PDA

View Full Version : Do what you will....

The Empress
11-07-2009, 06:53 PM
'Do what you will shall be the whole of the law'
as Aleister Crowley said.
Whilst I agree that realising the true self through pleasure is a fine way to live, I would add a proviso, that you should cause no harm whilst doing so (unless your companion in pleasure requests it!), seriously, though, I would hold 'Do what you will but harm none' to be a more intelligent 'law' by which to live.
('Intelligent' in the true sense, as 'inte - legere' to 'read into'.)
It is not the easy route.
But it's a long hard road....

What do you think?

Miss Lisa
11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
How would you define 'harm'?

For example: I could eat a ton a fatty foods and become obese, and it could be argued to be harmful to taxpayers when I go to the National Health Service because my body can't take the strain of my lifestyle.

That's a pretty long shot, but it can be difficult to live without affecting others in some way.

S.D.
11-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Perhaps "Do what thou wilt, lest it harm others, and yourself shall be the whole of the law" would be a more prudent re-imagining? That said, without wishing to sound cavalier, there are some people in the world that deserve, truly, to be "hurt", and no, I don't necessarily mean physically, so the phrase is eternally malleable or available for debate. Advice given to me once, which I feel to be comparable in this instance was "Never be afraid to know you're right", which coupled with my own, evergreen motto that "you've been lied to" means that the modern human should always watch their back, otherwise someone will fuck you in the ass.

So, do what thou wilt? Sure, enjoy the spiritual, carnal and cultural delights of whichever place you currently reside in, but don't forget to have ethics, boundaries, and a good reason for doing whatever it is you want. After all, what a person "wants" isn't always what they "need", and speaking as someone who is fairly frugal and enjoys it, sometimes less really is more.

[god]speed
11-09-2009, 03:10 AM
I thought Love is the Law, Love Under Will took care of the rest of that?

S.D.
11-09-2009, 03:25 AM
I thought Love is the Law, Love Under Will took care of the rest of that?

Only if it's adhered to. Crowley might have been a clever man, but he was still an asshole, so what does that have to do with love? Sometimes the greater virtue is in being able to look at someone laying down "laws" and dispell them, whether you respect their philosophy or not. Thelema might be a powerful doctrine, but like any other, it has flaws, and they deserve to be scrutinised, no one text is the absolute.
Take nothing as set in stone, always question. If love is the law, but doing what thou wilt is also the law, then does that mean you only do the things you love, or that you do things and say that they justifiable because you love them? It's one thing to recite something and another to recite something and be able to back it up, perhaps that's why Crowley was perceived as a shit?

Shangri-LIE
01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't believe in the concept or practice of total Anarchy, or any autonomous state for that matter. Yes, choas and control must co-exist as a tao for all life itself to properley function and flourish. However, there must be boundaries. There must be codes that are to be adhered to. That does not mean that those boundaries should never be attempted to be pushed. It simply means to push the boundaries but with great responsibility. We all have free will, but willpower itself requires discipline, and if you want to be wreckless with that will power, then you have to understand the law of consequences.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Thelema
01-14-2010, 05:25 AM
speed;50427']I thought Love is the Law, Love Under Will took care of the rest of that?

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well.
I also want to add that when I think Crowley said "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law..." he was referring to the importance of destiny. Stepping on toes should never be a concern above ones own destiny. I also think the wording of this philosophy implies that destiny is not fulfilled by sitting on ones ass. Doing what thou wilt implies action.