PDA

View Full Version : JURASSIC WORLD

Norsefire
01-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Why isn't there a thread on here already?

[EDIT: RELEASE DATE PUSHED BACK 1 YEAR]
Saw this last night, the official Jurassic Park facebook page announced it last night "Just announced! JURASSIC PARK 4 is coming to theaters on June 12, 2015!"

There's been so many rumours over the years that 4 is going to be made and it never has been and I don't think they've ever really confirmed it before either. So this confirmation with a release date is a good sign that it's definitely happening!

J.Lecter
01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Only the first one was good.

The Ghoul
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Only the first one was good.

Only the books were good.

Hazekiah
01-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Two weeks before Transformers 4...gonna be a BIG summer for Spielberg!!!

I wonder if this means we'll finally see Dinobots in the new trilogy.

:P

thatrussianman
01-13-2013, 03:13 AM
<--- Don't mean to brag but I'm the biggest JP fan on the site. I love the books, First one was the best, the second is a great guilty pleasure, the third was ... please make me forget. Even I can't make excuses for that.

JP4 is bad and good news. Of course I'm going to see it, but when has the 4th sequel in a franchise EVER been good

J.Lecter
01-13-2013, 11:19 AM
I wonder if this means we'll finally see Dinobots in the new trilogy.:P

Now this is a movie I'm excited to see!

Shangri-LIE
01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh I fucking love this. I can't wait. I cannot wait over a year I need this NOW.

MisanthroPope
01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
You know, I would really love to see some aquatic life tossed into this one. Could you imagine a Jurassic Park film with a Megalodon in it? It's silly but there is now less room in my pants from the mere thought of it.

Atom
01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Have you guys seen the alleged abandoned concept art for Jurassic Park 4?
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/human-dinosaur-hybrids-in-abandoned-jurassic-park-4-concept-art/

Fucking weird.

MisanthroPope
01-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Have you guys seen the alleged abandoned concept art for Jurassic Park 4?
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/human-dinosaur-hybrids-in-abandoned-jurassic-park-4-concept-art/

Fucking weird.

I saw those a while back. Some cool designs but not what I would expect or even really want from a JP flick. It just seems like it would have been a really bizarre route to head down for the franchise.

Tater
01-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Using this gif again cuz dahgjdfghfdlgkjsdhgksadljfksad;lgfad;
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4gho6mDUv1rvq30ao1_500.gif

filthytothecore
01-14-2013, 01:46 AM
I really can't wait either. Love the movies.

Norsefire
01-14-2013, 05:00 PM
That concept art says at the bottom that the article was updated because ILM said it was nothing to do with them, so it kind of makes the whole thing a bit sketchy on if it was for JP 4 or not.
I thought the art was really good... for some fucked up horror film, but for a JP film I don't think it's good at all.

Can't wait for the details and teasers to come for this film, so eager to find out what this one will be about.

Atom
01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Whether or not it was real concept art it would have been fucking ridiculous for JP4.

I've not read the books but I have heard from people who have read them that they were much darker than the film(s). I'd personally be fine if JP4 was a sort of reboot with that darkness intact.

Terrapin
01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Jurassic Park IV: What We Want (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/jurassic-park-iv-what-we-want?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social)
Hold on to your butts!
Daniel Krupa | January 15, 2013

It's been over 10 years in the making but Jurassic Park IV is finally happening. It's been given a release date of 2014, but there's no word yet on plot, cast, or director. So being a self-diagnosed Jurassic Park obsessive, here's what I'd most like to see next summer.

Welcome to Jurassic Park, Again

The Lost World pulled something of a cheap trick. There was a second island: Isla Sorna, or Site B, as it was known to In-Gen employees. It was here that state-of-the-art laboratories were built, and the dinosaurs for the amusement park were engineered and cloned. But what’s happened to Jurassic Park (Isla Nublar) in the last 20 years? I think Jurassic Park 4 should return to that primal scene – back to where the raptors devoured Muldoon, where LINUX is still the OS of choice, and where one T-Rex continues to rule the earth. It’d be a huge nostalgia trip, taking in some of cinema’s most iconic locations, transformed by the passage of time: a run-down visitor centre, reclaimed by strange prehistoric flora; the magnificent park gates ravaged by tropical weather. But it needn’t be confined to those familiar settings, located mainly to the North and East of the island. What about the geothermal power station high up in the volcanic mountains? Or the villages of indigenous people who Hammond persuaded (bribed) to leave the island? These have only ever been alluded to in the novel and in tie-in products, but never before seen on screen.

The masterstroke, however, would not be just going back to the island, exploiting its immense nostalgic power, but to justify that return. To do that, it would need to feed into a larger plot, ideally built around the events of the first movie. Perhaps John Hammond has died, leaving a recording informing key individuals – Grant, Malcolm, Sattler – why they must go back to Jurassic Park. It could be as simple as there being something that needs to be deactivated or recovered. What about the can of shaving foam used by Nedry to steal Dino DNA (as contained in William Monahan's and John Sayles's abandoned script (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/18166))? Did they leave a perfect MacGuffin, drowning in the mud of Isla Nublar. It doesn’t have to be ingenious, but it can’t be as flimsy as another island or a rescue mission for a rich family’s child.

No one’s been back. Why would they? In those 20 years what has happened to that environment, that ecosystem, without human interference? A deleted scene from The Lost World says that all life on the island was destroyed by dropping napalm from the skies (as in the novel). But Spielberg cannily left this out, presumably leaving open the possibility of returning sometime in the future. Hopefully, Jurassic Park IV is that film.

The Return of the Doctors

Maybe it’s warm and fuzzy nostalgia that’s clouding my judgement on this one. Yes, 20 years have passed, and yes, Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum are 20 years older – and probably quite incapable of going faster – but such a big part of that first film’s charm was the volatile chemistry between the cautious archaeologist and the cavalier mathematician. Grant was the reluctant hero (and in Spielberg fashion, a reluctant father figure too) – he wanted to believe in Hammond’s project, an ambition that brought to life his fossils and research. But he knew, as all life scientists do, that nature is red in tooth and claw, and none is potentially more red than the six-inch retractible claw of a velociraptor. Malcolm, on the other hand, was more cynical from the get-go; he knew it was doomed to fail, a gross historical paradox that could only resolve itself through bloody chaos. It’s a dynamic that would be a dream for any script writer. Each actor has appeared in sequels for the franchise but never together. Can the magic be rekindled?

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/01/GrantMalcolm-610x309.jpg
What a pair of PhDs.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe to go Back into the Water

Each JP sequel has introduced different dinosaurs – the stegosaurus was introduced in The Lost World and in JPIII we were introduced into the lesser known Spinosaurus, which towered above the T-Rex, and flying dinosaurs in the form of pteranodons. Part of me wants the upcoming sequel to keep things simple: raptors, brachiosaur, triceratops, dilophosaurus and a T-Rex. In short, all the dinosaurs of the original. They all perform slightly different functions and represents varying levels of threat. But one thing has never been fully exploited and that’s underwater dinosaurs.

Okay, so they’re not technically dinosaurs, but aquatic primordial beasts are an absolute must. Think giant sharks with strange jaws (Edestus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edestus)), gigantic fish with buck-teeth (Dunkleosteus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkleosteus)), or any of the plesiosaurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plesiosaur), but especially the terrifying Kronosaurus or the fearsome Liopleurodon. And why stop there? Prior to seeing the very first dinosaur in Jurassic Park, Ellie Sadler picks up a leaf dating from the Cretaceous period. What about other exotic forms of prehistoric life, creating an entire ecosystem pulled violently into the modern day? You could have giant snakes (Madtsoiidae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madtsoiidae)) or huge scorpions (Pulmonoscorpius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonoscorpius)). Maybe they’re straying too far from the spirit of the series, but there’s one beast from another time that, I think, would make sense: the Megaladon. Imagine a great white shark but 10 times the size. That’s absolutely terrifying. You could be in danger of straying into low-rent natural horror movie territory, nature running amok – think but how brilliant would it be if JPIV was not only Spielberg’s return to the JP franchise but also his spiritual sequel to Jaws.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/01/Megalodon_scale1-610x326.png
Giant shark! What's not to like?

Regardless of the creatures involved, it’s a must that both visual and practical effects are used to bring them to life. Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wobbled when it went all digital. One of the reasons JP defiantly stands the test of time is down to its savvy mix of pioneering CGI and established animatronics.

Life Finds A Way

Jurassic Park is all about life. It’s a film about evolution, how nature ingeniously adapts to protect itself, overcoming man’s best ways to control and confine it. As Malcolm pithily phrases it, “Life finds a way.” So even though the sentimentalist in me doesn’t really want this to happen – I want gas-powered jeeps and West Indian lilac – but part of me thinks the series deserves something much bigger and braver. The sequel has been over 11 years in the making, it can’t just be a bunch of people running away from dinosaurs on a island, can it? Both sequels are structurally retreads of that first movie, and I’m not sure if it’d really work for a third time. I’m not suggesting an out-of-control flea circus instead, or a brutal kitchen sink drama in which characters eat melting ice cream for two hours. Not that out of the box. But what about some of those scripts that have floated around Hollywood?

Treatments which talk of Judas strain creatures engineered to wipe out the existing dinosaurs, of humanoid dinosaurs, and an elite squad of intelligent dinosaurs trained for a special mission. Maybe they’re too outlandish. But how about a road movie in the style of Monsters, following a family as they try to escape from the US’s Southern States where dinosaurs have invaded? I don’t know the solution, but the principles of evolution can sometimes apply to other aspects of life, not just biology. Maybe Jurassic Park IV will have to mutate if it wants to survive, critically and commercially.

You Didn't Say The Magic Word: Spielberg

Spielberg is quite open about how disappointed he was with The Lost World. His heart just wasn’t in it. Famously, the post-production for Jurassic Park overlapped with the pre-production and shoot for Schindler’s List; Spielberg would be filming in the muddy fields of Poland during the day, while working with ILM on digital dinosaurs in the evening. You couldn’t imagine two more contrasting projects, but looking back now, each one nicely represents the two contrasting halves of Spielberg’s career to date. It was a turning point for Spielberg, and his next film, The Lost World, suffered – it came at a time when the director was reevaluating his art and had lost his love for the genre that had brought him great success. Why was he now making a film about dinosaurs chewing people after he’d won the Oscar for depicting the plight of the jewish people during the Second World War?

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/01/JPSpielberg-610x343.jpg
Spielberg moments after poisoning the last living dinosaur.

In the years following The Lost World, Spielberg continued to make more serious, weighty, worthy material – Munich, War Horse, Lincoln, with Saving Private Ryan earning him a second Academy Award along the way. It would be ridiculous to claim that Steve Spielberg has something to prove, but with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull faltering, I think ‘late-Spielberg’ has another classic blockbuster in him. I think he could still show the likes of Nolan and Snyder, weened on the fake butter smell of his very best popcorn movies, how it’s really done.

Hazekiah
10-23-2013, 02:22 AM

I wonder if this means we'll finally see Dinobots in the new trilogy.

:P

Just took a look in this old thread and realized I never mentioned that I TOTALLY FUCKING CALLED THAT!!!

So, yeah...after years of fighting the tide Michael Bay has finally decided to include the Dinobots in his Spielberg-produced Transformers movies. Which already staked its claim as the reigning king of 2014's dinosaur-centered summer blockbuster YEARS in advance of this film's announcement that it was shooting for a release date perilously close to that of Transformers: Age of Extinction.

The thing is, the Jurrasic Park franchise hasn't been able to find its footing in forever while the Transformers franchise has been making about a billion bucks with each very recent outing. And dinosaur toys haven't sold anywhere NEAR their 80s heyday numbers lately.

So, personally, I'm of the opinion that (in addition to its own production hiccups) this film's delay till the following summer may well have been due to Spielberg's canny business sense realizing that the are only so many dino-movie bucks to go around and therefore its probably best NOT to have his own movies competing against each other for the same audience. Not to mention that it might be a good litmus test for the moviegoing (and toy-buying) public's willingness to once again embrace the dino-market. Better safe than sorry, right?

Should be interesting to see how this continues to unfold.

:)

MrBonestripper
11-05-2013, 07:23 PM
loved the 1st one
and the book was alright

the other movies were lame

not having high hopes
or expectations
for the 4th

eh

Norsefire
02-15-2014, 10:01 AM
BUMP!

This FB page / website is probably the best resource I've found for keeping up on all Jurassic World activity.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jurassic-World/214980405256637
http://www.jurassicworld.org/

Norsefire
04-27-2014, 08:05 AM
If anyone else is interested, they've been filming this now for just over a week. I've been following this page: www.facebook.com/ReelToursHawaii but if you don't want to be spoiled, don't visit it! They actually get close to the sets and update on where they're shooting in Hawaii and stuff.

Norsefire
11-23-2014, 09:10 AM
15 seconds teaser trailer is officially out! Full trailer comes out Friday!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1566154523615929

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1566154523615929" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1566154523615929">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/JurassicParkUK">Jurassic Park</a>.</div></div>

FuckmanQ
11-23-2014, 09:15 AM
I am excite!

Norsefire
11-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Universal just released the full trailer early!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

FeedYourHead
11-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Ohhello Kitty Sanchez.

Wait though. So, the key plot point for JW is that they genetically modified dinosaurs to create a hybrid/new species? Did they like, run out of dinosaur species to feature, or something? This is kind of a huge cop out, no? Seems kind of like a rather effortless attempt to try and modernize the concept of Jurrasic Park and have it appeal to audiences that only care about new technology sci-fi and expensive special effects. Also, seems like they're running out of more creative and interesting plot ideas. The main reason I love the JP franchise so much is because I love dinosaurs so much. Please don't turn it into another Avatar/Transformers-type thing and completely forget the nerdy/dorky sect of fans that have been so loyal to JP. Obviously I'm not expecting them to turn out a documentary about dinosaurs, but I hope they're relatively realistic and accurate scientifically.

Anyway. I totally just teared up when I heard the JP theme song towards the end of the trailer.

S.D.
11-25-2014, 05:10 PM
So, the key plot point for JW is that they genetically modified dinosaurs to create a hybrid/new species? Did they like, run out of dinosaur species to feature, or something? This is kind of a huge cop out, no? Seems kind of like a rather effortless attempt to try and modernize the concept of Jurrasic Park and have it appeal to audiences that only care about new technology sci-fi and expensive special effects.
Well there's only a two minute clip to reference for now, so this might be too hasty an assessment. It's worth considering the trajectory of the prior three instalments also.

Jurassic Park was about a 'potential' live amusement facility, it was never actually given the greenlight by Hammond after the Isla Nublar events, and so we only saw Ingen's development at the test-stage. The lawyers and scientists were shown an 'honest' range of dinosaurs, ones that not only existed historically, but which represented the widest selection of Carnivores and Herbivores the layman would commonly recognise, whilst also appeasing palaeontologists.
Even though Ludlow attempted to use an abandoned facility in San Diego, the dinosaurs seen in The Lost World were specified as being animals that had been allowed to run wild, breed, and start to evolve naturally on Isla Sorna, which was the main breeding site for the Jurassic Park facade. Although the carnage was familiar, the main difference was that those animals had never known captivity, unlike the park animals from the previous film.
Still though, when we re-visited Isla Nublar in Jurassic Park III we saw evidence of the genetic tampering InGen had been experimenting with, and so this next stage in Jurassic World is only the logical progression. If it follows the canonical events of those three films relatively closely, we can ascertain that the hybrids witnessed in III were already part of the experimentation process even before the events of Jurassic Park, and so any modified species we might see in ...World were always part of the InGen stratagem.

I think the majority of the dinosaurs you see in the trailer are legitimate species, but much like the less bombastic third film, the threat of a Tyrannosaur is a little dampened on audiences now, as both it and Velociraptors were the main predators in the first two films. The Spinosaur was used in III, but for the sake of the audience and to reintroduce the threat of a massive dinosaur, the producers may have opted for a genetically modified centrepiece.

I think the passing of time since the first two major Jurassic Park blockbusters might result in some deliberate nostalgia on-screen, you can see shades of Alan Grant and Tim in Owen and Zach, maybe they'll be able to pull that off without it seeming forced.
I am looking forward to the film, I don't think you'll ever truly recapture the magic of the original, but as a firm fan of all three former instalments, I think this will be fun.

Also, I am sure I'm not the first, and won't be the last, but how the fuck does Bryce Dallas Howard share genes with Ron Howard?

FeedYourHead
11-25-2014, 07:09 PM
I was actually thinking about what a huge shame it is that they already so prominently featured a spinosaurus, in the worst (imo) of the three films, no less. It would have been such happy coincidence if they had held off and first introduced it in this fourth film, with the spinosaurus just having been on the goddamn cover of National Geographic, and all the real life drama that went into the excavation and study of this now celebrity, largest-ever dinosaur.

Golden Eel
11-25-2014, 08:30 PM
I just want to say that I appreciate when companies and artists roll with leaks, in that they release an official HD version of their product ahead of schedule once a leak happens. You can't put the cat back in the toothpaste tube, but you sure as hell can scrape it up and replace it with the best damn toothpaste you got.

Shangri-LIE
11-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Cool. A hybrid Velociraptor/Tyrannosaurus Rex "D Rex"

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/jurassic-world-trailer-premiere-can-super-raptor-squad-kill-d-rex-397000

FeedYourHead
11-25-2014, 08:56 PM
^ uggggh smh

http://imageserver.moviepilot.com/diabolus-rex-dissecting-the-d-rex-jurassic-world-s-new-terrifying-dinosaur.jpeg?width=640&height=481

S.D.
11-26-2014, 05:12 AM
I was actually thinking about what a huge shame it is that they already so prominently featured a spinosaurus, in the worst (imo) of the three films, no less. It would have been such happy coincidence if they had held off and first introduced it in this fourth film, with the spinosaurus just having been on the goddamn cover of National Geographic, and all the real life drama that went into the excavation and study of this now celebrity, largest-ever dinosaur.
Sure, I understand, but what I was getting at is that InGen have never been historians, even if Hammond was a visionary it was always about opportunism and merchandise, that much was established in Jurassic Park with all the monogrammed cars and porcelain plates etc. As a lifelong enthusiast of the prehistoric, certainly it would be more terrifying to see real dinosaurs brought to life in the park outright, but in terms of the narrative, I can see why they'd want to try for the crowd-pleasers (both within the film and for real-life audiences).

I actually quite enjoy Jurassic Park III. I can of course easily see why others don't, but for the sake of suspending disbelief, it's a minimalist, unassuming story that doesn't fuck around in butchering people from the early stages, Alan Grant is back on board, and it's a fun romp. The Spinosaur is a little shoe-horned, but I think it's important to remember that story-telling decisions don't always mirror production schedules. Jurassic World was meant to enter pre-production not long after the release of III, which if it had, might have meant the progression to Spinosaur becoming the dominant aggressor in the fourth instalment. Similar to how it's three Velociraptors and one Tyrannosaur we're scared of in Jurassic Park, which then turns into two Tyrannosaurs, a baby one, countless Velociraptors and loads of Compsognathus in The Lost World. Had Jurassic World followed III straight away, Spinosaur may have made the grade to more centralised bad-guy.

Shangri-LIE
11-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Ohhello Kitty Sanchez.

Wait though. So, the key plot point for JW is that they genetically modified dinosaurs to create a hybrid/new species? Did they like, run out of dinosaur species to feature, or something? This is kind of a huge cop out, no? Seems kind of like a rather effortless attempt to try and modernize the concept of Jurrasic Park and have it appeal to audiences that only care about new technology sci-fi and expensive special effects. Also, seems like they're running out of more creative and interesting plot ideas. The main reason I love the JP franchise so much is because I love dinosaurs so much. Please don't turn it into another Avatar/Transformers-type thing and completely forget the nerdy/dorky sect of fans that have been so loyal to JP. Obviously I'm not expecting them to turn out a documentary about dinosaurs, but I hope they're relatively realistic and accurate scientifically.

Anyway. I totally just teared up when I heard the JP theme song towards the end of the trailer.

As a fellow dinosaur connoisseur and prehistory geek, albeit from mostly a coloring book, cinematic and plaque reading museum goer position, I have to agree but mostly disagree with that last sentence. With the hybrid Raptor/T-Rex, "D-Rex", one could hypothesize that they were trying to reincarnate Nanotyrannus which was more agile and smaller in size compared to a Tyrannosaurus but also bigger than a Velociraptor. Even with the original Raptors we had presented to us with the first film, they had more characteristics of Deinonychus. This was to give them a more, while inaccurate, startling and larger than life depiction for cinematic entertainment more than to be on the mark scientifically. Right now, we only know of about 600 - 700 species of dinosaurs/pre-cenozic creatures and not a lot is actually known about them aside from very partial fossil records, (there are very few full skeletal finds), and speculation. That's what makes them so fascinating. That is also why I have no problem if some of these new Dinosaurs don't fit into the realm of realism or not. As for Spinosaurus, this animal actually had the dexterity and balance that the T-Rex did not. As a matter of fact it is still being debated if the Tyrannosaur was an actual predator or not. Given the fact that the average Tyrannosaur was about 17 feet tall and 40 feet long, weighing about 5 tons with a posture that was mostly lateral, it would be hard to chase down prey and make precise turns to adjust to something flocking from it without it screaming "I've fallen and I can't get up". lol.

With that said, it gives a TON, pun intended, of creative room for conjuring up sensational creatures for the entertainment of the viewers, which most are just that. The original idea for the film was to have the Dinosaurs equipped with weapons, used by Ingen, to combat terrorists. No, I'm not kidding. So at least we were spared from that. When it comes to the franchise and the films themselves, accurate to which genus they got right or wrong, I don't mind it. To me, it's about the wonder. The suspense. That's what it is supposed to be. There are so many other fossils of species that could exist, that are believed to have existed but haven't yet been discovered that are being used in this film. It's supposed to be captivating and that's it. I also love that they are using the Pteranodon in this movie because instead of the land carnivores that we're all used to, this adds to the paranoia of some giant kamikaze animal picking off unsuspecting visitors in the park/beach area where they are unknowingly being stalked from the skies. They aren't in cages like they were in JP III.

More people. More dinosaurs. More things that could go wrong. Very excite. #lifefindsaway lol

And now an obligatory cat reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjsV2arR-Go

Norsefire
11-26-2014, 08:05 AM
There was a lot of talk when the rumours went round that JW will feature hybrid dinosaurs, but I think it actually turns out that was all in the original book or something. So it turned out it's not some new idea they've had to make a new film, it's based on original ideas before.
As long as it's not stupid, and it doesn't seem to be so far from what I've seen and read, then I'm all for it. If JW was a real place, it would be fantastic that people have created a totally new dinosaur, not one brought back to life but one that never existed.

JP3 was also set on Isla Sorna, so this is the first time we actually return to the original island Isla Nublar. I wonder if we will see some history on the clean up of Jurassic Park and re-building Jurassic World, I once read in a cut scene from Lost World they discussed Isla Nublar being totally cleaned up and costing so much to do it.
But...
I've also read online that the visitors center from Jurassic Park is still there on the island just totally trashed and overgrown. The new Jurassic World was built in a different area on the Isla Nublar, so maybe just the dinosaurs were cleaned up off the island.
I would be interested to see some Isla Nublar history being shown briefly in the film.

I think what's great is that Jurassic World is totally what was envisioned and here it is actually happening. It's now real, it's open to the public and it's successful. This is exactly what I've wanted to see happen in a JP film ever since I saw the original, what if the park wasn't trashed and it did open up.

As I expected we didn't see much at all of the new dinosaur, mostly just heard it. But what I found interesting was the Raptors at the end of the trailer being released and running along side the guy on his bike, they're not out to get him, they're working with him! I can't wait to see what the hell is going on.

Shangri-LIE
11-26-2014, 08:14 AM
There was a lot of talk when the rumours went round that JW will feature hybrid dinosaurs, but I think it actually turns out that was all in the original book or something. So it turned out it's not some new idea they've had to make a new film, it's based on original ideas before.
As long as it's not stupid, and it doesn't seem to be so far from what I've seen and read, then I'm all for it. If JW was a real place, it would be fantastic that people have created a totally new dinosaur, not one brought back to life but one that never existed.

JP3 was also set on Isla Sorna, so this is the first time we actually return to the original island Isla Nublar. I wonder if we will see some history on the clean up of Jurassic Park and re-building Jurassic World, I once read in a cut scene from Lost World they discussed Isla Nublar being totally cleaned up and costing so much to do it.
But...
I've also read online that the visitors center from Jurassic Park is still there on the island just totally trashed and overgrown. The new Jurassic World was built in a different area on the Isla Nublar, so maybe just the dinosaurs were cleaned up off the island.
I would be interested to see some Isla Nublar history being shown briefly in the film.

I think what's great is that Jurassic World is totally what was envisioned and here it is actually happening. It's now real, it's open to the public and it's successful. This is exactly what I've wanted to see happen in a JP film ever since I saw the original, what if the park wasn't trashed and it did open up.

As I expected we didn't see much at all of the new dinosaur, mostly just heard it. But what I found interesting was the Raptors at the end of the trailer being released and running along side the guy on his bike, they're not out to get him, they're working with him! I can't wait to see what the hell is going on.

That's also what I am excited about. See my reply that I posted just a few minutes ago. It is as if the incidents that ocurred on Hammond's watch never happened, also the events in the sequel and third film. The park is open. It's a complete reinvention at the same time sticking mostly to the "We played God and now look what happened" theme to the original. Even if it is unrealistic at points, it still is exciting to see what they have made of it.

S.D.
11-26-2014, 08:25 AM
You're right actually, Norsefire, it's been a few years since I've watched the whole trilogy back-to-back, so I'd mistakenly put the chronology as Nublar/Sorna/Nublar, but now I remember that line of dialogue Grant has where they think he can navigate them and he says "I've never been on this island".
Even so, there's the close relationship between both sites, and we only really saw the 'During' and 'After' stages of either. Jurassic Park was Hammond showboating what could take place in a park, whereas The Lost World and III were the evolution and aftermath in different locations (Jungle/Suburbia). I think as testament to the effects of the first two films, the 'pure' dinosaurs still stand the test of time, so for that historical fix, we can see those movies, but it makes sense that to appeal to modern audiences, you see a little hybrid action in the next instalment. It configures with the thematic as well, given that even though they are technically genetic creations, it looks as though even Raptors might fear this new animal, I'm sure they're running with Owen on the bike, and not at him...

Shangri-LIE
11-26-2014, 08:31 AM
You're right actually, Norsefire, it's been a few years since I've watched the whole trilogy back-to-back, so I'd mistakenly put the chronology as Nublar/Sorna/Nublar, but now I remember that line of dialogue Grant has where they think he can navigate them and he says "I've never been on this island".
Even so, there's the close relationship between both sites, and we only really saw the 'During' and 'After' stages of either. Jurassic Park was Hammond showboating what could take place in a park, whereas The Lost World and III were the evolution and aftermath in different locations (Jungle/Suburbia). I think as testament to the effects of the first two films, the 'pure' dinosaurs still stand the test of time, so for that historical fix, we can see those movies, but it makes sense that to appeal to modern audiences, you see a little hybrid action in the next instalment. It configures with the thematic as well, given that even though they are technically genetic creations, it looks as though even Raptors might fear this new animal, I'm sure they're running with Owen on the bike, and not at him...

"All our theories about Raptor intelligence, what they were capable of, we weren't even close. They were smart. They were smarter than dolphins or whales. They were even smarter than primates." ..........."Makes you wonder what else they were up to".

S.D.
11-26-2014, 08:46 AM
"Makes you wonder what else they were up to".

http://www.independenceday.pro/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/towers.jpg

Shangri-LIE
11-26-2014, 08:49 AM
http://www.independenceday.pro/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/towers.jpg

Kamikaze Pteranodon Drones. The Pale Falcon has risen. You've been in on this all along. Now I wonder what you had to do with this? I also wonder if they are going to be fighting ISIS in this film.

FuckmanQ
11-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Yes this is correct, in the trailer the original location in the park is labeled as "Restricted Area" in the security room where Bryce Dallas Howard turns her head. Thought I'd make that known.

My only complaint though is mainly with the plot. What is the justification for allowing InGen to make another park? Why tamper with DNA on that level again (talking about the Hybrid) knowing full well what happened when the DNA was spliced with Frogs. I mean when they did that in the first film the Dinosaurs changed their sex to accommodate for lack of sex to mate. So why fucking splice a Tyrannosaur, Velociraptor, Cuttlefish, and a fucking snake? Those are my only grievances and I'm sure the film will explain it. Overall I'm thoroughly impressed and I think Collin Trevorrow understands how to balance homage with new.

FuckmanQ
11-28-2014, 02:04 PM
The official website is slowly rolling out the dinosaurs that are featured in the park. Obviously we knew T-rex was back but I found something quite intriguing in the image itself take a look.
http://www.jurassicworld.com/media/dinosaurs/tyrannosaurus-rex/info-image.png
To me this looks like the same T-rex from the first film, if you look at its neck and face area it seems to have some scars that are consistent to the end of the first film with the Raptor vs T-rex battle. Just a thought, who knows.

Mi-CroMartie
11-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Starlord, Guardian of the Galaxy on a bike chased by raptors, awesome.. Hope this might redeem itself than the 3rd one..

Freeston3r
12-20-2014, 04:01 AM
This movie is gonna be epic! I was obsessed with this franchise as a kid. Hurry up June!!

Hazekiah
11-18-2015, 07:45 PM
OMFG THE VERY BEST PART OF JURASSIC WORLD: The test-tube baby-momma has a quick talk about motherhood before a SEVERELY innuendo-laden chat with her bf and WHAT is the very first thing she says...?!?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Hazekiah/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1742_1_zps7kzshruz.jpg

Shangri-LIE
11-21-2015, 04:19 AM
OMFG THE VERY BEST PART OF JURASSIC WORLD: The test-tube baby-momma has a quick talk about motherhood before a SEVERELY innuendo-laden chat with her bf and WHAT is the very first thing she says...?!?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Hazekiah/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1742_1_zps7kzshruz.jpg

"Because I'm Bryce Dallas Howard and if you don't fuck me, you'll never get into Heaven after your Raptor Sister Wives DEVOUR YOU! "...You...You forgot that part, Haz.

Hazekiah
11-21-2015, 03:34 PM
I suppose I was too busy focusing on an angle of interpretation which is actually suggested by the themes of the film itself and the dialogue surrounding that particular scene...?

o_O

Shangri-LIE
11-22-2015, 03:22 AM
I suppose I was too busy focusing on an angle of interpretation which is actually suggested by the themes of the film itself and the dialogue surrounding that particular scene...?

o_O

Who cares? Shut up. Shut up. Whatever. Whatever. Just watch the scene again, fagit. She actually says that.

Hazekiah
11-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Pretty sure she didn't, but okay.

Shangri-LIE
11-28-2015, 01:12 AM
Pretty sure she didn't, but okay.

I even put LOL's to indicate that I was joking, but okay.

FuckmanQ
11-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Shangs the problem is you were trying to do a spoof but you were missing the essential ingredients. You can't do a spoof-soup without a Gaf, Goof, and Laugh. Goof + Gaf = Laugh. A Laugh + Gaf = a Spoof. You missed the objective completely. Also, have you seen a Chef?

S.D.
01-14-2017, 03:03 AM
Despite the hype, I didn't see Jurassic World when it came out. Like my recent Star Wars chronology before Rogue One, I decided to watch the Jurassic Park trilogy this week, and then check the new one to see whether a more recent addition to the franchise would add to, or improve on anything that began in 1993.
An original film about genetically-engineered Dinosaurs is obviously a bit silly in the first place, but then so are most fantasy or science-fiction stories, it's not really about that. Jurassic Park was a well-crafted, believable adventure. Aspects of it are a little far-fetched, but it was made by people who know how to create illusions, and actors whose careers weren't perched on the cusp of GAP adverts and SNL comedy sketches.

Jurassic World is an awful, soulless, piece of shit, infested with horrible CGI and green screen from start to finish. Despite the best efforts of Chris Pratt (who always seems likable), not one actor in this horrendous film can carry the story or action from start-to-finish. None of the sets are engaging or enjoyable to look at, the plot resides within a flimsy, boring world of computer game cutaways, and nearly every scene looks and feels like the convoluted plot to a shitty music video. Nothing about it builds upon the original premise, even Jurassic Park III had more consistency in terms of casting and cinematography.

Amateur, B-Movie garbage with a big budget.

Hazekiah
01-14-2017, 08:59 PM
I'm seeing a lot of snarky digs and random potshots up there but not really finding much to back them up.

In terms of Jurassic World not building on the original premise, I thought the idea to effectively "weaponize" the dinosaurs after three movies of them constantly breaking loose and outsmarting humans then slaughtering everyone made sense as something that caught the military's eye and was an interesting way to move forward. Hell, Bryce Dallas Howard's character herself shows how well even a Tyrannosaurus can be trailed to follow the person running with flares and fuck shit up once they get there, lol...which of course built upon Dr. Malcom's brave maneuver from the original. Not to mention the premise of one-upping their previous dinos by genetically engineering the Indominus for the sake of showmanship, which likewise clearly builds upon the basic concept at hand while serving as a fun bit of meta-commentary.

So that criticism in particular rings hollow.

Sure, the Indian park director/pilot guy and D'onofrio were kinda ham-fisted but then again we're not exactly talking about a franchise known for its subtlety or nuance, are we? Same goes for the suburban kids and their stupid decisions contrasted with their sudden handiness with garage mechanics, lolwut. But you could find equally retarded characters in all the other installments so it just is what it is, ultimately.

Overall, I thought this film had a lot going for it and some neat ideas executed well by capable talents. Interesting and fun symbolism with the whole irresponsible "mother" motif I mentioned at the top of the page, for instance. Bryce Dallas Howard running around in a low-cut top in the mud. Chris Pratt disguising his scent to escape the Indominus, his role Alpha Male leading the pack and the moment he realizes what a badass he is and can't help but enjoy the moment, the raptor DNA in the mix with the chameleon DNA, the return of the original Tyrannosaurus from the original for her hero moment, plus the Mososaurus out-of-nowhere at the end, lol. Fun laughs, massive casualties, good action, nice 3D, etc.

Hell, it was nice to finally see more of the island as an actual, functional theme park, too. After three previous movies it's strange that the fourth one was the first to really give us a cohesive sense of the island's overall layout and geography. But I guess that's dipping back into the well of this movie expanding upon the promise of the franchise again.

Anyway, I liked it.

Especially as a new installment of the Jurassic Park franchise, it represented its forebears well, did them justice, and did what it had to do with a good sense of fun, bloodshed, and adventure.

Looking forward to Trevorrow's Ep. IX!!!

The Ghoul
01-15-2017, 09:01 AM
I liked the movie quite a bit. It's not the best of the series, but it's far from being the worst either. I mean, for whatever flaws JW has, at least there was no pre-teen girl kicking a raptor with a gymnastic trick... that was awful and for that reason alone, The Lost World is the nadir of the franchise.

spaceSuicide
01-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Jurassic Park > The Lost World / Jurassic World >>>>>>>>>> III

The Ghoul
01-15-2017, 12:48 PM
https://caragaleblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/lw-17.gif?w=670

The existence of this scene renders your opinion invalid. I won't even mention the T-Rex rampage in San Diego.... :p

Hazekiah
01-15-2017, 04:40 PM
I liked the movie quite a bit. It's not the best of the series, but it's far from being the worst either. I mean, for whatever flaws JW has, at least there was no pre-teen girl kicking a raptor with a gymnastic trick... that was awful and for that reason alone, The Lost World is the nadir of the franchise.

The existence of this scene renders your opinion invalid. I won't even mention the T-Rex rampage in San Diego.... :p

It's a pretty goofy scene, to be sure. Still not a dealbreaker, though.

But, yeah. The Lost World is a decent installment and the awesomeness of getting a T-Rex on the mainland easily outweighs OMG FLYING DINOS enough to keep it safely outranking Jurassic Park III no matter how you rank the others, as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, when it comes right down to it they're all basically the same movie with a few twists and turns and tweaks to varying degrees of success, so I think The Lost World deserves extra kudos for at least breaking the formula more than most of the others even tried to do anything particularly new. Which isn't to say it's my FAVORITE, just that it would never come in last on my Best of... list.

S.D.
01-24-2017, 05:55 AM
In terms of Jurassic World not building on the original premise, I thought the idea to effectively "weaponize" the dinosaurs after three movies of them constantly breaking loose and outsmarting humans then slaughtering everyone made sense as something that caught the military's eye and was an interesting way to move forward.

It's an interesting and potentially rewarding concept, for certain, but its introduction in Jurassic World was done so with so little conviction and by such underwhelming characters that it fell flat very quickly. Dodgson and Dennis Nedry offered a more believable subterfuge under InGen's nose in the original film, and they shared about seven minutes of screen time. Vincent D'Onofrio's villain was a cardboard cut-out antagonist, with no motivation other than being bad. My eyes slid off the screen every time he was on it.

Hell, Bryce Dallas Howard's character herself shows how well even a Tyrannosaurus can be trailed to follow the person running with flares and fuck shit up once they get there, lol...which of course built upon Dr. Malcom's brave maneuver from the original.
Malcolm was specifically shown to be a novice in that original scene, ignoring Grant's protest despite good intentions. As a result that T.Rex does fuck shit up, but for all the human characters, rather than some other Dinosaur. The closing scene in Jurassic Park is specifically about happenstance and nature, rather than man's mastery over the animals. If that T.Rex hadn't arrived just wanting to be a T.Rex, Grant, Satler and the two kids would have been killed by Velociraptors, and probably Malcolm and Hammond upon their arrival.

Every moment of the T.Rex scene in Jurassic World just smacked of the director wanting to replicate the original imagery.

Sure, the Indian park director/pilot guy and D'onofrio were kinda ham-fisted but then again we're not exactly talking about a franchise known for its subtlety or nuance, are we? Same goes for the suburban kids and their stupid decisions contrasted with their sudden handiness with garage mechanics, lolwut. But you could find equally retarded characters in all the other installments

You can, but they're at least introduced and implanted at reasonable pace. Maybe if all the other factors surrounding some of these people had been introduced with more care I'd have cared about them more. You don't need to know a great deal about Grant, Hammond, Satler - or heck, even Ludlow, Carr and Stark - because they are already within their respective zones upon introduction. With Masrani and Hoskins (Even Wu, actually), their roles besides being "bad" are so muddy and lacking depth that you're not engaged with them at all, from first-to-last. All it took was for Ludlow to undermine Malcolm in two seconds at the beginning of The Lost World and you recognise he's the asshole.

Anyway, there's a few people I know who also enjoyed the film a lot. I didn't have any expectations for it, so I guess I wasn't disappointed, just unaffected and bored by what I felt to be a shitty, empty film. I suppose if there's another installment on the way, it could redeem itself, but if the same team are on board, I don't hold out much hope. :(

Hazekiah
01-26-2017, 11:40 PM
It's the Jurassic Park franchise and Jurassic World broke a billion bucks at the box office, lol...I can assure you that the sequel is already in development, lol.

Anyway, the director wasn't the writer and even when the writing wasn't exactly setting the world on fire with its brilliance the film was still a very enjoyable visual experience, so I'm still really looking forward to Trevorrow's ninth episode of the Star Wars franchise. Filmed in 70mm with aspirations to actually shoot some of the space stuff in space for real, etc.

He's got some pretty interesting ideas for it certainly has the world at his fingertips to make it happen!

And I wasn't trying to say that Malcolm himself trained the T. Rex, just that Bryce-Dallas-Whatever-Her-Name-Was replicating the experiment with the road-flare to save the day is probably about as close as the layman can get to "training" a T. Rex on the fly, or at least exploiting its nature reliably for a desired effect. Which plays into the whole weaponized-dinos subplot neatly enough.

The rest is pretty subjective. For instance, I guess you found slapstick-goofball Nedry more compelling that D'onofrio for whatever reason but to me they were both just ham-fisted fat guys the audience is supposed to hate while awaiting their inevitable comeuppance. Same difference. When we're getting down to criticizing the PACE at which lame characters are introduced in their respective films then it's really just a matter of splitting hairs at that point, lol.

It a fun movie with a bunch of stupid shit.

They all are.

Enjoy it or don't, it's w/e.

:)