PDA

View Full Version : This is England '86

Barbarella
09-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Any UK people watching this series?

I'm pretty impressed with it so far even though it's a lot different to the film.

secretsquirrely
09-27-2010, 05:57 AM
The series has already made? Wow. Is it ANYTHING like the film? Because the film was masterful in an odd explotation sort of way.

Barbarella
09-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Yeah, it's been showing here for the last three weeks. The fourth and final episode is gonna be on Tuesday night.

The series doesn't have any elements of racism to speak of so in that respect it's a lot different to the movie. All the same characters are still there, i.e. Shaun, Lol, Woody, Smell, Milky, Combo etc but there's more humour to it. Having said that, the characters do have their own personal struggles and problems though. I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out for them, how all the loose ends are going to be tied up.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to see it because if you enjoyed the film, you'll thoroughly enjoy the series.

Norsefire
09-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I saw some stuff on this, but I didn't watch it. I haven't ever seen the film in full, I've seen parts so probably I should watch that before I watch the series?

Barbarella
09-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I saw some stuff on this, but I didn't watch it. I haven't ever seen the film in full, I've seen parts so probably I should watch that before I watch the series?
Yes, if you get a chance to see the movie, watch it. Then if you get around to watching the tv show, you'll have the background on it which I think is probably necessary. I think you'd enjoy it.

Dronepool
09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I downloaded the film last week because some say it's better than American History X. I'm going to watch it soon, hopefully.

Barbarella
09-28-2010, 01:12 AM
I downloaded the film last week because some say it's better than American History X. I'm going to watch it soon, hopefully.
Excellent :)

I'd be keen to hear what you think, how you think it compares or differs from American History X.

I'm loathe to give anything away about the series in case some people haven't seen the film.

Freeston3r
11-03-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm getting the DVD for Christmas! I loved the TV series. Hope they make a '90 and a '00 one that would be awesome!

Barbarella
11-03-2010, 06:40 AM
I'm getting the DVD for Christmas! I loved the TV series. Hope they make a '90 and a '00 one that would be awesome!
It was a really good series and I fully expect it'll be up for some awards when the award shows roll around again.

The acting was first class. I noticed that Shane Meadows received some criticism for using a rape storyline twice but in this case I truly think they were integral to the plot. It all added to the absolute blinding climax of the series.

Don't know if a '90 or a '00 update would be possible given that he likes to use the same actors in the roles and I'm thinking of Shaun who could only be around 20 now. It's hard to envisage him much older. Perhaps it would be better to let it lie now but who knows ... it could happen.

Vexation
12-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed This is England and the four part mini series that followed. Paddy Considine played another exceptional role in a Shane Meadows film... go figure? (for those who haven't seen Dead Mans Shoes, I suggest you rent/download a copy, it's well worth a viewing). Most of This is England '86 was shot just up the road from here (Gleadless, Sheffield) I guess they wanted to film in a place that still authentically feels like it's stuck in 1980.