PDA

View Full Version : EAT ME, DRINK ME

S.D.
09-11-2009, 11:36 AM
It may be a past album, but I still think there is a lot to be learned about EAT ME, DRINK ME. I have been looking over the booklet for the record, and there are a lot of phrases written inside that intrigue me. There is one page, with the lyrics to If I Was Your Vampire on it, which I have not written here, as I believe -< me >- already has some research done on it. Hopefully those ideas can be added here also. There are a few things written in the booklet that I feel may relate to The High End of Low, I have noted which ones.

These are in the top corner of the second page, also with the phrase "Always get a photocopy" next to the M/M with the shock symbol:-

"Feel like a person...
Really enjoy revenge (I can...
walking on the roof
do also) I'm losing my...
Maybe it's better to..."

Maybe it's better to --- push something when it's slipping?...

Chart:-

WARNER, BRIAN - 03/17/1997 (?) 06: 01: 46 PM
I 3 VR
II 3 VL
01/05/1969
St. Vincent Hospital and Medical Center

There is a St. Vincent Hospital in New York, apparently. Though I remember this being discussed before, and I don't know what relevance that date has, or what it pertains to in relation to EAT ME, DRINK ME...

These are all the parts written on the page that has lyrics to Just A Car Crash Away:-

"Firsthand Video Roadblock
repulsion?/propulsion? (I'm not sure about this one)
[I]Paid Death
Minimum Kingpin
Paralyzed Corridor
Fear membership (fatal?)
Stunning possession of
Symbolic firearms
Second ..... of
Tragedy
Wellness

Staged
Circuses
Of giddy school girls
Knife fantasies
Pitchfork
Dance Party
Stop gutter people from smiling
Paint the evidence"

These words stood out to me:-

Symbolic firearms - "I'm more like a silver bullet, than I'm like a gun/I've got a crush on a pretty pistol/She tells me I'm a pretty bullet" - [I]Pretty As A Swastika --- "I will blow your heart to pieces"

Of giddy school girls --- Knife fantasies --- Pitchfork --- Dance Party

Stupid Teenage Girls/Satanic Girls Gone Wild? - "If you're not dancing, then you're dead"

Smiling gutter people? - The High End of Low?

These are just musings at the moment, I'm just interested because I didn't see much material on all of these phrases, so I wanted to write them out and get some feedback.

Norsefire
09-12-2009, 10:01 AM
These are from an insert with the Taiwan CD, I'm not sure, but it could be a phone ringtone flyer, but faintly in the background of it is this...

"Just before...
of Christma...
Lying Cheek...
[illegible] embrac...
[3 covered lines]
Haunted face"

then another part of it has this, its an extension to what is seen in the booklet.

"need to keep it toge..
it will crumble Out..
wind ?? people are
ead ????? ???? ???
years left ???? to di..
t miserable time.
hear everything ?? root
insects the ?????? the
??? the computer?
end to sedate the nerve
??t to have things?
thing having ?????
feel like a person
really enjoy revenge. (I can
are walking on the root/f?
do also) I'm losing my
Maybe it's better to"

SCAN HERE:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w252 ... antai3.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w252/herrdokterss/scantai3.jpg)

sugarbaby
09-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Great thread S.D.I am still intriguied by all this and most of it wasn't sorted out when we got the album.
The only thing that I can think to add right now is the line in Devour,"I know I'll miss you if I close my eyes but this is loaded,if I open them.I'll see you and I'll blow your heart to pieces".That whole line seems to refer to him shooting at this person.Also,when you go to the Marilyn Manson Official Website and the page starts to Load[this is loaded ,if I open them]it appears that a gun is shot off and blood is splattered[I'll see you and I'll blow your heart to pieces].-from Devour

spaceSuicide
09-15-2009, 03:39 PM
EAT ME, DRINK ME and Devour

Upon listening to these one right after the other I come to see they are more closely connected than one seems, other than the fact of consumption as stated in both song titles.

"She's been forecast with attempt to kill herself, but the ending didn't test well"

and

"I can't sleep until I devour you" and "and I'll love you if you let, and I'll love you if you won't make me stop"

I see this as one transition to the other as follows,

In EMDM, it is pre-meditated that this female is faced with a decision to kill herself, aka suicide. We then come to Devour with it's stated topic of "murder-suicide" ending - "the ending didn't test well." The ending regardless doesn't test well on either side as leaving will force Manson to kill said person (infer to Evan) and life beng stripped away on her part - both end with death as a fate. In either case, it's an ending that didn't test well.

The song EMDM infers that suicide and death is imminent on her part, as sort of a mutual agreement between the two as stipulations for the end of the relationship. I see EAT ME, DRINK ME as a gateway leading directly into Devour.

Purely conincidental or not, chew on that for awhile. I hope i voiced it over enough.

S.D.
09-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow, all three of you have given me new ideas about this album and concepts emerging from it now. Some of what I wanted to add here is part of some interview text I need, which I don't have now, but I might be able to get tomorrow. If I can't I will be annoyed, but might be able to paraphrase.

Needless to say this is excellent material in relation to what I belive to be underdeveloped analysis so far, I still think there is more to EAT ME, DRINK ME that we can discover.

[god]speed
11-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Chart:-

WARNER, BRIAN - 03/17/1997 (?) 06: 01: 46 PM
I 3 VR
II 3 VL
01/05/1969
St. Vincent Hospital and Medical Center
March 17th, 1997 Manson was playing in Melbourne, Australia. There is a St. Vincent's Hospital is located there as well... I wonder why it would link to Just a Car Crash Away

Dead To The World 1997 03 17 (http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/1997/03/17_Melbourne,_Australia)

[god]speed
11-22-2009, 06:29 AM
EMDM is so under appreciated for analysis. Though I do recall that we devoured EMDM @ The Phant. This album is one of my favorites

-<me>-
11-22-2009, 06:42 AM
"The 36 Mental and Moral Faculties"

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/picatya/IfIwas.jpg

The Organs of Mental and Moral Faculties
According to Phrenology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Amativeness Physical Love
2 Philoprogenitiveness Parental Love A particular feeling which watches over and provides for helpless offspring, or parental love
3 Adhesiveness Friendship A feeling or attraction to become friendly with other persons, or to increase social contacts
4 Combativeness The disposition to quarrel and fight
5 Destructiveness The propensity to destroy
6 Secretiveness The propensity to conceal, predisposes the individual to Cunning and Slyness
7 Acquisitiveness The propensity to acquire
8 Self-Esteem This sentiment gives us a great opinion of ourselves, constituing self-love
9 Approbativeness This faculty seeks the approbation of others. It makes us attentive to the opinion entertained by others of ourselves
10 Cautiousness This organ incites us to take precautions
11 Individuality This faculty contributes to the recognition of the existence of individual beings, and facilitates the embodiment of several elements into one
12 Locality This faculty conceives of places occupied by the objects that surround us
13 Form This allows us to understand the shapes of objects
14 Verbal memory The memory for words.
15 Language Philology in General
16 Coloring This organ cognizes, recollects, and judges the relations of colors
17 Tune The organ of musical perception
18 Calculativeness Number The organ responsible for the ability to calculate and to handle numbers and figures
19 Constructiveness The faculty leading to the will of constructing something
20 Comparison This faculty compares the sensations and notions excited by all other faculties, points out their similitudes, analogies, differences or identity, and comprehends their relations, harmony or discord
21 Causality This faculty allows us to understand reason behind events
22 Vitativeness Wit This faculty predisposes men to view every thing in a joyful way
23 Ideality This facultiy vivifies the other faculties and impresses a peculiar character called ideal
24 Benevolence This power produces mildness and goodness, compassion, and kidness, humanity
25 Imitativeness This organ produces a fondness for acting and for dramatic representation
26 Generation This faculty allows us to come up with new ideas
27 Firmeness This faculty gives constancy and perseverance to the other powers, contributing to maintain theis activity
28 Time The faculty of time conceives the duration phenomena
29 Eventuality This faculty recognizes the activity of every other, and acts in turn upon all of them
30 Inhabitiveness The instinct that prompts one to select a particular dwelling, often called attachment to home
31 Reverence Veneration By this organ's agency man adores God, venerates saints, and respoects persons and things
32 Concientiousness This organ produces a feeling of justice and conscientiousness, or the love of truth and duty
33 Hope Hopes induces a belief in the possibility of whatever the other faculties desire, it inspires optimism about future events.
34 Marvelousness This sentiment inspires belief in the true and the false prophet, and aids superstition, but is also essential to the belief in the doctriness of religion
35 Size This organ provides notions of the dimensions or size of external objects
36 Weight and resistance This faculty procures the knowledge of the specific gravity of objects, and is of use whenever weigth or resistance are worked upon whith the hands, or by means of tolls.
37 Order This faculty gives method and order to objects only as they are physically related

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n01/frenolog/frenorg.htm

S.D.
01-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I have been thinking recently about "The Wasteland" in the title track. Most who remember will probably be aware of it being relative to TS Eliot's poem, The Waste Land, and perhaps as an alternative view of sorts on Wonderland (I have mentioned it before I think, but Jan Švankmajer's Alice depicts parts of Wonderland as being barren and uninhabited), in relation to Carroll. But another thought I had was that it might reflect the Temptation Of Christ mythology. Much of EAT ME, DRINK ME seems to be focused on temptation and sin, and manifestations of those things. Following his baptism by John, Christ entered the Desert to spend his 40 days and 40 nights, and was tempted by the Devil three times to prove himself as Holy (essentially the Devil wanted him to prove he was more than a mere man, and also to then renounce god the Father and worship the Devil. Now, the "Desert" can surely be seen as the "Wasteland", no? The Devil is referenced several times on the record also, both as external to Manson's commentary - ["The Devil's tits" / You And Me And The Devil Makes 3] - and also, as Christ went to the Desert, he fasted, not consuming solid or liquid, which is reflected in the title of the album. Manson has often compared himself to Christ, and obviously commented on the way the album's name is relative to the Holy Eucharist, but it's interesting, especially in terms of the themes of infidelity that are present, that the temptation of Christ as much as his sacrifice would perhaps be a basis for inspiration.

Perhaps the incentive is not to be nourished by anyone but yourself, reflecting the thematic of Antichrist Superstar, and resisting the temptation of Devils.

Also, a separate point, and perhaps an obvious one, but I have only just noticed that the album operates on a cycle of night into day. The first song on the album is If I Was Your Vampire, featuring the lyric "here comes the Moon again". The final track, EAT ME, DRINK ME, features "I see my horror, mirrored in the sundown of your blank stare". So you have Moon at the start, and then Sundown, which obviously in life leads into night, the Moon: "This is where it starts, this is where it will end".

Not Mechanical
01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
The idea of "The Wasteland" being related to the Eliot poem really interests me, and the idea Manson must appreciate it, too.
It's one of my all time favourite poems.

Not to mention another favourite The Rape of the Lock referenced in the same song.

[god]speed
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I have been thinking recently about "The Wasteland" in the title track. Most who remember will probably be aware of it being relative to TS Eliot's poem, The Waste Land, and perhaps as an alternative view of sorts on Wonderland (I have mentioned it before I think, but Jan Švankmajer's Alice depicts parts of Wonderland as being barren and uninhabited), in relation to Carroll.

Also, a separate point, and perhaps an obvious one, but I have only just noticed that the album operates on a cycle of night into day. The first song on the album is If I Was Your Vampire, featuring the lyric "here comes the Moon again". The final track, EAT ME, DRINK ME, features "I see my horror, mirrored in the sundown of your blank stare". So you have Moon at the start, and then Sundown, which obviously in life leads into night, the Moon: "This is where it starts, this is where it will end".

Regarding T.S. Eliot and EAT ME, DRINK ME...
Whenever I hear the lyrics to If I Was Your Vampire, And also in conjunction with the Manson/Carroll 'Rabbit Hunt' this line comes to mind

We shall not cease from exploration,
and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.

This is where it starts this is where it ends...

Mary
01-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I have been thinking recently about "The Wasteland" in the title track. Most who remember will probably be aware of it being relative to TS Eliot's poem, The Waste Land, and perhaps as an alternative view of sorts on Wonderland (I have mentioned it before I think, but Jan Švankmajer's Alice depicts parts of Wonderland as being barren and uninhabited), in relation to Carroll. But another thought I had was that it might reflect the Temptation Of Christ mythology. Much of EAT ME, DRINK ME seems to be focused on temptation and sin, and manifestations of those things. Following his baptism by John, Christ entered the Desert to spend his 40 days and 40 nights, and was tempted by the Devil three times to prove himself as Holy (essentially the Devil wanted him to prove he was more than a mere man, and also to then renounce god the Father and worship the Devil. Now, the "Desert" can surely be seen as the "Wasteland", no? The Devil is referenced several times on the record also, both as external to Manson's commentary - ["The Devil's tits" / You And Me And The Devil Makes 3] - and also, as Christ went to the Desert, he fasted, not consuming solid or liquid, which is reflected in the title of the album. Manson has often compared himself to Christ, and obviously commented on the way the album's name is relative to the Holy Eucharist, but it's interesting, especially in terms of the themes of infidelity that are present, that the temptation of Christ as much as his sacrifice would perhaps be a basis for inspiration.

Perhaps the incentive is not to be nourished by anyone but yourself, reflecting the thematic of Antichrist Superstar, and resisting the temptation of Devils.

As for a theological interpretation of 'The Wasteland', the 'Red Queen' may possibly symbolise the devil, since the devil has also been personified as a women in Are You The Rabbit for having 'tits'.

S.D.
01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Brilliant thoughts emerging on an album that as said, I don't think was explored to its capacity yet, there is still more to learn. The idea of the Devil as a woman perhaps suggests that the title You And Me And The Devil Makes 3 is once more, referring to an external Devil, and Manson as the "you and me", the split sides of his personality drawn to temptation. The latter part of the song has extremes of good and bad partnered with one another as Manson sings "Murdercute, Happyrape". I was advised long ago that Manson enjoys dialogue using personal pronouns, leading people to make assumptions about who he is referring to, but more often than not, he is referring only to himself, the Manson and the Marilyn. I also think that the Devil on the record is personifying fame and vice, and the "she" of The Red Carpet Grave (note the use of red once more) is this same figure. A Celebritarian assessment of some people's senseless desire for recognition would seem to be that "It's no wonder our stage clothes have dreams to be famous", which is noted whilst "on the way to the Red Queen".

"She hangs the headless upside down to drain", strikes me as noting that the Devil of fame discards the "faceless" ("they love your face" / "watch out your face" / "like a vulture on your face") and "drains" them of their blood, their "art". Perhaps EAT ME, DRINK ME, like 15 on the following record, is a reclamation of the artist's power in some ways. If the Devil of fame has forecast that the "star" will kill their self, and that doesn't occur, then the "star" emerges victorious, surely? Recognising that fame is a blank stare and you can rely only on yourself would reinvigorate you as an artist, perhaps under the assumption that you have nothing to lose, the (were)wolves will be at the door regardless of whether you are on the red carpet or not.

apokalypsos
10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
While watching Jodorowsky's film El Topo the other day, I was struck by one scene in particular that seemed to be an interesting parallel to one of the main themes in Eat Me, Drink Me.

The scene starts at 1 hour 2 mins 28 seconds in.. I can't get the embedded video plugin to start the Youtube clip at this exact time on the forum, so here's a link to the timing of this scene on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9dtiOebgo&t=1h2m28s)

In this scene, El Topo meets the third master, Who upon first meeting El Topo suggests that El Topo loathes himself and alludes that is his fatal flaw. Third Master interestingly enough, lives on a rabbit farm of sorts. As El Topo nears the farm, Third Master's rabbits begin to die off one by one and their decomposing bodies are picked off by crows. El Topo and Third Master each shoot a crow as the crows devour the fallen rabbits. Third Master then picks up both crows and asks El Topo if he can tell him "which one is yours and which is mine?"

El Topo nods and states:
This one is yours. It was shot through the head.
This one is mine. It was shot through the heart.

Third Master then lays one of the bloody crows against
El Topo's heart and the other against his forehead.

"El corazón de la cabeza cámbialos de sitio"
The heart the head. Switch them around.

He switches the positions of the dead crows, laying the one that
was on El Topo's heart against his head, and the one that was
on his head against his heart. He tosses the cadavers away.

http://i.imgur.com/0VjBg.png
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/nk_mmcom_heart_bee.jpg

el corazón de la cabeza cámbialos de sitio

The heart of the head change the site.

I feel that the concept of "When the heart guides the hand" / utilizing the will of heart to influence the mind's decisions is one of the canonical themes throughout EAT ME, DRINK ME. This albums seems to showcase Manson having a change of heart, letting go of the ego, (the head) Marilyn Manson that he had built upon from the beginning of his career through the Golden Age of Grotesque and shedding that skin. Perhaps Manson is guilty of that same flaw that plagues El Topo, The loathing of themselves, letting their heads get the best of them. This anger inside of their minds was for the longest time, the driving force behind their actions. So by "cutting the head off" or separating himself from the character of Marilyn Manson is what allowed him to become more human during the creation of this album....By letting go of the irrational mind, "cut the head off" and hanging himself "upside down to drain."

What I mean by that is, if for the longest time you allow your ego to run your life and suddenly cannot relate to that person anymore because it has "poisoned" your blood, Then it makes sense to drain all of that blood, that is full of negativity out, so that it cannot seep through into the new person or relationship. The lyrics of the title track even seem to allude to this. "I've heard she (the Queen of Hearts) hangs the headless upside down to drain." In this line of the lyrics, we have a portrait of the heart (albeit a sort of subliminal allusion to the Alice's Queen of Hearts) and a headless body, which together paints a striking image very similar to the one above taken from the news section of MM.com.

In a sense, the only thing that separates humankind from it's primal urges to eat, fuck, and destroy everything it sees is through weighing our actions through our hearts. Manson needed to switch the heart and the head around, and allow his heart to guide him.
When the heart guides the hand.

I thought it was an interesting parallel, considering Jodorowsky's apparent influence on Manson and the fact that Jodorowsky interviewed Manson during the Eat Me, Drink Me (http://www.endandend.com/pre.php?id=11) it isn't much of a stretch.

http://www.technoccult.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/jodorowskymarilynmanson.jpg

There's a little bit more to it, as far as Jodorowsky's comments in the interview, and how i think that line of the title track ties into the tarot. which i'll try to maybe post later if anyone is interested. :)

If nothing else, it was a nice coincidence to play around with in my mind. I enjoy how Manson's art seems to have the ability to jump off of the screen at times and take on a life of it's own.

Halo Infinity
11-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right kind of post for this thread, but Eat Me, Drink Me is really the only Marilyn Manson album that I couldn't seem to get or click with. Now, by all means, I'm not saying that it's a bad record, as I even love some of the drumming and guitar work on it, but as a whole, it really was the hardest Marilyn Manson album for me to sit through.

And to add to the actual point of this thread, it definitely looks like one enormous reference to his divorce from Dita Von Teese. (As you can already tell, I barely looked into it, because it really was a very challenging listen to me.)

MrBonestripper
11-04-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right kind of post for this thread, but Eat Me, Drink Me is really the only Marilyn Manson album that I couldn't seem to get or click with. Now, by all means, I'm not saying that it's a bad record, as I even love some of the drumming and guitar work on it, but as a whole, it really was the hardest Marilyn Manson album for me to sit through.

And to add to the actual point of this thread, it definitely looks like one enormous reference to his divorce from Dita Von Teese. (As you can already tell, I barely looked into it, because it really was a very challenging listen to me.)

this is exactly how i feel about it

Alterkaker66
11-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Challenging as in not interesting enough? It's no ass kicker but it is one of his most consistent albums for content and style. I'd say it's also the first album by Manson the individual vs. Manson the band. -Have I said this before? Brain fart.-

M Tragedy666
11-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Here we go again talking shit about Eat Me Drink Me. Well, I guess you can't please everyone. This album is very special to me and helped me through a very hard time when it first came out. I'll admit I don't listen to it nearly as often as I should. I guess I just have a lot of memories tied to the songs. But when I do give it a spin, it's like time travel. I'm instantly back at a very dark but amazing time in life. I love EMDM. I don't think it's better or worse than anything else he has done. It's just different. To each their own I guess.

But I think it's very unfair to label it as some "Dita" or "ERW" album. The record is LOADED with all kinds of great stuff. Lyrically, it features Manson at some of his most poetic, arguably. It has a ton of great music and lyrics filled with metaphor and references. And anyone who complains about the guitar work mustn't like rock music...

Halo Infinity
11-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Challenging as in not interesting enough? It's no ass kicker but it is one of his most consistent albums for content and style. I'd say it's also the first album by Manson the individual vs. Manson the band. -Have I said this before? Brain fart.-
I had a feeling that I almost forgot to make a reply in this thread entirely.

It just didn't appeal to me as much, and perhaps I'm too kind to use words like boring and sucks. Besides, I actually don't even see it as a bad record. (And I don't even regret having it in my MM collection at all.) I think for some, as the expression goes, you're either on the train or off it. I think in some cases, some fans also have a hard time having Portrait of an American Family click with them, and they're among the biggest fans of Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals.

(Just to give you an example here, since in Eat Me, Drink Me's case, you'd still have people have The Golden Age of Grotesque and The High End of Low click with them a lot more.)

But yes, I'm in no way shitting on Eat Me, Drink Me as I've given it chances before, but I still thought of giving it more chances as some songs are slowly growing on me. In some other ways, as far as reception goes, even kind of like to look at Eat Me, Drink Me as Marilyn Manson's Filth Pig and/or Dark Side of the Spoon. It's also been a very long time since I've listened to Eat Me, Drink Me anyway.

Anyway, it's really been a while since I gave Eat Me, Drink Me a proper listen and in no way to do I intend to jump the bandwagon, because most of the time, the bandwagon has steered me wrong, and I'd rather figure out such opinions for myself. And I know it's a slow progression as it really was the least listened to in my MM collection, but If I Was Your Vampire and They Said Hell's Not Hot having been growing on me, and I always loved how Putting Holes in Happiness opened.

In other words, I post in peace Eat Me, Drink Me fans. ;)

Here we go again talking shit about Eat Me Drink Me. Well, I guess you can't please everyone. This album is very special to me and helped me through a very hard time when it first came out. I'll admit I don't listen to it nearly as often as I should. I guess I just have a lot of memories tied to the songs. But when I do give it a spin, it's like time travel. I'm instantly back at a very dark but amazing time in life. I love EMDM. I don't think it's better or worse than anything else he has done. It's just different. To each their own I guess.

But I think it's very unfair to label it as some "Dita" or "ERW" album. The record is LOADED with all kinds of great stuff. Lyrically, it features Manson at some of his most poetic, arguably. It has a ton of great music and lyrics filled with metaphor and references. And anyone who complains about the guitar work mustn't like rock music...
That's the thing, I actually like, or even loved the guitar work and the drums. Some of the way these songs start also seem to match the darkness of Portrait of an American Family and Antichrist Superstar. Yes, I'll even go there with that. And lyrically, I've always thought Marilyn Manson had it anyway. Even a little glance at the lyrics let me become aware of that. (Oh, and I admitted to not knowing much about it, so I tried not to make any bold/foolish assumptions.)

It probably needs a couple of more listens for it to sink in for me. It also can't be due to the slower songs either, as I liked the slow songs in the Triptych. And well, this proves that I could never be completely over Marilyn Manson. I'll always be a fan of Marilyn Manson one way or another. :cool:

blue angel
06-09-2014, 05:09 PM

I love this album, it may even be my favorite Manson album. It's between this one and Mechanical Animals. It just sounds like a metal album to me, except for one song sounds like classic Manson and that is, Mutilation Is The Sincerest Form Of Flattery. It's a heavy Manson album, meaning that there is a lot of layers and all kinds of things hidden throughout it. It stands up through time too.

Halo Infinity
07-18-2014, 10:41 AM
I thought that this interview concerning Eat Me, Drink Me was a pretty good listen. It certainly helped me gain a better understanding as to how and why it ended up that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqjUZevJEY

S.D.
03-19-2015, 07:43 AM
I don't have anything deeply analytical to add to this topic right now, I simply wanted to express some appreciation for the album generally. Better than a straight appreciation topic, although should enough responses develop, I'll split it.

It might be Manson's strangest record to date, not necessarily because of the theme, but because although it seems to be exactly what an outsider would expect of a Marilyn Manson album, it doesn't 'fit' anywhere. There's a few connections with The High End Of Low, but they're not really similar. If you want mood, menace, and some classic Manson introspection, this is definitely the best album for that.
The searing melodies on tracks like ...Vampire, ...Happiness, ...Car Crash and EAT ME, DRINK ME peak it, and I think that sludgy blues sound on Evidence, Rabbit and Devil make for a great, moody second half.

Definitely a nice once to revisit, and featured some of Manson's most interesting and rich photos of the last ten years.

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/EMDM_Promotional_17.jpg

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/EMDM_Promotional_26.jpg

After the relative monochrome of The Golden Age Of Grotesque, it was beautiful and refreshing to see so many brooding, deep colours right through this project. I think the videos are lovely as well. Manson might often try and best himself with this whole 'cinematic' obsession, but from a somewhat minimalist, death-or-glory, David Lynch type of angle, I think EAT ME, DRINK ME did a fine job of evoking that feel.

All thoughts welcome, of course.

YoureAlreadyHere
08-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Just wanna say Putting Holes in Happiness sounds like sex. Every time.

Golden Eel
08-18-2015, 04:51 PM
This album is always and forever rad as fuck

YoureAlreadyHere
08-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Uhm, nice pic and sig???

cataract777
08-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Uhm, nice pic and sig???

I know lol. I was going to say "FYH, I thought you didn't like this album" and then I was like "Ohhh...."

Anywho. When this album was first released I thought the songs all sounded too familiar and that it just droned on and on and on. But I've come to really appreciate this record. I especially love that the record is just as enjoyable without Manson's vocals, and just as instrumentals. I love how deeply personal the whole record is and that it allows us to see a bit of a different side to Manson. I love all of the tracks in their own way. The weakest track on the record, in my opinion, would have to be Heart-Shaped Glasses. My favorite has come to be the title track, in fact I think it's one of Manson's best tracks in his entire discography. But the emotion that comes through on songs like They Said That Hell's Not Hot and Just A Car Crash Away is something that makes those two tracks just as great as the rest of the record.

As far as the era as a whole goes, I do love the imagery. Manson looked so sharp during this entire era, the press photos I thought have always been incredible.

This is one of my favorite photos of Manson, although the entire shoot was amazing.
http://i59.tinypic.com/358tqc2.jpg
I also enjoy this one.
http://i62.tinypic.com/5lp5wz.jpg
I did not attend any of the shows during this tour but I thought (from the bootlegs and footage I have seen and heard) they were rather good. I remember complaining about Manson's voice, as this is where we really could start to notice the wear and tear on his vocals, but I've come to not mind it as much. The shows looked like they were plenty of fun. The set lists also were pretty damn good. He made If I Was Your Vampire work as an opener. And one of my favorite live moments of the tour was when he incorporated a chunk of audio from Alice In Wonderland before performing Are You the Rabbit? as well as Sweet Dreams.

The Lewis Caroll imagery is something I also enjoyed about this record and era. Not to mention the website was really badass. And one of my favorite Manson interviews of all time happens to be from this era...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZafLLzjv60