PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight Rises. [Probably spoilers.]

Golden Eel
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/

The teaser doesn't really show much, but it got me excited. I'm not sure how Nolan will make the villains stand up against Ledger's Joker, but I have a bit of faith. Either way, discuss what little there is to discuss so far.

ThreeEyedGod
07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
heard this was fan-made

ImNotJesus
07-21-2011, 01:21 AM
I somehow doubt just a fan could register that web domain.

Golden Eel
07-21-2011, 03:47 AM
Unless they snuck into every movie theater in America to place the teaser before Harry Potter, it's not fan made.

DecayingSinner
07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I got dragged to Harry Potter last weekend and the best part was seeing the trailer for this. I am super excited!!!! Not sure how they came up with all of this...didn't they just start filming a few months ago? I remember recently hearing Hathaway was playing Catwoman.

Doppelgänger
07-23-2011, 08:26 AM
wonder what happened to Gordon to put him in hospital?

ThreeEyedGod
07-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Nm, I was thinking of a some different trailer I had seen...that was fan made.

Hazekiah
07-30-2011, 03:05 AM
For anyone who still hasn't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EjSlqNACts

Haha, fucking FANTASTIC.

:)

Mi-CroMartie
04-30-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g8evyE9TuYk

Please fast forward to July 20!!!

Adam del desert
05-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Fucking awesome :D
Epic of epicness XD
July 20?!!?!? omg i can't wait thaaaaaat looooong >__<

Not Mechanical
05-01-2012, 05:28 AM
This is looking awesome.
Of all things, I'm still getting excited Joseph Gordon-Levitt's in it.

AlcoholicArtist
05-01-2012, 06:25 AM
I hope they haven't given in to all the criticism towards Bane's inaudible voice and redubbed it, that's what it sounds like to me in this trailer.

Mi-CroMartie
05-01-2012, 06:46 AM
the part where Bane said, "Your punishment must be more severe" line sounded like Alfred's voice!! O___O.

Joker
05-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I hope they haven't given in to all the criticism towards Bane's inaudible voice and redubbed it, that's what it sounds like to me in this trailer.

Yeah, I'm worried about this, too. The trailer's so exciting I think I had a little sex wee, though. I'm looking forward to this film.

DecayingSinner
05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I CAN NOT wait to see this movie!!!!!! This trailer is the best out of the three.

sayyosin
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Going to the premiere tonight. \m/

07-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Fantastic film! Just got back. Not sure if I prefer it to the dark knight, but that was one of my favorite movies ever, so its high expectations. There's a few surprises. Make sure you see the film before you hear too much

Norsefire
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I haven't really read anything about this film, I've got film magazines that cover stuff but apart from looking at the photographs I never read the articles and I've kept away from the new reviews.

Just booked tickets to see this tonight. :D

sayyosin
07-20-2012, 12:23 PM
What 303 said. It was very epic. I think The Dark Knight was better, but this was really brilliant too.

Go see it!

Sans Agendum
07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
It was really really good and incredibly grand in scope. Shit definitely goes epically catastrophic for Gotham in this movie beyond the previous films.

I am kind of concerned with the hints made at the end with this Blake character though. :(

Cannibal-Corpse
07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Good movie, but i'll be the only one to say the pacing in the middle was a bit rushed... Fight scenes were great, the ending was sad.

Bane - Was a solid villain, def a fair match to Batman's physical strength, an let him have it the first fight but the last fight could have been better.

Catwoman - Not a huge Hathaway fan but she kicked ass as Catwoman, much different then Brton's version but she had sex appeal an showed a side of physical strength to herself i have never seen before. Kudos to her...

Batman - Bale's best performance of Batman since ''Batman Begins'' his voice was solid, his action sequences were well done.. No complaints.

Alfred - Played by ''Micheal Caine'' was easily the best actor in the film, easily his words almost made you want to tear up...

Ending wasn't what i expected but not bad, a much more realistic touch.... There is a character mentioned at the very end that just made me go ''Ugh'' but otherwise it was a good film an a solid ending to the trilogy... I will be watching it again though to check out if i change my mind on the pacing issue for the middle of the film.

Mi-CroMartie
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
^ The ending where it had something to do with that Detective Blake guy whose first name was ROBIN!!? Right?

iggy
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I really really wanted to go see this, but I'm afraid I might get shot.

Mi-CroMartie
07-20-2012, 05:35 PM
I didn't expect Bane's partner to be Talia Al Ghul aka Batman's current GF aka Miranda Tate CEO of Wayne Enterprises

DecayingSinner
07-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Such a good movie. I'm not so much a fan of Anne Hathaway either, but she impressed me. Not too much use of Catwoman, just enough. I didn't know if Bane could be pulled off, but it totally was perfect. Loved his voice. The action scenes I thought were a little superior to the Dark Knight. There were definitely parts that surprised me. A good ending to the trilogy.

Dirge Inferno
07-21-2012, 07:35 AM
That movie was fucking amazing, 10/10!
I'm not going to give you any spoilers.http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111214064523/halo/images/d/dc/Troll_face.png

The Empirical Guy
07-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Just got back, and... eh. That's it really. Call me a movie snob but stuff like this just doesn't really interest me too much... maybe if I was a big Batman fan I would have got in to it more, but as a general movie goer it was just such a typical big-budget Hollywood film that didn't seem to have much real substance or depth to it. I felt a large portion of the film was lost in the inaudibility of Batman's now infamous gruff voice, and Bane's cross-breed between Darth Vader, Sean Connery and Gandalf, though he did otherwise play the character well. I thought Anne Hathaway did a good job of Catwoman, though I still think she was an odd choice for the role and possibly not the best choice they could have made. Definitely preferred the previous film, Heath Ledger's Joker just owned this entire trilogy as far as I'm concerned. I thought the ending was fitting, if a little stretched in its passage of time.

Seriously, how far was that Bat flyer moving? It didn't appear to be going that fast but he somehow managed to get the bomb from inside the city to several miles out to sea in less than a minute and a half. It's good to know that when the clock was ticking on the city's destruction, he felt he had the time to stick around and slip the tongue in with Catwoman.

I felt it was lacking a bit in the big, over-the-top action sequences you expect from a film like this as well. All in, decent enough for some entertainment, but hardly joining the ranks of film greatness. Find it kind of hard to believe Nolan can turn out a film like Inception, and then this as well.

Norsefire
07-21-2012, 09:23 AM
I really enjoyed the film and like I said before I never really read too much into it so I wasn't spoiled at all. Long film, but it didn't feel that long to me I think they kept the film flowing really well so there wasn't any boring/slow parts in it.

I thought BANE was fucking brilliant! I remember there was a big issue with his voice, I don't care because I loved it. He sounded like a true villain, I had no problem understanding him either.

The only bad part with Bane was...
So Catwoman just rolls in and blasts him across the room and that's it?????? Kind of a disappointing death scene.

I enjoyed Catwoman, I thought she brought some humour into the film and the actress did a great job of playing the character.

The ending was kind of predictable, but I still enjoyed watching those final scenes play out.

I need to see it again...

Celebrity Killing Spree
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
It was good but still te weakest in the series.

Joseph Gordan Levitt stole the show IMO. Hathaway was competent but her character was really well written so it's not like it too hard.

I think my only real problem was with the story structure. Though I also didn't like some of the editing.

Maybe I'll write up a proper review later.

The Empirical Guy
07-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Joseph Gordan Levitt stole the show IMO. Hathaway was competent but her character was really well written so it's not like it too hard.

I think you're right, his character stole the show from Batman in a lot of places I think.

If they should do a film based on Robin (which, for the record, I kind of hope they don't) I hope they bring him back in to play the part.

I was also noticing some Nolan regulars appearing in the film. Of course, Cillian Murphy was back as Scarecrow, but with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Marion Cotillard as well, there was a trio of actors who appeared in both this film and Inception.

Dronepool
07-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Manichaeist
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
yes this was fucking fantastic

Tom Hardy is a god basically. There's nothing harder in a recent movie than:

"Ah yes...I was wondering what would break first...your spirit...or your body." That's as shocking and brutal a scene as you can have in a film and there's absolutely no blood or weapons of any kind used.

21Faces
07-27-2012, 04:27 AM
The more I think about this movie the more I am disappointed in it's cop-out ending (the Batman equivalent of actually showing us the spinning top falling over at the end of Inception), requiring quite a bit of ham-fisted expository re: Alfred's Italian cafe fantasy and the Batwing's autopilot. Levitt was great as always, but his enitre exercise in the film is reduced to instant cheese after he's named at the end. "Oh, by the way- I like your first name!" Seriously? That's how they decided to wedge that in? WE SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE! HURRR. Tom Hardy had stellar presence and delivery, but Bane doesn't ever do anything quite as exciting or impressive as his first scene so it's all downhill from the beginning with him. Hathaway was solid, but her character was more or less unnecessary. The film itself was thematically messy and self-contradictory compared to its predecessor, which offered a villain who embodied relatable fears and concerns audiences are confronted with in the real world: chaos, uncertainty, and senseless violence. DKR, by comparison, simply regurgitates the conflict of the first film with villains that have no corllolary in the real world and a fantastic ideology that doesn't make any sense.

This leads us to the film's biggest sin: the ticking time bomb. The device of a ticking time bomb approaches cliche even as a concept, but they actually went with a LITERAL ticking time bomb? That was pretty much done to death by the mid 90's. I mean Jesus Christ if these guys had reached any further into the dustbin of antiquated MacGuffins we might have had to watch Bane tie up a pretty girl to railroad tracks. Disappointing.

On the upside, Michael Cain was fantastic, his exchanges with Bale were poignant, honest, and relevant. Hs dialog hinted at themes of bodily transcendence that are carried forward further in Wayne's trials in the Pit, even if they are ultimately disregarded in the resolution of the third act. Remember when the Joker asks "Do you really think I would leave the soul of Gotham up to a fist fight with you!?" As in "hey, wouldn't that be silly and cliche?" apparently not for DKR. My favorite scenes of the film, however, involved the Kafkaesque digression of Gotham's court system and the cameo appearance of the judge. Brilliant!

All in all, much better than Avengers- although it's almost not a fair compassion since Avengers barely qualifies as legitimate film, but whatever. The Dark Kight is still the best ever super hero trilogy to date. Only that's in spite of its third installment, not because of it, unfortunately.

Manichaeist
07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
saw this film for a second time and think it's absolutely brilliant

will probably go again in a few days...kinda hard not to go back to the Lincoln Square IMAX, though...going to feel really weird seeing this on anything other than a 76X97 screen.

Manichaeist
07-27-2012, 02:47 PM
This leads us to the film's biggest sin: the ticking time bomb. The device of a ticking time bomb approaches cliche even as a concept, but they actually went with a LITERAL ticking time bomb? That was pretty much done to death by the mid 90's. I mean Jesus Christ if these guys had reached any further into the dustbin of antiquated MacGuffins we might have had to watch Bane tie up a pretty girl to railroad tracks. Disappointing.

Remember when the Joker asks "Do you really think I would leave the soul of Gotham up to a fist fight with you!?" As in "hey, wouldn't that be silly and cliche?" apparently not for DKR.

so, what you're saying is that after about 2 hours and 30 minutes were devoted to a man completely rebuilding himself intellectually, emotionally and physically, Bruce Wayne/Batman should also had been forced to deal with a series of challenging mental puzzles authored by Bane & Talia. righto.

Atom
07-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Fuck, this movie was good. Bane's voice was absolutely perfect for the character. It really made him seem even more terrifying and ominous. There's so many amazing scenes like the first fight scene between Bane and Batman. It's so brutal and intense. I loved that there was no music and only the sound of Batman being beaten and then angrily trying to injure Bane. Also, the scene where the kid is singing the national anthem on the football field was brilliantly done. So much intensity. The last fight scene and on and on. It was all really well done.

I really don't have any complaints about anything in regards to the film. It ended the trilogy perfectly, in my opinion. No shitty cliffhanger or anything.

21Faces
07-27-2012, 10:12 PM
so, what you're saying is that after about 2 hours and 30 minutes were devoted to a man completely rebuilding himself intellectually, emotionally and physically, Bruce Wayne/Batman should also had been forced to deal with a series of challenging mental puzzles authored by Bane & Talia. righto.
No. I'm not saying that the conflict of the 2nd film was superior because it involved "a series of mental puzzles" (although the film's organic approach to conflict escalation was certainly refreshing), because the Joker's quip about fistfights was about tearing down Harvey Dent and transforming him into Gotham's Cicero (one of the street names the Joker mentions when offering Batman a choice of who to save, named for the tragic Greek figure who began as a model statesman and was ultimately murdered as an enemy of the state). The conflict of the film was driven directly by the development of its characters, who's internal and external conflicts illustrated the film's larger themes. That is the kind of brilliant screenwriting that made the Dark Knight far more than a great superhero film, but a great film period.

That's all a far cry from the paint-by-numbers contrivance of a ticking time bomb- a purely mechanical device both literally and figuratively impotent to push the action forward in more than a surface-level way. And it's not like there wasn't any time for anything more complex, because as soon you see "kidnapped Eastern European scientist" + "new fission reactor" you know "bomb," and those pieces come together well before the first hour mark, hours wasted on a connect-the-dots story element done to death that doesn't inform the rest of the story's material in any meaningful way.

So that's why The Dark Knight is far and away superior to Rises. I'm not happy about it, but that's just the way it is. I really wanted DKR to be great- the greatest. Unfortunately it just isn't.

Atom
07-28-2012, 05:22 AM
One of the main villains he's fighting in this one is Bane, who represents sheer brute force, among other things. It's a different movie with different villains. He wasn't fighting the Joker. It would be stupid and incredibly boring if it was like the previous film. It also wouldn't make much sense if Bane wasted his time with "puzzles" when he could lay out Batman easily.

Norsefire
07-28-2012, 06:34 AM
One of my favourites part of the film was when Bane totally beat the shit out of Batman.

21Faces
07-28-2012, 08:05 AM
One of the main villains he's fighting in this one is Bane, who represents sheer brute force, among other things. It's a different movie with different villains. He wasn't fighting the Joker. It would be stupid and incredibly boring if it was like the previous film. It also wouldn't make much sense if Bane wasted his time with "puzzles" when he could lay out Batman easily.

Seriously? Can people drop the fucking puzzles thing? That's not what I'm talking about at all. DK is not superior to DKR because it had "puzzles" and DKR did not. It is superior because its external conflicts were driven by internal conflicts, so the film was able to move along both levels simulteously without wasting time on superficial expository nonsense. Before seeing the film I read somewhere that Bane had an "earthquake machine," obviously based on speculation of the film's promotional material. If Bane DID have an earthquake machine, or a freeze ray, or a vat of fear-inducing hallucinogenic chemicals, it would not have altered the story at all whatsoever. Because these are empty devices that are completely interchangeable with any other- so all the expository material needed to push these awkward elements along- conversations about auto-pilots, flood chambers, car convoys, fake car convoys, gadgets to block detonation transmissions, kidnapped scientists... these empty scenes tell us nothing about the characters, reveal nothing about the story on any deeper level. That kind of thing is fine for something like Die Hard or Avengers, but Nolan and co. demonstrated they were capable of far greater things with DK, so it was a huge disappointment to see them fall back on such enormous contrivances this time.

Alfred's warning to Wayne about his physical limitations, his need to serve his own ego, and his need to serve Gotham beyond the use of his physical body provide context for Batman's first encounter with Bane. These ideas are further developed with Wayne's trials in the pit. They are then tossed completely out the window during their final confrontation and then literally blown to smithereens during its final scene. What a waste.

DecayingSinner
07-28-2012, 09:02 AM
I went to see it again last night and loved it even more this time. Bane and Catwoman's role were much more impressive the second time I watched it. The opening scene, just love. I don't think I'd want to see Bane complete a series of puzzles either. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are both great films for different reasons. Really am having a hard time deciding which one I like better, so I won't. They both are pretty equal.

21Faces
07-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Seriously? Can people drop the fucking puzzles thing? That's not what I'm talking about at all. DK is not superior to DKR because it had "puzzles" and DKR did not. It is superior because its external conflicts were driven by internal conflicts, so the film was able to move along both levels simulteously without wasting time on superficial expository nonsense. Before seeing the film I read somewhere that Bane had an "earthquake machine," obviously based on speculation of the film's promotional material. If Bane DID have an earthquake machine, or a freeze ray, or a vat of fear-inducing hallucinogenic chemicals, it would not have altered the story at all whatsoever. Because these are empty devices that are completely interchangeable with any other- so all the expository material needed to push these awkward elements along- conversations about auto-pilots, flood chambers, car convoys, fake car convoys, gadgets to block detonation transmissions, kidnapped scientists... these empty scenes tell us nothing about the characters, reveal nothing about the story on any deeper level. That kind of thing is fine for something like Die Hard or Avengers, but Nolan and co. demonstrated they were capable of far greater things with DK, so it was a huge disappointment to see them fall back on such enormous contrivances this time.

Alfred's warning to Wayne about his physical limitations, his need to serve his own ego, and his need to serve Gotham beyond the use of his physical body provide context for Batman's first encounter with Bane. These ideas are further developed with Wayne's trials in the pit. They are then tossed completely out the window during their final confrontation and then literally blown to smithereens during its final scene. What a waste.

So again. It's not about the fucking puzzles. That is not why DKR is inferior to DK. Fuck, people.

Manichaeist
07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
It is superior because its external conflicts were driven by internal conflicts

you kinda missed the whole thing about Bruce Wayne's psyche in this film, huh

21Faces
07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
you kinda missed the whole thing about Bruce Wayne's psyche in this film, huh
The only place where Wayne's internal conflicts were reflected on an external level was in the Pit- which I've already acknowledged was well done. In the second film there's a great deal of feedback between the internal and the external- what Wayne wants in his life, the burden of being Batman, his desire to believe in Harvey Dent so he can hang up the cowl and get with the girl, and the battle for Dent's soul between him and the joker play out both internally and externally- both levels of conflict inform one another.

In the 3rd film the disconnect between internal character progression and external conflict renders both levels of the story inert. Wayne must figure his shit out in the pit so he can... diffuse a bomb. That's it. Bane has no character- he's just a stand in for the nonsensical comic-book level ideology of the film's first villain. Same goes for Talia, and there isn't enough invested in her character throughout the first two acts to give her "reveal" at the 11th hour any real impact. At least Selina Kyle sort of got to see her personal ethos realized before her eyes so we could all discover (big fucking surprise here) oh hey, the jaded thief only in it for herself really has a heart of gold deep down!

C'mooon. Don't pretend all that is anything close to the level of what we saw in the 2nd movie. You can see little bits and pieces of things that betray an aspiration to greatness, but they just didn't come together this time.

Atom
07-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Okay, man. You like the second film more than this one. That's great and is an opinion you have the right to have. But I don't see why you're trying to convince others to share the same opinion as you.

I love both TDK and TDKR equally. They're a part of the same trilogy but they're also very different films. Each one has it's moments. This one is more about Batman/Bruce Wayne. Which I think we needed after TDK, where there was such a heavy focus on the Joker.

What I liked about this film was seeing the hero get beaten down (physically and mentally) to the point of being taken out of the game for a while. That first fight scene between Bane and Batman was done perfectly and is a highlight of the trilogy for me. That was fucking intense. I don't remember the last time I saw the "good" guy in a superhero movie get beaten down to that extreme. The part where Bane's punching in Batman's cowl was brutal. You see the heroes get beaten up but not completely destroyed like that, where they appear weak to the point that the villain is just fucking them up out of pure enjoyment.

It made it all the more enjoyable when Batman came back to finish off Bane the second time. Which I think was important for not just the film but the entire trilogy. Because in TDK I really didn't feel as connected to Batman. I didn't want him to win as badly or overcome his personal obstacles like I did during this film. That's not a diss on TDK either.

21Faces
07-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Okay, man. You like the second film more than this one. That's great and is an opinion you have the right to have. But I don't see why you're trying to convince others to share the same opinion as you.
Because I'm not just offering an opinion, I'm presenting an argument- specifically an argument about the weakness of the writing in this film (a fairly strong argument, imho) and one that nobody has yet to seriously counter. In all honesty I'd very much like to be convinced of this film's merits, because as I've said before I WANTED this to be better. It'd be very cool if someone (I don't know, maybe Haz?) could point something out to me I've missed. That there's more to the bomb, or some justification for the film's atrocious ending in the cafe. Anything.

Tater
07-29-2012, 09:29 PM
But but but...
all the movies had a time bomb
D:
http://wagthemovie.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/batman66bomb.gif

21Faces
07-29-2012, 09:34 PM
The first movie did not have a time bomb, it was a machine that vaporized water placed on a trian. So that's neither qualifies as a bomb or a timed device. The second movie did feature -two- bombs, but their employment was highly novel as that plot element goes. A far cry from what we see in the third film.

Thanks for playing, Brad. Try again sometime.

Tater
07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm totally Brad. Ultra winning \m/
Anyway,bombs are cool. Whatevz.

Manichaeist
07-30-2012, 11:29 AM
That there's more to the bomb, or some justification for the film's atrocious ending in the cafe. Anything.

your problem is that you're viewing the bomb as the essential element of the film and it's totally not

21Faces
07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Actually we almost agree here. My problem is that the bomb is not an essential element of the film, but that the bomb and the related material needed to justify the bomb's presence and progress the bomb element through the story comprise at least a quarter if not a third of the film's run time. And the bomb is a meaningless device. By extension, so are its related elements (which are a substantial)- regardless of whether or not they are entertaining. Meaningful justification is what separates great film from commercial entertainment where story elements are simply excuses to throw pretty girls, gunfights, and explosions in your face.

Hazekiah
08-01-2012, 08:44 PM
So I finally got home from my Amtrak trip up to Chicago to see The Dark Knight Rises at its IMAX premiere.

On ACID!!!

>:D

I also managed to procure some cocaine and marijuana and wine while waiting so it was a fucking DOOZY of a night, lol.

Or, morning rather, since it was actually the 3 a.m. screening on its opening day. Sure glad we had all those party favors!

Anyway, it was an amazing, amazing experience. My pals were pissed that I ditched them for a few minutes while they were getting their parking slip for the Navy Pier lot and, yeah, I was supposed to be holding their spot in line to pay, but we were last in line anyway and the sunrise after the movie was just GLORIOUS and I quickly found myself going on a little sightseeing trip instead.

I mean, the grand atrium of Navy Pier had GIANT ILLUMINATED NEON JELLYFISH HANGING FROM THE CEILING (http://aminus3.s3.amazonaws.com/image/g0024/u00023188/i01467398/1b1ee933dbb67dd416a124ded2879bdf_large.jpg), ffs!!!

O_O

And going up the atrium stairs to try and snap an eye-level shot of them I quickly discovered the doors to the Navy Pier Crystal Gardens (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS485US490&q=navy+pier+crystal+garden&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1006&bih=573&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=x-sZUP6XIoi_rQHS5oC4AQ) were unlocked and spent a few minutes just stumbling around inside its geometric infrastructure beneath flocks of indoors birds singing to me as the tropical condensation dripped down on my awestruck face.

Yeah, my pals were annoyed but FUCKING WIN. And I paid $20 for their parking so w/e.

:P

Anyway, I was inadvertently tuning out of the conversation in the car as we left and happened to overhear the radio at a low volume behind my head as it was reporting on the shooting in Aurora.

Not really having been able to hear it properly though I'd actually been under the mistaken impression during our post-movie diner breakfast that some kid had shot-up his school in the suburb of Chicago also called Aurora. While we were all hashing out our various impressions of the movie my mind kept returning to the garbled newsblurb I'd overheard and I kept entering into the conversation my prediction that given that it was a kid and that it happened on THAT day that it just HAD to be some Nolanite and/or Batgeek on a rampage while "celebrating" the day they'd been flooding and spamming and trolling the ENTIRE fucking internet about for YEARS.

It just seemed like the obvious, logical answer, sadly.

I even went so far as to joke that he'd probably been dressed up like Bane and how hilarious it must have been when he started issuing his demands/concerns/threats/etc. while everyone around him just looked around at each other like, "WTF did he just say? I can't understand a word through that stupid fucking mask," lol.

Imagine my utter shock when I finally found out it was a college kid at a midnight premiere of that very movie with a gas mask on his face.

Whoa.

Called it!

Maybe not quite so funny, though.

:-\

Anyway, like I said on fb, "If you've gotta die at a Batman movie HOLY FUCK this is the one."

LOVE THIS FUCKING MOVIE.

Saw it again immediately later that day after unloading a truck from the San Diego Comic Con and going STRAIGHT back to another theater to see it again. And then again. FUCK, YEAH.

I've seen it six times now with five friends and can't WAIT to go again.

Needless to say, I enjoyed it immensely.

Definitely weird to go back on opening day and then rush out before the show to try and discretely smoke a joint really quick only to discover the place was practically surrounded by cop cars, though. No problem there, mind you...just missed a couple previews walking a bit further down the street than usual.

But I was DEFINITELY extremely self-conscious of the fact that I was wearing my military O.D. pants with ammunition-pouches on my belt. Like I generally do, full of pocket change and rolling papers and stuff. I just thought it would be cool to wear my "utility belt" to the Batman movie but, um...yeah. Again, no worries though. Just really felt the cops' eyes burning holes through my back on my way in and out, lol.

What a strange, strange world.

Speaking of which, like I was saying at the start, I finally made my way home and got to check out the latest issue of "Rolling Stone" that arrived in the mail while I was away.

You know, the one with Justin Bieber on the cover.

Pleasantly surprised by its contents, however...

http://i.imgur.com/btl3w.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/3vgH1.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/0Bjju.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/LE3Fw.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/hpakP.jpg?1

Man, I fucking LOVE that picture at the top of the first page.

Too bad IT wasn't the cover shot of the issue, they probably would've sold TWICE as many copies, easily.

Ho-hum.

Great photographs, great articles, great review, OUTSTANDING fucking interview.

AWESOMENESS.

:)

FeedYourHead
08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
From this month's Rolling Stone.

http://i.imgur.com/Eb1M3.jpg

Manichaeist
08-08-2012, 09:58 PM
people still read Rolling Stone?

Hazekiah
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/T7UVu.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/4kGuY.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/WrD5S.jpg?1

I still read "Rolling Stone."

:P

Although I don't necessarily agree that an inflatable Obama punching bag is WORSE than Joker-boy Shooter-tard.

DEFINITELY dig Hathaway's catsuit, however.

And I LOVE the illustration of Batman the Billionaire.

But that article was a piece of shit.

This is coming from a fan of Taibbi's, mind you. I always look forward to his "Rolling Stone" articles and enjoy them a great deal, but he dropped the ball here. I think it's safe to say that whoever writes the "Rolling Stone" sports column and the magazine's financial exposés should probably STFU about comics and art.

I appreciated his attempt at an angle and all, but it just reminds me of the "Wall Street Journal" review of The Dark Knight that interpreted it as a vindication of Bush's wiretapping. The key difference being that BATMAN knew it was wrong, used it when he HAD to, and then DESTROYED the device and gave us BACK our privacy. How's BUSH feel about THAT?!?

Batman's exile isn't an "Atlas Shrugged-ian strike," he's willfully taken the fall for Dent's crimes to support the greater good, rather than to withhold his awesomeness from an undeserving populace in the John Galt tradition. He isn't "refusing to leave his mansion until we stop blaming him for all of our problems," he WANTS us to blame him. It was HIS idea, ffs. He doesn't "resent the very idea" that he's "one of us," he in fact believes in the goodness of people perhaps almost to a fault. And exactly how anti-99% can a guy be when he's basically dating a working girl who's made an entire career out of robbing the 1%?

I appreciate Taibbi's politics and journalism but reading this piece he sincerely comes across as just another troll with an ax to grind who never bothered to learn wtf he was talking about.

FAIL.

kalim123
08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I didn't think Anne Hathaway would be good as Catwoman, but I thought she was the best actor in the whole movie. Fantastic film. Perfecto!

Terrapin
08-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I love these so damn much:
If 'Dark Knight Rises' Was 10 Times Shorter and More Honest (http://www.cracked.com/article_20012_if-dark-knight-rises-was-10-times-shorter-more-honest.html)

21Faces
08-27-2012, 07:40 PM
^THAT.

DKR entertained me, but the more I read/think about it the more I relize how... not great it was : /

Manichaeist
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
well today was the last day for TDKR in true IMAX in NYC and I managed to squeeze in one final viewing bringing my total to 4.

I love this fucking movie

edit: turns out they actually extended the length of TDKR in IMAX so it'll keep on showing for a while longer...maybe I'll go again :-)

Joker
09-20-2012, 12:13 AM
I watched this movie for the third time on sunday - this time, on the Imax. I've never actually seen a movie on the Imax before (apart from one nature documentary about whales), and it was pretty incredible. So many people are hating on this film, but I dunno - I still really enjoyed it.

Also, consider this. Bane sounds like Sean Connery, doing an impression of Patrick Stewart, through a megaphone, while talking into a tin-can phone.

09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Bane sounded to me like Brian Badonde. Baaaaaaaaaaaa

adamchabbi6
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
I definitely never saw the ending coming. I will certainly buy it when its released on dvd.

Celebrity Killing Spree
09-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Saw it opening night and then again about a week later in IMAX.

I both love and LOL at this film at the same time. In that sense I think it succeeds as a popcorn film rather than crime drama a la The Dark Knight.

I'd compare the trilogy to Star Wars. The first was great, the second was the best and defining one and the third was "eh, pretty good" but could never have realistically met expectations.

It's a strange balance. There are enough plot holes, unrealistic turns of character and obvious drinking game moments that would make most movies completely forgettable. But at the same time there is enough charm and investment into the characters that you still buy into it and enjoy the ride.