This'll hurt you worse than me.
I'm weak, seven days, I'm weak.
Don't run from me. I won't
Bother counting one, two, three...

I don't know which me that I love.
Got no reflection.
Got no reflection.

You don't even want to know what I'm gonna do to you.

Got no reflection.
Got no reflection.

No Reflection.
No Reflection.

I've got no reflection.

Anyone wanna help out with the ones I couldn't catch/got wrong?

Aint
03-07-2012, 06:13 PM
It's "this'll hurt you worse than me."

Golden Eel
03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
It's "this'll hurt you worse than me."

You're right. Edited in.

agirlcalledcoma
03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't know which me that I love*

Cringeon
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Little things

Or just STREETS with rusty SIGNS OF something violent coming.

I don't know which me THAT I love.

A gun's cliche, and A razor too

EDIT 2, had to correct the main line.

Golden Eel
03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm with you guys so far. All of your suggestions have been edited in.

me_andre
03-07-2012, 06:32 PM
"Don't run from me"

Shangri-LIE
03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Am I deaf or dead is this constricting? ...streets with rusty signs of something violent coming. This will hurt you worse than me, ...I'm weak. Don't look for me, I won't bother counting 1.2.3.

Golden Eel
03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
"Don't run from me"

In place of what?

Shangri-LIE
03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
double post ban but yeah, it is "I don't know which me that I love. Got No Reflection"

me_andre
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
In place of what?

Don't root for me

Golden Eel
03-07-2012, 06:38 PM
double post ban but yeah, it is "I don't know which me that I love. Got No Reflection"

That's what it already is...

Check it again, maybe you didn't refresh after I edited.

Golden Eel
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Don't root for me

Yeah, what you said sounds better. Editing.

FeedYourHead
03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
These lyrics sound very nightmare before christmas-esque

me_andre
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
After I startet looking at it as a suicide anthem it got byond awesome in many contexts. Corrupting the youth, de luxe.

Aint
03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Someone suggested that the lyrics are "I'm weak seven days a week." That makes more sense, but it really sounds like "I'm weak, seven days, I'm weak."

What do you guys think?

21Faces
03-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I kind of liked the idea of it being "root for me" if it's possibly a math joke? 123? As in roots? I don't know math, so I was just wondering. Thoughts?

Golden Eel
03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Someone suggested that the lyrics are "I'm weak seven days a week." That makes more sense, but it really sounds like "I'm weak, seven days, I'm weak."

What do you guys think?

I think that makes more sense, but he's clearly saying 'I'm weak'. But it's pretty obviously an MM play on words.

I kind of liked the idea of it being "root for me" if it's possibly a math joke? 123? As in roots? I don't know math, so I was just wondering. Thoughts?

I prefer that too, but it really sounds more like 'run from me'.

pad18
03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
the "noose" lyrics reminds me of Ian Curtis from Joy Division which he said inspired the new album

SpaceGhost
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I have no idea how you guys made out any of these, I listened to it like three times and was only sure on "You don't even want to know what I'm going to do to you."

Shangri-LIE
03-07-2012, 10:21 PM
"We're all drunks" - Born Villain

Golden Eel
03-07-2012, 10:21 PM
I listened to it like three times

Well there's your problem. Try another 20 or 30.

Shangri-LIE
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Born Villain = Killing drunk fun while pretending to be drunk fun. 1 2 3

SpaceGhost
03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Well there's your problem. Try another 20 or 30.

No no, three times before looking up the lyrics. Total, probably, I don't know, at least a dozen. :)

Dronepool
03-07-2012, 11:21 PM
I heard it a little over 40 times and the lyrics sound spot on.

brian219
03-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Assuming that the lyrics are correct, and I agree with Dronepool that they're spot on, there are at least two elements in common with Overneath (The Path of Misery). First, the major theme seems to be an allusion to Narcissus falling in love with his reflection. This would be the second Greek mythology reference in only two songs (the other being the Rape of Persephone). Also, and this is a bit more of a stretch, "of something violent coming" seems to be a paraphrase of "something wicked this way comes" from Macbeth.

EDIT: Is it possible he's saying "I'm awake seven days a week?" It definitely sounds like what's been posted, but I'm having trouble buying that that's what he's actually saying.

Tigger
03-08-2012, 01:35 AM
^ I actually thought of "something wicked this way comes" when I first heard it as well, plus Manson did say it was inspired by Macbeth so can't be a coincidence.

brian219
03-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Plus, the preceding line is "By the pricking of my thumbs," ala "prick your finger it is done."

"I don't know which me..." makes me think of the Hydra, unsure of which head to admire in the water.

S.D.
03-08-2012, 05:42 AM
First, the major theme seems to be an allusion to Narcissus falling in love with his reflection.A valid reading, there's shades of Dorian Gray as well (yes, I went there with that pun). In Isolation (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/3487-Isolation?p=94689&viewfull=1#post94689) recently, I posed the notion of Manson's reflection during The High End Of Low, it's clearly become a burgeoning theme since The Golden Age Of Grotesque, throughout all following albums:-

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/TGAOG_Promotional_54.jpg

"I'm a diamond that is tired, of all the faces I've acquired. We must secure the shadow ere, the substance fades."

http://www.providermodule.com/discography/images/disc_mainth_emdm.jpg

"No shadows, no reflections here."

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_52.jpg http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_51.jpg

"Why is my wound a front door to you? Am I my own shadow?"

As a slight aside, if the lyric is indeed "I'm weak seven days a week", then that seems to allude to Manson's 'modern art' piece, We(a)k One, seen in The High End Of Low booklet:-

[There] is an A3 scrap of paper on which 14 empty cocaine bags are taped."That's my modern art piece, entitled We(a)k One," he sniggers."That was the first week of making the record. Either we had really poor cocaine or we did a lot."MM · 2009 [Kerrang! Magazine (http://www.providermodule.com/media/?v=i/2009/kerrang_homealone)]

Also, "You don't even want to know what I'm gonna do to you" is reminiscent of Leave A Scar's lyrical thematic, and things like "I am worse than what you think you'd catch from me" during WOW. It's also very close to "There's not a word for what I want to do to you" during You And Me And The Devil Makes 3, which may in itself lead to "I won't bother counting 1, 2 ,3"?

It's a little like Manson's taking all of the self-deprecation from the last three albums and fashioning them into outward vitriol. That's especially true when you consider "A gun's cliche and a razor too" in relation to "I'm more like a silver bullet than I'm like a gun" and the recurrent razor blade image during The High End Of Low. Interestingly, that album debuted with Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon, and Manson posed on the cover as the "hangman":-

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_07.jpg

The lyric "teach myself how to make a noose" reminds me of "If the world had one neck my hands would be the 'where' and I would choke all of you down", and "It's on the news or is it the noose" during the aforementioned Arma...Geddon, perhaps implying Manson's teaching himself how to 'make the news'? That's a stretch, but you know, all roads worth walking down and that.

VCR
03-08-2012, 06:22 AM
The lyric "teach myself how to make a noose" ...., perhaps implying Manson's teaching himself how to 'make the news'? That's a stretch, but you know, all roads worth walking down and that.

I thought it said "Show myself how to make the news" on first listen, and then totally dissing himself on the next verse. Glad there is some relation to news with the lyrics. Personally, I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down. Take from that what you want.

Heather Quick
03-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the transcription! I thought it was "I'm weak seven days a week" as well, but it does sound "I'm weak" when he sings. And I like the Narcissus parallel. Probably that's why Manson says in that interview with Smallzy that the video will have a girl drowning in a toilet.

Also, what's the meaning of deathshare?

S.D.
03-08-2012, 06:51 AM
I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down. Take from that what you want.

Fantastic reading! That correlates directly with "Should I fuck myself down?" during Overneath The Path Of Misery.

I keep referring back to the Isolation analysis topic because there does seem to be this consistent theme emerging of Manson 'versus' everyone else, which is where I believe the 'Hey, Cruel World' tagline comes from. If it's the opposite of a suicide declaration - "Goodbye cruel world" - then Manson's sarcastically mocking defeat. It's all about the classic Manson dichotomy; 'Suicide Rock' implies a rock and roll celebration of something depressing.

I remember in another Kerrang! interview, perhaps around 2001-02, when asked something about the more 'real' implications of terror suspects usurping his position as a threat to America, he said something like "I'm more of a long-term threat, like pancreatic cancer".
Typical Manson hyperbole, but I think that's where the direction for Born Villain heads. All the songs or snippets we've heard are very attitude-driven, it's not about self-reflection, which is quite literally why he has "No reflection".

Welcome to Provider Module also, VCR!

What's the meaning of deathshare?

I'd say it's a reference to Timeshare holidays, hence "Deathshare vacation". Timeshare is that thing they do in the states where a company rents a luxury holiday home out to a collective party, and each member of the party is allowed to use it for installment periods per year. So it's like having a luxury property, but you don't have sole ownership or monopoly of it.

Perhaps Manson's referencing phrases such as "You'll understand when I'm dead", or "Each thing I show you is a piece of my death". It's also very similar to other occasions when he's aligned himself or others with 'Holy Days'; "I'm just like a holiday because I make everyone in the family cry", or "You're like a birthday".

VCR
03-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome S.D.

You are always good with Manson analysis so I am glad my perception of the song is agreeable. I hope with the other tracks Manson stays off the relationship reference train. THEOL was nice, but this is better.

Golden Eel
03-08-2012, 07:18 AM
I noticed my lyrics are transcribed character for character on Revolver's site. (http://www.revolvermag.com/news/marilyn-manson-premieres-new-song-no-reflection.html)

I've finally made it!

Norsefire
03-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Fantastic post S.D., and I also agree with the Weak One art piece, when I heard it I thought of that too.

Here's something else that Marilyn Manson posted on Facebook back in 2010...

There is something coming, that is gonna hurt you more than it hurts me. More than simply an album.
10 May 2010 at 11:15

Which is very close to the lyrics "This'll hurt you worse than me."

Hazekiah
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM

What do you guys think?

Well...

I think that makes more sense, but he's clearly saying 'I'm weak'. But it's pretty obviously an MM play on words.

I agree that he clearly seems to be singing "I'm weak, seven days I'm weak" but that it is also surely meant as a play on "seven days a week."

I'm half-expecting that lyric to be transcribed differently in the album's lyric sheet than it's sung in the song to reflect that.

We'll see!

Here is what I got from it.

Oh, ah ah ah ah
Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

Crushing, cheating, changing.
Am I deaf or dead?
Is this constricting construction
Or just streets with rusty signs
Of something violent coming?

Oh, ah ah ah ah
Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

Got no reflection.
Got no reflection.

Show myself how to make a noose
A gun's cliche, and a razor too
I'm not a deathshare vacation, vacant station
Made of scars and filled with my old wounds

Oh, ah ah ah ah
Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

Got no reflection.
Got no reflection.

Got no reflection.
Got no reflection.

No Reflection.
No Reflection.

I've got no reflection.

Anyone wanna help out with the ones I couldn't catch/got wrong?

Looks damned good, I think you guys all pretty much nailed it!

EXCEPT!

I'd suggest changing that bit of vocalization repeated throughout from

Oh, ah ah ah ah
Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

to something more like

Whoa-ah-ah-ah-ah
Uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

since there's a definite "wuh" sound at the beginning as if to say "whoa" yet it becomes something closely akin to an "uh-oh" at its conclusion.

Also, both "whoa" and "uh-oh" seem to relate well enough to the concerns and worries expressed in the lyrics, particularly the warning signs on the street for example, insofar as "uh-oh" acknowledges the danger and "whoa" simultaneously conveys narcissistic awe and the urge to stop, as vocalized with the common horse riding command.

And since it also corresponds to earlier creative vocalizations by Manson like the "uh-uh" vocalizations in "(s)AINT" which were simultaneously rhythmic grunts and lyrics which respond to the incorrect answer to the question of his name before providing the correction that one must "hold the 's'" to get it right, it seems likely that such was indeed the intended effect he was going for in this case as well.

:)

Golden Eel
03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I'd suggest changing that bit of vocalization repeated throughout from

Oh, ah ah ah ah
Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

to something more like

Whoa-ah-ah-ah-ah
Uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Good idea. Edited.

I originally had it as *cool vocal noises*. I guess I didn't look deep enough into it ha.

johncraze
03-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by VCR: Personally, I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down. Take from that what you want.

^ Marilyn Manson viewed from a third person perspective. Just like he mentioned.

brian219
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
[/CENTER]
As a slight aside, if the lyric is indeed "I'm weak seven days a week", then that seems to allude to Manson's 'modern art' piece, We(a)k One, seen in The High End Of Low booklet:-
[INDENT=2]
[There] is an A3 scrap of paper on which 14 empty cocaine bags are taped."That's my modern art piece, entitled We(a)k One," he sniggers."That was the first week of making the record. Either we had really poor cocaine or we did a lot."MM · 2009 [Kerrang! Magazine (http://www.providermodule.com/media/?v=i/2009/kerrang_homealone)]

Yeah, I had already more or less changed my mind when I thought of these two lines in relation to each other:
"This isn't a show it's my fucking life" from Vodevil and
"This art is weak in it's pretty, pretty frame" from Born Again

Even "the weak ones are there to justify the strong" to some degree, referenced in the coke bag display you mentioned.

Also interesting is that based on the initial 30 second clip, many people compared the intro to the chorus in the Death Song, which becomes an interesting parallel considering the seemingly suicidal nature of some of the lyrics.

Teena Byrd
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Did you ever think that maybe "No Reflection" is a continuation and update on "The Reflecting God" as opposed to a vampire reference? When you're the Antichrist Superstar and you're innate nature is to practice as the snake: 'Why do you think God doesn't want you to eat from that tree? It's because he doesn't want you to have power. He knows that if you eat from that tree, your eyes will be: open; and you will be as the gods, knowing good from evl.' [i.e.: the power to make a choice, to influence, to magic(k)] With an entire new facebook generation who's only re-action and response is to log-online and immediately attack, accruing bonus points for the suicides they hope to inspire (albeit subconsciously - 'forgive the little children, for they know not what they do'), it's kind of hard to say anything to them. They're not awake: they're the biggest zombie generation ever. What is their hope and future? The best possible when you go to work, play on the computer, secluded and private in your little cubicle, conversation and interaction so deeply punished...now go home and do the same thing....Where's your recess? What power do you have? In this philosophy: "There is no you; there is only me. [The me]."
------------
I'm no mouthpiece. I just love the man! Put me back in his lap and make him love me: http://thecampaignbook.com/manson.html middle video (click even if it's black and/or blank) http://www.imdb.me/teenabyrd
"I don't know wish me that I love. Got no reflection!"

VCR
03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I can't fucking unhear 'vacation bacon station' god dammit

arkahno
03-08-2012, 05:57 PM
I almost sure is:

"I'm wicked seven days I'm wicked"

and not: weak
it seems more accurate to me.

VCR
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
I almost sure is:

"I'm wicked seven days I'm wicked"

and not: weak
it seems more accurate to me.

Makes more sense to be weak from the lyrics just prior. Also, I listened again it is not Wicked at all. You can tell as when he says the word in question a second time you cannot hear the break for the second syllable of the word "wicked". You can hear emphasis on "eeeek" in the word weak. It is a single syllable word. It is weak.

Necrof
03-08-2012, 07:38 PM
From all Manson fans in CIS I want to thank S.D. for the great analysis and MixMastahTee for lyrics transcript!

Personally, I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down.
Speaking of "beating himself down". This reminds me of "Dried Up, Tied and Dead to the World":

Cake up on some make-up to
Cover all those lines
Wake up and stop shaking
’Cause you’re just wasting time
He explains it in his book "The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell" (p. 243):

It was the most self-recriminating I had ever been..
With him speaking about going back to the roots of ACSS times, feeling this attitude again. Sorry if I'm wrong and for my poor English.

VCR
03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
With him speaking about going back to the roots of ACSS times, feeling this attitude again. Sorry if I'm wrong and for my poor English.

This song has an ACSS and POAFF vibe to it i find as well. Your English is fine.

Dronepool
03-08-2012, 11:03 PM
A valid reading, there's shades of Dorian Gray as well (yes, I went there with that pun). In Isolation (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/3487-Isolation?p=94689&viewfull=1#post94689) recently, I posed the notion of Manson's reflection during The High End Of Low, it's clearly become a burgeoning theme since The Golden Age Of Grotesque, throughout all following albums:-

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/TGAOG_Promotional_54.jpg

"I'm a diamond that is tired, of all the faces I've acquired. We must secure the shadow ere, the substance fades."

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_52.jpg http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_51.jpg

Also, "You don't even want to know what I'm gonna do to you" is reminiscent of Leave A Scar's lyrical thematic, and things like "I am worse than what you think you'd catch from me" during WOW. It's also very close to "There's not a word for what I want to do to you" during You And Me And The Devil Makes 3, which may in itself lead to "I won't bother counting 1, 2 ,3"?

It's a little like Manson's taking all of the self-deprecation from the last three albums and fashioning them into outward vitriol. That's especially true when you consider "A gun's cliche and a razor too" in relation to "I'm more like a silver bullet than I'm like a gun" and the recurrent razor blade image during The High End Of Low. Interestingly, that album debuted with Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon, and Manson posed on the cover as the "hangman":-

http://www.providermodule.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_THEOL_Promotional_07.jpg

The lyric "teach myself how to make a noose" reminds me of "If the world had one neck my hands would be the 'where' and I would choke all of you down", and "It's on the news or is it the noose" during the aforementioned Arma...Geddon, perhaps implying Manson's teaching himself how to 'make the news'? That's a stretch, but you know, all roads worth walking down and that.

I enjoyed reading this, thanks S.D. :)

The Empirical Guy
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
A valid reading, there's shades of Dorian Gray as well (yes, I went there with that pun). In Isolation (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/3487-Isolation?p=94689&viewfull=1#post94689) recently, I posed the notion of Manson's reflection during The High End Of Low, it's clearly become a burgeoning theme since The Golden Age Of Grotesque, throughout all following albums:-

Damn it, how are you so good at putting this stuff together so quickly? I got the You And Me... reference in the lyric similarities, but didn't make the 1,2,3 connection as well, let alone all the other stuff in the first day it's been out. Excellent reading though, thanks for putting it all up.

iggy
03-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Okay, what I get from this song is it's Manson's ode to narcissism and split personality disorder.

I thought it was less of a self referential thing, and more of a reference to "I'll give you a three second head start" sort of thing. "Don't run from me, you won't get a head start."

MisanthroPope
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I thought it was less of a self referential thing, and more of a reference to "I'll give you a three second head start" sort of thing. "Don't run from me, you won't get a head start."

That's my basic take on it. Like, 1, 2, 3, GO! But he's decided not even count because it's not going to matter. You aren't going to win, hell, maybe no one wins.

Scorpion
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM

At first I thought he was talking about the flyers all over the place in LA (who were placed by Shia in august I guess, close to the BV's trailer release). But nah. Any thoughts on that part? I'm curious about it. He probably meant BV itself (the violent thing coming), but I don't get the rusty signs and the constricting construction part, how they connect to each other.

Hazekiah
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM

At first I thought he was talking about the flyers all over the place in LA (who were placed by Shia in august I guess, close to the BV's trailer release). But nah. Any thoughts on that part? I'm curious about it. He probably meant BV itself (the violent thing coming), but I don't get the rusty signs and the constricting construction part, how they connect to each other.

He's been living in L.A. for years now, a city known for it's godawful traffic and constant freeway construction.

So, yeah...construction constricts traffic and the rust of the signs suggests dilapidation and degradation and their advanced state of decay implies age and therefore the idea that whatever danger lurks ahead has been there for quite a while or is indeed already upon him/us.

I also see the allusions to streets, signs, and constricting construction as a furtherance of his long-running lyrical motif of describing himself in automotive terms, perhaps even cleverly playing particularly on the sexual implications of one such song, "Ka-boom Ka-boom," with the references to traffic and traffic signs and "something violent coming."

That's what leapt right out of the song and into MY face upon first listen, anyway.

;)

VCR
03-09-2012, 03:41 PM

I believe this is in reference to his past. Where after GAOG everything tanked, yet he tried. He is dwelling on the major success of ACSS->HW. Knowing he has the talent he is asking himself if his future will be constricted or an explosion again like back in the day. What I get from it anyway. The entire song I believe is in reference to himself

Got no reflection.

Has he created numerous persona's for himself, or has the media. Has no real reflection of personality as a normal person would living a 9 to 5.

TheTeletubbieFlasher
03-10-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't know why these break downs remind me of some weird as bible chat. The only thing I think about when he says 7 days a week is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtuybFrq7Rw

AssetReign
03-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't know why these break downs remind me of some weird as bible chat.

Yes! That's what I couldn't put my finger on while reading the analysis/break down posts. Ppl trying to interpret the Bible.
Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

TheTeletubbieFlasher
03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't know why these break downs remind me of some weird as bible chat.

Yes! That's what I couldn't put my finger on while reading the analysis/break down posts. Ppl trying to interpret the Bible.
Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

-what I'm getting at is people break down the bible into little interpretations just like this thread!- Open your mind, and untwist your panties.

AssetReign
03-10-2012, 10:55 AM
-what I'm getting at is people break down the bible into little interpretations just like this thread!- Open your mind, and untwist your panties.

I understood your point, despite the fact my "panties" might be cutting off the blood supply to my large organ.

brian219
03-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I totally agree, Flasher. There's no room for analysis and discussion in an analysis and discussion thread. Take it somewhere else, people. :P

AssetReign
03-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I totally agree, Flasher. There's no room for analysis and discussion in an analysis and discussion thread. Take it somewhere else, people. :P

I think Flasher's point was the propensity here for over analyzation of every note, word, and nuance. Just like ppl do with the Bible.

TheTeletubbieFlasher
03-10-2012, 01:25 PM
you got it! :D AssetReign.. but I don't mean it in a negative way... I was just making a observation. :D

TheTeletubbieFlasher
03-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I understood your point, despite the fact my "panties" might be cutting off the blood supply to my large organ.

btw I was just referring to your butt not your head.... because twisted panties hurt!

AssetReign
03-10-2012, 01:35 PM
btw I was just referring to your butt not your head.... because twisted panties hurt!

Haha! Understood

S.D.
03-13-2012, 07:37 AM
From all Manson fans in CIS I want to thank S.D. for the great analysis and MixMastahTee for lyrics transcript!

I enjoyed reading this, thanks S.D. :)

Damn it, how are you so good at putting this stuff together so quickly? I got the You And Me... reference in the lyric similarities, but didn't make the 1,2,3 connection as well, let alone all the other stuff in the first day it's been out. Excellent reading though, thanks for putting it all up.

Thank you in return guys, and cheers especially to Dronepool and The Empirical Guy for quoting the ENTIRE POST just to commend it, you scamps should know better. ;)
I don't have some secret process of analysis, it's just whatever jumps out immediately from a listening or two. Usually your first instincts are the better ones.

Yeah sure, that works as well. Manson's hardly got the monopoly on reciting numbers, so I guess it's whichever usage seems to fit the themes of the song overall best. There was a lot of it during Antichrist Superstar mind you, what with the three-tiered album structure, and number sequences in songs like Cryptorchid or Apple Of Sodom.

I was considering something else today actually, about numbers and people suggesting a connection between this and The Reflecting God. The "seven days a week" line puts me in mind of the Creation mythology, god making the world in seven days. Couldn't say for certain that's what Manson's alluding to, but it can't hurt to consider all avenues.

brian219
03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
"The "seven days a week" line puts me in mind of the Creation mythology, god making the world in seven days. Couldn't say for certain that's what Manson's alluding to, but it can't hurt to consider all avenues."

With the Genesis themes that seem to be indicated by song titles like "The Gardener" (Garden of Eden?) and "Children of Cain," alongside Manson's past references to Lucifer as the bible's villain, I wouldn't be surprised if the seven days are a reference to exactly that.

Manson has said that he has experienced some sort of rebirth and is going about this album as if it's his first. So a genesis theme seems appropriate.

Plus, there's Holywood's line "the first flower after the flood." Holywood is the first part of the triptych, but not necessarily the beginning.

Dronepool
03-13-2012, 06:57 PM
And it's also a song in El Topo

http://www.last.fm/music/Alejandro+Jodorowsky/_/La+Primera+Flor+Despues+Del+Diluvio+(The+First+Flo wer+After+the+Flood)

Which has sounds of crying and flies :)

brian219
03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Totally didn't know that. Yet another reason I need to stop being lazy and hunt down those Jodorowsky films.

Sans Agendum
03-13-2012, 10:56 PM
James 1:23-24

23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

The Empirical Guy
03-14-2012, 03:16 AM
^ That's some cool shit right there. So would the implication be that having no reflection, he has not looked at himself in the mirror, he has not listened to the word? More importantly, what is the word?

tricky
03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
I like this new song, but it doesn't make me want to do anything; sing along, dance, or even get up off the couch. For me, a fan since Portrait of an American Family, it's lacking excitement and energy. I was discussing it with a friend of mine, and after several listens, we think it would be better if it were a bit faster and energetic with more dynamic voice inflections that Manson is so famous for. I don't have a way, software, to adjust the speed of the song, but I'd be curious to hear it sped up a little.

Dronepool
03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Totally didn't know that. Yet another reason I need to stop being lazy and hunt down those Jodorowsky films.

Get the boxset, it has the soundtracks.

Lunchb0x812
03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
First time post here - thanks for all the insight guys!

Now I just sat down to my desk at work and put my headphones in and what do I hear in the first new seconds of the track? Some backwards vocals. Def Manson's voice and what sounds like a females. Anyone else heard this? Interestingggg!

If it has been mentioned before I'm sorry but I didn't see anything in the 7 pages!

Paranoir
03-21-2012, 10:50 PM
I finally got on my account here too so my first post aswell I just wanted to jump in and say I just spent an hour walking down the aide of the road repeating no reflection so I could try and make out the backwards vocals I heard them the other day aswell, good too see someone else picked up on it to. Non radio version.

Sans Agendum
03-21-2012, 11:08 PM
^ That's some cool shit right there. So would the implication be that having no reflection, he has not looked at himself in the mirror, he has not listened to the word? More importantly, what is the word?

I imagine it could mean a number of things intentionally. It's vampyric of course. In the Biblical sense I'd say it means he's read scriptural advice but has not put it to actions. Perhaps he means to say that he does not dwell on his past or the mistakes he's made. Maybe it means that he has chosen to experience error instead of listening to the wisdom of mentors. It reminds me of his painting for the best of album "Experience is the mistress of Fools" which depicts him with 'horns' which are symbolic of wisdom. So in all Maybe it's stating that he has experienced the torment that comes from experience first hand instead of living a safe and holy lifestyle.

First time post here - thanks for all the insight guys!

Now I just sat down to my desk at work and put my headphones in and what do I hear in the first new seconds of the track? Some backwards vocals. Def Manson's voice and what sounds like a females. Anyone else heard this? Interestingggg!

If it has been mentioned before I'm sorry but I didn't see anything in the 7 pages!

I know what you are mentioning and asked a friend to take the vocals into a program and we found out they aren't backwards as they are recorded in the song. When he reversed them they actually became quite obviously... reversed sounding. So they're normal the way they are in the song. Just chopped up a bit maybe and effected just a bit. I can't make any of it out. It's interesting though.

Paranoir
03-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Oh I got awful excited reading that haha :( do you know what program they were using?

Paranoir
03-22-2012, 09:50 PM
When I hear No Reflection the lyrics 'I don't know which me that I love' my mind instantly flicks throughb the Better of two Evils. Just throwing that on the table

TH15x15xMYxOMeGA
03-24-2012, 06:48 PM
I really like this song lyrically, but I'm just having trouble liking the song when I listen to it. It doesn't make me as excited for the new album as I have been with past singles. Is anyone else having this problem?

Antichrist
03-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Such good lyrics! Manson is a genius.

Wormboy
03-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Where to buy a single 'No Reflection' ??

Norsefire
03-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Where to buy a single 'No Reflection' ??

Seriously? There's threads all over in the news section, and news posts on our website plus posts on Marilyn Manson's facebook. Anyway... there's no CD release, a digital release is on iTunes and Amazon.

Necrophilip
03-25-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm quite positive it's "I'm weak seven days a week". He starts pronouncing "week" right after "a", so it builds a longer consonant (w), but I'm most definitely not hearing a nasal sonorant there.

Wormboy
03-26-2012, 01:43 AM
I found something:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007M2LGT8/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B007M2LH6A&qid=1332751026&sr=1-1

"No Reflection (Tribute to Marilyn Manson)"

1. No Reflection
2. No Reflection (Instrumental Version)
3. No Reflection (Karaoke Version)

I mean vinyl ehite :)

Sans Agendum
03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I found something:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007M2LGT8/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B007M2LH6A&qid=1332751026&sr=1-1

1. No Reflection

I mean vinyl ehite :)Seems legit

Adonai
03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I found something:

1. No Reflection

I mean vinyl ehite :)

I already posted about this a while ago, here: http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/3990-No-Reflection-cover-by-Music-Magnet

It got moved around like five different times, though. I guess the mods here couldn't decide where they wanted it.

Cringeon
03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Got moved twice, yes first place was an error due to an influx in tequila lol. I put it in gen music since its some other groups recording, don't read too much into it. It was just a thread move, nothing personal.

Sans Agendum
03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Got moved twice, yes first place was an error due to an influx in tequila lol. I put it in gen music since its some other groups recording, don't read too much into it. It was just a thread move, nothing personal.

I just gained some respect for you as an admin simply because you admitted to drunken fuckuppery.

Adonai
03-28-2012, 12:16 AM

lol, sure felt like five times though! So it was YOU that moved it, huh? MmmmHMMMM ... I see how you are! *folds arms, frowns and tries to look upset* Well just as long as you can blame it on alcohol, like my dad did with my conception and beating my mother, then I am OK with that. Thanks for the explanation, by the way. It's good to know how things work behind the scenes here at Provider Module. >;-P

S.D.
03-28-2012, 02:23 AM
I was under the impression that most of mine and Cringeon's administration work is done whilst drunk. Some of my best ideas and written content when we built the site were the result of a bottle of wine or two.

I almost lost a whole sub-forum once when I was pissed, it was only drunken determinism (like when you know you can walk home in a straight line from a bar) that convinced me to blood the fuck up and go looking for it.

The Empirical Guy
03-28-2012, 03:23 AM
I imagine it could mean a number of things intentionally. It's vampyric of course. In the Biblical sense I'd say it means he's read scriptural advice but has not put it to actions. Perhaps he means to say that he does not dwell on his past or the mistakes he's made. Maybe it means that he has chosen to experience error instead of listening to the wisdom of mentors. It reminds me of his painting for the best of album "Experience is the mistress of Fools" which depicts him with 'horns' which are symbolic of wisdom. So in all Maybe it's stating that he has experienced the torment that comes from experience first hand instead of living a safe and holy lifestyle.

All good points, but I'm disappointed no one took the opportunity to state that the bird is the word.

Sans Agendum
03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
^And across the world every Module stopped what they were doing and did the entire Bird is the Word song and dance in public until they were 51/50d for public disobedience. Thanks a LOT. :'(

Jakob Synn
03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
I was under the impression that most of mine and Cringeon's administration work is done whilst drunk.

Totally acceptable.

Some of my best ideas and written content when we built the site were the result of a bottle of wine or two.

I write a lot of important emails while drunk. It helps liberate me at certain times, as well as loosens me up so a lot of truth comes out and ramblings

EDIT:-

To me this song feels like Manson's writing from EMDM but writing it more as a character from ACS, MA or HW.

To me, it almost seems like the next chapter to the trilogy. Not to say exactly, but maybe more in the sense of what Manson went through during those times in his life.

I mean, he has been more personal in his lyrics since Skold told him to write a song for what he was going through in life at that time that wasn't a character.

Paranoir
03-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Just thought I would share this I sort of stumbled upon in my late night.. whatever it is I am doing.. watching/listening to Doppelherz over and over..

Manson can be seen wearing a mask with closed eyes in the beginning of the video, admiring himself in a mirror.

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/nk_doppelherz_mask.jpg

No Reflection?

Manson101
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
What does... " I don't know which me that i love. Got no reflection" mean to you guys?

Hazekiah
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
http://momentsunderlamplight.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/narcissus1.jpg

Manson101
04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
hmmmmm

Adonai
04-04-2012, 08:10 PM
hmmmmm

Yeah, I don't get what Haz is trying to say with that either ... I think he is trying to be funny and clever at the same time? He's special.

I think there are other threads where this is being discussed though, just look.

Moving on.

iggy
04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I don't get what Haz is trying to say with that either ... I think he is trying to be funny and clever at the same time? He's special.

I think there are other threads where this is being discussed though, just look.

Moving on.

Narcissus.

Google.

Hank Hill
04-05-2012, 03:06 AM
On a literal level it just means that Manson, or the character he is speaking through, adopts numerous guises or personalities and is unable to ascertain which of them is the "real" version of him as he lacks the appropriate method of self-analysis (a mirror, in the song lyrics - which acts as a metaphor for the numerous processes we use to judge/evaluate ourselves).

This can obviously be related symbolically to numerous characters in literature and art but I've just gone for the literal explanation as I haven't really thought too deeply about it yet. I want to wait to see how the song ties in with the rest of the album which should have a concept running through it to aid analysis.

The Empirical Guy
04-05-2012, 07:36 AM
^ Well noted.

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but it occurred to me when Manson says he's "got no reflection" he could be meaning that he has no equal, or there is no one else like him. I would have absolutely no idea where to begin looking for it, but I vaguely remember him saying something about being alone in the world insofar as there was nobody else quite like him, while he came to terms with his uniqueness as a blessing it was also a curse of loneliness, or something. Does anyone else remember this or is it a made up haze in my brain?

Golden Eel
04-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Also worth mentioning, I'd have to say that a noose is almost as cliché as a gun or a razor.

brian219
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
That's pretty much the gist of Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery and Thingmaker. Like most ideas he puts forth, I'm sure variations have appeared in interviews here and there.

AssetReign
04-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Also worth mentioning, I'd have to say that a noose is almost as cliché as a gun or a razor.

True, but a guitar strap as a noose is telling; although I'm not even going to attempt to analyze it.

iggy
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Not at all. It's classic.

Where shooting yourself is much more common, and cutting yourself is typical teenager attention whoring. Not to mention tying a noose is the only form of the three that requires any preparation.

Adonai
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Not at all. It's classic.

Where shooting yourself is much more common, and cutting yourself is typical teenager attention whoring. Not to mention tying a noose is the only form of the three that requires any preparation.

Wait ... a gun requires no preparation?

SpaceGhost
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Attempting suicide by cutting yourself only works like 6% of the time.

^ Well noted.

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but it occurred to me when Manson says he's "got no reflection" he could be meaning that he has no equal, or there is no one else like him. I would have absolutely no idea where to begin looking for it, but I vaguely remember him saying something about being alone in the world insofar as there was nobody else quite like him, while he came to terms with his uniqueness as a blessing it was also a curse of loneliness, or something. Does anyone else remember this or is it a made up haze in my brain?

"I am among no one"...? The obvious one, ha.

The Empirical Guy
04-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Yes, that would be it, I think it was related to that but he was expanding upon it and talking about it more than just that lyric.

blue angel
08-25-2014, 11:36 PM
This song just sounds like he hears the person that he's telling this stuff to and gets their point, might even respect them, since he's explaining himself, BUT he's going to rebel. It's become his nature, rebelling, right or wrong. The person he is pointing this out to has him bothered though.

Also, he is saying he has no reflection and before he always alluded to having his twin flame but that is gone now since he is among noone and if you recall, he went to God just to see and saw his own self, The Reflecting God, so now with no reflection, isn't he dead to the world and beyond God....since he has no reflection.
Just mind numbing if you consider everything and all of the songs and themes and how things have played out.
I wonder now if he will change from always having that theme with the duality in his future work.
Manson is always interesting, if you want to.

S.D.
09-09-2016, 05:04 AM
Here's a brief, slightly obvious angle to consider regarding No Reflection. A lot of discourse seems to focus on 'reflection' in the literal sense, seeing (or not seeing) one's self in a surface. However, Manson's discussion of his various selves, and Born Villain's seemingly 'fresh slate' approach might imply that he was simply 'not reflecting'.
EAT ME, DRINK ME and The High End Of Low were notably more introspective in tone, and occasionally in delivery, whereas Born Villain was designed to be minimalist and not too rooted in the past. Perhaps the confidence and relatively nostalgia-free atmosphere of the album and tour were created by him simply not reflecting on the past too much.

The (s)CENTLESS
09-10-2016, 12:34 AM
Ok, here's my theory about this track:
First of all, we must analyze first the cover of the single No Reflection, here we can observe a representation perhaps of the Yin-Yang, a cover between black and white that melt in the same way that this Chinese symbol, starting from this point, we can have a better idea regarding the line "i don't know which me that i love, i've got no reflection". The side to choose, positive or negative, good or bad, MM cannot be considered in none of these two ends, perhaps for that reason his same representation it's on both. Maybe is not pure coincidence that in the album No Reflection is the track 2, 2 is the number of Discord but it is also the number of the Balance, the duality of what he represents.

Sorry about my english, it's not my first language.

cataract777
09-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Here's a brief, slightly obvious angle to consider regarding No Reflection. A lot of discourse seems to focus on 'reflection' in the literal sense, seeing (or not seeing) one's self in a surface. However, Manson's discussion of his various selves, and Born Villain's seemingly 'fresh slate' approach might imply that he was simply 'not reflecting'.
EAT ME, DRINK ME and The High End Of Low were notably more introspective in tone, and occasionally in delivery, whereas Born Villain was designed to be minimalist and not too rooted in the past. Perhaps the confidence and relatively nostalgia-free atmosphere of the album and tour were created by him simply not reflecting on the past too much.

That's interesting, because within the past month when I've been listening to the song, trying to figure out the meaning of the lyrics, I've been looking at the term reflection as reflecting upon himself as well. Especially since the first line of the chorus is "I don't know which me that I love...".

M Tragedy666
09-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Nostalgia free? Wasn't it those tours in particular that he brought back the pope outfit?

S.D.
09-14-2016, 02:02 AM
Nostalgia free? Wasn't it those tours in particular that he brought back the pope outfit?
You could apply that logic to any tour where he's unveiled a new podium, or used stilts, or played a song from fifteen years ago, though. Sure it was exciting to see an iconic Manson image resurrected, but it didn't feel like looking backwards. If he'd pulled that outfit for Against All Gods it may have seemed insincere, but within the context of the Born Villain tour the band's stage persona fit the fresh, aggressive approach of the record.

Shangri-LIE
09-22-2016, 04:43 AM
I've always interpreted it as both a domestic abuse and mental health awareness song/video.