PDA

View Full Version : Nick Cave To Helm 'The Crow'

S.D.
07-29-2010, 03:12 AM
From IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni3524926/) and Hit Fix (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/immaculate-noise/posts/nick-cave-penning-the-crow-reboot-is-this-a-good-idea), both reporting in the last twenty-four hours:-

"In a move that may shake some recovering teenagers to their core, The Crow is getting a cinematic reboot and Nick Cave is the man behind the script. According to The Wrap, the ultimate Bad Seed is working over Blade director Stephen Norrington's screenplay, which itself was a new take on the comic book. No lead actor has been picked out to fill the cumbersome shoes of the late Brandon Lee, killed on set of the 1994 film."

Predictably, at this stage the Lee comparisons will be at the fore, but aside from that, all the other details sound very pleasing. In my experience 97% of people who like dressing up poorly as The Crow for fancy-dress parties have never bothered to read Barr's original novel, which is beautiful, and harrowing. Knowing Cave's fascination with the morbid, and attention to detail, I am confident he's a perfect figure to undertake a new adaptation.
Sadly, as much as the original franchise began with a fantastic version of the book, the subsequent sequels were quite frankly, fucking terrible, so much like Christopher Nolan's Batman reboot, a more mature and faithful handling of the subject could be grand. It'll be extremely hard to top the original, which is underrated and sold to an annoyingly predictable demographic, but this is a bold and interesting move.

Funndeath
07-29-2010, 05:19 AM
That sounds fucking amazing.

Not Mechanical
07-29-2010, 05:39 AM
As much as I get tired hearing about remakes and shit, this sounds really interesting, can't wait to hear more.

ShelfLife
07-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Nick Cave is probably the most incredible writer I know (and I am familiar with many). I'm very excited to see what comes of this.

(And I wish I could read the original Barr novel, but it's so hard to find in Australia ;_;)

love_lolita
07-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Well, this news is a great birthday present =D

ThreeEyedGod
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh boy.

spaceSuicide
07-29-2010, 08:32 PM
I love Nick Cave and his music to death but a remake of the original crow with Brandon Lee won't ever be topped in my book. Hopefully this is better than any sequel of the series.

S.D.
07-30-2010, 01:34 AM
I wish I could read the original Barr novel, but it's so hard to find in Australia

Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, I think it's had that issue everywhere over the years. It's the reason the copy I have never gets leant out to anyone, because there was an independent comic store that I found it in about nine years ago here, and the owner told me it was rare to get shipments of it, and that it seemed to frequently go out of print. He had two so I bought one on the spot, but I'm very glad I did.
That said, this was years before I started using the Internet, I imagine if you're able you'd be able to find a copy through the Amazon/Ebay outlets, if it's not too expensive.

I love Nick Cave and his music to death but a remake of the original crow with Brandon Lee won't ever be topped in my book.

It's a good job this is likely a film of the actual book, and not Lee's Crow then, eh...? ;)

Knowing Nick Cave's fondness for both literature and music, I'd imagine if he's involved, far more attention is being paid to the original graphic source material than the first film adaptation. It's more violent, depressing, rich in content and descriptive than its filmic version, and the reliance (odd for a comic book) on Barr's favourite musicians when writing it, and the image he gave Eric coincide well with The Birthday Party, and Nick's aesthetic during that period.
I think the Hit Fix article on this was written terribly, and although expected, it's a shame writers can't do a bit more research and not just refer to the film straight away. I wouldn't see this as a "remake" at all, it's simply a new adaptation of the book, which will likely differ a lot from the one already in existence.

Hopefully this is better than any sequel of the series.

I think the producers could slingshot a crow out of the sky, videotape themselves pissing on its twitching corpse, then pelt the piss-covered mess with rocks and set it on fire and the results would still be better than any sequel of the series.

Hazekiah
08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Erm, it's James O'Barr. Emphasis on the O.

*ahem*

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the comics and eager to see what comes of this...but the good news about Nick Cave is pretty much canceled out by the bad news about him merely "working over Blade director Stephen Norrington's screenplay." Ugh.

And before anyone gets TOO excited, it's also worth pointing out that Nick Cave ALSO wrote a Gladiator sequel script. Which never got made. And that Rob Zombie was going to do a sequel to The Crow. Which never got made.

We'll see.

:-\

S.D.
08-26-2010, 01:37 AM
I never read about the potential Zombie Crow project, but unless it was the rumour mill at work I'd have to say I'm glad it didn't come to fruition in a way, that film has too many sequels already.
As noted, someone like Cave working this might be an inspired choice in some respects, but to be perfectly honest it would need to be all-or-nothing as a reboot to make the grade, simply because the franchise dwindled into such tawdry, cardboard, faux-goth crap that it needs a clean slate. Again, the comparison is fairly obvious because of the basic similarities between Lee's Crow and Heath Ledger's Joker (visually), but we're talking the same sort of revitalisation as the Batman series. The situation is comparable; an original film or two that were inspired, gothic-fairytales, then a run of sequels that made the original text look worse even by association.

Anyway, all thoughts here considered, I'd still maintain interest in this whether it's set-in-stone or not, unless it ends up looking very unlikely.

Hazekiah
08-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Agreed. The ongoing continuity of the franchise is too fucked to save at this point, and the only point in making a reboot would be to drop all the crap from the 1st film and finally do it RIGHT by essentially using the comic as storyboards, imho. I have high hopes for whatever comes of all this -- especially with Nick Cave attached! -- but there's still LOTS of reasons not to throw any parties just yet, that's all I meant to say.

And the Zombie/Crow project was undertaken before The Crow: Salvation, so at the time, at least, there wasn't TOO much cinematic garbage related to the franchise. Definitely not a rumor mill fabrication, though. The producers and Zombie himself have discussed it frequently.

Oh, and here's what purports to be Zombie's script, btw...

http://www.roteirodecinema.com.br/scripts/files/crow_2037_a_new_world_of_gods_and_monster.htm

Never thought to look for it online till tonight so I haven't checked it out yet, but it certainly seems to be legit.

delirium
09-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, the sequels to the origiinal Crow were terrible. Would a reboot do any better? What is Hollywood's fascination with movie reboots? It's like, every few years, the creative juices run dry, and they have to put out shitty remakes to fill the empty crevices of our brains.