PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book Cover for Extended Project.

adamchabbi6
09-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Nothing to see here folks.

Joker
09-17-2011, 04:36 AM
Now Adam, I know you don't like me much, but I think everyone here's fannying around with who's actually going to post first and tell you just how catastrophically poor this is. I mean, I think we appreciate the amount of work that's gone into it, but I think that 'constructive criticism' on how to improve could actually fill a pretty hefty book.

Firstly, you need to consider the comic book conventions on which comic books are based. Firstly, your hero is actually called "X-Ray Hero" - think of how many comic book heroes exist in the world, and how they are named. Even "X-Ray Man" would be following some sort of logical convention, but "X-Ray Hero" is not a name, it's a description. By this logic, we'd all be reading comics about "Magnetic Villain", "Bat-Obsessed Rich Hero" and "Healing With Claws Hero" - and nobody would buy these comics, because they don't draw you in. They, quite frankly, sound shit. Doctor Flame's a little better - apart from the fact that there is nothing to suggest that this character is a doctor of any kind, judging from their appearance.

This brings me to my second point - the artwork itself. The cover quite clearly depicts two students making angry faces, with a couple iPhone-esque filters over the top. It just doesn't look like a superhero story. Costumes, action, colour, intense vistas - none of which makes the traditional comic book what it is present within your artwork. Now, I'm the last person to criticize your Photoshop skills, because I have sod all in the way of Photoshop knowledge myself - so I won't - but you might need to rethink the artistic direction you're employing here.

Lastly, the text just looks crude - large boxes of colour with vapid and uninspiring passages that are completely devoid of any punchy, comic-book style humour, charisma, or in fact *anything* at all that would attract a prospective reader. Also, the grammar used is just appalling - full caps followed by three exclamation marks is never, ever necessary. Furthermore, the font appears to be entirely out of place - it's all over pictures, it's shoved into the aforementioned primary coloured boxes, and is squished and distorted so many times that it's pretty difficult to read, as well as being pretty damn ugly.

So look mate - here's the bottom line. Your teacher is quite possibly blind, mentally retarded, and/or has never seen a comic book in their life before. Your heart's in the right place, but if you're looking to create comic book covers - this - this just really isn't it. I concede that yes, this is the first time you've tried, and it's a valiant first effort, but I think you probably need to do a Hell of a lot more research before you make another one. For the sake of comic books, and art, as well as your own sake.

adamchabbi6
09-17-2011, 07:14 AM
So, why did I get an A*?

I don't need a newspaper article on your useless perspectives regarding my work and if you think it's so "catastrophically poor" then why don't you become the examiner instead???

Good luck in your studies.

Emma
09-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Adam if you aren't able to take criticism - DON'T have a fit when someone gives it. Joker and you may not be friends but he makes some fair points and to be fair even I would wonder why you got an A* - and that's less a reflection on your work and more of a reflection on your teachers grading abilities. You need a lot more work before this would be considered a final project. I work in print and online media and this would not pass my boss for commercial release.

The use of colors is at best messy, you need to do more work on blending and I suggest learning about how colour works in print and online. Your typography use is not great - the best advice I can give is properly look at the way comic covers are laid out and presented. The use of filters and effects is overdone and put simply is a poor choice - you should look more at design sites and publisher sites to research trends in design, typography and layout styles.

I applaud you for putting your work up but Adam you did not read what is very good constructive criticism from Joker - maybe this a product of whatever private spat you two have that led you to not read what he said and dismiss it without digesting.

adamchabbi6
09-17-2011, 07:53 AM
I don't think there was anything wrong with the efforts I attempted to put. Keep in mind, it was only for school work.

Emma
09-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Adam, you may not think so but you put this up and it's going to receive comments. It may only be for school but if you are doing a course and wish to take it further to a career, I suggest you listen when advice is given. Of course you are within your right to ignore, but this is the nature of public forums - and again, I work in print and online media and have several book covers in print, as well as work for leading companies such as Lloyds, MG and others - and as such impart my advice, which is almost ten years in the making - so this may just be for school but if you wish to learn, it helps if you really listen. I've had my work critiqued and I've not got butthurt, I've learnt - regardless if the person giving it is someone I like or not - if the advise is worth listening, it's worth taking on board.

adamchabbi6
09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Alright, fine. I'm not against you but people like Joe who is always a complete dick to me starting from before due to his constant sarcasm. So when a time for me comes along where I'm actually happy (which is not very often) about my A level results and someone shits on it, it does hurt.

I achieved C's for Photography and the Creative Media Diploma where it was all coursework based. I don't intend on taking the comic book project as a further career and I only decided to do this work for my Extended Project because I really like comic book superheroes.

Not that it's anyone else's business but I'm intending to do a Photography course. However, something is making me reluctant at the moment and I get the feeling that I should have taken a Media or Film Studies course instead. I can sort that out later at the university I'm sure.

Norsefire
09-17-2011, 09:14 AM
I will post the my designs below and feel free to share your views:

Adam all the users have done in this thread is shared their views on your work.

It's great that you got an A* because at the end that will help you to get on to other courses at university. But most of what is said in this thread is valid, they're not trying to put you down or "shit" on your grades.

Having spent 5 years studying Graphic Design, you probably wouldn't want to hear what I have to say, but all I will say is I think it's obvious your course teachers don't have a clue about design. Which might be where the fault lies because if they can't teach you anything to design a comic cover how would you know how to really do it? Opening up Photoshop and playing around with filters and fonts isn't the best way to do it, at least not with out all the other work that goes into designing something.

Cringeon
09-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I liked the barcode.

Hazekiah
09-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Now Adam, I know you don't like me much, but I think everyone here's fannying around with who's actually going to post first and tell you just how catastrophically poor this is.

Haha! 100% tr00.

Also, the grammar used is just appalling - full caps followed by three exclamation marks is never, ever necessary.

I'd disagree here, though. To whit...

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!!!

HULK SMASH!!!

Those two prominent examples leap to mind immediately, for instance.

I picked up a LOT of my writing style through the natural osmotic process of simply growing up reading comics my entire life, and my frequent use of caps and/or multiple, successive closing punctuation marks is a direct product of that. Frankly, seeing the use of the triple-exclamation points was just about the ONLY thing that actually rang true about the OP's comic cover effort.

But I also collect all my old concert and hospital bracelets, so I actually thought, um, X-Ray Hero's hospital bracelet was a nice touch, for what it's worth.

ZOMFG!!!

DID DR. FLAME ACCIDENTALLY CREATE HIS OWN ARCH-NEMESIS BY OVER-EXPOSING HIM TO X-RAYS AT THE HOSPITAL?!?

O_O

MIND = BLOWN.

But, yeah.

The cover's just godawful otherwise and someone really needs to present this project and the grade you got for it to the school administrators the next time your teacher's up for review. Seriously. WTF.

:-\

Not Mechanical
09-18-2011, 02:33 PM
There's some pretty sound advice in this thread, hard to add much more, but I'll give some of my ideas.

I would like to see this with less filters on the pictures, and a bit more thought put into the text placement and colour. Using less fonts and text colours throughout might tie it together a little more and make it easier to read. I particularly found the green text that starts 'This Special Comic Book Issue will enable,' quite difficult to read. I guess the filters on the pictures is supposed to make them look like comic illustrations, and I appreciate the effort, and in the context of a school project it works, but if you were doing a similar project again, I'd say it would be best to either use an actual illustration, or just use more natural looking photographs, to make things a little easier on the eye.
I also just noticed the price is different on the front and back.

Just my two cents. Good to see more people posting their work in this section, keep it up.

adamchabbi6
09-18-2011, 03:09 PM
There's some pretty sound advice in this thread, hard to add much more, but I'll give some of my ideas.

I would like to see this with less filters on the pictures, and a bit more thought put into the text placement and colour. Using less fonts and text colours throughout might tie it together a little more and make it easier to read. I guess the filters on the pictures is supposed to make them look like comic illustrations, and I appreciate that effort, and in the context of a school project it works, but if you were doing a similar project again, I'd say it would be best to either use an actual illustration, or just use more natural looking photographs, to make things a little easier on the eye.

Just my two cents. Good to see more people posting their work in this section, keep it up.

Thanks for the advice. At least you gave a critic on my work POLITELY unlike some people.........

I agree that it needed some more improvements but I was limited by a certain deadline to get it completed and I wouldn't intend on doing it again for the future but I chose to do it as my own independent project.

The Extended Project was a project where students who took my Diploma course had to select a particular topic of their choice to focus on and carry out plenty of research then produce an artefact to answer the project's question, (which I already explained before). I believe that the reason why I achieved my A* is not particularly for my final designs but for the strong amount of research I carried out using the internet, a book, speaking to comic fans and contacting a comic book artist for ideas.

Shangri-LIE
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM
You're art is better than mine. lol. But you've just gotta listen to others who speak their minds, and who have experience in the design field. Just knuckle down and keep working on it. Take Care

ThreeEyedGod
09-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Really, I think it's the typography that is ruining everything, dude.