than usual.
Launching the first two episodes at London's Olympia, Moffat pleaded with journalists to keep the show's secrets under wraps.

The opener sees Matt Smith's Doctor reunited with Karen Gillan's Amy Pond, Arthur Darvill's Rory and Alex Kingston's River Song in 1960s America.

The quartet team up with President Nixon to fight a new alien threat.

The aliens - partly inspired by Edvard Munch's The Scream - are introduced in the two opening episodes, The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon.

The programmes, which feature scenes shot in the Utah desert last year, will be shown on BBC One later this month.
"To be honest, it's darker than any other opener of a season," said Moffat, who wrote both episodes.
"We've been pretty dark before in Doctor Who. But we're coming in from the dark side just because we haven't done it that way before."

Yet Moffat, who took over as lead writer and executive producer, said he did not think the shows were too scary for children.

"First of all, you make Doctor Who frightening to appeal to children. It's the children who find it frightening, not the adults.
"Children absolutely rank Doctor Who stories in order of frightening-ness - that's what it's about.

"You put the jokes in and the silly bits in for the adults and you put the scares in for the kids. I've got two kids of my own and I'd never do anything I didn't think was acceptable for them.

"Having said that, one of them does tend to sleep on our bedroom floor."

Future episodes will feature such guest stars as model Lily Cole, Downton Abbey's Hugh Bonneville as a pirate and ex-Coronation Street actress Suranne Jones.

The latter will appear in a story called The Doctor's Wife, written by fantasy author Neil Gaiman.

'Tease, don't tell'

For the first time this year's season is being split in two. The first seven episodes will air from 23 April, with the final block of six broadcast in the autumn.

"If you run for 13 weeks you can start to feel as though you can miss one episode and it'll be okay," Moffat said.
"We don't want that feeling. We stop for a few weeks and let you all worry about what's happening and then come back."

Moffat went on to ask journalists to avoid spoilers, saying it would be "a lot more fun for the kids" if nothing was given away. "Tease them but don't tell them," he pleaded.

And asked about plans for Doctor Who's 50th anniversary in 2013, he would only say: "Yes, there are thoughts..."

S.D.
04-16-2011, 05:37 AM
I just found out it starts on Easter. I've never looked forward to this day before! :)
Indeed, miserable Christian festivals should be replaced by Doctor Who episodes to make them happy.

Very much can not wait for the new series to start and the fact that Alex Kingston is coming back as River Song is brilliant - she has to be one of the best characters created for Doctor Who.
I've never been completely bowled over by the character, but I agree in the sense that she's not another of the Davies era girls fawning all over The Doctor and generally being a bit of a washout. I thought Martha Jones was turned into a terribly weak and predictable character, which is a shame as she started off well. Rose Tyler and the whole accompanying Tyler clan thing ran out of steam somewhere in the middle of Tennant's first series, after that it was tedious and lazy. Donna was cool, but again, another wasted companion given how her story ended up.
Although she's not strictly a companion, as a recurring character River Song is interesting and a good foil for some of The Doctor's self-indulgence.

Anyway, the bits mentioned in the interview sound good, especially the split between two halves of the series, it just means it lasts later into the year and bridges the gap before Christmas better. I hope Moffat's team decide to keep it like this from now on, I think the series under his care needs its own identity and a unique episode structure's a good way to do that.
I'll reserve judgement on what Steven Moffat considers "dark", because it sometimes becomes one of those words like "drama" that Davies was all-too-fond of using to describe miserable soap bullshit. If I want to see people screaming at each other and crying, I will watch Eastenders, Doctor Who is meant to be uplifting. Nonetheless, "dark" in Moffat's world has so far meant stories like Blink, Amy's Choice, parts of The Time Of Angels/Flesh & Stone and The Lodger, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed, so it doesn't have to suggest something negative. We will see, the previews looked like a lot of fun, and I have heard some potentially awesome rumours of late...

I enjoyed A Christmas Carol in December, the neo-gothic set design and retro space shuttle interior were lovely, very well done, and the story was sad, but not depressing. Michael Gambon was fierce as ever, and generally the rapport between Matt Smith and other characters was firm and fluid, he's most definitely The Doctor.
Space and Time (har har) were really fun as well, obviously the saucy bits about Amy's skirt are going to get people's attention, but I liked the fact that Moffat never lost sight of the Science Fiction, even in such a short pair (tee-hee) of episodes. The whole TARDIS inside a TARDIS was simple, effective, and genuinely worrying to think about, when The Doctor explains they can never get out if one is inside the other.

So there we go, I'm all fired up for next week, having anything Who-related back on screen is always a rush for me. I mostly regress to being a seven-year-old S.D. and get all settled in with the family to see what The Doctor is up to. Looking forward to it!
Oh, and I also caught up with an older story from The Sarah Jane Adventures I'd not yet seen this week; Eye Of The Gorgon, it was great!

Angeles
04-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Thought this might interest some of you fellow PMs;

Doctor Who: Ranking the Doctors (http://au.tv.ign.com/articles/116/1163501p1.html)

Apart from swapping the Ninth and Eleventh Doctors, I'd be inclined to agree here.

It's hard to separate best from favourite though, the Fourth Doctor is 'my Doctor' because Tom Baker played the character when I first started watching reruns in the 1980's, but there is something about the sense of anger and violence bubbling just under the surface of Christopher Ecclestone's portrayal of the Ninth Doctor that makes him my favourite incarnation.

S.D.
04-26-2011, 02:40 AM
Any sort of list like that is always going to be objective, and I generally disagree with it entirely. I also couldn't really compile a "Favourites" list of Doctors outside of the two who mean the most to me - the Third and Eighth.
The writer also seemingly overlooks the fact that despite having just one on-screen story, Paul McGann has starred as The Doctor in almost 70 audio adventures, and was characterised in another 70-odd BBC books after the film was made. That also makes him the Doctor with the most stories overall, and given his tenure was technically from 1996-2005, he's also the actor to have been in the role the longest.

I find it hard to compare and contrast outside of Pertwee and McGann, so whenever the question is raised I generally quote The Brigadier - "Splendid chaps, all of them".

Anyway, geek-attack aside, I thoroughly enjoyed The Impossible Astronaut Saturday evening. I think there's a tangible and definite shift in production style, value and attention to detail being taken since the Davies years. That's not to say the Eccleston/Tennant stories were poor or lacking production-wise, but it's deliciously clear the current team are making things look better than ever before, and I really like it.
I think this first episode was an interesting way to launch a series, it had the sort of feel you'd expect from a "finale", which pleases me because it suggests there won't be a predictable fanfare when it actually is the end of the series. I thought the Nixon actor was convincing, loved the sets, banter with River Song (and some of the explanatory dialogue between her and Rory) and generally found the story engaging. I look forward to Saturday immensely.

Currently watching Enemy Of The Bane in The Sarah Jane Adventures, which at the time of transmission far out-did the toss that was The Stolen Earth/Journey's End.

Dear departed intergalactic heroes.

http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/wp-images/sja/200/character-sarah-1.jpg http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/wp-images/sja/200/character-brigadier-2.jpg

Ripper
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
*Spoilers Ahoy*

Well, I've just finished watching the conclusion to the excellent 2 parter. I have to agree with S.D's previous comments about how much the show has advanced in writing and production in just 2 series. This episode was absolutely astounding though. For me, River Songs realisation that her first kiss with the Doctor would be her last was heartbreaking. The questions raised by the conclusion will also keep me on the edge of my seat until the series finale and Moffats bluffing us into thinking 'The Silence' concerned anything in the last series was genius. Although I'm not too sure about next weeks pirate themed episode, I'm more than optimistic about the future of my favorite programme.

Emma
05-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Just watched Episode Two. I agree with Ripper that the scene with the Doctor and River was terribly sad. As for the conclusion, as you say there are many questions. I have put these in spoiler tags fro anyone who has still to watch.

Who is the girl? Okay that is the obvious question but it presents more questions than answers. If we all remember a couple of seasons ago, the Doctor's daughter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor's_Daughter) was seen. Yes Jenny was generated on Messaline, but her DNA, was it simply just the Doctor - could she have been a generated fascimile, a clone based on someone who once was? The scene in this recent episode of the Dctor not being able to get a postive/negative look at Amy's pregnancy and then the little girl regenerating at the end make me wornder if this is the first appearance of Jenny. Probably off the line with that one but then when have we ever known Doctor Who to be straightforward with anything.

However with the River story where her life is going backward and her realisation that the Doctor is forgetting her completely and will do before long, makes me wonder if time is being rewritten and if River is the little girl and if she is a Time Lord. This question has been raised before. Some believe she is a Time Lord, some believe a Time Agent much like Captain Jack. In the end of the day no one really knows who she is, could it be her past has not yet been written - kind of like a Benjamin Button backwards life? Although of course this brings up weird incest ideas, because we have always believed River and the Doctor were romantically involved, possibly even married.

And then this brings up the question - if this is Amy's daughter - see the photos of Amy with baby, who is the baby daddy?

So many questions, so early into the season, so just opened this season up to make what could be a very very very exciting season.

S.D.
05-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Moffats bluffing us into thinking 'The Silence' concerned anything in the last series was genius.
Well, there was The Lodger from the last series, which given what we know about how the creatures make you forget them entails they were in fact part of that series, just not 'remembered'. But yes, "Silence will fall" wasn't relative to The Pandorica or that series' finale.

I actually had a content issue with Day Of The Moon; specifically the opening sequence where Rory and Amy are "shot". I'm not some Voice Of The Innocent by any stretch of the imagination, but unlike viewing schedules where viewer discretion is required, the Pre-Watershed time-slot is there for a reason, and I felt the notion of people being killed at close-range with man-made handguns and then loaded into bodybags (for what I can only assume was the unrealistic time-scale of a few days, given the logistics of where each character was "shot") was too graphic and stark for younger viewers.
Not only that, but Amy and Rory are young and vibrant characters (for the most part), and children are supposed to resonate and identify with them. Even with a resolution minutes later, seeing favourite characters murdered at a young age would have affected me as a child, so I can only assume the same for children today. 'Timey-Wimey' and magic get-out-clauses (that we don't actually get an explanation for) shouldn't really be a license for brutality. I felt slightly similar about The Doctor being shot the prior week. Of course violence is nothing new to Doctor Who, but there are ways and means of displaying it that don't require such graphic depictions, and I think this is something the production team should be wary of.

Anyway, the two-parter was interesting, but nowhere-near as clever as it thought it was. I liked how it all looked, and there were some genuinely intriguing aspects - the female character seen in the non-existent door hatch at the hopsice was good, as was the regenerating child at the end. I don't really get into the habit of predicting the outcome of elements like this, I prefer being surprised, but that anticipation of surprise will keep me satisfied until the series concludes.

I'm not being dismissive of anything, but Amy's phantom pregnancy, and the speculation/implication of whether the little girl is her daughter doesn't really interest me either. I'm all for intricacies and the like, it's just this particular aspect doesn't turn my head. Sadly (and this isn't necessarily Moffat's fault) having had The Doctor kissing just about every female to come his way since 2005 lessens the effect of River Song for me. I can easily take on board who she 'might' be, and the implications that has on The Doctor's personal life, etc., but Russell T. Davies' insistence on having every woman to go near The Doctor fancy him somehow (unconvincingly in most cases) has somewhat negated the character's impact. The banter between the two is often amusing though.
One thing I didn't get was The Doctor suddenly "liking" her gun-toting ways, it seems incongruous with how he normally feels. Similarly, he commented on how The Silurians were also inhabitants of Earth in the last series, and seemed to encourage pacifism towards them from humans, but didn't for The Silence, who were surely the same conceptually; long-term, "secret" Earth-dwellers?

I don't know if there is any agreement, or conflicting opinions, but there you have it - I enjoyed the story but didn't feel it was completely watertight.

S.D.
07-27-2011, 03:31 AM
There wasn't any reactions here about the mid-season finale, which is 'sort-of' understandable, I wasn't entirely sure whether I liked it myself. I'll spare another in-depth analysis of that episode except to say I hope there's some resolution to a lot of the things going on in there, and that I didn't dislike it as such, but found it a little over-crowded at some points.

Anyway, there is now a trailer that aired at Comic Con online for the second half of the series:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xkQkPo7KRU

Thoughts are reserved at present, I'm still uncertain whether they'll go too far into messing with established history or aspects of The Doctor's life, but the production value for these new episodes looks stunning, and I'm intrigued by several elements. I was under the impression that the inclusion of a Silence ship during The Lodger would mean a re-appearance from Craig, and I liked the character, so that's good.
There's been some furore over Let's Kill Hitler in fan circles, but I guess if you're going to portray figures like Churchill or Richard Nixon, it's only a bodycount matter as to who else is fair game.
The Alice's Adventures In Wonderland-esque landscape we see Amy walking through might relate to The Dream Lord, and there's the re-appearance of Kovarian, River Song, Cybermen, Amy's strange aging in one scene, more Silence, and the murky business of The Doctor being shot.

I'd hope the "Something has happened to Time" motif is a properly executed one, not just a buzz phrase, it could be interesting, I sense we might be in for another reset scenario though, I guess we have to wait and see.

Dellamore
08-05-2011, 05:27 AM
So i'm up to the tenth doctor.

DavidGlyn
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Cannot wait for the second-part of the current series. Always been a huge Doctor Who fan, for as long as I can remember I've spent my Saturday nights watching it.

iggy
08-28-2011, 03:19 PM
It's a shame there isn't more talk about that mid series finale, I quite enjoyed it. It was flawed, perhaps, but I think it was enjoyable overall.

If for nothing else, the interaction between River and The Doctor at the end just blew me away. It was adorable!

Emma
08-29-2011, 03:04 AM
^ River is easily one of my favourite characters and the new episode this weekend in the UK cemented that further - give River her own series, I'd watch!

S.D.
09-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Interestingly, contrary to the last couple of posts I found River Song's absence from Night Terrors to be one of the best things about it. Let's Kill Hitler was fun, not nearly as much of a mess as I've seen written about it, but despite how integral her appearance was to the story, she gets on my nerves a bit at the moment. I think it's possibly because (despite this being her entire role in the show) we already know what's going to happen to her. I'd say the best River story was easily Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead, and that's what grates a little these days, although there's been revelations about her since, the character has no real development to do.
Another element for me is that I really like The Doctor and Ponds as a travelling group, invariably when River turns up she spoils the dynamic a little, or the attention shifts to her somehow.

These two episodes have been good though, I vastly preferred Night Terrors, Matt Smith is very adept at the kindly old alien routine and it was played out well. They keep referring back to the Doctor's death-date in Utah, which when done on the TARDIS screen seems a little like the Amy pregnancy cliffhanger being repeated, but the fact The Doctor knows about it now does make me want to go back and analyse the behaviour of his older self in The Impossible Astronaut.

Next episode looks interesting as well, I'll be tuning in for that if I have time before work. Anyone else's thoughts thus far?

iggy
09-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Just purchased The King's Demons. Was suitably impressed.

Zsa Zsa
09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Are the DVDs of the 2005 and on series expensive over in the UK? Because in the US, they're $60-$80 bucks a piece. I really like the show, and I definitely want to collect it on DVD, but I can't see myself dropping $60 bucks for 1 season.

iggy
09-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Buy them used on Amazon.com!

I'm with you in that $80 for 12 episodes is fucking ridiculous, but If you're willing to buy them used you can get them for $15-$40 per season. Plus $3-$5 shipping of course.

It also appears they're all on sale for $50 right now.

Barbarella
09-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Saw this earlier and thought some of your Dr Who fans might be interested.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/bailey-doctor-xmas-edition-094110129.html

BILL BAILEY IN DOCTOR WHO XMAS EDITION
Bill Bailey has landed a role in the Doctor Who Christmas special.

The comic and sci-fi buff, who is a big fan of the show, is filming the hour-long edition in Cardiff.

Bill has used a routine about the Doctor Who theme music in his live show and fans have started an online petition to have him cast as the 12th incarnation of the Time Lord.

Also appearing in the Christmas show are Claire Skinner from Outnumbered, The Fast Show's Arabella Weir and Alexander Armstrong.

The plot sees a widow, played by Claire, and her two children evacuated to a house in Dorset during the Second World War, where The Doctor (Matt Smith) is caretaker.

Zsa Zsa
10-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Are the DVDs of the 2005 and on series expensive over in the UK? Because in the US, they're $60-$80 bucks a piece. I really like the show, and I definitely want to collect it on DVD, but I can't see myself dropping $60 bucks for 1 season.

Buy them used on Amazon.com!

I'm with you in that $80 for 12 episodes is fucking ridiculous, but If you're willing to buy them used you can get them for $15-$40 per season. Plus $3-$5 shipping of course.

It also appears they're all on sale for $50 right now.

eBay is my fucking hero. I've purchased the first three sets, the third of which I've not received yet, but the first two are now nestled safely on my DVD shelf. I also found the Complete Specials set for cheap, so all I'm missing of NuWho is the fourth and fifth series sets, and then the sixth comes out next month. [I'm in the US. I don't know if the whole of 6 is out overseas. But, my copy of the third series is Region 2, so I'm a little tickled about that. <3]

Dellamore
12-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Well i'm almost done watching the latest series.

Zsa Zsa
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I just finished the series, up until this year's Christmas special. 20 more days! <3

S.D.
12-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Saw this earlier and thought some of your Dr Who fans might be interested.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/bailey-doctor-xmas-edition-094110129.html

I saw the trailer for this the other day, I like Bill Bailey and the Narnia-esque twist to the story looks interesting. After the fucking shambles that was The Wedding Of River Song I will reserve judgement on whether the Christmas episode is worthwhile until after it airs. Moffat does stand-alone stories perfectly, I hope there's not too much continuity shoved into this one, it it just stays within the parameters of the hour like last Christmas then it could be great.

Well i'm almost done watching the latest series.

I just finished the series, up until this year's Christmas special. 20 more days! <3

The aforementioned travesty episode aside, share the love guys, what did you think?

My favourite episodes were The Doctor's Wife, Night Terrors, The God Complex and Closing Time. It wasn't as rich a series as Matt's first, and the River Song story line grew stale, uninteresting, and to be honest, shit.
I'll run with this slant they've got on The Doctor being anonymous again next year, but the finale was still a pile of wank, I really detested it, and I think it was pure shark-jumping territory I didn't expect to see from Moffat when he was announced as show runner. A real shame, but I still look forward to new stories and love Smith's Doctor when he's written properly.
Oh yeah, and although it was released after Let's Kill Hitler, Misfits did that storyline so much better in the fourth episode of the most recent series.

From past Doctors I've recently done some Tom Baker binges, namely The Key To Time arc, and a few miscellaneous Troughton and Tennant stories.

iggy
12-15-2011, 07:52 PM
So much hate! I actually enjoyed The Wedding Of River Song quite a bit, although I will admit the character has become quite boring. This years finest moment was easily The God Complex. I've noticed a trend of re introducing a different classic monster every series, and the nimon is stretching it a bit thin. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if next year's run features the Black/White Guardians.

S.D.
12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if next year's run features the Black/White Guardians.
I don't think they'd go for something that obscure unless it was as a throwaway reference. There's been plenty of one-liners referring to past characters or civilisations, but it's still only the big names that make proper re-appearances.
I absolutely disliked The Wedding Of River Song, I thought it was shoddy, poorly-paced, and I couldn't engage with the narrative at all. A shame really, the second half of this year's series had some great stories, but the ending (as seems to be the case persistently since Tennant's first series) was dire.

The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe was... I'm not sure really. As ever, the scenes with just Matt and a few lead characters was charming and witty, I love seeing him shine like that, and the story moved along at a satisfying enough pace. I'll probably see it again before the end of the week, but as a self-contained little Christmas story, it was harmless enough. There were numerous glaring historical inaccuracies in the way characters from the 1940s were speaking, I am not remotely convinced a father of two would say "What the hell was that?" in front of his wife in 1941, and Madge Arwell barely sounded like she was from the era at all during some scenes. The sweaty-palmed perverts on a Doctor Who forum I use (myself included) are currently conversing about how it's okay to fancy Lily Arwell, because surprisingly, the actress is nineteen, so that was a plus.
Jokes aside, it was fun, if a little forced towards the end with all the mummy/father dialogue.

Looking forward, I am not holding much hope for the comments about Amy and Rory (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16207688) leaving that Steven Moffat made this week. Why is it going to be heartbreaking? Why does it have to be heartbreaking? I'm sick of all these miserable exits, it's entirely possible that characters departing could be heartwarming as well, and not in the drippy, over-sentimentalised sense either, just something simple, and nice. I am sure there will be some decent standalone stories, but fuck all this over-arching emotional drivel, after seven years it's starting to get very dated indeed.

iggy
05-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Just bought The Five Doctors and Remembrance Of The Daleks collector's editions.

brian219
06-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Was the Christmas special any good? I missed it, but I might make the effort to download it.

S.D.
06-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Just bought The Five Doctors and Remembrance Of The Daleks collector's editions.
It's odd how amazingly shit some of The Five Doctors is, and yet it's still very enjoyable to watch. I like how it adds weight to Rassilon's character history, and seeing Troughton opposite Nicholas Courtney is a joy, it's a fun story, despite the flaws.

Anything extra worth having on Remembrance Of The Daleks? I have the original VHS and DVD releases, so I'm not that fussed about getting it again for the sake of it, but if there's anything really nifty on there I'd be tempted.

Was the Christmas special any good? I missed it, but I might make the effort to download it.
You can see what I thought of it a couple of posts above. It was passable, but nothing to write home about.

I'll be honest, Who has not been on the radar recently at all, probably not even since the last time I posted here in fact, although I've done a few throwaway stories and am screening a chronological selection of stories to my girlfriend when there's a chance, to showcase the charms of each Doctor.

brian219
06-11-2012, 04:10 PM
You can see what I thought of it a couple of posts above. It was passable, but nothing to write home about.

I'll be honest, Who has not been on the radar recently at all, probably not even since the last time I posted here in fact, although I've done a few throwaway stories and am screening a chronological selection of stories to my girlfriend when there's a chance, to showcase the charms of each Doctor.

Sorry about that. Didn't realize that was the special's title. The historical inaccuracies sound like a problem. Nothing will pull me out of a story faster than things like that.

I know what you mean about it being off the radar. Every few months I remember that the series even exists and check to make sure that series 7 hasn't started without me knowing.

iggy
06-14-2012, 04:14 PM
It's odd how amazingly shit some of The Five Doctors is, and yet it's still very enjoyable to watch. I like how it adds weight to Rassilon's character history, and seeing Troughton opposite Nicholas Courtney is a joy, it's a fun story, despite the flaws.

Anything extra worth having on Remembrance Of The Daleks? I have the original VHS and DVD releases, so I'm not that fussed about getting it again for the sake of it, but if there's anything really nifty on there I'd be tempted.

Well, I don't know if there's any difference besides packaging when it comes to international releases, but my original copy of Remembrance is pretty bare bones when it comes to features. Just the usual commentary and production notes. The collectors edition however is absolutely packed with specials. A 32 minute making of feature, extended/deleted scenes, several interviews with various cast members (mostly the extras), and a really spiffy 43 minute feature on Davros.

I think it's worth owning.

Marilyn_Manson666
01-25-2013, 05:23 AM
I adore Doctor Who!!! <3 <3 <3

Sans Agendum
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
One of the greatest of British Comedy series. Right up there with The Black Adder.

Emma
08-02-2013, 07:46 AM
For anyone interested the next Doctor will be revealed on BBC 1 (UK) live on Sunday night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23531724

"The new star of Doctor Who will be revealed in a special live programme on Sunday, the BBC has announced.

The half-hour show, presented by Zoe Ball, will feature an interview with the new lead, as well as 11th Doctor Matt Smith and executive producer Steven Moffat.

"The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who's taking over the Tardis," Moffat said.

"For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve."

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor, is on BBC One at 7pm on 4 August.

According to the official announcement, Ball "will unveil the 12th Doctor in the first ever interview in front of a live studio audience set against the backdrop of a swirling vortex, amongst Daleks and the Tardis".

iggy
08-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Peter Capaldi. Neat.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m12vgqavxb1r0owivo1_500.gif

Alterkaker66
08-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Damn it all! I am so far behind on episodes. -Probably because I'm to cheap to pay for anything more than Netflix.- Anyway, in case this hasn't already been covered, is it still the general opinion that the first incarnation of the Doctor you saw remains your favorite? I'm disgustingly partial to Tom Baker (Harry Sullivan is an imbecile!) but the revised series is just so much better....

kleiner352
08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Couldn't be happier with the choice for the 12th Doctor.

Excited for the 50th, and look forward to the send-off for Smith at the Christmas special! He's had one helluva run.

Emma
08-06-2013, 01:36 AM
I think it was a great choice for Peter Capaldi - though the media are just showing their ignorance with the whole "how can the man who played Malcolm Tucker be in a show aimed at children?" BECAUSE HE'S AN ACTOR YOU MUPPETS!!!!!

Interesting though as this is his third spell in the whole Whoverse - first in Series 4, Episode 2: "The Fires of Pompeii" and then of course in Torchwood (although not strictly in the Doctors radar at that point but still kinda in that same verse) as John Frobisher in "Children of Earth".

Had to laugh that only the Daily Mail are trying to spin some negative on this (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2384614/Doctor-Who-Fans-ageism-row-dub-Peter-Capaldi-old-play-Time-Lord.html) by claiming Doctor Who fans are in an "ageism" row saying Capaldi is too old! Seriously??? They pick some unnamed people on twitter and make a claim that all are saying that? Can that paper get any .... scratch that, it's a chance to dig at the BBC which they do for sport. EVERYONE I know, including younger and older Who fans, have ALL said this is a great choice.

kleiner352
08-06-2013, 07:27 AM
You see I'm thrilled it's an older actor in the role again -- almost all of classic Who was filled with actors that were slightly up there (or, in the case of the first Doctor, quite up there), and now that he's supposed to be this, what, 1200 year old man? I think it's suitable. They've even been dressing Matt Smith up like an old man, so it seems fitting that there's an actor that actually can play that part.

Also, Emma, his role in Children of Earth was fantastic! Knowing his performance in that alone has me really trusting in him as a pick.

spaceSuicide
03-04-2015, 10:50 PM
http://needcoffee.cachefly.net/needcoffee/uploads/2006/07/doctor-who-2005-series-1-dvd.jpg

S.D.
03-16-2015, 03:42 PM
From Eccleston's revived series, The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, and Father's Day are some of the best Doctor Who stories in the series' history.

I always come back to The Doctor when things get tough, and they've been really tough of late, so there's been a definite binge after a year or so where I'd only vaguely checked the most recent series. I started with the top-drawer, a nice long run of Jon Pertwee, mostly with Katy Manning and Roger Delgado as The Master. They've been my favourites since childhood, and remain so.
Then I did The Key To Time series, which has some great comic moments and some brilliant original stories. I think it was one of the last years where Baker was really relishing the role as well. I'd also forgotten how gorgeous Mary Tamm was.

In recent months (in no particular order), I've replaced my VHS copies of Delta And The Bannermen, Battlefield (amazing Brigadier action), Planet Of The Spiders, Attack Of The Cybermen, Day Of The Daleks, and also gotten about three boxed-sets with some favourite stories in. This very evening I'll also finish off a revisit of Matt Smith's first series, which I still think is so charming, and really reinvigorated the mood after Tennant left. The End Of Time is not a story I enjoy, but it does have some fantastic setpieces (being as nice as possible here), and a touching few farewells for David. So I got a copy of that in a set with Terror Of The Autons, it can't hurt to be completist.

They've been re-running the first Peter Capaldi series on BBC iPlayer, so I've gone through most of those again. Some great stories there, I really hope he's planning on keeping the role because he wants it, and won't just disappear when Steven Moffat does, this notion of showrunner is tedious, as is the idea of them 'owning' a particular Doctor.
I'll not rant, but I initially (and still) held the opinion that Dark Water and Death In Heaven had a fucking awful conclusion, and the Cybermen premise was miserable wank. However, Michelle Gomez makes an amazing Master/Missy. Happy to hear she'll be returning.

Loving that signature/avatar combination also spaceSuicide, I've been thinking about a Who-themed one for a while, might have to think something up for the next series run.

spaceSuicide
03-17-2015, 04:32 PM
From Eccleston's revived series, The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, and Father's Day are some of the best Doctor Who stories in the series' history.

I always come back to The Doctor when things get tough, and they've been really tough of late, so there's been a definite binge after a year or so where I'd only vaguely checked the most recent series. I started with the top-drawer, a nice long run of Jon Pertwee, mostly with Katy Manning and Roger Delgado as The Master. They've been my favourites since childhood, and remain so.
Then I did The Key To Time series, which has some great comic moments and some brilliant original stories. I think it was one of the last years where Baker was really relishing the role as well. I'd also forgotten how gorgeous Mary Tamm was.

In recent months (in no particular order), I've replaced my VHS copies of Delta And The Bannermen, Battlefield (amazing Brigadier action), Planet Of The Spiders, Attack Of The Cybermen, Day Of The Daleks, and also gotten about three boxed-sets with some favourite stories in. This very evening I'll also finish off a revisit of Matt Smith's first series, which I still think is so charming, and really reinvigorated the mood after Tennant left. The End Of Time is not a story I enjoy, but it does have some fantastic setpieces (being as nice as possible here), and a touching few farewells for David. So I got a copy of that in a set with Terror Of The Autons, it can't hurt to be completist.

They've been re-running the first Peter Capaldi series on BBC iPlayer, so I've gone through most of those again. Some great stories there, I really hope he's planning on keeping the role because he wants it, and won't just disappear when Steven Moffat does, this notion of showrunner is tedious, as is the idea of them 'owning' a particular Doctor.
I'll not rant, but I initially (and still) held the opinion that Dark Water and Death In Heaven had a fucking awful conclusion, and the Cybermen premise was miserable wank. However, Michelle Gomez makes an amazing Master/Missy. Happy to hear she'll be returning.

Loving that signature/avatar combination also spaceSuicide, I've been thinking about a Who-themed one for a while, might have to think something up for the next series run.

I LOVEEEEEEED Eccleston's Doctor, it's a shame he only got one season but alas backstage politics don't mix well with some things. The entire first series was well done, not a single story arc/episode was a throw away. Father's Day was the obvious and best episode to represent that time in the show's history. I am slightly inclined to say that Eccleston might by my Doctor, though I've only just begun on Tennant and have seen a ton of Matt Smith era episodes (also great).

I'm currently running the second series with the unmatchable David Tennant. Hence my avatar and signature. Just watched Tooth and Claw the other day, great tale that was. Looking forward to wasting a LONG time with Tennant's role as the Doctor. I have every Doctor Who release (including the 2009 Specials) minus the Third Series but I've been eying it on eBay at a good price. I need to snatch it up.

As for the latest, I hear mixed things. Capaldi seems like a good fit but the writing in the episodes are flat in some areas I hear. I caught some of Robot in Sherwood on BBC America the other day and was a bit surprised at the pacing and the odd resolution to the plot. I'm sure Calpaldi will fall into his own if he stays around. It's been awhile since an older Doctor.

I LOVE his intro credits, even the remixed theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmsldy5lbUw

Edit: Because why not? When I get into something I go harddddddd.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2uoo08j.jpg

spaceSuicide
09-18-2015, 02:50 PM
@S.D.

Speaking of above I am now caught up 100% to watch the premiere. This is Jenna Coleman/Clara's last season. She'll be leaving during this season as well. Why, who and when? Unknown for now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/2a2689a8-5c52-46af-8e69-2fad42c46da3

New season tomorrow night!

S.D.
09-22-2015, 03:24 AM
I've yet to see this new first episode, so I'll hopefully watch it tonight, as it's my day off. I'll be honest and admit that my interest isn't exactly at its peak, I'm not entirely behind what they've done with the show of late, but as a first love on television I will at least support it and hope to enjoy some of the content.

spaceSuicide
09-24-2015, 06:26 AM
I've yet to see this new first episode, so I'll hopefully watch it tonight, as it's my day off. I'll be honest and admit that my interest isn't exactly at its peak, I'm not entirely behind what they've done with the show of late, but as a first love on television I will at least support it and hope to enjoy some of the content.

Well...

I hope you like Davros. The entire season is focused on him, the Doctor and the Daleks. The entire mythos revisiting the Genesis of the Daleks along with each episode more or less being a two parter will be a deeper, darker watch this season, methinks.

FuckmanQ
09-25-2015, 02:54 AM
Watched the latest episode, pretty good start. I did not enjoy Series 8 much at all, only liked the Flatline episode. I still have problems with how they handle companions nowadays which started with Amy Pond and also a bit of the end of Rose's story arc. It's a bit too romanticized in my opinion. As new Doctors go though, Peter could end up being a new favorite really dig his demeanor I just wish Moffat would stop spearheading everything and pass the torch to someone new. Anyways, looking forward to the rest of Series 9.

S.D.
02-25-2016, 05:49 AM
Peter could end up being a new favorite really dig his demeanor I just wish Moffat would stop spearheading everything and pass the torch to someone new.

With the handover from Moffat to Chibnall confirmed for next year, it's now been heavily implied this will coincide with Peter's exit, which is of course bollocks. I've been saying for years now that I hate the concept of a showrunner, and in turn, a showrunner 'owning' any specific Doctor. The character was created a long time ago regardless of the regeneration concept, The Doctor doesn't 'belong' to Moffat, and I could easily see Capaldi developing the role over another three or four years.

That's not how the BBC like to make money, though. Sadly, despite some of the fantastic writing and production that goes into Doctor Who, money is still the corporation's priority.

Anyway, recent purchases this week have included The Ice Warriors DVD, as I only had it on VHS before. I also picked up an inexpensive copy of The Next Doctor, and have been re-watching the third series with Freema and David. It might well be one of the best and most coherent of the modern series' entire run.

FuckmanQ
02-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Totally agree with your sentiments, Capaldi was a great choice to play a Doctor and whenever Moffat does leave I'd hate to see Capaldi go. The showrunner shouldn't be the puppet master it should be the Doctor in the forefront and honestly I liked Doctor Who more when it was a collaborative effort rather than a spearheaded one. Yeah we still get other writers for different episodes but the whole seasonal arc is still manufactured by a core group of Moffat's "friends" I just want a season that kind of doesn't have a particular focus and is just the Doctor going around saving people. Something a little more simple and less melodramatic.

As far as Season 9 went down, I liked it more than 8 for sure and I really do still dig Capaldi as the Doctor however once again the whole show just has the forced feeling that I can't quite put my hands on. Nothing feels natural to me, however, that being said I did enjoy most of the episodes that aired during it's entire run. So I mean I can't say I hated it but let's just say I think the show could be so much better.