PDA

View Full Version : Rapeture

S.D.
05-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I haven't seen anyone dissecting the newest Journal post yet, which is disappointing given it's more-or-less the first one we've seen for about seven years...
There's some rather nice little self-references going all the way back to Portrait Of An American Family in his words, and definite closure moving on from The High End Of Low.

Manson says "Burning Witches. Burning Bridges", directly referring to lyrics from Dogma perhaps - "Burn the witches/Burn your bridges". Then of course he says "Burning Flags", so there's a Holy Wood reference in there.
The part referring to "whatever 'ism'" reminds me of that term's use during Irresponsible Hate Anthem (and the Journal entry's title in turn - "I'd rape the raper".
"Flightless Creatures" seems a direct nod to his commentary during The High End Of Low that the album was about losing your wings, a fall from grace? Running To The Edge Of The World also, perhaps? - "break all of their wings and
make sure it crashes".
"Rise from the bonfire" is perhaps a defiant step away from Into The Fire? The motif throughout The High End Of Low seemed to be about achieving redemption, becoming something new through fire, perhaps Manson feels he has achieved this now?

Anyway, these are my thoughts, hopefully some discussion can be generated.

Hexon.Arq
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
"But we will not be the ashes" | "She's a burning string; I am just the ashes." - In The Shadow of the Valley of Death

He's still throwing around "blowing jobs", I see. I'm starting to wonder if he even got it from The Last Exorcism or if that movie got it from somewhere else. It's such a random phrase to keep in your pocket.

timoldbean
05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Despite it's new-ness, this still reads like the same old Manson - as has been pointed out, there's references to the complete range of his career throughout the short entry - and they all read very similar... Destruction, art, literature (brave new world) championing above others. We've heard it before in all forms of his art.

And yet thinking that a whole career worth of material is still worth saying gives this more power - the underlying feeling behind the entry (and the re-design) appeals to me as it feels like his way of saying 'I'm still here, it's still worth remembering ... here's a reminder' and that the message can easily become forgotten without someone constantly pushing and destroying. Essentially this reads like he hasn't changed despite time, website design, business deals and fan/public interest - which is admirable as most other artists seem to take note (at least of the last 2 things I've mentioned there) and would change accordingly. I'm especially liking this for it's arrogance really, which works really well for Manson.

Cringeon
05-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Brave Now World felt somewhat connected to downloadable suicide. In a way, I feel he's telling people who can't read media bullshit and see past the bullshit, can only blame themselves for their reaction to it. It does echo a lot of the past, but I get the impression that what anyone thought the plan for MM was going to be - could be completely wrong.

Shangri-LIE
05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
God Dammit. Har Har. Got it.

What I got from that entry is that Manson is about to show us how Perfektly insensetive and fucked up he can be. Wordplay is subjective. He's tired of the cliques, even amongst us. Us. We're not all friends. We're not all like minded. He sees this, and is going to exploit it. I hope you all are happy. :)

*gos back to terrorizing a forum I actually do HATE. Babalon. Oh, Emma, can I borrow your blind eyeliner?

The Empirical Guy
05-24-2011, 02:47 AM
We never wanted our wings anyway.

Immediately made me think of ACSS-era speak of wings. "Then I got my wings" etc. Now he says "we" never wanted them anyway... it reminded me of one of the ideas around Holy Wood, becoming everything you set out to be and realizing it wasn't what you first thought.

Cringeon
05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
All seems to echo a unity of the band, speaks as "we" rather than he/I.

Emma
05-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Actually using "We" reminded me of The Outer Limits opening:

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits

I'm thinking the "We" is more than just the band but the "we" being a collective. Maybe that is what Manson is trying to assemble again - a strong collective.

we will not be the ashes. We will not be cremated, we will cauterize our wounds. We never wanted our wings anyway. We are more than the flightless creatures

You're one of us remember.......

But then I could be very wrong.....

Hexon.Arq
05-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, when he said "we" you know he meant...

The Empirical Guy
05-25-2011, 02:49 AM
Oh yes, that is very good.

Shangri-LIE
05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah.

Shangri-LIE
08-14-2011, 02:21 PM
http://staefcraeft.blogspot.com/2011/05/rapture-now-with-more-harpies.html

Read that ^ it's interesting and this thread is a good spot for it. Needless to say, I believe we can anticipate to be swiftly snacthed up for some non consensual sex in the sky like a rape orgy eclipse of the sun. What that means in non Shangsy cryptic words is that this record is going to drop on us out of nowhere and we'll all love it whether we want to or not.