PDA

View Full Version : Your First Manson Concert

adamchabbi6
03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I decided to make a thread where we can share each of our own experiences of when we all went to see Marilyn Manson live for the first time and how was it like, e.g. did it turn out positive and meet your expectations?

I remember being a very excited 16 year old, when I went to see him live for the first time at Wembley Arena, back in 2007. After already watching several live videos of Manson shows on youtube, I was expecting to see an awesome concert and looked very forward to actually seeing Manson perform on stage. I still have a good memory of the day I went to the concert, I rushed home as soon as school finished to go and collect my ticket and get myself changed in all black, wearing a pair of new rock platform shoes. Afterwards, I took the tube to travel on my way to Wembley Park, which took a duration of almost 1 hour or more and during the journey I remember seeing a paper article with Manson interviewed and when they asked Manson what will fans expect at the Wembley show, he quoted: "sex, drugs and rock n roll" lol.

As I arrived at Wembley Park, I hardly noticed any Manson fans around the station but when I stopped at McDonald's in Wembley to use their toilet, almost the whole place was filled with Manson fans eating there. When I later made the walk to Wembley Arena, I remember going to a short queue in the front of the venue because I had a seated ticket and I didn't need to go in the long queue with others at the side of the venue who had standing tickets. I found some good merchandise inside the venue, where I bought the 2007 world tour t-shirt and a keyring. The crowd inside the venue was very mixed, with some goths to middle aged rockers, which was good to see a contrast of fans in the audience.

When I entered inside the arena and waited in my seat for the show to start, out of nowhere around 7ish Turbonegro (the support band), took the stage, who I thought were alright and pretty average, but I didn't care for them since I was there for Marilyn Manson. I remember a kid sitting not far from me, who was booing Turbonegro lol. After Turbonegro, I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for Manson and I yelled like an idiot when the curtains for Manson were being put up on stage, haha. When the lights went off and Manson's shadows started showing through the curtain, that was a very huge excitement and the show opened with If I was your vampire, where that was the biggest highlight to have my first sight actually seeing him there on stage. Later on, Manson did a couple of other classics, such as, disposable teens, sweet dreams, tourniquet, irresponsible hate anthem, the fight song and antichrist superstar. I remember screaming throughout most of the show and my throat going completely sore during the fight song, lol. Also, the whole crowd clapping their hands to the start of sweet dreams was great fun as well. After the show ended with beautiful people, around 10:45 p.m, I was wishing the show would have gone longer since I was having such a great time. Later, a lot of the crowd leaving the venue made their way back to Wembley Park station, which was like a very long protest march lol. I remember when arriving home, my throat was completely sore after all the screaming at the show and my ears were constantly buzzing even during the next day, where I could hardly hear anyone when they talked to me at school.
After the show, I made a note to myself that I really needed to see him live again the next time he returns.

archdandydotcom
03-26-2011, 08:23 PM
wow, that was a great post.

adamchabbi6
03-27-2011, 04:56 AM
well, I was only wondering if people wanted to share their first experiences.

Norsefire
03-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Nice thread! I will be posting in here soon, never going to forget the first time I saw Manson live.

03-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I was 14, booked my tickets to see Manson in Manchester through a travel company. Had to take the last lesson off school to get the bus, I remember not doing anything all day in any other lessons, just waiting to get out of there.

When we got into town, we thought it would be funny to take one of our friends into boots, and go to the sample make up section and make him look like the worlds worst goth, and we were right, it was funny.

When we arrived at the M.E.N arena we were probably the youngest people in the audience, but we made our way to the front, and I got a great spot right in front of John 5.
Peaches came on first, she wasn't that exciting. Then the lights went down, Thaetre started playing and I remember getting a massive shiver right through me when Manson appeared on the massive throne, being lowered down. Made me realise the importance of a powerful opener.

The show was great, all the way through.

Alexandra
03-27-2011, 03:59 PM
I'll add my story here sometime later as I'm too busy today but, man, I'll just say that the day I attended my first Manson concert, which was also my first concert in general at the time when I turned 16, was one of the most memorable days in my entire life! Over a year has passed since that day and I still remember it like it was yesterday...

;)

timoldbean
03-28-2011, 05:13 AM
Whenever the family goes on holiday or attends some event my dad usually pulls one of those 'dad jokes' where on the way he'd pretend to double check and ask if we've got the tickets - knowing full well he had them himself. It used to work as a wind up until he did it once too often and now we're onto him whenever he tries to pull this one on us.

On my first Manson gig we were half way to Birmginham when Dad did the usual 'you've got the tickets, yeah?'. I laugh it off - when the inevitable happened, it was a textbook 'boy who cried wolf' situation as Dad's question was (for the first time ever) genuine. Being too late to turn around, we carried on and try our luck with getting in by other means - but images of us standing outside, glasses to walls trying to listen in were playing on my mind.

What made it worse was not being allowed to see Manson in 2001 (14 years old), so this show, in 2003 both seemed like a long time coming and a good sign that the parents now considered me to be mature enough ... so to be unable to attend because of our own stupidity was nearly ironic.

Thankfully, Dad managed to get some at the box office without paying due to his skill of complaining (and he showed his real skill here, complaining even when it wasn't their own fault and still scoring tickets).

Dad left us (my brother, a mate and myself ... myself being the only MM fan amongst us) to enjoy the gig. Of course, the show itself was beyond awesome and seeing all these songs I was so familiar with actually being performed live was immense. Had seating on the side so had a fine view of the sold out crowd and Manson - we all know the GB tour, but the most distinct memory I have of it from this show is him performing a section of 1996 as a lead in to another song (think it was IHA). My view of him performing this a cappella to the crowd on this lead-in was great to see as it was happening - there's plenty of shots like this on video but nothing compares to it to seeing it live and being part of it.

Both friend and brother really enjoyed the show too. Thankfully MM's strangeness made them curious enough to go in the first place, he exceeded their expectations good and proper.

Seeing Manson live a good few times since, I've learnt to reserve my judgement of his shows until it's experienced live. It's an obvious thing to mention but the atmosphere changes everything.

Norsefire
03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
My first time seeing Marilyn Manson live was in 2007 at Download Festival in the UK. That was actually the first time I had ever been to a festival or seen any band live before, so even without Manson on the Friday I was already having a fucking awesome time.

Manson played on the Saturday, and that felt like the longest day ever just waiting for Manson to come on after all the other bands. Finally the time came for Manson to come on and I worked my way closer to the front, I didn't feel like pushing to the very front but I wanted to be closer than I had been for the other bands. It was really packed though and fucking hot, and then we waited.... They didn't have the curtain on the stage at Download, I don't know why, so the stage was all open.

The intro music was just chilling and knowing that in a minute Marilyn Manson... this guy I've been checking up on every day for latest news, music, photos, interviews, videos etc for the past few years, he would now be there in front of me performing.
As the intro was coming to it's end the band members started to appear on stage and the crowd was starting to go a bit mental, then Tim Skold walked on which was just fucking awesome. I was on his side of the stage, then the crowd really started screaming and at the back of the stage Manson was walking on, for a second it almost didn't feel real. But from that moment onwards it was just insane, hearing some of my favourite songs live for the first time and even though now I would say his winter tour in 2007 was far better than his Download performance I was still really fucking happy with the Download performance. It seemed to all be over very quickly, but it was so awesome, one of the best parts of my life for sure. I wish I could relive it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHW3OL7SyR8

I could of gone to see Manson at the Reading/Leeds Festival in 2005 but decided I didn't want to pay out for a festival to see Manson. I was in the same mind for Download in 2007 because it is a lot of money, but my mum basically said I was going to go and I think she got the tickets for my birthday.

Anyway after seeing Manson at Download straight after I totally regretted not going to see him live at Reading or Leeds in 2005, and knew that from this day on if Manson is in the UK and I can get to the show then I'm going because I never want to miss a tour.

The Empirical Guy
03-30-2011, 03:31 AM
AHH ok, I suppose it's about time I get around to posting in this thread.

First time I saw Manson was '07. It could of been '03, but I was incorrectly informed that the show was 18+ >=( The misinformant will forever hold my annoyance at causing me to miss J5 and Pogo live.

Anyway, so I finally got around to seeing them on the 2007 EMDM tour. I snatched up my ticket as soon as it went on sale, there was no way I was missing it this time. I did the whole waiting in line all day thing, which involved not only rain (with garbage bags used as improvised ponchos) but MOTHS. Moths by the thousands. There was some kind of infestation of them at the venue, they were just everywhere. To give you an idea, I disturbed a large clump of them and it was like standing in the middle of a strong hail storm. The building next door had its windows curtained with moths, you couldn't see in or out at all.

When we got in I was pretty much dead center, second row. Unfortunately this meant I copped the full brunt of the support act, The Spazzys. To this day they are the worst support act I have ever had to witness, and it puzzles me as to whether they were there as the result of a terrible mismatch by the promoter, or a sick joke by Manson. What I do know is that for the entirety of their 1/2 hour set, 4,000 people booed, gave the finger and hurled things at them.

In the change over, some assholes next to me started pushing and jostling for spots, and when I held my spot and refused to let them in front of me they started basically threatening me with violence. Now, I'm not one to get intimidated or back down from this sort of behaviour, and as much as I wanted to stay front and centre for my first Manson show I was also intent on having a good time. Getting in a fight and consequently thrown out of the venue didn't really factor in to that. So I ended up moving further down the barrier, right down on Tim's side.

The intro music rolled, and I was pretty pumped up. Then the curtain dropped and, much to my annoyance, I found that my move meant that my view of Ginger was completely blocked by Tim's speaker cabinets. I blame the guys that came with me and then wimped out and didn't join me up front and centre, they should have been my backup against the assholes, damn it!

Whatever, though, I was just there to have a good time, so did my best of it despite the disappoint of the blocked view. I was going absolutely nuts on the barrier, shouting out every word, headbanging like crazy through Hate Anthem, leaning out so far over the barrier I was nearly touching the stage. Manson seemed to be picking up on it as he kept wandering over to my side of the stage, standing right in front of me and looking me in the eye. That's a pretty powerful stare, as I'm sure you all know. I've seen a shitload of bands over the years, even had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with some of my favourite musicians and biggest inspirations. But nothing hits you in the face like meeting gaze with Marilyn Manson.

At the time, I walked away from it very disappointed at my obstructed view, and yet completely and utterly mind-blown by the show. Regardless, it was hands-down the best live performance I had ever witnessed in person. The energy and presence pouring off the stage was just so far beyond anything I had seen before. That pretty much remained until the '09 tour when I saw them again, 3 times, and they raised the bar on themselves, blowing even the '07 show out the water.

Sputnik
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
My first and only Manson show I've attended (so far...) was last December (2010...7th), I went with my sister and mum (our entire female side of the family are Manson fans, lol). I was SO excited, also got to see a variety of fans (though some of the audience was pretty.. dull.. but whateeeever)... Waiting for Manson to come on seemed like forever to me, especially since I thought (*my* opinion), that the opening band was pretty terribe... But my breathing just about stopped as the curtains dropped and I had a weird rush of adrenaline due to all the excitment.
The show was awesome, I as jumping about and screaming (in modertaion :P) throughout the whole thing, loved The Fight Song and The Dope Show (for some reason those really stood out).... OOH, AND they played Coma White/Black, which are my all time favourites :D

At some point all I could think was: "OMg Ginger Ginger Ginger Ginger" <3 Hehee

...Haha, also, a funny thing happened... when we found out that Manson was coming to Amsterdam, I ordered the tickets for the three of us... and not knowing that I did, my mum *also* ordered 3 tickets... so we ended up with 6 tickets (we ended up giving one of the extras to my stepdad..who can't stand Manson, but somehow went though the whole thing -.^? )...hehe, and noone else really wanted the other two... well... yeah... [EndRamble/]

So, that's my experience. It was great, and I'm hoping to see them again whenever he/they/watever performs around here. :)

Hazekiah
09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Pretty self-explanatory.

When did you attend your first Manson show? How old were you? What did you think? All that stuff, etc.

I guess I'll start things off.

The reason I ask TODAY is because TODAY marks the 18th anniversary of my very first Marilyn Manson concert!!!

Manson was opening for Nine Inch Nails on the Self-Destruct '94 tour and I was lucky enough to find a VHS tape of NIN's set about a year later at Vintage Vinyl. Manson's has yet to surface (if it was even recorded), but every year since then I've celebrated the anniversary by watching the bootleg of that evening.

So it was ALREADY a day I'd never forget and which I'd mark on my calendar LONG before 9/11 became a day for the REST of the world to "NEVER FORGET," too.

What a convenient reminder, nonetheless. But anyway.

YAY, HAPPY 9/11!!!

\o/

I was just a kid and it was several hours away, but my mom knew it was a BIG deal for me so she was willing to drive me down for the show since I didn't have a driver's license yet and didn't know anyone else to take me since we'd just moved to a new area. I was of course a bit mortified to learn she would be attending the concert WITH me -- and in the seat right NEXT to me, no less! -- but in hindsight it was kinda neat to be there with my mom considering it was essentially the first leg of Manson's Portrait of an American Family Tour. Ha!

That album wasn't even out yet anywhere I could find it so all I knew going into the show was "Get Your Gunn" from a radio promo single I was lucky enough to find in a used CD bin already, but MAN, WHAT A BADASS SONG...that was enough to get my attention! So even though they kept the houselights on for most of Manson's set and despite the fact that our seats were awful and we were only a few rows from the very back of the venue, I was still utterly rapt. Wish I were able to relate more details of the set, but like I said I didn't really know the songs so I just kinda took it all in rather than taking notes about the setlist and onstage comments and stuff like I did for NIN's set afterward.

Which came in handy when my mom ended up reviewing the show for the paper at the college where she took a few classes! The typesetter absolutely MANGLED her review by misspelling tons of stuff and screwing up the format and stupid little things like that we proofread her submission for very thoroughly beforehand, but at least I still managed to help make her review weirdly specific for a woman in her 40s by suggesting she clarify that the version of "Suck" performed that night was the version from Broken rather than the earlier version from Gub by Pigface, lol.

And, speak of the devil...

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5633/mmarticle911.jpg

Also, Trent Reznor himself was actually wearing his Satanic Army Manson shirt during the show...not that I had any idea of that during the show itself, but still. Nice touch! Clearly, my fandom of Manson has kinda superseded my fandom of NIN, so it's cool that even though I only have footage of NIN's set that day he's still wearing a Manson shirt the whole time, lol.

Here's a sample Seven put up on her YT page for anyone who's curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt0E4XucHEs

So that's the story of MY first Manson show.

Howzabout the rest of you?

Whatcha got?

Looking forward to reading everyone's experiences!

:)

Terrapin
09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
December 15th, 2000. Freeman Coliseum. San Antonio, Texas.

I was 13 for this one. Friend's mom drove us to the venue and let us do our own thing from there, because she was cool like that. Didn't get anywhere near the front for this but that didn't matter to us. We were young and we were at a fucking Marilyn Manson show. He was a deity to us at the time and we were in perpetual awe for the extent of the venue. From that eerie "The Lord Is My Shepherd," lights fade out for "Count to Six and Die." The kick in your face of "Irresponsible Hate Anthem" through to the end of "1996," this show was hands down the best concert I've been to. Not only because of Manson's stellar performance from one of the better tours/stage shows he's done in his career, but also because of why I'm even posting about it in this thread. Thankfully this was also my first concert ever, so there was that added bonus of excitement and fuck all attitude. Pretty much sealed me as a fan for life. Unforgettable.

I wish I had some actual specifics for y'all about this show. It was essentially a whirlwind of freaking out about being there. Coming to understand the way a pit works when you're 13 was fun, there was a lot of trying to hold your own ground. Nothing could detract from my enjoyment of the show and living in that moment right then and there.

I eventually acquired a shirt from that tour that Manson wiped his ass with on stage. So that's pretty cool.

Heather Quick
09-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I envy you guys. Concerts in 1994 and 2000... Christ, I can't imagine something like that.

My first (and only so far) Manson concert was on September 26, 2007 in São Paulo. My dad drove me and a friend from Santos (where I live) to São Paulo. I arrived around 10am and met up some friends and we were all really excited. Around 7pm - a bit earlier than expected - the doors were opened and everyone was crazy. At frist I was in the front row, right in front of Skold. As soon as I got the front row, I saw Ginger's drums and started to cry. I was only 16 and I couldn't believe I was finally going to see my biggest idol. Then Maldita took the stage - the opening act, a band from Rio de Janeiro - and everyone booed them. Altough I like them, it was funny because a few days before the guys from the band (mainly the former keyboardist) talked shit about Manson. Something like "Manson will be our opening act", pff that's bullshit. Even because this band have CLEAR Manson influences. Anyway... I remember exactly what happened: Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up started playing and everyone was singing it! It was cool, haha, and then, the lights were shut down and the stage was completely filled with red lights and smoke with E Flat intro playing. Everyone went NUTS and started shouting "Manson! Manson! Manson!". He took the stage and I was shocked. When he started "6am... christimas morning..." I just died. I was so shocked that I couldn't even sing, I was just staring at the stage looking at the guys - especially Manson, of course. Disposable Teens started and I instantly thought "Yes. I'm seeing Marilyn Manson LIVE." The band was great, Manson was in a great mood and said that it was the best crowd of the tour (and he was right. The crowd sang every single song. We, brazilian fans, are so crazy that, for the first time, I saw an ENTIRE crowd shouting "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" along with him. It was truly amazing).

After the concert I was lucky enough to go to the backstage with two friends and I met the man himself. This happened five years ago, but I still can't believe it was real. I mean, I TALKED to him, I HUGGED him. I can say he is the nicest and cutest guy ever! He is very shy, but also very polite and nice. He autographed everything we gave to him, talked to us and all that. Surreal.

The Wax Gentleman
09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I first started liking Manson a couple years ago, and had just missed THEOL tour. I'm 14 now, and I haven't had the opportunity to see him. As soon as he comes to Vancouver, or Seattle, or something of that sort I will go see him in a heartbeat. Until then...

AntiSocial
09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I've been a fan for half of my life at this point, but I didn't get to see the band live until April 29 for the Hey, Cruel World...Tour. I went with one of my nephews. Great show, neither of us were disappointed.
I almost got to see him in 1999 and 2008 but unfortunately had trouble with getting anyone to want to go with me and not back out before it came time to order tickets. I'd like to see him again on the Twins of Evil Tour next month, but the nephew I went with in April doesn't seem interested in going to that.

Dysmorphia
09-12-2012, 01:06 AM
THEOL Tour: Festival Hall in Melbourne, October 10, 2009.

I was 18 at the time and had been a fan for about five years (my parents had never allowed me to attend any previous shows). The Empirical Guy and myself flew there the night before and lined up at 6am. It was freezing, but worth it, we were right in the centre on the barrier. It was awesome, easily one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Adonai
09-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Dead to the World Tour at The Moore theater, Seattle. Probably one of the greatest shows I have ever seen in my life, I don't think any other Manson show I've seen can even compare, except maybe Rock is Dead at Key Arena or Rape of the World at the Paramount.

Anyways, I had trouble getting in because I was wearing chains and carrying pill capsules filled with white powder, which really were just an adhesive for my fangs. I had to throw them all away before they would let me in though, which was totally worth it. My best friend, at the time, went with me and I think he was confused that it was some white power rally because after the show outside of the theater he kept hailing Hitler. I also remember walking to my pinto and I couldn't get my key to work at first, so some guy in the lot thought I was trying to break into someone's car.

I don't think my parents knew I went, I know my mother absolutely hated Manson. Oh yeah, I also remember having to stand in line at my local record store to buy the tickets. I was lucky because the tickets sold out to the guy behind me. Everyone else got screwed.

09-12-2012, 06:12 AM
The Royal Theatre, Canberra September 18, 2003

I was about 14, my mum bought tickets for myself and a friend - she also drove me up to Newcastle to see him play again on that tour. Great stuff. Honestly, I was really young and I don't know if the gig was actually any good or not but at the time I was completely obsessed with anything even remotely related to Marilyn Manson and I was completely blown away by both shows.

I remember being saddened that Twiggy wasn't going to be there but it was still a great show. I really didn't like GAOG as an album, even at the time I thought it was a very dumbed down record in comparison to his previous work but I do think it had a lot more artistic vision then anything he has done since, including Born Villain (although I prefer the songs on BV).

Because I was so young, all I had really seen of Marilyn Manson was the Dead to the World and GGG VHS/DVD's. I thought Manson was a super bad ass and that there were going to be a million christian protestors at the gig. I was disappointed that were no protests or anything.

A bogan did drive past the show in Newcastle while I was waiting for my mummy to come and pick me up and call me a 'faggot', though. Which is fair enough because I was wearing faggoty looking clothes at the time as, you do when you are 14/15 year old Mansonite. Haha.

adamchabbi6
09-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Wembley Arena. London, UK. 5th December 2007.

The show was during Rape of the World tour and I was 16 years old. It was also my first concert and I was quite nervous of how things would turn out, as I had no one to go with at school. I was one of the very few people at school to like Manson and I knew another girl who was attending, but we were not really friends and she went seated with her other friends. I chose to go for a seated ticket, since I felt like sitting to watch the full stage show rather than standing. I was also quite young and not sure how intense the standing area could get...

So on the day of the show, I had school during the day and I got really excited as I did not know what to expect at my first Manson show. As soon as school finished at 3:20 p.m, I ran straight to the tube station to rush home and prepare for the evening... After getting changed into my own clothes (as I had to wear school uniform at the time), having something to eat at home and collecting my ticket, I headed off with excitement to the tube and made the way to Wembley Park.

I arrived at Wembley around 5ish (around 5:40 p.m I think) and went to use the toilet briefly at McDonald's, which was surrounded by Manson fans eating there. Afterwards, I made the walk to Wembley Arena and I remember the venue having a pretty good atmosphere. The merchandise had some awesome items on sale, where I bought a t-shirt and a key ring.

The support act for the show was Turbonegro and they were pretty decent in my opinion. I recognized a few of their songs off the Viva La Bam series, which was good to notice. Although I was mainly keen on seeing Manson. After the support finished, the curtains came down for Manson and that is when the excitement started to grow even more. As the show was about to start, you could see Manson's shadow through the curtain and there he opened with If I Was Your Vampire. It was a bit surreal to see him on stage for the first time but it finally came true. The theatrics were pretty good for that show, where he had the burning book for Antichrist Superstar, female robot and confetti spraying.

After the show finished, my ears were ringing and it still went on till the next day. I found the show to be one hell of a great experience and I was certainly a lot more tempted to see him again the next time he toured the UK. It was certainly one of the best concerts I attended on my list.

Zsa Zsa
09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
February 2nd, 2008 - Columbus, Ohio. I remember not actually planning on going, until the news of Twiggy's return. I wouldn't let myself miss something like that. I am so glad that it ended up being my first concert. The venue was pretty nice, with the bathrooms looking like it was designed by the people who designed Hot Topic circa 5 years ago. The opening band was Ours, a fairly lame attempt at an opening band. I remember after the show taking a promo CD of theirs, but I'm not 100% sure if it was for free or not. When the curtain was set up, people went ballistic. They went crazier when the lights went down. Before the show started, with where I was standing, I saw Twiggy behind the curtain. Words cannot describe the feeling that gave me. I got so fucking hyped after that. Then, the Piano Trio in E-Flat started. You could feel the building swelling from excitement. Then, the curtain dropped.

That was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Cruci-Fiction in Space was the opening song. There was smoke pouring from the stage, and then Manson, looking freakishly tall, stepped out from the smoke. His voice, better than it had been since 2001, was excellent. He was nailing everything, with the confidence and aggression that can only be compared to the Holy Wood era. The set-list was good, which actually included surprises for me because I stopped following the set-lists a few shows before mine. People before us got Putting Holes in Happiness and Reflecting God, we got Little Horn and 1996. The song that was the biggest deal to me was Coma White / Coma Black. That was a song that I never thought I would get to hear live, and I am so glad that I did. My only regret was not bringing my girlfriend Olivia, as Coma White has been, and always will be, our song.

I have since seen Manson at Rock on the Range, and am hopefully attending another show later this year for the Twins of Evil tour. But, of all of the shows that I have been to since that show, none of them have come close to giving me that same awestruck and amazing feeling like my first show.

sayyosin
09-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Hard Rock Live in Orlando, FL on December 2nd, 2004

My father was a huge fan of Marilyn Manson, and somehow convinced my mom to let me join him. I was only 12 years-old, but I was really into heavy metal and just got into music like Nine Inch Nails because of my dad's taste. I had never really listened to Manson besides hearing The Beautiful People on the radio, and I really had no idea what to expect. I didn't even know what he looked like or why his name was Marilyn. We were in Orlando because that year I had missed Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios (an annual birthday family tradition we did) so we were staying at the Hard Rock hotel and spent the whole day riding roller coasters and walking around City Walk as a late birthday gift. Sometime during the afternoon my dad had scored two tickets from a scalper. I'm not sure how much he paid, but I'm sure it was a ridiculous price because later he told me the show had been sold out for a while. He had seen Manson back in 2001 when they came to West Palm Beach, and he assured me that it was a show I couldn't miss.

I remember waiting in line and feeling like I didn't belong. Everyone was older than me and looked like they lived at Hot Topic. Despite the awkwardness, it was my first concert and I was so pumped. When we finally got inside it was so packed. We luckily had balcony seats so I had a decent view and wasn't going to get squished by everyone down below in GA. The opening band is a blur; I really don't remember who it was but I remember enjoying it. When I first saw Marilyn Manson my jaw dropped and I was mesmerized. I had never seen a crowd so wild, and Manson was exhilarating. Girls were flashing their tits and the atmosphere was unbelievably chaotic. He almost scared me by how creepy he looked, and the rest of the band was no different. The whole time I kept thinking "are they human?" I had never seen anything like it. Hearing The Beautiful People live was like discovering a whole new song that kicked my ass. There ended up being no encore and the show ended a little early but I was so content with my experience that I didn't really care. Rocking out with my dad for the first time was something I'll never forget. That show made me a fan for life.

After the show, my dad bought Lest We Forget and gave it to me. I played the fuck out of it for years until I finally got the rest of the discography in 8th grade. I know this isn't on topic, but one of the last memories I have of my dad was him taking me to two Manson shows back-to-back in 2008. The show in Atlanta was the best one I've been to so far, even better than the one back in '04 because Twiggy was back in the band. These moments I shared with him have had a huge impact and it's one of the reasons why this band means so much to me.

DecayingSinner
09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
My first Manson concert was during the Mechanical Animals Promo tour on October 13, 1998 in Camden, New Jersey. I was 18 at the time and really got into Manson a few months before. The show really kicked ass because it was definitely a stripped down show compared to the Rock is Dead tour. It was the first and only times I got to hear the band play Cake and Sodomy and Posthuman.

S.D.
01-24-2019, 09:07 AM
My first Marilyn Manson concert was at London's Docklands Arena (which no longer exists), January 24th, 2001, on the Spring leg of Guns, God & Government.
I thought I'd pop in and update this thread, because I realised it's been eighteen years to the day since that show...

Here it is:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-R3SRgT68I

Enname
01-24-2019, 03:02 PM
The Enmore Theatre, Sydney. March 15, 1997.

Dead to the World Tour. I was 15 (how very Manson of me - 15 on the 15th! I was two weeks shy of 16) and was snuck in under age with my cousin and her boyfriend. No idea what my parents thought I was doing instead. Was my first Rock concert and we could go out on a limb and say it was formative.

Alas, there is no footage that I am aware of.

DecayingSinner
02-19-2019, 04:21 PM
My first show was Friday, October 13, 1998 in Camden, New Jersey for the Mechanical Animals promo tour.

I was 18 at the time and recently became obsessed with Manson after hearing the Dope Show during that summer . Antichrist caught my attention as did Sweet Dreams, but it wasn’t until Mechanical Animals when I finally got it. It seemed everyone in my group attended the Dead to the World show and remember hearing their excitement, so I had no idea what to expect.

This show will always be remembered. It wasn’t everything that the Rock Is Dead tour brought, but it was the one and only time I got to see Posthuman live. The theatrical and energy was amazing and the RID tour was even better.

WlLLYW0NKA
07-13-2019, 08:25 PM
First Manson show was Dead to the World tour in '97. April 16 in West Palm Beach, FL. I was 14 at the time. I'd been trying to see Manson live since he opened for NIN in Miami in '94, but something would always come up. Couldn't get a ride, parents wouldn't let me go, etc. So I was so excited to finally see the band live.

At one point it was looking like the show would be canceled. The city was trying to shut it down in the weeks leaving up. I believe Manson's management threatened a lawsuit. There ended up being so many religious protesters the night of the show, trying to block the entrance, trying to do anything to stop kids from getting in. It was pretty crazy. Shortly after the show, a church ended up buying the venue from the city to stop rock concerts from going there anymore.

As for the show itself, the setlist was pretty typical for a DTTW show at the time. It was the second leg, so Apple of Sodom instead of Cryptorchid. Crowd was into everything. Helmet and Rasputina opened up, but the crowd didn't seem to care about them. Manson had so much energy back then. I wish the DTTW VHS had been a full show instead of all the backstage nonsense and just clips of songs. It was an incredible tour. Only full proshot show I think is '96 in Chile, but hopefully if the ACS box is ever released, they'll put a full proshot show in there on DVD or something.