PDA

View Full Version : Paranormal Activity 2.

Mi-CroMartie
08-26-2010, 01:31 AM
This better be good. And I read some article that this trailer was pulled out in Texas theaters during the Twilight Eclipse showings after complaints of deeming it too scary... Fuck that.. I'd rather see this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XbSk7Rjt4

secretsquirrely
08-26-2010, 02:21 AM
It's looking good. The trailer has been around for a while, but I still like watching it. I hope they have a tad mroe imersive story this time around, though. I love the first PA and have it on DVD, but they could have always done better. Hopefully this one will deliver the goods that werepromised by the first one. In any case I'm sure it will be ebetter than any Saw film that's coming out at the same time.

R_Flagg
08-26-2010, 03:29 AM
Still trying to decide if I should get the first one. Some people say it was really scary, others say not scary at all. Opinions?

Emma
08-26-2010, 03:39 AM
^ Get the first one, turn off all the lights and make sure you have a good surround sound system.

ShelfLife
08-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Still trying to decide if I should get the first one. Some people say it was really scary, others say not scary at all. Opinions?

It depends on your constitution for horror films and ghost stories. As for me, it doesn't matter how many times you tell me it's just a movie - these things get under my skin and I freak out. I haven't seen the first one, and don't ever plan to.

But from what I can gather from watching trailers, the first one played on a lot of subtlety, and the concept that what you can't see is infinitely scarier than what you can see. There was something about this trailer that seemed to have lost that subtlety. The dog was wagging it's tail and didn't seem at all freaked out (as you imagine it would be should something paranormal be around), and was it just me, or did that "ghoul" look like a person in a hoodie and a gas mask?

Mi-CroMartie
08-26-2010, 04:29 AM
I also read another article saying that the mysterious shadow figure in the trailer is actually Katie herself. Remember in the 1st one, where she killed her boyfriend and went missing after that. Probably she stumbled onto another unknown location house to terrorize again despite she was possessed by the spirit in the 1st one.

secretsquirrely
08-26-2010, 05:54 AM
What Emma said. With a good surround system the original PA is so fun. Is it scary? Well, not really. It's a good thrill the first time you see it, but repeat viewings are just fun. The only first perso film I still find scary is REC (not seen the sequel). So intense....and no not Quarantine :P

The subltey is there in this trailer very well. The first one has a big "what you don't see is scary"thing, but god damn do you actually see enough that IS scary. What you see in the PA 2 trailer is pretty much playing on the super scares they had in the first one like a Ouija board moving on its own and then catching on fire or Katie getting her covers pulled off and then dragged down the hall by one leg.

If you can't handle scary movies I say tough it up and watch this one. It's catered to you. And remember this, you may be freaked out for a few days or something, but you'll get over it and have a good experience to tell people about it. Dare to live ;)

YDG
08-26-2010, 08:54 AM
The entire time I was watching the first one, I was waiting for it to get good. Then the movie was over. I'm not looking forward to there being a second one.

R_Flagg
08-26-2010, 12:38 PM
What Emma said. With a good surround system the original PA is so fun. Is it scary? Well, not really. It's a good thrill the first time you see it, but repeat viewings are just fun. The only first perso film I still find scary is REC (not seen the sequel). So intense....and no not Quarantine :P

Yes I loved REC too, be sure to watch the sequel it's just as good imo. And I'll check this one out too then.

Anima XI
08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Katie getting her covers pulled off and then dragged down the hall by one leg.

I love the first Paranormal Activity, but this was one of the only parts that creeped me out. The other was when The guy heard the demon talking on the sample he was hearing on the computer, that little weird growl sound. I don't know why, but that really freaked me out!

This looks really good though. I'm looking forward to it ^_^

Hexon.Arq
08-26-2010, 03:26 PM
The first one was an absolute, unqualified piece of dog shit. People who thought it was decently frightening, I keep on a slightly lower rung of my ladder with a post-it note reminding me why they're down there.

ShelfLife
08-26-2010, 03:29 PM
If you can't handle scary movies I say tough it up and watch this one. It's catered to you. And remember this, you may be freaked out for a few days or something, but you'll get over it and have a good experience to tell people about it. Dare to live ;)

Why does everyone think I need a good dose of horror? :P If it's not my uni friend demanding I watch Exorcist with him, it's you insisting I put myself through merry hell with this. Trust me, I've experienced the real deal, and I'm paranoid that me exposing myself to this will send out some kind of 'beacon' to all the local spooks that I want more such experiences. And no, knowing me, I wouldn't get over it. I'm that kind of wimp for the supernatural.

a Ouija board moving on its own and then catching on fire

A very similar thing happened to my mum when she was a teen.

DecayingSinner
08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
My boyfriend and I checked out the movie last year after hearing an underground buzz about the film. The film was only showing in a theater near me (out of the whole Philadelphia area). We sat in a packed theater.. waiting to be freaked out.. only to laugh at this. This movie was absolutely terrible. I could morally not give in to seeing this second one in a theater. I may get this on a rental. Probably will netflix this. For those of us who have live the Blair Witch.... I am not buying into this anymore.

Mi-CroMartie
09-29-2010, 10:11 PM
http://chud.com/articles/articles/25500/1/EXCLUSIVE-CLIP-PARANORMAL-ACTIVITY-2-A-BABY-AND-A-POOL/Page1.html

O__________O WTF?!?!? Alright, I'm REALLY tempted to see this soo badly.

Enigma
10-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes I loved REC too, be sure to watch the sequel it's just as good imo. And I'll check this one out too then.

The sequel just as good? I think [REC] is amazing, but [REC]2 was just bad. Maybe if you were spanish and could appreciate the acting you'd understand why I say this : P. Plus, it was way more focused on action, which it was a terrible idea. The first one was scary because you didn't get to know what was happening in any moment, and it let your imagination and personal fears come out. Once they tell you the reason behind all that, it all gets worse. Even worse if it's THAT reason...

R_Flagg
10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Hmm yeah, I read that a lot. I don't really get why people have a problem with the reason for it, it's a horror movie yet I see a lot of complains about realism, oh well.. And yeah am not Spanish so can't say anything about the acting. :p

secretsquirrely
10-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Hmm yeah, I read that a lot. I don't really get why people have a problem with the reason for it, it's a horror movie yet I see a lot of complains about realism, oh well.. And yeah am not Spanish so can't say anything about the acting. :p

yeah I haven't seen REC2, but the end was spoiled for me a long while ago. I don't see why anyone would complain really. It's straight up horror genre stuff. Is it unconventional? Yes. And that's most probably why people refuse to even try and stomach it I guess.

I felt that The Happening had a similar reaction. Though the movie is not a golden piece of cinema, it's not bad at all. And the explanation for the suicides, I thought, was pretty damn smart. No it's not what I was wanting or expecting...which is why I have to admire it. It was a tough pill to swallow, but I managed. I'm sure I can do the same with REC 2.

As for PA2. The full trailer has me rather interested. It does not look enar as frightening as the first, due to too many people being involved (I loved the isolated feeling of the first one), but in a way I can see how that could up the anty for a lot of folks. More people witnessing this stuff = less safety from the forces at work here. The only thing I find a shame is that there has been a Japanese sequel/remake which is being marketed as PA 2 in Japan. So, I wonder what this one will be called, if it is even going to be released at all.