PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead

S.D.
11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Okay, so I know I'm all about the Zombies, but has anyone been watching The Walking Dead?

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/AMC-The-Walking-Dead-Ratings-Win-500x313.jpg

I started watching on recommendation, not needing any excuse to check something like this out. I haven't read the comic series before, and so beside the obvious theme was entirely uncertain what to expect. It has a British actor called Andrew Lincoln in the lead role (as an American), and I know him from a comedy show that used to be on here called Teachers.
Basically I have been absolutely loving this series, I'm currently up to the third episode, and it's been amazing every second. There may only be so many scenarios you can go through with an Apocalypse vehicle, but it's been done originally, and with dramatic effect captured really well, the characters and encounters are not specific to the Zombie premise, and the "survivor" ensemble idea is being played out with skill.

It'd be great to discuss this show here if there are other people following it, and if you want to talk about the comics as well then feel free, I hope to get copies at some point. I'll certainly be getting the DVD series when it's released, this shit is just too good not to want repeat viewings. Discuss characters, episodes, predictions and ideas etc, but please remember to place any plot developments into Spoiler tags for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen everything yet.

I fucking love this series so much!

Dronepool
11-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I love the show. Andrew Lincoln is amazing in it. I'm not even a big "ZOMBIES ARE AWESOME" guy nor did I get into the comic book (but it IS good) but yeah, the show WOWED me and I love it along with Breaking Bad (just saw it for the first time 3 weeks ago) originally I had a "meh, I'll see" attitude about it, but the first few minutes of the show and trailer changed my mind.

By reading other boards I gathered that; the show is straying away from the comic and introducing some new characters and twists to prevent people from 'catching on' to the plot. Like that racist guy (his name escapes me for now) who was handcuffed to you know what wasn't in the comic series. The only thing it sucks that episode 6 is the last and we have to wait until Halloween of 2011 to see more

S.D.
11-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Merle is the racist chap, and it's cool to note he is played by Michael Rooker, who was Henry in Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer and also featured in Mallrats.
Even though I follow Zombie stuff, I am glad it's not just that aspect of it drawing people into this show. I know the-end-of-the-world is a fairly bleak subject, but it's also something that TV doesn't tackle often, so a post-Apocalypse series is welcome. I seriously hope this becomes more and more popular and that people reading here check it out, I'd recommend it totally.
What's Breaking Bad all about as well?

Also, I agree it's a long wait for another series, and I don't think the DVD release for this season is until at least March 2011, but I guess it's good on one level that this is getting attention, I really hope the modern American tradition of strong and consistent TV production goes hand-in-hand with The Walking Dead.

Dronepool
11-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Oh man, don't worry Walking Dead had 5.6 million viewers on episode 5! That's .3 more than the premier on Halloween! I think it'll due fairly well. I mean it got a 13 episode season 2 ordered from AMC before the first season even finished. So yeah, this show has a good future as long as it manages to keep peoples interests for 11 months.

Breaking Bad is a show about a high school chemistry teacher who finds out he has lung cancer and a short time to live, so he decides to start cooking and sometimes selling crystal meth to get money for his family, which leads to him witness and do some really messed up things. I've downloaded the 3 seasons so far and I can't wait till season 4 in the summer.

I'll post up a link to a trailer or something on your user page so it doesn't clog up/derail this thread.

S.D.
12-01-2010, 02:58 PM
It got a 13 episode season 2 ordered from AMC before the first season even finished.
Yes, I read about this as well actually, it is a really positive thing to happen for a series on a network so soon into it. I get the impression at this stage, it's not a wildly expensive show either, so it'd be cool if the creators are making back their costs in fold.
I know she logs in sometimes but doesn't post a whole lot anymore, but I just read this from rararoxsox' Facebook, apparently the show's head honcho is taking things down a more independently geared route: http://m.deadline.com/2010/12/the-walking-dead-lets-go-of-writers-considers-no-writing-staff-for-season-2/

To be fair, I can understand why that might seem odd or damaging to an American audience, because most of your shows are created with a consistent writing team who develop shows and characters periodically. It's worrying to me they used the example of Starz involvement with Torchwood, simply because I would never want Russell T. Davies anywhere near another television series I'm fond of, but I am sure that's just an example. The case in point seems to be that like with some shows over here, we don't always have a set writing team, but a showrunner can take the reigns and hire the people they feel best qualified. It's encouraging also that despite knowing nothing about Frank Darabont, he wrote a good majority of the first series of The Walking Dead. But back to the Davies example, he did the same for the relaunch of Doctor Who, and that level of involvement started out a lot more positively than it ended up.
We can only wait and see what goes on there though.

Thanks for the Breaking Bad video as well, I'll check that out soon and see if I dig the sound of the show.

Norsefire
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I want to check this out, haven't got time to get in to any more TV series right now, so I will probably catch it sometime when it's out on DVD.
Well I could watch it now, but I think this is something I want to give all my attention to.. like LOST. lol

S.Hal0mega.B
12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I started watching it, quite good for tv.

Angeles
12-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I am very eager to see this show, but I am trying to avoid reading any spoilers or major info as it is currently not airing in Australia and I'm not going to be watching it online due to the fact I'm currently sharing an internet connection and it's not running at the fastest of speeds.

I did read on IGN earlier today that season one would soon be coming to DVD and Blu-Ray (http://au.bluray.ign.com/articles/113/1137557p1.html), although considering how successful the show is that's not really a surprise.

I look forward to joining in the conversation when I've actually managed to see the show.

Sdemonik
12-02-2010, 06:00 AM
I watched the first 2 episodes the week after it premiered it was really good,
but lately i had no time to watch it, so i'm gonna wait till it's all over so i can watch a marathon or just wait till the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Edit: The only series that kept me watching was True Blood, i'd never miss an episode. :)

S.D.
12-08-2010, 02:35 AM
It is currently not airing in Australia and I'm not going to be watching it online due to the fact I'm currently sharing an internet connection and it's not running at the fastest of speeds.
Ah, that sucks. I know it is still piracy and a relative luxury to just be able to find things online like that, but if you're prevented from doing so and can see things in no other way it's annoying.

I watched the first 2 episodes the week after it premiered it was really good,
but lately i had no time to watch it, so i'm gonna wait till it's all over so i can watch a marathon or just wait till the DVD/Blu-Ray release.
I will admit that I'm checking these out on video sites, which is something I hate doing with a show that I really like, but at the end of the day I have no cable television and no one living around me who I could watch the episodes as they air in England with, so I'd not really see it any other way before commercial release. That said, I will most DEFINITELY be purchasing the DVD of this, probably as soon as it comes out, as I'm not ripping the episodes or anything, just watching them stream on video players.

Last night I did a late-night run through of Episode 4, Vatos, and straight into Episode 5, Wildfire. There's some fucking grim scenes coming up for those who havene't got this far yet, but fuck if everything wasn't acted and handled brilliantly.
I won't say anything spoileresque, but it's interesting how the show explores choices made by survivors, and the identities they assume after an apocalypse situation. It's the sort of thing a film on the same subject just wouldn't have the time to do, there are usually either outcasts, redeemers, martyrs or victims in Zombie movies, but you never really get to see why or how for very long.

Again, no descriptions of the episodes from me, I have yet to see the finale as well, but fuck if this is not one of the best things I have seen on TV for a long time.

Dronepool
12-08-2010, 03:01 AM
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/12/robert-kirkman-fan-interview.php

The Walking Dead comic book creator and series executive producer answers your questions about why "walkers" aren't referred to as "zombies," what his hopes are for Season 2 and why being a zombie might not be so bad after all.

Q: How do you think your zombie tale differs from all those that have come before? -- Eric Converset
A: Probably the most prominent difference is the fact that it does continue. There's never really been any kind of zombie story that follows the cast for an unusual amount of time, and we're going to get to see these characters grow and evolve. I think that's the most interesting aspect of the show, and probably the biggest difference.

Q: Why don't your characters call the walkers "zombies"? -- Erica Badu
A: The main reason is because "zombie" is a term that we are accustomed to hearing, and when the characters run around saying "zombie" it takes you out of the story. This is supposed to take place in a world where no one has ever heard of a zombie before. So we just don't use that word. Everyone they encounter will have different names for zombies. Some people are calling them "geeks" in the show. I think we will eventually find a group of people that call them "roamers" and "lurkers" and "biters" like in the comic.

Q: The comic book series didn't include a story about the CDC. What is the motivation behind that part of the show? -- Andrew Neisess
A: That was something Frank [Darabont] came at me with very early on. And I think that it's a good idea: When you're in that area, and there exists something like the CDC, it's only logical that those people would seek that out in order to get answers. I don't think that the fact that it didn't happen in the comic book is a good enough reason not to do it. I liked the addition of Dr. Jenner and the different things that came about from their time there. And for any purists that are angry about it, all I would say is the episode ends with them in an RV, going off down an open road. For all we know they're five miles away from Hershel's farm. I can't wait to see Hershel's farm. I think that would be a cool storyline. I would like to see Maggie, Glenn's love interest. I'm anxious to see who's going to play Michonne, and how she's going to be played on screen. That'd be pretty cool.

Q: What was the thought process behind deciding to have the Shane subplot go on longer? -- Joshua Beane
A: Well that is a good example of fixing something that I should have done in the comic book. When I was writing it, I didn't know if the book would last six issues or twelve issues or three issues. So my mode of operation was to get all of the cool stuff out and move on to more cool stuff so I could get as much story in the printed issues as I could before the book was canceled. It was, "There's a great love triangle. OK it's over. Let's move on." Frank is able to come in and go, "Hey, there's a lot of value to this story, and this Shane character is very interesting." His story line is great, Jon Bernthal is an amazing actor and I want to see more of that guy on the show. And it's a very cool thing because now he has already lived past the point where he died in the comic book, so he's a complete unknown for fans. I want them to be watching the show unsure of what's going to happen next, because that's the best part of reading the comic.

Q: Who is your favorite character so far in the TV series, and does it differ from your favorite character in the comic? -- Megan Wallace
A: I hate to play favorites, and everybody's doing a good job, but screw it: Daryl Dixon is probably my favorite character. And there's a very clear reason for this... He's new to me and he's exciting to me. Rick is super-exciting for the viewers, but I know Rick. I've been writing Rick for almost eight years... Norman Reedus playing Daryl, he's just a great addition to the cast. I love his behavior, I love his dialogue, I love his crossbow! I'm so jealous that I haven't had anybody use a crossbow in the comic book. I was totally asleep at the wheel on that one. I need to get some crossbow action in the comic now!
Q: What's your favorite type of scene to write for The Walking Dead? -- Isaac Cole
A: The ones where people die. [Laughs] When we were deciding which script I was going to write, we were talking about Episode 4, and I knew that the attack was planned to fall around that time, and that's where Amy was going to die. And I was thinking to myself, "Oh yes. I will totally take the episode where people die. That is what I want to do." And I just love the fact that on the TV show there's not really any major character deaths until I come in and write my scripts. I kind of want to make that a mandate: If you want me to write an episode, I have to be able to kill somebody. I do feel bad about it, though, because killing characters is firing actors.

Q: What are the differences you faced between writing a comic book script and a TV script? -- schizorabbit
A: The formats are mostly similar, but the comic book scripts I write are a little bit more hands-on, more visual direction than a television screenplay. But one of the cool things about writing a television script is you have the benefit of working with a writer's room. So I spent weeks working on the story with a group of guys and Frank before one word was ever typed. When I write a comic book, it's just full steam ahead: I think of something and decide to do it at the same time. But when you're writing a television show, you think of an idea and then four guys pick it apart, poke holes in it and through that process improve it. So I quite enjoyed the process.

Q: If you ever got bit by a zombie, would you want to be "taken care of" or let yourself turn? -- Jessica Bolton
A: I would totally let myself turn. You don't even know what's going to happen when you turn into a zombie. And dying is such an unknown -- I don't know what's going to happen when I die. But I've seen zombies walking around, and they don't seem unhappy. For all you know, you're in some kind of sunshine land and everyone looks like a drumstick. Maybe I'll eat my loved ones and they'll be zombies too and we'll all be happy.

Q: Should the apocalypse occur, what would you take with you when fleeing your home? -- Jennifer Joseph
A: My life. I would commit suicide very early on in a zombie apocalypse, just because I've been writing this book for almost eight years and it seems like a living hell. I'm not suicidal -- I'm a happy-go-lucky guy -- but oh Lordy, I would not want to live in that world. There are no cheeseburgers in the apocalypse, and I'm kind of partial to those things. And also, to completely negate the previous answer: I would not want to be bitten by a zombie. God that would horrible, can you imagine? I've been bitten by a child before and it is just awful.

Q: Is that skunk your pet? - Matt Day
A: I was bitten by a skunk during my photo shoot. [Laughs] That's Millie my pet skunk. I keep her here with me in backwoods Kentucky. And she eats mostly cabbage. She's de-skunked, so she doesn't have those glands. De-glanded and de-clawed, she's a very docile creature.

S.D.
12-09-2010, 06:00 AM
It's pretty cool they allowed members of the public to ask questions (Unless that actually was Erica Badu...), he gave some really great answers, and I also think it's great how it's been established that as a creator of something "Cult", he's fully supportive of its mainstream adaptation, and has even participated.
I've yet to see the finale, I think I want to sit down and really take my time with it, but I love what he said about Shane, and also things like the expansion of characters following Apocalypse in a series format, which pretty much mirrors what I said earlier as well.

I've also heard, just by word-of-mouth basically that this show has really grabbed the attention of a lot of casual viewers as well, not just the usual types who would check an Undead vehicle out, so I am pleased to hear that, we can only hope that things develop nicely for the second series.

iggy
02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
It's an awesome show, with little nods to virtually every zombie flick ever made. While this is pretty awesome, it's also the show's major weakness. It just doesn't bring anything new to the zombie genre. It's just the same themes we've seen in dozens if not hundreds of zombie movies before, although superbly executed and in a format more fitting for television.

Hell, after 28 Days Later and the remake of Dawn Of The Dead, I'm completely stunned that they made the zombies slow shambling corpses again, instead of speed running superfreaks of most modern zombie films.

I can't wait to see how season 2 fares, I think they'll take a lot more risks with the series and it will be able to live up to it's potential.

S.D.
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Grr, I can't FUCKING believe this.

I have been checking the online listings for a DVD release date in the UK literally every day since the finale aired, and was pleased to read that the US date would be in March. Not long to wait right? Usually UK dates aren't too far apart from US releases right...? No, fucking JUNE this comes out in England. June?! What sort of shit is that? Eugh, not impressed. Seriously, regardless of when it is out elsewhere that is weak as fucking anything, the series finished over two months ago, and it's going to take this piss-weak country another four months for the thing to get a commerical release?!

The reason I'm so annoyed and not considering doing what a lot of others might and getting a DVD rip or whatever is simply because I already had to watch it online, not having access to cable channels in the UK, and just on a personal level I would love to own a copy myself. I've been recommending this show to friends and family since I saw the first episode and was looking forward to watching it with some of them soon, which I guess will have to wait now.

It's an awesome show, with little nods to virtually every zombie flick ever made. While this is pretty awesome, it's also the show's major weakness. It just doesn't bring anything new to the zombie genre. It's just the same themes we've seen in dozens if not hundreds of zombie movies before, although superbly executed and in a format more fitting for television.
I definitely agree with you that the staple scenarios, characters, obstacles and atmosphere are classic to the Nth Degree. I also agree that this presents the seasoned Zombie viewer with something of a familiarity complex, but at the same time I just couldn't help but love every minute, even when I knew I was seeing something deliberately cliche.
It's almost as though you watched your favourite Zombie film, but wanted it to last longer, didn't want the "Sunset" ending to be the last you saw of the characters, and felt each and every scene needed a few minutes longer to drum home the severity and desolation of an undead apocalypse. That's what this series did for me, and I'm really glad you liked it.

Oh and hey, did you also read the interview comment about not "knowing" the word 'Zombie' already? It was done in Shaun Of The Dead for comedy purposes (The 'Z' Word), but I figured you'd enjoy the re-established canon aspect.

Vexation
04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I've been meaning to watch it since I saw previews for it on FX last year, my friend Paul finally convinced me to watch it. So two week or so ago I caught a re-run of the first episode on Five and later on did episodes 2-6 in one go via torrent. Kick ass series, I'm suprised they fired the entire writing staff for series one because I really liked the pacing of the six episodes. Maybe it's because I'm from England and most of our show formats are six episodes long but shit happened, none of this it'll pick up in the second series like Heroes or Lost. I'm waiting for series two with a zombies hunger.

S.D.
07-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Time to get excited...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff7q8Keb8JU

Thanks to rararoxsox for the video link on Facebook.

Mi-CroMartie
07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I enjoyed Season 1 despite it only had 6... It's been almost like 2 yrs of hiatus I think.. It's about fucking time.

S.D.
07-24-2011, 04:41 AM
I enjoyed Season 1 despite it only had 6... It's been almost like 2 yrs of hiatus I think..
Uh, the premiere of Season One was literally just last October, and at the end of the month as well. It's been less than a year since the show started and ended and it'll be less than a year when it's back on screen.

The trailer is interesting, I've still not sampled the graphic novels so I can only reflect on the show itself, but it seems they're turning the tables on the group banding together, now there is dissent in the ranks. Introduction of new characters will shake things up I imagine, and I'm also curious to see where they all end up, and why. I don't read spoilers for shows so I've genuninely no clue what's next for The Walking Dead, but even from a short trailer I sense I'll enjoy it as much as the first run.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Is there anyone else who absolutely fucking LOVE's this series? For those of you who are not familiar with it here is the trailer of Season 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1v0uFms68U

I strongly recommend this show, even if you don't think you'll like it give it a chance. I thought the same thing when this series first aired and a friend talked me into watching the pilot episode and I got hooked. Season 3 starts this fall and I can't wait!

08-08-2012, 02:31 AM
I thought season 1 was really good, but found the second season to be almost unbearable.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 02:34 AM
I thought season 1 was really good, but found the second season to be almost unbearable.

What didn't you like about it?

08-08-2012, 03:41 AM
The heavy focus on Ophelia being lost was draining, and ultimately pointless. It also predictably rotated between two types of scenarios throughout the series which really irritated me: action and emotional chat between individuals in the group. Rick's relationship with his son was also very boring and felt very stock standard and 'American'. I watched this quite awhile ago so it is hard to remember everything, but yeah, I find the first season to be really great. The second season was still worth watching and I'll definitely be illegally downloading the third season :)

Mi-CroMartie
08-08-2012, 04:33 AM
yeah well, that Ophelia zombie scene and Rick shooting in a headshot tears me to pieces. I hate seeing innocent children end up like that. :((

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 05:03 AM
That would be a terrible situation to find yourself in, having to shoot a child (although it was a Zombie) then having to rationalize it in your head afterwards. Especially if it was a child that you personally knew and had some sort of affection for.

Emma
08-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Personally I thought Season 2 was great. What some forget is The Walking Dead is not strictly a zombie show, it's a human show. The writers of both the show and the graphic novel, all said that the phrase "walking dead" actually refers to the humans. There were some elements which were drawn out, but that moment when the barn opened and Sophia came through was heartbreaking and it showed the struggles between Rick and Shane - in the end Shane was the big I am but he couldn't do the tough choice.

TThe ending was brilliant though, especially with the arrival of Michonne whom those who have read the graphic novels will be familiar with and I like we are finally going to see the Governor - this will add an even bigger dynamic to the show.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 05:45 AM
I think you all are mistaking Ophelia with 'Sophia'.

And yes it is very much a human show, if an actual Zombie Apocalypse transpired we'd be in more danger from ourselves than Zombies. And the larger a group you are connected to the more chances for conflict within it. Too many pushing for the Alpha Male position, too many Shane's and Merrell's are out there.

Most of the groups misery comes from within the group than the walkers themselves. Something like that would truly show who you really are deep down within, and actual survival would mean being able to live with yourself when it's all said and done.

And yes the ending of Season 2 was great, I don't know if you all have seen the trailer for Season 3 yet, if not here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQz68Zkb3Y

thousand_kisses
08-08-2012, 05:54 AM
i hadn't seen that -- thank you!!!

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 06:23 AM
i hadn't seen that -- thank you!!!

My pleasure, you excited?

Emma
08-08-2012, 06:40 AM
I think you all are mistaking Ophelia with 'Sophia'.

Ooops - sorry, you know when you have one of those moments when you read the conversation and get distracted by it - d'oh!

And yeah the trailer looks brilliant - really good.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Poor little Sophia, she was chased by Zombies, got lost, alone, scared, afraid, sad....then get's turned into a Zombie, put in a barn and shot in the head.

If THAT wasn't enough people are now calling her by the wrong name. *tears* Hey cruel world....

kalim123
08-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Anyway, I read some of the comics before the TV show, & I stopped at about volume 12 because I got so annoyed because of all the sex there was in it. I wanted more zombies. Then when the TV show started I thought "I'll give it a try". I had the exact same feelings about it. Everyone at my school loves it & talks about how it's great. You think 50 yr old men & women doing it & then a few zombies come along and get shot and then someone dying and turning into a zombie at the end of every episode is entertainment?!. Please.

Emma
08-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Anyway, I read some of the comics before the TV show, & I stopped at about volume 12 because I got so annoyed because of all the sex there was in it. I wanted more zombies. Then when the TV show started I thought "I'll give it a try". I had the exact same feelings about it. Everyone at my school loves it & talks about how it's great. You think 50 yr old men & women doing it & then a few zombies come along and get shot and then someone dying and turning into a zombie at the end of every episode is entertainment?!. Please.

Kalim with the greatest of respect you've missed the point of the show and the graphic novels - its a human story about the way people react when the end of the world happens - sex is a part of it but it is certainly not all of it or a significant part except for what it shows as the human relationships. The story has little to do with Zombies and more to do with the way humans will react when faced with the situation they are - how strangers will becomes friends, friends will turn on each other, some humans will work to help others while other humans will work to take advantage of the situation.

Your description of the show does not resemble the show itself.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Hang on there formaldehyde, apparently you don't even watch the series....Lori/Shane, (Season 1, Episode 2) Glenn/Maggie (Season 2, Episode 4) Andrea/Shane, (Season 2, Episode 6)

These are the only ones who have been shown to be engaged in any sexual activity in the entire show thus far, 19 episodes...3 times. That like .57% of the entire sum. And no character on the entire series thus far is above the age of 43 with the exception of 3 people, Hershel, Dale, Merrell. Hershel being the oldest (70) Dale (65) Merrell (57) and neither of these characters have had sex or even close to having sex. Everyone else is 43 years old or younger...between the ages of 43-25 and Carl is (13) so where in the name of fuck are you getting " You think 50 yr old men & women doing it" from?

And thus far, Amy, Sophia, Randall (who was only in the series for 2 episodes) and Shane have came back as Zombies. Anyone else was shot in the fucking skull before they had the chance to come back. And only 2 episodes out of 19 does someone get bitten and come back as walkers.

Again, where does the "then someone dying and turning into a zombie at the end of every episode" come from? OH, I know....it comes from someone who hasn't watched the goddamn show past 2 commercials, that's where.

I'm all about people having the right to their opinion, but for fucks sake you can't form an intelligent opinion when you haven't even watched the motherfucking series. Get your facts straight, and do some research before stating shit that isn't factual. Do your homework, I did.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Okay Emma, thousand_kisses, Mi-CroMartie (and anyone else) Zombie out break....what's the first thing you do? Survival plans?

Emma
08-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Okay Emma, thousand_kisses, Mi-CroMartie (and anyone else) Zombie out break....what's the first thing you do? Survival plans?

I don't know - the fight or flight instinct kicks in, in many ways. I'm trained as a security guard years ago and as such am trained to deal with confrontational situations but I'm not brazen to say I would do, with certainty, this, this or this in a hypothetical situation. I've seen guys as big as a house, built like a brick shithouse, laugh and joke about going in for tattoos and yet when the situation happens, they have fainted, cried and whimpered, yet I love getting tattooed.

My point being, who knows.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 08:45 AM
I know what you mean, I was a bouncer for 6 years at a rough neck night club in Louisiana and I have experience with hunting/fishing/farming/outdoor cooking/camping/ etc....and that's all fine and well, but when shit hits the fan who knows. All I can say for certain is that I'd protect my family at all cost if at all possible.

Emma
08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
All I can say for certain is that I'd protect my family at all cost if at all possible.

I think thats all anyone can say they will try to do in a hypothetical such as this.

Anyway back to the show discussion I suppose.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I think thats all anyone can say they will try to do in a hypothetical such as this.

Anyway back to the show discussion I suppose.

Well, this is show discussion...besides, I don't think an entire thread dedicated to Zombie survival would go over so well here. Ha ha.

I'd share beef jerky with you Emma if we crossed paths in a Zombie Apocalypse, but you get the cheap stuff....don't even eye my Buffalo jerky....I'll be watchin' you! O_O

kalim123
08-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Thankyou people. Now Emma, I know that the shows about humans and stuff, but that doesn't change my opinion on the show. I really wanted more zombies, but at the end of the day, it is what it is & I don't like it & you do. Anyway, the other guy with the cool name, I actually have watched some episodes not just 2 adverts ( that's what we call commercials where I'm from) and I know that was probably just an exaggeration, just like I exaggerated things in my post, like the 50 yr old part. And the bit about sex, I was kinda referring to the comics, I shouldn't have put that.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 09:23 AM
It's okay, I forgive you...I called you formaldehyde, that's a term of endearment where I come from. :D

Emma
08-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Well Kalim you're entitled to not like, but having also read all the graphic novels even then this exaggeration is just that. It's fair though you wanted something from the show and the novels that it was never meant to give. It's a shame but hey we can't all like the same thing

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 09:44 AM
We all like to breath and eat....so close enough. :p Nah, the show can't please everyone.

DecayingSinner
08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I am finally watching the first episode. Hope it's good.

Ulysses Black
08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I am finally watching the first episode. Hope it's good.

Oh it's bad ass dude! Hope you like it!

kalim123
08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
It's OK guys. Plus I was wondering why you called me formalhyde. What's it mean & where do you come from? I'm English

Ulysses Black
08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
It's OK guys. Plus I was wondering why you called me formalhyde. What's it mean & where do you come from? I'm English

From the United States LOL

Mugwump
10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
*ahem*

kleiner352
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Spoilers Abound

So this season has been pretty intense and has been in my opinion the best so far. Andrew Lincoln is shining as Rick and the material they're using is some of the best from the comics. I'm enjoying seeing The Governor get presented as a bit more than just a crazy out-right villain as he was in the comics and instead much more of a sociopath (and it doesn't help that the actor played as the almost-Doctor in Doctor Who and looks like the love child of Bruce Campbell and Liam Neeson either).

Lori dying was the best thing this show did, although I hated that in the few episodes beforehand she was starting to seem more level-headed. Andrea however is the new annoying character that doesn't do anything that isn't extremely selfish and entitled. I'm honestly hating her plot-line and wish they had introduced the Woodbury arc differently than with Andrea, simply because I do not like her at all in the show (the actress does a fine job, it's just the character herself).

This season has cut the bullshit so to speak and has had little to no filler, which was my biggest issue with Season 2 (seriously, eight episodes of dicking around the woods). Carl is a strong character now, Glen has gotten the character development he needed to match Comics Glen, and Rick is now the leader he is supposed to be. I'm very happy with where the series is going and if it stays this good I'll be more than happy to see more seasons.

Mi-CroMartie
11-26-2012, 04:15 PM
And to top it off, the Governor played by David Morrisey himself asks Maggie to take off her clothes and bra during the interrogation scene... Major boner there. Also, Andrea is totally oblivious to the going ons around the Governor's isolated town where they use zombies for their amusement and one scientist experimenting on a dying old man to see if even if he turns into a walker, he'd still recognize the names of his family. Intense shit.

Mugwump
11-26-2012, 08:30 PM
And to top it off, the Governor played by David Morrisey himself asks Maggie to take off her clothes and bra during the interrogation scene... Major boner there… Also, Andrea is totally oblivious to the going ons around the Governor's isolated town where they use zombies for their amusement and one scientist experimenting on a dying old man to see if even if he turns into a walker, he'd still recognize the names of his family. Intense shit.

I like this review of The Walking Dead.

MisanthroPope
11-26-2012, 10:04 PM
It's gotten a lot better this season. Still, I hate all the characters and think plenty of the acting and dialog is cringe worthy. It doesn't seem to be taking itself as seriously and that allows be to enjoy it as dumb fun.

Christina
11-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I actually almost cried when Lori died. I was thinking there would be some twist of her still being alive but it didn't happen :(

MisanthroPope
11-26-2012, 11:24 PM
I almost cried when Hershel didn't die. Man, was I pissed. Annoying, old fuck.

Adonai
11-27-2012, 03:10 AM
I just started watching this show within the past week or so and I LOVE it, already on season three this morning. I don't think there is anything about it I dislike, they use a lot of CG, but that hasn't really bothered me all that much.

Trigg
11-28-2012, 05:44 PM
It was about time T-Dog was taken out of the equation, he was a pointless character in the first place because after all it was just tokenism. And I think Carl redeemed himself from the last two seasons, I mean hey, if shooting your mom in the head doesn't earn you some sympathy points then nothing will.

S.D.
12-17-2012, 05:33 AM
You know, I was thinking last night. In many ways, the power-struggle between Rick and Shane was always a dichotomous relationship. Despite a period of time having elapsed between Rick's coma, the apocalypse, and Rick subsequently joining the survival group, The Walking Dead more-or-less started with Rick and Shane heading the group together. Even the pre-apocalypse flashbacks supported this duality between them.

With Shane gone - despite how much of an asshole he was - Rick's balance is unstable. He's been turning to other male figures in the group to re-establish that balance, first there was the patriarchal struggle between he and Hershel, and now he's enlisted Daryl into the Woodbury campaign. Now, I think Daryl is possibly the best character the show has at the moment - Norman Reedus is brilliant, and I like all the conflicts and scenarios Daryl's encountered so far - but if Shane had been part of storming Woodbury it would easily have been him confronting the Governor, or fire-storming the cells where Glenn and Maggie were held.
Of course, Shane's unpredictability and immediacy were also his downfall, but the fact remains that Rick has no one to bounce his 'leader' role off of any more. Bizarrely, the only person in the group who has started to initiate any sort of leadership is Carl. I think they're trying to wait that one out until the character is a little older, but the hint of a relationship between he and Beth and his continued independent decisions and gun usage at the prison definitely point towards a developing role.

It's fuck-annoying having to wait until February for the second half of the series, but I'm excited to see what happens between Daryl and Merle. I don't think they'll be executed in Woodbury, but I also don't think Merle's going to be able to walk free after his role in the Governor's plans, neither do I think there can be any reconciliation between he and Daryl. Daryl's journey has essentially been one of rehabilitation already, his trials in Chupacabra, and continued dedication to Carol have seemingly erased his trust issues with the group from the second series.
Unless her friendship with Michonne stands for anything, I think the real thorn-in-the-side character is going to be Andrea. She's so fucking pious sometimes, and although she's another person struggling for independence, her and The Governor are just about as annoying as one another that she'll still be fooled by his 'Leader Of Men' routine and support his role in Woodbury.

Dope Box
01-04-2013, 09:08 AM
I hate you guys for not using spoiler tags. I just finished watching season 2 and I already know Lori dies in the next season from just scrolling down. :(

Anyways, I finished the first two seasons in four days and I have a full time job. So yeah, this show fucking rules! Gonna start with the third season tomorrow. I loved the whole Rick-Shane thing. For me that was the whole thing that kept season 2 interesting. It's sad how it all ended for Shane. The closing moments of the last episode had Rick announcing that their group was no longer a "democracy". He looks tired and unstable now, as opposed to how he has been so composed and level-headed for the most part of the series. This spices things up and makes me look forward to the third season. I am kind of glad I still have eight episodes left to watch before the series takes off again in February :D.

Toxica
01-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I hate you guys for not using spoiler tags. I just finished watching season 2 and I already know Lori dies in the next season from just scrolling down. :(

Anyways, I finished the first two seasons in four days and I have a full time job. So yeah, this show fucking rules! Gonna start with the third season tomorrow. I loved the whole Rick-Shane thing. For me that was the whole thing that kept season 2 interesting. It's sad how it all ended for Shane. The closing moments of the last episode had Rick announcing that their group was no longer a "democracy". He looks tired and unstable now, as opposed to how he has been so composed and level-headed for the most part of the series. This spices things up and makes me look forward to the third season. I am kind of glad I still have eight episodes left to watch before the series takes off again in February :D.

I also did not know about Lori until I came here... oops! My hubby and I are halfway through season 2... trying to catch up before it returns from hiatus!
I'm a sucker for Daryl... anyone else? :P

thousand_kisses
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
i love daryl and they better NOT kill him off!!!

Username
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM

I've read all the comics. The whole show has alredy been spoilt.

Mi-CroMartie
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
For Toxica and any Daryl groupies: :P

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/everybody-makes-fun-of-the-redneck.jpg

Btw, speaking of Walking Dead, anyone played the game version of this franchise? Completely destroyed my emotions in the ending.

Toxica
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
For Toxica and any Daryl groupies: :P

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/everybody-makes-fun-of-the-redneck.jpg

Btw, speaking of Walking Dead, anyone played the game version of this franchise? Completely destroyed my emotions in the ending.

I love that picture... was thinking it should be my desktop picture.
My sister has that game... I need to play!

Dope Box
01-04-2013, 06:13 PM

I did. It's amazing or what? The game is pretty much the reason I decided to check out the TV show. I know that it's probably not worth comparing or anything, but I personally think the game is on a totally different level of amazing, because of the emotional roller-coaster it is. The show is great too, but doesn't come close to the game. The story of Lee Everett and Clementine is probably one of the most memorable stories in any game ever. Massive kudos to the developers for how they presented it all.

I'm a sucker for Daryl... anyone else? :P

He's cool. I guess some of you guys probably knew it from the beginning or something, but after a really long ass-time I just randomly watched Lady Gaga's Judas video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc) today and discovered he was in it playing Judas! I honestly didn't know anything about Norman Reedus before I started watching this series and was pleasantly surprised.

My sister has that game... I need to play!

Do it, NAO!

Mi-CroMartie
01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Toxica, you should play that game and prepare a BOX FULL OF KLEENEX.. Episode 3-5 completely meltdown your emotions....

Toxica
01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm definitely going to try it at my sisters this weekend. Yep, lame weekend up ahead!

Christina
01-08-2013, 10:18 PM

My bad, dawg. :(

Toxica
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Just finished getting caught up! So excited! Now I get to play the waiting game with everyone else >.<

Emma
01-20-2013, 05:55 AM
It's back on Feb 15th in the UK - cant wait, it's agonising where they left the cliffhanger.

Toxica
02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
One more week (or just over for some of you) until TWD returns! Who's excited?

Norsefire
02-14-2013, 05:50 PM
So it's back!
I have to say I was disappointed with this episode, there wasn't much happening and for the first episode after a break it was kind of slow and a bit boring.

Toxica
02-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Agreed. It was very dialogue filled. I guess setting up for what's to come. Still looking forward to the next one!

blue angel
02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
This show is pretty interesting. I like it, but not as much as True Blood.

S.D.
02-14-2013, 09:00 PM
It's difficult to tell whether this is deliberate or a writing issue, but at the moment it feels as though there's a lot of incidental and recurring characters who've become redundant, or are stagnating within the plot. Even Rick suffers from this sometimes, which is why he often needs to be conflicted with other central figures, or go a bit mad.
People who originally had potential have started to jar really easily with established characters, and conversely, the seemingly menial characters are becoming more interesting. This trend started most obviously with Daryl, who remains the most intriguing, but he wasn't allowed to express it this episode following the Woodbury fiasco.
Milton, Beth, Carol, even goddamn Carl are all showing little pockets of activity that could propel them in future, we'll have to wait and see.

Conversely, I'd happily go the rest of this show's run without seeing Andrea, Michonne or Merle ever again. They've become useless characters. Merle's best appearances were in Guts and Chupacabra, whereas Andrea lost vision after Dale was killed. I miss Dale, I think he could have provided a lot more depth to her story than any interaction with Michonne or The Governor. The latter two characters as well, are too one-sided and impulsive. I understand the nature of the show is about traversing the danger of walkers and human nature, but they're too unpredictable, you never know where a scene is going if they're in it, and Michonne's mute act has become annoying as fuck, it adds no layers to whatever her problem is at all.

I know the writing team work together to progress the show, but I blame Evan Reilly for the poor series resumption. His previous episodes were all similar - especially Walk With Me and Nebraska - weighted under dialogue that positions itself as crucial, but ends up downplaying significant action sequences, and eventually slows down the plot overall and character development.

Holocaust_King
02-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Is anyone else very indifferent to this show?

I agree with George A. Romero on The Walking Dead and other modern zombie films/tv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viI9Kg99YFE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MisanthroPope
02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Is anyone else very indifferent to this show?

I actually think I'm done watching. I've come to realize that I only really keep watching out of false hope of it getting awesome and so I can bitch/make fun of it.

I hate pretty much all the characters. They have really no distinct personality and it seems like all their dialogue is interchangeable. I want awful deaths for all of them. I shouldn't be rooting for guys like Merle and The Governor but I am. Merle is a dick and says things I find funny. I don't get the love for his brother Daryl one bit. He has been given some of the worst lines in this show and the fact that Reedus is possibly the worst actor on the show doesn't help. Any watched this guy in The Messengers 2 or Cigarette Burns? Terrible.

I'll admit, the first half of this season was some dumb fun that I enjoyed but the mid season premiere was as dull as anything in the first half of season 2. I've loved zombies since I was a child, I love drama, this should be the show for me. Somehow, though, none of it works. I wish I could see what everyone else does. Anyway, I just don't feel the need to watch another episode.

Oh, and I miss you so very much, Shane.

kleiner352
02-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I've enjoyed the comics for a while (like all comics anymore I buy trades sporadically and occasionally so I've not finished what's available just yet), and I will say that they are miles away from the show. For everyone that finds the characters irritating or poorly developed on the show, it is well worth checking out the comics, where Lori isn't a bitch, where Rick is more like how Shane was at his more level-headed but authoritative moments, where Dale doesn't die at the farm and where the farm is a few issues, not hours upon hours of soap-opera dialogue, and where you don't spend a dozen issues wondering where the little girl is.

That said, I do enjoy the show as its own thing and while the second season made me super reluctant about the series in general, I've found the third overall more satisfying than the first and by far more than the second. I feel like so far season three has been trying to address every complaint fans of the books have had with the show, and while too much fan-service is a bad thing, too little is just as bad in some cases and I feel like the changes so far have been for the better. I do wish that Andrea would stop being so completely inane and ditsy, but oh well, at least we don't have to deal with the soap-opera love affair of Lori anymore.

Last week's (the first episode of the second half of season 3) was really an episode that to me felt like one of those "we just had an action-packed plot-heavy episode so let's have an intermediary episode of seeing the consequences of that episode", and the show and many other shows have done this for a while. It doesn't make for the most exciting episode at all, but it is needed. If every episode was guns-blazing and constant big "theater moments", I feel like it would get old fast and the big moments would feel a lot smaller. I think that really they've got the tracks laid down at this point for the show to become fucking fantastic, it's just a matter of them actually following them now.

Also, as for why people like Daryl so much: He isn't in the comics, so for a lot of fans it gives us a character to watch whose story we don't know and so it adds a level of excitement/uncertainty that otherwise isn't too prevalent; a lot of the characters, I sit and think to myself, "Oh so this is the one where they die," or "Oh so this is the one where they ___". Daryl doesn't have that, and it's a good thing

S.D.
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I agree with George A. Romero on The Walking Dead and other modern zombie films/tv
You see, I'd maybe be sympathetic to Romero's perspective if I thought it was genuine, but there's a lot of deliberate nostalgia going on there. Romero's just as much about the 'pornographic' death scene as any zombie vehicle, he just manages to dress it under the mantle of 'agenda' because of when his original Dead series were made, and the sociological issues they address. He can't seriously sit there though, and claim the absolutely intentional white-wall-headshots in Dawn Of The Dead (especially when Stephen gets it), or the disembowelment of Captain Rhodes are not in-part visceral pornography. Romero spearheaded the undead 'show don't tell' trend, there's no use going back on it now.
Also, The Walking Dead is a television programme, which at the end of this series will have clocked up almost 1600 minutes of screen time, presumably with more to follow. Romero's entire Dead canon currently only has about 600 minutes in total. It stands to reason that a more progressive television programme dealing with a central group of characters will have more to show than six films introducing a completely new group every time.
I also dislike the accusation that The Walking Dead bypasses pathos when dealing with its zombies. What a ridiculous thing to say, I get the distinct impression neither Stewart Andrews or Romero have properly sat and watched the show, it sounds more like an indignant assumption that the Dead legacy is being usurped or belittled. Contrarily, I'd say Romero's been doing a fine job of that himself with ...Diary and Survival Of The Dead...

Anyway, tangents aside, I can understand why people wouldn't enjoy The Walking Dead. It's had flaws since the start of series two (I am of the opinion series one was perfect television from start-to-finish), but they're hardly major. Occasionally characters wear out their welcome, but generally the closing of a series evens things out.
In this third series there's been some great moments, the relationship between Carol and Daryl emerging, Rick's phonecalls, his decision to slay Tomas with little hesitation, they're all crucial character-building exercises, I guess it's just the sort of show where you need to trudge through other events to get to the resolution. I'm still strongly behind it all, there's just the aforementioned folk from my last post that I perceive as wearing out their uses.

MisanthroPope
02-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Contrarily, I'd say Romero's been doing a fine job of that himself with ...Diary and Survival Of The Dead...

Romero is a jealous old man whose best years were, at the very least, 30 years ago. After Diary and Survival his thoughts and opinions mean exactly dick.

Toxica
02-18-2013, 06:32 AM
So, does anyone have any theories about who dropped the van of walkers?

Adonai
02-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Andrea.

Mi-CroMartie
02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
^ Nah that couldn't be her.. She's at Woodbury still wondering where her fuck buddy governor was. And the Curse of Lori the Lady in White continues to haunt Rick.. Stay tuned!

That preview of Rick's son Carl telling him to stop being a leader really made me think: "FATHER VS. SON for leadership?"

And Maggie is starting to look and behave like Milla Jovovich's Resident Evil character, Alice. <3333.

S.D.
02-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Well, fuck me sideways. The Suicide King, you are hereby forgiven for being a weak bridge between series halves, as Home completely redeemed everything in one single episode. I started getting really interested when the power-play between Daryl and Merle began in the wilderness. There were some easily predicted outcomes, but that was part of the thrill. I knew they'd butt heads, and that Daryl's skills and survival instincts have become more developed and independent since he's spent time away from Merle. The incident with the car and the group who had a baby was important - not only as peculiar evidence of folk moving and surviving in the same way the main collective have - because it completely blew apart Merle's earlier attempt to disregard Daryl's survival skills learned with the main group. He tries to criticise him for suggesting they obtain supplies from presumably empty houses, but sees nothing wrong in looting a car from people right in front of them.
At this stage the only thing keeping them together is blood, although there was some redemption knowing they were both beaten as children, and that Merle did his brother's bidding helping save Rick and fortify the camp during The Governor's siege.

David Morrissey is a great actor, and The Governor is a menacing character, but that was left floundering a bit in The Suicide King. He's not a scheming Bond villain, the pathos he displays comes from gutless, brute force, as with the ambush on Welles' squadron in Walk With Me. Although Axel would be considered an ancillary character, he was nonetheless becoming more comfortable within the group, having learned a lesson about acting on his urges with Carol and Beth earlier on. With that in mind, it was sad to see him become bullet-fodder, a real Godfather-Tollbooth moment.

Rick's visions and the patriarchal support/tension he experiences with Hershel were far more precise this time around, and although Maggie and Glenn seemed fractured, I think they needed some time off-screen together to void it out a bit. Rick's instability will be addressed further, you can tell, although they've all suffered losses, Hershel and Carl seem to want to push him to be more authoritative and strong, just as he was when we began the show's journey.

Just a lackey, I would imagine, I don't think we were supposed to perceive it as anyone other than one of The Governor's crew. The same goes for the shooter on the watch-tower, the cinematography gave the false impression it may have been someone significant, but in the end it was simply a hired gun.

Andrea.
No, definitely not, she's got no idea yet how much The Governor considers his warped version of loyalty to be essential, and because she's easily led and a bit of an idiot, he'll play her on it to the Nth degree...

Romero is a jealous old man whose best years were, at the very least, 30 years ago. After Diary and Survival his thoughts and opinions mean exactly dick.
Well, I don't feel the need to get catty about it, I think Diary Of The Dead and Survival Of The Dead were more like failed experiments, trying to master new media in a post-digital-media, 28 Days Later world. Any veteran film-maker would probably want to try it, I just don't think Romero quite knew how to handle the modern storylines. I enjoyed Land Of The Dead, although it could have been a Zombie movie by anyone really, but the latter two simply lacked vision. So as not to get too off-topic, I'll happily continue discussing the wider Zombie universe at this designated topic: Zombies! (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/2042)

Christina
02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think it was Andrea. I think she'll end up back with the original group because the Governor is 2 episodes away, if not less, to betraying her.

kleiner352
02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
The person in the van was just one of The Governor's people, no one specific I think. Andrea didn't know for sure that The Gov. was there, and even if she did how would she know where to go, let alone zombie-bomb her friends?

Toxica
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
I definitely don't think it was Andrea, but just curious why they made this person 'mysterious'.
I'm with you guys, I don't think it's anyone important, but who knows!
Anyway, this episode was a lot better than last week's.

kleiner352
02-20-2013, 04:07 AM
I definitely don't think it was Andrea, but just curious why they made this person 'mysterious'.

I think they just had full armor because they were handling walkers, were intending on crashing a truck through fences and was going to be running through an area filled with gunfire. In other words, practicality more than anything.

Adonai
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I think they just had full armor because they were handling walkers, were intending on crashing a truck through fences and was going to be running through an area filled with gunfire. In other words, practicality more than anything.

I think guys were right, I was thinking it was somebody important because we couldn't tell who it was. I've been waiting for Andrea to totally betray, but I guess it's not looking that way. Plus the idea of the mysterious person having "full armor because they were handling walkers" makes total and complete sense too.

kleiner352
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
I've just gotta say, the most recent episode, Clear, is easily my favorite that they have ever done. It's everything I've needed out of this show for a while now, and it's writer is becoming the lead writer of the series soon, so I am excited for sure.

Toxica
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
**SPOILER** FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOST RECENT EPISODE

How do you guys feel about Merl's death? For some reason I didn't feel one way or another about it, other than seeing Daryl break down..lol. What are you expecting in the finale?

kleiner352
03-29-2013, 08:54 PM
**SPOILER** FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOST RECENT EPISODE

How do you guys feel about Merl's death? For some reason I didn't feel one way or another about it, other than seeing Daryl break down..lol. What are you expecting in the finale?

I was pretty disappointed as he's only one of two show-exclusive characters and so having read the comics not much about the show surprises me, and them removing him gave me one less thing to look forward to. It's still enjoyable/entertaining to watch the show but I'll miss the character, he got some of the best lines in the series and was finally beginning to grow as a human being and show that he was more than a crazy, heartless drug addict racist and really a good person who did what no one else was willing to but needed to be done to survive. Really it was showing him being the character that at this point in the series Rick is supposed to be.

Dope Box
03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Although I am watching every episode as they come, I have to say my interest in the series vanes with every episode. The moments that shine are too few and far between. All the characters I liked are dead. The element that got me hooked is no longer present, I feel. The dialogues and their delivery is pure cheese. They were always super cheesy but till last season the show always had interesting developments taking place at all times, like the whole Rick-Shane drama, which I think was really super It was powerful television. Now I feel it's getting pretty average. It's the whole premise of the show that's really exciting and why I keep watching every episode, but I really do hope they have come up with something drastically interesting for the finale.

Norsefire
03-30-2013, 12:54 PM
The last two episodes were quite cool but before those I was getting kind of bored with it and loosing interest. I don't think the second half of this season has been that good.
Looking forward to the finale, and then hoping Season 4 is better.

Christina
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM
HEY!!!
The fuck's idea was it to kill Andrea????????

kleiner352
04-01-2013, 03:53 AM
The finale really sucked. The entire "war" built up for a whole season was condensed into a few minutes of people fumbling around and then a handful of gunshots before running away, tails between their legs, and then The Gov. pulled totally psycho bullshit that served no purpose and then got away, meaning we can expect a plotline that should've been wrapped up in one season dragged out into 2. Fucking A.

Toxica
04-01-2013, 05:19 AM
I think I'm actually one of the few people that enjoyed the finale. I found that each storyline was really suspenseful... you never REALLY know who is going to die. I'm kind of glad Andrea is gone... she drove me nuts. Although her death was a little sad.
I have a feeling that although he won't be the focus for next season, the governor will make another appearance.

Norsefire
04-01-2013, 06:29 AM
The finale really sucked. The entire "war" built up for a whole season was condensed into a few minutes of people fumbling around and then a handful of gunshots before running away, tails between their legs, and then The Gov. pulled totally psycho bullshit that served no purpose and then got away, meaning we can expect a plotline that should've been wrapped up in one season dragged out into 2. Fucking A.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the finale. I agree that it was built up, it was building up to be good and then WTF was that? They go in shooting, and then two of them shoot back and they run off.
I guess we will be seeing the governor again next season, I expected him to die in the finale so maybe early next season they'll get rid of him.

Wasn't too bothered by the people that did get killed. The funniest part was Carl when he shot that guy.

Christina
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I think they made it a build up so it will "sell you" into watching it in October. I'm not happy about it either, but I understand it.

Celebrity Killing Spree
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
They went from the best episode of the series to the most lacklustre one.

I don't think they got a single thing right with the finale.

kleiner352
04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I think they made it a build up so it will "sell you" into watching it in October. I'm not happy about it either, but I understand it.

The problem is though, season 1 wrapped up the CDC plotline and left the audience compelled to see what was next. Season 2 ended the farm plotline and left the audience compelled to see what was next. This one didn't wrap anything up beyond Andrea's annoying whining and lack of common sense and just seems to promise us that next season will contain more of the same with little variation.

A lot of people are saying The Gov. will make another appearance down the line, and that's terrible.

For those not wanting to read the comics or not wanting them spoiled, ignore the following, but more or less:

In the comics, the prison storyline ends with The Gov. bringing a massive army down upon the prison, even having a tank that no one can really use in tow for effect. Numerous main characters die, including Hershel, Lori (who isn't an irrational bitch in the comics but is a genuinely good character) and their baby Judith. The Governor forces a person with a rifle to kill Lori, who was running away with Rick and Carl while holding Judith. The bullet stops her and she falls on top of her baby, killing it with her own body before finally dying. The shooter, who along with the other Woodbury soldiers had believed that they were on the good side, is in disgust as they realize that they just killed a baby and goes to murder the Governor who is eventually torn apart by walkers, much like the general in Day of the Dead. Dale (yep, he isn't dead in the comics) and Andrea (who is also not stupid in the comics as opposed to the show) escape, as do Maggie and Glenn. Rick and Carl are separated from the group and in the trade paperback that wraps up the prison storyline, it ends with Rick running with Carl and telling him to not look back as Carl asks, "Where's Mom?" It ends with a splash page of Rick holding Carl in the dark, having lost damn near everything.

It's an amazing ending that completely wraps up the prison/Woodbury story and honestly, there is no excuse for the show not following this ending and concluding it in one episode. If they hadn't spent however many episodes it was of Andrea dicking around in Woodbury (seriously, many of these episodes contributed NOTHING to the plot besides telling us that the Gov. is crazy and Andrea is dumb, which was already obvious), they could have EASILY had a few more episodes that would have gotten the story to where it needed to be so that once the finale rolled around we could've had the whole thing said and done.

Instead of "The Governor is out there, somewhere, and Rick has a bunch of old people in the prison now and Carl is turning into baby Shane, look out!" as the thing supposedly teasing audiences for the next season, I would absolutely say that having it end with half of the main cast dying heartbreakingly and the other half being broken up from one another as they feverishly ran away from the prison as walkers descended upon it, returning it to how it was before they found it, and Rick clutching Carl protectively in his arms would have been a 10/10 ending that would have definitely sold most viewers on tuning in next season.

Norsefire
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
The actor who plays the Governor has confirmed he's returning in season 4. Which in one way is good because they need to finish him off instead of having him just walk away... but I still think he should have been finished in the finale.

kleiner352
04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
The actor who plays the Governor has confirmed he's returning in season 4. Which in one way is good because they need to finish him off instead of having him just walk away... but I still think he should have been finished in the finale.

I agree, but at least the actor is a really good one. Of all of the human villain characters on the show so far I'd definitely say he's the strongest played. Nevertheless, I feel like at this rate we're just going to be sick of his character and not have a dramatic pay-off when he dies, but instead a tired sigh of relief at it finally being finished.

Adonai
04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Definitely an unsatisfying finale, that's for sure. The only thing I'm interested in now is what will happen with the Governor and Carl, like "see governor get killed, watch Carl grow up to be a great leader." Which just doesn't seem exciting enough to me, I don't really like either character anyway. What else? Rick getting over his woman? Want to bet they drag that out too? Ugh. I'm so over the prison. Nothing really to look forward to in season 4 seems, I think I just really wanted to see the Gov die. I'll still probably watch 4, I just won't have high hopes going into it. I never read the comics but I think I like that ending you explained better, Kleiner, maybe we'll get to see something similar in 4? Bleh.

Andrea's death was totally dumb. The walker was so slow and Andrea totally got out in time to react, with her experience there is no way that fucking walker could have gotten her. I think they should have showed the attack instead, that would have sold me better. What ... she was in love with Milton and in a moment of love and sadness she gave him a hug and got a zombie hickey??

I had no idea Dale wasn't supposed to die, he was one of my favorite characters and I was greatly saddened when he died. I would of much rather have seen Hershel go! Also very disappointed to see Merl go.

I feel like at this rate we're just going to be sick of his character and not have a dramatic pay-off when he dies, but instead a tired sigh of relief at it finally being finished.

Yeah, I already don't really care all the much anymore.

kleiner352
04-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Adonai: yeah, in the show Hershel's taken Dale's place and it's the inverse of the comics. The comics are very good and worth reading if you enjoy the show, because they really are much better in many ways and really develop the characters without all of the use of melodrama that the show has a tendency for.

I found Andrea's death and the whole thing of her constantly dropping the pliers ridiculous as well, but someone on Reddit said they took her death as a metaphor for how she kept trying to broker peace for everyone but despite her numerous attempts could never really do it and when she finally had the chance to ensure survival (stabbing the Gov. at night, represented by having the chance to kill Milton but failing and ultimately causing her death just as her not killing the Gov. caused death), she failed at it. If you take it as that then writing-wise it's much better but still not entertaining to watch.

I'd love to say that we'd see an ending a lot like the comics of the prison story arc, but here's my problem with that: they geared it up for it completely. Gov. had an army of people who deeply believed they were the good guys, had the guns and the manpower, had the military vehicles, had everything ready to hit that climactic fight of the story arc and Rick and Co. had motive to fight, had smaller numbers so it ultimately wouldn't go in their favor, had enough characters who had done their "part" as characters so that they could die in the episode and it would have been a big deal but made sense (I'm looking at Hershel here), and with every single domino in place for it to all fall together, it's like they decided to take one out of the middle and we got half of the pay off we were set up for. So at this point, with The Gov. being just himself and two really pathetic henchmen, and Rick now having the manpower over him, I fail to see how it is that he'll cause the prison to be overrun and the group to become scattered.

Hazekiah
04-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Well, something I really enjoy about the show is that, although it hits many of the same notes and uses many of the same characters, it still has the balls to be its own thing and change things up however and whenever it likes.

Yeah, the comics are GREAT (can't wait for vol. 18!), but a straight adaptation of the exact storylines and characters would likely be pretty stale and boring for anyone who's read them beforehand and is already twenty steps ahead of the show's plot progressions and character development.

So I'm still pretty happy with the show overall. I don't think firing Darabont and the constant reshuffling of the writing staff have done the show many favors, but for every dud there's still tons of awesomeness to enjoy. The bare fact that the show even exists and continues to kick as much ass as it does is pretty amazing in and of itself.

That said, I thought the season finale was a bit anticlimactic, too...but not so much that I'm not willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and see where they're going with things. After all, there's no real reason that the Governor and his two lackeys HAVE to invade the prison and scatter its survivors. And I'm actually pleased to see that he wasn't done away with so quickly in the same season in which he was introduced. Same goes for the prison, for that matter. Some things just need room to breath.

I love that the books take their time and aren't always neat, self-contained little arcs. So if the show's producers want to take their time with the Governor and the prison so they have a chance to get their shit together with the writing staff and make sure they squeeze all they can out of some of the coolest characters and locations before moving along to whatever else then I'm happy to patiently afford them that opportunity.

They've earned it.

Norsefire
05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
This is funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4lLJu_-wE

OmegasTits
07-17-2013, 03:12 AM
I hope they end the series with Rick realizing that the only real love in his life was Shane, and returns to find his corpse and proceeds to defile it.

That would really warm my sick little heart <3

kleiner352
07-20-2013, 02:02 AM
http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/comic-con-trailer-the-walking-dead-season-4

New trailer.

Looks like they're finally becoming as good as I've been waiting for them to be.

Emma
07-20-2013, 03:22 AM
Oh wow that looks good. Looking forward to seeing the new season

MrBonestripper
07-21-2013, 03:15 PM
looks bitchin

didnt see the gov? i think i heard him tho

Mi-CroMartie
10-30-2013, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b2iPexH1WM

Despite it's Season 4 in the TV series, Season 2 is about to begin (Game version)... It's confirmed. Clemmy will be your main character throughout the game!

MrBonestripper
11-07-2013, 11:08 PM
so what do you all think of the new season so far?

i

think

its boring. =(
unfortunately.

there are some good gore and splatter parts though

ive really liked the show up until now.. dunno, maybe its just me
disappointed so far

MrBonestripper
11-10-2013, 10:12 PM
ok,
the last two episodes have been AWESOME
the season is getting much much better
just started a bit slow maybe

Lucille
11-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm LOVING this season so far. Personally I think the show is actually starting to become superior to the comic book.

P.S. The Governor returns next episode! I'm so fucking excited!

MrBonestripper
11-10-2013, 11:15 PM
yeah i saw the gov
at the end
just watched the
newest episode
tonight

what a great episode
its getting very dark
love it
plus
i have been wonderin
about the gov
when we were
gonna see him again

cant wait for the next one!!!

Mi-CroMartie
11-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Hahaha. The last episode inspired some people to have a shirt like this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/969223_177386509122900_1466349275_n.png

Lucille
11-11-2013, 09:59 AM
^ Fuck yes! lol

TrainWreck96
11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
I was a big fan up until this season. I'm still watching it but it's starting to feel more like a chore than something enjoyable. There are some great plot ideas but it doesn't feel like they're being executed as well as they could be. At this point I feel like I'm too invested in the characters to stop watching. I haven't seen the new episode but I'm definitely holding out hope that the Governor will get me fired back up.

Norsefire
11-21-2013, 07:00 PM
I thought this new season has been really slow and it just felt like it wasn't going anywhere... and then this weeks episode aired! I thought it was a fucking great episode. Really made me have a different opinion on the Governor, you see a different side to him I think. It's also interesting how for the whole episode there is non of the regular cast in it, but I think it's the best one so far this season.

I did laugh though at all the graphic zombie killing scenes... infront of a child! It's like the writers must have really thought what's the best way to have a kid fucked up for life? Yeah lets rip the skin off a zombie's head by dragging a bone through its face... but lets do this after we rip the neck open and have blood squirting all over from another zombie... and lets have an oxygen tank cave someone's head in too. I know it's just a TV series, but it just seemed like they tried hard to fit in some cool kill scenes, but it was funny for me and I enjoyed it anyway.

But for the whole episode and the focus on the governor, I can't wait for next week!

Xul Solar
12-01-2013, 06:10 PM
I feel like the only fuckin one who actually seems to really like the new episodes with the "Governor Background"

As said above, I fuking spit at my TV when he was brutally murdering zombas in front of the girl :P and of course he couldn't murder them as usual... he had to reinvent himself and murder them the most brutally graphic possible way. HA

Lucille
12-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Just watched the mid-season finale!! Holy fuuuuuck! lol I recognize the story from the comic, but I thought the time for that had passed! I won't post any spoilers since it is still fresh, just wanted to say AHHH! D:

MrBonestripper
12-02-2013, 09:36 AM
i L O V E D the mid season finale

what a wonderful piece of work

my jaw was pretty much
on the floor
the entire time

February
come

i cant believe
some of the things
that happened though

i really cannot believe who
they killed off for mid season
it makes me really wonder what
is going to happen next. where they
are taking it. havent read the books yet

Xul Solar
12-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Instead of shoot the governor I would have done this:
-remove the fingernails with a knife and then cut his fingers
-pierce their feet from the bottom and roll the knife
-cut the ears at different points, and then remove completely, slowly
-cut his arms open and step them
-perforate the stomach and roll the knife
-cut his left leg to expose the femur and then kick it
-kick his testicles and then cut, first his scrotum, then, one by one his balls, and then the penis. Leave the knife in the hole where his penis used to be and then kick the knife
and let the zombies eat it
(I forgot. roll the knife after kicking it)

TrainWreck96
12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I got so bored this season that I stopped watching right before the Governor returned. After hearing all the hubbub about the mid-season finale I decided to go back and watch the remaining episodes. I gotta say it definitely picked back up. The mid-season finale is a major game-changer so I'm glad we don't have to wait very long to see how things unfold from here. I'm back in! Hopefully they keep it up and don't get stuck in another lull... though getting stuck in another lull will be pretty hard to do for the rest of the season what with the prison community being turned on its ear.

Xul Solar
12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
SPOILER ALERT

why hershel? kill glenn or rick or carl or maggie BUT NOT HERSHEL

S.D.
12-04-2013, 11:18 AM
The intent was clearly to 'Hit 'Em Where It Hurts' though, and the two casualties we either witness brutally or are aware of by the episode's closure do a pretty good job of that.
You see, at the moment there are very few characters in the Prison group who remain moral absolutes. Everyone, even children like Carl, have their dubious sides, so to take them out would at least serve the purpose of removing that ambiguity from the group. With the two figures taken out in this episode, there's no ambiguity, they were supposed to be good, and act as mastheads for the group's survival. They were also arguably the two most vulnerable members, with the exception of Beth, who at this point represents virginal and youthful purity. I think her character will be developed further though, to have removed her now would have seemed an obvious 'Pretty White Girl Sacrifice', and The Walking Dead is a little less predictable than that, I think.

There was a lot of frustration involved, but I perceive that as intentional. When Lilly eventually takes the final steps she has to, you want it to be more victorious, or for Michonne to have seen her actions through properly, but I think the events catalysing the gunfight and this eventual end to it were meant to be as chaotic and un-planned as everything surrounding it. As the group loses the Prison, those four walls lose their emblematic safety, and suddenly it's just meant to be pandemonium. The two most notable deaths, both on the side of good and evil are characteristic of that, as nobody really wins or loses.

So it's not entirely miserable, there were a couple of punch-the-air moments as the majority of recurring characters escape on the bus, and as ever, Daryl takes no fucking prisoners trying to see that through. Still though, not really anything fun about this one, even if it was riveting stuff.

We shall see where February takes things...

TrainWreck96
12-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Excellently put, S.D.

I feel like Hershel had become much more than the resident doctor. He also had become a sort of moral bandage that held the prison together. He often acted as the voice of reason and his presence kept people in check where they could have gone haywire. At such a pivotal moment, losing the voice of reason will only add to the devastation.

S.D.
10-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Okay, so the season opener for six was... okay. I think there was some great dialogue, nice to see Morgan having to remonstrate with Rick, given their relationship was the first that we saw in the original series. Eugene is fast becoming one of the more interesting characters, and seeing what happens now Alexandria is reunited will be intriguing.

I do however think that six series in, there is only so many times this formula...;-

Main Group Shows Solidarity > Another Group Confronts Main Group
Conflict & Resolution Occur > Main Group Incorporates New Group
Reformed Group Create Base > New Main Group Shows Solidarity
Another Group Confronts New Main Group > ETC.

...will continue to have any merit to it.

CDC, Hershel's Farm, Woodbury, The Prison, Terminus, The Hospital, Alexandria... it's all a bit too familiar, and whilst I do think overall the characters and development of Rick do carry that theme, if they're planning on going into seven or eight seasons, something really unique will have to be brought to the table for it to hold up.
But I did enjoy it overall, and look forward to seeing tonight's episode when I wake up tomorrow.

NOW, what I will say is that Fear The Walking Dead has me genuinely interested. I know it's been on a few months now, but I only saw the first episode two nights ago, but was very impressed. I look forward to seeing the others this week. Origin or prequel stories have to be done carefully, but given how relatively contemporary The Walking Dead is, and given the outbreak only took place weeks before Rick awoke from his coma, it all still coincides well. It's also nice to see a more urban environment for the shows.

S.D.
10-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Well fuck me running, that was... well, fuck.

Norsefire
10-26-2015, 11:43 AM
The camera angle and lack of full shots etc, I don't think what we saw was what it seemed.

S.D.
10-26-2015, 12:32 PM
I have read about three different articles since then that suggest the same thing...

Nature of the beast though, that if you're in an apocalypse, people can't survive forever, it's only going to be a matter of time before something bad happens to a strong member of the group. I still maintain that there are too many characters in the show at the moment. I mean, I like them all, don't get me wrong, but I don't think everyone is getting the chance to flourish because there's too much ground to cover.
Obviously the last two episodes have focused on a different group each time, so it was a Rick/Darly/Michonne-lite one last week, now this week we see what they were doing outside Alexandria. But still, not enough time is being devoted to each character, and now with Morgan's origin and role within the group becoming bigger, and us getting to know people like Eugene better, it feels like some of the older, original people are being overlooked.

Ah well, cracking fun this one was though, we'll see what they do with everyone next week...

Hazekiah
10-28-2015, 11:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Hazekiah/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5165_zpspze3xgug.jpg

Para-Noir
10-29-2015, 01:57 PM
I loved every single episode of this season to death so far. When I saw the infamous scene for the first time I really thought it was for real and to be honest it fucking broke my heart lol
If I was a crying person I would have cried probably haha

But then I watched Talking Dead right afterwards and after reading some shit on the internet it;s pretty obvious the guy will probably make it.

I'm thinking of buying some of the comics. Being Dutch I have no experience in reading these kinds of comics, has anyone here read them? Any good?

Hazekiah
10-29-2015, 08:58 PM
They are absolutely EXCELLENT. If you like the show you will LOVE the books!

You can generally find great deals on the collected tradepaperback editions on Amazon (roughly 6 or 7 issues bound together), but once you decide to commit you might want to upgrade to the omnibus collections that are HUGE and maybe something like 30 or 40 issues each.

Man, I can't wait to get those myself! Right now I only have the first 17 tradepaperbacks but they're still awesome as fuck.

Happy hunting!

Para-Noir
10-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info, just ordered volume 1!

S.D.
02-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Right, now I'm not saying I want there to be an excess of two-dimensional, Mary Sue baby-carriers in The Walking Dead, but if people Rick can potentially get a swift seeing to from are continuously killed off, he's just going to moon about looking serious and saying things in an emotionally drained way forever...

Anyway, whilst ...Walking might not necessarily always be televisual art on the same level as The Sopranos (just to use an example), it's also not a comedy, and with that in mind I do think that the writers have fallen back into losing sight of a clear goal, and floundered once again with too many central characters and strands to either explore fully or give ample attention. This week's episode was a perfect example. There were some definite shocks, proving that whether we necessarily 'like' a character or not, their survival might be integral to the main group's unity and progression. However, I think the production team are reneging the ability to really have us care about the central group overall any more. The most fervent and potentially shocking moment of last year's run was the possibility that Glenn was eaten alive and killed. This didn't happen, and the stunningly weak resolution to his entrapment was definitely more of a cop-out than if they'd stuck with the genuine upheaval of properly killing him. I mean, no punches were pulled with Beth's brutal last moments, and she went through a lot to meet such a seemingly meaningless demise.

I think when the show began, even if it shit you up and frustrated the audience, there was more confidence in suggesting that survival is only relative to the odds you face. More and more often now, as its exposure and foundations have grown stronger, and the lead characters have found their star shine brighter, there is a notable reluctance to deal heavy blows to the core group. In doing so that same core has become ever-so-slightly rotten, as Rick's warrior instinct becomes more isolationist than preservationist. It might be deliberate, but the 'Group' are now often as mechanical and callous as the various enemies they have faced. Perhaps the actors are bound by contracts, or control their fate until maneuvered out, but it does seem that certain people have become either immune to the same peril as ancillary characters, or simply invincible to threat whatsoever.
This might prove to be leveled or rectified at the end of the season, which I have a suspicion may be the last. I don't personally follow the comic series, so I'm not sure how much more development the group is meant to do in correlation, but regardless, even formerly intriguing or incendiary leads like Daryl or Carol don't seem to have much to do any more.

Well, anyway I won't spoil the most recent episode, but for the third or fourth time in its history ...Walking has slightly jumped the shark again. It's still compelling viewing, and there are still interesting paths to be explored, but if storylines are regurgitated too many times then the show is in danger of being as lifeless as the Walkers themselves...

Norsefire
02-16-2016, 12:52 PM
It's funny how you ended your post, I've been saying the show has gone from being full of life to almost a zombie itself.

Right now I have no desire to watch it. Maybe one day I will catch up and watch it in one go to finish it.

S.D.
02-23-2016, 07:00 AM
The Next World fell short of the mark again, for me.

Evidently an attempt to 'reset' with a more lighthearted vista after the chaos of No Way Out, it just seems like too-little, too-late. As stressed, the central characters we've come to recognise as crucial to the 'Group', have less and less to do, either within that group, or with each other.
When the majority of them met, it was during conflict, on the road, or in situations that put them at odds. Alexandria is a dud concept because we've seen it before. Whether they were 'safe' on Herschel's farm, in the Prison, in Woodbury, or with the promise of Terminus, it's become clear that safe-haven is never a robust, impenetrable concept. The group - whether it seems futile or not - seems to function more effectively when moving towards something, rather than staying in one location and allowing peril to find them.

'Rick and Daryl's Bogus Journey' aspired to be comedic, but was instead just boring. If writers want to strip scenarios back to the basic premise of going on a food run, having two seasoned survivors/warriors suddenly look amateur when faced with one Kevin Smith stoner seems insincere. Rick second-guessing himself on decisions about saving strangers, not even being able to ask his mantra of "How many Walkers have you killed...?" properly, and the wholly unlikely outcome of Paul being on top of the truck miles after being tied up and left in the road was just ludicrous. It doesn't ring true, and neither did the reappearance of Deanna, or more endless soul-searching dialogue between Super-Carl and Enid.

The pity is, more recent characters in The Walking Dead are being introduced without potential, and long-standing or recurring faces are losing theirs. Benedict Samuel's Wolf could have been a legitimately creepy, destructive force if allowed to gestate longer. Not pompous like The Governor, or demented like Gareth, but rather more feral, and still contemplative.
The aforementioned Enid was initially intriguing, having experienced survival alone, and as a child, but has now joined the ranks of dreary, mission-statement Rick-Alikes that end up populating each series of the show. The strange thing is, I still like Rick as a concept, but he's arguably far more interesting when associating with - or pitted against - people he doesn't already know. Just like when the show started, he was alone, disorientated, often outnumbered and forced to improvise quickly. Since the core survivors have started turning into know-it-all, ultra-violent rabble-rousers, they've become less interesting. Those who still operate on the fringe of that behaviour - Michonne, Daryl, Morgan, and occasionally Sasha and Abraham - have slowly become mere conduits for a lumbering narrative. Anyone who attempts domesticity either faces misery at the death of a loved one, or assimilation into a coded routine that we've been taught from day one no longer exists.

As suggested last week, I don't follow the comic books and so this might be the last season for all I know (especially with the emergence of Fear..., which I hope they don't fuck up), and so I'm sure everything will go to fuck and be miserable again by the season's close. However, merely killing people isn't really at the heart of what made The Walking Dead compelling when it started. It was the hopelessness, the true 'Horror' that this pandemic was inescapable, and unless something drastic changes in the writing, that perspective might be sadly lost.

Nemoris Inferioris
02-23-2016, 07:18 AM
It was the hopelessness, the true 'Horror' that this pandemic was inescapable, and unless something drastic changes in the writing, that perspective might be sadly lost.

I totally agree. I think the show is just trying it's hardest to go on for more and more season's, for money. It's all the same. They are run down by walkers and they loose some characters to boost the ratings. And they called this season's first episode "It's best". Please.

S.D.
03-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Everything's still kind-of inoffensively trundling along through this half of the series. Clearly in a world like The Walking Dead there would be survival camps and settlements all over, so Paul leading them to Gregory was more of the same, as was the suggestion that Negan is the forthcoming antagonist.
I hate to repeat the observation, but it does feel as though we're headed for yet another disruptive showdown of good and evil. They'll go up against Negan, slowly accumulating more of 'their/our' people through conflict or resolution, someone/several characters integral to the group will be killed off in a brutal fashion, and probably reset Rick's attitude to another binary of passive/psychopathic for the next season, inevitably inspiring more aggravated, sweaty speeches about how everything is "different" now, and that fighting for something and viewing outsiders as enemies is the only way to progress.

It's not even really that frustrating any more. I'll tell you what it reminds me of, ascending through the levels of a computer game. Sure, modern games have stories, characters, and environments to empathise or engage with, but the objective is still essentially a physical and psychological mode of survival that doesn't really 'mean' anything. Okay, you can get all spiritual and counter that living and being 'Dead' - as the title suggests - don't really 'mean' anything either, but I don't think that's what's happened in the show. I think maybe the writers just aren't sure how much further to take this group any more. Of the original people that gathered around Rick; only Daryl, Carol, and Carl remain, and they're all so different and disengaged from each other now, those bonds are long gone.

Strangely though, it's still a lot of fun to watch, but sadly has moved past expressing any real polemic dialogue or commentary. Now it's a drama series with revolving characters and big fights. I suppose maybe when the first series was filmed, there was no certainty of recommission, so the really challenging ideas were compiled carefully into those six episodes. Season one explored the apocalypse, survivalism, racism, gender roles, domestic violence, compatibility between opposing factions, familial ties, sexuality, and maintained it against the fresh backdrop of revitalising the Zombie genre for television, without losing sight of its boundaries as a concept. Maybe they were running before they could walk (ha), but I'm glad such versatility was explored straight-off. It's not even that the concept has worn thin, Fear The Walking Dead proved this in abundance, but regards Rick, his various lieutenants, and this group's continued pilgrimage, unless something really revolutionary happens at the close of this season, it's going to continue repeating itself.

S.D.
10-10-2016, 02:25 AM
The cliffhanger of the last series, and yesterday's trailer video have served to support what I said above. Any thoughts from fans here?

Maybe the most challenging thing they could do would be...

...killing off Daryl, although it would be predominantly for shock and disruption to the audience. Also, besides vengeance, that doesn't leave Rick and the survivors much motivation again besides escape. If such a bold move were undertaken, I can predict a new bond between Rick and Morgan, perhaps even new groups forming from within.

It doesn't really feel besides the events with his brother, that Daryl has had anywhere near the time needed to develop as a character though. His death now would be a stop-start I don't think the series needs, although if proof is needed of Negan's unwavering power over this group, the rigmarole will likely last an entire series, and presumably get worse from the get-go...

It could be Glenn, but I'm not sure I fancy a whole series of Maggie looking even more pissed off and hopeless after seeing him beaten to death in front of her.

Hazekiah
11-13-2016, 02:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0wQRsXLi4

Hazekiah
11-26-2016, 03:17 AM
Speaking of comedy related to "The Walking Dead"...

I was just re-watching "Too Many Cooks" and suddenly JUST realized that Enid starred in it TWO YEARS AGO, ffs!

My crush on her deepens, lol. This bitch is AWESOME!

<3 <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8