PDA

View Full Version : What is the symbolism of snow?

Elizabeth Casto
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I think I am missing something. I cannot find anything online, or on here through the search bar. I get that Apple Of Sodom is a song about temptation and the garden of eden. Some could say its mocking and that we ate the poison apple anyways. Some say its genesis redone. But what is the symbolism of snow...specifically. As it relates to the song.

Also what is the significance of it in his stage show? There was snow during coma white..and it just has me curious.

Granted i just think of cocaine but Im certain that is not the answer.

FeedYourHead
11-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Cocaine.

*actually reads OP*

Regarding Coma White, I think it's a nod to the music video, in which it is also "snowing." Within the context of Coma White though I always thought of it more as ashes falling to represent the death, instead of snow.

brian219
11-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Everything I've ever heard from people who do dream interpretations, and the like, always said that snow is DEATH. Death seems to be a heavily prominent theme in Apple of Sodom, so I think that's exactly right.

Eating of the forbidden fruit brings about the result of having to die for the transgression, hence it's forbidden-ness.

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

In a sense it could just mean the death of innocence from eyes having been opened by certain understanding. "Oh, I pray it isn't true." A truth discovered that changes everything. A type of death in that once something is learned it cannot be unlearned, so your prior existence is dead. No going back.

I pray to die in space, to cover me in snow.

I'm dying, I hope you're dying too.

Elizabeth Casto
11-29-2012, 05:37 PM
So in theory it is about a change in perception as well as possibly a physical death.

Shangri-LIE
11-29-2012, 06:19 PM
To cover in a shroud of purity. It isn't just about physical death but also about about psychological deterioration due to burdens one can no longer can bare. I see his use of snow as a yearning to be immortalized/preserved at the height of his reign instead of becoming dried up and eaten alive until there is no more substance to draw from.

Sans Agendum
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Everything I've ever heard from people who do dream interpretations, and the like, always said that snow is DEATH. Death seems to be a heavily prominent theme in Apple of Sodom, so I think that's exactly right.

Eating of the forbidden fruit brings about the result of having to die for the transgression, hence it's forbidden-ness.

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

In a sense it could just mean the death of innocence from eyes having been opened by certain understanding. "Oh, I pray it isn't true." A truth discovered that changes everything. A type of death in that once something is learned it cannot be unlearned, so your prior existence is dead. No going back.

The apple of Sodom wasn't actually the forbidden fruit of Eden but a mythical cursed fruit that grew where the city of Sodom once stood, which would turn to ashes the moment it touches your lips.

"You've got something you can never eat".

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/apple_of_Sodom

blue angel
11-30-2012, 04:24 PM

That is how I've always considered it, as a death of innocence. His lament.

Shattered Dream
11-30-2012, 07:44 PM
It's snow.

/thread.

Dorothy
12-01-2012, 04:14 AM
I like the idea of snow as a metaphor for volatileness. Is it related to Apple of Sodom? I don't know.

brian219
12-01-2012, 05:16 AM
The apple of Sodom wasn't actually the forbidden fruit of Eden but a mythical cursed fruit that grew where the city of Sodom once stood, which would turn to ashes the moment it touches your lips.

"You've got something you can never eat".

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/apple_of_Sodom

It's actually not mythical at all, but fruit of the Calotropis procera found primarily in and near Israel. Much symbolism was attached to it by Jewish commentators because it so easily echoes the "forbidden fruit" motif of Genesis and the residue inside the hollow fruit looks somewhat like ashes when the globes explode, recalling the fiery destruction of Sodom and Gemorrah.

The parallels with the Sodom apple legend is mainly that what looks good to eat will actually bring death. It's echoed in the story of Pandora's box as well.

The Sodom account itself parallels Genesis a bit in that those rapey men in the city turned down the offer of fucking the virgin daughter, demanding that they instead be allowed to have a go at the angels (the forbidden fruit).

Now that I think about it, one other point comes to mind. Lot and his family were instructed to leave the city and forbidden to look back as they left. Lot's wife failed to comply and got turned into salt. A speed bump mannequin, she couldn't move, just stood still. This account also has a mythological parallel in the story of Orpheus, who was granted a chance to take his dead wife out of the underworld as long as he didn't look back and see if she was there. No salt involved, but in both cases the wife was lost because someone failed to follow simple instructions.

But really I think the song is about Fiona Apple, who, like Manson, appears to be one thing but is something else entirely.