PDA

View Full Version : Atheism and Richard Dawkins

MissZombilicious
12-31-2012, 05:30 AM
I have been an atheist for a really long time but I wasn't "converted", I just listened carefully to what was being told in school: biology, physics and chemistry. I just believed that science was more reliable than a holy book written centuries ago. At university I studied one semester something called "The history of ideas" and there I finally got a better understanding of modern science, of evolution, of Einstein's and Hawking's theories and the history of religion. Actually, I think everyone should be taught these things already in highschool (at least in elements) so people could be able to form an own opinion. That's something that I'm missing these days, that children and young adults aren't allowed to chose themselves what to believe in, they get indoctrinated by their parents and therefore rarely question anything connected to religion.

I don't know if I want this thread to be about atheism or Richard Dawkins. By Dawkins I have so far only read "The God Delusion" but it impressed me a lot because he has a huge knowledge of the Bible and can basically answer almost all attacks by theologians with a rational reply. I agree with almost everything written in that book. I think I'm taking up his name because he is the most famous atheist and promoter of a secular society. And his arguments are scientific, something that gives them even more strength in my opinion.

So, do you think that Dawkins is right? Should all religion be abolished? Is God just an excuse? Is there a possibility for the existence of God? Is the Bible out-dated? I'd rather have a rational and calm discussion instead of people flaming each other.

me_andre
12-31-2012, 06:11 AM
I have been thinking about this for a while myself. There must be some part of the brain in some people which aint ready do let go of god. Personally I can't understand it, except for trying to trick god into giving me material stuff while I was really young and whilst in desperate states; I never actually believed. Both Dawkins and Sam Harris have fascinated be lately when it comes to this subject. Manson used to satisfy my distaste in religion, but I also needed a more serious and less agressive point of view to resonate about this; the four horsemen of new atheism do this well. Personally I feel the old gods of the big relligions are past their sell by date. Human consciousness have developed byond this now and just like Greek mythology is looked upon as that, mythology, it is time for the monotheistic God to get in line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLRKzg

When it comes to spirituality I think feelings like that the universe is god itself and that we are part of an eternal consciousness, etc, can be answered by neuroscience; at least soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l0b2-0o

"So take your little black book
I see the way that you look in to it
I’ll eat it and I’ll cut my tongue
And all the pages you spread,
Sweet as honey you said
But I’m choking on your bitter stories"

Tabris
01-03-2013, 03:55 AM
I recently saw a really great debate about religion featuring Richard Dawkins. It really is worth a listen I think.
"An interview with renowned atheist Richard Dawkins on whether religion is a force for good or evil"
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/general/2012/12/2012121791038231381.html
The interviewer is really good, and even if you aren't interested in the subject, the debate is really quite fun to watch.

Myself, I see a lot of value in religion as part of human evolution, and it can bring about good spiritual health. However I don't see the existence of god or gods as something important to religion. If you forget all the attempts of religion to explain the world and just look at its role for spiritual guidance and mental health it isn't a bad thing... Man developed science to attempt to understand and explain the world and so religion doesn't need to fill this roll anymore.

I don't think religion is the sole cause for humans to be fanatical or dogmatic about certain views, nor do I believe it specifically creates close minded intolerant views. After all these qualities exist in people who are very religious and people who are not at all. Religion does provide a moral high ground for people to right in their bigotry though. I think fanaticism of anything can be extremely harmful, and that extreme dogmatic fanaticism is not only seen in religion.

"So, do you think that Dawkins is right?" - I think he is right to the extent that people should be encouraged to look at the world with an open questioning mind and avoid close minded dogmatic controlling views, but I think he is wrong to blame this on religion and demonize it so much.

"Should all religion be abolished?" - No, religion is created by man and the flaws within it are flaws in human nature, the good in it the good in human nature, completely abolishing it would potentially be bad for the spiritual health of many people, (a lot of people find help in religion) and would not remove the negative aspects of human nature.

"Is God just an excuse?" - I'm not really sure what exactly you are asking with this please clarify.

"Is there a possibility for the existence of God?" - Humans don't know everything, and our current understanding of the universe is not complete so you can't really say there is no such thing as a great sentient creator of the universe. However I kinda think that god/gods as religion describes them is a human concept, Like we used to have many gods and spirits for everything "thank the rain spirit that it rained" "thank the god of trees for this marvelous forest" "please let the souls of my departed friends and relatives remain happy in heaven with the god of death" it is much easier to just say thankyou to one all encompassing abstract idea in the end, for example saying grace, I mean you could say a long thing before every meal being thankful for the life of the animals, the labours of the farmers, the good fortune in nice weather, etc or you could just combine it all into the one abstract concept of god and thank the universe for your good fortune that way... to me that is what god is, an abstract concept and idea to send all our thanks and wishes to, so in a sense it does exist because it is everything but in a sense it doesn't because it is just an abstract idea that encompasses everything to make things easier.

" Is the Bible out-dated?" - Yes, the current bible comes from a time when religion did much of the explaining for our existence, which is now handled by science, there needs to be a diverge away from the idea that the bible tells the true history of the earth... Also humanity has evolved in it's morals and way it lives, technology has made some religious rules redundant, for example no sex before marriage, I mean in the past this made perfect sense, there was no birth control, so any sex could result in a child and bring a child in the world in an unstable environment with no clear means for supporting said child is pretty bad. But now there are so many forms of birth control it isn't so much of an issue to have sex before marriage. So this among many other rules that just aren't really needed in this age makes the bible out dated. For me heaven is being able to come to the end of your life and be able to die in peace with no regrets, and Hell is coming to the end of your life and dying full of regrets, religion gives people a strict set of moral rules to help all people achieve this, but most of these rules are outdated and don't apply to everyone these days.

R_Flagg
01-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I considered myself atheist until I realised it just made me obnoxious against religious people who didn't really deserve it. You see a lot of those types around nowadays. Sure when you compare atheism to the major religions in the world, it's definitely more logical and such. But really in a lot of cases talking about atheism for many is simply an opportunity to put oneself on the moral and intelligent high ground so these days I try and refrain from any religious discussion. I think there's probably something out there, but in what shape or form is probably out of our reach. Like teaching simple maths to an insect. Which is why I think trying to prove or disprove a god is among the most pointless things one can do. People don't need the excuse of a god to act like dicks to one another and this will never change.

ThreeEyedGod
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
This should be put with the other 3-5 atheist threads already on here.

Golden Eel
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I considered myself atheist until I realised it just made me obnoxious against religious people who didn't really deserve it. You see a lot of those types around nowadays. Sure when you compare atheism to the major religions in the world, it's definitely more logical and such. But really in a lot of cases talking about atheism for many is simply an opportunity to put oneself on the moral and intelligent high ground so these days I try and refrain from any religious discussion. I think there's probably something out there, but in what shape or form is probably out of our reach. Like teaching simple maths to an insect. Which is why I think trying to prove or disprove a god is among the most pointless things one can do. People don't need the excuse of a god to act like dicks to one another and this will never change.

When the majority of the world believes in medieval fairy-tales, and these stories control the way the world and society is shaped, the sane among us have every right to be smug and condescending. Sorry, it's that simple. I don't care if you have all the best meaning in your heart, if you believe in unicorns and leprechauns, you really deserve to be mocked. I know all the pussy liberals say we have to respect every belief and culture, but some of them simply don't deserve respect. Giving credence to every nonsense idea that is presented is an insult to any sort of intellectual discourse we may wish to have as a species.

So I guess I should say yes, I believe religion is possibly the most embarrassing blemish on this species. I believe it's indirectly responsible for many more cultural and intellectual issues than are realized. (Indirectly is an important distinction there.) It's not that organized religion itself causes all of the issues (although it causes more than enough), it's that the culture of ignorance it promotes causes issues. When people are taught that it's okay to believe in things like mainstream Christianity, they're taught that it's okay to believe in any number of absurd bullshit.

I don't think that religion's death will fix all the world's problems, not even close. But I believe it will unclog a major roadblock in the way of intellectual growth as a society and species.

brian219
01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
When the majority of the world believes in medieval fairy-tales, and these stories control the way the world and society is shaped, the sane among us have every right to be smug and condescending. Sorry, it's that simple. I don't care if you have all the best meaning in your heart, if you believe in unicorns and leprechauns, you really deserve to be mocked. I know all the pussy liberals say we have to respect every belief and culture, but some of them simply don't deserve respect. Giving credence to every nonsense idea that is presented is an insult to any sort of intellectual discourse we may wish to have as a species.

So I guess I should say yes, I believe religion is possibly the most embarrassing blemish on this species. I believe it's indirectly responsible for many more cultural and intellectual issues than are realized. (Indirectly is an important distinction there.) It's not that organized religion itself causes all of the issues (although it causes more than enough), it's that the culture of ignorance it promotes causes issues. When people are taught that it's okay to believe in things like mainstream Christianity, they're taught that it's okay to believe in any number of absurd bullshit.

I don't think that religion's death will fix all the world's problems, not even close. But I believe it will unclog a major roadblock in the way of intellectual growth as a society and species.

It sounds like your beef is actually with idiots. Take away religion and those people are still idiots. These, the vast majority of people, will believe whatever they are told, whether it's some type of religious issue or that the Commies are subverting the world through ideas. Religious or not these people will always remain dangerous for the simple reason that as the majority they have all the real power in the world. But honestly with the growing trend away from religion many of these types are simply following the media in the same way they once followed some minister. I think that could potentially be far worse since at least there were limits to what they could be made to believe when it came to religion.

With media people can be made to believe practically anything. Any news report that begins with "scientists say..." gets treated as gospel truth. All of a sudden atheists entertain the notion of a soul just because "scientists say?" Seriously? Science is great and all but academia is corrupt and highly politicized. Scientific research has gotten to a point where new discoveries are practically impossible to make without vast funding. And as with all things the money interests get to decide what's researched and what's reported. That's a situation that requires blind faith, which the majority have, and will always have, in abundance. It's just a matter of who has the means to aim it at what they want.

Golden Eel
01-04-2013, 02:57 AM
It sounds like your beef is actually with idiots. Take away religion and those people are still idiots. These, the vast majority of people, will believe whatever they are told, whether it's some type of religious issue or that the Commies are subverting the world through ideas. Religious or not these people will always remain dangerous for the simple reason that as the majority they have all the real power in the world. But honestly with the growing trend away from religion many of these types are simply following the media in the same way they once followed some minister. I think that could potentially be far worse since at least there were limits to what they could be made to believe when it came to religion.

With media people can be made to believe practically anything. Any news report that begins with "scientists say..." gets treated as gospel truth. All of a sudden atheists entertain the notion of a soul just because "scientists say?" Seriously? Science is great and all but academia is corrupt and highly politicized. Scientific research has gotten to a point where new discoveries are practically impossible to make without vast funding. And as with all things the money interests get to decide what's researched and what's reported. That's a situation that requires blind faith, which the majority have, and will always have, in abundance. It's just a matter of who has the means to aim it at what they want.

I don't think religion is the cause of any stupidity or ignorance. I think it is just the largest and most influential promoter, a stewing pot of ignorance. I think if such a colossal pillar of anti-intellectualism falls, people will be more inclined to think rationally and skeptically about things, including the examples you mention.

Swede
01-04-2013, 06:33 AM
This should be put with the other 3-5 atheist threads already on here.

I really need to throw some crap back at ya without disturbing the subject. Hopefully these really bad comments stops. If you can "moderate" well, then I can do the same. I have years of experience with this (somewhere else), and how about you? Facts: There are 14 (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/search.php?searchid=114793) threads with forum posts that contain the word atheism in a broader search, across all the forums seen, however, none of a more stimulating discussion., I think there is plenty of space to analyze this topic., I think your comment is not only ignorant but downright stupid. if you are however a moderator candidate so you should probably ventilate your vision with one. You are welcome to give your views on the topic but raising your post number with a sentence or two is just a sign of ignorance. MixMastahTee's abstract topic is a very good comment of the original author but I do not see that it is indicative about atheism, and really not about Richard Dawkins. Quote RD : Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence. /Q. When it comes to proving that there is some higher power science has always failed to find any evidence at all. Is it really science who have failed or could it be that there is no evidence for this? I think he points out the obvious.

ThreeEyedGod
01-04-2013, 09:02 AM
without disturbing the subject.

oop

Hopefully these really bad comments stops.

let us pray some really good comments starts.

I think your comment is not only ignorant but downright stupid.

whoah!

raising your post number with a sentence or two is just a sign of ignorance.

haha, is it?

I have years of experience with this

kool

Swede
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Haha, You're welcome

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death". -AE.

MissZombilicious
01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while myself. There must be some part of the brain in some people which aint ready do let go of god. Personally I can't understand it, except for trying to trick god into giving me material stuff while I was really young and whilst in desperate states; I never actually believed. Both Dawkins and Sam Harris have fascinated be lately when it comes to this subject. Manson used to satisfy my distaste in religion, but I also needed a more serious and less agressive point of view to resonate about this; the four horsemen of new atheism do this well. Personally I feel the old gods of the big relligions are past their sell by date. Human consciousness have developed byond this now and just like Greek mythology is looked upon as that, mythology, it is time for the monotheistic God to get in line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLRKzg

When it comes to spirituality I think feelings like that the universe is god itself and that we are part of an eternal consciousness, etc, can be answered by neuroscience; at least soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l0b2-0o

"So take your little black book
I see the way that you look in to it
Iíll eat it and Iíll cut my tongue
And all the pages you spread,
Sweet as honey you said
But Iím choking on your bitter stories"

I don't think that people's minds aren't open enough. I also don't think that they are too stupid. I think it has to do with fear! If there is no God, then there is no paradise. So life is all you have. They don't want to accept that! Sartre already said that 70 years ago and it's what existentialism is all about.

I love Sam Harris, my favourite quote of him is:

ďIt is merely an accident of history that it is considered normal in our society to believe that the Creator of the universe can hear your thoughts while it is demonstrative of mental illness to believe that he is communicating with you by having the rain tap in Morse code on your bedroom window.Ē

MissZombilicious
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I recently saw a really great debate about religion featuring Richard Dawkins. It really is worth a listen I think.
"An interview with renowned atheist Richard Dawkins on whether religion is a force for good or evil"
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/general/2012/12/2012121791038231381.html
The interviewer is really good, and even if you aren't interested in the subject, the debate is really quite fun to watch.

Myself, I see a lot of value in religion as part of human evolution, and it can bring about good spiritual health. However I don't see the existence of god or gods as something important to religion. If you forget all the attempts of religion to explain the world and just look at its role for spiritual guidance and mental health it isn't a bad thing... Man developed science to attempt to understand and explain the world and so religion doesn't need to fill this roll anymore.

I don't think religion is the sole cause for humans to be fanatical or dogmatic about certain views, nor do I believe it specifically creates close minded intolerant views. After all these qualities exist in people who are very religious and people who are not at all. Religion does provide a moral high ground for people to right in their bigotry though. I think fanaticism of anything can be extremely harmful, and that extreme dogmatic fanaticism is not only seen in religion.

I hadn't seen that debate before, thanks for sharing!
I think that it's kind of wrong to assume that religion is needed for the spirit or the moral. I mean, would religious people suddenlly all turn into unempathetic murderers if religion didn't exist? I don't think so. I am quite sure that when the Abrahamian religions were founded, there was a need for writing down certain rules but I think that most of those moral rules are unimportant today. We are political animals now, we can rely on the law, we don't need the Bible to tell us that we shouldn't kill. We should try to understand why we shouldn't kill. Anyway, but I see that some people think that they need religion for their spirituality and their moral. Though, spirituality is a concept which confuses me. I just don't have the need for spirituality.
I think religion causes close-minded intolerant views! Otherwise we wouldn't have wars that are based on religion. It's all about whose imaginary friend is bigger. I don't think I have ever met a tolerant religious person. They are mostly referring to the Bible to make themselves look good, they want to point out the differences and they don't see the similarities. I hate to say it but racism and religion are often correlated, Christians fear of Islam for instance.
I agree with you on the other things you said. Religion has played out his role for explaining the world. Science has taken over and people should get over it and instead try to understand the world. Fanatism and dogmatism can be found in all sorts of things. It happens when people don't question but only follow. Religious fanatics are just as dangerous as any other kind of fanatics. Dawkins has a good explainaton for why moderate religion is just as dangerous as fanatic religion. It's all about that the moderates are supporting the fanatics by believing in the same thing. It's actually what happened with Hitler and the Germans, racist fanatism.

"So, do you think that Dawkins is right?" - I think he is right to the extent that people should be encouraged to look at the world with an open questioning mind and avoid close minded dogmatic controlling views, but I think he is wrong to blame this on religion and demonize it so much.

I agree with you. People should use critical thinking while looking at the world. Everyone should be allowed and be able to question religion, science, politics and everything else. I don't think Dawkins is demonizing religion, he just sees the dangers with religion. He reconizes religion for what it is. And he is very good at using arguments against the stereotypical excuses: religion is needed for spirituality, personal experiences, the things science hasn't been able to explain that. I think we are in a time where science has finally been able to stand up against religion and its wrong preachings. And Dawkins is one of the people who are capable of doing that in a rational and grown-up way. Religion is not the sole source of all "evil" in the world, but it is one of the sources.

"Should all religion be abolished?" - No, religion is created by man and the flaws within it are flaws in human nature, the good in it the good in human nature, completely abolishing it would potentially be bad for the spiritual health of many people, (a lot of people find help in religion) and would not remove the negative aspects of human nature.

I think that religion should be abolished. And I think that even though there is religious freedom in many countries, we are heading towards a more secular world. Here in Sweden, religion has totally disappeared from politics. Actually, the most atheist countries are often the ones with the best social systems and they are the ones that are not suffering that much from the economic crisis. I think that the church as an institution defininetely needs to disappear. Faith should be a personal, subjective thing. I don't think that people need the spiritual help, that is just a myth. Religion is not a tool to survive mentally. I don't think people would feel worse if there wasn't any religion. There are therapists, there are psychiatrists. And charity doesn't have to be religious, there are lots of charities out there that have nothing to do with religion. I don't think the abscene of religion would remove the negative aspects of human nature. There will always be evil, there will always be good. Because that's how human beings are, with or without religion. Interesting statistics: More rapes, murders and robberies are happening in the deep religious countries than in countries with a strict secular law.

"Is God just an excuse?" - I'm not really sure what exactly you are asking with this please clarify.

I think I meant if religion is just an excuse for many people to behave in a certain way. I'm Christian so that's why I can hate on you. I don't need to achieve something in my life because as long as I don't behave badly I'll end up in paradise and it will all be good (eh, if you are Catholic, you can even be forgiven your sins ...).

"Is there a possibility for the existence of God?" - Humans don't know everything, and our current understanding of the universe is not complete so you can't really say there is no such thing as a great sentient creator of the universe. However I kinda think that god/gods as religion describes them is a human concept, Like we used to have many gods and spirits for everything "thank the rain spirit that it rained" "thank the god of trees for this marvelous forest" "please let the souls of my departed friends and relatives remain happy in heaven with the god of death" it is much easier to just say thankyou to one all encompassing abstract idea in the end, for example saying grace, I mean you could say a long thing before every meal being thankful for the life of the animals, the labours of the farmers, the good fortune in nice weather, etc or you could just combine it all into the one abstract concept of god and thank the universe for your good fortune that way... to me that is what god is, an abstract concept and idea to send all our thanks and wishes to, so in a sense it does exist because it is everything but in a sense it doesn't because it is just an abstract idea that encompasses everything to make things easier.

I agree with you. I love to refer to Russel's teapot when people say that I should prove that God doesn't exist. We first need real proof of his existence before we can scientifcally prove that he doesn't exist. I also think that Jehova/Yaweh is just an abstract concept that is a combination of all the ancient Gods that the Greeks and Egyptians had. And it's quite obvious and has been proven many times by historians and literature-historians. So why don't people educate themselves? Don't they want to know what it is they believe in? Why don't they open their horizons and try to understand where their faith comes from?

" Is the Bible out-dated?" - Yes, the current bible comes from a time when religion did much of the explaining for our existence, which is now handled by science, there needs to be a diverge away from the idea that the bible tells the true history of the earth... Also humanity has evolved in it's morals and way it lives, technology has made some religious rules redundant, for example no sex before marriage, I mean in the past this made perfect sense, there was no birth control, so any sex could result in a child and bring a child in the world in an unstable environment with no clear means for supporting said child is pretty bad. But now there are so many forms of birth control it isn't so much of an issue to have sex before marriage. So this among many other rules that just aren't really needed in this age makes the bible out dated. For me heaven is being able to come to the end of your life and be able to die in peace with no regrets, and Hell is coming to the end of your life and dying full of regrets, religion gives people a strict set of moral rules to help all people achieve this, but most of these rules are outdated and don't apply to everyone these days.

Exactly! That's the major problem with religion, it doesn't evolve. You can't modernize the Bible. Another thing that I find quite interesting is the history behind Bible-translations and how the version that most people read today actually is based on a number of misinterprations from the original Greek version. I mean, Maria wasn't a "virgin" and there is no "holy ghost"! (haha, I can't get over the fact that people actually believe in a holy ghost haha) in the original texts.

brian219
01-04-2013, 06:41 PM
The concept of "God" merely serves to give mankind a "reason" to exist. Also, it has served to give those that believe a reason to tolerate situations that would otherwise seem intolerable if not for the prospect of something better in another life. Without that concept the viewpoint that humans are just a larger version of termites makes a lot of sense. Like termites, humans seek out resources and consume them, breed and die. Perhaps one day mankind will reach the stars and burn through the resources of other planets. So? Still just pointless consuming. Maybe we'll eventually map the cosmos and know all there is to know. It's just feeding curiosity, just like a dog, curious about a tree it spots, must sniff. He sniffs and that's that. No real point except now he knows. Still pointless. Atheism offers no alternatives to the sense of "purpose" that religious systems offer. Without a sense of existence having some semblance of a point people no longer have a reason to behave. An individual who looks down the road and sees that his prospects are bleak may decide to kill himself without fear of consequence. For that matter, he might as well take some others out with him. Why not? He'll never have to answer to anyone for it. And really, who's to say it's wrong? Morality is just a mutable set of "rules" that nobody agrees on anyway. Might as well kill everybody and save all those planets that are out there waiting to be ravaged by us human termites. Surely that's a green way of looking at it.

OneOfTheBeautifulPeople
01-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Hello Mrs. Z my name is Katherine Nice to meet you. There, you have just met a tolerant Christian. I am not perfect in my faith I know I shouldn't cuss or do a lot of the things I do that's what we call falling short of God's glory. I would never preach at someone or force my opinions and beliefs on others either. I couldn't care less what other people's beliefs,sexual orientation,race etc... I'm a live and let live kinda gal.

Not Mechanical
01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
he has a huge knowledge of the Bible and can basically answer almost all attacks by theologians with a rational reply. I agree with almost everything written in that book. I think I'm taking up his name because he is the most famous atheist and promoter of a secular society. And his arguments are scientific, something that gives them even more strength in my opinion.

This is the reason I love Dawkins.
I don't like when people who argue against religion for the sake of being anti-authoritarian and controversial, because they usually have no good points to make and end up repeating the same cliches.
Someone like Dawkins, however, he's got a rational, well thought out argument backed up by a great knowledge of scripture and science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7AQTs_y5A

There was a Dawkins documentary recently called Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life, which was particularly interesting. It wasn't about whether or not God exists, but how people can live life, confronting issues such as those in the title, in a post-religious society.
Interesting ideas, I think as a society through a lot of Europe, and here in Britain, we aren't governed by religion so much anymore, but a lot of people still cling to various traditions and ideas, despite not believing in God, because they're familiar.

Personally, I don't find the argument as to whether or not God exists to be relevant or interesting, and as such often refer to myself as an apatheist.

violante
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Banning religion? All religions? Or just the ones which displease His Highness the most? Outlaw religious ritual, burn the books and buildings, forbid public and private religious oriented speech (prayer and conversation) as well as related writing and reading. Offenders risk penalty of death. But how to stop their irrational thoughts? Which reminds me- we need to crack down on those artists and the intellectual and scientific 'visionaries'. If we could just remove their free will and program their minds to think only literally and rationally, we could liberate them from their pathetic, sequacious slavery. hahahahaha (evil laugh).

AssetReign
03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
^ You could be describing The Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, and a multitude of other criminal violations against human rights all carried out in the name of God and religion.

Shangri-LIE
03-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Anyone who doesn't believe in God is a fucking idiot. How many times does he have to hold the sun up in the day and the moon up at night to SHOW us that he is real? Have any of you heard of the Fatima Prophecies? What about the movie Ghost? Did you see Sam walk into the light? Dawkins is a comedian. He's a satirist and you dumb anti theists buy into it. Gosh. P.S. Go buy some Sylvia Brown books.

FeedYourHead
02-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread, but the speculation in this article struck me as interesting because it's the first instance I've read of where it's a lack of religion/belief in god that fueled violence/possible hate crimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/muslim-student-shootings-north-carolina.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/muslim-student-shootings-north-carolina.html)

blue angel
02-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread, but the speculation in this article struck me as interesting because it's the first instance I've read of where it's a lack of religion/belief in god that fueled violence/possible hate crimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/muslim-student-shootings-north-carolina.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/muslim-student-shootings-north-carolina.html)

Yes, it seems that this is a hate crime so far as what I have heard in the media, and that is going by the killer's online social media musings.