PDA

View Full Version : The Office U.K. vs. The Office U.S.

Shangri-LIE
12-30-2009, 05:56 AM
I guess it depends on what side of the pond you are on, or what type of humour you prefer. I own every season of both "versions" that have been released so far. No doubt that Ricky Gervais created a brilliant phenomenon that was shortlived in the U.K. but managed to skip across to the U.S. without the torch being extinguished. I like to get opinions on this. For you cult followers of this program which one do you prefer? Do you enjoy them both equally? Should it have been left to just the 2 season series? Discuss, I'm tired so forgive me for being lackluster.

Emma
12-30-2009, 06:10 AM
The Office US was okay but this was still inherently a British sitcom with British humour that I just felt worked better with the original program. The original series' were intended to be only a couple of seasons because it was always intended to be a fly on the wall kind of documentary style of comedy which would only work for so long, instead of season after season after season - therefore the joke didn't start to wear thin.

Method Man
12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
The US Version has nothing in the UK version.

R_Flagg
12-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I like the UK version better, the US one suffers from going on for too long.

Dronepool
12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't know the difference, the one they show on Fox before The Simpsons bores me though. Maybe it'll grow on me? I find it hard to enjoy.

Shangri-LIE
12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
True statements. I do enjoy it though, primarily because I am a fan of Steve Carell, and Rainn Wilson. I have every episode of the U.K. version and I watch them over and over around this time of year, for unsaid sentimental reasons. I am also a fan of Ricky Gervais, not because of his "wizardry" on the Office, but his other stuff like "Animals", "Extras"..etc..

So, for me, I enjoy both because each version features a few of my favorite actors. Even though I still find the American version to be hillarious and brilliant, I was more INTO the U.K. version, just because it was, like Emma said, a "Fly on the wall joke." Well, that wasn't a direct quote, but I actually felt an emotional attachment to those shows. I actually was on the brink of crying when "David Brent" got fired. The American version to me is something that I watch just to have a laugh to.

Seven
12-31-2009, 05:00 AM
I was very disappointed by the US version, it just isn't funny to me. The UK original is a true classic. My favourite ever clip is where they put the guys stapler in green jelly, it makes me cry with laughter every single time I see it.

Shangri-LIE
12-31-2009, 05:52 AM
I was very disappointed by the US version, it just isn't funny to me. The UK original is a true classic. My favourite ever clip is where they put the guys stapler in green jelly, it makes me cry with laughter every single time I see it.

Yeah, that was great. I love when Brent reads the poem "Excalibur". Sometimes I recite it to people, especially girls and tell them that I wrote it just for them.

*sings

"If you don't know me by nowOW" *falls to knees "IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME-AHH"

lmfao

oggie oggie oggie, oi oi oi

Not Mechanical
01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I like both versions and I think Ricky Gervais is excellent. His stand up shows are brilliant.
I prefer the US version of the Office, though, which seems to be an unpopular opinion when I've revealed it to fellow Brits. I love Steve Carell and Rainn Wilson, the character of Dwight is incredible and they work so well together.
I feel more of an 'attachment' to the characters in the US version, although I haven't seen Season 5 yet. I never know when they show it in the UK.

Norsefire
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I didn't like the Office to start with when it was first aired in the UK, then I watched it properly and it was pretty good so I got the DVD box set and by that time it was on sale as well, so it was all good.

I saw one US episode and it just wasn't the same, wasn't as funny and it didn't make me want to watch anymore either.

Shangri-LIE
01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I agree with Not Mechanical, Dwight and Micheal Scott is an incredible tandum. For those who detest the U.S. version, and this is just my opinion, I think that it is due in part to the sensationalism that surrounded the original version, the cult following it developed, and the fact that it is EXTREMLEY risky to spin off of such a classic smash. To fail could most definatley be career assasination. But I think that the writers/actors/producers etc..of the American version have done more than an exceptional job at making this a paramount sitcom.

Shangri-LIE
01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I agree with Not Mechanical. Dwight and Micheal Scott is an incredible tandum. For those who detest the U.S. version, and this is just my opinion, I think that it is due in part to the sensationalism that surrounded the original version, the cult following it developed, and the fact that it is EXTREMLEY risky to spin off of such a classic smash. To fail could most definatley be career assasination. But I think that the writers/actors/producers etc..of the American version have done more than an exceptional job at making this a paramount sitcom.

Anima XI
01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I've never seen the UK version, but I've seen the US one and I think it's pretty funny. Steve Carrell is hilarious on that show =D

Not Mechanical
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Steve Carell is constantly hilarious.
He's just like one big ball of funny.