PDA

View Full Version : The Grey

Hazekiah
02-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Anyone else here catch this?

I'd definitely recommend it, although the trailers and teasers kinda shit the bed a bit (anyone who HAS seen it should understand what I mean there).

It was a surprisingly tight and sharp, personal little movie.I know a lot of people like to rag on that sort of thing these days, but I think it's great. I don't know...I guess I just really love a well told story in the classic, '80s-lo-budget vein:

"Here's your people, here's your tools, here's your problem...now GO!"

And I think I even noticed a nod to the Alien films in this movie!

There's one guy in the group who's wearing a baseball cap with "W Y" in a rectangle on the front. Maybe it means something else I just don't know, and it doesn't QUITE seem to fit the appropriate logo/font...but I still just couldn't HELP but think of Weylan(d)-Yutani a.k.a. "The Company" every time I saw it.

Plus, it's basically the same damned movie as Alien.

A bunch of corporate grunts get stuck in the wilderness with a ravenous beast that hunts and kills them one-by-one.Just a thought.

Anyway, curious to hear what everyone else thought about it and wanted to give it some good word-of-mouth since it TOTALLY deserves it and it's still in theaters.

Oh, and one more thing...STAY FOR THE CREDITS.

;)

thedarkhorse
02-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I read in the news that PETA got their knickers in a twist about the actors eating a wolf stew.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096622/Call-boycott-Liam-Neeson-admits-ate-wolf-stew-prepare-latest-role.html
I am curious to see it now.

Hazekiah
02-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, while well-intentioned, I think all that shit's a bit silly.

They used a couple wolf carcasses in the actual film, too (although they're primarily real, animatronic, motionless mock-ups, and CGI instead).

But none of these animals were killed FOR the film.

They were just already dead anyway as part of the legal and normal hunting/trapping industry in the area, so they put the carcasses to use rather than simply leaving them to rot or get sold off to any number of OTHER purchasers.

Seems sensible enough.

:-\

Mi-CroMartie
02-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Finally saw this in theaters. Fucking stupid movie projection guy cut out the final scene after the end credits when Liam and the wolf were having a fucking bad-ass faceoff then screen goes black. I wanna see if he lived or died... Dammit. I refuse to read the spoilers again on that one..

Other than that, intense survival movie... Kinda reminded me of Alive and The Descent.

Hazekiah
02-10-2012, 03:47 AM
FOR FUCK'S SAKE, you just posted a MASSIVE spoiler, please edit that out or use the spoiler tags!!!

>:(

That wasn't an accident, aside from a brief scene at the end of the credits that's how the movie ends.

I'd love to discuss it further WITH SPOILER TAGS, but HOLY SHIT please get rid of that first, a.s.a.p.

:-\

Mi-CroMartie
02-10-2012, 04:20 AM
There, it's done..

The scene where Diaz the latino cuts off the wolf's head really pissed PETA's panties in a bunch. ALmost like Cannibal Holocaust style.

I almost cried at the scene where Liam looked at each dead man's wallet filled with pics of their babies and wives.

Fucking tears me up. :*((

Hazekiah
02-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Thanks...and sorry, btw. Sounded like a genuine accident and it's completely understandable.

I just realized I had to add spoiler tags to my own post, lol.

And, yeah, PETA and the like are all up in arms about this movie demonizing wolves and potentially triggering lynch mobs of retards to go out slaughtering wolves in retaliation or whatever.

It's just silly, though. I'm sympathetic to their cause and the plight of nature, but serious as the movie is, it's still just a movie.

Anyone who's moronic enough to go on a kill-crazy rampage against wolves because of it is probably also retarded enough to die in a hunting accident...so it's all good, lol.

Agreed about the photos, too. You don't really get to know too much about any of the characters considering how much time we spend with them, but still just enough to get the FULL-FORCE of the tragedy and sadness there and IT IS BRUTAL.

:'(

Back to your concerns about the ending, though:

I thought that was really well handled.

So cool the way so many different elements of the plot all came together and had their big payoffs practically SIMULTANEOUSLY, that was just a masterful touch!

"Oh, crap, it's their den! Oh, crap, she's dead! Oh, crap, he's giving up! Oh, crap, the POEM! Oh, crap, wait, he's NOT giving up! Oh, crap, I get it ALL now! Aww, SHIT, THE ALPHA, it is ON! GAH!!! IT'S OVER!!!!"

All in about, what...the last TWO MINUTES of a two hour movie???

Daaaaaaamn.

Pretty fucking intense!

HOWEVER!

I don't think it would have necessarily been a detriment to the point of the movie for it to have met its wider audience in the middle a little more than it did.

The way it was advertised just sets the movie's ending up for SO MUCH hatred that I think it would have been smart to at least let us hear some more of the struggle while the credits rolled over a black screen, possibly with brief glimpses of bloody teeth gnashing away and stuff like that, too...or, hell, even a brutal-ass ALL OUT BRAWL like the trailers suggested STILL wouldn't have wrecked the intellectual and emotional heft of the scenes before it if handled properly.

I think the less superficial moviegoing crowd would have been fine with an over-the-top HOLY SHIT ending like that given all the quiet, melancholy genius leading up to it still being present and the focus of the movie, but anyone who went into the theater based on the trailers, probably the vast majority of the audience, is really getting swindled. And HELL, YES what they got is 1,000x better and more interesting than what they wanted, but still. Being the primary market and focus of the ENTIRE ad campaign as well as considering the fact that crowds looking for that sort of thing are generally going to be a LOT less forgiving when they find out what they got than the cinephile crowd would be I really think it would've behooved them to throw the MAN vs. WOLF crowd a bit more of a bone to chew on with that extended ending, so to speak.

;)

But OH, WELL...we got what we got and I'm more than happy with that.

Still, I'll DEFINITELY be checking out the deleted alternate ending footage of the wolf fight in the bonus features as soon as I possibly can.

>:)

I don't really think Ottway's fate is really in question one way or the other, though.

The whole movie's pretty much headed towards the one, specific outcome suggested at the end of the movie and the end of the credits anyway. So I think it works great as is and is pretty clear.

Glad you liked it overall, though!

AMAZING movie.

Mi-CroMartie
02-10-2012, 05:20 AM
I read on wiki spoilers that After the end credits rolled up, the final cut was shot in upclose view of Liam's Head still laying over the alpha wolf.. It didn't say whether they both are breathing faintly or already dead together.

Some IMDB comment said it best: BOTH of them were leaders of their own packs and they lived AND DIED on that day. Hence the poem recited by him in his childhood flashback with his dead dad.

Hazekiah
02-10-2012, 05:27 AM
^ EXACTLY.

And, lol, for a second there I thought you actually quoted me-from-IMDb to me-on-the-P.Mod.!

But then I realized the wording was just a little different.

Haha, small world.

:)

Mi-CroMartie
02-11-2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVGvnAHHTM

Found this... Haha. Only lasted 5 secs. :p

Hazekiah
02-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Thanks, I know a BUNCH of people who didn't stay till the end of the credits and now I can hook 'em up!

:)

21Faces
02-18-2012, 11:57 AM
I read something about an Oscar season re-run for late 2012. It'd be a good change of pace for the Academy, subject wise. Enough of this white people meandering through middle aged crises Alexander Payne bullshit.

The only thing I didn't really like was that brief revelatory shot they threw in at the end re: his wife. It's like "Ohhhhh, you SEE now, don't you audience? DON'T YOU!?" that was made even worse by an little accompanying flourish in the score. And it's like "No, thanks. I do not need to see, I was able to infer- and the details don't matter, anyway. Please don't beat me in the face with that, lol."

But that's a small gripe, overall it was a really sold pic. The CG wolves weren't overdone, and they weren't heavy-handed with the shepherd allusions, so that was also cool.

ThreeEyedGod
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
so is this a good movie or what? The trailer really caught my interest.

S.Hal0mega.B
03-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Beautiful film, i loved the ending. Reminded me of old films. xxxx stars and a half but if i see it again... plus x

Golden Eel
03-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I watched this movie last night and it was fucking awesome. That is all.

Hazekiah
04-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Glad to hear you guys liked it so much!!!

I read something about an Oscar season re-run for late 2012. It'd be a good change of pace for the Academy, subject wise. Enough of this white people meandering through middle aged crises Alexander Payne bullshit.

The only thing I didn't really like was that brief revelatory shot they threw in at the end re: his wife. It's like "Ohhhhh, you SEE now, don't you audience? DON'T YOU!?" that was made even worse by an little accompanying flourish in the score. And it's like "No, thanks. I do not need to see, I was able to infer- and the details don't matter, anyway. Please don't beat me in the face with that, lol."

But that's a small gripe, overall it was a really sold pic. The CG wolves weren't overdone, and they weren't heavy-handed with the shepherd allusions, so that was also cool.

I like that although the wallets were arranged in the shape of a cross, yet you really had to pay close attention to even notice it. I generally don't care for that sort of thing obviously, but it was at least extremely understated in this case.

But I actually thought the multiple-simultaneous-climaxes were handled really well, though. It can be pretty tricky to wrap up THAT many different throughlines all at once and it seemed to be pulled off elegantly enough. Plus,it's the sort of movie the vast majority of viewers will likely only see once and would therefore have a hard time picking up on and figuring out subtler details like that, so I think it was good to throw 'em a bone and tie it up with a neat little bow considering they didn't get "that one scene."

Speaking of which...

http://s0.dvdsreleasedates.com/posters/110/T/The-Grey-2012.jpg (http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/5236/The-Grey-2012.html)
The Grey
DVD (upc: 025192131745) http://s0.dvdsreleasedates.com/images/cleardot.gif
Is available for pre-order (http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/5236/The-Grey-2012.html).
Release date is set for Tuesday May 15, 2012

http://s0.dvdsreleasedates.com/posters/110/T/The-Grey-2012.jpg (http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/5236/The-Grey-2012.html)
The Grey (Two-Disc Combo Pack: Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
Blu-ray (upc: 025192148606) http://s0.dvdsreleasedates.com/images/cleardot.gif
Is available for pre-order (http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/5236/The-Grey-2012.html).
Release date is set for Tuesday May 15, 2012

^ Soooo excited for this home media release. Can't WAIT to see all the extra goodies!

ThreeEyedGod
04-03-2012, 10:54 AM
This is one of the better movies to have come out recently. The tone of this movie is pretty gripping.

Nuclear Baby
04-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Wow, am I the only one who though this was just terrible?

Mi-CroMartie
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Yes, you're alone...

SatanBakesale
04-19-2012, 10:10 PM

No you are not. I fucking hated it.