PDA

View Full Version : 'Breaking The Same Old Ground' & 'In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death'

A Better Messiah
06-09-2012, 05:02 PM
This is going to be relatively short and vague since I'm just reposting this from what I wrote on Facebook, but I thought that we could get some more diverse conversation out of this if it's posted in two places:

I was listening to Holy Wood earlier and heard a familiar key in "In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death." You all are familiar with the choir synth used in "Breaking The Same Old Ground" with the Coma Black fingerpicking arranged on keyboard, right? Well, you can hear a very similar (if not identical) choir synth during the "Sometimes I feel..." pre-chorus of the former. AND! The outro "Death is..." uses the Coma Black fingerpicking. Which adds up if Manson is "Owned by death" in "Breaking The Same Old Ground."

Or perhaps I'm just looking for these similarities at this point, but there are definitely some parallels there!!

brian219
06-09-2012, 07:21 PM
There were many, many moments on Born Villain where certain things felt like callbacks to previous songs. Some were musical, some were the way he intoned certain lines and some were just the sonics in general. You're probably right.

The Wax Gentleman
06-09-2012, 10:53 PM
As I've said in the past, no Manson album can be complete without the synthesized choir loop.

A Better Messiah
06-10-2012, 09:12 PM
As I've said in the past, no Manson album can be complete without the synthesized choir loop.

Agreed! It really is iconic to his sound, in my opinion, and one of the aspects (sonically) that really drew me into his catalogue of musick!