PDA

View Full Version : My new short film: "SIX TWENTY-ONE"

mfy
02-22-2010, 01:34 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/4kb90h.jpg

I would like to show you my new short film "Sechs Uhr einundzwanzig" (in English, that'd be "Six twenty-one").

A short description of what it is about:

http://i47.tinypic.com/dywhv.jpg

A young man is on his way to a meeting by car. Even though this is something that sounds pretty ordinary, it quickly turns into a bizarre odyssey. He has visions and meets a stranger who on one hand ignores him and on the other perhaps still tries to tell him something. Will he get to the destination of his journey? It's 6.21 a.m. in Germany.

Now, the film is actually in German (you might have somehow guessed that by now) - but there isn't too much talking and I also added English language subtitles (which may not be 100 percent right but what the hell, they will do the job). The length is around 9 minutes and it's basically a no-budget flick (if you don't count expenses for gas and cigarettes that is). A source of inspiration was (as rather often in my productions) the work of David Lynch, though I have no clue if this does really come through much here.

Usually, I compose the music for my films myself (as I basically started writing music for many films by other people before I began making my own ones) but this time, I finally had a reason to use NIN's "Ghosts" (which I remixed a bit so it would work with the pictures - now I hope this finally got you excited ;) ).

http://i50.tinypic.com/20pc5k4.jpg

So if this got you even remotely interested, I would like you to click on this link now, watch the film (in full-screen mode if you like) and write down some feedback (well, that's not a must - but it sure would be kind). I know it's YouTube which rarely guarantees a cinematic atmosphere - but you can watch the film in up to 720p fake HD so the quality should be pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J1uHdzX2f8

Enigma
02-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Loved it, the photography is beautiful and it really reminds me of David Lynch atmospheres. Good job : ).

21Faces
02-23-2010, 02:44 AM
That was fucking beautiful, brilliant job all around. The photography was gorgeous, especially. What camera did you use, if I may ask? As far as feedback, I don't know if it's because I recognize all the Ghosts songs separately from listening to the album so long, but I thought including so many different tracks throughout the piece sort of broke up the mood a little bit- I don't know if you were going for that or not, just a thought. Also Malboro brand was a little conspicuous.

Again, fantastic job, really. Go out and make another movie right away!

mfy
02-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Thank you for your kind words; I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it :).

What camera did you use, if I may ask?

Nothing too fancy, I used a Panasonic NV-GS 330.

As far as feedback, I don't know if it's because I recognize all the Ghosts songs separately from listening to the album so long, but I thought including so many different tracks throughout the piece sort of broke up the mood a little bit- I don't know if you were going for that or not, just a thought. Also Malboro brand was a little conspicuous.

Well, I certainly didn't go for breaking up the mood like that ;). I think the Ghosts tracks have a mostly very similar sound (at least if you don't use the louder, more aggressive ones) and that was what I wanted. So I have no clue if it's because the tracks are too different or because you know them that well ;). I didn't wanna use the same ones over and over again.

The Marlboro brand is bugging me a bit as well - though only one of the three of us smokes (but no packet cigarettes) and I only picked Marlboro because I thought about reselling the rest to someone who smokes them - so there was really no special intention. People are rather sensitive about cigarettes ads here but in this case, it just doesn't mean anything.

Go out and make another movie right away!

I would love to do that; though I'm afraid that my next project will be to finish school (which is a reason why I wanted to have this one finished so quickly). After that, I'm considering applying at some film school - at some point in the future that is ;).

Funndeath
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
That was fucking awesome, ya. You talented people give me a major inferiority complex. So nicely shot. And interesting story. I was totally into it. I remember your last film, "Gibs Auf", right? That was also great and both were shot very well. And the editing was good, too. There's a distinct ... atmosphere in both your films, sort of silent and tranquil but a bit eerie? I hope that makes sense. But really, great job, man.

mfy
02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Thank you, glad you like it ;). And you're right, it was "Gibs auf" - that was the Kafka short.

There's a distinct ... atmosphere in both your films, sort of silent and tranquil but a bit eerie? I hope that makes sense.

Hehe, yeah, I guess the general atmosphere didn't turn out that differently th is time (though this is nothing that I particularly tried to do - perhaps something like a "style"? I don't know ;) ).

Funndeath
02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I was implying a particular style. The way it's shot. Like all of Jean Pierre Jeunet's films have a particular atmosphere.