PDA

View Full Version : Plans revealed for Dark Tower movies and TV series

R_Flagg
09-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Fans of Stephen King's Dark Tower series can rejoice at the news that a press release was issued a few days ago, detailing the plans of NBC Universal to make the 7-book epic into 3 movies and a TV series. Some highlights:

Universal Pictures Chairman Adam
Fogelson and Co-Chairman Donna Langley—along with Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC
Universal Television Entertainment and Angela Bromstad, President, Primetime
Entertainment, NBC & Universal Media Studios—today announced that Universal
Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have acquired the rights to produce
three films and a television series based on the seven epic novels, short stories and comic
books from Stephen King’s The Dark Tower.
Howard, Grazer and Goldsman are planning for the first film in the trilogy to be
immediately followed by a television series that will bridge the second film. After the
second film, the television series will pick up allowing viewers to explore the adventures of
the protagonist as a young man as a bridge to the third film and beyond
The Dark Tower is Stephen King’s opus of seven bestselling novels with, to date, more than
30 million copies sold in 40 countries. The novels incorporate themes from multiple
genres including fantasy, science fiction, horror and adventure. After the series was
completed, a prequel of comic books based on one of the characters was also publishedFull press release can be read here: http://www.stephenking.com/promo/dark_tower_film_and_tv/news_tracker/dark_tower_pr1.pdf

As a huge King fan, I can hardly wait to see what they're gonna do with this.

Ich_Bin_Du
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Omg omg omg omg omg yes!
I just love the Dark Tower books, I think Stephen King is a genius and I can't wait for this.
Awesome news, thanks for sharing! :D

Joker
09-18-2010, 07:48 AM
It's just a shame we can't un-age Clint Eastwood thirty years to play Roland...

Ich_Bin_Du
09-19-2010, 05:25 AM
^Yeah if they ruin Roland I'm gonna cry. Seriously.

delirium
09-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Why are people so happy that they're going to rape and pillage the Dark Tower series to make a couple bucks? Seriously.

Doppelgänger
09-19-2010, 03:08 PM
more like Dork Tower rite?

Ich_Bin_Du
09-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Why are people so happy that they're going to rape and pillage the Dark Tower series to make a couple bucks? Seriously.

Well there's a chance of...let's say 5% that it won't be completely bad so... :)

delirium
09-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Well there's a chance of...let's say 5% that it won't be completely bad so... :)

I honestly don't want to take that chance. All people want to do these days is see the movie of a book than read the actual goddamn book. It's so degrading to the literary world and lessens the impact of a novel. Stephen King has had tons of his stories turned to TV mini-series, TV series, movies, television movies, and so forth. I have to ask him why he would do that. there's an imagination that a ton of people aren't tapping into, and that makes me really sad.

Ich_Bin_Du
09-26-2010, 01:50 AM
I honestly don't want to take that chance. All people want to do these days is see the movie of a book than read the actual goddamn book. It's so degrading to the literary world and lessens the impact of a novel. Stephen King has had tons of his stories turned to TV mini-series, TV series, movies, television movies, and so forth. I have to ask him why he would do that. there's an imagination that a ton of people aren't tapping into, and that makes me really sad.

Well, I did read the books and I know that the movies will (by far) never be as good as the books, and I also know that the people like to watch the movies rather then read the books. But I'm sure that those movies would make some people read the books and I don't see something bad about that. I mean, nobody knows the Dark Tower here, so I'd be happy if it'd get more popular over here.

I agree that most of the new adaptations are crap. Harry Potter is always a good example. Well, I wouldn't say they're all crap, but especially in the latest ones you can really see that they just wanted to make some bucks. I really liked the first one, but the others got worse and worse. I still go and watch them though, simply because there might be (and there always are) some scenes which give me goosebumps. :)
And there are actually modern adaptations I really like, for example Fight club (I think movie and book add each other perfectly), or The Lord Of The Rings.

I know that I always get my hopes too high but I can't help it. I just want to have it visualized because I'm always sad when I finished a tale this epic and I want moaaaaar! I want some breeze of this epicness in the cinema. I just want some scenes that give me goosebumps. I can't help it. ;)