PDA

View Full Version : Healthy 'swimmers' falling like flies

J.Lecter
01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Healthy ‘swimmers’ falling like flies

Sound the alarm! The reproductive health of the average male is in sharp decline!
According to scientists who care to contemplate such things, between 1989 and 2005, average sperm counts fell by one-third in a study involving 26,000 men, thus increasing the risk global infertility.
And on top of that, the amount of healthy sperm was also reduced.
These findings apparently confirm research over the last 20 years indicating healthy “swimmers” are in serious decline in many countries across the globe.
Researchers think the reasons for the drop in the sperm count may be tighter underwear (C’mon, man!), toxins in the environment (certainly possible) and also the increased consumption of saturated fats.
But so far, no clear connection to any specific cause has been cited.
Reminds me of a movie I saw once, A Boy and His Dog.
In this post-apocalyptic science-fiction flick (based on a novella by Harlan Ellison) the earth’s toxicity has reached such a poisonous level that the cream of society has to live in underground tunnels, leaving the rest of the population still on top, scavenging for existence.
But lack of exposure to the sun makes the subterraneans impotent, so they have to import young virile men from “up there” to help them procreate.
Let’s just say that when a young man (played by Don Johnson) is tapped to be a perpetual sperm donor it’s not exactly what he expected.
Richard Sharpe, professor of reproductive health at the University of Edinburgh, has called the declining-sperm study “hugely impressive” and has called for more research to determine what is the root cause of this potential calamity to mankind.
I have my own theories — completely unscientific but still I think worthwhile to contemplate.
Maybe Mother Nature is more pro-active than we think. Could it be possible that she has looked around at her world and has decided the place is getting too damn crowded?
Seven billion people currently inhabit our planet. Experts say, thanks to exponential growth, that we will reach 10 billion in no time at all. And after that our population numbers are too frightening to consider!
Resources will be stretched to the limit, pollution from all those people will perhaps threaten our environmental viability.
Is it stretching our imaginations too much to think maybe Mother Nature is looking around at this burgeoning begatting and saying, “Hold the phone!”?
Maybe this is wishful thinking but it’s certainly nice to contemplate a benevolent higher power that has our best interests at heart despite mankind’s infuriating tendency to shoot itself in the foot?
And there’s another scenario that I’ve considered. I see Mother Nature kicking back and watching some TV over the holidays and being appalled at certain commercials for those little blue pills that old geezers take to make their “procreative potential” stand up and take notice.
“Ewwwwwwww!” I hear the old gal muttering as she climbs up off of her La-Z-Girl “if men want to extend the withering shelf life of their tottering mojos to well beyond what is appropriate then I’d better do something.”
And the something she perhaps has chosen to do is to decrease man’s potential to make more people.

Rick Whelan
QMI Agency

I just found this so amusing! Also, I put this here because this is more a 'point of view' than news.
I also added a poll just to make it a bit more fun!

FeedYourHead
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
I came into this thread with the intention of writing "how is this post not about sperm count" except that it actually is.

Well played J, well played.

TheTeletubbieFlasher
01-13-2013, 09:23 PM
inbreeding is the problem!

J.Lecter
01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
inbreeding is the problem!

Damn! That's a lot of inbreeding!