PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides

Hazekiah
05-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Aside from walking in on about 20 minutes worth of some pals watching the first one about 6 years ago, I've never seen any of the PotC movies before this. But a buddy of mine wanted to check it out so I said FUCK IT, gobbled down some mushrooms and weed brownies, sneaked in some booze, and just relaxed into a fun night out at the movies with good company.

For the most part, I felt Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides delivered.

Now, while I don't know much about the franchise itself, I'd already been indoctrinated in the world of pirate fiction through another pal who pretty much forced me to read every goddamned book about Errol Flynn that's ever been written, which eventually led him to switch gears and make me read Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (Flynn's 1st major role). Having next-to-no interest in the general subject matter beforehand, I was fairly astonished to find myself thoroughly engrossed by its expertly crafted brand of swashbuckling naval action.

(A HIGHLY recommended read for anyone who digs these movies or that sort of thing, btw.)

Likewise, not expecting too much from a Disney movie, I was pretty shocked to see how much pirate genre detail and related lingo was crammed into this movie. I'm not enough of an aficionado to necessarily understand the minutia of the terminology or the references spread throughout the flick, but there was a definite ring of truth to most of the shipyard-talk...enough to indicate that someone involved in the scriptwriting certainly knew their shit, at least. Which, again, was pretty surprising and enjoyable for me as a franchise-outsider. Really kept me interested through the talkier bits.

And as much as I enjoy pretty much anything Johnny Depp does, man, Geoffery Rush and Ian McShane were just fantastic! It looked like they were absolutely having a blast with their roles and getting a real kick out of dominating just about every scene they were in. During the more boring stretches (which I'll admit began to seem plentiful), I was practically counting down the minutes till one of them would come back to chew up some scenery and make the rest of the flick seem worthwhile again. Instant classic pirate performances.

For that matter, same goes for the costume designs and the INSANELY awesome designs of the ships, especially Blackbeard's (on BOTH counts). Absolutely TOP NOTCH work with a great eye for detail.

Can't really say the same for the 3D, though.

While the direction seemed adequate enough for a 2D presentation, it really felt (and looked) like the 3D was nothing more than an incidental afterthought. I can't even remember one specific shot that seemed to take full advantage of the 3D medium, and knowing it was shot in 3D and *ahem* chemically-prepping for it like I did, that was obviously something I was looking forward to on the way in. Disappointing, to say the least.

Sure, there were occasional poke-your-eye-out-with-a-sword moments sprinkled throughout, but for the most part nothing was handled properly to help sell the illusion. It generally just looked like a cheap-o 2D-to-3D conversion job in the lazily-executed fore-/mid-/background plate or "pop-up book" vein. Disney and the director really dropped the ball BIG TIME there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of great or even decent 3D, but it really seemed like they didn't even try and shouldn't even have bothered with it in this case if they weren't planning on really using it. Meh.

Aside from that, though, there were really only two things that took me out of the movie.

1. Johnny Depp escaping from his bonds by scuttling up the palm/coconut/whatever tree. Okay, it was a fun idea. But somehow he just appeared at the top all of a sudden with his bonds magically loosened and slung around his shoulders? And not a single branch bent or leaf disturbed on the treetop? WTF. Utterly retarded and absurdly implausible. And this is coming from someone who had no problem with the ship-in-the-bottle, mind you.

2. WTF was up with the organic web-shooting mermaids? I enjoyed the feral variation on the general theme, but their projectile-wrist-ropes or whatever the fuck they were supposed to be just left me scratching my head. WTF would something like that have to do with life as a mermaid anyway? Is that stuff explained in an earlier film or something?!? Seriously. Just...WAT. o_O

Anyway, like I said...it was overall a pretty enjoyable live action Disney pirate movie, albeit a bit flawed and disappointing here and there.

Not really sure what more anyone would expect from it, but I don't know, maybe the other three were cinematic masterpieces or something.

I seriously doubt that, of course, but it HAS given me a foothold on the franchise and at least intrigued me enough to slap on some eyeliner and finally dig into the rest of 'em someday.

*shrugz*

Norsefire
05-30-2011, 09:16 AM
I saw this last weekend, and Haz I really think you should watch the first 3. I enjoyed this 4th film but I don't think it was as good as the previous films but for a 4th I thought it was really good.

I remember when I first watched the first film and I also thought it was going to be shit because it's a Disney film, but yeah actually they're pretty awesome films. I don't take them too seriously, Johnny Depp plays a great character and makes it funny.
Captain Barbossa made me laugh in this 4th film, being on the other side after seeing him in the previous films.

Peaches
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Haz, you definitely NEED to see the first three. This 4th one wasn't as good as the 1st or 3rd, but it's about equal with the 2nd film. If I had to put them in order from best to worst I'd say: 3rd, 1st, 4th/2nd.

The 3rd one in particular (At World's End) is, to me at least, the very BEST of the franchise. While the plot is kinda hard to follow if you don't pay attention, and there is a fuckton of shit going on, it is still SO GODDAMN GOOD. That movie, lemme tell you, just fucking golden...One of my most favorite films actually. It makes my top ten! This coming from an elitist movie nerd, mind you...hahaha.

So, yeah Haz! GET ON THAT SHIT! Watch them all! And then report back here to Captain Peaches to tell what you think about them...hahaha. They are all definitely worth your time. :)

darkmy
05-31-2011, 09:13 AM
im going to see it tomorrow and im going to see it just because Johnny Depp plays in it i just love the guy ( in a non gay way ) .

Ich_Bin_Du
05-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Saw it last week, well. Meh. The first three movies were way better, but well. Jack Sparrow is always worth watching. :D

Dronepool
05-31-2011, 07:16 PM
I saw the first one but don't remember crap about it, saw parts of the second... not sure about the third and wasn't even aware this came out already. They look good, but I probably have ADD or need someone to watch them with to pay more attention.

spaceSuicide
06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
They look good, but I probably have ADD or need someone to watch them with to pay more attention.

They're too long, that's why.