PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cruel World ... Tour [109]: Dec 21 2012 - Sport Palace - Minsk, Belarus

Norsefire
08-13-2012, 07:22 PM
21 December 2012
Venue: Sport Palace

www.marilynmanson.com

Members Attending:

Benjamin
08-15-2012, 05:48 AM
http://lenta.ru/news/2012/08/15/warn/

Belorussian politics warned Manson about his behavior on stage in Minsk.

Norsefire
09-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Looks like this show may have been moved to Dec 21... unless they're doing two shows? MM.com still says Dec 22, but this ticket site is saying Dec 21 http://www.ticketpro.by/jnp/en/music/928037-maralyn-manson.html

Norsefire
12-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I woke up this morning thinking about the world ending on Dec 21 and remembered Manson's last show of the year is also on Dec 21! Reminded me of this quote of his from Kerrang! in 2007 - "I have a responsibility to make the music loud again, so that we won't hear the world coming to an end"

The Wax Gentleman
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
You know what would be great? If he played "The Last Day on Earth" during this show... But wait, a setlist change? LOLnope

Scorpion
12-20-2012, 10:57 PM
/\
I want the numbers of a brazillian lottery named ''mega-sena''.

The Wax Gentleman
12-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I feel like this is an obvious joke I should get, but that didn't make any sense.

Norsefire
12-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I didn't get it either.

Anyway, no updates yet for this show?

Para-Noir
12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz2cKfY4g_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsdNQNkYEew

Norsefire
12-21-2012, 05:41 PM
I just saw this on Setlist FM, I see the video above confirms The Last Day On Earth was played again. :D

But this setlist doesn't contain The Love Song.

Hey, Cruel World...
Disposable Teens
No Reflection
mOBSCENE
The Dope Show
Slo-Mo-Tion
Rock Is Dead
Personal Jesus
(Depeche Mode cover)
The Last Day on Earth
(Acoustic version, second time … more)
Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
(Eurythmics cover)
Coma White
King Kill 33°
Antichrist Superstar
The Beautiful People
Irresponsible Hate Anthem

Scorpion
12-21-2012, 06:16 PM
He predicted Last Day On Earth. So I wanted him to predict for me the numbers for lottery (I don't know, here we mark the numbers we want, then it comes out like 01 04 15 24 49 60, whoever marked those, wins). I shall make no jokes in tour dates threads. :(

Cognitive Cue
12-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Professional pics from MM gig in Minsk - http://generation.by/doc14-670.html
Alas, I wasn't at the gig. It is interesting that the red stripe on MM's face gets a whole new meaning in Belarus. It reminded many (including the author of the article I posted a link to) the forbidden Belarusian white-red-white flag, which is used by the opposition to the authoritarian Lukashenka regime. Lukashenka has ruled Belarus for more than 18 years and is often called the last dictator in Europe.

AssetReign
12-22-2012, 12:46 AM
^ Continuing in that same vein, from what I understand there was no Bible tearing or Pope costume.

Cognitive Cue
12-22-2012, 02:57 AM
^ Continuing in that same vein, from what I understand there was no Bible tearing or Pope costume.

My friend who was at the concert says there was no Bible tearing, MM was even forbidden to cuss, not sure whether he followed the orders though. The sound was crappy. Just nonalcoholic drinks were sold at the venue. The concert continued for about an hour. That's what my friend says.

Wow, that must have sucked.

Hazekiah
12-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Well, if that's true, he was at least able to sing the profanities within the song lyrics.

And, hell, they got THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsdNQNkYEew

Looks like a pretty fucking good show to ME!!!

:D

Cognitive Cue
12-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Here's an article about Manson's appearance in Belarus - http://www.svaboda.org/content/article/24805952.html.
The article is quite critical but I think it might be interesting for some of you to know how Manson spent the infamous December 21 :).
The translation from Belarusian is mine, sorry for mistakes if any. It's funny how much has been written in Belarusian media about Manson's famous red face paint. This is just one article out of several. So enjoy :)

http://gdb.rferl.org/53820EA4-56AF-4A18-A313-12CDD5B77804_mw1024_n_s.jpg

American notorious band Marilyn Manson gave its first and only concert in Minsk, Belarus. Although the sound did not meet even the minimal standards and the show turned out to be rather modest, the singer traditionally left food for discussions. In particular, the viewers are guessing whether it was by accident or Manson deliberately painted a red stripe on his face so that it resembled a white-red-white flag (n.b.: the flag is banned by the authoritarian Lukashenka regime in Belarus).

Marilyn Manson’s concert raised a serious stir in Belarus. First, long before the concert, the band leader Brian Hue Warner unambiguously stated that he would like to give a concert in hell, which led his fans to conclude: Belarus is the right place for that. Second, December 21 was the date when the highly publicized end of the world had to happen and what is a better way to spend it than to vanish into the eternity to the sound of American rockers with beyond-the-grave themes – isn’t it an ideal option?

However, the anticipation for something supernatural was fruitless. More earthly problems for the audience began before the concert itself.

At 20:00 sharp, when the gig had to start, a very long queue was still standing in front of Minsk Sport Palace. Each customer was searched by the police, the examination took 40 minutes longer. The delay was also inside the building when people queued for half an hour to leave their winter clothes at the cloakroom. Those who came with oversized cameras were turned around and sent outside to leave cameras in a makeshift storage set up inside a bus.

The performance started without any warm-up. Nearly an hour later than announced , Manson appeared and the following 60 minutes wallowed at the stage not caring much about hitting the notes while singing. The sound quality was more reminiscent of mono rather than stereo. The fans, who paid 100 U.S. dollars for a ticket, complained that the quality hardly matched the price tag.

Reporter: “How was the show?”

An audience member: “The show is great? Not really!”

The stage was traditionally themed like a cemetery, where 44-year-old Manson, aka Brian Hue Warner, was the master. Once in a while, the singer changed his costumes but unchanged remained the red stripe horizontally painted on his face. It was as if the performer showed his respect for the audience by decorating himself with a white-red-white banner.

However, there was no possibility to learn the motives behind the color gamut: the concert ended just as suddenly as it started. Hopes for encore failed. The audience was sincerely surprised:

“Did I come too late? Did the concert start at 8PM sharp?”

“No, nearly at 9…”

“Oh, wait, it went on for just an hour?”

“Yep, these guys are total bush-leaguers.”

“What did you expect? I guess you paid too little.”

“They must have thought the end of the world would begin and they wouldn’t have to perform at all…”

Meanwhile, the special police force kept the audience in check. Unsanctioned dancing between the rows was being immediately stopped, sometimes even violently.

Fan: “Do they understand what kind of concert they are at? This is no philharmonic theater where the audience is supposed to sit quietly so as not to interfere with the performance! The policeman told me several times that, if I wouldn’t quiet down, he would take me away. I even asked him whether he would take others away, too. The policeman grumbled, “I’ll find the way to calm you down” and went away. Whom was I disturbing? I didn’t wallow on the floor. Crazy!”

The chairman of the Public Morals Council Nikolai Cherginets vigorously opposed the Marilyn Manson concert in Belarus. The former police general asserted that “comrade Manson” would be informed that he would have to answer according to the Belarusian laws if he dares to do what he usually does on stage. And he would have to consider that during his performance. It is unknown whether “comrade Manson” actually followed those recommendations but the audience did not see any lewdness during the gig. However, what would Cherginets’ council say about the white-red-white face of the notorious rocker?

Note from me: White-red-white banner is used by the Belarusian opposition to protest the dictatorial Lukashenka regime. Lukashenka has ruled Belarus for more than 18 years and he is often referred to as the last dictator in Europe.

Hazekiah
12-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks for translating all that!

Pretty interesting stuff. It seems like his make-up that night might've possibly been coincidental but I sincerely hope he DID do it like that especially for this particular show as a giant FUCK YOU to The Man. Seems like they definitely deserve it.

It's a shame to see so much complaining in the article, too. It certainly looked like everyone in the crowd was enjoying themselves! The performance and the acoustics actually seemed pretty great on the YouTube videos, too...and frankly it sounds like the people of Belarus were extremely fortunate the show was allowed to happen in the first place.

Scorpion
12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
/\
Right? On videos, people were jumping insanely and going nuts. Seems like another show.

Cognitive Cue
12-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Yeah, most probably the show was not bad at all. But I can buy that the sound quality was poor, as it was done by the local team, I assume.

MissZombilicious
12-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Thank you for the translation. I guess people really expected a longer show for 100 UsDollars (which probably is a lot of money for them) and I can understand that. And I don't think it's Manson's fault that the sound-guys fucked up. If there were people dancing (and from the videos) the concert really couldn't have been too bad. It's pretty scary that the police was inside the building and treated the audience like terrorists just because they were dancing. I laughed really hard at the "comrade Manson" haha. I still think it's amazing that Manson actually had the guts to play in Belarus, not many Western artists go there and it must have been a real treat for the Belarus alternative community.

NapalmHeart
12-23-2012, 04:35 AM
16 songs / approx. 80 minutes show is average for a Manson show. People get disappointed when they expect a guy cutting himself on stage, or a 3 hour show, or whatever the hell, of course. They basically got the full Twins of Evil production + an encore + a rare song, and all that delivered by a great sounding band and Manson in top form, so I don't know what could have been disappointing from a fan's perspective.

Media always gives Manson bad live reviews. I've just ordered a bunch of magazines with Manson articles in it, and the first live review from 1996 is bad (he tries too hard to be shocking), the one from 1998 is bad (he's not as shocking as last time), the one from 2001 is bad (1998 was more glamorous), etc...

Hazekiah
12-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Anyone care to translate the Manson protest flyers in Minsk?

http://euroradio.fm/files/108734.jpg

12-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Oh fucking come off it. It's never Manson's fault, is it? The show most likely sucked hard ass and he most likely mumbled his way through the set like he has done for A LOT of shows on this tour and the ones before.

Some of Manson's shows on this tour have been great, others have been a complete sloppy, shameful fucking embarrassment so let's keep that in mind as well before blaming media/the fans for being ungrateful because that is just seriously ridiculous. Marilyn Manson is currently by no means a solid band that plays great shows night after night and there is a very serious fluctuation of quality between shows.

I cant believe it. People report that Manson plays a bad show and it's the sound guys fault, the audience expected too much. FUCK OFF. He just fucking SUCKED. Maybe the next show will be better.

NapalmHeart
12-23-2012, 06:03 AM
No need to get personal and tell me to fuck off, especially since you haven't been at the show yourself either. I just said that by personal experience, the only people who said they didn't like the show, were the ones who had wrong expectations. I've heard friends say they liked the Grotesk Burlesk show but they were disappointed because Manson didn't cut himself on stage, for example.

12-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Your friends are sissies, Captain.

I didn't mean the fuck offery against you, sir. I apologise. I was attempting to convey frustration.

Hazekiah
12-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Actually, all the best quality recordings to surface so far show a pretty strong performance on all fronts with Manson's vocals crisp and clear on top of a nice full mix in front of a highly enthusiastic and appreciative audience...so there's that, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_fMZgspMcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNClAAnMRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJCjbwOMoac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOm2HhwMjkk

Hell, even the one song I can find that they messed-up a little only has a brief flub that's quickly and smoothly corrected on the fly before the song's back in full swing and kicking ass again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4bBvs-c1RY

So from what I can see it seems like whoever was interviewing the crowd about the show afterward just found a bunch of bitchy assholes who happened to be in a bad mood for whatever reason. Always at least a few in any crowd, I guess.

Did you see the performance of "The Last Day on Earth" from this show on the previous page, btw?

Between this night's version and the one you were fawning over the night before, I personally feel that the one at this show was hands-down the superior performance.

Just wondering.

12-23-2012, 06:58 AM
I stand corrected and NapalmHeart, I'm sorry!

Wormboy96
12-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Looks like a pretty good show, And as always Manson fucked up mOBSCENE...

MissZombilicious
12-23-2012, 07:31 AM
OMG, Kollaps admitted he was wrong and that he's basically a whiny ass. Ha! No, sorry. Just had to say that because I was pretty surprised that you changed your mind lol. I actually find this show superior to the show that I have seen in Stockholm in the beginning of this month. Thanks for posting the videos Hazekiah :)

12-23-2012, 08:05 AM
I really do try very hard to be fair but it just sounded like another case where people mindlessly defend Manson despite the quality of his shows because they really, really are hit and miss these days. But yeah, sorry again for jumping the gun.

Tigger
12-23-2012, 12:18 PM
If Belarus is under control of a dictatorship than most likely their media is controlled and filtered by the same regime so no surprise any media reviews of this show would be about how shit it was. Especially since Manson's make up seemed to have caused the most stir of the tour thus far! xD

NapalmHeart
12-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I never mindlessly defend Manson. When I "defend" Manson (I don't even like that word, because I just say and write things how I see them, no matter if it's in Manson's defense or not), it's really because I don't think what he did was bad or as bad as it's reported in the media.

I accept your apology, Kollaps, and I've said it before, I usually enjoy reading your posts and I'm not taking anything personal. In this case what I read about the show and what I saw on YouTube just didn't go together.

What I still don't know about the show is if The Love Song was played or not, and if not, it'd be interesting to know why.

Norsefire
12-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I saw a photo of Manson dressed up for The Love Song on Facebook... said it was from this show, but you never know if that's right. I haven't seen any videos.

Cringeon
12-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Technically it isn't the pope, right? It really sounds like the show went off as normal, just the media wanted to paint it black.

Cognitive Cue
12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Anyone care to translate the Manson protest flyers in Minsk?

http://euroradio.fm/files/108734.jpg

Here's a translation:

We are against the concert of satanist and pervert Marilyn Manson on December 21 in Minsk.

Write protest letters to Minsk mayor Nikolai Ladutsko, Nezalezhnasti Ave, 8.

Marilyn Manson is an american singer propagating in his songs and concerts anti-christianity and satanism (he is also a member of the Church of Satan), abolishment of boundaries between sexes (androgynity), homosexuality, pedophilia, and other perversions, violence, animal abuse, nazism, drug use.

If you don’t want this filth on our soil, write letters of protest!

Heather Quick
12-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Here's a translation:

We are against the concert of satanist and pervert Marilyn Manson on December 21 in Minsk.

Write protest letters to Minsk mayor Nikolai Ladutsko, Nezalezhnasti Ave, 8.

Marilyn Manson is an american singer propagating in his songs and concerts anti-christianity and satanism (he is also a member of the Church of Satan), abolishment of boundaries between sexes (androgynity), homosexuality, pedophilia, and other perversions, violence, animal abuse, nazism, drug use.

If you don’t want this filth on our soil, write letters of protest!

hahaha, gotta love these things. Feels like 90's again! :D

Cognitive Cue
12-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Here's another article about Manson's appearance in Minsk, Belarus - http://budzma.org/news/marlyn-manson-yakiya-tut-revalyucyi-kali-tak-shmat-sneha-fotarepartazh.html. Translation is mine.

http://budzma.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/m2.jpg

It was quick and painless. Brian Hue Warner together with his Marilyn Manson band gave an hour-long concert in Minsk as part of the “Hey, Cruel World” tour right after arrival to the capital of Belarus. Americans were late and had to play without sound check.

Belarusians had to show their passports in order to get inside the concert venue. That was a compromise reached by the concert organizers and Minsk authorities as a response to demands by believers and moralists to ban the gig of the shock rocker, who, by the way, is forbidden to perform in 23 U.S. states. But as we know, Belarus is not America. What is allowed in the latter cannot be done in the former and visa versa. In fact, nobody really checked passports and the security was tactful and reserved watching “the parade of demons,” as one of the local cleaners nicknamed the fans of Manson. Had it not been for misunderstanding about the storage set up in a bus near the venue, there wouldn’t have been anything much to complain about how the concert was organized. People had to leave their bags and oversized cameras in that makeshift storage room but had trouble getting them back after the concert. They had to stand in the cold by the bus, hold their tag high and wait while the policeman gets their personal belongings from the pile in the bus.

Warner rushed to Minsk from Kiev where he had played the day before. The musicians were delayed at the border, so they reached the capital of Belarus just hours before the concert. The equipment was transported with delay, as well. Magically the technicians were able to set up everything practically minutes before the concert and had no time for proper preparation. As a result, the warm-up band from Belarus Drum Ecstasy did not perform, as for musicians from Marilyn Manson, they had to perform without sound check. The sound was worked on during the performance itself. It was hard to hear anything during the first tracks, so some audience members started joking that maybe it was some copycats from Russia. But somewhere in the middle of the set, when “Rock Is Dead” and “Personal Jesus” were performed, the sound was fixed.

Prone to sensations, some in the audience immediately saw some hidden meaning in the white-red-white make-up the fontman was wearing. I guess nobody explained the singer that these colors meant a lot to Belarusians and the Belarusian opposition members got to prison for using white-red-white banners. Another symbol used by Manson, the celebritarian double-cross could also be reinterpreted as the cross of Euphrosyne of Polatsk, one of the 15 patron saints of Belarus. Nobody from the special police force present at the venue twisted Manson’s hands for using the symbols. Everyone, including the police, looked at him like at the alien from space. Every third viewer was filming the gig with a small photo camera or a smartphone, despite the photo ban. The former musical journalist Warner very unwillingly communicates with the media. Photo journalists were allowed during one track only. Hence only terabytes of amateur shots will serve as the reminders of Manson’s gig in Minsk.

Despite expectations, nothing supernatural happened at the stage. 43-year old notably bulkier Brian paced the stage surrounded by the double-crosses. He changed his costumes after every song. By that he outran even Jennifer Lopez. The musician appeared as a glam drug addict, a Nazi, a transvestite, a preacher. He practically didn’t communicate with the audience. Just once he swore dirty and said: “It’s so cold here, I can’t image how you live like that. What revolutions do you expect?” The concert took place on the day when the end of the world was supposed to happen, so the artist tried to play on that by suggesting to rock on as it was the last day in our lives. Understandably, “The Last Day on Earth” was the right track for that. However, Belarusians didn’t rock to his apocalyptic songs for long. In about an hour, musicians threw their picks into the crowd and disappeared behind the stage. No matter how hard the audience tried to call them for an encore, they didn’t come out.

Holocaust_King
12-24-2012, 05:07 AM
Understandably, “The Last Day on Earth” was the right track for that.

Has this been played yet?

Cognitive Cue
12-24-2012, 05:11 AM
As far as I know, it was played in Kiev (Dec 20) and Minsk (Dec 21).

Holocaust_King
12-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Holy shit.

I hope he keeps it on the set list next year. (haven't been in the loop lately if you can't tell)

Hazekiah
12-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Some interesting information buried underneath all the bullshit, thanks for sharing!

AssetReign
12-24-2012, 11:19 AM
^ Yeah, namely how they tried to shift the blame for the delays away from their militant policies and onto the band.

Hazekiah
12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Right?

It wasn't the band's fault they got there late.

It wasn't the band's fault that they didn't get a soundcheck.

It wasn't the band's fault that the sound was rough at the start.

It wasn't the band's fault that the opening band didn't get to perform.

It wasn't the band's fault that the baggage check was a clusterfuck.

And so forth and so on.

The annoyed tone of the comments from the audience members interviewed in the other article posted here about what seemed like an otherwise perfectly fine show on YouTube are starting to make a lot more sense now. Too bad their disgruntlement was misdirected at the band. Hopefully, the people who have to deal with that bullshit regime on a daily basis understood what was really going on and maybe those misguided comments were just more bullshit propaganda from the state trying to cover its own ass.

Ugh.

:-\

AssetReign
12-25-2012, 12:34 AM
hahaha, gotta love these things. Feels like 90's again! :D

In particular, Personal Jesus. It's funny as hell around 1:55 or so when he starts singing gibberish like he's speaking in tongues, and you can see Lindsay cracking up.

Hazekiah
12-25-2012, 01:33 AM
It's not gibberish, it's just mumblecore unfortunately obscured by a loud-as-fuck badass band doin' their thing.

For the record, it's something to the effect of "Who says 'hallelujah'...? You don't remember [unintelligible], hallelujah!" Which is of course the same general theme as the rest of his rants later on in the song.

Regarding that same video, btw...can't help but wonder if Manson didn't maybe get his hands on a stack of those anti-Manson protester flyers and if THAT'S possibly what he threw into the crowd @0:28?

AssetReign
12-25-2012, 01:49 AM
^ You're so right. I stand corrected. There's a distinct difference between gibberish and mumblecore. :)

Norsefire
12-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Regarding that same video, btw...can't help but wonder if Manson didn't maybe get his hands on a stack of those anti-Manson protester flyers and if THAT'S possibly what he threw into the crowd @0:28?

Not 100% sure but I think usually it's american flags printed out on the paper. At least that's what it sort of looked like at one of the UK shows. Although it's hard to see in this video what's on the paper, would be cool if it was the protest flyers.

Dirge Inferno
01-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32qgbS_dAA8