PDA

View Full Version : A Nightmare on Elm Street Remake

secretsquirrely
09-28-2009, 03:05 AM
The teaser trailer has fucking landed! And I have to say, despite the very Gossip Girl-looking cast, this looks pretty damn cool. I'm not as terrified by the trailer as I was with the old ones....but I'm also not 10 anymore. Hopefully this will deliver the terror it's supposed to, and put Freddy back on the map as everyone's childhood trauma.

Also, check out that makeup job, bery interesting!

My only real complaint thus far is the child's nursery rhyme...pure fail in my opinion. The one used in Freddy vs Jason was chilling, but these girls are not scary at all...then again this is an "all approved" teaser trailer with all the blood cut out.

[youtube:18xueyhn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-VypM2KYY4[/youtube:18xueyhn]

Mi-CroMartie
09-28-2009, 04:18 AM
Freddy's voice is a bit off... I want Englund back. :( Make-up scary: check. Freddy voice: Undecided. Englund's the best Freddy Krueger of all time!!! :p

secretsquirrely
09-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Yeah I hear that a lot lol Keeping in mind we have never seen a single person portray the character other than Englund, I can understand that the public are not too accepting of the idea. However, I really think Englund was one of the reasons Freddy became cheesy to begin with. I just rewatched a lot of scenes form old Freddy films and seriously, apart from the first Nightmare and Wes Craven's New Nightmare, I didn't feel much.

As for voice, I agree...so far Haley's voice isn't giving me chills, but neither did Englund. I always found his appearance and idea much more frightening.

All I really have to say is the tone better be a bit more up to par than the trailer suggests, so far it's very cut and dry slasher material without any spooky other worldly quality.

Then again it's not a finished product and they probably want to really surprise people.

As far as the make up goes, holy shit they actually accurately made him look like a burn victim O_O kudos there.

ShelfLife
09-28-2009, 05:17 AM
"Oh noes! I iz burning! Look at my oh-so-red-and-black-striped jumper!"

Sorry, but directors always seem to fall into that trap when making remakes, or sequels or prequels. They take what remained iconic in the original, then they feel like they have to practically frame it with a ring of lights. As though the audience wasn't already aware of what they were watching.

I wish remakes stopped being remakes and were instead re-imaginings. If someone wants to see the original, they will - after all, now with DVD and Blu-Ray, it's not like there's an issue with quality. If you're going to make another version of an already existing movie, at least bring something unique and original to the table, instead of just doing what they did last time with more current actors and better effects. And if you're going to reference what you're remaking, do it subtly.

I'm afraid that, apart from above rant, I don't have much to say about the trailer. I'll reserve judgment until I see the film.

secretsquirrely
09-28-2009, 05:31 AM
You make a good point there. I luled a little bit as well with the DUN DUN DUN of the sweater. But then again, it's a trailer and usually they take different shots for trailers than with the actual product. Hopefully he's actually on fucking fire and frantically ripping his clothes off at that point.

Same with the slashed up children...you know they are going to be drinched with blood and entrails in the actual film...if not, I will boo and hiss really loud. Same goes for Tina flying up in the sky like in the original....if she doesn't flop like a fish and get filetted like one, I will be frowny like I was with Spider-man 3

ImNotJesus
09-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Like others, I shall reserve judgement till I see the film, but can I say, I'm sure I know where the makeup design came from:

Jacqueline Saburido
http://content.ll-0.com/spiritlink/word_images/6875856_image002.jpg
http://www.helpjacqui.com/home.htm

On the voice, it sounds to me too much like a voice under a large amount of prosthetic makeup, and nowhere near as scary as it should be.

Having said that, I can't imagine a better actor to play Freddy.

AlcoholicArtist
09-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Jacqueline Saburido

Omg that's so fucking sad :(

Jakob Synn
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Michael Bay needs to stop doing fucking remakes. Just because you're successful and can, doesn't mean you should.

Dronepool
09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Eh, it looks mediocre but I don't think I'll see it. Unless some person or some type of events intertwine with my decision. I don't think that I really care. I like Freddy, but not enough to be curious about this.

Holocaust_King
09-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't give a crap if they remake this or any other movie, unless Michael Bay sends out storm troopers to kick down everyone's door and burn all copies of the original film.

The only good (not great) NOES movies were the original, Dream Warriors, and A New Nightmare.
After NOES 4, 5, Freddy's Dead, Freddy Vs. Jason... it's not like Michael Bay is exactly defiling sacred ground here.

The same goes for any reboot of a long-running series.
Who the fuck cares?

As for the trailer, by the looks of it so far, I already have this movie sitting on my shelf.

I have no vested interest in remakes either way and usually ignore them unless they offer a new vision or different approach to the material.

Norsefire
09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I didn't like the trailer, it didn't really have anything new in it. I might as well watch the original from the looks of it.

I will probably get this when its out on DVD and when it is on sale.

CellarOwl
09-29-2009, 06:15 AM
The original films all worked because the character was an unsympathetic child molester making sick jokes at every shot. Michael Bay's sticking to his craft here: a totally unnecessary director doing a totally unnecessary and suddenly hyper-serious remake. All they're missing is a totally unnecessary soundtrack with Drowning Pool on it.

I'm surprised it doesn't have the subtag "Let the bodies hit the floor."

I'll stick with the originals.

secretsquirrely
09-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Well for the record, I'm pretty sure Bay's involvement is almost name only. Fuller is the producer who has actually gone out there and done the PR, demanded shit, etc...granted he's a douche who kept saying shit like "this is going to be so much more enjoyable than the original"...but meh producers can talk all they want.

As for the soundtrack...oh it'll come...look what they did with TCM and F13...useless as fuck. Whereas Jablonsky gets shafted on having a CD release of his excellent score for F13 -_-

CellarOwl
09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Oh no, he's become the Jerry Bruckheimer of blockbuster reboots. A copy of a copy of a copy.

S.Hal0mega.B
10-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Lovely, looks like it might be decent

DecayingSinner
10-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Jacqueline Saburido

Omg that's so fucking sad :(

Why should I be surprised and shocked at the utter lack of humor? I just went through all the drunk driving classes because of a DUI and this poor woman has suffered tremendously from a drunk driver and has fought to function at a capacity that is inconceivable. Not only has she done that, but she has put her energy towards public speaking.

So for the trailer:
Not having England involved, I am quite impressed. For those of us who are die hard Freddy fans, yea, you can tell it's not Freddy, but it might as well be the next best thing(off a two minute trailer). This movie could be bad ass as a remake. Looks like it's combining some of one and two(particularly the pool scene). I hope it's left at that. Looking forward to this and will see it in theaters.

secretsquirrely
02-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Second and full trailer with plot elements has finally been presented! Sadly it is not on Youtube quite yet, so I must post a link form MySpace. This looks 500x better than the first trailer. I still need to get used to Freddy's voice sounding all like soft Rorschach, but the story and elements they are using are classic Elm Street. Especially the doctor at the end.

Also, I love the inclusion of the sarcasm: "Why are you screaming? I haven't even cut you yet."

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=103206439

ThreeEyedGod
02-25-2010, 03:05 AM
That looks so overblown.
I think Nightmare 2 is the most underrated.

secretsquirrely
02-25-2010, 04:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFkSVJmobA

hoorah! They uped it on Youtube, enjoy.

Joker
02-25-2010, 04:08 AM
I think Jackie Earl Haley makes an excellent Freddy. And the new makeup looks pretty awesome to me, but there's still a lot of potential to fuck it up in the actual movie. Either way, I think I'll reserve judgement until I've actually watched.

And it can't be worse than the bloody Wolfman...

DecayingSinner
02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
This preview looks much better than the first. Not quite sure what to think of this version of Freddy. His voice is quite noticeably different (which it should be) and he is slender than Robert Englund, buy this movie looks quite promising. I can't wait to see this.

VelvetAIDS
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, I saw it last night. Aside from the rather dissapointing wall streching moment...the film is actually worth watching. The transition (if you can even call it that) between Reality and Dream World is done seamlessly. Freddy is definately serious and the small amount of humor in his dialogue still gives you a sense of insecurity with an occasional chuckle. It was impressive to see a lack of horror cliches and the violence and blood wasn't cheesy and overdone. Honestly...just go with an open mind and watch the damn thing.

Remake or not...it was pretty damn good. Don't let the fact Michael Bay was involved scare you. His influence isn't there. Kudos to Samuel Bayer.

Mi-CroMartie
05-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah well, Robert Englund IS FREDDY. ANYONE who plays Freddy is just plain blasphemy on the horror "ICON."

VelvetAIDS
05-01-2010, 06:58 PM
^^ Originally i thought that way. After seeing this...you know...It's a damn close call.

Mi-CroMartie
05-01-2010, 07:07 PM
OK, I'll give it a watch but not on an account of a theater. I'd rather waste my hard drive GB Space than my money on a theater. Cos these days, my local theaters are having this censorship which allows them to cut out the goriest of the gore scenes..

VelvetAIDS
05-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Say what? O.o
That's rediculous!

Mi-CroMartie
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
My 3rd world country is full of pussy wussies who loove to censor violence yet it's ok for them to show nudity and sex. Hypocritical tapeworms.

Speaking of which, I was totally a huuuge fan of Freddy's Nightmares TV Series. Used to watch it alot on local cable when I was 12-14 I think... Hehe. I loooved.

And this is the best episode on Season 1. I loooved Freddy's backstory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6yOdTYwdI

And this one too: Ha, I noticed in the trailer, the springwood diner looks the same as in this one! Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cTTfbwztQ

ThreeEyedGod
05-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Speaking of which, I was totally a huuuge fan of Freddy's Nightmares TV Series.

Win!

New "freddy" movie?Fail.

DecayingSinner
05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
To watch it in the theater or not? I'm still undecided.

secretsquirrely
05-04-2010, 11:57 PM
I know I'm watching this beast in cinemas...but I still have to wait a few weeks -_- So far the reviews are mixed, but just about every negative review is as expected..people who just shit on either horror films in general or remakes in general, and have no real valid opinions. The positive reviews so far have at least given insight to that "no it's not perfect, but it's good enough...better than F13 anyway" which is good enough for me :D

S.Hal0mega.B
05-05-2010, 07:05 AM
according to IMDB this director (aside from the stupidity of doing Greenday and Blink 182 videos directed (or co-) Rock is Dead and Coma White's music videos. Just a bit of info. And jeez, i hope the actor playing freddy doesnt loop himself into this same thing the original actor did, as this guy has talent outside playing just this role.... im sure we've all seen the watchmen - well see little children and im sure you'll agree.

YDG
05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah I saw it last week. My friend didn't wanna go alone and he paid for me, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered lol. It wasn't really that terrible though. However I did not like the dude playin Freddy. Well, I didn't like the way his face looked, lol. But it was alright, coulda been worse.

VelvetAIDS
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah I saw it last week. My friend didn't wanna go alone and he paid for me, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered lol. It wasn't really that terrible though. However I did not like the dude playin Freddy. Well, I didn't like the way his face looked, lol. But it was alright, coulda been worse.

I actually kinda liked the realistic burn victim look. But that's just me. *shrugs*