PDA

View Full Version : Imaginary Friends

ShelfLife
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
A conversation with Funndeath brought this up, so I thought a thread devoted to the unsung heroes of our childhood would make for interesting conversation. Who were they, what did they look like, how long did they stick around? Did you two have adventures a la Calvin and Hobbes? Or did they just watch from the sidelines?

I had one when I was about 2, she stuck around until I was 4 or 5. Her name was Sister-Fievel: at that age, I identified myself with the main character from the animated film An American Tail (who's name is Fievel - he was also a boy but that didn't concern me). Because I was an only child at the time, I figured that I should invent the sister from the film to make it more accurate. I didn't know her name, so I just called her Sister-Fievel. I don't remember her having a fixed look - she was invisible, but that didn't mean she wasn't around or I didn't know where she was. I remember holding her hand whilst walking, and asking my parents to include her in activities.

Then I got a real sister and realised that the real thing wasn't as good as the imaginary version. :P

Oddly enough, I got imaginary friends when I was about 14. I was drawing lots of vampire characters at the time, and the ones that I liked the most would just jump off the pages and join me in a raggle-taggle band of gypsies. I remember my mother being really freaked out by it, but as far as I see it, I was bored and lonely in those days, and life is just more interesting when you're being followed by four vampires and a witch. They were also a means for me to discuss ideas and concepts to myself. My friend also had her own band of "characters", and many laughs were had as we discussed our conversations with them and the silly things they'd been up to. Though most of the time, my vampire friends were too mature for me and just followed me around and rolled their eyes disapprovingly at all my silly ideas.

The thing is, I could distinctly feel when they were around and when they weren't. One year, around Christmas, I just couldn't conjure them, and I was getting really frustrated. A few days later, when my friend came back from wherever she'd been that year, I told her about it, and she said, "Sorry, I took them with me. They just showed up at my window and tagged along."

They vanished distinctly when I got my first boyfriend at 17. He was an end to loneliness and frustration, and all the conversations I wanted to have were had with him, so I didn't need them any more. They still show up once in a while, still looking disapproving whenever I'm being silly.

Anyway, I've shown you mine, you show me yours.

Peaches
01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I have never had an imaginary friend, though one of my best friends did. She talked about him (his name was Tom) so much that he kind of became my imaginary friend; We got involved with each others lives and it was almost like he was a real person, that friend of a friend who you always hear about but never meet. We would make up stories for him, and we'd belike "Remember when Tom....etc etc".

*shrugs*

Sputnik
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I never really had any imaginary friends as I have a lot of siblings to entertain me instead...
I always talked to poster and pictures and stuff though, when I felt lonely :)

Cassandra
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I was just talking with my boyfriend about this. He was telling me how he couldn't remember having imaginary friends ever and I was explaining how I had dozens and dozens of them. My two main ones were Timothy (the little mouse from Dumbo) and Blitzen (yes, the reindeer). There were so many others. I've found it odd to think back on because the majority of them were male. I would talk to them as a way to work things out when I was younger, now I just end up talking to myself :P

Funndeath
01-12-2010, 04:29 AM
A lot of my imaginary friends came from TV or movies, or were my imagining of real people.
- Spike from Buffy, because he was hot, and funny. He would come into my room through the ventilator, like I told ShelfLife. He's not the love-crippled Spike but the badass murderous Spike. I also imagined Willow and I hanging out together in school, being loser geeks.
- Jarod from the Pretender, because he was a genius and could be whatever he wanted, he was my idol. And he advised me on things. I also had major hots for Andrea Parker. I think I was around 8 when it used to come on TV :S
- Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat, he was like my master and would teach me how to beat people up (which I did a lot at that time, I used to wallop all the boys I used to hang out with).
- A lot of wrestlers, I was big into WWE at that point. The guys and I used to play trump cards too. I even went to see one of the shows when they came to India. What a loser I am.
- Kurt Cobain also used to be my imaginary friend, except he was younger and not a rockstar yet.
- Often I used to imagine being on an island or a ship and Bugs Bunny and Taz were my shipmates and we get shipwrecked. I used to keep a captain's log for our voyages also.
- When I was 3 or 4 years old, I used to apparently talk to a poster of Shahrukh Khan. Which is weird because I think he's a bad actor now, although I still think he's a nice guy and is pretty funny sometimes.
Sometimes I imagined that inanimate objects were magical and helped me along in life. Like this jade pendant from Egypt, I used to call "her" jade and she used to bring me good luck and make my wishes come true. And then there was a cool dice I found somewhere that didn't have numbers on it but suits of cards on it (hearts, spade etc). I used it to make decisions, but I also had conversations with it.

Right now I have these imaginary friends who I "live" with. There's Kara, she's Jamaican, she's tall and sexy and is always wise and patient of my sillyness. Then there's Reza, he's Iranian, he's sort of quiet and sarcastic, he's an artist. Joćo is Brazillian, he's a total playa, who's all smooth in front of the ladies but with us he becomes his asinine self (in that way he's sort of like a friend of mine, but cooler), sometimes you can randomly find bras lying around in his car. Rudra is Indian, from Kerela, he's a lot like me, we talk in the same way with lots of "dude"s, "ya"s and "man"s thrown in, he's lame like me also. But he's very artistic and is quite the stoner. Indy (is based on this writer-journalist who I love) is a male version of me, except more social, more intelligent and cooler. He's Bengali and we've been friends since we were children, we have conversations in Bengali (really bad bengali from my side) and piss the others off.

But mostly my most consistent and best imaginary friend has been myself.

(I know I'm a weirdo, I was a lonely child, ok!)

Ludwig
01-12-2010, 05:06 AM
I always talked to poster and pictures and stuff though, when I felt lonely :)

I don't think i had any imaginary friends as such but at one point i was pretty sure that toys would come alive when i was asleep, my five or so cuddly toys all had different personalities and i kind of hierarchy, with the teddy bear i had since i was a baby as the old leader.

Ich_Bin_Du
01-12-2010, 06:44 AM
I never really had imaginary friends, characters I created or something, but I still talk a lot to myself and imagine talking to other people and stuff.

Mexicanfiend
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't remember if I said this already, but here it goes:

No, I never had "imaginary friends" as a child, because that was such a little concept to my always-in-motion mind. I used to create complete worlds, in which I was sometimes and observer, while other times I became an active part of them. All of these worlds have historic figures, personal stories, cultural legacies and beings with whom I develop some sort of imaginary connections.

And, of course, that makes me think that I'm damaged beyond repair.

Dronepool
01-14-2010, 10:49 PM
But mostly my most consistent and best imaginary friend has been myself.

Same here. Or I use to 'imagine' a person I knew was around. And he (I) would give approval to me.

Dysmorphia
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
ShelfLife and Funndeath, what amazing imaginations you must have! Your imaginary friends sound very interesting indeed.

I have conversations with my numerous tare panda plushies. They always talk to me and have such emotive faces. The Empirical Guy's tare panda also talks to him.
When I come home from work and walk in the door I yell "Palley, I am home" & they are always excited to see me.
Palley's responses are not imaginary though, so I don't think I have an imaginary friend/s at all. However, I do day dream quite a bit and find my self dwelling in my fantasy worlds.

Peaches
01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
^ I do that with my cat. I don't know if that counts as having an imaginary friend...But I'll walk in the door and be like "Baby! Duchess I've missed you!" and then I'll tell her how I am....without talking. I talk to her with my mind, and I like to imagine she can hear my thoughts, and she'll let me know how she feels about it...with her mind.

She starts conversations too sometimes.

Imaginary cat conversations...god, I'm crazy. But that's what I do lol

All my stuffed animal also had a hierarchy :P

And, of course, that makes me think that I'm damaged beyond repair.

Bullshit. You are far from that.

ShelfLife
01-15-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm surprised, I thought more people had imaginary friends.

After Sister-Fievel moved on, I threw myself wholeheartedly into giving every single soft-toy I owned (and I owned many) their own personality and life. I had toys sleeping on my bed up until the time I was 12, purely because every time I tried to get rid of them, I felt like they were giving me dirty abandoned looks, and I'd be wracked with guilt and put them back.

Shangri-LIE
01-15-2010, 08:53 AM
I have imaginary friends. That's about it. All of the friends I have exist in the theatre of this box, and my mind. Aside from that, I did have imaginary friends as a child. I had two figurines that I called "Brian, and Jill". I'd take them everywhere. They were like my "Polly Pocket". I've actually lost wrestling matches to stuffed animals. Though I did have a 2 ghosts that I used to see and speak to. I called them 10:30. That is when they'd come see me. In the first grade I was asked to draw something that scared me the most, and I drew a broken clock that was stuck on 10:30. It perplexed my teacher and she suspected sexual abuse. But it was juss my 'magination.

RevManz
01-15-2010, 12:32 PM
oh, definitely.

i remember the last, from 4th grade. he was named JT.
we used to have fun together, a lot. that sounds weird...like an imaginary friend was as if a real person. imagination is truly a powerful thing however, no? :)

i also remember that my parents thought it was bit odd , i still had imaginary friends when i was 10...

Mexicanfiend
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Bullshit. You are far from that.

Aren't you a weet, sweet girl? :)

And I've noticed something: I also talk alone. And it doesn't worry me in the slightest, since most of my family members apparently do that too. But I've also noticed that I usually talk about all the things I'd really like to say to real-life people, as if I were explaining important stuff, and I usually end up approving what I say. I know there's a simple psychological reason for this... But I think is quite funny, to be honest.

Dronepool
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM

But I've also noticed that I usually talk about all the things I'd really like to say to real-life people, as if I were explaining important stuff, and I usually end up approving what I say. I know there's a simple psychological reason for this... But I think is quite funny, to be honest.

Wow, I do the same thing and have been doing it since I can remember. I wonder what makes us do that, psychology wise.

Mexicanfiend
01-15-2010, 10:08 PM
What I think is the following, Dronepool:

Sometimes I catch myself talking like if a girl I really, really like was nearby. Or a special friend, or a family member... So, I suppose that it has to do with our will to say important things -important for us, I shall clarify- to our loved ones but that, for some reasons, we can't talk about it with them in real life, So we do it -I guess-, in order to keep a "conversation" about whatever we want to tell them, and we can't. Like a scapegoat or a cathartic exercise of some sorts.

So, for example, it is not surprising for me to find myself singing a song in my car and thinking out loud all of the things I would say to that special someone about said song, if she was nearby. Damn! I'm sure she'de be bored to death about a 2 hour-long explanation of why Holy Wood is somehow a homage to John Lennon and why that album holds a deep, strong emotional significance in my life; so I guess I can only talk about it with an imaginary version of her, while stuck on the traffic.

So, I guess that, by doing that, we are somehow letting out what we really want to say, but by some strange reason, we're not able to let it out in real life.

Funndeath
01-16-2010, 08:44 AM
What I think is the following, Dronepool:

Sometimes I catch myself talking like if a girl I really, really like was nearby. Or a special friend, or a family member... So, I suppose that it has to do with our will to say important things -important for us, I shall clarify- to our loved ones but that, for some reasons, we can't talk about it with them in real life, So we do it -I guess-, in order to keep a "conversation" about whatever we want to tell them, and we can't. Like a scapegoat or a cathartic exercise of some sorts.
So, I guess that, by doing that, we are somehow letting out what we really want to say, but by some strange reason, we're not able to let it out in real life.

Oh yeah, I do that all the time. Like this one friend of mine is with me at all times in that way. And when I like someone I imagine them around all the time that way, too. And it's not just about stuff I can't tell someone, it's ordinary stuff, like if I'm walking down a street, I'll have a conversation going on with them in my head. And when I'm home I'll actually be speaking for both of us. Uhh, yeah. Are we weird? I have a feeling everyone does this when they're alone.

Mexicanfiend
01-16-2010, 11:16 AM
More than using the word "alone", I'd use "solitary" instead. I know I'm not alone, yet I consciously tend to keep distance with everyone, so I guess it all makes it a self decision. Plus, I know who will be there -and who has been- for me when I need it.

Seven
01-16-2010, 11:45 AM
When I was very young and before the siblings came along, I had an imaginary friend. His name was Andrew Martian and he was green. He used to go everywhere with me. My family even had to set him a place at the table and he had to have his own seat on the bus.

javi9446
01-16-2010, 01:31 PM

And I've noticed something: I also talk alone. And it doesn't worry me in the slightest, since most of my family members apparently do that too. But I've also noticed that I usually talk about all the things I'd really like to say to real-life people, as if I were explaining important stuff, and I usually end up approving what I say. I know there's a simple psychological reason for this... But I think is quite funny, to be honest.

Wow, I do the same thing and have been doing it since I can remember. I wonder what makes us do that, psychology wise.

There actually is, it's somewhat based around NLP, a field of psychology. I would really like you guys to look it up as it's very interesting. What you are saying to me sound like a fear of life or a fear of rejection. Although it might sound crazy or hard to believe your sub-conscious mind is incredibly powerful.

But as for me, I never had any kind of imaginary friend that I could physically see or anything like that, I just believe I'm more in contact with my subconscious than some people, so I'm able to have communication with myself on a deeper level.

Funndeath
01-17-2010, 07:30 AM
More than using the word "alone", I'd use "solitary" instead. I know I'm not alone, yet I consciously tend to keep distance with everyone, so I guess it all makes it a self decision.
Oh dude, that is exactly what I do.