PDA

View Full Version : American Horror Story

TheBornVillian89
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I downloaded the first series of AMH and going to start it very soon. I have heard some very good things about it and it seems like the sort of thing I would enjoy watching,I also thought it would be a good idea to make a thread to discuss this show as the new series is airing in June I think.

alexismbench
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I love American Horror Story. Last night the finale for season 2 was on, so I'm not sure what you meant by the series airing in June? If you are just starting to watch season 1, I would advise you not to read any responses about discussing the show because I think that it could spoil your enjoyment of the show. The less that you know about it when you watch it, the better, IMO. The surprise factor of the show is what really mades it so great!

I preferred season 1 to season 2, although season 2 ended a lot stronger than the 1st season.

Come on, guys- there has to be a few people around here that liked it, too... Anyone?

Celebrity Killing Spree
01-24-2013, 11:27 PM
I gotta admit I fucking loved season 1. In my mind it was close to the best thing to happen to horror in years. That being said, last season's finale did not do the rest of the season justice and left the show on a messy note.

This season was even worse. It started off clumsy and didn't seem to have any of the off beat humour of the first season. There were even more unnecessary plot lines than season 1 and I just generally didn't 99% of the characters. Eventually it got better though, as veterans Lange and Conroy were given more screen time and though I wouldn't say the season particularly great there were some really strong moments scattered throughout.

And this time around the finale was poignant, gritty and occasionally beautiful.

All in all, less aliens, less Anne Frank, less freaks living the woods and more emphasis on real madness over miscellaneous horror tropes and it could have knocked it out of the park.

Still, I'm very happy they decided to go with a new storyline this season. I can't wait to see what's coming for season 3!

DecayingSinner
01-25-2013, 05:34 PM
I still have to watch the Season 2 finale. Although I thoroughly have enjoyed both seasons, I prefer the second season. What a twisted plot. I don't want to mention any spoilers for those who haven't seen it, but the name game was certainly the highlight.

thousand_kisses
01-25-2013, 09:28 PM
last season was great, but i liked this season a lot better since it was so much darker. could have done w/o the aliens since that whole story line didn't really seem to add much or really go anywhere, but otherwise -- insane asylum, demonic nuns, mad doctor conducting experiments on patients, serial killers -- what's not to love?

sayyosin
01-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm avoiding this thread until I finish the second season. I'm pretty behind (ep 8).

The first season was entertaining, but the 2nd is definitely better so far.

alexismbench
02-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm avoiding this thread until I finish the second season. I'm pretty behind (ep 8).

The first season was entertaining, but the 2nd is definitely better so far.

HEY BORNVILLAIN89, don't read this post cause I talk about SEASON 1.
sayyosin: No spoiler here for you but I was just wondering- what is it about the 2nd season that you like better? I've noticed a pattern, that everyone has a preference between season 1 & 2 and rarely have I spoke to anyone that says they like both seasons about the same amount. I love horror flicks, and when I watched season 1 I felt like I was watching a horror flick & not a TV Show. I loved the whole tie in about infidelity and how it almost seemed like the Dad (Dylan McDermott) was getting what he deserved for being unfaithful to his wife by having the whole situation happen with Hayden (Okay, that sounds stupid, but I had quite a similar situation in my personal life where I could put myself in Vivian's (wife) shoes. No Ghosties trying to terrorize me or mistress getting killed with a shovel, but I think you get my point. 'Nuff said).
I loved the IDEA of season 2, but I was a bit disappointed by the first 4-5 episodes because I had very little interest in the characters, and it was difficult for me to see Even Peters as anyone but Tate from season 1, and the same with Jessica Lange... I just kept seeing her as Constance and so I had a difficult time becoming interested in their new characters since they were such a 180 from their characters in Season 2. But, last half of Season 2 changed my whole idea of it, and it totally redeemed itself for me. And, I loved Francis Conroy in Season 2!!! I've always loved her since her role Six Feet Under, & her character(s) in Season 2 were badass and she is a hell of an actress. Did you guys know that she really does have the eye injury in real life that she had on the show for season 1? She was in a pretty bad car accident, and it damaged her eye, and the skin around it. In real life, she wears a corrected lens so her eyes are the same color and has said she had learned a lot of make-up tips to give the illusion of little, if any, scarring. The writers wrote the part of her younger self character as getting shot in the eye because during her audition, she told them she wears a corrective lens and then took it out so they could see her eye discoloration and apparently they thought it looked cool and wanted to use it in the show.
I can't wait till season 3. The creator of the show apparently put hints in like the last 3 or 4 episodes to where Season 3 will take place and what it will be about. He did that in Season 1, but I never caught on that the hint was that Vivian was committed to the psychiatric hospital therefore revealing it was going to be an asylum.
DecayingSinner: Agreed, The Name Game was the highlight of season 2, really!

alexismbench
02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, this is off topic, and I'm sorry about that-m but I really need some help here. Can someone PM me, or reply to this and tell me how to put space in between my paragraphs so it doesn't look so jumbled together and difficult to read? When I type the post, I press Enter a few times after every paragraph, and it shows in my preview of the post but when I post it, it pushes it all together like it is in my above post! Am I doing something wrong here???
Sorry, I'm EXTREMELY new to participating in forums. THANKS in advance.

MisanthroPope
02-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Glad to see Lily Rabe confirmed for season 3. Many of my favorite moments of season 2 were thanks to her Devil possessed Sister Mary Eunice.

(m)ALICE
02-03-2013, 12:30 AM
I love AMH...Mary Eunice and Dr. Arden were unforgettable...I prefered Season 2 to Season 1, but insanity fascinates me so maybe I'm biased...Can't believe it's over for the season already...:(

MisanthroPope
02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Does anyone else absolutely hate Lana Banana? I rooted against her the entire season and I really wish the confrontation with her son had ended VERY differently.

Celebrity Killing Spree
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
^ I honestly didn't relate to most of the characters this time around. The only point I found Lana somewhat interesting was in the last episode.

MisanthroPope
02-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I liked and/or was entertained by most of the characters in season 1. I really wanted a happy ending for the Harmons. I had ZERO emotional investment in season 2.

Holocaust_King
02-05-2013, 04:57 AM
I loved season one.

I'll be checking out season 2 in it's entirety soon, I've heard very good things.
The concept of a horror anthology tv show, in which each season is the next entry in the anthology rather than each episode, is something that hasn't been attempted too often.

DecayingSinner
02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Does anyone else absolutely hate Lana Banana? I rooted against her the entire season and I really wish the confrontation with her son had ended VERY differently.

May first, but it all changed once she was in the basement.