PDA

View Full Version : The Weight of Chains

Lucille
12-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I recently watched this documentary film about the breakup of Yugoslavia/the Balkans. I myself was born in Yugoslavia, in Sarajevo. I grew up in the civil war in Bosnia and refugee'd to Canada with my family at the end of 1996, after much of it had already gone down. This documentary is so honest and so real in covering everything that happened from every angle, that I cried. I briefly knew about some of the things it talks about but never understood the whole thing as clearly as this film explains it. It filled me for the first time ever with this sense of mournful patriotism, and while I consider myself proudly Canadian, and Canada my home, this film hit a raw nerve deep down in me that I never knew was there. A pain that was buried deep inside a long time ago and never dealt with. It shows so much that most people in America and the rest of the world don't know or are misinformed about by all the propaganda dealing with the villainization of Serbian people. It shows how capitalism, the European Union, and the U.S. government worked to effectively and systematically destroy the Balkans.

I highly recommend and urge all of you to watch it, not only for knowledge of this borderline-secret reality, but to witness how politics can be used to manipulate, destroy, and split apart a country and its people. These are connections that can easily be made to the current political state of the United States and other parts of the world.

Full film: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BYUBLTUC&w=631&h=392 (Available for streaming and download)