PDA

View Full Version : Isolation?

S.D.
06-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm aware there's only two lyrics available from the new Manson album, but this isn't a premature idea. They both strike me as being about isolation in some way, or having no specific "place":-

"I am among no one"
"the center of the universe cannot exist if there are no edges"
MM

The first lyric obviously implies Manson is singular - it's something he's always touched upon, the Christ-like figure, Omega, Adam Kadmon, the Antichrist Superstar. I wonder if this theme is where the album's direction will go? I am surprised the lyric revealed on Fleischer's Universe (and what an appropriate show to debut it on...) hasn't been discussed more by fans. It reminds me a little of the Science Fiction themes running through Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood, and Manson's implication that the world exists within our own heads. I really want to know what the context of the second lyric is, it's interesting for Manson to be discussing the entire Universe, but also making it seem shapeless, as though it has no meaning?

I get the distinct feeling there's going to be some interesting philosophies on this record, I can't wait to hear more. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Shangri-LIE
06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
I was going to mention something along the lines of this obeservation, but have been busy. But good topic. I was thinking of how he's made the transition, or seeming transition from "I am you", to "I am among no one". Given that we don't have much to work with, the inferences from those two lyrics seem to point in the direction of him truly being among no one. Perhaps him acknowledging that he is in a class of his own, and this record is really going to break a lot of fucking barriers? Pehaps he has just accepted that he is really just a misunderstood mascot for Hollywood, and the world, and that the only people that surround him are people that will never get too close to his core. People that will never intimately know him, and that he has accepted this role, planning to turn his recent candid smile into sharpened teeth? "We have high places but we have no friends."

_Squaring_The_Circle-Lie

Edit - As for the context of the second lyric "The center of the universe cannot exist if there are no edges" can be looked at literally, with the theory of "geocentrism" where the Earth is the center of the universe, and to an "observer" can appear to not be going anywhere at all unless they are viewing it from the outside, or from a distance. Or from a parallax viewpoint, as a metaphor, that nothing would exist without observers, not even "the observer". I'll go more into it later. I just wanted to add that really quick.

The Empirical Guy
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I hadn't really connected the two, but when he said that second lyric on Fleischer's Universe, my mind was blown by his repeated ability to make very simple, almost obvious, yet profound statements. I agree on the first lyric though, since first hearing it I had been thinking of it in the sense of him as a singular, there are no others like him, maybe even in the sense that he has elevated or ascended (thinking of the evolution themes on Holy Wood here...) above the regular masses of humanity.

Christina
06-26-2011, 04:27 PM
I am surprised the lyric revealed on Fleischer's Universe (and what an appropriate show to debut it on...) hasn't been discussed more by fans.

I still haven't seen it. :(

Shangri-LIE
06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
I still haven't seen it. :(

You can watch it in the MM news section on here.

http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/3483-Marilyn-Manson-on-Fleischer-s-Universe-Ustream.tv-June-21/page2

Or....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKGlhbmwts

Christina
06-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Aww, thanks Shang!

Boy, wouldn't Manson be an interesting person to have at your own birthday party?

Ok, okay, this is analysis and not random discussion. I'll leave!

Alexandra
06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
The first lyric obviously implies Manson is singular - it's something he's always touched upon, the Christ-like figure, Omega, Adam Kadmon, the Antichrist Superstar. I wonder if this theme is where the album's direction will go? I am surprised the lyric revealed on Fleischer's Universe (and what an appropriate show to debut it on...) hasn't been discussed more by fans.

That's a clever connection; I haven't thought about trying to link the two lyrics together, however I think it simply might be a little too early to draw any conclusions. As for me, I think I'll reserve my own thoughts for later, once we have some more information provided.

...which doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed reading some of the interpretations posted here. :)

S.D.
06-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Given that we don't have much to work with, the inferences from those two lyrics seem to point in the direction of him truly being among no one. Perhaps him acknowledging that he is in a class of his own, and this record is really going to break a lot of fucking barriers?
This is a nice way of considering things, as is the use of the mOBSCENE lyric. At the same time I think the "me" is still "we" sometimes, Manson has successfully turned his name and life into something that includes a whole collective of people, who as fans of his work, we gravitate towards also. I think if 'Marilyn Manson' is as much an idea as it is a person, then it's possible for that idea to include other people.

The geocentrism avenue is interesting, I want to know more about the song that lyric comes from until being able to make a proper comment on it, but it's clear Manson's thought patterns and commentary are wider, and more encompassing this time around. I get the feeling the album title will give a more succinct idea on what the record's theme is, given how long he's been sat on it and not revealed anything...

Empirical, the ascension thoughts are nice. I don't necessarily think there'll be any lyrical links between this new album and the last one, as that seems to be a closed chapter, but there was discussion of being a fallen angel, losing wings and such on The High End Of Low, so perhaps this will be a logical move forward from that?

I think it simply might be a little too early to draw any conclusions.
Yes, it is a little early, even by my standards. I still wanted to spark a little conversation in the Analyses section though, I get pangs when it's quiet... :(

adamchabbi6
06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
I remember hearing the clip of I am among no one, which seems to be a track that most of us can all relate to at some point in our lives. That lyric certainly reminds me of Manson's earlier work when his lyrics were describing about being unaccepted by people in society, e.g. in Coma White and Irresponsible Hate Anthem. So who knows, the new album might return with similar themes to his older albums.

S.D.
02-12-2012, 03:44 PM
As ever, I'm slowly collating ideas and theories surrounding Born Villain, but here's something I considered this evening after reading some of the discussion of No Reflection [HERE (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/3839-Marilyn-Manson-On-Alan-Cox-Radio-Show-100.7-WMMS-Born-Villain-News!?p=94679&viewfull=1#post94679)].

Although I perceive Manson is fully distanced from The High End Of Low in terms of how he sees the world now, during that album there was a repeat thematic of him seeing his own reflection:-

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_52.jpg http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_51.jpg

http://www.providermodule.com/videography/images/running/11.jpg

Perhaps him declaring "No Reflection" is a way of proclaiming himself whole, or more settled in himself in comparison with three years ago? Staring at yourself in the mirror suggests a fractured personality, a search for completion, even a split personality. Maybe this new record moves away from that?

Note how in The Golden Age Of Grotesque booklet Manson's looking at himself in a mirror, but we don't see the reflection, and he's almost looking past it, like an ironic gaze, he doesn't care what it shows.
During EAT ME, DRINK ME, he takes on this vampire persona, declaring "No reflections here", and also deliberately turns from the window glass (which is black) as if to turn away from his own image.
Then you have The High End Of Low, and these dark, contemplative mirror shots, with Manson perhaps forced to look at himself - "Am I my own shadow?" - and now deciding that to have no reflection is to be complete?

petticoat
02-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Ah hah!

Mirrors have been used in films to indicate personality shifts, disorders, undoings, disassociation from the 'self.' Check out Roman Polanski's The Tenant for a very good and disturbing example of this.

I think part of it is that Marilyn Manson is interested in evolution. "The monkey, the man, then the gun" pretty much sums up a whole lot for me, and on a larger scale, but I also think that personal evolution is inherent in much of his work, obviously. Watching yourself change into new and different things is bound to be intriguing. Like train wrecks or flowers growing between cracks in the asphalt. There's a lot to think about!

adamchabbi6
02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I think part of it is that Marilyn Manson is interested in evolution. "The monkey, the man, then the gun" pretty much sums up a whole lot for me, and on a larger scale, but I also think that personal evolution is inherent in much of his work, obviously.

I believe that Manson's intention with the lyric was to describe his belief on how the human race has developed into becoming a violent society. So in a way I think it was a pretty smart quote, as he is convincing people (particularly the media after being blamed for Columbine) that an act of violence can't be blamed on anyone else since it is an aspect of human nature.

MisanthroPope
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I thought "I am among no one" was comparable to "I'm fucking glad we're different" from Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth. Yeah, I'm not like you and I wouldn't have it any other way. At least, that's how I like to interpret it.

S.D.
07-17-2013, 11:56 PM
I knew there was a topic here somewhere this would fit into. I've mentioned a few times recently how I like to cross reference Manson's paintings with his music, seeing if themes, imagery, colour schemes and titles correlate between the two mediums. Here's one I'd not noticed before:-

http://www.providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./arm_no_one.jpg
I've Got My Arm Around No One . MM

"I Am Among No One"

Note also how in the painting, Manson's figure has the familiar grilled mouth, much like the apparatus seen in Born Villain promotional imagery, and during the Born Villain trailer film. I suppose, thinking on it further, many of Manson's painted subjects are alone, surrounded by nothing, or at least self contained in an environment excluding others. Even those that seem to represent more than one figure often depict them as a single entity; Do I Have To Do Everything For You, Golgotha Revised, Trismegistus, Crop Failure, We're On God's Side, to name a few.