PDA

View Full Version : Christina Rossetti's "Goblin Market"

Olivia
10-26-2010, 10:12 PM
While I am certainly not well-versed in any of the analysis stuff, I noticed something interesting in my British literature survey reading.

In the poem "Goblin Market," by Christina Rossetti, I found the line, "Eat me, drink me, love me." It's at approximately 471.

I am sure this is just a coincidence, but I found it to be very interesting. The poem is about two little girls, some goblins, and delicious fruit. I know that "Eat Me, Drink Me" is a reference to Alice in Wonderland, but I was thinking that there might be something there. This poem is also a very seemingly whimsical tale, but analysis uncovers some themes like temptation and sensuality that seem right up Manson's alley.

I just thought I would share this. Maybe something like this is already out there. I searched, but found nothing. If I just missed it, I appologize

Christina
11-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about my pussy.

*phew

Shangri-LIE
11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
While I am certainly not well-versed in any of the analysis stuff, I noticed something interesting in my British literature survey reading.

In the poem "Goblin Market," by Christina Rossetti, I found the line, "Eat me, drink me, love me." It's at approximately 471.

I am sure this is just a coincidence, but I found it to be very interesting. The poem is about two little girls, some goblins, and delicious fruit. I know that "Eat Me, Drink Me" is a reference to Alice in Wonderland, but I was thinking that there might be something there. This poem is also a very seemingly whimsical tale, but analysis uncovers some themes like temptation and sensuality that seem right up Manson's alley.

I just thought I would share this. Maybe something like this is already out there. I searched, but found nothing. If I just missed it, I appologize

I think we may be distressing the filters of insight a bit too much trying to adjust focal points onto Mansons art in an attempt to unwravel meanings that are hidden either in plain sight or that need to be decoded. However, we do know that Manson has a penchant for incorporating sometimes obscure riddle-esque references to literature, film, and other cultural treatises into his albums. So, to dismiss what you've presented as a mere coincidence would be unfair considering the voluminous amounts of pedantical "prophecies" that people speak through their hats in various columns within the Marilyn Manson community. However, I will add some perspicacity with my typical pomp to this overlooked hypothesis that has been posed.

If you take the time to descry into the interrelations of Lewis Carroll and Christina Rosetti as authors, if not aquaintences, you'd discover that Dodgson was partially inspired by this very poem for "Alice in Wonderland".

From an exerpt of "Goblin Market"

"One had a cat's face,
One whisked a tail,
One tramped at a rat's pace,
One crawled like a snail,
One like a wombat prowled obtuse and furry,
One like a ratel tumbled hurry skurry"

Like several authors in that time period, both Rossetti and Carroll would often use anthropomorphic characters to represent humans, or human behaviors manifested into human like characters. Therefore, the aforementioned citation quoted above could very well have been an inspiration, for instance, the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland among others. However, that is purley speculative. One thing that we do have to keep in mind is that there is an affinitive dichotomy between the two stories. A young girl(s) finds herself curious to explore, or devour something that has rules and consequences that they are oblivious to, subsequently becoming binded to adhere to, much to their throes.

A couple other notable, yet minor references that can be made, if they are even at all reference points embedded in "Eat Me Drink Me"

"But when the noon waxed bright, her hair grew thin and grey;She dwindled, as the fair full moon doth turn to swift decay, and burn her fire away" - "Goblin Market"

"We'll burn and I'll eat your ashes. Impossible we are seducing our corpse" - "If I was your Vampire"

and also, another line from "The Goblin Market" - "Cheek to cheek and breast to breast locked together in one nest."

"Lying cheek to cheek in your cold embrace." - Again, from "If I was your Vampire".

To me, it isn't really about juxtaposing lyrical content, or concepts between the record and the poem. It is more about taking the time to examine exactly how cognizant of literature Marilyn Manson is and exactly how intrinsic the influences upon his art are, and how they play a part in his cycles of deconstruction and self reinvention.

Thanks for sharing and participating, Olivia

Shangri-Fuckin-Lie

ThreeEyedGod
11-02-2010, 07:27 AM
I thought this thread was gonna be about my pussy.

*phew

I wish it would have been so I could have said, " I want to gobble your goblin".