PDA

View Full Version : Oct 13th 2009 - Enmore Theatre - Syd, AUS.

ImNotJesus
10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Second, recently announced Sydney show.

Tell us who's going, chat about meet ups and chat about the show afterwards.

------

I'm going, so happy this one was announced, otherwise I couldn't have seen them this year!

ShelfLife
10-05-2009, 01:24 AM
I won't be going to the concert (much to my regret, I'd love to see him at the Enmore), but I'll be just up the road at Newtown, so I'll probably drop down and say hi. :3

Mary
10-05-2009, 06:07 AM
I'll be attending this one also. :)

And ShelfLife, why aren't you going to this one as well?
If money was the issue, I'm pretty sure they're selling tickets half price now to sell out the venue!

ShelfLife
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm surprised the tickets are still on sale.

The offer is mighty tempting, but unless the tickets were half-price, I can't really afford it. I'm but a poor art student, and I can't really afford to splurge on two concerts in one week. Still, I'm really tempted...

The Empirical Guy
10-06-2009, 04:38 AM
I'll be there. Make sure you come say hi if you see me, as I'm notoriously bad at recognising people off the internet that I haven't met IRL before.

ShelfLife
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I think we're all going to have to carry big signs saying "I AM SHELFLIFE!" or something. Or I'm just going to walk up and down the line screaming, "PROVIDER MODULE! ASSEMBLE!"

:P

ImNotJesus
10-06-2009, 05:24 PM
^^^

Omg, totally do it.

The Empirical Guy
10-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I think we're all going to have to carry big signs saying "I AM SHELFLIFE!" or something. Or I'm just going to walk up and down the line screaming, "PROVIDER MODULE! ASSEMBLE!"

:P

Yep, let's do it!

theminister
10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I'll be at this show as well :)

By the way, the other night I was at the Vanguard (King St, Newtown - not too far from the Enmore) and noticed they have Mansinthe!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!

ShelfLife
10-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Right. I'll be checking out the queue sometime between 5 and 6. Empirical, crippled_plaything and ImNotJesus, I've searched out photos of you guys and I've studied your faces - with any luck, I might be able to pick you guys out of the crowd.

If you see me, I'm all elbows and shoulderblades and lank with a brown bob somewhere around my shoulders. I haven't decided on what I'm going to wear, but a large black rose should be somewhere in the mix. If you see me, say hi. :3

ImNotJesus
10-12-2009, 06:49 AM
I'll be wearing a rare(ish) Manson singlet with a little design on the front that reads Marilyn Manson and 'The End' on the front, and lyrics to Antichrist Superstar on the back.

S.D.
10-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Have a wonderful time Mary Lady, I will be thinking of you.

:)

And everyone else should have a nice time as well, of course...

Ten points if people do walk around shouting "Provider Module!" at the top of their lungs as well. Vids or it didn't happen!

Take care guys, and have an excellent show!

Mary
10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Aw Rossi, as will I. <3

If anyone wants to say hello, I'll be the one who will most likely be coughing/sneezing, wrapped in blankets and drinking tea with some kind of a large bow in her hair.

And Shelflife, I'm actually pretty convinced we met in 07. I stood under your umbrella and we sang cake and sodomy. I think that was you... you were also with a bald guy, Lindsey? Don't try and recognise me from then, I look quite different now.

If I don't see you, I hope you all have a lovely time!

6am.... Wednesday morning, I should start getting ready. :)

ShelfLife
10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Oh crap, we must have met! I was thinking, "Umbrella, no not me..." but I was definitely with a bald-Lyndsay at that point! Dang, my memory is a lot worse than I thought.

Looking forward to seeing you again this time!

ImNotJesus
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Wow, it's been a while since I put on makeup outside of the theatre.

I'm feeling all nostalgic for my gothy days. Woot.

Heading off soon, can't wait :P

The Empirical Guy
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
This show was awesome. Probably my favourite of the 3 I went to. Great to see them in such a small, intimate venue. I was parked on the barrier right in front of Ginger and Andy the whole show. Setlist:

We're From America
Disposable Teens
Pretty As A Swastika
The Love Song
Irresponsible Hate Anthem
Devour
Dried Up, Tied And Dead To The World
Four Rusted Horses
The Dope Show
Leave A Scar
Rock Is Dead
Sweet Dreams
Rock 'n' Roll Nigger
The Beautiful People

I'm not sure if that's 100% correct but it's what I can remember best I can.

Manson seemed in a very different mood to the Melbourne show a couple of days earlier, at one point he started throwing his mic stand around the stage and threw the mic into Ginger's drums. It may have been something to do with the dumb girl in the front row who didn't get the memo re:Evan and was wearing heart shaped glasses. Manson jumped down off stage and snatched them straight off her head. I doubt they remained in one piece.

It was nice to see him with Twiggy though. Manson took a moment to declare him his "best friend in the whole world", to which Twiggy responded with a tap on Manson's ass. Possibly a personal highlight for me, though, was in We're From America. Me and my girlfriend had made a sign that simply read "AIDS" that we were waving around when the curtain dropped. As soon as he saw it he started waving at me to give it to him so I threw it up on stage and he started waving it around before draping it over Twiggy's shoulders. They both seemed to get a kick out of it. If any one has or finds photos or video of them with the sign I'd muchly appreciate you pointing me towards it.

Also nice to meet crippled_plaything and Shelflife and get to talk to some people from here in person for a change, lovely to meet you both.

Some of may have seen my photo with "S.D" written on the door of the Melbourne venue. Well, we found this in an alleyway just by the Enmore. I swear it is not me writing these things!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/TheEmpiricalGuy/phphC2B2tAM.jpg

EDIT: Here's some great quality shots from the show, including some with my AIDS sign, though you can't read it in the shots. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetacid/ ... 583547576/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetacid/sets/72157622583547576/)

ImNotJesus
10-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Twas a decent show, more intimate than last time, so that was a plus! A few things disappointed me throughout, but generally decent.

Also, I saw the AIDS sign, props on the good work!

I was standing up the back watching THE ART, who were good. I turn to my right, and wouldn't you know it, Ginger was there right next to me enjoying them too :)

Pity I didn't grow some testicles and say 'hi'. Kicking myself :(

The Empirical Guy
10-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Twas a decent show, more intimate than last time, so that was a plus! A few things disappointed me throughout, but generally decent.

Also, I saw the AIDS sign, props on the good work!

I was standing up the back watching THE ART, who were good. I turn to my right, and wouldn't you know it, Ginger was there right next to me enjoying them too :)

Pity I didn't grow some testicles and say 'hi'. Kicking myself :(

I saw Ginger there, and was placed in the terrible situation of not being able to decide whether to go and talk to him or stay and hold my place on the barrier. I kind of wish I had now, though no doubt if I had I'd regret not being up front. Damn swords and their double-edges.

theminister
10-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Great work Empirical Guy!
I didn't realise what pissed Marilyn off to start with.
The show was pretty awesome!!! The next night was better of course as Marilyn was in a better mood and it was a better/bigger venue. I was front row too but near Twiggy. Such a lovely touch when Manson came down to lift the chin of the girl who hurt her back, who was sitting trying to get up with security for what seemed like forever.

Band in good form; especially Marilyn. Awesome setlist, particularly with Dried Up! Wished they did Tourniquet though. And Running To The Edge of the World. But still, bloody great set! So good having Twiggy back; it has got Marilyn going again :)

I recorded the audio of the show so keep an eye out for it on here soon :)

The Empirical Guy
11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
has any one been able to find more photos or videos of this show yet? Every one seems to have concentrated on documenting the hordern show. I'm still trying to find something of Manson with the AIDS sign, despite multiple pro photographers up front it seems to have not been captured?? :S

MArshall
12-14-2009, 07:38 AM
SIgh. i want this fortnight all over again!! this show was really different to all the others, i think it was because Manson was in such a ?pissy mood?? compared to the melbourne shows, and even the show the next night. but he was funny, i loved some of the pot-shots he was saying like 'this song was probably written before half you girls in the front row were born!!' lol and him loving the girl he tackled to the ground and wanting her to get a tshirt coz she had big, well, you know, OO!! was good night. but i thought the melbourne shows were better music wise. this was interesting-entertaining.

The Empirical Guy
04-21-2010, 06:00 AM
LELZ, look what I just found. Review of the show from Voltage Media, where our AIDS sign gets a little mention haha

With the return of Marilyn Manson and his troupe of ghouls for the first time since the release of “Eat Me, Drink Me” over two years ago, 13th of October saw the night children of Sydney crawl out in their ominous best, to welcome the American Antichrist!
Touring on the back of their latest “The High End of Low”, Brian Warner has finally reunited with Twiggy Ramirez, and including Andy Gerold on bass, Ginger Fish on drums, and Chris Vrenna on keys and percussion, they turned the Enmore Theatre into a gloomy fest of the night breed.
Sydney’s The Art, formerly known as The FolloW, was the only support for the night. Playing in a genre fitting its own description, the only band that to some extent comes to mind with regards to their latest offerings is The Smashing Pumpkins, however with their own, unique and twisted atmosphere. Having recently returned from a long stay in the US to record for their latest release, they delivered a set consisting of mostly new material – with one special exception!
Opening fittingly with “Newtown”, The Art gave off an abundance of energy, predominantly from the charismatic and androgynous front man Azaria. The crowd seemed to hold a number of fans; however those who came solely for Marilyn Manson did little above polite applause. With Steven on drums, Jak on guitars and the beautiful KJ on bass, the quartet gave to those who loved and remember them as The FolloW a “self portrait” in the form on “Indecisive Weirdo” which was fantastic to hear, however created a greater want for more off their 2004 album “Empty Orchestra”.
Finishing the supporting set, The Art walked off stage leaving a curtain to fall and cover the theater – which for the next half-an-hour created much false excitement for the manic crowd below. With smoke coming from edges, the screaming reverberated through the Enmore Theatre, only to be answered with another track filling void. Finally, with lights dimming and the first silhouettes appearing behind the sheet, the crowd erupted once more to greet Marilyn Manson upon the stage.
Tearing into “We’re From America”, unfolding a white sheet emblazoned with "AIDS", Marilyn wasted no time in showing his hatred toward the media, taking a camera off one of the photographers, proceeding to take imagery of his face, and finishing by yelling at the flock to “run away, run away”! The set was heavily laced with songs from the latest “The High End of Low” including; “Pretty as a Swastika” - which featured dollar signs forming the swastika and running on the walls – “Devour”, “Leave a Scar” as well as the menacing “Four Rusted Horses”.
With that, there were enough older songs thrown in to sate the frenzied crowd, who delivered the greatest scream-a-longs to “Disposable Teens”, “The Love Song” and “Rock Is Dead”. With a massive chant of “We hate love! We love hate!” building and coming to a crescendo erupted “Irresponsible Hate Anthem”, which saw the irate swarm beneath thrashing in unison.
Opening the set with fantastic strobe lighting, it was to prove a constant in the effort placed toward this show. With a myriad of costume changes between songs, including top hats, hard hats, draping himself in an Australian flag and props of pill bottles - never forgetting the butcher knife microphone - as well as other brilliant lighting effects present, there was a down side as Ginger Fish and Chris Vrenna literally became one with the black smoke at the back of stage, and any movement in their direction made it difficult to see either Brian or Twiggy.
With the protesters from the bible-belt long gone, so is the fundamental notoriety of Marilyn Manson. His antics on stage are always entertaining, however holding a Bible in hand and throwing it into the crowd can hardly be seen as anything but a symbolic action in connection with his music.
Coming to a close with two covers; “Sweet Dreams”, and the hard hitting metaphor that is “Rock ‘n’ Roll Nigger”, Manson asked the adoring swarm beneath his feet “how does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?” finishing the set with colossal “The Beautiful People”. Throughout the show there seemed to be a great anger beaming from Marilyn, one that was reminiscent to that of being fed up – and that transcended the stage bringing toward a solid performance, reflected by a fanatical crowd – who, I am sure, anticipate a return!
Sauce: http://voltagemedia.com.au/news/2009/10/19/marilyn-manson-w-art-sydney

It's nice to see a lengthy review that's all positive and not having to resort to the childish put-downs and weight comments so many turn to these days.

Dysmorphia
04-21-2010, 05:48 PM
unfolding a white sheet emblazoned with "AIDS"

Yay my AIDS banner! That was my dead grandmother's pillow case. She would be so impressed. :D