PDA

View Full Version : Does the world need police officers and military's?

Shangri-LIE
08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
There's always been this "anti-military"/"anti-cop" sentiment from quite a few users here, that's pretty obvious. I'm not saying that it's a bad attitude to have. I am just curious to see what people have to say. It's a pretty simple poll topic. Do you think that country's need military's, and does society need police? Explain if you are for or against these types of authorities and why? This could get very interesting.

iggy
08-15-2012, 09:18 AM
In a perfect world? No. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, we live in a world of greed, genocide, government conspiracies and movie theater shoot outs. We live in a world of drug addicts and drive-bys. We live in a world of dictators and oil companies. I'd love to pretend we don't need the police and the military but the fact of the matter is humans are sick, greedy, violent pricks and will do anything and step on anyone.

They are a necessary evil.

AssetReign
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes. Without order there is chaos, without structure there is instability, without discipline there is lack of personal growth.

Atom
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Fucking shit. I voted "No" but meant to vote "Yes".

Obviously a country needs a military in order to "protect" itself from the military of other countries. We need police to protect the people of the country from criminals. Yes, the powers of the military and police are often abused and used to suppress others but their original purpose is still there.

People that truly believe the world would be a better place without the police or military are either naive or mentally retarded. I guarantee you that those same people who wish that there were no police or military would be the first to piss their pants and get shot/raped/stabbed/burned/held captive should it actually happen. People would go crazy and we'd eventually go back to what we had. I don't see anarchy as something that's sustainable but instead a part of a process that eventually brings us back to where we are right now.

Shangri-LIE
08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Fucking shit. I voted "No" but meant to vote "Yes".

Obviously a country needs a military in order to "protect" itself from the military of other countries. We need police to protect the people of the country from criminals. Yes, the powers of the military and police are often abused and used to suppress others but their original purpose is still there.

People that truly believe the world would be a better place without the police or military are either naive or mentally retarded. I guarantee you that those same people who wish that there were no police or military would be the first to piss their pants and get shot/raped/stabbed/burned/held captive should it actually happen. People would go crazy and we'd eventually go back to what we had. I don't see anarchy as something that's sustainable but instead a part of a process that eventually brings us back to where we are right now.

Agreed. Now we just wait for the people who intentionally will vote no. lol

Golden Eel
08-15-2012, 01:43 PM
There's always been this "anti-military"/"anti-cop" sentiment from quite a few users here, that's pretty obvious. I'm not saying that it's a bad attitude to have. I am just curious to see what people have to say. It's a pretty simple poll topic. Do you think that country's need military's, and does society need police? Explain if you are for or against these types of authorities and why? This could get very interesting.

I don't think anyone here is really anti-military or anti-cop. Just anti-fascism, in all of its forms. I'd expand on this, but iggy and Atom did a fine job already.

Shangri-LIE
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't think anyone here is really anti-military or anti-cop. Just anti-fascism, in all of its forms. I'd expand on this, but iggy and Atom did a fine job already.

Fair point. Fair point.

Sans Agendum
08-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Yes, we need police.

filthytothecore
08-16-2012, 10:13 PM
I think any ideal of a religion being involved in any polticial matter should go evaluiate how stupid they actually are. And some of the above posters ideals are ok but nearing the last is quacky as fuck and borderline loony.