PDA

View Full Version : The Horror Movie Thread

Lord Hypnos
01-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I've recently been curious in watching horror movies, but frankly I'm stumped. What are your favorite horror movies? Any suggestions and recommendations will do!

secretsquirrely
01-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I have to be honest, that of all people I am rather shocked that you weren't already pretty hardcore into horror lol But to oblige you, it all depends on how much you can take really, so I shall suggest to you some films with certain brutality levels. That way you can weed out what might be just a little too intense, or just too lame.

Intesity levels will go from 1-5, 5 being pretty hardcore. Now some will disagree on what I find hardcore as I rate it on the whole package rather than how gory the film is. So here are my favs in levels.

Level 1 Horror:
All of your classic Universal films such as Dracula, The Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man, The Mummy, etc.
Other classics in a similar vein such as House of Wax (Vincent Price version), The Terror, Buckets of Blood, Nosferatu, Faustus, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Level 2:
This is a bit of jump, as we delve into the modern age. And though some of these films are deemed classics and are rather gory, all in all they deliver a fun yet easy to watch package.

Lost Boys, An American Werewolf in London, Army of Darkness, Halloween (Carpenter version), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Creepshow, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Killer Clowns from Outer Space, Critters, Gremlins, Poltergeist, The Others, An American Haunting, Interview with a Vampire, The Amityville Horror (original)

Level 3:
Now we get into a bti of the meat of the genre. Here will probably be some of the most iconic films listed. I know some will argue that a few films on level 2 should be here, again this is all my opinion.

Child's Play series, Friday the 13th series, Evil Dead 1 & 2, Pumpkinhead series, Village of the Damned (remake), It, The Sixth Sense, Rose Red, Thirteen Ghosts, Saw series, Children of the Corn, Carrie, American Psycho, Bram Stoker's Dracula, 30 Days of Night, Resident Evil series, Candyman series, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake and The Beginning), The Amityville Horror (remake), Aliens - Resurrection, Event Horizon, Stir of Echoes, Sleepy Hollow, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2-Freddy's Dead, Freddy vs Jason, Predator series, Lost Souls, Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch 2: Book of shadows, May

Level 4:
This is where I'll get the most arguments. As far as gore go with some of these films, there were films in Level 3 that were worse, however, the overall package sometimes is what counts here. These are the films that almost make it as some of the most impressive and intense horror films I have ever seen.

A Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser series (funnily they managed to get better with every film eventually..especially Hellseeker), Silent Hill, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, Alien, The Shining (Kubrick), The Blair Witch Project

And finally [b]Level 5:[b]
These films have either physically made me scream over the age of 12 or just really disturbed me personally.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare, [REC.] (NOT Quarantine!!!), Martyrs, The Exorcist

Now obviously there are hundreds more horror films out there that I have either forgotten, not seen, or just didn't like. These are my personal favorites though and I highly suggest each and every one of them for at least one viewing.

Lord Hypnos
01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
^Thanks a lot, and lol I like some horror movies but I don't watch much movies at all, so that's why I'm not too into it. While you made a great list of horror movies, I have seen all of those, and the ones that I should have mentioned made me interested were the level 5. I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer before, but movies like Cannibal Holocaust, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, and REC are the ones I like. Maybe it's the "shaky camera" types? But, I love those kinds, so I'll be sure to check out The New Nightmare.

I've also heard that Sal, or the 120 Days of Sodom is a really good one, any confirmation?

ThreeEyedGod
01-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Didn't I already make a horror movie thread? Is that gone?

Dronepool
01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Salo isn't horror really, but it is one of the most fucked up and difficult/disgusting films to make through the whole thing.

Mi-CroMartie
01-16-2010, 05:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/May.JPG

I'm sure you have seen this or not. This is my fave that made me cry. I rarely cry in horror movies but there are some like this that makes it exceptional. :(

Maniac Master
01-17-2010, 04:58 AM
The Thing by John Carpenter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZkkIsLiNg
definitly the best horror movie i've ever seen! i felt the room getting colder while watching it. intense!

House By The Cemetary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIiJeCpCgY
it's cool somehow. but i still don't understand the ending...

Stage Fright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs7PHsWzvwE
it's watchable. but the trailer sucks.

Dawn Of The Dead (Remake):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUzJAsa-gg
i love that one. i own thhe old one too, but this one is just one hell of a horror-movie.

30 days Of Night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvFDOs4Km4U
i went into cinema without any expectations and it blew me away. seriously. The Thing and this one ar the only horror-movies that really made me shiver.

and if you want to watch something funny, watch Braindead, Bad Taste, and part 2 and 3 of the Evil Dead series.

Mi-CroMartie
01-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a better idea: Buy this book if you have the money on amazon.com or any site that sells books. It's a good read too:

http://photos-p.friendster.com/photos/36/89/19039863/2_369328754l.jpg

secretsquirrely
01-17-2010, 09:45 AM
^ is that not a waste of money when I can find a different list and rent the films? :P

Though I'll admit...I want that book

DecayingSinner
01-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I would like to add One Missed Call to the list (Japanese version). This movie blew me away. How could you skip Audition as well?

There are a lot of mixed reviews on this, but The Descent caught me by surprise as an awesome movie.

absinthe bunny
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
^ is that not a waste of money when I can find a different list and rent the films? :P

Though I'll admit...I want that book

I believe that book is made by the users of the imdb horror board. I think it would be a nice reference to have a general view on horror from different subgenres.

Oh... and I recommend Subconscious Cruelt:-) If you got the stomach tot watch it.

Mi-CroMartie
01-21-2010, 08:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhkrvBNnAcw

You should see this also. Read my review in the movie thread. Like I said, if you're a 110% avid animal lover esp. dogs, well, this movie will tear your heart out faster than a white dog ripping out black people's skins in 10 seconds.. Believe me. I've said it before I'll say it again, This is the ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE for animal lovers. The ending will haunt even the most sensitive animal lovers to walk the earth. Prepare to bring a big box of Kleenex tissue to wipe your tears out. It's going to be one mindfuckery tragic story waiting to explode.

This is where you animal lovers question the essence of animal cruelty and racism in one package. This is the best horror killer dog movie I've ever seen. It's waayyy better than Stephen King's Cujo. Even though this white german shepherd remains nameless.

Go see it.

gunz
08-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Don't Breathe....ready to see this in a few weeks..the trailer looks promising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yBTNDB6vU

Nemoris Inferioris
08-10-2016, 11:26 PM
Can't wait to see it, been waiting for a while for it to come out. Looks intense as fuck.

Para-Noir
08-22-2016, 01:59 PM
A question since there are some real horror fans here who know a lot more about the genre then I do.

What do you like about it? Do you concider them 'good' movies or just really enjoyable?

I've seen plenty horror films and as far as I know many of the classics (which were sometimes a let down). I recently started watching the Friday the 13th series (I'm at part 8 now) and I really like watching them, but I don't concider them good movies because it's always rather predictable and there is a lot of cliches (like with most horror films). But that doesn't matter, it's great entertainment.

So to the real fanatics, what is it about it that you like so much? I'm genuinely interested. Thanks!

gunz
08-23-2016, 03:57 AM
I think I am such a fanatic for horror movies is the bad acting and GORE! Most of the movies I tend to watch are B-rated, low budget. It helps keep my mind off whatever it is going on in the real world. I also love comparing how accurate they get anatomy of the body since that's kinda my "thing". The horror movies tend to pick fun of normal everyday people and then we get to watch them get hacked and slashed and all that awful goodness. A movie that really messed me up though that I do believe was an incredibly real feel and great action was The Green Inferno. I actually felt guilty for watching something of that nature. Eli Roth is brilliant in that aspect...sick but great. Plus, with horror movies you can't go wrong on a date....(as a female myself) I know I can guaranteed my date to see two things...boobs & blood and what guy/gal doesn't enjoy a horrible flick to laugh at and give the weird crooked eye to.

DecayingSinner
08-23-2016, 03:20 PM
I love the suspense and build up of the genre, the gore, the bad acting, the hunt, the revenge, ect. I could go on and on. Although most are the same formula, I love watching someone act in such a horrid way towards others; I think it's something we all fantasize about, but would never act upon. What makes a horror movie great is that they can be violent and gory, psychological, and mysterious.

The Overman
08-24-2016, 01:00 AM
Phantasm: RaVager has a release date - finally! October 7th!

http://youtu.be/ZWplTuHJJHg

gunz
08-26-2016, 07:08 AM
Caught an early screening of Don't Breathe last night. Stephen Lang did a damn good job and I will never be able to look at him the same after the basement scene (haha). I will leave it at that since there are still many people who need to see this film. If you have anxiety problems, don't go see this. They made this real in all avenues of fear....the fear of getting caught. It still carries an old plot from generations ago...breaking and entering...chasing a dream...forgotten keys...creaky floors.

FeedYourHead
10-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Heh, Suspiria is getting a remake. (http://www.papermag.com/tilda-swinton-chlo-grace-moretz-are-starring-in-the-remake-of-dario-ar-2030508496.html)

Two Faced Egg (23)
10-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Heh, Suspiria is getting a remake. (http://www.papermag.com/tilda-swinton-chlo-grace-moretz-are-starring-in-the-remake-of-dario-ar-2030508496.html)

Thanks for sharing that : )
I really like the original. The Goblins created really great sounds for that film.
I recently watched Argento's "Phenomena" staring one of My ( I know You are a Labyrinth fan : ) ) favorite actresses Jennifer Connely.
I am still shopping for a complete Argento box set.

FuckmanQ
12-10-2016, 10:09 PM
All time favorites

1. ALIEN
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3. Halloween

Nemoris Inferioris
12-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Never seen Alien.

FuckmanQ
12-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Never seen Alien.

Definitely recommend seeing it. One of the single most atmospheric films in the Sci-Fi horror genre outside of The Thing. They're both amazing films.

Not many old trailers hold up decades later, but this one does. This is a trailer done right. In terms of it's respective genre of course. Back when Directors of their films would direct the trailer as well, so it makes sense why this is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

Nemoris Inferioris
12-11-2016, 03:43 PM
I've heard good things about it, just never taken the time to watch it. The Thing (John Carpenter) is good though.

M Tragedy666
12-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Wsh I had seen this thread earlier. Typing is a bitch ATM since I'm on a crappy bar tablet but I'll respond in more detail later. As far as the ops request for horror suggestions in the vein of cannibal holocaust, might I recommend a few favorites. Henry portrait of a serial killer, salo, the girl next door...not to be confused with the teen comedy of the same name, a clockwork orange, men behind the sun, dead alive, Antichrist by Lars von trier, and....I have many more suggestions I'll have to get back to u on. Dead alive is the only funny one, but very gory. ☺. I'm sure u mite have seen henry and clockwork, but all of these are very dark, especially girl next door, Antichrist, and men behind the sun. Another u mite like is a Serbian film

mr.svperstar13
12-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Never seen Alien.

What. How is this even possible? It's one of the best horror films ever made, dude lol

The Thing is my personal favorite movie of all time.

FuckmanQ
12-11-2016, 10:04 PM
What. How is this even possible? It's one of the best horror films ever made, dude lol

Mine was definitely a toss up between The Thing and Alien, chose Alien because I honestly find it more interesting. But both are equally amazing films.

Nemoris Inferioris
12-12-2016, 11:44 AM

Wouldn't you consider it a Sci-Fi Horror? I tend to separate films into the correct genres. Like i wouldn't call Silence Of The lambs a Horror, but a Psychological Thriller. I prefer those kinds of films. Anyway, i do know that i am missing out on Alien, i just never taken the time to watch it. I just watched Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho for the first time in October, even though most might consider that to be one of the best horror/ slasher films, and i loved it to death, and bought it on Blu-Ray :) So i may love Alien as well. I'll try to watch it tonight.

As for the Thing, it is a really atmospheric film, and being trapped with Cabin Fever while this... THING (Pun intended) is hunting you down, and it could look like your best friend, or anything... Pretty badass. Never seen The Thing From Another Universe (Original). Funny, John Carpenter, in Halloween, showed that movie quite frequently throughout his film, and years later, directed a remake of it. Kinda neat, eh? I am picky about certain Sci-Fi horrors, as most are cheesy and cringeworthy, and bad acting, like Jason X, or whatever it is the Sci-Fi Channel comes out with now (Sharknado? wtf). I do know what the best horror films are, i'll continue if needed.

mr.svperstar13
12-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Wouldn't you consider it a Sci-Fi Horror? I tend to separate films into the correct genres. Like i wouldn't call Silence Of The lambs a Horror, but a Psychological Thriller. I prefer those kinds of films. Anyway, i do know that i am missing out on Alien, i just never taken the time to watch it. I just watched Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho for the first time in October, even though most might consider that to be one of the best horror/ slasher films, and i loved it to death, and bought it on Blu-Ray :) So i may love Alien as well. I'll try to watch it tonight.

As for the Thing, it is a really atmospheric film, and being trapped with Cabin Fever while this... THING (Pun intended) is hunting you down, and it could look like your best friend, or anything... Pretty badass. Never seen The Thing From Another Universe (Original). Funny, John Carpenter, in Halloween, showed that movie quite frequently throughout his film, and years later, directed a remake of it. Kinda neat, eh? I am picky about certain Sci-Fi horrors, as most are cheesy and cringeworthy, and bad acting, like Jason X, or whatever it is the Sci-Fi Channel comes out with now (Sharknado? wtf). I do know what the best horror films are, i'll continue if needed.

The reason I like The Thing so much is due to the isolation. Your trapped in a remote part of the world, with no civilization in sight, with something that could be the guy next to you. It's amazing atmosphere. I wish more horror films took place in snowy environments like that.

Yeah, Alien is great. Aliens (the sequel) is great too but it's a departure from the first. Think of Alien as Resident Evil 1 and Aliens as Resident Evil 2 in terms of differences.

Nemoris Inferioris
12-12-2016, 06:07 PM
The reason I like The Thing so much is due to the isolation. Your trapped in a remote part of the world, with no civilization in sight, with something that could be the guy next to you. It's amazing atmosphere. I wish more horror films took place in snowy environments like that.

Yeah, Alien is great. Aliens (the sequel) is great too but it's a departure from the first. Think of Alien as Resident Evil 1 and Aliens as Resident Evil 2 in terms of differences.

That's a good analogy. And the atmosphere is creepy, in The Thing. The only other snowy horror is 30 Days Of Night, which is good too.