PDA

View Full Version : Skyline.

Mi-CroMartie
11-06-2010, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS77dek-RlY

Doesn't surprise me that the directors are the same guys who made AVP: Requiem.

Looks to me the aliens are Protoss-ish and Zerg hybrid from Starcraft. :p And one of the youtube comments says the aliens look like from the game Crysis.

I like the chopper being pwnt by the tentacled giant alien.. Looks to me this could be a good Sci-fi TV movie yet again it's been a theater release.

ImNotJesus
11-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Even from the trailer that acting looks fucking awful.

Decent effects though, and TURK :D

S.Hal0mega.B
11-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Oh jeez. What a load of crap. Cock up the effects and hope the acting is more believable than what they are in the trailer.

And yes... Turk. It'll be turning this into a comedy, for all the wrong reasons.

Mi-CroMartie
11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Who or what's the TURK?

S.Hal0mega.B
11-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Who or what's the TURK?

The african american actor is this from the tv show 'Scrubs'. You know.. the show with the annoying theme music.

secretsquirrely
11-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Scrubs is fucking amazing, as is the theme song, blasphemers!

S.Hal0mega.B
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
lol, funny. the show is okay, the song crawled out of someone's anus

Hazekiah
11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I saw Skyline on opening day. I'm a big fan of the live action Transformers franchise so I figured that any movie that aped the TF trailers THAT obviously must be worth checking out and couldn't be ALL bad, lol.

Anyway, it's no masterpiece but it's not anywhere near as incompetently awful as some would have you believe, either. It's really just a mish-mash of other, better SF movies and a fairly straightforward, low budget, genre B-movie.

I went into it already knowing who directed it and that it's biggest starring talent was that other, other guy from "Scrubs" and a living, breathing Coop illustration so I pretty much knew what kind of quality to expect.

Factor in the giant scope of the plot and the tiny, tiny budget and it's actually a fairly impressive accomplishment that it ended up as well as it did considering how much it had working against it.

I understand the criticism its received, but it really is a pretty solid B-movie effort.

What it lacks in the areas of script, pacing, and originality it does pretty well trying to compensate for with some surprisingly accomplished CGI work when it finally gets around to going all out in the last half-hour or so. The last five minutes are really where it truly enters love-it-or-hate-it territory, but no matter which side you take in the debate you have to hand it to them for having the audacity to just go ahead and throw the goddamned kitchen sink in with the rest of the mess, lol.

Not expecting it to win any oscars, but I'll freely admit to enjoying it for what it is and definitely being interested in the sequels it sets-up.

It has its flaws, no doubt about it, but it's a pretty entertaining low-budget sci-fi B-movie flick.

Mi-CroMartie
11-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah it could've been better off as a Direct to DVD Sci-Fi TV movie... And the few complaints of the critics are laughable:

Like in some scnes such as:

The heroic guy pummels the squid alien with a hollow block and using his fists beating it to a pulp until he rips out the face with the brains inside it and it felt like he was hitting a bean bag chair.

OR how about when nuclear missiles fail to destroy the mothership and instead it came back ala Transformer re-assembling effect and yet the building where the survivors are inside doesn't shake but to me it did shook a bit but now blown off completely.

I liked the alien origins of how they abduct people through using their bright blue light orbs that make them feel like moths attracted to the flame.. And eating their brains out much like the ones in Starship Troopers. Only less gory.. And brain implants them on other dead youngling aliens in the ship.

The ending just screams DIRECT TO DVD SEQUEL!!! Or perhaps another cinematic release. It felt like District 9 ending too except the heroic guy turned alien protects his preggie girlfriend from other bad aliens.

CHTULU BRAIN EATING ALIENS FTW!

Even if it was like Independence Day, these ships don't blow up cities with giant blue lasers, they suck the humans all up like a giant vacuum.

Mi-CroMartie
11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I forgot to say this but Brett Ratner (Director of X-Men: The Last Stand and Red Dragon) was executive producer in this one. I'm surprised.

And another error in the trailers:

In the movie, there were no news footage and other commentators found on TV channels when the survivors turned it on.. They only showed empty newsrooms while the camera's still rolling and other channels were all colored bars and humming ads of Emergency Broadcast off the air segments

Nice.

Hazekiah
11-24-2010, 07:03 PM
^ Not really an "error," actually.

And GODDAMN, you completely FAIL at using spoiler tags, lol.

Mi-CroMartie
12-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Found this tweet from Gene Simmons himself on twitter:

SKYLINE= a terrific movie. Go see it. Critics didn't like it. They're wrong. Better than CLOVERFIELD...& feels like a follow up. Terrific.

Critics= zero. SKYLINE= 8 out of 10.

Mugwump
04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Why do you like most the most awful, mediocre movies? When you post about them, all you need to tell us is "I like explosions! Blood is cool! Spooky stuff happened! Movies rule!"

Thanks for another great film analysis, Raven Reaper. Jeez.

Sans Agendum
04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
This actually gets my vote for Worst Movie Ever.

Any straight to Television movie on SyFy channel is infinitely better by comparison.

That you attempt to drag Cthulhu into this is simply offensive.

Norsefire
04-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Skyline is one of the worst films I've seen. Now whenever a new sci fi type film is advertised and looks cool I think "could it be like Skyline?". The trailer looked good but the film was poor.