PDA

View Full Version : The Coen Brothers.

Golden Eel
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I fucking love The Big Lebowski, it's probably my favorite movie. True Grit, Burn After Reading, and No Country For Old Men were all also pretty rad.

I recently watched O Brother, Where Art Though and Raising Arizona and those were both pretty shitty. What do you guys think of them?

S.D.
02-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Miller's Crossing for me, it's a beautiful film. I'm very much interested in neo-classic interpretations of the American gangster and Noir eras, and it's a fantastic example. I especially enjoy that it's not your generic Italian American gang story. Whilst that side of things has been treated very well in cinema, the Irish mobster is a lesser-known figure. It has all the usual Coen Brothers dark humour, but with that expert blending of stark visual violence and character-based pathos that they're adept at.
I'm also fond of Albert Finney - who as an aside often reminds me of my late grandfather physically, especially in Big Fish - and Gabriel Byrne, who work well off each other in the film. I think the fact that Tom is inherently flawed as an alcoholic is important as well, the gangster story should remind us that whether we resonate or empathise with the characters, they are still by nature, 'bad guys'. He's a redemption story, but still part of the criminal underworld.

http://images.yume.vn/blog/201105/04/1304525893_7.jpg

It's a really nice, subtle piece of work that I'd recommend to anyone who's not seen it. Oh, and there's a slippery cameo from Steve Buscemi, for any fans of his.