PDA

View Full Version : Donovan Influence! (Pistol Whipped)

Crystalarts
05-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Hi, first post although I have been around various forums since the GAOG days (never posted).

Pistol Whipped - Heavy Breathing... I knew i had heard this somewhere before and finally remembered :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZNlTsjp1Hs

notice what Donovan is carrying in his hand on the cover of the single and what else is lying in the boat (see the video)...

The song features in Donovan's Double Album (and worlds first box set).....wait for it...... "A GIFT FROM A FLOWER TO A GARDEN"

http://cfs13.tistory.com/image/34/tistory/2008/10/26/12/35/4903e584528a2
Notice the picture... holding a flower and..... Peacock feather... I do believe Manson mentioned recently in his interviews about him having his peacock feathers.

"Mad John's Escape" is a song written for a friend of Donovan's who escaped from a mental health center. The song details Mad John's escape and subsequent adventures.

"Under the Greenwood Tree" which finishes the album was originally written by William Shakespeare. At the end of the song, Donovan sings "Will you, won't you... join the dance?" in reference to the chorus of "The Lobster Quadrille" in Chapter X of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Hope you found my post interesting....

Crystalarts
05-04-2012, 04:45 AM
sorry. breathing occurs at 0.20 in video and at 1.43

For anyone who listens to donovan they will know that its one thing you remember from the song.

A Better Messiah
05-04-2012, 05:59 AM
That's a pretty awesome find, Crystalarts! I've never heard of Donovan, but I think that there is more than enough evidence here to show that Marilyn Manson is at least aware of this album. Shakespeare, Carroll, peacock, flower, heavy breathing...sounds right up his alley!!

Crystalarts
05-04-2012, 06:31 AM
That's a pretty awesome find, Crystalarts! I've never heard of Donovan, but I think that there is more than enough evidence here to show that Marilyn Manson is at least aware of this album. Shakespeare, Carroll, peacock, flower, heavy breathing...sounds right up his alley!!

Donovan sang songs during the 60s/70s like "mellow yellow" and "season of the witch" (Bowie later references this with the lyric "season of the bitch" in diamond dogs) early on in his career he was likened to bob Dylan before moving on to psychedelic music and taught the Beatles how to play guitar in a finger picking style whilst in india. Various bands are influenced by him And Liam Gallagher has had photo shoots mimicking Donovan photo shoots.

AssetReign
05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
I don't know if Manson listens to Donovan, but I love him. It's great to see I'm not alone.

Crystalarts
05-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I don't know if Manson listens to Donovan, but I love him. It's great to see I'm not alone.

Same here! Fun illy enough I got "gift from a flower to a garden" signed by him at his book signing.

He was also good friends with Bowie and inspired Lennon so I would imagine Manson has certainly listened to him and enjoys his music.

AssetReign
05-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Same here! Fun illy enough I got "gift from a flower to a garden" signed by him at his book signing.

He was also good friends with Bowie and inspired Lennon so I would imagine Manson has certainly listened to him and enjoys his music.

That makes sense. I'll have to give a closer listen to both artists and look for the parallels. Nice!

thousand_kisses
05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
would love for manson to do a cover of "Hurdy Gurdy Man"....

AssetReign
05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
would love for manson to do a cover of "Hurdy Gurdy Man"....

That would be a perfect fit, vocally and otherwise.

ThreeEyedGod
05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
No more covers!

Very interesting paralell.

brian219
05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
This thread is awesome.

Some people need to take a remedial music history course, though. :P

AssetReign
05-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I just realized Kristen Stewart looks just like Donovan.

brian219
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
This thread is awesome.

Some people need to take a remedial music history course, though. :P

EDIT Crap, I almost forgot the whole reason I posted. I was reading about Highway to Hell the other night on Wikipedia and found this tidbit interesting:

"The final track, "Night Prowler", has two breaths in quick succession at the start of the song, intended to create a tone of fear and loathing."

This track, of course, was the subject of some controversy during that whole Richard Ramirez thing.

TheTeletubbieFlasher
05-04-2012, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcOlZSBZsY