PDA

View Full Version : Books to films...

R.Daneel Olivaw
01-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Which books would you like to see made into films?
Books are, of course, the business and reading rocks, but it is fun sometimes to see a favourite book made into a film and see how the images in your mind are treated by others. Sometimes the film of the book is not better or worse, it's different - for example 'Contact' from the book by Carl Sagan about humanity receiving a message from an alien intelligence and the effects that has.
Ok, here's my suggestions: in no particular order.

Pompeii by Robert Harris (2003) - Roman aquaduct engineer has explosive problems to overcome and 'mountains' to climb!

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson (1912) - macabre fantastical story of enduring love and a quest to reunite two lovers after an eternity of time and across a perilous landscape in a far distant future.

The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling (1991) - Alternative steampunk Victorian adventure, inspired by the first computer.

ShelfLife
01-24-2010, 01:40 PM
And The Ass Saw The Angel, by Nick Cave (1989) - Angels, inbreeding, animal torture, messiah complexes, religious fanaticism, moonshine, and a mute narrator: sounds like a real crowdpleaser to me. :)

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman (2001 - I think) - One ex con hanging out with Odin, visiting every other god that is down on their luck in America, and being plagued by his dead wife. If someone went for this with a very tiny pair of scissors (instead of the butchers knife, as most directors tend to), it could be adapted beautifully.

Most of my other favourite books have already been converted into films, but horribly so: the directors tend to drop key parts of the story or change the entyre dynamic because they don't consider them important.

I would like to see someone who actually takes the books seriously, and isn't just looking at a dollar sign, to remake these films/readapt these books.

The Golden Compass
The Time Traveller's Wife
Wuthering Heights

R_Flagg
01-25-2010, 11:21 AM
The Dark Tower series, fuck yeah!

R.Daneel Olivaw
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Not strictly a book but how about a really epic Norse gods / goddesses flick, based on The Mighty Thor marvel comics?
I'd love to see Thor, Loki, trolls, Asgard, Valkyries and the rainbow bridge etc. on the big screen.

Ripper
02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Not strictly a book but how about a really epic Norse gods / goddesses flick, based on The Mighty Thor marvel comics?
I'd love to see Thor, Loki, trolls, Asgard, Valkyries and the rainbow bridge etc. on the big screen.

It's coming out next year. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/)
The one book to movie adaptation I'm really looking forward to this year is Max Brook's 'World War Z'. If done properly it could genuinely be one of the best zombie movies ever made.

R.Daneel Olivaw
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
The Thor movie next year! From Marvel comics, what could be better??
Hammer of the Gods! Valhalla I am coming...!!
It's got Brian Blessed as Odin - how about Marilyn Manson as Loki? Thor's brother, God of Mischief - most appropriate!
Thanks for the pointer to World War Z, as I love Zombie films, last saw Zombieland and really liked it, especially the slomo/ Metallica section at the beginning.

Ich_Bin_Du
02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
The Dark Tower series, fuck yeah!

Oh yesssss. :D