PDA

View Full Version : Django Unchained

brian219
12-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Planning to see this tomorrow. Anyone else going?

MisanthroPope
12-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Nope, it says "nigger" too much.

Spike Lee put me up to this.

brian219
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
That's okay. I heard Les Mis says it almost twice as often.

Hazekiah
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
It may not be tomorrow, sadly, but I am planning on seeing this movie as soon as fucking possible.

Tarantino has NEVER let me down and I don't expect he ever will.

gunz
12-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I feel the same about Tarantino in my own opinion...I can't wait to see this film and also in hopes that leo gets killed :D

MisanthroPope
12-24-2012, 06:29 PM
In all seriousness, none of the trailers have really done anything for me. I'm hoping for the best but I'll probably wait for the dvd. I didn't like Inglorious Basterds at all and now I'm a little weary of Tarantino.

Anyone have any idea how much influence was pulled from Django? Other than the name and this supposedly being a Spaghetti Western, of course. I will be highly disappointed if there is no Gatling Gun in a coffin.

brian219
12-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I've seen no evidence for a coffin, though I have very high hopes that it will appear.

brian219
12-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Guess I should follow up on this.

My verdict: Unless you absolutely despise everything that Quentin Tarantino has ever made and you completely loathe all westerns, by all means see it.

--SPOILER--

Also, there's penis.

12-30-2012, 07:41 PM
I cannot wait to see this movie. I love Tarrantino.

Para-Noir
12-31-2012, 05:13 AM
The trailer doesn't do much for me either, but I am dying to see this anyway. Besides Jackie Brown, Tarantino has never disappointed and every single thing I read about Django is very positive. Sadly the movie is coming out in Holland in two damn weeks.

adamchabbi6
12-31-2012, 05:23 AM
I'm certainly looking forward to watching it at the cinema.

Norsefire
12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
I saw the trailer for this and I wasn't that excited about it. So I'm not that interested in paying out to see it at the cinema, probably going to wait for the DVD release.

ThreeEyedGod
12-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Let's get some more opinions from those who have seen it!

I love Tarantino, and have ok expectations for this...

TheTeletubbieFlasher
12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
AWESOME MOVIE! I will watch it again!

Celebrity Killing Spree
01-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Obviously, this is a good movie. For me, it happens to be his worst though.

There are plenty of moments of utter brilliance but they are mostly the punctuation on a messy, bloated run-on sentence.

There's just no reason this film couldn't have been 20 mins shorter. And it suffers for it. The double climax takes you right out of the movie.

All of that aside however, there are great performances all around, especially Samuel L Jackson.

kleiner352
01-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Obviously, this is a good movie. For me, it happens to be his worst though.

There are plenty of moments of utter brilliance but they are mostly the punctuation on a messy, bloated run-on sentence.

There's just no reason this film couldn't have been 20 mins shorter. And it suffers for it. The double climax takes you right out of the movie.

All of that aside however, there are great performances all around, especially Samuel L Jackson.

I've yet to see it and I'm a fairly large Tarantino fan (just haven't been able to yet), but the bloated aspect is honestly something that's a common complaint with most of his movies. The only one I have never heard that said of is Res Dogs (and Jackie Brown, but aside from a handful of people saying that's his best, no one talks about Jackie Brown in the first place). Not devaluing that complaint at all, but it seems to me like if you're gonna see a Quentin film you should be ready for lots of dialogue-heavy, "nothing actually happens but this is still oddly entertaining" scenes (like the diner scene between Uma and Travolta in Pulp Fiction, or the lengthy time spent showing Bud's life as a bouncer in Kill Bill Vol. 2, or the basement bar drinking scene in Basterds).

brian219
01-03-2013, 02:49 AM
I've yet to see it and I'm a fairly large Tarantino fan (just haven't been able to yet), but the bloated aspect is honestly something that's a common complaint with most of his movies. The only one I have never heard that said of is Res Dogs (and Jackie Brown, but aside from a handful of people saying that's his best, no one talks about Jackie Brown in the first place). Not devaluing that complaint at all, but it seems to me like if you're gonna see a Quentin film you should be ready for lots of dialogue-heavy, "nothing actually happens but this is still oddly entertaining" scenes (like the diner scene between Uma and Travolta in Pulp Fiction, or the lengthy time spent showing Bud's life as a bouncer in Kill Bill Vol. 2, or the basement bar drinking scene in Basterds).

You've pretty much nailed it. Doesn't mean that it not absolutely entertaining to see regardless of whether those scenes were neccessary. Although I will admit that within a western those scenes do tend to stand out slightly more as...I dunno, strange? Personally, I'd rather them be there than not.

Celebrity Killing Spree
01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Ithe bloated aspect is honestly something that's a common complaint with most of his movies.

This is certainly true and definitely how I felt seeing Inglorious Basterds for the first time. But that film slowly grew on me until the point where I almost consider it his best. In this case though, I feel it's a little different. Maybe you have to see it to know what I'm talking about. There really is an awkward double climax and a strong overall sense that a lot of scenes could easily have been combined into one and dealt with more effectively. There is still room for interest nonsequitors, and boy are there many, it's just the overall structure of the story that seemed bloated to me.

ThreeEyedGod
01-03-2013, 12:20 PM
That awkward double climax is the most legitimately annoying aspect of the movie: other than that, 7/10

Atom
01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
I thought it was great. His past few movies have had great moments where I just want to jump up and yell, "Fuck yeah!". Not many films make me feel that strongly for the characters and the events taking place. It's quite different from his other films, in my opinion. It's not nearly as dialog heavy as his past work, which is something many people either loved or hated about his films (I am in the "loved" group). So, I was left feeling a tiny bit empty after having watched a Tarantino film and not heard the heavy use of dialog. But it didn't ruin it for me one bit. It was appropriate for this particular film and its story.

Is it his best? Who gives a shit. It's an excellent movie that pays homage to Spaghetti Western films (which I fucking love). It has great actors, a great plot, you give a crap about the characters, and there's tons of violence. What's not to enjoy? For the people who disliked Tarantino's previous films because of the moments of long dialog they might be able to handle this film a bit better. If they didn't like them for the violence then they obviously won't like this one and I doubt they'll ever like a film the guy makes.

Another thing I liked about this film is that it didn't feel preachy at all. It could have easily gone that route and been made into some dramatic white-hating/white-guilt fest but it was handled very well and with a lot of care. People like Spike Lee, who are butthurt about this film, are just upset that they weren't clever enough to think of it first or pull it off as well themselves. Also, the fact that a white dude wrote and directed the film probably doesn't help. But that's a whole other topic and fuck them anyway.

I plan on seeing it again and buying the bluray.

MisanthroPope
01-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Well, I said I was going to wait for the dvd but a nice dvd screener was floating around online. I ended up really enjoying the film. The blood spraying violence was beautiful. All the actors did a great job with Sam Jackson being particularly hilarious. I would have liked to seen Calvin Candie as a more despicable villain. I'm still upset there was no gatling gun in a coffin and the bit of writing that led to a certain shoot out was silly to me but it's easily overlooked. The payoff was worth it. All in all, the whole film felt very Kill Bill Volume II, which I love. Definite DVD/Bru Ray purchase for me.

I didn't find the movie to be too long or dialogue heavy heavy at all. Tarantino is good at what he does. Even the extremely talky Death Proof just flowed so well.

Oh, and Katt Williams says he's going to punch Tarantino if he ever sees him. I would love to see that fucking midget try. Tough guy...

M Tragedy666
01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Tarantino has done it again! I absolutely loved it!! If I had any criticism at all, I suppose it would be that I feel Tarantino has re-used some of his old tricks and tactics that he's done on other films, so there was a little part of me that felt like I saw it before in a weird way. It felt very familiar which (a very small part of me) feels like "whats the point?" and maybe there could have been more artistic choices and twists. Like the talking at the table sequence which is meant for building anticipation, fear, and anxiety. Pretty much the same as the beginning of Inglourious Basterds when the guy was asking for milk...etc..., then again, at a table, when the jew girl was speaking to the same german that killed her family forcing her to eat dessert, then again at the end, which someone has mentioned, when they were all sitting at the bar playing card games and the dialogue for building of fear, etc... Except it was done better and with more tension in Inglourious Basterds.

I happen to LOVE the long dialogue sequences. I think Tarantino is a genius writer. And I LOVED Django. Thought it was superb. But there were just certain instances that felt kind of lazy like he was repeating himself. Of course, I wouldn't feel this way if I've never seen one of his films.

Golden Eel
01-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Christoph Waltz stole it again.

ThreeEyedGod
01-09-2013, 10:59 PM
I wish there would have been more scenes with the "head house nigger". I found his character the most interesting part of the movie.

Atom
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I wish there would have been more scenes with the "head house nigger". I found his character the most interesting part of the movie.

Same here. The fact that he was more vile and rude towards Django than even Candie was was interesting.

A guy I know said a group of black people angrily walked out of the theater and glared at the audience when that character (Jackson as Stephen) came on screen and started spewing racist profanities.

I guess his character was like really offensive and everyone should have been ashamed for being entertained by it? I don't know. People just want to bitch and moan about something especially if they have the opportunity to bitch about race.

It was a little awkward laughing at Stephen saying "Hercules? Mo' like 'Niggerles'!" in a theater with black people though.

TheTeletubbieFlasher
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
The only scene that seemed a little out of Mise-en-scène was the word Mississippi rolling across the screen. Yet it does well for his spaghetti western 70s throw back style. I liked the shot, but the timing of the rolling lettering seemed a bit long.

Crazy_Baby
01-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Really want to see it, it's STILL not out here for another week though gah! I always find Tarantino films enjoyable.

Atom
01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Really want to see it, it's STILL not out here for another week though gah! I always find Tarantino films enjoyable.

You can find a screener version of decent quality on a certain website down by the bay. If you catch my drift, me matey.

Just be sure to PAY and see it after when it's released at a theater there. I doubt you'll have trouble sitting through it again. I've seen it twice already and plan to see it a third soon.

Lucille
01-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Saw it tonight! Absolutely loved it! Loved everything about it!

gunz
01-19-2013, 11:14 PM
i just got out of the theater and this movie was amazing. I'll point out first the most weird part of the movie was Rick Ross music playing in the mid section of the movie it seemed out of place but made me laugh. The gore was perfect this time around, Samuel was freakin hilarious and the Doc did a damn good job on his portion. you need to see it point blank

Crazy_Baby
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
You can find a screener version of decent quality on a certain website down by the bay. If you catch my drift, me matey.

Just be sure to PAY and see it after when it's released at a theater there. I doubt you'll have trouble sitting through it again. I've seen it twice already and plan to see it a third soon.

Thanks, don't want to spoil it though I'd prefer to see it in the cinema first! Going tomorrow night all going well, can't wait.

Atom
01-24-2013, 08:12 AM
A wise choice.