PDA

View Full Version : Noises & Samples · The High End of Low

S.D.
07-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Has anyone thought about these in any more depth than just taking them at face value with the record? There are obvious noises such as that of the film reel at the beginning of I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies, but there are other more subtle parts, like the spoken word sample (nearly indecipherable) behind Four Rusted Horses, or the "submarine" radar (or perhaps medical equipment) at the close of Pretty As A Swastika.
Also, the buzz that features both at the beginning of We're From America, and recurring on the official website, it sounds interesting. If you listen to a song called A Stranger from A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step, at 2:03 in there is a noise that sounds very similar. I'd be interested to know if that has anything to do with Twiggy's involvement on that record as Jeordie White... If you'd like to listen to the song:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ0NBKqQ4ys

The Empirical Guy
07-20-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm not familiar with the Perfect Circle song, so can't be drawing comparisons, but my initial thought on you mentioning it was that it could just be White noise ;)

I've been trying to figure the spoken word samples out. In FRH I can make out (to my ear) "Been stopped by the police I don't know how many times, checking ID's and stuff..." and that's it, I can't get any more. Although we know the story behind it, I'd like to know what is actually said by the girl in WOW. Unfortunately my German is abysmal. Any Germans here able to make it out?

Iulian
07-20-2009, 07:09 AM
It does sound similar.

Cool song too :D

Not Mechanical
07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
The one in Four Rusted Horses sounds most interesting to me, should anyone be able to track down the source I'd be very grateful. As The Empirical Guy said, I can make out the 'checking IDs' bit, but on the whole it is very hard to hear, though I shall listen back to it to check the first part you posted.

spaceSuicide
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm always catching that checking IDs and stuff sample in Four Rusted Horses. I wonder if it was intentional, though I'm sure it was.

Lauren
07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Every time I listen to We're From America, the beginning reminds me of the beginning of Lagartija Nick by Bauhaus. Sorry I don't have a link to the song, the live versions sound weird and there's no music video.

The Empirical Guy
07-21-2009, 06:51 AM
That is bullshit. Manson has stated that it is a German girl they met who he, ahem... entertained. Unless someone can prove Lady Gaga can speak fluent German, I doubt it's her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB_Ve4IhdC8

As for Devour, I think it's pretty obvious, seeing as the final lyric is "make me stop". It caught me off guard first time but it works, and there's no real deep meaning I'm aware of apart from a blatant reflection of the words.

Komakino
07-21-2009, 08:02 AM
"The Wow" samples a woman speaking in German, at both the beginning and ending of the song.

* "Du küsst mich und berührst mich," meaning "You kiss me and touch me."
* "Es fühlt sich gut an," meaning "It feels good."
* "Es fühlt sich so gut an," meaning "It feels so good."
* "Ich will einfach mit dir zusammen sein," meaning "I just want to be with you."
* "und es genießen," meaning "and enjoy it."
* "Ich mag es, wenn du," meaning "I like it when you."
* "Sei nicht überrascht, wenn ich dir in die Augen sehen kann," meaning "Don't be surprised, I can look you in the eyes."
* "Ich mag es, wenn du es mit mir tust," meaning "I like it when you do me."
* "Ich mag es, bloss nicht aufhörn," meaning "I like it, just do not stop."
* "Es fühlt sich einfach so gut an," meaning "It just feels so good."
* "So gut," meaning "So good." .

Norsefire
07-21-2009, 02:57 PM
I really like the audio sample in 4RH, I have no clue where it comes from though.

Things like that I enjoy, like those audio parts in Holy Wood.

Ich_Bin_Du
08-15-2009, 07:13 AM
"The Wow" samples a woman speaking in German, at both the beginning and ending of the song.

* "Du küsst mich und berührst mich," meaning "You kiss me and touch me."
* "Es fühlt sich gut an," meaning "It feels good."
* "Es fühlt sich so gut an," meaning "It feels so good."
* "Ich will einfach mit dir zusammen sein," meaning "I just want to be with you."
* "und es genießen," meaning "and enjoy it."
* "Ich mag es, wenn du," meaning "I like it when you."
* "Sei nicht überrascht, wenn ich dir in die Augen sehen kann," meaning "Don't be surprised, I can look you in the eyes."
* "Ich mag es, wenn du es mit mir tust," meaning "I like it when you do me."
* "Ich mag es, bloss nicht aufhörn," meaning "I like it, just do not stop."
* "Es fühlt sich einfach so gut an," meaning "It just feels so good."
* "So gut," meaning "So good."

Today I found a Rock Hard magazine with a short Manson interview (before his performance at Rock am Ring). I did't buy it, but I remember most of it. I don't think it has been posted here. Well, he was talking about "Wow" in this interview.
He said that he had sex with an Austrian girl while he was recording "Wow". He told her to describe their sex in her language and recorded what she said. Then he made it "sound like it was happening in another room", because he "didn't want to shock her parents".

S.D.
08-16-2009, 08:58 AM
He got ballsy with their daughter.

S.D.
07-12-2010, 03:33 AM
I hate to double-post, but it's been a while, and there's something I noticed recently. Listen to Thaeter, then the opening five seconds or so of I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies, you can hear the clicking of a film reel turning on a projector in both. It's fairly obvious in Movies, there's even a film reel on The High End Of Low disc, but I liked the fact it can be heard on The Golden Age Of Grotesque as well. Also, for a song (Movies) discussing acting, and Thaeter regarding the stage, it's not difficult to establish a thematic link between the two.
The pitch of the sample is slightly different in either song, but I wondered whether or not it was a soundclip, or an actual recording of the projector Manson has set up in his house. Anyway, I hope this is of some interest.

The Empirical Guy
07-12-2010, 09:02 AM
I'd heard them both before but never really drawn much relevance between the two until you mentioned it's source. Given that we know Manson is fond of having movies playing while he is working, it could be that's it's part of the ambient room noise going on at the time that they decided to capture.

S.D.
07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Indeed, there's numerous possibilities. I'm not going to make the suggestion that Thaeter and I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies have any deeper relationship to one another due to this sound, but I do find it interesting to observe that Manson made comments about kidnapping girls surrounding The High End Of Low (which would most logically be a part of Movies), and the full-length version of Thaeter was the score for Doppelherz, in which Manson and his band kidnap the Siamese Twin girls.
Also, there was a visual parallel made recently by Mary, relating Manson during The High End Of Low with The Lovers by Magritte, you can read it HERE (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php?1200-Visual-Parallels&p=61574&viewfull=1#post61574). Doppelherz also has an image that reminds me of both:-

http://providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./veildoppelherz.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/2d7y0b7.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/amsa61.jpg

The sheet placed over the girl's head looks similar to Manson beneath the veil. That was also an thematic reprised for Running To The Edge Of The World, which was allegedly originally supposed to be the Movies video (or similar, with Evan playing the Polk role).

Elizabeth Casto
04-14-2013, 09:08 AM
I was feeling nostalgic so I put the album on and was listening with headphones, next thing i know I get to this song and I am hearing some dude talk about checking ID's in the background. What is that? Its around the first chorus about a minute into it.

Norsefire
04-14-2013, 09:12 AM
It's interesting, but I don't think anyone has ever found the original source of where it comes from.

thatrussianman
04-14-2013, 08:23 PM
It alway sounded like a cop to me... I thought it was just something cool that added to the song

Atom
04-14-2013, 08:38 PM
I always thought it added to the post-apocalyptic feel of the song that I got. Whether or not it's intentionally supposed to give that vibe is a different story.

Great song though.

TheHighEndOfLow
03-08-2015, 01:28 PM
I found the source of sound from 2009 site (maybe someone remember it). I've listened all files in hope to find sample from Four Rusted Horses, but no luck.

soundcloud.com/walter-kurtz-2/tcp-d1-01-the-swedish-rhapsody (http://soundcloud.com/walter-kurtz-2/tcp-d1-01-the-swedish-rhapsody)

More from that strange project: http://soundcloud.com/the-conet-project/sets/the-conet-project

Norsefire
03-08-2015, 02:38 PM
I remember a whole download available of those transmission files, the original files not MM.com files. They were used before in 2006 on MM.com and someone tracked them down. I think they were weird broadcasts that have no source and no one knows why they were being broadcast or who they were meant for but people record this stuff.

Nemoris Inferioris
03-08-2015, 10:01 PM
The Conet Project. Recordings of Encrypted and untraceable broadcasts from Numbers Stations back in WWI. Supposed to be for spies, which carried Morse codes in different languages and with artificial voices. "The Swedish Raphsody" being the one used on MM.com in 2009. Others we also used on the site in 2006. "4 note scale rising" being one used on the Gallery Of Fine Art page of MM.com. I couldn't find the source of the checking Id's, and I think it is separate from the Numbers Stations recordings. I haven't listened to all 5 CDs of The Conet Project, so I don't know for sure.

My signature explains.

The Empirical Guy
03-09-2015, 03:56 AM
Yeah, numbers stations. He probably used these as something of a reference to the station broadcasting the Numbers in the show LOST, him and Twiggy were big fans if you remember and the show was reaching it's finale throughout 2009 - it finished May 2010.

Nemoris Inferioris
03-09-2015, 01:38 PM
I think he used them for "No Reason". "Not Everything Has A Meaning", being a code from the site. Just for, well No Reason. But I like that LOST reference.

Exit Now. Unsaved Changes Will Be LOST.

Celluloidholes
05-10-2017, 10:38 AM
I remember digging through Nachttkabaret and it mentioned Fellini's 8 ½ playing Thaeter.