PDA

View Full Version : Why is 'Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon' off the list?

dopedevil73
09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Just wondering why Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon has been off the set list as of late???

S.D.
09-23-2009, 09:04 AM
From what I can see, Manson and the band are becoming less reliant on singles, and more on songs that not only transfer well live, but also keep more of a hard core audience happy. That isn't to say that Arma...Geddon wasn't good live, but if I could argue the toss between that and Wight Spider, it would be the latter all the way.

There was a fairly short time between the premiere of We're From America and Arma...Geddon also, and even today, We're From America is the strongest of the two as far as I am concerned, so I would prefer more pounding performances of that to be honest, as far as recent "singles" go.

Hope that helps, I think they're just trying to mix it up a bit, especially considering that Arma...Geddon seems to have been present for most of the European first leg and Mayhem dates, they may have just fancied a change.

dopedevil73
09-23-2009, 09:08 AM
thanks for the info

ShelfLife
09-25-2009, 12:57 AM
You make many good points S.D., but I feel that Arma...geddon is far, far superior to We're From America. I really hope it returns to the setlist by the time they reach Australian shores.

A boy called Rita
12-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Apparently they have stopped playing it just because Manson is bored of it. He also said they are trying to avoid stuff from Golden age and Eat me drink me, but they have been trying to play mobscene. I am not sure what is stopping them exactly though...

Dronepool
12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm glad that they're moving on but annoyed that when I saw the band, they were mostly doing singles. But yeah, I like both of the 'single' songs. I never got the dislike for We're From America, it's a great song.

S.D.
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
They've been easing various songs in and out from different eras, for different moods, for different crowds, it's been quite the revolving door tour for songs, and I really like that. It's cool if people like certain songs more than others, but I was pleased with what I saw last week, it'd been a long time coming and there was a good mixture of about ten years worth of material.

mOBSCENE might make an appearance, it's another one I know they've rehearsed, perhaps the moment for it hasn't presented itself yet. The Nottingham date is a far bigger venue than the others they've done in the UK so far if memory serves of the place, so perhaps mOBSCENE being a "bigger" song, it might fit a more expansive location.

Norsefire
12-15-2009, 11:07 AM
That would be cool if he does play it at Nottingham, I'm not sure how big the Trent FM Arena is, but being called an Arena I assume its bigger than some of the other venues he has played in the UK.

Its been really good how they keep switching songs around and changing the set lists, you just don't know what might happen.

thereddemon
12-16-2009, 01:37 AM
It holds 10,000 but I've been told there's a lot of tickets still left.

M Tragedy666
02-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I really love that song. The only thing I really hated about the live performance of it was that they used the pre-recorded track sample for the "Fuck...Eat, Kill, now do it again" It just made it sound cheesy and took you out of the intensity of the performance. Not that it was an "intense" song...or heavy or whatever....but... I don't know. I hate when band's do that for a big and important part of the song. It's fine if they sample some subtle keyboards or something almost undetectable....but this was obvious...and pointless. He could have easily sung that. It was like...too fast to sing live or something. Hell, atleast have another band member sing back up vocals on that part if Manson couldnt do it...they didnt need to sample it.

Reverend
02-12-2012, 07:12 PM
don't worry i'm sure they'll replace it with more new singles from the new album

i suppose it does not really matter if Manson doesn't bother singing them properly anyway...

Reverend
02-12-2012, 07:13 PM
We're From America is disliked because it sounds like a song that may have written by Green Day.

Cringeon
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
You at least got to try if you want to play the part of the jaded cynic.

Golden Eel
02-12-2012, 09:44 PM
We're From America is disliked because it sounds like a Green Day song.

Have you ever listened to Green Day?

Reverend
02-14-2012, 05:05 AM
i mean it sounds like it was written by Green Day, not sounds like Green Day

i listen to Manson's concerts from 95-97 especially, because that's the Marilyn Manson i like. basically every fan i know who listened to him in anti christ will acknowledge his records from 2005 onwards have been a Brian Warner album, pretty good but theres something wrong with his voice, he always uses special effects on his voice and each album loses more of the original voice, starting to be very noticable with goaog, but that still was a good album, but for example listen to minute of decay then listen to white spider you can hear the song would be much better if he didnt use those same old voice effects constantly.

why am i a cynic if i have been a fan for so long or vice versa? you can admit there has been a steady drop off since 2000, but manson and twiggy keep saying the next album will be better than anti christ, so we get our hopes up, lots of manson fans comment on youtube and happen to share the same view as me, that nothing too exciting has been happening with this band for a while, if even a twiggy return can't help change direction, then we may never hear the original marilyn manson that we liked, i think the last album was good, but by no means can brian warners relationships be a replacement fuel for the story of marilyn manson

Reverend
02-14-2012, 05:18 AM
You at least got to try if you want to play the part of the jaded cynic.

cynical [ˈsɪnɪkəl]
adj
1. distrustful or contemptuous of virtue, esp selflessness in others; believing the worst of others, esp that all acts are selfish
2. sarcastic; mocking

S.D.
02-14-2012, 06:08 AM
We're From America is disliked because it sounds like a song that may have written by Green Day.

Disliked by whom, exactly? I very rarely hear criticism of the song, and personally love it. Sweeping statements should have some validity or there's little point in making them. Also, I thought the topic was about Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon, not We're From America?

i listen to Manson's concerts from 95-97 especially, because that's the Marilyn Manson i like. basically every fan i know who listened to him in anti christ will acknowledge his records from 2005 onwards have been a Brian Warner album, pretty good but theres something wrong with his voice, he always uses special effects on his voice and each album loses more of the original voice, starting to be very noticable with goaog, but that still was a good album, but for example listen to minute of decay then listen to white spider you can hear the song would be much better if he didnt use those same old voice effects constantly.

I know lots of fans who have been listening to his albums since Antichrist Superstar, and before. Few of them are ignorant enough to bypass what Manson's been saying since day one; everything that he does is Marilyn Manson. If that's not the sort of Marilyn Manson you like at any given time, then that's a sore point for you, but it's still Marilyn Manson. If you want a band to remake the same albums over and over again, then you're essentially asking them to make no progression, and become stagnant.

"Anyone who remains static is not only unimaginative but is being safe. The real safe thing for me would be to make another album like Antichrist Superstar, look the same way I looked, and say the same things in interviews. But I've grown tired of that. There's lots more to explore." - MM, 1998

why am i a cynic if i have been a fan for so long or vice versa? you can admit there has been a steady drop off since 2000, but manson and twiggy keep saying the next album will be better than anti christ, so we get our hopes up, lots of manson fans comment on youtube and happen to share the same view as me, that nothing too exciting has been happening with this band for a while, if even a twiggy return can't help change direction, then we may never hear the original marilyn manson that we liked, i think the last album was good, but by no means can brian warners relationships be a replacement fuel for the story of marilyn manson

This post is something of a cluster-fuck so I'm not even sure where to start. You seem to be including everyone in your opinion, which is selfish, Manson's fanbase is diverse, and a couple of comments on YouTube (of all godforsaken forums) is hardly indicative of the hundreds and thousands of people all around the globe who love each stage of what Manson does.
I don't remember Manson or Twiggy saying The High End Of Low would be "better" than Antichrist Superstar, even if that album was mentioned in passing when discussing it. If there's a quote I've not read about that though, please share it, I'd be interested to hear what was said.

Twiggy's return emphatically did change the band's direction, given that The High End Of Low and EAT ME, DRINK ME sound nothing like each other, so I'm not sure what you're meaning there. The last album was also focused on numerous different subjects, not solely on relationships Manson's been in, so if people are missing those other commentaries that's their fault really, not Manson's.

Reverend
02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Disliked by whom, exactly? I very rarely hear criticism of the song, and personally love it. Sweeping statements should have some validity or there's little point in making them. Also, I thought the topic was about Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon, not We're From America?

I know lots of fans who have been listening to his albums since Antichrist Superstar, and before. Few of them are ignorant enough to bypass what Manson's been saying since day one; everything that he does is Marilyn Manson. If that's not the sort of Marilyn Manson you like at any given time, then that's a sore point for you, but it's still Marilyn Manson. If you want a band to remake the same albums over and over again, then you're essentially asking them to make no progression, and become stagnant.

"Anyone who remains static is not only unimaginative but is being safe. The real safe thing for me would be to make another album like Antichrist Superstar, look the same way I looked, and say the same things in interviews. But I've grown tired of that. There's lots more to explore." - MM, 1998

This post is something of a cluster-fuck so I'm not even sure where to start. You seem to be including everyone in your opinion, which is selfish, Manson's fanbase is diverse, and a couple of comments on YouTube (of all godforsaken forums) is hardly indicative of the hundreds and thousands of people all around the globe who love each stage of what Manson does.
I don't remember Manson or Twiggy saying The High End Of Low would be "better" than Antichrist Superstar, even if that album was mentioned in passing when discussing it. If there's a quote I've not read about that though, please share it, I'd be interested to hear what was said.

Twiggy's return emphatically did change the band's direction, given that The High End Of Low and EAT ME, DRINK ME sound nothing like each other, so I'm not sure what you're meaning there. The last album was also focused on numerous different subjects, not solely on relationships Manson's been in, so if people are missing those other commentaries that's their fault really, not Manson's.

Fair enough. I was just ranting cause I miss the old Manson so much :/

Reverend
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
What's your favorite albums? I like Anti Christ and Holy Wood / Mechanical Animals tie for second. I though Eat Me Drink Me was better than THEOL because I found THEOL an eclectic collection like the songs didnt all fit together.

Reverend
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Not here to cause arguments, by the way

S.D.
01-31-2018, 06:17 AM
Just stopping by to say that I think with two guitarists, Manson should add this to the setlists again.

We've seen how much justice they've been doing to older songs, and the Heaven Upside Down material, Arma...Geddon could be strong as fuck with this line up.

maniac82
01-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Just stopping by to say that I think with two guitarists, Manson should add this to the setlists again.

We've seen how much justice they've been doing to older songs, and the Heaven Upside Down material, Arma...Geddon could be strong as fuck with this line up.

I personally dont miss it ,i always thought it was one of his most boring song/single

Hazekiah
02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
I really love that song. The only thing I really hated about the live performance of it was that they used the pre-recorded track sample for the "Fuck...Eat, Kill, now do it again" It just made it sound cheesy and took you out of the intensity of the performance. Not that it was an "intense" song...or heavy or whatever....but... I don't know. I hate when band's do that for a big and important part of the song. It's fine if they sample some subtle keyboards or something almost undetectable....but this was obvious...and pointless. He could have easily sung that. It was like...too fast to sing live or something. Hell, atleast have another band member sing back up vocals on that part if Manson couldnt do it...they didnt need to sample it.

I love the song but I fully agree with Mike 1,000% on this one.

It never came off particularly well live onstage, largely because of the overabundance of pre-recorded vocals in what was otherwise a visceral, live rock show.

:-\

S.D.
03-01-2018, 01:59 AM
Even more reason for Manson to utilise what is now surely a much stronger live band to give Arma...Geddon the presence it deserves! I think it was written and performed at a time when he might have been enjoying a renewed relationship with Twiggy, but Ginger was getting ready to leave, Vrenna was doing whatever, and Manson was raging at Interscope. Next time Tyler tours with the band they should try it out!

Pink Pope
03-01-2018, 01:24 PM
If I were to see Manson live, I would choose any other song rather that Arma-Goddamn-Motherfucking-Geddon. To me it sounds flat, quite boring and simply not fresh enough. We're From America instead, being that simple, it seems to be a much better song (to me, of course) than the other.

It's weird because in that album songs like Wight Spider that are slower and less heavier in their pace, have such a power that is lacking in the singles somehow, when they were and still are usually loud and iconic, like The Beautiful People Disposable Teens, Rock is Dead, mOBSCENE, This is The New Shit, Deep Six, We Kknow Were You Fucking Live...

S.D.
03-02-2018, 03:09 AM
Don't get me wrong, there's countless other songs I'd prefer to see live or that I think the band could do adequate justice to, but I had a craving for Arma...Geddon after listening to it recently, and there was a topic discussing that very thing, so.

If the band are happy and there's time to rehearse stuff, I'd support seeing a re-entry single every leg of a tour, doesn't matter what it is, it's just nice to see different line-ups interpret different songs.

Norsefire
03-02-2018, 01:13 PM
I would love to see this live again, fully support this!

Hazekiah
03-02-2018, 02:42 PM
I like the part where Twiggy came back and had to play a bunch of Skold stuff then as soon as he's gone Manson starts playing old Twiggy stuff, lol.

theimpaler
07-16-2018, 07:38 PM
I like the part where Twiggy came back and had to play a bunch of Skold stuff then as soon as he's gone Manson starts playing old Twiggy stuff, lol.

This...except 'old twiggy' stuff is primarily post-EMDM.

Golden Eel
07-17-2018, 02:16 AM
I'm just glad that, out of all the songs in Manson's discography eternally neglected, there's a three page thread dedicated to crying about "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon" not being played. No more fitting song to warrant such a discussion.

JT_
07-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Loved that song when I first heard it, couldn't wait to hear it live, heard it live and it was a total disappointment that sounded like garbage.