PDA

View Full Version : The Anime thread!

yuzukelly
07-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Yay!! I hope there isn't one already!! Sorry if there is, I did check though :3

Well, it's no secret I love anime. I don't think it's popular enough around these parts to have separate threads of different series, but I know some of you do enjoy anime as well!! ^w^ I thought a thread of a general discussion of different series would be fun! ...right? :D

What is your favorite anime? Last one you watched? Any you'd recommend? Favorite Genre? Of course this thread isn't limited to those questions :D

My favorites are Tenchi Muyo! and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Hmm.. The last full one I watched was Dirty Pair or Madoka... I've seen bits and pieces of other random episodes of random anime, but those are the last ones I've actually finished the series. Movie wise though, last NEW one was Arrietty! Has anyone seen it? It was pretty cute. Very slow and not a lot of exciting things going on, but I just love Ghibli in general, there's actually only two movies from them I didn't like. From Up on Poppy Hill is getting an English dub and it's supposed to be out in the USA next March, really excited about that!

I would recommend Anything by Miyazaki, especially someone new to anime(actually, if you are an anime fan there's not a big chance you haven't seen his work already lol!). Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika was really good too. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, just wait and get a couple episodes in, I personally was hooked! It's a dark magical girl series, but don't get hooked on "magical girl"! It's actually not TOO girly like one would expect lol! If you like analyzing stuff, and symbolism out the whazoo I would recommend Utena. I've heard it been called the girl's Evangelion, and it kind of is in the emotional sense, and what the major characters have to go through. Although while Eva is about piloting giant robot-thingies and all that, Utena is set in a high school and involved sword fighting and romance... kind of. Haha!

Cringeon
07-07-2012, 02:57 PM
When I was younger I really got into Tenchi, Neon Genesis, Gundam and DBZ and for whatever reason was in love with the movie X. Haven't really followed anime for a few years, but also tell myself to pick a new series to start.

yuzukelly
07-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I haven't seen the X movie, but I have read a little of the manga. I really like the group Clamp, the people who created it, especially their artist Mokona, her stuff is beautiful! https://yande.re/sample/abc840139dee1ea9836c1e9848833b90/yande.re%2095339%20sample.jpg <- A really cute pic of Sakura from their work CardCaptor Sakura ^^

Have you seen Ranma 1/2, Cringeon? It's an older comedy. I haven't met many people who actually dislike it, so it might be a good one to watch if you haven't seen it :D It also has lots of fighting, because the main characters are martial artists ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYq4-E55tP8

yuzukelly
07-09-2012, 10:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPCLMH1NM4

Just found this on tumblr, I thought it was pretty funny!! I also thought of a lot of different OPs that could fit in this video as well! lol :) The song is pretty good I think too~ *^^*

Sixteen Saltines
07-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Not into anime anymore, but I do appreciate the classics.

Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Wolf's Rain
Case Closed
Neon Genesis
Lupin The Third
FMA / Brotherhood
Big O

sayyosin
07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
When I was younger I really liked:

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist

Pretty much everything that was on Cartoon Network's Toonami. I don't watch anime anymore but I still like to read manga sometimes. The last one I was reading was called Monster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_%28manga%29). I haven't seen the anime yet, but I'm going to watch it eventually.

yuzukelly
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
sayyosin , I haven't read Monster but I've heard of it, I was thinking of picking it up sometime! Have you heard of Junji Ito? I was never big into horror manga, but his stuff is AMAZING. He did Tomie, Uzumaki, The enigma of Amigara fault, and tons of shorts and other series. I can't recommend him enough. A lot of stuff is scanlated, and there's a group named Slug Chicks that have recently been translated a lot off his shorts. If you're ever bored and need something to pass time, I really recommend looking his stuff up.

http://www.bogleech.com/halloween/ito-ito.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zGWGAQWRghA/TQHhUf9lPtI/AAAAAAAABWY/tdiDwbD51Js/s1600/Junji_ito222.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mf3X6xFz1yA/SchK22geG-I/AAAAAAAAAR8/ZpnM3kTLqss/s400/gashunk.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/5307066519_8239b625db.jpg
He did his own version of Frankenstein. I really enjoyed it!!!

Sixteen Saltines
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
I can't believe I forgot Death Note. <333

yuzukelly
07-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I read the manga for it!! I got really upset when L died though and couldn't finish it because it got annoying to me... but I did skip to the very end so I know what happens xP But oh my goodness it was much better than I thought :) but L and Rem were my favorite characters ;__;

Sixteen Saltines
07-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I read the manga for it!! I got really upset when L died though and couldn't finish it because it got annoying to me... but I did skip to the very end so I know what happens xP But oh my goodness it was much better than I thought :) but L and Rem were my favorite characters ;__;

I know! I was like WTF?! The ending was so sad, too.

L and Ryuk were my favorite characters. ^_^

Zsa Zsa
07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-06/sailor-moon-manga-gets-new-anime-in-summer-2013

Figured this would be the best thread to post this in. I'm about 76 episodes in to the original series of Sailor Moon right now, and will probably be finished well before next summer, so this is very exciting.

Also, my favorite anime of all time is Trigun, I love Dragonball, DBZ, and DBGT, Fist of the North Star, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Yu Yu Hakusho, and so forth. I like this thread. <3

yuzukelly
07-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Sixteen , I really liked Ryuk, too XD Can't help but like him lol!

Zsa Zsa , YESSS!!!! I did hear about that!!! I can't believe I didn't post it myself haha! I haven't watched a lot of Sailor Moon since it's run on Toonami, but once in a while I put on http://www.toonamiaftermath.com/ (actually, SM is NEXT at the time of typing this!) and catch an episode or two :) I really love the manga. I got them all at the library when I read them, but I only owned the first volume of the original English release. I'm collecting the re-release of the manga when I have the cash :)

It's supposed to stream worldwide at the same time, that's something I'm really happy about!

I need to watch Fist of the North Star! It looks cool! I need to finish Trigun too, only got a few episode in ^^;;

HeartShapedAsses
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
What is your favorite anime? Last one you watched? Any you'd recommend? Favorite Genre?

Top five:

Naoki Urasawa's Monster
Death Note
Elfn Lied
Black Butler
Ouran Host Club
Clannad: After Story

Last one I watched:

Strawberry Panic!

What I'd recommend:

Naoki Urasawa's Monster (you can get it on Netflix, in subbed which is the best do NOT watch it in English). Monster is by far the BEST and most incredibly underrated anime in history, Death Note wish. However its very long 70 shows I believe, but well worth it you will not find a better anime of its kind, it's got everything. And it's pretty PG however there are like three episodes or so (out of 70) that show minor sexual content so be warned if you watch with younger siblings and just monitor it for them :)

yuzukelly
07-11-2012, 11:30 AM
http://www.jpopasia.com/news/japanese-politicians-to-discuss-developing-real-life-gundams::11636.html

Not exactly anime, but... :3

yuzukelly
07-17-2012, 09:45 AM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-17/princess-mononoke-anime-film-gets-stage-play-in-london

Stage adaptation of Princess Mononoke ?! I wish I were able to see it! It says "original music"... I don't know... Hisaishi's music was so beautiful... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1C9RDIKWeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5y1cybJjHE&feature=related

twiggysrabies
07-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Favourites, hm? I don't know that I can list just one. Anything Studio Ghibli puts out has my vote. I also really love Someday's Dreamers, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes magical girls. Another favourite of mine is Weiß Kreuz. I'd also recommend that to anyone into florists and assassination. Hahaha. Fushigi Yûgi is another on the top of my list. I need to go through all the anime I own and just make a list, because I love them all.

HeartShapedAsses
07-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I know! I was like WTF?! The ending was so sad, too.

L and Ryuk were my favorite characters. ^_^

Kira was my favorite. -L was a close second though. ;)

yuzukelly
07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
twiggysrabies , I just looked up Weiß Kreuz! It looks really cool!! I never watched Fushigi Yugi, but I did read some of the manga. It was hard for me to trust the creator, Yu Watase, because the first two works of hers that I finished ended nearly the exact same way(Ceres and Absolute Boyfriend), and they both ended BADLY DX But then I read.... I forget the name, but it was a generic shoujo and ended predictably, but it was ok xD

Oh man, Kira XD I liked Light for a little while, but I found L more appealing XD JUSTICE! YEAH! XD

Hexon.Arq
07-27-2012, 12:30 AM
My favorite anime cannot possibly be any other than Evangelion. It was the first non-video game tie-in anime I ever saw and I was so profoundly moved by the experience that it practically became my religion for several years, and in fact it was a full year before I even bothered to look into more anime. (The next one I checked out was Excel Saga. I have no idea why that happened to be the next step; compared to the manga, I think that show is awful.) I've rewatched Evangelion so many times over the years that I am no longer physically able to watch it with any degree of focus or comprehension, but I still feel it necessary to cite it as my favorite. Other favorites include Baccano!, Vision of Escaflowne, Dragonball (original only, I can't get myself into ZzZz), and my guilty pleasure Ranma 1/2.

The last anime movie I saw was Redline, which looked great but was a bit oversold to me. I'm not sure what the last series was. I've been sort of out of practice with my viewing, so it might have been Macross 7, which would have been just under a year ago. Currently I'm very gradually working on Madoka, Space Runaway Ideon, the second Hell Girl season... and I'd have to check what else. I honestly don't even remember. I think I might actually be experiencing something of a burnout.

I'm not really an enormous Ghibli fan. The entries I like most tend to be Takahata's films. Miyazaki doesn't really do it for me beyond Totoro and to a lesser extent Nausicaa. My Neighbors The Yamadas and Grave of the Fireflies are two of only a handfull of films that have ever brought me to tears; the latter made me weep like a beaten child.

yuzukelly
07-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Grave of the Fireflies is hands down the saddest movie I have ever seen. I never thought a film could make me so....gloomy and sad. It's such a GREAT film, but I don't know if I'd ever be able to bring myself to watch it a second time. Maybe 10 years down the line I might re visit it. But that's honestly the effect it gave me. I watched Totoro a day or two after Grave (in Japan, it was a double feature! Grave then Totoro. I didn't do that on purpose though, I just happened to get those two from the library at the same time) and I couldn't even enjoy it as much as I could have(it was my first time seeing Totoro, too) and I thought the Mom was going to die the whole time. I should have thought it through it being a MIYAZAKI children's film, and that couldn't have happened(People die in his films, but I don't think anyone dies in his more light hearted ones like Totoro, Ponyo or Kiki's...ones more obviously made for children xD)

I love Ranma! Haha! It's so funny!! :) I used to read the manga and get the VHS tapes from the library ALL the time! XD

Madoka is so much better than I thought it would be. I got angry in the middle, because she still wasn't a magical girl! The wait is worth it and I'm glad I stuck with it, but I was thinking, the whole damn show is called magical girl Madoka, why the hell isn't she a magical girl?! XD and Sayaka was annoying. Pfft >:c I don't care for Mami, but I do love Homura ^_^*

Haha, I really liked the DB manga, and I WOULD watch DBZ but wasn't as into it as reading DB, but a little while ago I had Toonami aftermath on and was watching DBZ and it was an episode with the androids and I don't remember enjoying or laughing at an episode so much xD I might revisit it.

Hexon.Arq
07-27-2012, 12:24 PM
I bought the first Dragonball Z boxed set, and honestly it feels like there were about nine episodes of story stretched agonizingly over the whole damned 30-something episode set. I went ahead and sold it because I figured I was never going to finish the series anyway. I know they put out Kai a while back, which is supposed to have streamlined the series, but what I've seen of that show has the opposite problem: it's super-fast and clunky. The original DB series is so damned entertaining and funny and well-paced. I haven't even finished it yet (3/5 of the way through) but I already know it's one of my favorites and great for any age.

I'm like three episodes into Madoka. The production is incredible, but the story thus far hasn't hooked me at all. The tone is kind of flat, too, and I still feel completely uninvested in any of the characters.

A lot of people give Ramna shit because it recycles the same few jokes over and over and doesn't really go anywhere, but I kind of consider it the I Love Lucy of the anime world. It feels even and classic, you can pull any episode out at any time and have a few chuckles. I can't say that for many other comedy anime. I've noticed that people regard things like Cromartie to be the height of anime hilarity, but I was over that show the first time I saw it. I think I just have a very low mental bar for comedy, and kid stuff tends to make me laugh the hardest.

I think my other two favorite comedies are GTO and Goldfish Warning, though the former loses points for being locked into a lengthy, semi-cohesive narrative and occasionally going super-serious, and the latter for still slowly being fansubbed one episode per few months by probably one lonely person in their mom's basement, and having almost no other exposure in the modern world save for a few obscure Sailor Moon cameos. I used to like Azumanga Daioh! a lot until I read the comic. The anime mangled a lot of the comedy in the original and now just seems astronomically less funny to me by constant mental comparison.

iggy
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I have a weird sort of love hate relationship with Anime. I hate it, but watch it constantly.

Faves:
Excel Saga
Trigun
Akira
Rurouni Kenshin
Dead Leaves
Ghost in the Shell
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Blue Submarine No. 6
Highschool DxD
Shadow Star

With the exception of Kenshin and Ghost in the Shell, all of these shows/movies are incredibly bizarre. I love how deranged and out there anime can get.

Honorable mention:
http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2010/04/yakitate.jpg

Hexon.Arq
07-27-2012, 12:45 PM
If you like Excel Saga, you should definitely read the manga. They're like night and day, but equally bizarre. The manga has this odd sort of semi-political dark satire component and a cohesive plot that definitely makes you look back on the TV series and ask, "What the fuck was that even supposed to be?"

iggy
07-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I have read the manga! The first three or four volumes anyway. Its indeed an entirely different kind of crazy, but the show just has so much more... "wtf-ness". When I actually read manga I like it to be slightly more sane, like Ranma

yuzukelly
07-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO KNEW OF GOLDFISH WARNING XD I watched a few episodes a while back. I need to pick it back up. I thought it was really cute :) I got really into Ikuhara Kunihiko and watched to know bout any series mentioned on his wikipedia page LOL I requested him for an anime con happening in December, it'd be cool if he came XD Speaking of Ikuni, anyone watch Mawaru PenguinDrum?

I agree about Ranma, Hexon.Arq . I've never seen Cromartie though...

I need to start reading GTO again...I was enjoying that one a lot! lol I enjoy Azumanga Daioh! Have you read Yotsuba&! ? It's by the same author, it's so cute and funny! It's a simple comic about a 5 year old girl living with her father and her adventures in the neighborhood and her neighbors who are three sisters, I think it's really funny :)

iggy , for some reason, sometimes I can't see pictures until I post something... so I will see the honorable mention soon ^^ Shadow Star has an anime?! Never knew that! I read it at the library when I was in.... ha probably elementary school XD I wasn't in-the-know back then and just got tons of anime/manga nearly weekly, but had no computer to look up news(or knew about that kind of stuff) and it took me a while to discover anime insider XD I didn't really know about conventions or anything for a while... If we're talking about the same series...
http://0.tqn.com/d/manga/1/0/J/7/-/-/shadowstar1_500.jpg ?

edit: A show about bread... Hmm.... I need to watch more anime >w<

Hexon.Arq
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I have the first volume of Yotsuba&!, and it seems like something I'd enjoy, and everyone tells me to finish, but money has been tight and manga isn't really a priority for me, even though I tend to enjoy it just as much if not more than anime. At ten bucks a pop, though, it usually cheaper to just watch a probably inferior show than get through most manga. I've only read Battle Angel Alita, Azumanga Daioh, Death Note, and the first Rozen Maiden to completion. I was really into Loveless when Tokyopop shit the bed and now I'm not sure what's happening with that. I guess I could always read scanlations, but I abhor reading comics on a computer screen. I was going to get myself into One Piece that way after hearing a lot of great discussion about it on ANNCast, but I lasted about twenty minutes.

yuzukelly
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
A good place to pick up manga is half price. I love collecting it myself, but I'm pretty poor lol! In some stores (Only one I know of in Columbus has a regular one and another has it occasionally) they have a manga clearance section with it marked at 2$! Even in the regular parts, you can find some omnibuses for 5$, and just in the open areas where they keep the cheap cheap and random stuff, I've gotten manga for 1$ ^_^ and eBay has some nice lots, you just have to look up series by names and you can find good stuff, from my experiences :)

That is, if you do want to start buying more books xD I have about....170+ in my collection (granted... I'm a second year in college and have been collecting since I was in 4th grade... some are gifts and stuff... and while I did spend a lot of money, I don't want it to seem like I bought them all at once or have a big fund for my silly hobby XD) In fact, I shit you not, my mom was at a recycling bin and found eighteen volumes of Ranma 1/2 on the top in a bag. A couple of them are pretty worn library editions, but most of them are in great shape! I don't know if you like going to the library or not, but I know my city has a HUGE manga collection. Last summer, I would order (about)30 (the max you can order) at a time online and pick them up when they all came in. Usually got them read in a week or two. Start the process over again xD I also have more time on my hands probably XD

While reading scanlations can hurt my eyes, and I do prefer actual books when reading anything, it's nice reading stuff I can't normally get like a lot of Junji Ito shorts, and recently I got into Bara no Tame ni, it's a weird shoujo but I'm really diggin it! :D

Manga magazines were also a good source of manga. It was usually around 35$-40$ for a year's worth delivered. I have every Shoujo Beat xD It used to be a birthday gift from my mom. But both SB and SJ I know stopped printing here :( We used to have more magazines....but they all seem to have disappeared :/ I know manga and anime were getting quite popular-ish in the US, do you think it's popularity is declining?

Hexon.Arq
07-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Das a lotta manga.

Manga magazines were also a good source of manga. It was usually around 35$-40$ for a year's worth delivered. I have every Shoujo Beat xD It used to be a birthday gift from my mom. But both SB and SJ I know stopped printing here :( We used to have more magazines....but they all seem to have disappeared :/ I know manga and anime were getting quite popular-ish in the US, do you think it's popularity is declining?

I would say its popularity is plateauing if it hasn't already, and it's the visibility that's declining. There's definitely an economic component to the decline. Some bad decisions were made. The boom of the early- to mid-2000s created a level of monetary growth that gave a lot of people in the industry the cojones to experiment with it, and a lot of those experiments failed. I remember when ADV was licensing a bunch of crap nobody wanted, supposedly based on the assumption that anime would only continue to grow and that people would buy it just because it was anime. Now that company doesn't exist except as Section 23, which is slowly, quietly rolling out a few carefully-chosen things with moderate success. The anime and manga industries are inseparably linked, and all the shit that happened to anime a couple of years back have only hit manga in probably the last year. Book publishing is a much harder game than digital media. I know I'm definitely consuming less of both, and the microcosm of my situation is probably also a reason for the decline: a lot of people have had to be tighter with their money, and have probably also seen most of what they'd wanted to see in the first place by now. When I first got into anime there were about a couple dozen things I was excited to check out. Now I own them and there are maybe one or two other things that pique my interest at any given time, if that. The buying public at large has likely burned out on anime, leaving only the most dedicated consumers to consume. It certainly doesn't help that nearly half of those consumers probably don't even buy anything.

yuzukelly
07-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I get what you're saying. And I agree with it. But anime is being made all the time, there is always something new, but yeah some people just get bored with anime as a whole. So much downloading and watching online(not on hulu or something, sites like those help, right? I can't afford to buy all the DVDs I want, obviously, but I do watch those sites with ads because I thought they helped then not XD) I do watch older anime or lesser popular anime on the kind of sites that don't run ads in the videos. My logic is, if I can't buy an English release, I am more guilt free XD especially manga, or anime that has not been released in the US. Some anime is just ridiculously price. The first Madoka DVD was like... something like 70$? It was 4 episodes and came with postcards and maybe a poster. That is CRAZY. For only 4 episodes...

but anyways! I came to post! I personally LOVE Tenchi Muyo, it's my all time fav. along with Utena, and Tenchi Universe is being rereleased this October! Better yet it's the entire series (26 episodes) for 40$! I don't think that's too bad for an entire series. Of course, if I didn't like it so much I probably wouldn't get it XP

http://www.otakustudy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tenchi-225x300.jpg

Tenchi Muyo! Universe – Box Set (DVD)
16th October 2012 | Hybrid Dub | $39.98 | 650 Minutes

In the beginning, there was Tenchi…..

Back when the only cure for an anime fix was a trip to the mall to load up on VHS tapes. Back when Toonami and Cartoon Network first introduced this amazing new genre to American fans. The times may have changed since those good old days, but we’re thrilled to be bringing Tenchi back! A true classic never goes out of style, and Tenchi is the original anime harem comedy the started it all.

Everyone’s favorite luckless hero is back for more intergalactic hijinks in Tenchi Universe, an alternate universe retelling of the original Tenchi canon. Seventeen-year-old Tenchi Masaki is a regular guy whose life takes a turn for the outrageous when Ryoko the stunning space pirate crashes at his grandfather’s shrine. In the bat of an eye, Tenchi finds himself surrounded by a bevy of bodacious intergalactic beauties who’ll do everything they can to make him late for class.

I think we're still waiting on word for Tenchi Muyo:Ryo Ohki OVAs 1 and 2. (The third one is advertised as "Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Ohki" because a lot of people don't use "Ryo Ohki" when referring to the originals. but they are all the same series, but the newer one just using RO is actually Tenchi Muyo:Ryo Ohki OVA 3, and it's available a lot of places, and for cheap. I hated it, but might pick up one with a tin when I have the money to).

Good old Tenchi promo for Toonami :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwTAYM7VsyY

yeah... I really like Tenchi Muyo :)

OH GOD I FORGOT TO MENTION, THIS YEAR MARKS IT'S 20TH ANNIVERSARY!!!! It's also Sailor Moon's anime, but I hope there is some Tenchi love!!! It totally deserves it!

twiggysrabies
07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I really adore Tenchi. I think Tenchi in Tokyo is my favourite season though. I do, however, love the movies, as well.

yuzukelly
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Good news if you are interested in the set XD It's 24$ for pre order! I'm going to soon. Here -> http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/LoGWvJXcNIHpYrPiB8/browse/item/95916/4/0/0

I love it too! Actually, Tenchi in Tokyo upset me XD I hate how he left all the girls and got a new girlfriend. It didn't help, when I first saw it I thought that it was a continuation, and he already had the bond with the girls he had from TU or TM XD

I love all the movies as well! They're all so good! My favorite of them is the last one, Tenchi Forever! :) It's so sweet, and spoiler(if you care, or want to see it and haven't XD) we finally know for a fact that he is in love in Ryoko ^___^ <3

Hexon.Arq
07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
I've never seen any Tenchi. Is it better or worse than that goddawful Love Hina TV series which it seems to nearly always be linked to in conversation? (LH was the third anime I ever saw and at the time I was enchanted by its oddness and thought it was the most original thing I'd ever seen. Nope.)

yuzukelly
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
I've never seen the LH anime, just read the first volume of the manga :s I thought it was cute, but I think I may be too biased because TM is my all time favorite anime (that and Utena... I am unable to decide :s) ;) I have seen people online say that TM is better (they're both harems so they are compared xD) but you can check it out for yourself if you would like: http://www.youtube.com/user/TenchiForum

That account has every episode in English of the OVAs(OVA1 and 2 are the best... I wouldn't watch the 3rd if you enjoy the first, it completely fucks everything up and ugh, a lot of fans don't care for it). It came out 10 year after the originals too. Just... ugh it's awful XD Also, Tenchi Universe is in there :) (TU was the tv series ^^) I don't think they have Tenchi in Tokyo, but they do have all three movies, and the Magical girl spinoff and a bunch of extra things. I really love this channel xD

(I'm trying to find a good summary...)

Ok here we go!

(from Anime News Network, from the page of the first OVA)

Tenchi Masaki was a normal 17-year-old boy until the day he accidentally releases the space pirate, Ryoko, from a cave she was sealed in 700 years ago as the people thought she was a demon. In a series of events, four other alien girls show up at the Masaki household as Tenchi learns much of his heritage he never knew about and deal with five alien girls who each have some sort of romantic interest in him.

Again, if you didn't see this video, it's a pretty accurate representation :) It adds all the series though and a special xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48IK73SnqhU&feature=related

twiggysrabies
07-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Tenchi in love was my favourite as well! I think Washyuu was my favourite character. Either her or Kiyone. Ryo-Oki is awesome too.

yuzukelly
07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Haha I love them all too XD Ryoko is my absolute favorite though (she is my all time favorite character in TM and in general, next to Jack Skellington) but I've grown to love all the girls (minus the ones from OVA 3 haha) because they're all so unique and add something great I think :D

Fun fact XD The "Yuzu" in my name comes from the demon in the second movie, Yuzuha.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/tenchi_the_movie_2/yuzuha.jpg

The Kelly is from Kelly Osbourne >_> In middle school, since I was fat then too and dyed my hair often, people compared me to her and I was obsessed with the character at the time, so one day someone called me that u_u; being 13 and first having a computer with the internet and getting into forums and social networking, I needed a moniker and that's all I could come up with :( I'm still awaiting a name change (My real name is Julia, and I just want my user-name to be that LOL) because yuzukelly is just so awful xD And I have always regretted using Yuzuha, even though I still like her, my love will always be with Ryoko. If I am named after any anime character, it should have been her. I do use "Ryoko" in my name on a couple other sites, but ugh XD I can not come up with something cute and catchy and unique to save my life XD So if any mods are reading and want to help me out...! ;0; just "Julia" haha XD

Hexon.Arq , I forgot to mention, LH is basically a romance comedy, right? TM has a decent amount of action in it. It is funny, and does have it's lovey dovey parts, there is quite a bit of action n_n

EDIT: Ordered my set :) Grand total of 26.99$ ^_^ Can't wait for it to ship! I hope Tenchi Muyo:Ryo Ohki comes out soon too, that and the movies(I need to buy a new copy of the movies too... if they release them, I will support Tenchi, it's my favorite series! If they don't, I'll just order them off of Amazon or something :)) and I will be set! I'm also collecting the manga, slowly at half price. I used to have No need for Tenchi 1~4, got them for 1$ a piece! but they were ruined :( The first manga I ever got, I let some girl borrow it and she never gave it back :( She then switched schools. Ugh >:( It was Volume 12 of No need for Tenchi. Right now, I currently only have volume 1 of The all new Tenchi Muyo! and Tenchi Muyo: Sasami Stories, not a lot, but thankful I have them ^_^

THANK YOU Funimation and The Right Stuf! XD <3

darluh
07-31-2012, 07:06 PM
its no secret that i hate anime

yuzukelly
08-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Anime comes in so many styles, aimed at so many different views with different types of stories. It's always been hard for me to see why people judge anime as being that way, because anime is the animation of an entire nation :) One can't tell me that Black Jack has the same look and has the same feel(and aimed towards the same audience) as Crayon Shin Chan for example^^ But a lot of people have seen Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon and think that that is all that anime, Japan's *entire* animation art form, has to offer. I guess if you don't like cartoons in general, maybe XD

If you don't like what you have seen, then I understand and certainly won't push anything on you because it's probably not worth your time to investigate. I don't expect everyone to like anime, of course, but hate is a strong word XD It inspired me to draw, which led me to take art more seriously than I probably would have. Despite not going to art school, I am pretty serious with art, so that's a little background on me:) Anime influenced that, and even now it brings me joy to read all sorts of new manga(manga is just the comics, anime=animation so those are the actual cartoons :)) and new anime by my favorite directors.

If you ever want to give it a chance, you can tell us your favorite genres and when you're bored you can check it out again ;)
http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.com/uploads/939604589_NanaOsaki05.jpg
http://www.comicsbulletin.com/main/sites/default/files/shot/images/0910/Uzumaki_2.jpg

Fun story. In high school, I had a teacher who LOVED Miyazaki films, but disliked anime. He actually did tell me that "Anime is that stuff like Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball. Miyazaki isn't really anime...". It really upset me at the time. Miyazaki's work are cartoons from Japan. THAT is what makes anime, anime! You can't pick and choose what you like and dislike, and label the stuff you like as "not really anime". :/

iggy
08-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Hmmm, I always thought anime was a particular style and tone, not just a country of origin. Although said country of origin is also a prerequisite.

Anywho, last night I watched all of Desert Punk. Good Stuff.

yuzukelly
08-01-2012, 11:26 AM
It is kind of weird, I think...If it comes from Japan and it's a cartoon, it is anime or manga. No exception for that, but there are works outside of Japan that are heavily manga or anime inspired, I would call them anime or manga (I've only seen a handful of "Avatar the last Airbender", but I would consider it anime because it's influenced by... I guess a "typical" anime look?). I love "Dramacon" by Svetlana Chmakova (finally learned how to say her last name LOL) and it's obviously manga influenced, and it's in graphic novel format (our comics for the most part are thiner, right?) and I call it manga.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/Dramacon.jpg/250px-Dramacon.jpg

but as for style and tone... My opinion (heck, I could be wrong xD but this is how I see it ^^) is that, there are so many styles and types of anime, it's harder to pinpoint common things that link all the series together.
http://animeafterlifepodcast.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/princesstutu.png
but I do see a lot of bigger eyes, and the shine on the hair is very "anime-ish" and the way the head is drawn. (Actually...now thinking about it... the way the head is drawn is really similar in anime, more so than the eyes and the hair... hmm...)

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31000000/Panty-and-Stocking-the-great-cartoon-race-31020383-460-500.jpg
I've never seen Panty and Stocking, but the style when I saw pictures for it at first, I thought it was some joint American made thing. Doesn't it look like something the creator of the Powerpuff Girls or Dexter's Lab would make?

http://moretta1987.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tumblr_li0m7jsv0u1qzdcgho1_400.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5pbehMmHT1r4xqamo1_500.jpg
I always thought Junji Ito was pretty unique :D It's a cartoon, but it's sort of realistic ^^

http://animeholicph.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/7-wallpapers-shin-chan.jpg
Shin chan XD

http://web.uni-frankfurt.de/fb10/jubufo/mangainfo/werke/bilder/ai/abb1.jpg

Looking at all these pictures... I think you are right with the tone thing... because...well they are Japanese XD Since they talk more about their culture, it's different.... Hmm... Maybe I can see a difference more because since it's the cartoons I enjoy the most and see so much... I don't know O_o but there are American comics that are manga inspired, but don't have that "look" or "feel", so maybe I'm being a hypocrite? I don't know... it's complicated huh XD I guess for American made stuff it is. but if it's from Japan, regardless of what it may look like it is Anime or Manga ^^

yuzukelly
08-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I've seen some Desert Punk! Never saw the whole thing, just like,maybe 1 or 2 DVDs at a sleep over once XD It was pretty funny!!! I enjoyed what I saw :D

Hexon.Arq
08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I have kind of a nebulous and vague definition of anime. Colloquially it's generally understood that to be anime, something must be: 1.) animated 2.) from Japan, and that's pretty what I take the term to mean. It's the reason that the term has come to carry that definition that is so abstract. In Japan, shows like "The Simpsons" and "South Park" and "Ducktales" are called anime because they are animated, "anime" being a truncated form of the English loanword "animeshon". So in essence the term "anime" as WE use it is a completely Western construct that carries no innate connotations of style or tone but is simply used to refer back to any animation that comes from Japan, however many have imbued the term with stylistic connotations based on stereotypical representations of Japanese cartoon styles, so as a result you have the term anime being used to describe manga (which is obviously NOT animated) based purely on its look. I personally don't actually have a rigid definition; being an anime fan over the course of several years puts you in constant contact with the term in all of its various usages, and you just learn to accept them and interpret the word based on context. I don't consider "Avatar: The Last Airbender" to be anime, as it's not from Japan, yet I also don't NOT consider it anime because 1.) it bears a lot of similarities with some Japanese animation both in appearance and in tone, and 2.) it's animated. One may as well let it pass; no harm can be done. The 21st century globalist jet set part of me is willing to bend far enough to let "Archer" be described as anime simply because it's animated and would be called that in Japan, though I wouldn't call it that off the top of my head. I guess my view is that the term "anime" exists primarily as a convenient categorizer which depends almost entirely on the views of the person or group that happens to be categorizing at any given moment in any given space.

tl;dr anime is all in your head.

kalim123
08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I reccomend Paprika & Kids on the Slope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja-FwMhKR2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzEW_eE1G0
Oh and tekkonkintreet!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWOCf1wNlk0

yuzukelly
08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Paprika! I LOVE Satoshi Kon!!! It's such a shame he passed away so young :( I do admit, I prefer Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers over Paprika though. The man is amazing though, I LOVE his works! The only think I have yet to see is Paranoia Agent. I need to watch it sometime... I watched Perfect Blue maybe... around a year ago? It was really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGrD5wUzKE
This trailer is such shit. After my best friend got into anime, she watched it online in English apparently. IT IS NOT OFFICIAL. The fan dub SUCKS. If you're going to find it online, watch it in Japanese, and this is coming from someone who prefers anime in English...I watched it to see what she was talking about because I had watched it years before and got the DVD from the library, there is no official English dub. This is my favorite film by him though. It makes me cry every time. It's so damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjmgSccMGQg
lol very unique movie :) LOVE THIS ONE TOO! It's free online on that Crackle site. This one has funny and sad moments... and the ending! XD Oh man. Wonderful movie. I need to get this on DVD sometime LOL

yuzukelly
08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
The first time I ever watched an anime that was being fansubbed as it was being released in Japan was Mawaru PenguinDrum last year. I LOVE Ikuhara! I was looking at a anime preview guide (I subscribe to emails from TokyoPop and it was theirs... Nerdist or whatever the heck it is) and I saw this and it looks right up my alley!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Q058zzmq0

It was actually really fun awaiting new anime every week, I think I might do that again with this anime if it retains my attention :> I actually forgot to watch Samurai 7 on Toonami last night! :'( I will next week and try to watch the first ep. somewhere. I WANTED TO WATCH EUREKA 7 TOO ;__; I have never seen it before.

Also, are there any fans of the Boys over Flowers anime? The drama was really popular at my high school because the Japanese teacher showed it(I didn't see it, I didn't watch it and I didn't have Japanese that year). I watched the anime years before in middle school and loved it. Every time I went to the library, the next DVD was waiting for me :) So cool lol

yuzukelly
08-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Tenchi in Tokyo is up! http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/DLgY-IwyULZh6N465v/browse/item/96145/4/0/0

I don't think I will buy it now (I'd rather buy the crappier OVA 3 with the cool tin and cool art work if I have the $$) but eventually I might. Tenchi in general has a special place in my heart. This series just upset me because.... he just leaves T_T I think I said it before, but when I first saw it in elementary school, I didn't understand it was a whole new series, with new back stories. I thought it was a sort of continuation, and him leaving the girls hurt. Even now, knowing what is right, it still upsets me :/

Funitmation also has a survey going on where you can win DVDs. I filled one out, hope I win lol! I typed a lot... haha

Scentless Apprentice
09-18-2012, 07:50 AM
I don't ever watch movies or shows often but last night I watched Akira and it kept me glued to the screen, thought it was amazing. Which led me to look for more anime and I just watched the first 4 episodes of Death Note. So far it is really good and i'm enjoying it. I think I found a new hobbie!

Zsa Zsa
09-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't ever watch movies or shows often but last night I watched Akira and it kept me glued to the screen, thought it was amazing. Which led me to look for more anime and I just watched the first 4 episodes of Death Note. So far it is really good and i'm enjoying it. I think I found a new hobbie!

If you liked Akira, you may want to try Ghost In The Shell. That shit is incredible, just like Akira.

Sixteen Saltines
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Just finished Samurai Champloo for the second time.

Watching D. Grey-man, not sure how I feel about it yet. Ehh.

Scentless Apprentice
09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
If you liked Akira, you may want to try Ghost In The Shell. That shit is incredible, just like Akira.

will do

yuzukelly
09-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Ah this made me really happy :'D I haven't seen the anime for Death Note, but I did read the manga- it's really good!

--

Sept. 25th was the 20th ANNIVERSARY FOR TENCHI MUYO!!!

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/6/20413.jpg

and my set for Tenchi Universe came in the day before that

http://www.rightstuf.com/cms/action/ItemDescription?ItemDescriptionTypeName=LARGE_IMAG E&LanguageIsoName=en&ItemName=fun04236

Right Stuf! just posted the movies and the OVA, but WOW..... they are expensive :x It might be best to pre-order them since they are cheaper, but wow I really don't have the $$$ now... They dropped the price to the pre-order price after the first Utena box was out for a while. Hopefully they will do the same here. I rarely buy this kinda stuff new, it's so darn expensive lol

HeartShapedAsses
10-04-2012, 11:42 PM
World Destruction Committee is a nice one, its light hearted and watchable with kids. But it also have a deep more mature meaning, on finding hope in a world of chaos. -Just finished it today, it's pretty short sadly, I would have liked to see a second season.

yuzukelly
10-05-2012, 04:39 PM
^I've never heard of that one :o

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJBb49hgVM

The first episode for this came out Monday in Japan and I watched a sub of it on Wednesday. It's cute! I've said this before, but since watching PenguinDrum, I really want to keep up with an anime being subbed weekly... it was so fun having to wait and having something to look forward to and not really being able to spoil it for myself :) I saw a preview for this from one of those TokyoPop newsletters and decided I would watch it :) I don't think I'd recommend it though unless you already like shoujo anime and bishi ;)

Scentless Apprentice
10-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Someone please recommend me some more anime. The list for anime can be quite extensive so i'm looking to narrow down the list. So far I have seen Akira, Ghost in a Shell, Animatrix and I think i'm half way through Death Note. Is there any that are considered "classic must see" anime?

yuzukelly
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Someone please recommend me some more anime. The list for anime can be quite extensive so i'm looking to narrow down the list. So far I have seen Akira, Ghost in a Shell, Animatrix and I think i'm half way through Death Note. Is there any that are considered "classic must see" anime?
I always thought Neon Genesis Evangelion was one of those "must see" animes, in fact, it was the only reason I watched it! lol I enjoyed it, you might wanna try that one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrFQu4p4U3I
Also, anime by Studio Ghibli, particularly Hayao Miyazaki. I would reccomend the movies Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress too :)

The most popular ones (at least here in the USA) I would probably say (besides Ghibli films) are Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and Pokemon :)

I personally really like Rurouni Kenshin, too *^^*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCACQbAMuZ8

yuzukelly
10-19-2012, 04:35 PM
GUYS!!! THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avp-KwMmZA8&feature=g-all-u

IT. Was. AWESOME! It's finally going to be available in the USA!! Ahhh~! :D

dvamp
10-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I love yu yu hakusho. Also I like Berserk and the wallflower.

yuzukelly
10-20-2012, 09:21 AM
^I've never seen Berserk, but I've read a liiiiittle bit of the manga :) I'm getting through the Wallflower manga too, I'm really liking it :)

I've been watching Kamisama Hajimemashita (and obvs I'm gonna be watching Rose of Versailles!!! :D) and there's a new one up every wednesday on the Funimation site, I hope they keep it free! It's on episode 3. Funi usually has the first 4 episodes for free.... I hope they show the whole series weekly like the Right Stuf! YT page does!
http://www.funimation.com/kamisama-kiss
http://www.funimation.com/sites/all/themes/funimation2//shows/kamisama-kiss/key-art.jpg

I have been starting more anime lately LOL My friend showed me this, apparently the original was boring(?) so for the English dub, they let the voice actors ad lib a lot, it really sounds like an abridged xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZCVo9hDgOw&feature=relmfu

dvamp
10-20-2012, 01:48 PM
mostly I read mangas. It is hard to find free animes web sites.

yuzukelly
10-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Check out these youtubes
http://www.youtube.com/user/nozomient
http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation

I watched all of the Dirty Pair earlier on Nozomi's channel, they take them down though so there's only a couple episodes available. If you follow them on twitter or fb, they will announce series and they will put each episode up for a couple weeks :)

Also these sites have anime:
http://www.crackle.com/c/Anime
http://www.hulu.com/tv/genres/anime
http://www.crunchyroll.com/

^Those are good sites because they show ads and stuff so the companies make money. If youre looking for the not so good ones, I watched Madoka on Anime Season before it was licensed for us~

twiggysrabies
11-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Please please please keep posting the videos of Rose of Versailles!!

yuzukelly
11-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I want to watch it too! D: Nozomi hasn't put the second episode up D: I have found it on those sketchy anime sites, I can post a link to those. I haven't watched it on those though lol. I heard it would be put online (I forget the site... something other than youtube but I read it would be put up this winter)... so I am waiting for news :(

EDIT:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-press-release/2012/09/12/right-stuf-inc-acquires-the-rose-of-versailles

"Also known as “Berusaiyu no Bara” and “Lady Oscar,” The Rose of Versailles will be released via Right Stuf’s Nozomi Entertainment as two limited-edition DVD box sets in 2013. The series will also be streamed, beginning in December 2012, and made available exclusively to fans in the United States and Canada on Viki (viki.com), as part of the site’s growing anime lineup. This will be the first time the entire anime series will be available to English-speaking audiences in North America. "

So http://www.viki.com/ ! I have never used this site before..... Oh man.... I can hear those box sets already whispering in my ear.... buy me Julia, buy me ! .... If I can LOL I really can't believe it has FINALLY been licensed.... BeruBara.... Tenchi...Utena..... I have been spoiled (Tenchi+Utena being my all time favorites).... Toonami is back...........It has just been such a great year lol I wonder if RuroKen will ever make a comeback. I REALLY want to see the live action movie!! I heard it's coming to the US but I haven't seen any dates!

EDIT AGAIN:

http://www.viki.com/channels/10630-the-rose-of-versailles/videos
http://otaku.ro/v2/media/1/20080113-anime18.jpg

yuzukelly
11-25-2012, 12:00 AM
I wish more people would talk about anime alas I am so excited and I know when people want to talk about it they will but I don't want to get my anime all over the board so I am trying to contain myself in this thread xD

So, who is into Friendship is Magic? I think I found a really big reference to my favorite anime, Revolutionary Girl Utena, in FIM. One of my best friends found this video, and I knew I was not the only one who noticed this LOL at first I thought it was the stairs, but seeing the way Twilight opens it up with the music from Utena (I'll post the Utena scene too, for comparison), it HAS to be Utena LOL No doubt in my mind someone working on that show likes Ikuhara :)

Friendship is Magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bRMDN149eIM

Revolutionary Girl Utena:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMBbf6mLJs

I have been really into the series Lupin III lately, and before I go into that, I saw this opening, near the end there are similar stairs (Also, Lupin and gang are in the elevator, in Utena, the second half of the series she ascends using an elevator that is located in the middle of the stairs that looks almost exactly like this one) and I know Lupin came first, and I have no idea why Ikuhara would reference Lupin, so I doubt this is one, but I still find it cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wokg8088pkk

If you have not seen the movie The Castle of Cagliostro, I recommend you do! Here is the link:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/219524
http://collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Collider_Contest_August_06/castle_of_cagliostro_dvd_cover_art.jpg

If you are a fan of Hayao Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli, it is a must! It was the first movie Miyazaki sensei directed. It was the first ever Lupin related thing I viewed and I loved it from the get go so I don't think prior knowledge of the series is too necessary. I watched it a couple years ago, but my friend mentioned it recently and I looked it up, saw one of the sweetest scenes and I have been obsessing over it lately LOL it actually kind of happened to me, so it made it extra special :)

I am watching the anime for it on Hulu, and they are VERY different Lupins LOL I still really like it and hope they post all the episodes!! :D
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qOiMmmberI4/Tbukmt1V98I/AAAAAAAAFFw/VXE25UjU0qg/s400/lupin-iii.jpg

yuzukelly
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
They're finally putting up more Rose of Versailles!!! First 5 episodes are up!!!

http://www.viki.com/channels/10630-the-rose-of-versailles/videos

yuzukelly
02-05-2013, 05:53 PM
ENGLISH TRAILER GET!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vfzhfq5JA

yuzukelly
05-13-2013, 10:08 AM
OMG GUYS I just finished The Rose of Versailles!!!! QuQ

http://www.rightstuf.com/rsstatic/comingSoon/rov789089jhfi-88u-11/images/the-rose-of-versailles-image.jpg

Heck, I think at this point, even *I* have a crush on Oscar, LOL! This series is really good. ;w;

yuzukelly
06-25-2013, 12:20 PM
This isn't really anime... but someone took a Junji Ito comic and made this cool video, they narrate it and make some of the pics move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBiKCFWcp_k

Have I posted this before? I'm not sure... but I thought it was so cool since I was on the topic of Junji Ito in another thread :D

yuzukelly
06-29-2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehjPz3TivrM&list=PLrrh84y760v9xDNuOiG6x1DsCG70LVQi7&index=20

I think they're putting up every episode of Utena, but I am really into this particular episode atm.

yuzukelly
07-03-2013, 10:15 AM
GUYS THE SWIMMING ANIME PREMIERS TODAY

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/d357bd5802baab5bdb2239e8f52a01ce1366984951_full.jp g

So, it's about a bunch of pretty boys in a swimming club. There was a 30 second commercial for this back in... March? but I'm not sure if it was an official project yet? It gained such a following, and now we have Free! Iwatobi Swim Club anime! (which people refer to as 'swimming anime' since we didn't have a title for a while :P lol) and here is the link to watch it:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/free-iwatobi-swim-club/episode-1-627937

from my posting of this, there's about 2 hours until it's on CrunchyRoll :)

Here's the original video in case anyone wants to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NqRG88E-s8

edit; I just checked crunchyroll, I think we need a subscription to watch it in 2 hrs. ? oh well, we'll get it eventually! :P

Alterkaker66
08-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Hmm, kinda surpised there isn't more interest in anime here. I like subbed over dubbed, storylines over continual battles and strong female characters are cool. Having said that, I think I saw most of Utena. The whole mystic person as sword sheathe was interesting. And a little kinky. My favorite movies are Ghost in the Shell and Kite. The best series I've seen lately (not sure how old it actually is) is Black Butler I and II. And I'm ancient enough to have seen on local tv the dubbed messes Kimba, Startroopers, Voltron, and Robotech. And loved them all.

yuzukelly
08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Utena is one of my all time favorites :) I started getting into it when I was 9 or 10, and it still makes me think and excites me to learn more about it.

I saw the Ghost in the Shell movie! :D I liked it! but I've never heard of Kite before. I read a little of the Black Butler manga and I think I saw the first episode? XD

I'm happy someone else finally took interest in my anime thread! XD <3

I've been reading the Princess Jellyfish and Attack on Titan manga :D

TheBornVillian89
08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
I just downloaded a torrent with all the episodes of Monster I have heard this anime is really good,I'm looking forward to watching it,has anyone watched this series before?

Alterkaker66
08-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Utena is one of my all time favorites :) I started getting into it when I was 9 or 10, and it still makes me think and excites me to learn more about it.

I saw the Ghost in the Shell movie! :D I liked it! but I've never heard of Kite before. I read a little of the Black Butler manga and I think I saw the first episode? XD

I'm happy someone else finally took interest in my anime thread! XD <3

I've been reading the Princess Jellyfish and Attack on Titan manga :D

I've really fallen out of the loop out here in redneck country. I used to go to the anime festival at JMU. And of course you could sit in Barnes and Noble and read manga all day as long as you bought some coffee or whatever. I had to go look at my dvd's to really remember what I've liked. Tenchi Muyo is a must. When Washuu pulls the 'hello little boy' act I lmao. Have you seen Ah, My Goddess? Same kind of premise. Fun stuff. I'll try to get back in anime mode and post more here.

Alterkaker66
08-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I just downloaded a torrent with all the episodes of Monster I have heard this anime is really good,I'm looking forward to watching it,has anyone watched this series before? I really like that series. It's twisted and tormented and you really have to hang in there and pay attention details. As in, I got lost once or twice.... But it's worth it. Has the same kind of feel as Lain, though not the same style. Hope you like it.

yuzukelly
08-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I haven't seen Monster but I hear good things, and it seems Alterkaker66 thinks so too :D

I LOVE Tenchi Muyo! My favorite anime besides Utena and Miyazaki's works. My favorite character (ever) is Ryoko :)

Oh, yeah! I am familiar with Oh My Goddess :) I have a movie (idk if there is just one or multiple movies? It involves Belldandy's former... instructor? and some sort of soul mate gate) and I have read a decent amount of the manga~ I love Urd xD

TheBornVillian89
08-07-2013, 07:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQNqO2gaWA

Alterkaker66
08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Dang, that remake of "Immigrant Song" on the Monster trailer kicks! Makes me wanna dig out the old Led Zep albums.... But to the subject at hand. Finally remembered the name of the manga/anime that played on the Ranma1/2 theme. It's Fruits Basket. Ok, I like yaoi. Ack, don't throw things! Also found the Sailor Moon movies subbed to be lots more fun than the US releases. (yuzukelly- loved the picture, just not sure about those skinny legs in a skirt...heheheh)

Alterkaker66
08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Elfen Leid. Where the hell the name came from I don't know. It's dark and lovely with some really nice character design. I highly reccomend it.

Alterkaker66
08-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Just finished watching season 1 of Ghost Hunt. The ensemble cast is fairly basic, it's the stories that impress. The internal logic stays consistent and some of the cases are creepy. I especially like the fact that there is no flashy theme song, no stock fight or transformation scenes. Really, no time fillers except some extended discussion of terms for differenct spirits and procedures to exorcise them. There is comic relief in some flirting and chibi moments when someone gets aggravated. All in all, it stands up well. I would definitedly reccomend it.

Scentless Apprentice
12-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Well I finally got around to finishing Death Note. Started the series over a year ago but never got around to completing it. It seems as though when you tell an anime fan that you are watching Death Note they jump right out and say that L dies. It's already been mentioned in this thread so I guess no spoilers by me mentioning it. I thought it was a good show. I'm also caught up on Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. Now this series drags on and on but I'm not really complaining because I enjoy it. I think the Akatsuki are pretty cool. Sasori, Deidara, Itachi, Pain and Tobi are my favorite characters.

Alterkaker66
01-13-2014, 08:54 AM
I watched Princess Jellyfish. I know, really huh? But who can resist a house full of crazy otaku chicks and a cross dresser. It was fun. Watched the first season of K. A lot of stock ideas but some interesting characters. More watchable than T&A jiggle fests. There is a season 2 in the works for this spring. I like subbed better than dubbed and Netflix is seriously disapointing me on that.

yuzukelly
01-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Oh man, I've been keeping up with the Princess Jellyfish manga (I've read all the scanlations available at the moment). It's SO good! I saw it's on netflix. I should watch it... but Welcome to the NHK is higher on my list currently : >

Alterkaker66
01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Oh man, I've been keeping up with the Princess Jellyfish manga (I've read all the scanlations available at the moment). It's SO good! I saw it's on netflix. I should watch it... but Welcome to the NHK is higher on my list currently : >
I've got to find a better source for scans (Will you PM or post yours in my visitor log?) because the manga tend to differ from the anime. Welcome to the NHK sounds good. Hope I can find it as well.

yuzukelly
01-15-2014, 05:17 PM
FOR TENCHI MUYO FANS

The new doujinshi "-If'-" ...

TENCHI'S DAUGHTERS ASDFGHJKL;'

http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1149&p=21645

Alterkaker66
01-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Isn't it a shame that American doujinshi usually degenerates into un-illustrated web based personal fantasy blogs? Back in the Robotech days I would have loved to have seen a more thoughtful, less product driven, version that made sense of the patched together stories. THe books stank. I guess it's a matter of copyrights here?

yuzukelly
01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_1rbcjevPA&sns=tw

Scentless Apprentice
02-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I just got the Cowboy Bebop Remix complete collection dvd set. I haven't seen any of it yet so please no spoilers like "oh by the way L dies."

GODEATGOD
02-07-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't watch much anime but I do like some tv shows and movies. My favorite anime series is Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Compex. Motoko Kusanagi is a total badass. I also like Deadman Wonderland and Cowboy Bebop. My favorite anime movies are Perfect Blue, Blood The Last Vampire and Akira. Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust are really cool too.

Halo Infinity
02-07-2014, 02:36 PM
I actually still like some anime, and I was just wondering about this now. Do most people prefer to collect the mangas over the DVDs? (Even if money was not being a major issue for those things?)

As for my favorite anime shows aside from Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT, I've noticed that I still like the following shows and hope to get them on DVD in the long run. Do you like, or still like any of these anime shows yuzukelly?

I'm just curious, as you seem to be undeniably the biggest anime buff here. I'm actually not much of an anime buff myself these days, but I still like these shows.

Outlaw Star
Tenchi Muyo!
The Slayers
Samurai X or Rurouni Kenshin

And I also remember seeing this in the Philippines a VERY LONG time ago in 1997, but I still think it's a very good show despite what little I've seen of it.

Zenki

Oh yes. I almost forgot to mention Sailor Moon altogether. I suppose it's okay to me as of now, but I still got to give Sailor Moon credit for introducing me to anime. And from what I recall, I also saw Sailor Moon before Dragon Ball Z... even though I've ironically heard of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z first. (As I live in NYC, but also went to an elementary school where the majority of students were Asian, and go figure that some of them didn't originally come from the USA.)

Alterkaker66
02-08-2014, 10:37 AM
My favorite anime movies are Perfect Blue, Blood The Last Vampire and Akira. Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust are really cool too.
Some of my favorite movies as well. If you haven't seen the Ghost in the SHell movie check it out. Completely different vibe, dark and beautiful. I'd also recommend Elfen Lied and Monster. Happy watching!

Halo Infinity
02-08-2014, 04:27 PM
I just thought of posting the URL to Anime Castle here. You can order anime merchandise online from the site, and it's been an anime hot spot in NYC for quite some time.

http://www.animecastle.com/

yuzukelly
04-22-2014, 06:36 AM
The International Studio Ghibli twitter posted some images from When Marnie was There

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl1CQdVCAAAI8Qn.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlzmhZcCAAE39Df.jpg

yuzukelly
05-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Got some anime news!

I guess first on the block, if you haven't heard already, Sailor Moon is back! New episodes will be coming in the summer and the original anime is also being re-released!

You can watch episodes as they appear here> http://www.viz.com/anime/streaming/sailor-moon

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/1/15812/281511-sailor_moon_title_screen__dic_entertainment__super .jpg

Also, Tenchi Muyo is getting a new series! 50 episodes at 5 minutes each.

Read more here> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-26/new-tenchi-muyo-series-announced-to-promote-tourism/.74909#yRg8FjDZDSSsE87i.01

http://cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/news/74909/tenchi.jpg

Alterkaker66
05-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Hulu is showing the Sailor Moon eps. but between the commercials and tiny subtitles I'm not too keen on it. It is nice to see the complete story for once. I had the movies in sub wayyyy back and they were so much better than the American version.

yuzukelly
05-30-2014, 05:50 PM
^I hear they're totally redubbing the episodes in English! I'm not sure if they'll put those online, though.

I don't think I've sat all the way through a movie in Japanese, but Luna's voice always got me. She's supposed to be a younger ?? I always imagined her waaaay older because of her English voice (idk, that's how it came off to me...) so I was like, whoa! Not that it's a bad thing, just how different they were surprised me!

My favorite of the movies was the Hearts in Ice one :) My favorite anime director, Kunihiko Ikuhara, actually directed the Promise of the Rose movie (that I so lovingly refer to as the "gay alien movie" lol) :)

The ending themes were always so nice. Moonlight Deeeestinyyy~!♫♫

Alterkaker66
05-31-2014, 09:31 AM
It's the difference in the character voices that make me partial to subbed. The Japanese cultural stereotypes are fascinating. I love the 'Yankee' girls. Dubbed just doesn't have the same feel to it. The Tenchi Muyo shorts look fascinating. Can you imagine an American city financing a cartoon campaign for tourism? -Although most of our tourism is a cartoon when you think about it.....-

yuzukelly
06-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I get what you mean :>>>

and LOL! I think that'd be super cool, since I love cartoons, but yeah XD

--

I don't know if I posted this before LOL but may as well add it since I'm in the thread; The Castle of Cagliostro is going to be re-released in the US!

https://31.media.tumblr.com/cc03d6c24a9a09ea5a1b139431225403/tumblr_n4d2fjfOXl1s5zj2eo2_250.gif

Not sure if I am gonna double dip, but I am tempted! It can be viewed online here> http://www.hulu.com/watch/219524

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-26/discotek-to-release-lupin-iii/the-castle-of-cagliostro-film-on-bd/dvd

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-02/lupin-iii/the-castle-of-cagliostro-remaster-trailer-compares-quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYGfRDmmba8

Cringeon
06-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Started Attack on Titan today, decent so far. I haven't watched anything new in a long time. I tried the Tenchi GXP and War on Gemini but didn't like them at all. Anyone recommend any newer series?

yuzukelly
06-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I hear very good things about Attack on Titan, it's also extremely popular right now. I read the first 5 volumes of the manga, I enjoyed what I read!

I'm a *huge* Tenchi fan. GXP was a let down and I haven't seen WOG (and have no interest to, I don't think it follows the main girls and Tenchi?). The first two OVA's are the best imo, the third one was also a giant let down. Universe is good, and also the three moves (Tenchi Forever is the best one!).

Cringeon, how do you feel about magical girls? Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is amazing. It's 12 episodes and it's from 2011, hopefully recent enough :) It also has really good reviews. It's nothing like what you would probably expect from a magical girl series. The end of the third episode really got me to keep going, so to make a better judgement I would say try to at least make it to the end of the 4th episode. I dropped it initially because I wasn't impressed with the first episode but I was *so glad* I decided to watch it again in its entirety.

The ending has a better feel for the series than the op! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eb4ONZw01Y

Alterkaker66
06-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Deep dark confession- I watched Full Moon O Sagashite and liked it. A lot.

yuzukelly
06-05-2014, 04:08 PM
I READ LIKE HALF OF THE MANGA FOR FULL MOON AND WAS REALLY ENJOYING IT AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I STOPPED BUT ALTER THAT MAKES ME HAPPY TO HEAR :'D <3

Also, Sailor Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ

Alterkaker66
06-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Anyone who like K will probably like Noragami. It's got a much smaller cast and objective but still manages to avoid the standard fight the villain and jiggle joke anime. Coppelion just plain lost me. It was a good idea and some great art, but just too much thrown at you to make it gel. I get bio-engineered searchers for lost humans in a radioactive zone, but long legged schoolgirls in short uniform skirts? Oy.

yuzukelly
06-22-2014, 02:11 PM
^Kind of reminds me about how I felt about High school of the Dead.

GKids is releasing The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness in North America! The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is a Studio Ghibli documentary :D

http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/img8/DreamsandMadnessGhiblidocfullimg1.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/gkids-to-release-the-kingdom-of-dreams-and-madness-ghibli-doc/

Cringeon
06-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Really enjoyed The Wind Rises. An interesting perspective of war time with Germany. Only watch the subbed, might give the dub a chance later on.

yuzukelly
07-02-2014, 10:38 AM
^I haven't seen the subbed, but I will once I get my hands on the DVD:> the dub was really nice.

I just watched the first episode of the second season of Free!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/e65f29e730d8590a21edbde23a57bbda/tumblr_n83hmi4y6a1s927pho1_500.png

The ending was super cute!

I'm also looking forward to the new Sailor Moon, which... I think comes out this... saturday is it?

Cringeon
07-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Yeah Crystal is this weekend. Just started Fate Zero, seemed like a popular one from what's on Hulu right now.

yuzukelly
07-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Will you be watching it? :> I actually honestly feel mixed on the trailer I saw. I am so-so on the animation look... like, I LOVE Takeuchi's art... I don't know, some things look weird, some things look cool. Can't actually judge it until I see it ^_^

Ah, I've heard of that one but haven't seen it. You should report back with that series too on if you like it or not:>

Cringeon
07-02-2014, 09:04 PM
I'll check it out, I actually watched the Sailor Moon R straight through a few months back so rewatching that story line might be weird. I kinda dig the animation though, reminds me a bit of the manga but the original series wasn't that far off to begin with - just a little more round and cute. I wonder if they'll do anything besides the first series.

So far Fate Zero is pretty good, but only like 2 eps in. Will report back when I get a little further into it :)

yuzukelly
07-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Ahhh, R, and the movie I believe, were directed by one of my favorites, Kunihiko Ikuhara (who created the Utena series I am constantly talking about LOL) ! <3;w; I love his work a lot, and actually, there were a few times that the new Crystal episode reminded me a lot of Utena (Well, some Utena visuals).

I don't know if they'll go past the first part.... I think I read somewhere that it's only 24 or 26 episodes.

but I just watched it this morning-it's ok. I didn't dislike it overall. I don't really know what else to say at the moment, because that's basically how I felt for this episode XD Not bad or especially great. but it's ok.

--

The trailer for When Marnie was There!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAjMGl1mJg

Always excited for anything Ghibli!

Scentless Apprentice
08-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Just watched My Neighbor Totoro. Great movie/anime.

yuzukelly
08-10-2014, 06:42 PM
^YES IT IS! :D

iggy
08-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Everything with Studio Ghibli's name attached is pretty awesome, if wildly nonsensical.

Been watching Sword Art Online. Wolf Children was super sweet. Summer Wars was pretty meh, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was awesome. Watching Steamboy later today.

yuzukelly
08-12-2014, 11:29 AM
I really enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time! I want to read the book eventually. I haven't seen Wolf Children but I REALLY want to. I was reading the manga (haven't finished it) but I was really liking it.

Steamboy was very good! My high school art teacher loaned it to me (he was a cool guy :>).

iggy
08-12-2014, 12:52 PM
I had to scratch Steamboy, I very much prefer English versions (heresy, I know) and my rip was subtitled. I watch anime because it's absolutely stunning to look at, not to read a ridiculous short story. The amount of detail in something like Ponyo is incredible, and reading subtitles subtracts from it's inherent beauty.

I very very much prefer Anime in a film format. I can't even begin to tell you how many series I've dropped because the premise wears thin.
Watching Kiki's Delivery Service right now.

yuzukelly
08-12-2014, 02:20 PM
^I agree 100% about the subtitle thing. I'm a HUGE anime fan, but prefer dubs over subs. I think I may have already spoken about my own preference earlier in the thread XD I mean, I've seen quite a few where the Japanese cast is much better with their voice acting, but I love looking at the artwork of the show/movie, and sometimes for me I have to re-read things or I might miss something, or just reading it takes away from me focusing on the art. I have made exceptions for a few series(ones where I've had a choice I mean), but for the most part I usually just watch dubs. and Disney always does a good job for dubs on Ghibli films. The only one I wasn't so happy with was Porco Rosso. Whoever did Porco's voice sounded so.... I-don't-care-about-this-role :/

Kiki's is fantastic! I have fond memories of watching it on Fox (when I didn't have cable television) on a lovely sunday afternoon when I was much younger... Have you seen all of Miyazaki's works? You can't really go wrong with him.

iggy
08-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Not all of, but most. I really don't want to see The Wind Rises. I don't want to admit that his retirement might stick this time :(

FuckmanQ
08-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Mushi-shi is really damn good. Haven't finished it yet though.

yuzukelly
08-14-2014, 09:27 AM
iggy - Ohhh, you have to see it! It did really hit me at the end that it was the end, though. I mentioned this before but there are tons of references to things being -final-, totally obvious each time. BUIT'S SUCHAGOODMOVIEEEE! The only movies I wouldn't recommend seeing from Ghibli is Ocean Waves(or I can hear the Sea) and Earthsea. If you haven't seen those already... yeah...

Gondule - Haven't seen that either! I have a friend who used to be really into it though

Alterkaker66
08-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Watching the original Sailor Moon on Hulu, which uses tiny hurt my eyes subtitles. Thank goodness it's only two episodes a week!

Scentless Apprentice
08-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Spirited Away. Awesome film. Kind of like Totoro. Didn't make much sense but amazing.

Cringeon
10-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Got around to starting Sword Art Online. About half way thru the first season but liking it so far.

Vertigo
10-19-2014, 01:17 PM
I love Howl's Moving Castle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro1Jwk7pqeE

and Ghost in the Shell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15il5mmlpmE

yuzukelly
01-28-2015, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvyg6gsARlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C6VYxIhqcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9cMvxkOHY

Scentless Apprentice
02-22-2015, 03:19 AM
Attack on Titan.

FuckmanQ
02-22-2015, 03:35 PM
finished Elfen Lied, it was alright but REALLY annoying in spots.

Vertigo
02-23-2015, 07:31 AM
finished Elfen Lied, it was alright but REALLY annoying in spots.

I was thinking of buying Elfen Lied at a discount shop. What annoyed you?

FuckmanQ
02-23-2015, 08:49 PM
I was thinking of buying Elfen Lied at a discount shop. What annoyed you?

Idk just the way the Nyu chick was portrayed in certain spots. It was obvious it was there to give the Japanese viewers boners and the countless weaboo's to slave over her and masturbate on a daily basis. Just seemed needlessly exploitative. I loved the action and the story but when it came to that stuff it just got on my nerves. SPOILERS! Then there was the scene where the kids killed the dog...that really bothered me.

yuzukelly
05-27-2015, 05:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h_gjg98FIo

spaceSuicide
05-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Been buying blu-rays of a lot of anime. I recently bought Attack on Titan Volumes I and II, Black Butler's First Series and the first season of one of my favorite anime, Yu Yu Hakusho.