PDA

View Full Version : Daybreakers.

Mi-CroMartie
01-09-2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayYiMygqlfo

Can I say Underworld minus Kate Beckinsale and Lycans? :p

I wanna see this. Despite the world population in this movie are vampire dominants while humans are plain blood cattle or oftentimes absent on-screen.

ShelfLife
01-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Interesting use of "Running Up That Road" by Placebo. And I'm also happy to see Claudia Karvan taking on what looks like a major role - I've seen her in a few Australian television series, it's nice to see her breaking into the international market. Apart from that, I think I've had enough vampire-related shit to last me a lifetime.

Mi-CroMartie
01-09-2010, 06:49 PM
^ Ha. You sound like that IMDB poster because ever since Twilight movies came, he gave up on vampires as a whole.. :p

ShelfLife
01-09-2010, 07:17 PM
IMBD poster, eh? I'm sure I'm not the one one with this point of view. I was seriously into vampires for ages. Read Anne Rice, watched Buffy, covered my school books with vampire art, even invented vampire characters that followed me around and chatted to me. And the second I grow out of that obsession with blood and fangs, the entire world talks about vampires as though they're the best thing since sliced bread. All producers need to do these days is use the word vampire, or even the word twilight, and they've got a cash cow right there.

21Faces
01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
It's always supremely irritating when mainstream culture appropriates a beloved part of your adolescence and castrates it- some freakish cash cow for you to watch everyone else fawn over : / I won't be avoiding the film because it's yet another vamp flick, but because it looks beyond awful. Maybe a renter. Maybe.

Peaches
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM
It's always supremely irritating when mainstream culture appropriates a beloved part of your adolescence and castrates it- some freakish cash cow for you to watch everyone else fawn over : / I won't be avoiding the film because it's yet [I]another[/I vamp flick, but because it looks beyond awful. Maybe a renter. Maybe.

I feel exactly the same way. It fucking sucks. I've always loved vampires, and then Twilight happened...*sigh*
This movie also looks completely shit-tastic. I promised a friend I'd see it with her...I am almost 100% positive I will be incredibly disappointed. I like how they used Placebo in the commercials for it though :3

ImNotJesus
01-09-2010, 11:27 PM
I personally like any new take on vampire mythology, or rather, if it's a decent story I will.

Unlike so many others on this board, I overlooked the obvious plot-holes and shoddy writing of the Twilight series, and found myself both intrigued and completely sucked-in to the whole thing. I hate the culture and rediculous fandom surrounding 'Twilight', but I'm well aware that the stories have merrit, even on a basic entertainment level.

This film looks mighty interesting, and I personally can't wait. Sam Neil and Willem Dafoe are two of my favorite actors, and the plot, while not original in any sense, just takes the 'vampire universe' idea to another level.

Bring it on.

Peaches
01-10-2010, 01:11 AM
I'll give you that. Sam Neil and Willem Dafoe for the FUCKING WIN!! I've always loved them...:D Willem Dafoe would make one terrifying vampire.

Funndeath
01-10-2010, 01:31 AM
I completely agree, 21. Like ShelfLife, I was all into Buffy, watched Interview with a Vampire, read Dracula and watched the films, had imaginary vampire friends who came into my room like mist through the ventilator. :)
But now some ugly ass kid in bad makeup is corrupting everything we love about the genre.
As for this movie, I have a weird soft spot for Ethan Hawke, even though I know he's the biggest doucebag ever. But He just seems like the kind of pompous college asshole that you'd hate but end up sleeping with or something. Anyhow, William Defoe is cool. So I might watch this online.when it gets leaked.

ShelfLife
01-10-2010, 02:23 AM
had imaginary vampire friends who came into my room like mist through the ventilator. :)

Oh, that is just delicious. :) Mine weren't that cool (though one figured out how to walk on walls like a spider), they just followed me around, gave me advice, and looked disapprovingly at all my stupid ideas. Even now, when I think of something particularly silly, I can feel their disapproving looks.

Unlike so many others on this board, I overlooked the obvious plot-holes and shoddy writing of the Twilight series, and found myself both intrigued and completely sucked-in to the whole thing. I hate the culture and rediculous fandom surrounding 'Twilight', but I'm well aware that the stories have merrit, even on a basic entertainment level.

Unfortunately for me, I'm so story driven that I can't just sit back and go, "Oh, let's just enjoy it for what it is." If there's a bad story/bad writing/bad dialogue, my skin crawls, which is probably why, for all it's glamour and incredible imagery, I still hate Avatar. The only thing (and I honestly mean the only thing) that I could like about Twilight was that they hunted mountain lions and bears like predators themselves. I liked the idea of human/human-shaped beings being part of the food chain.

S.Hal0mega.B
01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
I agree, with a cast such as Sam Niel and Willem Dafoe my god. It looked 50/50. But then i realised who the directors were (they directed a terrible horror/comedy 6 years ago made here in australia). So in stereotyping their future actions with this my first assumptions were they were going to put a small amount of proper actors n then fill the rest with australians pretending to be americans, mauri (nz native sort of) pulling an american accent? It's fucking weird. Yes I saw it and all these assumptions came true. Its predictable, cashing in on the vampire craze etc. Highlander style quality action - you know - this guy gets a knife almost to his skull but then in a knick of time Willem turns up to shoot the knife thrower.. again, and again etc. It's absent of first rate acting that Sam and Willem can and have pulled off, the dialogue was crap, there's just nice ideas here and there and some nice shots and set designs. Typical that they brought in some australian female actors from soapies here that demonstrated why they never got recognized outside our country in the first place. Sorry for the rant, I just hate how my country adores its actors no matter how bad "oh he was in the matrix, thus he rules" etc etc. (referring to nameless characters in the 2nd and 3rd ones .. .not Smith! llolz)

Any hoot, I think its something to watch if you have a joint around, might make u think this as something special. But jeez Heath Ledger came out of the same soapie that one of the female actors in this film did and he was good from the get go almost. ;)

S.Hal0mega.B
01-13-2010, 08:13 AM
I completely agree, 21. Like ShelfLife, I was all into Buffy, watched Interview with a Vampire, read Dracula and watched the films, had imaginary vampire friends who came into my room like mist through the ventilator. :)
But now some ugly ass kid in bad makeup is corrupting everything we love about the genre.
As for this movie, I have a weird soft spot for Ethan Hawke, even though I know he's the biggest doucebag ever. But He just seems like the kind of pompous college asshole that you'd hate but end up sleeping with or something. Anyhow, William Defoe is cool. So I might watch this online.when it gets leaked.

it is leaked, google watch movies tv, click the first result and search daybreakers, try megavideo or something else - whatever loads for you ;)

Anyhow, i mostly agree with what you said, I enjoyed Ethan in Lord of War.