PDA

View Full Version : The Recipe Thread

Procrastinator
04-02-2011, 03:22 PM
When I saw Emma's lemon cheesecake recipe, it occured to me that I had posted a recipe thread on PM: UMB some time ago and went to look for it but it seems it got lost during the transfer process from the old site to the new one. And seeing as Emma suggested that we should have a recipe group as well, I decided to start a new topic for everyone to exchange recipes, ideas and experience. I love cooking and do it almost on a daily basis, so I shall try to provide photos for my recipes too!

Starting off with one of my absolute favourite spaghetti recipes, cos I'm a huge pasta fan! This is a mixture of a basic, original Italian recipe for spaghetti and another one I found on www.foodnetwork.com (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/everyday-italian/spaghetti-with-olives-and-bread-crumbs-recipe/index.html).

Spaghetti With Olives (Vegetarian)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2zgvn29.jpg

Ingredients:

spaghetti
fresh garlic, finely chopped
olive oil
fresh parsley, finely chopped
sliced black or/and green olives
freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt and (preferably) freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Note: I almost never use measurements, so please excuse me. Maybe one day I should take the time to write them down during cooking. Here is a picture of all the ingredients I used today, just to give you an idea of how much of each one I used:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2earus5.jpg

Method:
Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, then add the spaghetti. I personally don't trust the instructions on the packets because the cooking time might depend on various factors (gas or electrical cooker, etc), so I just check on the spaghetti very often to make sure they're always al dente (for a genuine Italian taste). When they are cooked, drain them well, reserving about one cup of the water they boiled, in case they get sticky later on and need loosening. Transfer the spaghetti to a bowl or something and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil.

In a large pot or deep frying pan, heat about one or two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the finely chopped garlic and cook until it gets a lightly golden colour. Turn the cooker off, but do not remove the pot/pan from it. Add the spaghetti, olives, parsley and parmesan and gently stir everything, season to taste with salt and pepper. If the mixture gets sticky and difficult to stir, add a little bit of the previously reserved pasta water, just to loosen it up- not make it watery. For serving, sprinkle some extra parmesan and/or parsley over the spaghetti.

Hope you enjoy! :) If you are creative and like to experiment in the kitchen, you can use the same basic pasta cooking technique with various ingredients as well. I'd be happy to provide some examples if that wouldn't be too boring to read. Btw, pasta and spaghetti can be extremely delicious with just some olive oil and grated parmesan cheese too! The more simple, the better, imo.

---------------------------*---------------------------

Emma's Quick and Easy Lemon Cheesecake:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/ditame/cheesecake.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=860276&l=8e63aea3cd&id=100000010733285

Please note in this recipe I am using a food processor but you can use other utensils if you do not have a food processor

Ingredients:

For the base:

Plain digestive biscuits
75g of butter - unsalted
Demerara sugar

For the topping:

One tub of marscapone cheese
One small tub of double cream
Two large lemons
White sugar
Small bar of milk chocolate

Making the base:

Put about 10 digestive biscuits into a food processor - break them up a little to make them into smaller pieces so the processor will chop them more easily. (If not using a food processor I suggest using a plain plastic food... bag into which you will insert the base ingredients and crush with a rolling pin.)
Add to the mixture about three tea spoons of Demerara sugar.
In a small microwavable tub put 75g of unsalted butter and then put in the microwave and warm until the butter has started to melt.
Pour the melted butter into the food processor with the rest of your ingredients and then blitz them until the biscuits are chopped into fine pieces.
Scrap the contents into a suitable serving bowl or use separate serving bowls for your guests to make individual mini cheesecakes.
Make sure to pat down the biscuit base as firmly as possible. Once done cover and place in the refrigerator to... harden. I suggest about an hour.

Making the topping:

Clean out the food processor as we are going to use it again.
Now add the full tub of marscapone cheese and a quarter of a tub of double cream.
Now shred the zest of a lemon and place it in a separate bowl - this is for the topping.
Slice the lemons in half and squeeze the juice into mixing bowl. You will need about two lemons which I find makes a nice tarte but not overly bitter lemon taste, but you can add to suit.
Add about three tea spoons of White sugar to the mixture.
Now mix.
Fold the contents out into a bowl, cover and place in the fridge too.
Meanwhile grate a small bar of milk chocolate to use for the topping.
After an hour, take ingredients from fridge.
Gently spoon the cheesecake cream topping onto the biscuit base. Smooth down to make a nice flat topping.
Sprinkle on the lemon zest grating and the chocolate gratings
Now you can serve straight away or you can put in the fridge and serve later.

-----------------------------*-------------------------------

Joker's Epic Shepherd's Pie

You're gonna need:

500g steak mince. Lean, no shit.
Three big potatoes.
A leek.
Three shallots.
Two big carrots.
Ten closed-cup mushrooms.
Two glasses or red wine.
Lea & Perrins / Worcestershire sauce.
Beef stock cube.
Sea salt.
Butter.
Single cream.
Cheddar cheese.

Chop all your vegetables first.

1. First, fry the mince with a little oil. Completely brown it, none of that half-red shit, cooked mince gives it flavour. Salt to taste.
2. Put the potatoes on to boil, in a saucepan of salted water. Don't be a pussy, leave the skins on.
3. Add the chopped up vegetables, and cook until they're soft. Again, taste it and salt it.
3. Add the red wine, a few big splashes of Lea & Perrins, and the stock. Stir it all in and let it simmer until it's just a little more liquid than you'd eat it.
4. Mash the potatoes with butter and cream, and a little salt to taste, so they're creamy and awesome.
5. Put the mince mixture into an oven proof bowl or dish.
6. Cover evenly with the mashed potato.
7. Sprinkle grated cheese on top, and bake until the cheese is melted/bubbling.

P.S.: For anyone who loves cooking, I strongly recommend Julie&Julia (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135503/) in case you haven't seen it yet. Very inspiring, and Meryl Streep is just fucking brilliant in this film!

Shangri-LIE
04-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Shangri-Lie's "Po Man's Pot"

This is something that I had concocted while drunk, and it has turned out to be quite amazing even while just being hungry without having the munchies. It's simple, relativley quick, and easy. It requires no accurate ingredients or measurements.

1 Can of drained Argo Peas.
2 cans of drained Tuna Fish.
1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
3 diced hardboiled eggs
about 1/4 of a block of chopped Velveta Cheese
Fill Mushroom Soup can halfway with milk.

Mix all of these together in any size pot until hot. Stir occaisionally. Then pour over 2 - 4 slices of toast.

Edit - It can be any type of cheese as long as it is block cheese that is cut into cubes and melted. The same gos for the peas. Do not dice, just add and stir. ;)

Joker
04-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Here's a recipe for a soup.

Cream of Rosemary and Potato Soup:

(The measurements on this might not be exact, just use your common sense)

You will need: (per person)

Four good-sized new potatoes.
One onion.
Two cloves of garlic.
A quarter stick of celery.
Rosemary (fresh or dried).
Chicken stock.
Half a cup of single cream.
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste.

1. Half the potatoes, quarter the onions, chop the garlic and celery.
2. Fry them all til they're lightly browned, in a big wok or saucepan.
3. Pour over chicken stock until the ingredients are entirely submerged, and simmer (SIMMER, not boil) for about half an hour - until all the vegetables are very soft.
4. Add a generous amount of rosemary.
5. Blend to a smooth consistency, then add the cream and blend again.
6. Eat it. Simple.

Procrastinator
04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
This recipe sounds delicious Joe, thanks for sharing! I shall try it some day, reminds me a bit of this one (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/cream-of-leek-and-potato-soup-recipe/index.html), which is absolutely fantastic too.

My next recipe is for a traditional Bulgarian vegetable roast, called Gyuvetch, which can also be prepared with meat. I'm calling this recipe 'mine' because I made it up by knowing what the ingredients are, without bothering to look the actual one up or ask my grandmother.

P's Gyuvetch

http://i52.tinypic.com/mx2fkm.jpg

Ingredients:

about half a kilo of potatoes, depends on how much you want to cook really
same amount of carrots, or at least I try to keep it so
two small onions
three green courgettes
1 can of tomatoes
1 can of peas (alternatively you can use green beans too, or flat green beans)
traditionally, we put okra too (aka ladies fingers)
1 vegetable cube
salt'n'peppa, to taste
oregano, also to taste
finely chopped fresh parsley (garnish, optional)

Method:

Peel the potatoes and carrots, them chop them and the courgettes to bite-sized pieces. Put the potatoes and carrots in a baking tray, season to taste with salt and pepper, crush the vegetable cube in, add some olive oil and a bit of water (less than half a cup), then put them in a pre-heated oven. Depending on how well-cooked you like your vegetables, you can add the courgettes to the potatoes and carrots now or a bit later.
While the vegetables are baking, heat one large tablespoon of olive oil in a deep pan. Add the onions and cook until they become half-translucent. Add tomatoes and peas (optionally okra too) and cook for several minutes, then season to taste with salt, pepper and oregano.
When the potatoes, carrots and courgettes are halfway cooked (you need to check on them periodically and also stir them so that they don't get an unpleasant dry crust; you may also need to add some more water if the one you previously poured has evaporated) add the tomato mixture and stir it in.
Roast until the vegetables are cooked. I know this sounds very indefinite, but the oven I use is old and not well-functioning, plus the power of the electricity here varies at different times of day, so trust your intuition and cooking experience. But I reckon the whole baking process shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes if your oven works well. Before serving, sprinkle with some parsley if you wish.

Hope this make sense, let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy! :)

Note: The original recipe is with more water, so you can try doing your roast more watery if you like your vegetables softer and/or find the authentic taste of importance. I personally don't like it that way, although I'm pretty sure this is what you will get if you go to a Turkish restaurant (this dish is traditional for them too, as well as many others are common for both countries). If you want to make your own baklava (because the one you'd normally find in shops and restaurants is not original), let me know and I'll give my grandma a ring to ask her for her recipe!

Hazekiah
04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, this thread really makes me wish I had a kitchen.

O_O

*slurp*

Anyway, I always thought THIS was a really cool fundraiser idea...

http://www.votenader.org/blog/2008/10/09/my-moms-hummus-recipe/

I donated and made a batch for my family to snack on while we watched the '08 presidential debates, so it was kind of like Nader was actually there after all, lol.

:P

twiggysrabies
04-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Twigs' Tuna Casserole

You could add just about any frozen, thawed vegetable to this, if you wanted. Peas or corn work well.

1 box of pasta [1 lb.] Generally Penne works best, but any macaroni-type would do.
1 container basil pesto
1 jar cheese alfredo sauce
1 of the BIG cans of tuna, drained and chunked
1 entire bag of cheese of your liking. Italian blend works well.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook pasta according to directions, drain well. Meanwhile, combine pesto and Alfredo sauce and mix to combine. Add cooked pasta and tuna and mix gently.

Pour into a baking dish and top with the bag of cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is hot.

Ta-da. Done! And it's delicious. If you don't like tuna, you can easily substitute tuna for chicken.

Procrastinator
04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow, this thread really makes me wish I had a kitchen.

As someone who's not had a kitchen for about one year, I completely sympathize. Hope you have access to one soon.

I donated and made a batch for my family to snack on while we watched the '08 presidential debates, so it was kind of like Nader was actually there after all, lol.

Was the recipe worth the donation? I can't make a donation to find out, but I also don't really care where hoummous originally comes from. Why not just enjoy it?

The Empirical Guy
05-13-2012, 05:34 AM
EPIC BUMP.

Ok, so this isn't really a 'recipe' as such as it's hardly complicated enough to even warrant steps, and I've yet to try it myself, but someone else told me the idea and thought I'd share it with you all... It's simple really, just a toasted sandwich, made in one of the sandwich makers that seal the edges shut (not just a top-down press or grill, this is important for the next bit)... the kicker is what you make it with: use raisin toast instead of bread, and put in chocolate and cinnamon for the filling :) Thinner chocolate is better, so it all melts and mixes with the cinnamon (this is why you need a sealed-edge sandwich maker, so you don't end up with liquid chocolate running everywhere). Heaps keen to try it when I get a chance.

Golden Eel
05-13-2012, 06:06 AM
How to make a bologna and egg sandwich:

- Fry two pieces of bologna
- Fry two eggs over-medium so the yolk is still plenty runny
- Toast two pieces of bread when you crack the eggs;
- Layer bologna/eggs on buttered-toast in alternating order
- Tobasco/salt/pepper optional;
- Eat while hot and let the yolk explode as you bite into it and it runs down your chin
- Go fuck yourself

There. Now I don't want to hear any of you complaining about being hungry any more.

You're welcome.

sayyosin
05-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Ramlet

-Scramble eggs
-Boil ramen noodles
-Put scrambled eggs in frying pan on low heat
-Mix in seasoning packet and stir
-Wait until the bottom of the eggs are cooked.
-Put noodles on top and flatten it down
-Fold eggs over to create omelet
-Let it sit for a minute so the inside gets cooked
-Take it off, put on a plate, and devour that monstrosity

*add cheese and hot sauce for extra awesomeness

**I'm not responsible for your disgust if you ate this sober

Joker
05-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Here's a recipe for some pasta I made the girlfriend last week.

Shroom Pasta

You will need: (per person)

A handful or two of Penne pasta
A cup of cream.
A cup of fresh button or chestnut mushrooms.
A cup of fresh mixed fancy mushrooms (I use shiitaake and oyster).
Half a cup of mussels, clams or shrimps.
One clove of garlic, crushed or chopped.
Salt and pepper.
Olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste.

1. Very finely chop up the chestnut/button mushrooms.
2. Loosely chop or shred the fancy shrooms.
3. Put the finely chopped shrooms in a big saucepan, stir in a little oil, and put on a medium heat.
4. Fry the seafood, garlic and fancy shrooms in a little olive oil until browned, then put them aside.
5. When the finely chopped mushrooms are cooked, add in the seafood and other mushrooms.
6. Pour in the cream, stir it in slowly, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Make sure it's all cooked through and evenly mixed.
8. Serve with some good quality Italian bread or garlic bread.

It's not the world's healthiest dish, due to all the cream, but it went down well.

AssetReign
05-13-2012, 05:01 PM
The mushroom pasta sounds incredible.

The Empirical Guy
05-14-2012, 03:19 AM
When you say "fancy mushrooms", supposedly you can make those as "fancy" as you like, yes...?

Joker
05-14-2012, 04:10 AM
I haven't tried, but knock yourself out. Let us know how it goes.

The Empirical Guy
05-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Not my kind of thing, I don't even like regular mushrooms. Suggestion's there though, would be a hell of an omelette.