PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad

ThreeEyedGod
07-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Does anybody here watch this show? I don't usually get into serialized programs, but this is so well written and acted, and I am totally hooked.

mfy
07-20-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm stuck one episode from the end of season one, gotta find the time to finally continue. It's pretty good, a bit depressing perhaps but certainly very well acted.

Cerebrot
07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Best show on television. Fact.

brian219
06-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Best show on television. Fact.

It really is.

I finally finished season four today. O_O

Golden Eel
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
FUCK.

Can't wait for the new season. This show is fucking amazing.

FeedYourHead
06-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Is there anywhere to stream Season 4?

FeedYourHead
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

brian219
06-12-2012, 04:44 PM
http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

The lesson here is to never let a cripple design your webpage.

Golden Eel
06-12-2012, 05:02 PM
http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

That reminds me. Bob Odenkirk is fucking awesome. He is so utterly perfect for the part of Saul, it's amazing. I wasn't too sure what to think when he first showed up, but he totally blew me away.

Sixteen Saltines
06-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Great show, very depressing to watch sometimes LOL.

Dad from Malcom in the Middle delivers!!

kleiner352
06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I adore the show, my girlfriend and I are really, really into it. The new season looks absolutely fantastic, and each season has been greater than the last. I'm really looking forward to however they handle Mike coming back from Mexico and learning about what's happened.

Golden Eel
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
It's really fucking annoying that they'll be breaking the last season up into two parts and airing them a year apart. Fuck that.

kleiner352
06-12-2012, 11:27 PM
It's really fucking annoying that they'll be breaking the last season up into two parts and airing them a year apart. Fuck that.

Aaron Paul who plays as Jesse announced that season 6 is next year, season 5 is this year.

Golden Eel
06-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Aaron Paul who plays as Jesse announced that season 6 is next year, season 5 is this year.

Yeah, that's really just semantics. If what you said is the case, then S05/S06 are each half a 'normal' season long. Which means, it's effectively one season split in two.

brian219
06-13-2012, 12:24 AM
July 15th can't get here fast enough, tbh.

brian219
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I was reading user reviews and thought this was perfect:

My wife and I first stumbled on this show two years ago, with repeats of series 1 and 2 on cable.

Since then, we've purchased a US import DVD of series 3 and have resorted to less than legal means to watch series 4 as soon as it was broadcast in the US.

This show is so good, it turns its viewers into criminals just to keep watching it. As addictive as the blue crystal meth that Walt and Jesse have been peddling.

kleiner352
06-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Here is me rambling about BrBa a bit (spoilers abound):

So to quote the creator of the series, Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad is a show about "taking Mr. Chips and turning him into Scarface". Walter White began this show as a mild-mannered family man, working two jobs, dealing with taking shit from people above (the car wash manager) and those below him (the students at school). He resists letting these things show, he constantly holds himself together and is always trying to provide for his family. Working two jobs, both of which he is beyond over-qualified for, just to pay the mortgage and support a son with cerebral palsy and a pregnant wife. It's well established that he is one of the most gifted chemists of our time and possibly of all time; yet here he is, teaching low, entry-level chemistry to high school students during the morning before polishing their tires in the afternoon.

None of this allows for pride, or ego, or any sense of narcissism. Walter White does not believe in himself and does not have any sense of strength, no reason to have a name. The only thing that helps any of these aspects of his life are his family, having a wife and son who love him and who he can say he supports and provides for.

Then there's Heisenberg. Among other things, the actual scientist Heisenberg had a principle stating that when you observe something, it automatically will react different than had it not been observed. In a way this is Walter White. He is being observed by doctors, family, coworkers, and by season 4 his homicidal boss, Gustavo Fring (when they install security cameras in the lab he freaks out over it, and when Tyrus and Mike baby-sit them every day he breaks), and all of these have contributed to his new behavior and alter ego of Heisenberg.

Walter White is mild-mannered and weak. Heisenberg is confrontational, powerful, and most of all confident. Walter White can't even gain the respect of his students in a classroom. Heisenberg can run over and gun down drug dealers simply to save an associate. When Walt is in the hardware store in season 2 and sees the bikers buying meth-cooking supplies, he at first steps back and is uncertain of what to do. Then Heisenberg takes over. He boldly corrects a mistake of theirs, letting them know that he knows more than them (feeding into his ego), and then declares that they "Stay out of {his} territory". He even confronts his wife by the last season, telling her, "a man opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks! I am not in danger, I AM the danger!"

Walter White could never say those things. He wouldn't even dream of thinking them, let alone shouting them at Skyler of all people. Heisenberg, however, can do all of these things. He can even commit murder, lie, deceit those close to him and exploit those who love him for personal gain and survival.

In the episode Crawl Space I'm convinced we see the majority of what was left of Walter White become consumed by Heisenberg. As he is laying in the crawl space beneath the house, and is over-whelmed with how much his life has truly collapsed, so does he. he cracks. he doesn't cry, or scream, or shout. he laughs. He finds it hilarious. Within that very day he proceeds to have a man put a gun to his head, encourages him to shoot, poisons a child, and causes the death of three people via a bomb strapped to an old man's wheel chair. All he has to say is, "I won". Walter White didn't win, Heisenberg did. In the adds for the next season we see Walt acting very villainous, and it's pretty clear that he has essentially hit the "Scarface" end of the spectrum.

Oh and I'm damn near certain Walt will die by the end of the series. There's plenty of reason to believe this. The obvious thing is the cancer coming back or having spread past his lungs; in one episode a doctor explicitly says they wouldn't know if it had spread since they were only x-raying his lungs. In the episode "Fly" there's even a very brief and almost abstract pass at the idea of him having brain cancer, as Jesse details his aunt having always heard a raccoon under their house, even after they'd killed it, as a symptom of her cancer. At the tail end of the episode we see Walt wake up in the middle of the night hearing the buzz of the fly that they'd killed earlier in the episode as his eyes widen. Another reason to believe he will die is the Scarface comparison, as Scarface of course dies at the end of the film, falling into his own excess (Walt now has the meth empire in his control more or less). The scene where Jesse and Walt are hiding in the RV, and Hank pulls the tape from the bullet holes in the door, and the light pours through the bullet holes onto Walt's chest, and he even jumps as it hits as if he had just been shot (almost implying Hank will be the one to kill Walt). The episode Crawl Space that I mentioned before, obviously the shots of him laying in the crawl space are made to purposefully resemble him laying in a casket/grave. He coughs heavily throughout the last half of season 4 as well, almost equal to the scenes earlier in the series as his cancer affected him heavily. Jesse clearly has plenty of motivation to kill Walt, though he doesn't know most of it yet (Walt allowing Jane to overdose, poisoning Brock, obviously making him kill Gale and then dismissing him when he is sent to Mexico, instead only caring that he hadn't killed Gus, etc. and his general lack of concern for Jesse's well-being). I've heard some fans say Walt will commit suicide but no, I fully reject that as a possibility as this entire series has constantly revolved around his refusal to die, his determination for survival, and a constant need for his name to be known and respected.

Also Heisenberg and the meth world is where Walter gains all of the respect and honor that he never obtained through Walter White. When Hank fully thought that Gale was Heisenberg and that his case was completely done, which would have allowed Walt and the rest of the industry to continue without Hank, the only DEA agent still chasing them, meddling in, he instead has a moment of pure fucking hubris where he is so disgusted with the thought of Gale getting credit for his achievements that he openly says more or less, "Gale isn't the guy, no way, Heisenberg is probably out there Hank, and let's go look for him!"

Hank is the "hero" of the series. He is the protagonist conventionally speaking while Walt is the anti-hero and soon the villain of the show. Hank is the DEA agent who stands for moral order to a broad extent and is hell-bent on shutting down a major methamphetamine industry, he is attacked by the cartel, survives, becomes a hero amongst the DEA, he takes down Tuco, he defeats the Salamanca twins, he nearly discovers the super-lab (in fact Walt crashing his car is the only reason he didn't), he figures out Gus being connected, etc. etc. I think now we're about to see a much more major focus on his character in these next two seasons.

Jesse is the underdog of the show and in a way another "hero" character. Whereas every other character on the show is on their journey to "break bad", Jesse already has and is trying to do the opposite. From the very first season we see that he has a good heart and is a genuinely caring person, he just doesn't know where to direct it at first. He tries to help his little brother, eventually there's that child with the meth-head parents who he tries to get to safety, he watches out for Brock and his mother Andrea, when he was with Jane he really was just trying to be all he could for the girl he now loved, he is deeply loyal to Walt and even kills for him. When he learns of children being used to sell meth, he rejects Gus and attempts to avenge the kid who is murdered. All through season 4 we see his character grow towards the "light" even further. At one point he's painting his house again, over the graffiti and painting everything white, symbolizing him cleansing himself. He wears a shirt with a cross on it, he wears a decent amount of white, and he shaves his head as if yet again cleansing/letting go of his old self. He starts to become something of the family man Walt was at the beginning, with Brock as a son and Andrea as his girlfriend/romance interest. He pays to get them out of their neighborhood, he takes care of Brock and is shown playing video games with him, he sits at the hospital and refuses to leave when Brock is hospitalized and even aids in killing Gus because Walt makes him believe it was Gus' doing. He is a deeply loyal and genuinely loving character who simply desires approval. I have no idea as to where he will go character-wise but I'm really wanting to see him have the "happy ending" of the series. By far my favorite character and the most genuinely likable/empathetic person on the show.

Fun for Breaking Bad fans: color is very important on the show. Vince Gilligan hand picks each article of clothing every character wears. Every character has at least one motif color; Marie is found around and wearing purple in almost every scene (at times this becomes comical, down to her having a purple toaster); Hank's color is yellow/orange; Walt has several colors, he wears green often, pink in moments of vulnerability, red when he is displaying a moment of power (and many of these times as Heisenberg) and almost always some black when he "becomes" Heisenberg. There are more colors but I really can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

As for the next season: I can't wait to see how Mike will react to everything. Also I'm interested in seeing how Hank pursues them and what he learns. I'm interested in watching Jesse grow more and see where he goes direction-wise as well.

I'll probably end up rambling again some other time, if you took the time to actually read all of this then thanks, I hope you enjoyed it, and if not, I don't blame you since damn that was a lot.

ThreeEyedGod
06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
god damn i need to pick up watching this show again! I have only seen through season 4!

kleiner352
07-10-2012, 08:26 AM
5 more days left until Season 5 premieres!

CellarOwl
07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I've avoided reading the other posts in here just in case there are any spoilers, but I've only recently started watching it in the last few weeks on Netflix. So far I'm halfway through Season 2, it's quality stuff. The character development is top notch. I'm liking Walt less and less as the series progresses while Jesse's character keeps getting better. It's a nice transition.

kleiner352
07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I've avoided reading the other posts in here just in case there are any spoilers, but I've only recently started watching it in the last few weeks on Netflix. So far I'm halfway through Season 2, it's quality stuff. The character development is top notch. I'm liking Walt less and less as the series progresses while Jesse's character keeps getting better. It's a nice transition.

Season 3 and 4 will blow your mind. Season 4 isn't available on Netflix yet, so you can get the DVDs or pirate it if you must. Happy viewings! And trust me, the character development just gets better and better.

kleiner352
07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0us5cxndQU0

Obviously, spoilers be warned since this is a new clip from season 5's premiere.

Lucille
07-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm sooo fucking excited! I started watching during season 2 and have been hooked since. This is the only show I've ever seen where it starts out AMAZING, and GETS EVEN BETTER AS IT PROGRESSES. Season 4 kicked so much ass! I'll never forget the episode where Walter goes crazy at the end when he finds out the money is gone and just starts screaming. *chills*

kleiner352
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm sooo fucking excited! I started watching during season 2 and have been hooked since. This is the only show I've ever seen where it starts out AMAZING, and GETS EVEN BETTER AS IT PROGRESSES. Season 4 kicked so much ass! I'll never forget the episode where Walter goes crazy at the end when he finds out the money is gone and just starts screaming. *chills*

He didn't scream, he laughed, which was a hundred times more disturbing. That, the phone ringing and Marie leaving a message frantically, that look on Skylar's face, the constant heart-beat sound, just, fuck. Probably the tensest moment in a show I've ever seen.

Atom
07-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Goddamn, I am so ready for this shit.

kleiner352
08-18-2012, 04:15 AM
I have to say, this season is the best so far. Walt is drunk with power, Jesse is getting more and more intelligent and is now the moral compass of the series, and Hank keeps getting closer and closer.

Spoiler warning: I think Walt will kill Skyler with the ricin he saved.

08-18-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I am loving it! This is the best fucking show ever and is rivaled only by Game of Thrones.

Golden Eel
08-18-2012, 04:45 AM
I have to say, this season is the best so far. Walt is drunk with power, Jesse is getting more and more intelligent and is now the moral compass of the series, and Hank keeps getting closer and closer.

Spoiler warning: I think Walt will kill Skyler with the ricin he saved.

Spoiler warning: PM has spoiler tags.

rivaled only by Game of Thrones.

It is known.

08-18-2012, 06:27 AM
How is that a spoiler if it actually hasn't happened and you are just guessing? I would say that is just a guess rather then a spoiler.

kleiner352
08-18-2012, 07:43 AM
How is that a spoiler if it actually hasn't happened and you are just guessing? I would say that is just a guess rather then a spoiler.

I say it because it establishes that Walt saved ricin and that he has reason/motive to murder his wife, as has been shown this season, so for anyone who hasn't seen the recent episodes those would be spoilers.

08-18-2012, 08:20 AM
The people who haven't seen it yet are FOOLS!

Golden Eel
08-20-2012, 12:15 AM
"Jesse, you asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business. Neither. I'm in the empire business."

BOOM.

Atom
08-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Last night's episode was intense. The dinner scene with Walt, Skyler, and Jesse was awesome.

brian219
08-28-2012, 09:46 PM
"Jesse, you asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business. Neither. I'm in the empire business."

BOOM.

"Say my name."

Lucille
09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Just watched episode 8. Fuck! It really sucks that we have to wait until next summer for the rest of the season! My favorite episode this season so far is the train one. Sooo much suspense haha

09-05-2012, 01:58 AM
What the FUCK. ONLY 8 EPISODES? Are you serious? Fuck these cunts.... God damn it...

kleiner352
09-05-2012, 03:12 AM
This wait is going to be so intense! The cliff hanger they left it on was just brilliant, I loved it and think it was one of the best they've done.

Also I wish I took shits that insightful.

MisanthroPope
09-05-2012, 10:16 AM
This wait = fucking horse shit. Some madness is about to go down and I hope 8 episodes is enough to do it justice. I'm hoping Jesse gets more screen time, too. Before the show ends I would also like a bit more S'all good, man.

kleiner352
09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
This wait = fucking horse shit. Some madness is about to go down and I hope 8 episodes is enough to do it justice. I'm hoping Jesse gets more screen time, too. Before the show ends I would also like a bit more S'all good, man.

The lead writer, creator and executive producer of the show, Vince GIlligan has confirmed that Jesse is far from gone in the series. Don't worry!

sayyosin
09-05-2012, 02:24 PM
I haven't read one single word in this thread but I just started watching this show last night and I'm glad that I did.

kleiner352
09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I haven't read one single word in this thread but I just started watching this show last night and I'm glad that I did.

Great choice but stay the hell away from this thread till you've caught up!

CellarOwl
09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Season 3 and 4 will blow your mind. Season 4 isn't available on Netflix yet, so you can get the DVDs or pirate it if you must. Happy viewings! And trust me, the character development just gets better and better.

I agree with everything in this post. Just started Season 5, and shit is TENSE.

sayyosin
11-06-2012, 01:54 PM
So I stayed the hell away from this thread until I finished watching season 5...

BEST SHOW EVER. The wait for the next half of the season is going to be torture.

My favorite characters are Saul and Jesse. Heisenburg is a total bad ass, but his reign will obviously end and Walt will get what he deserves. I think Skylar is an annoying cunt, just like her sister. Hank is an interesting "hero," even if I'm not really on his side, and poor Walt Jr. is completely clueless and innocent the whole damn time. I was sad to see Mike die the way he did.

Overall, I really enjoyed the progression of this show. Thanks MMT (or was it kleiner?) for convincing me to start watching it.

MisanthroPope
11-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I love Walt but recognize that he can't get a happy ending. I'm hoping Jesse can.

brian219
01-04-2013, 07:43 AM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/03/the-ending-of-breaking-bad-might-echo-the-beginning-and-have-a-casablanca-vibe-is-definitely-proving-hard-to-write/

Vince Gilligan talks quite a bit about writing the final run and what to expect. Here are his quotes from the article. These are probably mild spoilers.

No one gets everything they wanted. The guy doesn’t get the girl, but he has the satisfaction of knowing she wants him. And he doesn’t get her because he has to save the free world. What better ending is there than that? … We’re looking for that kind of satisfaction.

Are there echoes of the beginning that we should have in the end? There’s a certain kind of circularity that might be pleasing. We think a lot about that, in fact.

I’m very cornball in my own view of the world. It just makes sense to me that bad people should get punished and good people should be rewarded. I know it doesn’t work like that in real life, but there’s always that yearning [but] oddly enough, I don’t feel any real pressure to pay off the characters, morally speaking.

spaceSuicide
01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
I would watch this show as it seems engrossing enough and I like Bryan Cranston but this far late in the game and how many people are into it I don't feel like "I'm jumping on the bandwagon" or catching up episode wise.

MisanthroPope
01-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I would watch this show as it seems engrossing enough and I like Bryan Cranston but this far late in the game and how many people are into it I don't feel like "I'm jumping on the bandwagon" or catching up episode wise.

I started watching towards the middle of season 4. It was pretty easy to catch up with Netflix. Cranston is really great in this and I say you are missing out.

Atom
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM

No, it's not too late! You have time. Part 2 of season 5 (last season) doesn't start until this summer. The show is addictive as fuck and you'll find yourself going though several episodes a day and even more when you have jack shit to do. You'll lose touch with loved ones, your love life/family will suffer, your friends will stop calling, but it's all totally worth it because this show is phenomenal.

And like MisanthroPope said, it's one Netflix. Just torrent or somehow legally (if you must) watch the beginning of season 5.

IT IS NOT TOO LATE FOR YOU!

THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM ON THIS BANDWAGON!