PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Love Stories

pad18
03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Looking for more films in the vein of Natural Born Killers, True Romance, The Hunger, Bonnie and Clyde, The Rules of Attraction, etc.

S.Hal0mega.B
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
The Fountain (fits with The Hunger in my opinion). Mulholland Drive. But some people consider these films too artsy. I guess there's no 'rush' in them. But they are far more powerfull than say - the Notebook.

ShelfLife
03-22-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm a hugely dedicated fan to what I call Fucked-Up Love Stories (I'm sure they don't deviate too far from your "tragic" ilk) so let's see what I have in my collection. They might not be quite the same as Bonnie and Clyde and True Romance, but I'm a huge Natural Born Killers fan, so you might like these stories as well -

+The Dreamers
+Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
+Silence of the Lambs
+American Beauty

I read more books than I watch movies, so if you're that way inclined, these are a few good F-U. L.S.'s to try out

+Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - the grandmother of all fucked-up love stories. There are many movie versions of the story; you might find one that you enjoy (I'm too much of a purist and a fan to enjoy any reinterpretation).
+And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave (you might enjoy his music)
+Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
+Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

pad18
03-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm a hugely dedicated fan to what I call Fucked-Up Love Stories (I'm sure they don't deviate too far from your "tragic" ilk) so let's see what I have in my collection. They might not be quite the same as Bonnie and Clyde and True Romance, but I'm a huge Natural Born Killers fan, so you might like these stories as well -

+The Dreamers
+Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
+Silence of the Lambs
+American Beauty

I read more books than I watch movies, so if you're that way inclined, these are a few good F-U. L.S.'s to try out

+Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - the grandmother of all fucked-up love stories. There are many movie versions of the story; you might find one that you enjoy (I'm too much of a purist and a fan to enjoy any reinterpretation).
+And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave (you might enjoy his music)
+Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
+Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Loved Eternal Sunshine and American Beauty. And i like the term "fucked up love stories" because that's what I'm practically looking for. And you mention Silence of the Lambs, are you implying there was a love connection between Clarice and Lecter? I don't sense the he loves her?

secretsquirrely
03-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Man, The Rules of Attraction is such a bad ass film. As for doomed romance films, hmm. Monster's Ball is a really good one, May is also a pretty fucked up love story of sorts, and of course we have Chasing Amy perhaps?

ShelfLife
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Loved Eternal Sunshine and American Beauty. And i like the term "fucked up love stories" because that's what I'm practically looking for. And you mention Silence of the Lambs, are you implying there was a love connection between Clarice and Lecter? I don't sense the he loves her?

A friend once told me that, "He loves her as a scientist loves a specimen", and I think there's some truth in that. But frankly, I wrote that last night, and I've just woken up, and I have no idea why I included it on the list. :P

ThreeEyedGod
03-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Adaptation contains a pretty fucked up love story.