PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development.

Golden Eel
08-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Any fans? I recently watched the series again on Netflix. It has to be one of the best TV shows that has existed. The humor is fucking amazing and the constant subtle, and not so subtle, callbacks to other episodes and attention to detail ties it all together. Basically every cast member is hilarious on their own, but the chemistry they have together is like nothing else. Discuss.

Hazekiah
08-27-2011, 12:10 AM
AMAZING fucking show.

I watched the first 6 episodes or so when they were new but lost track once I moved after that and didn't have ready access to a TV anymore.

I've had a couple opportunities to check it out since then but haven't followed up on it yet since it was immediately apparent that it's obviously worth watching all at once back-to-back-to-back-to-back all the way through in one sitting.

Still VERY happily looking forward to that glorious day.

:)

(Fingers crossed for the eventual movie, btw!)

Barbarella
08-31-2011, 01:33 AM
MMT, I love this show. I only got into it through re-runs which are on one of our channels at the moment. Very witty and great performances too.

MisanthroPope
02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Can't wait for the new episodes from Netflix next year. I'm worried the magic will be gone and their time has passed, though. I hope to be proven extremely wrong.

Mugwump
07-05-2012, 11:06 PM
I too caught this on Netflix. I watched it once or twice when it was on TV but couldn't really get into it, and, as Hazekiah said, it's really best to watch it like a marathon.

I just finished all of season 3 and am working on getting thru season 2 now.

Dope Box
07-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I LMFAO everytime this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9TXVMkQ29g

sayyosin
09-29-2012, 04:29 PM
I love this show. Thanks MMT.

[psycho]logical
10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/246443_10151082019148870_1292289814_n.jpg

Terrapin
10-04-2012, 08:59 AM
^Ha, sweet. If I had a banana suit and a Segway I'd do something as the infamous Mr. Banana Grabber. It's kind of a dream of mine.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbdh6m9cdq1rd10xoo1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbdh6m9cdq1rd10xoo2_1280.jpg

Everything There Is to Know about the New Season (http://splitsider.com/2012/10/arrested-developments-new-season-everything-there-is-to-know/)

[psycho]logical
10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I shouldn't have given up the animation rights.

Golden Eel
05-25-2013, 11:39 PM
T-minus twenty minutes.

MisanthroPope
05-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Glad to have the Bluths back in my life. My only complaint? Portia De Rossi's face. Her facial expressions aren't even the same. It's distracting and her new face just isn't as comically pleasing.

Terrapin
05-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Started this after getting home yesterday evening and finished it up today. I simply adored the new format of telling one huge story over nine separate character arcs while having that story open up more and more. It was a very creative way of shooting the season that led to some gut busting laughs at a rapid-fire pace.

Admittedly, I missed the full family dynamic that you only got a taste of in Lucille's penthouse, but you can tell they were working in the limitations of the actors' careers and that we were being built up to that movie they keep referencing throughout the season. If Hurwitz meant these "episodes" as the prologue to the upcoming movie, then they pulled it off in spades.

I'm already looking forward to going back and re-watching this - which is where Arrested Development really shines, after all.

iggy
05-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Don't like the show. Never have, never will. What I did like however was seeing Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu reprise their MST3K roles in this new season. :D

Crazy_Baby
05-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm kind of afraid to watch the new episodes in case I hate them...

slappyDUMMY
05-29-2013, 07:35 AM
avoiding any replies or posts in this thread until I'm all caught up! I just started watching it yesterday.. and I am now into Season 2. I love it.

kleiner352
05-31-2013, 12:18 PM
I've been loving the new season. Initially I planned to binge it with family and friends but we all agreed to ration them out so we didn't prematurely blow our load of episodes on what was supposed to be a new run.

So far, the re-cap for Gob has been my favorite episode. I'm holding out for a .gif of Tobias shouting, "Handcuff the king of the Jews!"

Terrapin
06-01-2013, 10:49 AM
So... Who do you guys think did it?

Colenol Mustard/Gene Parmesan?

He was in the knife shop in a chicken chef looking for something to "subdue an intruder."

He was working the donkey punch/juice stand at Cuatro de Cinco and everyone knows juice looks like blood.

I have no fucking clue.

MisanthroPope
06-01-2013, 08:36 PM

He was in the knife shop in a chicken chef looking for something to "subdue an intruder."

He was working the donkey punch/juice stand at Cuatro de Cinco and everyone knows juice looks like blood.

I haven't a clue and I don't think anyone would surprise me. Who really even knows what happened? I just hope we are blessed with the opportunity to find out. The talked about movie would be great but I would really like a fifth season and a film.

Not that I think she's dead but what about George M...aharis? Just a thought, but was there any importance to him telling Maeby he never met/didn't know Lucille #2? A little shady? Maeby not? Probably not. I didn't think it was weird at the time, just a joke that somehow throughout the series/his life he would have no idea who LooseSeal #2 is.

slappyDUMMY
06-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Man oh man I love this show. Just watched the whole series in the last few days on netflix. NO TOUCHING! NO TOUCHING! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LEJ6tZI7_k

slappyDUMMY
06-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Started this after getting home yesterday evening and finished it up today. I simply adored the new format of telling one huge story over nine separate character arcs while having that story open up more and more. It was a very creative way of shooting the season that led to some gut busting laughs at a rapid-fire pace.

Admittedly, I missed the full family dynamic that you only got a taste of in Lucille's penthouse, but you can tell they were working in the limitations of the actors' careers and that we were being built up to that movie they keep referencing throughout the season. If Hurwitz meant these "episodes" as the prologue to the upcoming movie, then they pulled it off in spades.

I'm already looking forward to going back and re-watching this - which is where Arrested Development really shines, after all.

I heard some negativity for this format, but I too enjoyed it. I loved how it all came together and pieces of it were featured in each show. It was really good.

Deadite
06-08-2013, 04:43 PM

I have no fucking clue.
There must be some clues. . .

^ I didn't even think of the donkey punch and the knife shop thing, that is a possibility. Two ideas that I have are that the anonymous gang is actually somehow the prison gang that Lucille fought with and they killed Lucille2 for some reason. Or my other idea was the ostrich. Ok those were not very good, but that's all I had! Ha,

I plan to start watching it again before the netflix month runs out.

loftvoker
06-08-2013, 05:25 PM
It was enjoyable, but I didn't feel like a few characters are on an equal enough level to carry entire episodes by themselves.

CellarOwl
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
The day S04 came out I noticed a good amount of people in my News Feed posting about how they were starting an AD marathon and so excited and then... nothing. Silence. Nobody said it was good, or bad, or had anything to say about the show after that which usually isn't a good sign. And really, it's okay, but just okay. It's like running into a family member you haven't talked to in years--like yeah, they're family, but neither of you are the same anymore and it's not happy or sad, it's just kind of... there.

Homeostasis
06-12-2013, 06:43 PM
I couldn't help but notice this thread a couple of weeks ago. Then tonight, I noticed Fox UK playing a double bill of the show. So I watched it, and I can't say I'm any the wiser for it. The two episodes I watched had something about a Liza Minnelli cameo... and not much else I can remember. It's like something Larry David would be involved with... only Larry David isn't involved with it. It's Seinfeld-type one-liners, spread-out to a Curb Your Enthuasism-type plotline. It just doesn't work on any level. I don't get the joke...

loftvoker
06-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I couldn't help but notice this thread a couple of weeks ago. Then tonight, I noticed Fox UK playing a double bill of the show. So I watched it, and I can't say I'm any the wiser for it. The two episodes I watched had something about a Liza Minnelli cameo... and not much else I can remember. It's like something Larry David would be involved with... only Larry David isn't involved with it. It's Seinfeld-type one-liners, spread-out to a Curb Your Enthuasism-type plotline. It just doesn't work on any level. I don't get the joke...

Liza is a recurring character on the show - it's not a cameo. Also, you should start with the first season. Larry David's writing is quite different from this show - perhaps you're not familiar with the 8 or so seasons of Curb and Seinfeld.

Crazy_Baby
06-15-2013, 02:14 PM

There's no point jumping in somewhere in the middle and watching only two episodes, it's not one of those type of shows. I would recommend watching it from the start and giving it a fair chance. Due to its format in my opinion it might take you a few episodes to get into the swing of it but the payoff is more than worth it, this show is fucking hilarious.

MisanthroPope
06-15-2013, 10:15 PM
There's no point jumping in somewhere in the middle and watching only two episodes, it's not one of those type of shows. I would recommend watching it from the start and giving it a fair chance. Due to its format in my opinion it might take you a few episodes to get into the swing of it but the payoff is more than worth it, this show is fucking hilarious.

Exactly. AD is not the kind of show you can casually catch an episode or two of and be able to fully appreciate its brilliance.

Mugwump
06-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Ugh.

kleiner352
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
AD is absolutely a binge-watch style series, and it's fantastic. There are jokes you won't get until reviewings, sometimes multiple viewings; there are tons of subtle in-jokes and references and plotlines that get foreshadowed and dropped and implied constantly.

What makes it so great, though, is the cast. They all manage to have that comedic chemistry that is so vitally needed for comedy, let alone such an ensemble cast. And they all play so well together that it's like they all just decided to hang out and have fun.

It's a fantastic show; don't let a couple of off-experiences keep you from giving it another shot! If it isn't your thing, that's fine, but give it a shot the way it's typically enjoyed.

Freeston3r
01-08-2015, 10:37 AM
It's such a good show. Half way through season 2 on Netflix!

FeedYourHead
02-04-2015, 06:20 PM
I was just telling MMT the other day how I think Gob might be my favorite fictional character ever of all time.