PDA

View Full Version : The Hockey Thread

False Prophet
04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Now I know we have to have some Hockey fans in here.

For all fanatics, and just those curious as well. Share your thoughts, news, pics, favorite teams, players, rivalries, stats, goals, hits, saves and everything in between.

And tell us a bit about your team and history, let us know how much ice runs through those veins.

Might as well start it off:

Grew up a Washington Capitals faithful, from the Bondra era, early 90's. That was until I found out who Dominik "the Dominator' Hasek was and fell in love with the black and red Buffalo Sabres, dimming the passion for the white and red of the Caps. Then the caps eventually changed their uniforms and signed Olie Kolzig....and I hated him, and the uniforms, and thus the Caps were killed in my mind. I followed the Sabres until Hasek was traded to the Detroit Red Wings due to Buffalo financial issues in the early 00's, To top it all off the Sabres eventually went and changed their uniforms and colors....and well...Ryan Miller suits them well. Anyways...I hate the Red Wings and always will, and thus my interest dwindled more...until recently when the Caps finally got rid of those shitty jerseys and colors...oh, and we got Alexander "the Great" Ovechkin...who i didn't even know they had until they changed the uniform and went back to the RED! So, FINALLY something to cheer about, which the Caps hadn't for a long time. My interest is renewed, and now I'm here, hooked on hockey, again.

Now I'll be the first to admit that the Caps blew it against the Montreal Canadians, and I must say, I am a bit relieved. This is the year Ovechkin, and the young team, need and they get it early in their careers fortunately. Its a year full of highs and big spotlights; of high expectation and egos, and when the pressure was on, they choked. And now it is time for them to them to swallow, their prides and egos, and become a wiser, more humble and mature team. Maybe a return to fundamentals, maybe a change of coaching or lines, maybe something completely different, but only time will tell; I just hope that the Caps keep giving me something to be excited about...then again, Buffalo has a goaltender again...:)

Any predictions on 2010 Playoffs? I wanna see what Crosby and the Pens can do against Halak and the Habs.
I'm picking Detroit and Vancouver in Western Finals and Montreal and Boston in Eastern Finals.

Shangri-LIE
04-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Thank You!

I am inclined, as a native of Pittsburgh, PA, to preemptively declare the Penguins to be the Stanley Cup Champions once again this year. I am going to wager on a Pittsburgh Penguins vs. San Jose Sharks Stanley Cup Final, with the Penguins taking the series in 6 games @ home.

Dronepool
04-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I use to watch hockey when I was 13 and trying to fit in with everybody because a lot of people watch sports. I was a Rangers fan and I remember playing Wayne Gretzky's game on N64. I don't care for it now, but for some reason I could enjoy playing almost any sports videogame.

I bought MLB 07 and NHL 08 for PS3 for like 5 bucks each a few months ago.

I also use to run around with an old friend with sneakers, a hockey stick and a crushed soda can and we hit the flat/crushed soda can outside with our hockey sticks... I wonder what happened to it, it would have made a great weapon to keep in the house.

Shangri-LIE
04-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I use to watch hockey when I was 13 and trying to fit in with everybody because a lot of people watch sports. I was a Rangers fan and I remember playing Wayne Gretzky's game on N64. I don't care for it now, but for some reason I could enjoy playing almost any sports videogame.

I bought MLB 07 and NHL 08 for PS3 for like 5 bucks each a few months ago.

I also use to run around with an old friend with sneakers, a hockey stick and a crushed soda can and we hit the flat/crushed soda can outside with our hockey sticks... I wonder what happened to it, it would have made a great weapon to keep in the house.

Jockheads always ruin sports. I like them because I am a physical person, I love competition, and along with victory, I really just like fucking people up...and getting away with it, because it's part of the game. Give it another chance, mayuuun.

Dronepool
04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Well I started watching WWE again in 2008 (and I post on an active wrestling message board) so jockheads aren't a problem for me, I honestly just watched sports to sorta fit in. I never knew any 'rocker' kids as a kid. All I knew were that most guys like and care about sports, but all I wanted to do was watch cartoons and play videogames.

I never cared for them as a kid, maybe it was my inner rebel? I mean if I'm really bored I could watch sports and everything, but I really don't care about teams and players. Sometimes I could be channel surfing and not find any cartoon or movie, so I could put on a baseball game and get high off my ass and just stare at the TV and wait for a homerun or something.

I am not physical at all and I dislike competition :-D I was always a timid quite kid.

False Prophet
05-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Seems the Pens might walk through Montreal. If the Caps had played dirtier and targeted players to injure, they would have won too. Well that and if Halak had played as poorly as he did last night.

Shangri-LIE
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Seems the Pens might walk through Montreal. If the Caps had played dirtier and targeted players to injure, they would have won too. Well that and if Halak had played as poorly as he did last night.

Well, we did score on Price as well. I won't count the empty netter. One thing about the Penguins, and Pittsbugh sports teams in general, is that they all have class, and for the most part, are stand up guys. Don't mention "Ben", I hear enough of it already around town. Of course we have agitators, like Cooke, and Rupp, but we hit clean for the most part. It's just that we are tough, young, and play with a lot of intensity. There was a hit that was kind of shady today, I forget who it was, (Ponikarovsky?), but that happens sometimes. As for Halek, all of those goals were outstanding. No net crashing, no grinding to jar the puck from underneath of Halek.

The Habs played a great game today, even though the Pens outplayed them for the most part. However, the score at the end of the game is all that matters, and not stats. This is what makes for great hockey. Twists and turns, last minute rushes, flashy goaltending etc.... Fluery may be my boy, but I'm sort of doubting his consistency. Then again, I'm not the only one. He is a championship calibre goalie, but we can't really just base our confidence in him because occaisionally he'll make an acrobatic, one for the film reels, save. Pittsburgh is Hockey Town U.S.A., and it's exciting as Hell. Traffic fucking sucked today though. I had to drive through, and across town before the game, during a marathon, and PITT's graduation ceremonies. Anywho, GO PENS!~

False Prophet
05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
The Habs played a great game today, even though the Pens outplayed them for the most part.

Yeah, I said that every time they beat the Caps ;)

As far as being a clean team, don't make me laugh. They targeted players in game one, and game 2. Fortunately Subban is there to straighten Cindy and the rest up.

Fluery is so hot and cold, he's like a bipolar goaltender. One minute he dives across the crease and makes an amazing save, the next hew lets a soft one in under the pads. I say the Pens should keep him, make it easier for the rest of the league to beat em. ;)

Also, Hockey Town USA would be Detroit, who are winning right now, which is ok cause no one wants San Jose to win. :)

Watching the Pens and Habs today reminded me of games 1,5,6 and 7 durring the Caps and Habs series. If they keep playing like that, the Pens will have their hands full.

Shangri-LIE
05-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I said that every time they beat the Caps ;)

As far as being a clean team, don't make me laugh. They targeted players in game one, and game 2. Fortunately Subban is there to straighten Cindy and the rest up.

Fluery is so hot and cold, he's like a bipolar goaltender. One minute he dives across the crease and makes an amazing save, the next hew lets a soft one in under the pads. I say the Pens should keep him, make it easier for the rest of the league to beat em. ;)

Also, Hockey Town USA would be Detroit, who are winning right now, which is ok cause no one wants San Jose to win. :)

Watching the Pens and Habs today reminded me of games 1,5,6 and 7 durring the Caps and Habs series. If they keep playing like that, the Pens will have their hands full.

I knew you'd say that about Detroit. However, we are the reigning Champs, and a dynasty at that. We do target key players, but I don't truly believe that we are trying to intentionally put players out of the game. I agree about Fluery, but I don't believe that it is entirely up to him to win the games. I know that this is going to sound cliche`, but the Habs got lucky today. They really did. The Pens just slipped up defensivley too much. It'll be fine tuned by the next game. Staal should be back on the ice, and I'd like to see Johnson in net for this one. Just to give him ice time, and Fluery a reason to want to go back out and prove himself. Again, yes I know Detroit is "Hockey Town", but to me, this is MY Hockey Town. :)

False Prophet
05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Damn, what a playoff...
Habs and Pens tied 2-2 in series; Detroit saving themselves from a sweep...with a 7-1 lead in the third right now.
Chicago is being allowed to crash Vancouver's goal to pull out a cheap win and the Flyers facing a sweep tomorrow night by Rask and the Bruins...

AND we get the World Cup after this?!

gonna be a good 2 months. :)

Shangri-LIE
05-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I couldn't utter a word that wasn't profane.

Shangri-LIE
05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Well, another solid performance by Fluery. I love to see the point men getting on the score card. That is where the Pens have the advantage. They are all goal scorers. Plus, if it weren't for the last 29 seconds of the game where the puck was accidentally kicked in off of Orpiks skate, it would've been Fluery's second shut out of the series. A lot of talk is made of Halek, but statistically Fluery is better in this series.

False Prophet
05-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah, what a solid goalie performance tonight, lol. Game 7 forced, inevitably. This should be good. And what the hell is up with Boston, can't seem to close out the easy series for shit.

Though the Vancouver and Chicago series has been good so far, hope another good performance for game 6, poor Detroit though.

Shangri-LIE
05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
You know man, I agree. This is fucking exciting. I hate the outcome tonight, but the decider is here at home. I never would have expected this. We'll see the day after tomorrow.

False Prophet
05-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Well would you look at that meltdown in Pittsburgh. 1 goal and 2 assists all series for Crosby. Gonchar letting Cammalleri lazily past him and givng giving the game winning scoring chance, which Fleury couldn't stop, again. Fleury really lost that game for you guys, he let in all the softies again and blew it. But none of the team really stepped up all series. It was like "hey, if we cant win the cup easily then we don't want it again" kind of attitude, that they have shown all season.

But maybe the Flyers will answer the Pennsylvanians prayers. Game 7 tomorrow in Boston. Is the Eastern conference gonna have another big choke job in Boston?

Vancouver got spanked and the Hawks and Sharks are gonna duel it out in the west. It's gonna be a shoot out, the two top teams in the West will take on one of the three lowest seeds in the East.

Shangri-LIE
05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
The Habs fought hard, not just in this series, but just to make it to the Playoffs, and also defeat the Caps/Pens. I'd like to see them take it now. Go Halek and the Habs! Maybe next year for the Pens.

False Prophet
05-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I agree. The Habs are well deserved of their wins, even through injury and playing against the 2 best players in the world, back to back, they managed to pull it off in the end of both series. Who ever thought id be rooting for a Canadian team. lol

Shangri-LIE
05-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I agree. The Habs are well deserved of their wins, even through injury and playing against the 2 pest players in the world, back to back, they managed to pull it off in the end of both series. Who ever thought id be rooting for a Canadian team. lol

I know, lol. Call in back up riot police, and start building makeshift drunk tanks/holding facilities for the hooligans! They're coming out, I can hear them!

Fav
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
There's a guy at work that roots for the San Jose Sharks and won't shave his beard until they win, or something. That's all I know about Snockey.

False Prophet
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
There's a guy at work that roots for the San Jose Sharks and won't shave his beard until they win, or something. That's all I know about Snockey.

I was 2 weeks into my beard...then the Caps lost...:/

I wanted a good reason to grow out my beard, what better time than the playoffs.

Montreal might need to look up what 'riot police' are...those little mounties wont be able to hold back the crowds if the Habs win.

Shangri-LIE
05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Exactly FalseProphet. If Montreal wins Lord Stanley, "We didn't Start the Fire" will have to be amended to include The Habs winning the Cup, because there is definatley going to be a fire.

False Prophet
05-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Canada will be on fire?! YAY!!!!!!! wait....i mean...SAVE THE ICE!!!!

False Prophet
05-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow, who are the bigger chokes, the Caps...or the Bruins... They blew a 3 games to none lead in the series only to blow it by loosing 4 games in a row.

In the West; the #1 San Jose Sharks, who haven't made it past the first round in most of their appearances, taking on the #2 Chicago Blackhawks

In the East; the #8 Montreal Canadians (the Habs) trying to finish off a cinderella run against the #7 Philadelphia Flyers

One of the two best in the West will be taking on one of two worst seeds in the East, who have both become the 2 best in the East.

Hawks and Sharks face off tomorrow afternoon; Habs and Flyers on Mondy night. Let the Conference Finals begin!!

False Prophet
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Number 7 seeded, Eastern Conference champions, Philadelphia Flyers face off against number 1 seeded, Western Conference champions, Chicago Blackhawks for game 4 Friday night in Philly. The Hawks lead the series 2 games to 1 heading into game 4. The Flyers need to step up and win big at home or prepare to go on the road only one game away from elimination.

Any predictions?

Anyone give a shit? lol.

DecayingSinner
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm from the Philly area...I can't believe the Flyers have made it this far. I'm more of a baseball guy, but how can I not watch the Flyers? Hope they win.