PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn Manson & Time

Norsefire
01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I was watching West of Memphis the other night when a quote from Damien Echols stood out, it's a great quote but it's how it ended and reminded me of something to do with Marilyn Manson.

"There’s no such thing as the past, it exists only in the memory. There’s no such thing as the future, it exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate the only thing they would ever say is now."
- Damien Echols (http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Like-A-Good-Quote/2858153)

When Marilyn Manson re-launched his website in 2011 his home page had his current activity posted to it with a title of "NOW". So maybe it's possible Echols quote was an inspiration for that. Manson and Echols are friends so it's possible, same as I'm sure it was mentioned here that Echols may have something to do with Manson and the iching which also appeared for the first time on the same site relaunch.

http://i48.tinypic.com/x4hs39.jpg

As we know Marilyn Manson has discussed time quite a bit during Born Villain where he's not had a clock or a watch. I think he's mentioned just using his iphone but mostly and living no sense of real time, so you could say it's always NOW for Marilyn Manson. Found a couple of quotes on this, but there are more, I just can't find them right now.

"Time is really hard for me to measure. I think that's maybe why I will never really grow up.
If you ask me what day of the week it is..."

What day is it?
"Wednesday or Thursday...? It's Thursday!
I don't know, time... it's just numbers..."

You don't care?
"It's just numbers, I care but I don't let it govern me. I don't let it control the way I feel and think."
- TV 4 Play - June 2012 (http://www.providermodule.com/marilyn_manson_news.php?fn_mode=fullnews&fn_id=449)

"I have no real sense of time frame.
Part of it's being on tour, but part of it's just my whole life time has been very linear, doesn't make any sense to me.
I have a really good memory, which is kind of a curse sometimes you don't want to remember a lot of things that you've done. Something that happened 10 years ago is very similar to something that happened yesterday to me, in some ways.

I will look at my phone to see what day of the week it is sometimes."
- Kerrang! - July 2012 (http://www.providermodule.com/marilyn_manson_news.php?fn_mode=fullnews&fn_id=456)

So that's something I saw and wanted to mention on here but when thinking about Marilyn Manson and time I thought a thread based on that might be good.

I'm sure someone else posted on here somewhere about Marilyn Manson's clock on his website during the release of EAT ME, DRINK ME in relation to lyrics of Are You The Rabbit?, but again a handless clock can't show any time and goes back to the whole no sense of time that Marilyn Manson has.

Sans Agendum
01-24-2013, 06:15 PM
I like Manson's pondering on the concept of time as well. There was an interview where he spoke of humans having multiple selves in multiple points in our lives that can communicate with each other. Like your future self isn't really you so s/he can send you messages in the form of spontaneous ideas and such. I thought that talk was really profound and fascinating.

The above, though, kind of reads like something anybody else would be shrugged at for.

"Time is just a 'theory' man. Like Gravity and Evolution. Ya dig?" -Marilyn Manson

Halo Infinity
02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
This very topic has reminded me of Meat For A Queen, and I also have a feeling that he's thought and felt of time that way for a very long time.

"You can't prove anything that happened yesterday. Now is the only thing that's real."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk75rSsriTk

kleiner352
02-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I think it definitely clicks with the entire idea of the Triptych. Some people have outwardly called it bullshit, others totally drink the Kool-Aid (I sure do), others see it as an in-between thing.

But here's where I'm connecting that:

Okay so we all know it's released backwards. The ending is the beginning, the beginning is the end (somewhere in there is a Smashing Pumpkins reference), and so essentially the actual story goes in reverse chronology to the actual release of the albums. To me that whole idea of starting with the end and working your way to the start but not even realizing you were doing that until you hit that "beginning" that is literally speaking the "end" really fits in with the idea of disjointed time.

Also this reminds me of in Long Hard Road when he mentions that he believes everything that ever was and ever could be is dreamt every night, again it fits into the idea of everything being less a straight line and more a gigantic network of branches, with events sometimes having defining ends but always leading back to the roots. Everything kind of blends into everything else.

A Better Messiah
02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
"This is where it starts, and this is where it will end."

Felt appropriate.